PDA

View Full Version : Sarloc's Heir [closed]

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

Erikkin
2005-05-31, 09:36 PM
Fizahn:

*Fizahn edges around the mysterious figures, remaining as far away from them as possible. Nearly slipping, Fizahn recalls the blood on the floor and silently curses at it.*

OOC: Where do the big evil undead people come in the initiative order? Fizahn's going to try to maneuver into a flanking position with Thokk or Taern.

Dr._Bob
2005-05-31, 11:03 PM
The room is small, and consequently Fizahn is able to edge around to the far side of the chamber without getting embroiled in the melee.

Once he is in position, he is able to make out the four combatants faintly outlined against the relative brightness of the open doorway.

OOC: The creatures act after Linda but before Taern.

McMouse
2005-06-02, 01:37 AM
Taern lowers her shoulder and charges the one closest to her, swinging with mighty slashes of her Falchion, trying to easily decapitate one of them and roaring in fury at the monstrosity of the dead risen from their graves.

"I'll cut you to pieces, you foul undead! You'll wish you'd never been born, you unnatural freaks! Die now, and get gone from this world! Die! Die!"

OOC: Moving to engage the closest monstrosity, and entering barbarian Rage (4 rounds +4 Str +4 Con). This bumps her HP total to 37, but drops her AC to 13.

She attacks at a +8 for 2d4+7 points of damage.

sacreddeamon
2005-06-02, 03:54 PM
Thokk

*Shouting, pronouncing each word*

"DIE. YOU. FOUL. UNDEAD!"

Dr._Bob
2005-06-03, 10:43 AM
With each word, Thokk chops at one of the rotting creatures until it completely loses its structural integrity, collapsing into half a dozen body parts. Its limbs still twitch spasmodically, but it is no longer a threat.

The remaining two zombies continue to pound Thokk with their greatclubs, but Thokk simply ignores them as their blows simply glance off of his armor.

With wild eyes, Taern charges into the fray. Unfortunately, the darkness and the rage bubbling up inside her both serve to cloud her senses. She bodily collides with one of the zombies, and both she and the monster almost lose their balance. Meanwhile her falchion slashes downward and shatters one of the old wooden chairs.

McMouse
2005-06-04, 12:23 AM
Taern quickly swings around, with her falchion, attempting to catch the thing with a powerful swing.

Dr._Bob
2005-06-04, 01:05 PM
Thokk continues to hack and slash at the two remaining zombies as they continue to pound back at him. Bits of rotting flesh fly through the darkness, splattering Fizahn and Taern.

Fizahn wipes the gore from his cheek and attempts to peer through the darkness but continues to have problems making out who is who in the gloom.

Taern attacks with abandon, and her falchion sinks so deeply into the back of one of the zombies that its tip protrudes from the creature's sternum by a hand and a half! Unconcerned, the creature continues to beat futilely at the heavily armored dwarf.

Belial_the_Leveler
2005-06-04, 05:03 PM
OOC: sorry I haven't been able to update

If Linda can't see any of the enemies then she will cast light. If she can see them then she will cast magic missile.

sacreddeamon
2005-06-04, 10:50 PM
Thokk

"HAHA, the power of Moradin shields me from your foul undead blows! The protection of him will make me outlast all of you! HAHAHAHA"

OOC: Not much, tactics wise, just hack and slash. BTW, are they just not hitting me at all?

Dr._Bob
2005-06-05, 09:31 PM
Linda considers casting light but then remembers that light is unable to negate darkness. Instead, she takes her chances with a pair of magic missiles.

Dual beams of energy arc into the gloom and strike the zombie that Taern had impaled. Taern's falchion is freed as the monster explodes into wet chunks, splattering Taern with ichor, and whipping her up into an even greater frenzy.

The last remaining creature gamely beats Thokk with its warclub. Thokk starts to cut the zombie into pieces.

OOC: The zombies are only able to overcome Thokk's AC with natural 19s or 20s, so in game mechanics they keep "missing". I interpret this to mean that their blows are hitting your armor but causing no damage.

McMouse
2005-06-06, 01:24 AM
Taern charges forward, swinging recklessly and yelling at the top of her lungs.

Erikkin
2005-06-06, 07:47 AM
Fizahn:

"If all you people weren't so tall, I might actually be able to tell which of you was the undead filth!! Aha, that one has a tail!! Or is that Taern? Are you wearing a cloak Taern? Believe it or not, I actually like being able to see..."

*Fizahn carefully examines all the remaining creatures, seeing if he can distinguish unique characteristics, ex. Taern's ears, the tails, and height.*

OOC:If he can't be completely certain that one of the monsters isn't Taern, he won't attack, and will just enter full defensive mode.

Dr._Bob
2005-06-06, 11:05 AM
Almost simultaneously, Thokk slashes from one direction as Taern slashes from the other. The last remaining zombie falls apart into three irregular sections.

Taern looks around the gloom with wild eyes, searching for more enemies to slay. Her eyes fix on Fizahn who is crouched against the back wall, his magic "shortsword" raised.

OOC: Combat summary posted in the OOC thread.

sacreddeamon
2005-06-06, 11:16 AM
THokk

Ach, we got'em!

OOC: HAHA, Thokk is a beast! Tanking like a true dwarf should. As soon as he hits level eight, he is going to be even more fun, with dwarfen defender.....

McMouse
2005-06-06, 09:57 PM
*battle-lust fading fast, Taern stumbles blindly out in****ento the sunshine, sinking to her knees with an exhausted gasp*

Tymora alive... That was more like hacking into a tree than fighting a living being.

*shakes her head, disgustedly*

If Sethra had any redeeming qualities, this has erased them all. The bastard has no right to disrupt the rest of -any- dead, much less those he's killed. His life is forfeit for such sacrilige, even if I have to stick the sword through poor Graevic myself.

*Her angry tirade finished, she closes her eyes and leans up against the wall, trying to block out the stench.*

Dr._Bob
2005-06-07, 04:51 PM
The darkness fades in a minute or two revealing the gruesome aftermath of the battle. In addition to the smashed chair and overturned table are the still twitching body parts of the three rotting humanoids. Gore covers the walls, ceiling, and almost every surface in the small room (as well as Thokk and Taern). The stench of rotted flesh is truly nauseating. The black flies continue to swarm, buzzing incessantly.

In the light, it is obvious that the beings once were lizardfolk before they were killed and raised as undead.

Other than simple furniture, the room is mostly empty. A small wooden box lies on the floor, where it apparently landed after being knocked off of the table during the melee.

Erikkin
2005-06-08, 07:26 AM
Fizahn:

"Okay, Sethra came to this hideout after fighting us, but it wasn't alone. The lizardmen followed it, and tried to rob it. Needless to say, they failed. Sethra left, but cast some sort of spell to reanimate them as zombies, so they would deal with anyone trying to follow it. Wait.... it didn't even have to come to this house, it could have just sent the zombies here to throw us off on our search for him. Guess I'll check the chest."

*Fizahn walks over to the wooden box, and carefully examines it for traps after lifting it upright.*

OOC: Search check. Take 20.

Belial_the_Leveler
2005-06-08, 09:06 AM
I am sorry I couldn't help much in this fight-i might hit you accidentally with my spells and going blindly into meele equals suicide for me. Perhaps I can redeem myself by healing any wounds you have taken?

McMouse
2005-06-08, 09:38 AM
Do you have a spell to get this... slime off of me?

*shudders and quickly searches her pack for water and a rag*

Belial_the_Leveler
2005-06-08, 09:51 AM
Actually, I think I do. Gather all, I'll create a small "rain" to clean you up.

OOC: Create Water for a small downpour of about 8 gallons.

sacreddeamon
2005-06-08, 08:00 PM
Thokk

*after allowing himself to be washed off*

Ach, thanks lass. Any idea whats in the box?"

Erikkin
2005-06-09, 08:35 AM
Fizahn:

"I'm getting on that, have patience, oh impatient one. Only through careful searching will we find out what's in the chest. That's what I'm doing in case you didn't notice. There are practically infinite possibilities of what's in the chest. Most likely, it's a warning from Sethra telling us to stay out of his way, or it could be something of the former lizardmen's that Sethra didn't feel like bothering with."

Dr._Bob
2005-06-09, 11:32 AM
As Fizahn mutters under his breath, he carefully examines the small wooden cube (six inches on each side).

Finding no traps, he unlocks the latch and opens the lid.

Inside is a folded piece of parchment that seems to enclose a small soft object. The object has stained the paper dark brown.

McMouse
2005-06-09, 06:58 PM
*looks on, slightly repulsed, then mutters under her breath*

Bet it's a body part.. Ugh.

sacreddeamon
2005-06-09, 08:45 PM
Thokk

"Ach, what is it?"

Belial_the_Leveler
2005-06-10, 08:17 AM
Better not to touch it Fizzahn, let me handle it. Now, all of you, remember the trap in the crypt? Let's all move back while I manipulate it from afar. Fizahn, let it down.

Linda retreats as far as she can while still looking at the parchment through the door of the hut. Then, after everyone has moved out of the hut and behind her, she uses a minor dweomer to detect any remaining hostile magics and another one to manipulate the parchment from afar once she is as sure as she can be that no magical traps exist.

OOC: Detect magic and Mage Hand.

Dr._Bob
2005-06-10, 10:43 AM
Everyone shuffles back across the damp grass until they are standing a safe distance from the packet.

The small package seems non-magical to Linda, so she gently pokes open the folded paper using her mage hand.

Lying on the open parchment is a small discolored cylinder. As everyone edges closer, Taern's intuition is proven correct - the item becomes recognizable as an amputated human finger.

There is also apparently ink writing on the blood-stained parchment.

McMouse
2005-06-10, 02:47 PM
*shudders*

That's disgusting.

We should burn it. Let the cleansing flame wash any taint from it.

*thinks a moment*

After we figure out whose it is, though.

Erikkin
2005-06-11, 07:46 AM
Fizahn:

"Probably a warning from Sethra, as I said before. Personally, fingers aren't exactly the scariest body parts ever. Plus warning us with body parts will only fuel your rage, right Taern? I think that further down the road, we'll get more of this poor fellow's body parts as yet more warnings."

*Fizahn picks up the parchement and reads it, while handing the finger to Taern('s kneecap) in an offhand manner, so she can identify whose finger it is.*

Belial_the_Leveler
2005-06-11, 01:09 PM
Linda will look around the hut for signs of what had happened before the team arrived. She will look around with her spell-enhanced sight for anything magical.
I do hope these poor people rest in peace now. However, something troubles me. Back in the crypts we saw a skeleton of a being much like these ones-a skeleton with a tail and obviously reptilian form when it was alive. Do you think this is of any significance?

Dr._Bob
2005-06-11, 09:35 PM
Fizahn gingerly handles the soiled parchment. It is a simple hand-drawn map showing a path out of the Wetwoods into the adjacent Orsraun Mountains. At the end of the winding dotted line is an "X" labeled the Grey Keep.

The finger appears to be the pinky of an adult human male. Although you can not be certain, the obvious assumption would seem to be that the finger once belonged to Graevic.

The implied message is clear - "Come and get me ..."

Linda pokes her head back into the hut, covering her nose and mouth. She detects no magical auras other than the faint necromancy still radiating from the zombie flesh.

As she reflects, she realizes that these reanimated corpses were once lizardfolk, whereas the serpentine skeletons you had encountered in the crypts were the remains of ancient yuan-ti.

She vaguely recalls Oden Homm teaching her that at one time the Vilhon Reach was populated by many different cold-blooded races. Though the reclusive lizardfolk can still be found in the less-hospitable regions of the region (such as here in the Wetwood), they tend to keep to themselves. It is generally assumed that the other serpent races have long since gone extinct or retreated to the Underdark.

Belial_the_Leveler
2005-06-12, 06:30 AM
Hmm. As much as I want to repay Sethra for what he has done this is certainly a trap. It would not be very wise of is to accept his invitation-especially not now that he's expecting us. I suggest that we do some research on the powers Sethra once had, who is Sarlok's heir and so on. Instead of trying to stop Sethra from advancing his plans we should foil his plans by warning those he hunts and by limiting his resources-if we can ofcourse. If we cannot and we have no other options then we could drop on him-but only when we will be prepared.

sacreddeamon
2005-06-12, 10:03 AM
Thokk

"Ah, but lassie, that might be exactly what he wants us to do! He knows our very weaknesses, and so he would expect us to prepare and get him when we are stronger. That would also give him (may the hammer smite him down) time to prepare, and his full powers are much more then ours. If we instead suddenly attacked him, when he is weak, we might catch him by suprise!"

Dr._Bob
2005-06-13, 11:17 AM
Linda and Thokk debate two possible courses of action:

(1) Try to strike at Sethra's old base of operations now before he regains his full powers.

(2) Try to beat Sethra to any of Sarloc's descendants.

Each course of action has pros and cons. Thokk and Linda look to Taern and Fizahn for their opinions.

Erikkin
2005-06-13, 03:25 PM
Fizahn:

*Fizahn furrows his brow in concentration, before looking up and giving his opinion.*

"I think we should find out who Sarloc's descendants are, and only involve ourselves in this business if the descendants are in places of power. If they are, we should try to beat Sethra, and warn the descendants."

Dr._Bob
2005-06-14, 11:15 AM
Everyone turns to Taern for her opinion ...

sacreddeamon
2005-06-14, 04:41 PM
Thokk

"If we go to him now, we can smash the evil person so he doesnt hurt people!"

Belial_the_Leveler
2005-06-14, 05:00 PM
Linda the White

Thokk, we cannot defeat him. He survived for centuries until someone alive came near him and he posessed him. If we kill the body he inhabits who says he won't be able to control one of us and live again? I do not want to be controlled, do you? Unless we learn what holds him to our world long after his death and we are able to undo it, going after him not only will not harm him but it might even make him stronger.

Dr._Bob
2005-06-14, 09:15 PM
As Thokk and Linda argue, Aholoh shuffles over from his hiding place deep in the brush. He "converses" with Fizahn briefly.

OOC: PM sent to you Erikkin.

Erikkin
2005-06-15, 07:30 AM
Fizahn:

*Fizahn converses with the badger for a short while, before obviously thanking it, and heading into the hut to look around.*

sacreddeamon
2005-06-15, 01:46 PM
Thokk

"Ay laddie, what is it?"

Erikkin
2005-06-16, 11:38 AM
Fizahn:

"Rocks, Thokk, rocks. I'm currently looking for a cache of supplies, stored by Graevic."

*Fizahn continues his search, making faces of disgust at the blood all over the floor.*

Belial_the_Leveler
2005-06-16, 04:06 PM
Linda thinks for awhile then speaks:

Taern, I know you want to go to Sethra right now to avenge all those he has killed and desecrated but if we attack him unprepared we will only die-and join his undead forces. We must prepare and learn more of his plans and goals if we are to be victorious.

OOC: Trying to convinve Taern to my point of view.

Dr._Bob
2005-06-16, 10:54 PM
While Fizahn pokes around inside the shelter, Taern agonizes over whether she wants to follow the map directly toward the Grey Keep, where Sethra presumably awaits, or whether she wants to try to track down any of Sarloc's descendants who might be in jeopardy.

She hems and haws, furrowing her brow and scratching her head. "I can't decide," she complains.

Instead she suggests returning to Oden Homm's to see if Elthan has any more information about Sethra or Sarloc that might help to decide the next course of action.

OOC: Another PM sent your way Erikkin.

Erikkin
2005-06-17, 08:50 PM
Fizahn:

*Fizahn exits the hut, holding a package in his hands.*

"Well, well, it looks like we've got a present. This one might be from Graevic, instead of Sethra, though."

*Fizahn begins to open the package, very carefully.*

McMouse
2005-06-17, 09:40 PM
I think... I think... that we should... you know...

*ponders a few minutes as the two try and convince her.*

*Finally looks up, decided.*

I think that we really need to find and kill Sethra. Since he nicely gave us a map, I think we should go there, break down any traps he set for us and slay him on the spot.

sacreddeamon
2005-06-18, 10:03 PM
Thokk

"HOO-RAH LASSIE! Good choice, if I do say so myself."

Dr._Bob
2005-06-18, 10:03 PM
As Taern speaks, Fizahn is opening the small package.

When the paper is unfolded, you can all see 6 neatly wrapped sets of trail rations (hardtack and jerky), a leather pouch (filled with 50 gp), and a small red oak wand.

Fizahn looks up with a satisfied look, then suddenly looks over the rest of your shoulders with alarm.

Each of you (Taern, Thokk, and Linda) turn quickly to see what Fizahn is looking at and you observe a single lizardman standing at the edge of the brush surprisingly close to you, a mere 30 feet away.

The lizardman is armed with a club and carries a wooden shield. Both arms are at his sides, however, non-threateningly ...

sacreddeamon
2005-06-20, 10:36 PM
THokk

*Cautoiusly*
"Ach, lad, who be ye?"

Dr._Bob
2005-06-21, 10:14 AM
Fizahn carefully covers up the rations and wand with the paper wrapper, then slowly grasps his crossbow (still loaded). He keeps the crossbow pointed at the ground, but eyes the lizardman suspiciously.

runehawk
2005-06-21, 01:24 PM
Ssathiyaa:
Holding both arms by his side the lizardman steps out of cover but advances no further.

He raises his voice and attempts to speak in common.

"No fight, I ssSeek withs you"
"pinkskins seek wizzard, we seek wizzard, defiler-kin"
"our path'ss are as one"

"hunt as pack, we can?", he ***** his head to one side quizzically. He watches Fizahn with one eye while his other eye fluctuates between Taaern and Thokk. His body language does not indicate hostility although his discomfort in addressing you is palpable.

Dr._Bob
2005-06-21, 09:51 PM
Fizahn raises his crossbow slightly, but does not point it at the lizardman. He addresses the stranger in draconic:

Who are you? What do you want? Are there others with you?

OOC: By the way, I finally got around to scanning in a map of the area that shows the Shining Plains, Nimpeth, the Orsraun Mountains, the Wetwoods, Hlondeth, etc. Please check the OOC thread ...

runehawk
2005-06-21, 10:30 PM
He studies Fizahn and Thokk with more interest than he does Taern.It is quite likely that he has never seen a gnome or dwarf defore.
in draconic:
"I am druid of the people. I ssSpied on you and heard you speak of a wizard. If the wizard you ssspeak of did this to my kin, then he is my prey as well. I am one of the people.You" sweeps one hand over the party "are not.But the ssspirits about me sssay we walk one path. sSo we may help one another in my vision-quest.For my people's sssake, I will aid you pinkskinss. My name i will give you in time.
He hesitates and visibly ponders before replying,"No harm will fall on you if no harm comes to me. Help will come if i wish it.But No more of the people will you see."

Although he is slightly hunched down and seems to be ready to react to anything, he will relax and straighten up, once he sees no obvious ranged threats.

McMouse
2005-06-22, 03:32 PM
Taern Torminson

What in Tymora's name?!

He looks like those zombies back there...

*Taern, obviously startled, quickly rises to her feet and draws her longbow*

Can we trust a lizardman? He might jump on us at any moment...

Dr._Bob
2005-06-22, 04:32 PM
Fizahn raises his crossbow and joins Taern in covering the lizardman.

He whispers to her in Common, "I don't think I trust this green-skinned giant. There might be others about. We should be very careful ..."

Belial_the_Leveler
2005-06-22, 05:25 PM
Linda looks at the Lizardman for a moment then speaks:
[draconic]
These zombies here once belonged to your tribe, yes? This wizard-Sethra-defiled their dead bodies and held their spirits from their rightful rest. Yes, he has done so before-with our race-humans-as well. Not only he defiles others but his own kin. He himself is an abomination-he is a spirit without a body, one that survived for centuries and now lives by taking over the bodies of others. An affront to the living, to Nature and to how magic should be used. I would like to find new allies, true. But can you prove that out trust is well placed? Your people have honor, yes. We have too. But Sethra can take over the bodies of others and we cannot trust you. I will now cast a spell to see if you are free of any magical bindings-fear not. You will not be harmed by this spell.
To her friends [back in common]
While it is true we should not trust him, we do need allies. Therefore we should give him a chance to prove himself. Lizardmen do have honor-but I must check him first for magical compulsions.
Linda goes on casting a minor dweomer to detect magic

OOC: Detect magic. Naturally, I'll be looking for any enchantment or necromancy effects.

Dr._Bob
2005-06-22, 05:41 PM
Linda gazes intently at the lizardman, who acquiesces to the examination.

She gets no sense of any illusions or necromancy at work here. In fact, the lizardman is refreshingly free of any magical auras at all whatsoever.

McMouse
2005-06-22, 08:31 PM
*frowns darkly*

I find it wierd that on the site where Sethra has been recently, this guy just "happens" to show up. Especially when a couple of his friends just attacked us. How do we know he's not possessed? Or undead? He could be in league with Sethra, or... or... you know. Just want to kill us.. or something.

*shakes her head*

I don't trust him.

Dr._Bob
2005-06-22, 09:52 PM
Fizahn frowns along with Taern. "Well, you have to admit that he doesn't look like a zombie ..."

"He claims to be some sort of druid and says that he wants to join forces with us to defeat Sethra," he explains to Taern.

In draconic he challenges the lizardman:

Why should we trust you?

sacreddeamon
2005-06-22, 10:52 PM
Thokk

"If this is a kin issue, I believe we should trust him, lads. A blood fued is a mighty oath."

*To the Lizardman in Terran, Undercommon, Dwarfen, and Goblin*
"Do speak any of these?"

runehawk
2005-06-23, 07:38 AM
Ssathiyaa:
He blinks at Thokk and looks vexed before answering Fizahn:
in draconic:
"the hairy one knows not what i speak?
You sspeak of trust little pinkskin, but even I do not ask yr trust for you have none to give me. It is sstrange that we have talked long without bloodshed. To the people you are prey, food. Would the mouse trust the owl?.."

"yet I am a Druid. A strong packmate and wise enough to know his fight is with ssSethra not you. No purpose does it serve. The hunger is not in my belly but in my spirit. Yr meat will not end it, only the wizzard's death. My hunt will be faster if you aid me."

"Pinkskin you may be and food you may be and hunter my kin may be but the BALANCE has changed!
Do not assk trust of me.Ask it of yr heart. If my kin perish, how many moonsss will yours survive?"

"Until the wizzard is defeated, I have no quarrel with you. there is no purpose"

Erikkin
2005-06-23, 08:29 PM
Fizahn:

*Fizahn looks at Ssathiyaa angrily, before replying to the lizardman in Draconic*

"You would do well with weaker prey, giant green one. I am a hunter and your kind do not instill fear into me. I could bring down all, but your greatest warriors. You were worng about my having no trust to give. I had plenty of trust to give, but none of it will be given."

*Fizahn warily turns away from the lizardman, and speaks to his companions in Common, speaking loudly enough for the lizardman to hear, emphasizing all the words in bold with scorn.*

"It has said that we will see no more of the monsters, and I say that we take it up on that and leave. If it even could be trusted, which it can't, it would prove to be an obstacle whenever we went into any area of inhabitance by civilized people. The monster's savage instincts would also prove a problem."

OOC: Well, you guys got me feeling that I needed to color-coordinate different languages. Draconic Common, and I'll come up with others as I use them.
I'm sorry Runehawk, if Fizahn ends up killing your character, and I'm sorry Sacreddeamon, McMouse, and Belial if Fizahn ends up getting our party slain by the people. I'm also sorry DR, if Fizahn gets everyone killed and we have to restart.

Dr._Bob
2005-06-23, 10:30 PM
Once again, the party finds itself divided. In this case, Linda and Thokk seem willing to give the lizardman a chance to prove himself, while Taern and Fizahn seem skeptical if not downright hostile toward the beast-man. The lizardman's arrogant tone (a cultural trait perhaps?) seems to have not settled well with the gnome in particular.

The impasse seems to stretch on as the four adventurers stare back at the solitary lizardman.

The uncomfortable silence is broken by a rhythmic hissing noise coming from the hut. Looking back at the open doorway, you realize that the noise is coming from within. The sound is ... laughter?

sacreddeamon
2005-06-24, 11:26 PM
Thokk

"Ach, what is that?"

*Rushes into the building*

McMouse
2005-06-25, 04:16 PM
*Taern quickly turns, dropping her bow and drawing her falchion*

*With another suspicious look at the lizardman, she moves to where she can see the entrance of the hut and peers inside*

Who's there? Are you undead?

Erikkin
2005-06-25, 09:16 PM
Fizahn:

"Are you undead? I have never heard an undead laugh. When creatures die, their body decomposes, so I'm sure that all but the most recent undead are incapable of making even the slightest sound, due to the damage to their vocal chords. Most likely, it is one of the monsters that we were promised we would not see. I am slightly curious as to how the monsters intend to remain hidden when they cannot control their emotions."

*Having said his piece, Fizahn walks briskly into the hut, "short sword" drawn.*

Dr._Bob
2005-06-25, 10:13 PM
The lizardman watches the other humanoids rush over towards the hut. He sniff the air intently, but doesn't like what he smells ... death.

Thokk and Fizahn have every intention of entering the hut, but both of them skid to a halt at the entrance, horrified. Taern cautiously pokes her head around the corner, and is likewise stunned by what she sees.

The interior is reasonably well-lit in the absence of any artificial darkness, revealing an almost incomprehensible sight.

The amputated body parts of the three zombified lizardfolk have reassembled into a multi-limbed behemoth. Heads, tails, and limbs protrude almost at random from a central pile of entrails and rotting flesh. One of the more intact heads hisses as if laughing, while its opaque white eyes stare sightlessly. The reassembled monster almost fills half of the room.

This uber-zombie, surrounded by a cloud of black flies, begins to lumber toward the doorway ...

McMouse
2005-06-26, 02:56 AM
*Horrified, Taern stumbles back*

Gods... What... what is that?

*the falchion drops from Taerns trembling hands, and, shaking, she gropes for one of the spears strapped to her back*

It's horrible! Tymora's grace, get back! Keep it away!

*shuddering, she tries to grip the spear firmly enough to throw*

Belial_the_Leveler
2005-06-26, 05:48 AM
Linda the White

Stay away from this thing!
Linda shouts as she sends a volley of Magic Missiles and walks as far away from it as she can.

OOC: Magic Missiles again then move action away from the thing. I must still be still standing near the door at the place from where I blasted the zombie things (unless I moved in the meanwhile).

Erikkin
2005-06-26, 11:06 AM
Fizahn:

"After we kill you again, I'm going to chop you up into tiny pieces, and spread them all over the world so it can never come together again. I don't think it stands a chance against us Thokk."

*Fizahn makes threatening gestures with his "gnomish short sword," before moving to engage the enemy.*

OOC: Gnomish, as gnomish is the first language Fizahn learned, it would probably be the one he uses the most, and the one he uses while talking to himself.
Fizahn is going to attack the zombie, no charge, and then slowly attempt to maneuver into a flanking position with Thokk.

Dr._Bob
2005-06-27, 03:24 PM
The abomination moves with startling speed, lashing out at Thokk with one "arm". The maggoty limb almost shatters Thokk's shield, and for a moment Thokk wonders if his left arm is broken.

The dwarf's eyes widen in surprise, but combat instincts take over, and Thokk slashes upward in a reverse flywheel, slicing a big chunk out of the limb, almost severing it.

Whomp! whomp! Two magic missiles explode wetly as they make contact with the re-animated lizardman flesh. Linda backs away from the melee as she prepares her next spell.

Taern clutches her spear, shaking slightly. She shifts from side to side, looking for an opening, but Thokk is in the way. She holds back, afraid to accidentally hit Thokk.

Meanwhile, Fizahn begins to inch his way around the beast, trying to move into flanking position.

The lizardman watches from a distance, his nostrils flared.

OOC: Combat begins.

Initiative

Creature: 22
Thokk: 22
Linda: 20
Taern: 18
Lizardman: 17
Fizahn: 16

Round 1

Creature attacks Thokk (flatfooted), hitting AC 21 with a 28. Thokk takes 11 damage. Thokk hits creature with a 27 for 14 points of damage. Linda hits with two magic missiles for 9 points of damage. Linda backs up. Taern does not throw her spear. Lizardman waits. Fizahn misses with a 19. Fizahn moves to flank.

Current HP

Thokk: 32

Belial_the_Leveler
2005-06-27, 04:37 PM
Linda continues with her plan of hit and run using another Magic Missile.

McMouse
2005-06-28, 01:08 PM
*Taern takes a deep, steadying breath, and launches her spear at the thing*

Gods alive! Don't let it touch you! It'll turn you all rotted!

OOC: Taern shouldn't have a problem launching a spear over Thokk's head, right? Keep in mind that she's fatigued, so apply a -1 to attack and damage.

Dr._Bob
2005-06-28, 09:27 PM
This cannae be happening ... thinks Thokk to himself as the creature lashes out with another limb, a tentacle-like arm made up of a pair of lizardman tails. The limb smashes into Thokk, then wraps around his armored body and squeezes tight - his breastplate buckles slightly and a rivet or two pops from the strain.

"AAAARGH!!!!" he cries out in frustration. By wedging his sword between the "tentacles", he manages to disentangle himself from the zombie's grasp, but when he slashes at the monster, it avoids his attack in a nimble, decidedly un-zombie-like manner.

Linda continues to backpedal as she peppers the monster with more magic missiles. Each blast sprays fragments of rotted flesh over the melee combatants, but the amalgam of zombie parts maintains its structural integrity.

Taern finds an opening and hurls her spear at the creature, but the beast twists unexpectedly, avoiding the missile.

Fizahn sneaks in and thrusts deeply into one of the "legs" of the beast. His "shortsword" pierces the rotted flesh efforlessly, passing through flesh and bone until it is buried past the hilt. Fizahn twists and cuts outward to maximize the damage he causes. The dagger emerges black with ichor.

The lizardman continues to stare intently at the monster as the "pinkskins" battle against it. Unsurprisingly the zombie monster radiates magic (presumable necromantic), but the lizardman notices something unexpected. Three small foci within mass of the beast radiate much more intensely than the reanimated flesh itself. Each focus is about the size of a small gem or coin.

OOC: Combat continues.

Round 2

Creature hits Thokk with a 24, causing 12 points of damage. It initiates an improved grapple denying Thokk an AOO and succeeds with a 24. Opposed grapple checks: creature 15, Thokk 11. Thokk takes 4 points of constriction damage. Creature releases Thokk.

Thokk misses with a 22. Linda hits with magic missiles for a total of 10 points of damage. Taern misses with a 6. Fizahn hits with a 29 (natural 20) but does not confirm critical (with a 15). He causes 5 points of damage.

The lizardman continues to use detect magic.

Current HP

Thokk 16

(The creature has taken 38 points of damage so far.)

McMouse
2005-06-28, 09:39 PM
*Taern, falling into the rhythm of battle, smoothly draws another spear and begins to chant an ancient battle-rhyme of her people, speaking in Elvish*

Blessed be this weapon.
Swiftly, surely striking.
Ever straight, it flies to it's target.
Rend flesh and bone.
Hit hard, strike true.
By the power of the Ancestors and Tymora herself
This weapon will bring a swift end to my foes.

*With a satisfied snarl, she feels the tingling of the "ancestors fingers" swirling through her veins and her arm, begins to glow with an almost unnoticable blue light*

OOC: As a move action, Taern draws another spear, and as a standard action casts True Strike, giving her a +20 to her next attack.

Dr._Bob
2005-06-29, 10:02 PM
Another limb whips out and grabs Thokk around the waist. The "arm" pulls Thokk in close until he is face to face with one of the three necrotic lizardman heads (this head happens to located in the "abdomen" area). It constricts tighter and tighter until Thokk can barely breathe.

Fizahn takes the opportunity to attempt to hamstring the creature. His blade severs tendons, but the dark energy that powers this abomination keeps the "leg" from collapsing.

OOC: Round 3 begins. Awaiting actions from Thokk, Linda, and Fizahn.

Round 3

Creature hits Thokk with a 22 for 8 points. Grapple initiated with a 27. Opposed checks: creature 22, Thokk 18. Thokk takes 4 points of damage. Creature moves into Thokk's space to maintain grapple. Fizahn's AOO hits with a 25 for 4 points.

Current HP

Thokk: 4 (grappled)

(The creature has taken 42 points of damage so far. It is Thokk's turn to act.)

McMouse
2005-06-30, 04:51 PM
OOC: Is everyone on vacation?

Erikkin
2005-07-01, 08:27 AM
Fizahn:

"You need to get out of there Thokk, the beast is destroying you! If you help, lizardman, I will trust you and allow you to join us."

Now I understandable why the lizardman wants to kill Sethra, if he made abominations like this out of my kinsmen, I would want revenge also.

"I will put an end to you once and for all after this, abomination!! Let's see you walk without a leg!"

*Fizahn steps forward, and attempts to chop off the monster's leg.*

Belial_the_Leveler
2005-07-01, 10:20 AM
Seeing the abomination still survives, Linda will try another spell. Chanting quickly, she sends a ray of flame at the beast, hoping that she can help the others kill it. Despite endangering herself, she closes on the battle in case she needs to heal Thokk or the others.
Damnit Thokk! You can't take on the beast alone. Back off!

OOC: Scorching ray. Needs a touch attack though-hoping it hits. Will close some 20 feet so as to be 40-50 feet from the monster. Close enough to heal Thokk if he retreats but hopefully far enough so that the beast doesn't reach her. Hopefully...

sacreddeamon
2005-07-03, 09:55 AM
Thokk

"YOU SHALL NOT HAVE ME!!!"

*Thokk tries to crush the water gem in his belt*

OOC: Ive been at work, so ive been a tad buzy, but im back now. Wow, this thing is really beastly. And Im almost taking it on solo. Umm, if I do go down, I have a potion of CSW in my belt that I might need fed to me, I went with crushing the gem because that wouldnt provoke an AOO, and the potion would.

Dr._Bob
2005-07-05, 10:57 PM
Thokk drops his sword, then reaches into a belt pouch and pulls out a glistening blue-green gem. With a cry of defiance, he crushes the gem in his gauntleted hand ...

With a BOOM! like the crashing of waves on a rocky shore, the gem explodes. Thokk, Fizahn, and the zombie behemoth are drenched in an instant as a massive geyser appears amidst the melee combatants. The geyser takes on a roughly humanoid form and slams the undead creature with two "fists" of living water. The uber-zombie almost comes apart at the seams as it is blasted from both sides, yet it continues its relentless attack on Thokk.

Fizahn is almost knocked down by the sudden appearance of the water elemental, but he manages to thrust into one of the creature's legs. He uses the embedded dagger as a handhold to keep from being washed away.

Linda tries to blast the monster with another fiery ray, but her spell is all but obliterated by the massive water elemental that seems to occupy almost the entire melee area.

Taern's eyes widen at sudden appearance of the water elemental, but she continues to chant and ***** back her arm, ready to hurl her ensorcelled spear ...

The lizardman shouts out something in draconic. Only Linda and Fizahn understand his words - something about "three magic objects".

OOC: Round 3 continues ...

Thokk summons a Large water elemental. It hits twice for 13 and 11 damage. Linda's scorching ray fizzles on a natural 1. Fizahn hits with a 25 for 5 points. Taern casts true strike. The lizardman casts magic fang and calls out in draconic.

The undead creature has taken 71 points of damage so far.

runehawk
2005-07-06, 10:09 AM
Ssathiyaa:
Muttering the words of one of the first spells he ever learnt, Ssathiyaa clasps the tooth on his neck while moving his other hand in the gesture that would complete the spell.

He does not wait for the faint green aura to appear on his hands.Spreading his arms wide apart, Ssathiyaa has his hands pulled back, ready to swing forward and rake the items he sees on the behemoth.He shouts out in draconic:

"attack the 3 magic items"
hoping, the mage would understand and alter tactics to focus on the foci of the corruptive magic.

OOC:
the lizardman casts magic fang, speaks as a free action and moves her full move distance towards the creature.He opts to speak as a free action.

Belial_the_Leveler
2005-07-06, 10:21 AM
Linda the White

Hearing the Lizardman's words, Linda glances at the beast searching for the items then casts a spell that will hopefully shatter them.

OOC: Magic Missile at one of the items. If that is impossible then Scorching Ray.

McMouse
2005-07-06, 11:30 AM
*With a slight grunt, Taern hurls the spear towards the abomination*

Dr._Bob
2005-07-07, 10:56 PM
The uber-zombie drops Thokk as if he were a limp rag doll. Instead the undead monster focuses on the elemental, which seems to be a greater threat. The two creatures pound each other with their "fists", spraying gore and water everywhere.

Thokk groans as he quaffs a healing potion. In seconds, the color returns to his cheeks, and he reaches for his bastard sword.

Linda blasts the zombie once more with a pair of magic missiles that arc around the elemental before exploding splat, splat!

Taern's spear takes a more direct line through the "chest" of the uber-zombie, creating a fist sized hole all the way through the torso of the abomination. The giant zombie begins to stagger, and assorted dead lizardman pieces begin to drop off of the creature's body.

Fizahn tears his "shortsword" loose and rolls aside as the lizardman charges into the fray, interposing his scaly body between Thokk and the uber-zombie.

The lizardman plunges a clawed hand into the belly of the beast, sinking in up to his elbow. With a triumphant hiss he withdraws his hand holding up a trio of small black gems. The lizardman then hurls the gems against the wall of the hut, shattering them ...

The zombie creature falls to pieces, collapsing into a pile of inert body parts.

For a moment, the five of you stand in stunned silence. The water elemental folds his "arms" in a satisfied way, then gradually seeps back into the damp ground.

OOC: Combat ends ...

Round 4

Creature hits elemental for 5 (10 - 5) points. Elemental hits creature for 9 points. Thokk drinks a CSW and heals 20 points. Linda hits creature for a total of 7 damage. Fizahn misses. Taern hits for 4 points. The lizardman hits for 4 points.

Current HP

Thokk: 24 (4 + 20)

The creature has taken 95 points of damage and is destroyed.

Erikkin
2005-07-07, 11:03 PM
Fizahn:

"Attack the three magic items, it says. My dagger's magic, should I kill that, what about my cloak. Stupid lizardman... I still say it can't do anything dangerous if it doesn't have a leg!"

*Fizahn continues in his attempt to sever the beast's leg. He appears amazingly surprised by the water elemental, and sulkily mad at the lizardman.*

Erikkin
2005-07-07, 11:24 PM
Fizahn:

"The abomination is destroyed. We are victorious!"

*Fizahn raises his "shortsword"; in a victory pose for a short duration, before looking over at the lizardman. Slowly he sheathes his sword and walks over to Ssathiyaa. Grudgingly he begins speaking.*

"Lizardman, you fought bravely, and helped to destroy the beast. I speak to you in your tongue out of honor, even though I know the dwarf cannot understand it. I trust you and give you my permission to travel with us. If possible, I will also attempt to gain the elf's permission as well."

I hope I am not wrong about the lizardman. It could be a trick by Sethra, although why he'd want to waste three powerfull focii I cannot fathom.

McMouse
2005-07-07, 11:24 PM
*Taern tiptoes through the gore, retrieving her spear*

Gods alive! What in the hells name was that thing?!

*looks horrified and disgusted, and returns outside, retching at the sight and the smell*

runehawk
2005-07-08, 11:52 AM
The lizardman nods to Fizahn. He then begins gathering whatever remains of the abomination and piling it. He will not be dissuaded from setting fire to his former kinsmen. Their corruption means they are forever lost to the tribe and he does not wish to leave them mutilated as they were. He does so quietly.

OOC: my animal companion will follow me w/o revealing itself i take it. and speaking of animal companions where's oholoh run off to? :)

Dr._Bob
2005-07-11, 12:11 PM
The lizardman creates a funeral pyre for his dead (thrice-over) kin. The smoke rises, dark and ominous, into the sky.

Weary and filthy (and in Thokk's case, badly injured), the party decides to make its way back to Oden Homm's estate to recuperate and to decide the next best course of action.

Keeping in mind that "the enemy of my enemy is my friend", the party allows the lizardman to accompany them back toward Mimleth. He keeps pace easily with the party's mounts. You arrive at Oden Homm's before nightfall.

The lizardman attracts many curious (and some fearful) stares on the road, but Oden Homm and Elthan seem entirely nonplussed when you introduce the lizardman to them.

"Ah! A new ally! Wonderful, wonderful," chuckles Oden Homm. "Well met and good hunting to you!"

Elthan smiles with a sparkle in his eye. "Master Homm and I also have someone we'd like you to meet!"

Oden and Elthan, swing open a door and in walks ... another Elthan!

King_of_GRiffins
2005-07-11, 02:45 PM
Eltahn II, The Clone Sorcerer

*The Mirror Image copy of Elthan walks through the door to stand beside Elthan. They look almost alike, but something does seem to set thier identical appearance appart. You don't immideatly catch it, but after close inspection you relize that it is thier fdace that sets them apart. Though the Elthan you where talking to greeted you with a warm heart and a smile, the twin that walked in shows no sign of emotion at all. But amoment later you relize it was the thing buzzing around his head that gave away thier difference. After a moment of akward silence, the clone speaks to you in a deep, bland tone..*

"Greetings to you, friends. If you will allow me to explain what has transpired in your absence. I, am Elthan the second, clone of Elthan Moonshade. By the use of Oden's magic, I have been created to fill the roll of Elthan while he takes a permanent leave of absence from the group. Elthan has informed me of what has happened in your quest and Oden has givin me some magical training over Elthan sorcerer powers so that I may aid you in battle."

*Elthan II walks over to the Gnome* "You must be Fizahn.." *Strides thorugh the group, guessing each of your names* "Thokk, Linda, Taern, and.." *stops infront of the lizardman*

*In Draconic*
"Elthan did not tell me of Lizardman in his party. You are a new addition, are you not? At any rate. Well met, man of scale.

(ooc: Hello, pretty freaky havng a clone huh?)

Belial_the_Leveler
2005-07-11, 07:21 PM
Linda greets the new Elthan and says:
Pleased to meet you... Elthan. You do not mind if I speak to you as if you are Elthan's twin brother, do you?
Linda waits until she gets a reply-she wouldn't want to insult the new Elthan.

King_of_GRiffins
2005-07-11, 11:26 PM
Elthan II, The Clone Sorcerer

*Elthan II, turning away form the lizard man, now addresses Linda.*

"I would not mind you addressing me in such a way, or in any other manner, for a no matter the name, the rose will smell as sweet."

*Elthan II steps back towards Elthan and hands him a deep, black colored scale*

"I believe you droped this. I found it near where I was created about an hour ago."

*Elthan II then procedes to step back and before the group.*

"So, now that we are aquanted, may I inquire as to what our course of action is from here?"

runehawk
2005-07-12, 04:14 AM
Ssathiyaa:

The lizardman seems more uneasy than usual.

While he wasn't keen to be diverted from seeking sethra immediately, he understood that to seek battle with weary companions was to court disaster. Knowing that he could not offer them any shelter he acceded to accompanying them to the nearest human settlement for some rest. He seemed to be continually taking in the surroundings away from the forest and studying other humanoids he passed.

On meeting Elthan and his clone, he seems pained. He keeps a distance from Elthan and Elthan II. He bows to Elthan II after a while, saying in common,

"Fight fire with fire, at times we must."

He then retreats with his back against a corner and remains quiet. He studies the others communicate with one another and tries to expand his knowledge of the pinkskins who will aid him in his quest.

OOC: hello Elthan II! I'm sorry if you've been waiting long for us to get back.

Dr._Bob
2005-07-12, 05:51 PM
One question is whether the party (now with six members) will follow the map into the Orsraun Mountains to Sethra's old keep or not.

Another option might be to try to find descendants of Sarloc in order to warn them about Sethra. Elthan's research suggests that any living members of Sarloc's family likely live in the Unapproachable East, where both Sethra and Sarloc were from.

Although the party is technically under no obligation to do either of those things, remember that Sethra is currently occupying the body of one of your friends (Graevic) and that your exploration of the crypt indirectly led to Sethra's re-emergence.

sacreddeamon
2005-07-12, 09:33 PM
Thokk

"Lads, I still say we bash him in while we are strong and he is weak! He will hopefully waste more resources in follies like the one we defeated, and be able to utterly crush him!"

King_of_GRiffins
2005-07-12, 10:48 PM

"You have a good idea Thokk, as he should be weakened by his imprisonment, anything he creates will only prolong his recovery. If he has failed to see this and made more, this should only make Sethra himself easier to remove form Graevic's body, but this is considerng he has made more creations as opposed to simply pulling them out from storage."

*as he talks, a small snake of some kind slithers up Elthan II's leg and up to his arm.*

"However, I would fell better about going to Sethra if someone were to give fair warning to Sarlocs desendents."

Belial_the_Leveler
2005-07-13, 12:12 PM
Last time we went up against him, Sethra merely posessed Graevic's body and didn't have access to most of his magics. Yet, he defeated us with a single spell-an acidic mist in which he seemed to be immune. We also came up a trap in that tomb and that pillar of fire almost killed us. If Sethra could defeat us with a single spell what could we possibly do against him right now? I suggest we warn Sarloc's heir-whoever that may be-before we go up against Sethra. That way, we may gain another ally to our cause and we won't have to fight Sethra in his own fort-he has to come to us or send his minions. It would be easier to fight him in our ground and not on his.

McMouse
2005-07-14, 02:06 AM
I say we.. uhh... kill him! Yeah! That way he can't hurt any more people. And then we could give Graevic a proper funeral, and the gods and spirits would be at ease.

*Taern showed no real reaction to the two Elthans, thinking that one was just more magical trickery, and eventually one or the other would go away and leave them with the real one.*

See, I almost killed him! I almost got him, I could feel his blood on my hands.. But then I passed out. Maybe if we catch him by suprise we can...

*she makes a twisting motion with her thick hands, miming wringing a neck*

He can't cast spells when he's dead, right?

King_of_GRiffins
2005-07-14, 11:23 AM

"Well I believe Linda has an excellent point. Even though he was just released, he easily defeated you. It would be wiser to face him on our own ground, or rather, the ground of Sarloc's Heir, where we have the higher ground, so to speak.

Dr._Bob
2005-07-14, 10:56 PM
As you debate your next course of action, Fizahn points out that Sethra almost certainly had nothing to do with the crypt with the flame strike trap and the yuan-ti skeletons. Taern fell into that barrow by accident as you recall.

Fizahn also reminds Linda that Graevic/Sethra used a pair of rings taken out of a hidden niche in the dais to escape. One obviously produced the acid fog while the other was presumably a ring of acid resistance. It would appear that Sethra (being presumably of high intelligence) kept little caches of "emergency" items hidden about his lairs.

It is not yet clear exactly how much or how little intrinsic power Graevic/Sethra has at this time. The only spell he has definitely cast himself was a magic mouth. Fizahn also points out that Sethra "defeated" all of you just barely (Taern almost had him wrestled into submission) and only after your party was weakened by the fight with the magmins.

Thinking about the abomination you just encountered in the Wetwoods inside Graevic's shelter, Fizahn suggests that the gems that "powered" the lizardman zombies continued to function even once the creatures were dismembered. In this sense, the gems behaved differently than the "normal" gems that power zombies, but that now that you know their secret, the gem zombie variants shouldn't be any harder to defeat than standard zombies.

Sethra apparently depends heavily on magic items (such as the Fire Opal that kept his essence intact for centuries, his magic rings that allowed him to narrowly escape from you in the crypt, and the special gems within the zombie lizardmen). His supply of these special items must be limited, however, and his dependence on them suggests that his arcane powers might not yet be at full strength.

A frontal assault on the Grey Keep, using some care and tactical thinking, might be feasible. As Thokk had pointed out previously, in all likelihood, the longer you wait, the more powerful Sethra will become.

Having said all of that, Fizahn acknowledges that it might be reasonable to try to track down Sarloc's descendants, since presumably Sethra would then come to you, rather than you going to Sethra. The only problem is, how exactly will you track down any descendants of Sarloc?

runehawk
2005-07-15, 08:49 AM
Ssathiyaa, lizardkin Druid:
The lizardkin who had been listening and watching the group particularly Oden Homm, who he suspects is another wizard. The human who hadn't spoken until now, revealed nothing about himself and is looking back at him impresses/intimidates the lizardkin.

I wonder if HE is their chief...

Looking at the party in general:
These pinkskins aren't as weak as I have been told to belief...They are obviously weaker and deserve to be food for US..

He amends the thought:

Those of US that do actually eat pinkskin meat.. but if not for semuanya, greater numbers could drive us off our homes if not...hunt.. US!I have seen this with my own eyes in the wild.Are my visions truly saving the PEOPLE? Sethra will doom my people now. but will the old balance return? Or a new balance without a place for US? My People may have been great and still strong but even the mghty dragon may be brought low. I cannot allow pinkskin and lizardkin to war. I pray semuanya's visions and the spirits that guide me to these pinkskins truly will save my people...

Wait why are they talking of "Sar-loc's heir". Some type of bait? No. they must not delay..

The lizardkin who had been quiet until now, interrupts the conversation:
"Pinkskinss, not wisse, to hunt the trail that growss cold. Sstop Ssethra, we musst. Cunning to seek bait it may be, but to kill *GREAT* prey, quick the hunt and kill must be.Resst pinkskinss and with me, hunt Ssethra.tarry, and the hunted, the hunter becomes. "

He pauses and indicates Thokk and Taern, "Speak wisely.,they do.Come sunrise hunt the wizzard, we will. A quick kill, a hard hunt but HUNT WE MUST."
He stamps his feet and swings his tail rapidly from left-to-right and back emphasising the need for immediate action and the need for immediate resolution of the discussion.

OOC: hey sorry if i'm pushy but Ssathiyaa's in it for himself/the safety of his kind. Explaining the need to protect another life or going about capturing sethra by an extended route to lure and capture him, or simply doing the good thing will not make sense to him. Lizzies are very diff from humanoids. ;D
If we aren't going directly to Sethra, then you're really gonna have to pull off a very good convincing and i mean really good.thanks guys

McMouse
2005-07-15, 11:25 AM
*Taern nods vehemently*

The lizard-thing is right. We've gotta act fast otherwise Sethra will get -more- acid cloud ring things, and -then- where would we be? All acided up, that's where.

*Thinks a moment*

Maybe... maybe we could do both? Set out a notice or something... "If you are Sarloc's heir, please leave a message with Oden Homm in this town. Otherwise you can do whatever you want" and then we also go in and kill Sethra, killing two birds with two stones!

Maybe we should find some trap or weapon that could kill him once we get there. Like one that'd drop a big rock on his head, or one that would drop him into a hole... Or maybe we need one of those magic longswords, like great Harlan Deval wielded when he slayed the Great Wyrm of the Rift. That'd teach him.

*She subsides, all this thinking clearly wearing her down*

King_of_GRiffins
2005-07-15, 01:13 PM

"Perhaps we should go assult Sethra's castle. There are bound to be dozens of Items there that he left for himself that we could use to defeat him. And even if we do fail to defeat him there we can still try again in the unapprocable east with all the trinkets we gathered from his lair and help from Sarloc's Hier."

*After speaking, Elthan II begins to stroke the snake that has wraped itself around his right arm.*

Belial_the_Leveler
2005-07-15, 06:06 PM
Linda the White

I see the majority has decided to assault Sethra's fortress. Very well then, I will come with you. But first, there is one thing we should do. Ask for advice. Master Oden, as the oldest and wisest here, what would you suggest we do?

OOC: Shouldn't Oden have spoken long before that anyway?

Dr._Bob
2005-07-15, 11:09 PM
Oden Homm had been listening to your debate with interest, so when Linda asks for his opinion, he is happy to chime in.

(On the other hand, he really hasn't been a member of your party since you helped him slay the black dragon, so you shouldn't be surprised that he hasn't spoken up before now.)

"Well, if Sethra was indeed trapped in this 'Fire Opal' during his fight with Sarloc, then one would assume that he had depleted many of his prepared spells in the final battle AND he would have not had any opportunity to prepare any new ones. He likely had no choice but to use magic items in order to escape from you.

"Now that Sethra has a body (poor Graevic!), one would assume that he would be able to prepare new spells. Yet, there is little sign that he has returned to his former power. It's been a tenday since your 'explorations' released Sethra; yet, it seems that all he has done is slaughter some lizardfolk and raise some of them as zombies.

"To me, this raises some interesting possibilities: (1) that his powers have degraded over the centuries of disembodiment, (2) that Graevic's body is not as ideal a vessel as might be required to perform high level necromancy, or (3) that perhaps he does not have access to his spellbook - it might have been destroyed in the battle with Sarloc, or perhaps it has been lost or has been taken?

"Weakened or not, Sethra is still going to be a crafty opponent, but he also seems to have a twisted sense of honor. He could easily have slain Thokk and Taern in the crypt, but he did not. One might wonder then why would he want to kill them now? Why would he leave you a map leading to a trap? If his purpose in this second life is to slay descendants of Sarloc, then why would he bother toying with you?

"A few other things to keep in mind. He has a ring that can create an acid fog. He has the ability (through the Fire Opal) to possess another being as if through a magic jar. He will take advantage of tactical positioning if he can. You may want to be prepared to counter these tactics if you decide to follow the map to the Keep. Think about protection from acid or protection from evil. Think about ways to cooperate and to use the unique abilities each of you have; try to be more than the sum of your parts.

"Oh, and by the way, were any of you going to take any of these interesting medallions? You left them on the table this morning. Who knows how they might be useful ..."

Erikkin
2005-07-16, 08:49 AM
Fizahn:

"As we do not fully understand their power, they may yet prove helpful, or even dangerous. We will take them, but I want none of you using them unless we are in grave danger.

"I think that Sethra is toying with us because we know what he is up to. Sarloc's heirs could be powerful wizards, and he fears us warning them about him, so he is trying to lure us into a traps. If Sarloc's heirs are found, they could prove invaluable allies."

Dr._Bob
2005-07-16, 04:21 PM
Elthan (the original one) helps to heal Thokk's wounds, and soon Thokk feels well enough to head out to the sheds to tend to his dulled sword and damaged armor.

Aholoh snoozes by the fire as conversation runs late into the night. While you talk, Oden Homm provides pipes to smoke and port to sip. Eventually, however, you all retire for the night, heading up to your guestrooms. The lizardman prefers to sleep outdoors.

Before heading off to his chambers, Oden Homm looks out the windows and observes, "A west wind blows tonight, an omen of change and uncertainty. Sleep well, young friends. We shall see what tomorrow brings ..."

OOC: XP wrap up in the OOC thread.

King_of_GRiffins
2005-07-16, 05:39 PM
Elthan II, the Clone Sorcerer

*Eltahn II goes to bed with all the rest, but gets up a little early so he can examine the medalions and see what illusions they could produce.*

(OOC: Knowlage arcana check)

Dr._Bob
2005-07-17, 10:50 AM
Elthan (II) rises early and finds Taern already up, practicing some fighting forms in the yard. She comes back inside and tells him about the medallions, and he examined them with interest. "They remind me of the cards in a deck of illusions," he observes.

Their examination of the copper discs is interrupted, however, by the sound of dogs barking outside. When they run outside to investigate, they see someone approaching from the road through the early morning fog.

As the person staggers closer, they see a nearly naked human male, bleeding from a variety of lacerations. His left hand is wrapped in a filthy rag. His stringy wet hair dangles down over his face. Taern has a spear in her hand ready and is about to challenge the stranger when suddenly she recognizes him. "Graevic ...?" she gasps ...

Belial_the_Leveler
2005-07-17, 12:01 PM
After the exertions of this small excursion, Linda goes early to bed. In the morning she wakes up with a yawn and decides it is time for a bath. She heats water in a cauldron then puts it into the bath, adds cold water so as the temperature is to her liking as well as some soap and oils then takes off her dirty, shoes, robes and underwear and enters, having decided not to come out until the water becomes cold enough to stop being comfortable.
No sooner she makes that decision than she hears dogs barking downstairs. She swears once, darts out of the bath, takes a towel and wipes off the water hastily then puts on some clothes even faster and comes down to see who has come at this early hour in the morning*

OOC: By Linda's standards, early morning is around 10 o'clock. ;D

McMouse
2005-07-17, 12:24 PM
*Taern drops her spear, and runs over to Graevic, attempting to help him walk, or if necessary pick him up and carry him. She remains blissfully oblivious that this could very well be a trap or a ruse.*

How did you get back here? You're supposed to be trapped in some castle up in the mountains, and we were gonna kill you so we could kill whatsisname. Sethra. Are you alright? Have you healed yourself?

*She continues to barrage him with well-meaning questions and queries*

Toadfish
2005-07-17, 04:50 PM
Graevic staggers towards Taern, shuffling more than walking. He accepts her assistance, but is dropped to his knees by a wracking cough that causes him to moan in pain. He seems oblivious to Taern’s questions, head bowed, kneeling, arms limp by his sides. In a rasping voice, barely above a whisper, ”Th…thank…the…Oak….Lord…made….it”. With that, Graevic tips forward and collapses, his breath barely moving his chest.

Belial_the_Leveler
2005-07-17, 05:18 PM
A wet-haired Linda comes down the stairs. She doesn't have her shoes on and she has forgotten to pick up her staff but that is of no cosequence right now. Seeing Graevic collapsing to the ground she runs up to him and attempts to heal him then casts a spell that allows her to detect magic, looking for anything suspicious. It doesn't hurt to be cautious...

Dr._Bob
2005-07-17, 09:27 PM
As Linda tends to Graevic, his breathing becomes deeper and more steady. The color begins to return to his cheeks, but he remains semi-conscious, almost delerious.

Surreptitiously, Linda also checks for any signs of magical possession or compulsion, but finds none.

Erikkin
2005-07-18, 09:00 AM
Fizahn:

*Fizahn suddenly pops up next to Linda. As he sees Graevic, his eyes widen in surprise. Keeping his hand on his "short sword," he walks up to Graevic and kneels behind him.*

Either Sethra ran into someone more powerful than him, who was able to dispel Graevic, it's a trap, or...

"He used my idea!! That... Graevic, glad you could make it back. Aholoh is safe, and we're glad to have you back. Can you tell us anything about what happened while you were possessed?"

Sethra obviously didn't make it far before anything happened. He probably purposefully let Graevic live and sent him back as a warning to us if it was his doing.

runehawk
2005-07-18, 09:42 AM
Ssathiyaa, lizardkin druid:

Woken by a loud barking noise near Oden Homm's dwelling, Ssathiyaa rolls into a defensive position. After determining he was in no immediate danger he rolls up his bedroll and grabs his back pack before rushing into the mist.Slowing as he draws nearer to Oden Homm's, he creeps steadily around the side to see the rest of his group gathered over another humanoid.
Drawing neare and relaxing,in draconic "What has occurred? Is this pinkskin a packmate as well? Why has he returned alone?"

He merely looks interested neither concerned or worried.H e scratches one clawed hand down the tough leathery skin of his lower jaw and throat.

OOC: If told that this is graevic and that he can lead them to the tower and sethra, Ssathiyaa will not let him out of his sight!

King_of_GRiffins
2005-07-18, 10:20 AM

*Elthan II gets up, taking a random 5 coins with him, and follows Taern, saying nothing. Upon the Lizardmans arivall, he speaks in draconic*

"This one was one of ours. This is the one that Sethra possesed, but has now discarded. Apparently Sethra stripped him of all his things before leaving with his new vassel. Once he has been healed, he should be able to tell us where Sethra has been, and mybye to where he is now."

(OOC: He could ahve gone to his castle or strait to the east. We should be able to find out, assuming GRaevic remembers Sethras thoughts during his possesion. And Daring rouge, can I get a list of the images on the coins?)

Dr._Bob
2005-07-18, 10:55 AM
The commotion brings Oden Homm outside as well, where he is as surprised as everyone else to see Graevic returned. "Bring him inside, quickly!"

Taern carries Graevic into the house, placing him gently on a sofa in the parlor.

Oden Homm begins tending to Graevic's wounds, some of which are life-threatening. Some of the injuries seem to have been inflicted by steel, others by a whip or scourge. When Oden Homm unwraps the bandage around Graevic's left hand, he hisses in sympathy. Graevic's pinky finger is missing, having been amputated then crudely cauterized.

OOC: The engraved images on the discs are fairly cryptic, making it impossible to determine exactly what effect each disc will have.

Toadfish
2005-07-18, 12:29 PM
Graevic drifts in and out of consciousness for several hours. He occasionally mumbles gibberish and tosses around fitfully. Slowly, he awakens more fully, looking confused and worried. He asks for food and water, which are quickly brought to him. Wrapping himself in a blanket and sitting in a chair, he eats quickly, barely chewing his foot. Stopping occasionally to pet Aholoh or smile at one of the party. Satiated, he leans back in the seat, eyes closed, he sighs deeply.

Opening his eyes, he looks to the party. ”My friends, I can not tell you how happy I am to see you again. Thank you tending to my wounds. I did what I could with what I had. I am not quite sure how I even got made it here. I awoke, alone, as you saw me when I arrived, though perhaps with less mud. I tended my wounds as best I could, and made my way back here. It is difficult to recall everything that happened. I walked, I hunted, I slept, and I prayed.” A look of deep sadness momentarily shows on Graevic’s face, he sighs gently, and continues. ”The last I recall was entering the crypt and seeing the skeletons. I have glimpses, blurry and confusing, but I can not recall any specific details after that. I can lead you back to where I awoke, after, um, I get some clothes and maybe a bit of rest”, Graevic self consciously tugs on the blanket covering his mostly naked body.

McMouse
2005-07-19, 12:50 AM
Taern furrows her brow.

"Oh, dang. You don't remember anything about when Sethra was in your head? Where did you wake up at? Do you know why he... err.. she? It? It.. where it is right now?"

She sighs and complains.

"At this rate, Sethra will be a hundred miles away and already jumping in other people's heads. Great. What do we do now? Kill everyone we meet, just in case they have a Sethra in their head?"

"Well, no. We can't do that. We might kill one of Sarloc's kids, and that would be... uhh.. counter pro-duct-ive."

Pleased with her large word, she lapses into silence, not really realizing how idiotic she just sounded.

Erikkin
2005-07-19, 09:06 AM
Fizahn:

"This does complicate things a bit, because we have no idea who he is. If he possessed someone very powerful, then he could have gotten into the fort without a struggle, and if we tried to find him and fight him, we'd end up killing innocents, who are only following him because they have a contract with whoever the person he possessed was. For all we know, he could have taken over a woman..."

*Fizahn pauses in his speech, and takes his "short sword" out and begins nervously tossing it into the air.*

"Would we kill everyone there? He could just have possessed a servant, and the lord of the castle is one of Sarloc's heirs and he's trying to make us do his dirty work."

*Fizahn sheathes his weapon and looks gravely at the lizardman.*

"I think we have no choice but to try and find Sarloc's heirs before we confront Sethra."

runehawk
2005-07-19, 10:24 AM
Ssathiyaa:

He hisses in disagreement and shakes his head violently from side to side. He speaks to Fizahn in his usual flat tone in draconic "That would not be wisse. The hunt hass become harder but it is not beyond uss. Thiss Graevic was a vessel to sSethra, a track remains, growing colder. He must possess some other creature but his markings betray him. In pinkspeech, you spoke of a object that sSethra needs to jump body. He must carry this unnatural object. We will know him by this. "

He pauses looking around at the others to see if they understand him. The pointed tongue slips in and out of his mouth more rapidly, betraying his excitement on an otherwise unreadable face.

He raises his voice now as he mentions,
"Pursue the hunt, we must. Visions, i see ".

turning back to Fizahn but now turning to Linda often, he continues, this time in his normal tone which hardens at the end,
There is a lair i saw in my vision. I am certain it is lair of the abomination not his prey.
It is better to Hunt the tiger to his lair, then to sstalk hiss prey and wait for him. He hass many prey. Can you sstalk all of them? The hunt turns harder and our prey stronger if we rest long or hunt his prey for him. "

He points a single claw to graevic.
"Ussse him, we musst"
and walks towards the chair Graevic is on to stand before him, before spinning around with his back to graevic and aholoh to face everyone and exclaim

"Hunt one single prey."

He sweeps the room with one hand and with some difficulty, as though, he was being forced to speak it.

"aas.... one...paack"

Their minds are as scattered as birds at the sound of thunder. Feh. Pinkskins remain pinkskins. I must drive them like the wolf to their prey for them. Why do they seek to find 'Sarloc's heirs'? how does that help to kill the 'sethra' that upsets the balance?..wait..

"When we find and rip sSethra to piecess, you may travel to ssarloc's heirss, You will be glad little pinkskin... to part company with me... by then. Is this acceptable?"

He stands with his head cocked and his palms facing out to you. His tail flickers from side to side in anticipation of the group's decision

OOC: Sorry guys.. Ssathiyaa sees the Sarloc's heir pathway as longshots and is determined to forge ahead with his visions to guide him and Graevic to provide him with a startin point. Again i emphasise that protecting his tribe and you all while his tribe's fate depends upon you are his interests he will not wish to protect Sarloc's heirs just 'cos it is a good deed in itself.. and i think someon needs to rp a very good convincing argument if you wish to get him to abandon a very obvious path to sethra.. at least in 'his mind'. and even if we aren't powerful enough to take him downyet, Ssathiyaa would still rather track down the dark tower and scout and gather intel on sethra and at least deplete him of resources and plan our attack at the best possible moment.. maybe we delay attacking him until.. he attacks an heir or a another bunch of ppl. then we join in and turn him into geography!
:)

Erikkin
2005-07-19, 12:24 PM
Fizahn:

"That is true, but I propose finding his prey and adding them to our pack. With a stronger pack, it will be easier to destroy the tiger, and with it's prey in our pack, we will know it will come to us eventually. If it comes to us, then we will choose the ground upon which it fights. It is better to fight the tiger on open ground than in it's lair. It is now preparing it's lair to serve as a deathtrap for us. It would be better if we lured it away from it's deathtrap into ours. Also with it's prey in our herd, we can change it's hunting grounds so that it doesn't destroy your tribe."

*Fizahn looks gravely at the lizardman once more, giving it time to answer, and preparing his next argument.*

It does us no good to find Sethra if we find him in a place where we are easily killed. I hope that Linda and Graevic will understand my logic, and try to sway the lizardman.

Dr._Bob
2005-07-19, 12:57 PM
Elthan (original) comes downstairs from the library and joins the conversation.

"Remember that, according to Sarloc's journal, Sethra's old fortress was destroyed, and presumably has lain in ruin for centuries. Furthermore, based on the map you found, the Grey Keep appears to be hidden away in the mountains. It seems unlikely that it is currently inhabited by 'innocents'."

"I do, however, understand Fizahn's caution. But, if you decide to leave Sethra alone for now and instead try to find Sarloc's descendants, then you have a big problem. Who and where are they?"

"I have spent many hours studying texts and genealogies, particularly those from the 'Unapproachable' East in the hopes of identifying any of Sarloc's descendants. The most likely line of descent seems to be through the Relik family - a line of nobles from the kingdom of Unther. Unfortunately, many Untherites of noble lineage have been killed since Mulhorand invaded and conquered Unther. If indeed the Relik family is the last branch of Sarloc's line, then perhaps politics and war have already accomplished what Sethra is setting out to do ..."

"Even if my information is correct, therefore, I am not exactly sure whether any descendant still lives. And you still have the problem of how you would go about finding any of Sarloc's descendants even if they would believe your warnings ..."

Thokk says nothing, and instead polishes his sword and armor.

McMouse
2005-07-19, 01:01 PM
Taern's face lights up

"Hey! I had an idea! Why don't we split up. Some of us go and kill Sethra, and some of us go and find Sarloc's kids!"

She looks around eagerly.

OOC: Err... just so you don't take her too seriously, as a player, I'm -not- suggesting we split up. Also, you guys have been listening to her crackpot ideas to take them with a grain of salt, right?

Toadfish
2005-07-19, 02:08 PM
Graevic, looking somewhat refreshed from the meal and wearing some spare clothes, nods slightly at Oden’s comments. ”My friends. Hunting down the heir would be most difficult, as we have very little information to go on. The lands are massive and an heir could be anywhere in then lands. And it could be that, as Oden mention, Mulhorand forces slew the heir during their invasion. However, “ Graevic gets a glint in his eye, ”we KNOW where Sethra was and we know he carries an item of great power. Those two things make him much easier prey than searching for an individual fish in the Dragon Sea. Though, we would have to set out quickly, stopping only to purchase what supplies we need. I can lead use back to his last known location, and we can start our search there for a new trail. Would it be possible to track Sethra through that gem he carries?

Graevic smiles at Taern. ”I have been separated from my friends long enough. We must remain together, no mater which path we chose to take.”

King_of_GRiffins
2005-07-19, 02:14 PM
"Elthan II, The Clone Sorcerer

"Spliting up could concievibly work Taern. Oden Could help us round up the villigers in the area and form a militia to combat Sethra. Three of us could go with the militia and assaut Sethra's Keep, While the other four could go to the east and track down Sarloc's desendent and warn him."

"However, it would still be best to loot what we can from Grey Keep, and, should Sethra be found there, destroy him before he travels to the east."

Erikkin
2005-07-19, 03:01 PM
Fizahn:

"Personally, I don't think that splitting up would be the best idea. We have no idea how powerful Sethra really is. If we are to have a frontal assault, or even a sneak attack, we will need everyone, unless we know that person isn't going, and aren't counting on him." Fizahn turns quickly to look at Elthan, (the first Elthan) smiling at him, he then resumes his speech.

"Elthan, we know you don't want to adventure anymore, but you could help us so much without having to adventure. Just think of it as traveling for research. I'm sure you could find many libraries as great or greater than Oden Homm's, and you'd be able to practice your sorceries. You wouldn't have to combat anything, and you'd probably prove to be a valuable agent for us in Unther. There's also a chance you may find Sarloc's heir."

Dr._Bob
2005-07-19, 05:08 PM
Elthan (original) rubs his chin. "Hmm. That's not a bad idea Fizahn."

"I've always wanted to see the East. And maybe one person poking around won't be as obtrusive as a party of six.

"If I leave right away, I should be able to reach Aglarond in a tenday (or less if the winds cooperate). I can signal back immediately if I find any leads on any of Sarloc's descendants ..."

runehawk
2005-07-19, 06:07 PM
Ssathiyaa:

The lizardkin's tail hangs down without swinging and his shoulders are lowered now. He looks visibly relaxed.

Semuanya rains his blessing on me again. The pinkskins are planning their hunt wisely. My heart feels lighter under the guidance of my lord....
As long as i don't allow further delays in this hunt, this imbalance may vanish before my people may rashly war on these pinkskins. Strange that Sethra should delay to slay my people after his escape. My people's path and his may never have crosssed if he had retreated to his lair with no delays..........Something.....something.. doesn't feel right...

His gaze falls own Fizahn and his eyes turn into slits
The little pinkskin has the spirit of a wolverine. Hard and tough. And his hunting is worthy... for a pinkskin..I mean....
He adds the last thought hastily and shakes his head to come out of his reverie.
Turning to look at Graevic, he studies the human, learning what he can. When Graevic notices him looking Ssathiyaa nods his head slightly.

Speaking to no-one particularly
in draconic, "I'll gather some healing roots for the hurt pinkskin. There are few pinkskins outside but i will not take too long"

before he heads out. He feels confident that the party will hunt Sethra directly.

OOC: Survival and Knowledge (Nature) rolls to scrounge up anything that will aid Graevics recovery or to just bring along for later. He doesn't intend to wander too far so he's willing to return empty handed if necessary. And he intends to find where Tcha(my companion) is and possibly bring him with him back to Oden Homm's

King_of_GRiffins
2005-07-19, 06:23 PM
Elthan II

I don't think I can really offer more to what has been said. We will make a decision when we have all said what we can, and whatever course we decide on, I'll follow.

*Elthan II procedes to sit down and examine the coins again, intent on figuring out what illusions each coin could produce.*

(OOC: I cant find the village we are in on the map. About how far are we from Grey Keep and how long would it take us to get there?)

Toadfish
2005-07-19, 09:44 PM
Graevic nods to no one in general, ”Well then, I’ll take the coins we gained from the barrow and head to town to try and replace my gear. I will return shortly.” With that, Graevic, Aholoh bounding behind him, heads out the house towards town.

((OOC: DR, going to basically purchase what is on my equipment list, if available. Please let me know if I need to change anything or if anything is not available/outside my current means. ))

Dr._Bob
2005-07-20, 05:44 PM
The (as yet un-named) lizardman forages at the edge of Oden Homm's fields for some healing roots while the peasants eye him suspiciously.

Elthan II continues to carefully examine the copper medallions, while the others argue.

Graevic looks quite a bit better this morning, thanks to a bath and the healing magic of Linda and Oden Homm. Unfortunately, even arcane healing is not able to regenerate his left pinky finger, leaving him permanently disfigured.

He borrows a horse and heads into town (Aholoh happily riding on his lap), returning in the afternoon with new armor, weapons, and a pack full of gear.

He graciously accepts the lizardman's herbs, though in truth his healing is almost complete.

Thokk's armor and sword are polished to a mirror finish by this time. "Ach, so when do we set off to kill the wizard?"

King_of_GRiffins
2005-07-21, 06:04 PM
Elthan II

'Well Thokk, assuming we're all ready we could leave right now."

*Elthan II takes the small box of coins and puts it in his bag.*

Dr._Bob
2005-07-23, 11:55 PM
Thokk rolls up the map to the Grey Keep, loads his gear up onto his warhorse, then clambers onto its back. "Laddies (and lassies), I say there's a time for gabbing and there's a time for action. We've done more than enough gabbing. I say it's time we took some action. Who's with me?"

At the same time, Elthan (original) has packed up his own traveling gear and is ready to head east to Hlondeth, where he will catch a ship that will take him across the Sea of Fallen Stars to Velprintalar, capital of Aglarond in the Unapproachable East.

OOC: It's time for each individual to choose a path ... Will you follow Thokk to the Grey Keep, or head to the East in search of Sarloc's descendants with Elthan?

McMouse
2005-07-24, 02:28 AM
*nods firmly to Thokk*

I'm with you. I'll see to it that that damned undead-raiser gets his neck rung.

*She goes and packs her gear*

Erikkin
2005-07-24, 06:42 AM
Fizahn:

"I don't know why I'm doing this, I'll probably end up getting myself killed, but I'm going to the keep with you, Thokk."

*Fizahn swings up onto his pony, ready to go.*

King_of_GRiffins
2005-07-24, 09:05 AM
Elthan II

*Elthan II swings his pack on and jumps onto his horse.*

(OOC: I'll be taking the coins with us. If we/you need/want to have a coin just in case, Elthan will divide them out.)

runehawk
2005-07-24, 02:37 PM
Ssathiyaa:

The lizardman stands next to Graevic and follows him when he rises to join Thokk and the others. He turns to look at Linda.

Dr._Bob
2005-07-24, 04:31 PM
Linda, too, prepares for travel, though it is not immediately clear whether she will be heading to the Keep or if she plans to accompany Elthan (I) to the East.

Oden Homm watches all eight of you as you prepare for departure. The expression on his face is hard to read.

"My friends, I can't shake this strange premonition that our paths will not cross again for a very long time (if ever). I hope that I am wrong, but the feeling is very strong. Before you head out to meet your destinies, please accept a few gifts from an old man ..."

He enters the house, then returns with several items.

He gives Taern an ivory-handled shortspear. Its honed blade shines like silver. "When I saw you give up the waraxe for those spears, I felt that you might be able to put this to good use."

He hands Fizahn a small knapsack with 4 vials inside. "The oil is not to be ingested, but rather is meant as an ointment for your weapons. I trust they will be useful in your quest against this evil necromancer."

And finally he passes a plain gold ring to Linda, his apprentice. "Foolish Linda, always more interested in your arcane studies than in preserving your own skin! I would grieve greatly to hear that any harm came to you. Please wear this in good health."

"And for the rest of you, be well and good hunting!"

OOC: Taern recieves a +1 holy shortspear. Fizahn receives 4 magic oils (Bless Weapon). Linda receives a ring of protection (+1 AC).

Please decide on a marching order and establish three night/watch shifts (either individuals or pairs).

McMouse
2005-07-25, 01:21 AM
Taern Torminson

Taern studies Oden for a long moment, eyes searching the wrinkles of his ancient, care-worn face. Finally, she takes the gift with a thankful nod, examining the spear closely. Silently, she sticks the spear in the holder with the others, carefully tucking it so that it can be drawn quickly. Finally, she looks up once more and speaks, gravely.

"Master Oden Homm... I am forever in your debt. You were the one who first brought me to this group which I now dub my friends."

She waves her hand over the group, naming each in turn.

"Ethan, Thokk, Fizhan, Linda, Graevic..."

She shakes her head, voice filled with emotion.

"Who would have thought that in the few weeks we have been together, a bond so strong could have been formed... Between those so different.. In appearance, in spirit..."

She turns back to Oden.

"I have you to thank for this, all of this. I, Taern Torminson, of the Strongroot clan, am at your service. If.. when.. we meet again, if there is anything I can do to assist you.. to repay this debt.. you have only to ask."

After this emotional (and somewhat cliche) outburst, she quiets again, then raises her voice in a steady elven chant.

May Tymora's lucky smile shine over you.
May trees ever bend and provide you with shade.
May the strong West Wind ever blow at your back.
May the sun illuminate the path before you.
May the moon and the stars ever glitter brightly above your head.
May you find peace and prosperity wherever you wander.

Her blessing said, she mounts her horse and waits for the others to form up.

-------------------------------------------------------

While she is waiting for the others, she draws the softly glowing shortspear from its holder, examining it closely... She swings it a few times, seeing how it responds, and marvelling at the soft golden glow the spear-head sheds.

Finally, she draws it up in the guard position, examining the designs on the shaft.

"I shall call you Aercalad... Holy Light."

She then returns the spear to it's holder and looks around, waiting for the others to finish.

Erikkin
2005-07-25, 07:37 AM
Fizahn:

"I would like to start off by thanking you for this gift. I assume it's some sort of poison, or maybe something magical that will help in combat. It may very well be a long time before we meet, but I'm sure we will meet again. You started us on our adventure in this area, and you provided shelter for us when we ran into problems that we couldn't handle. I hope you live a long and prosperous life. You have done so much good in the time you've already had. I hope you continue to do good, and I will try to solve our mistake." Fizahn announces, while riding the pony, so he's as tall as everyone. When he says "our mistake," he indicates Thokk, Taern, Graevic, Linda, Elthan and himself.

King_of_GRiffins
2005-07-25, 03:14 PM
(OOC: here's my 2cp for marching order and watch.
Everone is represented by the first letter of thier name.

.................................... G
.............................Ta Th S
.................................L E

......................................F

With this order, Greavic can spot anything in front of us, and Fizahn can sneak off to the side and flank from behind. Night watch should be split between Greavic, Ssyathiya, Fizahn and Taern, all of them having the highest spot checks. One can take the night off and the other 3 can watch, alternating each night. Any suggestions?)

Toadfish
2005-07-26, 04:57 PM
Graevic prepares the remainder of his equipment and thanks Oden for his hospitality and gifts. Holding Aholoh in one hand, he mounts his horse, and waits for the others to finish preparing. As Taern finishes her blessings, Graevic holds his silver oak leaf medallion in his hand and whispers quietly, “May the Oak Lord protect us”.

((OOC:
I’m good with the given order and watch plans. S.O.P for Graevic (assuming normal moving speed): Aholoh off to the side in a flanking/scouting position. Bow will be wielded if undergrowth is minimal, otherwise, scimitar and shield. Will keep watch for anything (spot/search/track) out of the ordinary, moving as silently as possible at normal moving speeds))

runehawk
2005-07-26, 05:40 PM
Ssathiyaa:

The lizardkin hardly knew Oden Homm but understands that he offered him hospitality in pinkskin lands. He bows his head slightly as he leaves, at Oden but otherwise says nothing. Once outside he acquiesces to Elthan II's plan and assumes his place patiently waiting for the pinkskins to bid their farewells. He looks into the distance and tries to foresee the weather ahead.

OOC: I have darkvision. I'd be good to leave on night watch. And I'm good with the marching orer. Good job King_of_Griffins.
I hold a barbed dart in a hand and my shield in the other. my club hangs suspended from my belt. In an attack I will first throw my dart and then attack with a claw and secondary bite if it seems like a dangerous foe or drop the shield when i'm close enough and multiattack with 2 claws and a secondary bite. I carry the shield mainly for ranged protection and to fight defensively if i have to.

Sorry i haven't posted in the OOC column. I'll do so soon. My attachment's been crazy-busy.

MODIFIED: thanks cannonade.took me awhile to figure out what i had formed by merging the words night and watch.It has been rectified

McMouse
2005-07-26, 06:07 PM
((OOC: I'm good with the marching order.

Taern will sing jolly elven traveling songs, and on combat, charge in with reckless abandon.))

Belial_the_Leveler
2005-07-26, 06:07 PM
When Oden speaks to her in this way and gives her this parting gift, Linda's face goes red and she almost bursts in crying (almost).
You... you're right as always master-I will miss you... Thank you for this gift-I always focused in my art more than I did in my own safety-and I shall wear it both as a protection and as a reminder to everything you've taught me. I will try to make you proud in this dangerous journey...

Now, I think Elthan is right-the marching order he proposes is good and the shifts he has set would be the best in my opinion as well-no, I don't say that because I don't like to lose my comfort, I just think I wouldn't be suitable for the watch anyway.

Linda becomes a bit redder as she says that-the change of subject was to hide her being touched by what Oden said and gave to her but didn't turn out very well-it would seem that Linda did want to skip being a lookout in order to lazily rest in her bedroll all night... ;D

Dr._Bob
2005-07-26, 10:31 PM
Thokk insists on being included in the watch rotation. "Me being the only one of all of us with the darkvision after all ..."

And then the seven of you are off, headed north into the Orsraun mountains ...

Graevic leads the party back the way he came, as best he can remember. It doesn't take long before it is clear that he is indeed heading toward the same spot marked as the Grey Keep on the map.

It takes several days and nights to retrace Graevic's descent from the mountains. The nighttime chill deepens as you head higher into the mountains, and all but Thokk find the journey increasingly uncomforable as the terrain gets rockier and drier. The lizardman in particular seems ill-suited for this terrain, but he complains not, bearing the cold, dry air stoically.

After the first couple of nights, you decide not to keep a fire burning overnight, so as not to attract any unwanted attention. You shiver yourselves to sleep and awaken to frost covering the ground and your tents in the morning of the third day.

The third night is a crisp clean moonlit one. Thokk is on watch when he spots movement along a nearby ridge. Awakening the rest of you as quietly as he can, he points out about 10 silhouettes, shuffling along toward the east.

The shaggy fur, the hunched posture, and loping gaits of the humanoids make them instantly recognizable as gnolls. They are armed as if for war, but they are heading away from the Grey Keep, rather than towards it. Three or four of them limp or hold their arms stiffly suggesting that they've been injured recently.

They are several hundred yards away and show no signs of being aware of your presence ...

McMouse
2005-07-26, 11:01 PM
Taern

Not waiting for the others, Taern springs atop a nearby rock in plain view of the gnolls, waving Aercalad about as she shouts a challenge to the gnolls.

"Who are you creatures and why are you here? I'll have you know that if you bear hostile intentions, me and my friends won't hesitate to gut you without remorse!"

She waves her spear around some more, and attempts to portray as menacing an air as possible.

OOC: Intimidate check at a +7

She doesn't know when she's horribly outmatched :D

Toadfish
2005-07-27, 12:03 AM
Graevic and Aholoh

Graevic sighs slightly at Taern’s brash action. Whispering loudly ”We do not need to draw attention to ourselves!” Graevic moves silently in a wide arc around where Taern is standing. Drawing and nocking an arrow as he moves. Aholoh, after looking momentarily at Graevic, arcs around in the opposite direction.

{{OOC:
Move silently [+9] to get in a somewhat flanking position of where Taern is standing (assuming the gnolls react and come for her). Will get somewhere that provides a clean shot in that direction.
}}

runehawk
2005-07-27, 10:12 AM
[b]Ssathiyaa:[b]
Shaking his head, and hissing loudly enough to make his displeasure known, Ssathiyaa stalks into a position where he can easily throw his darts at any gnoll that comes within 10ft of Taern.(If it can't be helped he will allow himself to be seen.If not he will stay low.) He keeps an eye out for any hidden surprises on his flank. He prepares to run and flank the gnolls( from the right assuming he's on the right flank of the order)

SEMUANYA! I pray the pinkskin doesn't do this when we find the Sethra-creature. Maybe the pinkskin is too stupid to know what fear is?.....!!..Is it trying to menace those beasts alone?...strange beasts...the hides look thick..good...I need more hide...this cold is freezing me blood and bone. I may get some fresh meat as well.... Semuanya!..The pinkskin had best live for the greater hunt to continue

He crouches low and hefts a dart in a clawed hand readily..

OOC: Ready action against any gnoll that goes 10ft near Taern. Throughout combat, the lizard will disengage from what it's doing if it sees Graevic attacked and attack anything that does.

King_of_GRiffins
2005-07-27, 01:33 PM
Elthan

*Elthan appears to cast a spell, but stops just short of doing so. He then goes to his Crossbow and loads it, hanging it at his side.*

(OOC; Elthan readies an action to cast Mage Armor should combat erupt, and also loads his crossbow.)

Erikkin
2005-07-27, 03:57 PM
Fizahn:

I shouild really get out of this party before she gets me killed...

*Fizahn arcs in the direction opposite from Graevic, following Aholoh. He has his crossbow out, and is ready to shoot at the gnolls should they appear hostile.*

OOC: Just so you know, DR, Fizahn sleeps in his armor, so he's got it on. Upon being woken, his first action would be to strap on his "short sword" located as close as possible, without being a danger of stabbing himself with it, and then grab his crossbow.
Move silently +9

McMouse
2005-07-27, 04:16 PM
OOC: Good point, Fizhan. Taern -doesn't- sleep in her armor. She sleeps in the thickewarmest clothing she can find.

Dr._Bob
2005-07-27, 06:03 PM
The gnolls continue to lope along the ridge, seemingly oblivious to Taern's challenge. For a few heartbeats, you almost believe that they will ignore Taern and continue on their way. Then, one of the larger gnolls (those with low light or darkvision see that she is a female) issues two short barks.

Silently, five of the gnolls break off and head towards your camp. They move in a loose skirmish formation, ducking behind rocks when available, keeping about 30 ft in between each other as they work their way towards your position. Since they are no longer silhouetted against the sky, they are no longer visible to the humans in the party.

The other five gnolls, including the large female, drop back behind the ridge and are no longer visible.

As far as the humans are concerned, the gnolls have vanished. Those of you with better night vision see five gnolls zigzagging purposefully towards your location, popping in and out of view, spread out across the rocky terrain.

McMouse
2005-07-27, 08:25 PM
Taern

Taern heaves a sigh and hops down off of the rock she was using as a pedastal.

"Guess they don't want to talk..."

She thinks a moment.

"Wait.. Does anyone here speak 'ugly-hairy-dogman-ish'?"

Then she assumes a fighting position, attempting to use the soft light from her spear to assist the humans in seeing the surrounding area.

Dr._Bob
2005-07-27, 08:41 PM
Thokk (fully armored at all times) mumbles in dwarven, no doubt cursing Taern's impulsiveness. But the dwarf was never one to turn down a fight, so he grabs his shield and draws his sword, taking up position next to Taern. He peers into the darkness, and seems almost lost in thought as if reliving a battle from his past. "Here they come lads. Steady now."

Elthan and Fizahn crouch behind and slightly off to the side from Thokk and Taern.

The lizardman and Graevic crouch low and slink off in opposite directions to take up flanking positions, though neither can see much in the darkness. Aholoh waddles off even farther into the night in order to act as a scout for Graevic.

Linda continues to slumber, lost in her dreams ...

The five gnolls, drawn by the light from Taern's spear, converge to within 60 feet of your party, taking up positions behind large rocks. They hold there as if awaiting some kind of signal.

King_of_GRiffins
2005-07-27, 11:31 PM
Elthan

*Elthan, from behind Thokk and Taern.*

"You there! We are not here to hurt you. We came here to confront a sorcerer that gaurds himself in a keep not far from here. You came from that direction recently, have you not? You must have seen it."

*Elthan's crossbow hand twitches, just waiting to draw and fire.*

(OOC: Diplomacy at +6)

Belial_the_Leveler
2005-07-28, 03:40 AM
Tired from marching so hard for several miles, Linda falls early to sleep when the team makes camp. A few hours later she is awakened by the shouts of her comrades.
Ugh.. what is going on? To whom are you shouting? Did you really have to wake me up at this unearthy hour of night?
Not seeing the gnolls that have come near the camp, she rises from her bedroll and looks puzzled at her comrades.

runehawk
2005-07-28, 06:55 AM
Ssathiyaa:

What? The beasts are stopping...NO!!... this is all WRONG...we were deceived...

The Lizardman gets up and sprints to the rear of the party..dart in hand. He scans with his darkvision for any obvious threats but expects to spot none. The positioning of hunters from two opposite sides is a tactic so ancient within the natural world and the lizardkin that all he needed was the abrupt cease of the gnolls to know that there was a threat the paryy was oblivious to.

Semuanya grant me speed to stop them before it is too late

OOC: Ssathiyaa will cast entangle on the patch of ground he feels most likely to conceal an enemy 180 degrees to the back of where the gnolls are hiding and where the threat is coming from. ie. he will not just cast in open ground where he sees no one and doesn't get a bad vibe from.If he can see a threat coming then he will cast entangle in their path.

Dr._Bob
2005-07-29, 05:46 PM
The lizardman breaks from his position and sprints away into the darkness. Thokk curses, "I said HOLD greenskin!"

You hear a short bark from one of the gnolls.

Thwip, thwip, thwip, thwip, thwip ...

A flurry of arrows streaks towards Taern and Thokk. Thokk takes two on his shield. One creases Taern's shoulder, opening up a small wound.

OOC: Taern takes 4 hp damage.

King_of_GRiffins
2005-07-29, 06:03 PM
Elthan

"Doesn't seem like they want to talk."

*Elthan says the last word to his spell and fires his crossbow at the least concield gnoll.*

Dr._Bob
2005-07-29, 06:32 PM
Elthan's crossbow bolt glances off a rock, forcing one of the gnolls to duck back behind cover for a moment.

Toadfish
2005-07-29, 10:15 PM
(If Graevic can see the Gnolls in the light from the party still in the camp, he will stick with ranged attacks. Otherwise, he will close to melee, scimitar and kukri in hand)

Dr._Bob
2005-07-29, 10:51 PM
It is too dark for Graevic to make out exactly where the gnolls are, but when he hears the twang of their shortbows and the hiss of their arrows, he decides to quickly close to melee range, angling in from the side in the hopes of flanking their skirmish line.

Thokk sees Graevic's movement, and charges straight ahead into the midst of the gnolls, letting out a dwarven war cry in an attempt to keep them from noticing Graevic's flanking maneuver.

Meanwhile, behind the party the lizardman peers into the darkness, entangle spell ready, to make sure the party isn't ambushed from behind ...

Belial_the_Leveler
2005-07-30, 02:26 PM
Linda takes a small stone and mutters a few words. Suddenly, the small stone sheds light as bright as a good torch, illuminating the area for all to see.

sacreddeamon
2005-07-30, 07:39 PM
Thokk

"May my weapon be as thy hammer, striking thy enimies unto oblivian'

*Three guesses what Thokk is going to do. Ill give you a hint. It involves hacking and slashing everything in his way*

Dr._Bob
2005-07-30, 09:21 PM
Linda raises the glowing rock over her head, casting a soft light that reveals Fizahn's and Elthan's position as they crouch down with their crossbows. The light spell isn't powerful enough to illuminate the gnolls holding their positions 60 feet way, but it does make Linda a tempting target ...

"Get down!" Fizahn warns Linda as he looses a crossbow bolt toward a gnoll. The bolt ricochets off a rock into the night. Elthan busily reloads his crossbow.

A second volley of arrows screams out of the darkness. Three arrows strike Linda, one piercing her chest just above her heart. She falls backward without a sound. The light-ed stone rolls from her hand, casting dancing shadows across the rocky terrain.

Thokk cuts down the first gnoll he encounters, and without pausing moves on toward his next target. Graevic slips in from the side, chops a gnoll's bow in half with his kukri, then slashes deeply with his scimitar. The remaining gnolls throw aside their bows and ready their battleaxes.

The lizardman crouches behind the others, peering toward the rear. When Linda casts her light spell, he glances back towards the others. As he does so, he spots several shadowy forms converging from the party's right flank. Semuanya! The second squad of gnolls charges in from the party's undefended flank.

The lizardman spins around, hisses, and gestures with a clawed hand. Vines rise up out of the gravel and entangle the two gnolls closest to his position. The other three gnolls, including the female leader, close in on Elthan's position, battleaxes ready to swing.

Taern stares at the chaos that has erupted in front of her, behind her, and to the side (all because of her foolish actions). She shifts her weight back and forth, undecided about what to do next.

OOC: Combat summary:

Linda casts light. Elthan misses with a natural 1. Fizahn misses with a 16 (10 + 6).

Gnolls attack (natural 20, confirmed with a 19; 12, 12, 8, 5) and hit Linda with three arrows, one critical. Linda takes 20 (4 + 3 + 6 + 4 + 3) damage.

Thokk hits with a 25 (16 + 9) for 11 (5 + 6) damage, killing one gnoll.

Graevic attacks with his rapier hitting with a 20 (14 + 6) for 5 damage.

The lizardman casts entangle on two gnolls.

Current HP

Taern: 25
Linda: 0 (20 - 20) disabled

King_of_GRiffins
2005-07-30, 09:34 PM
Elthan

"Damn! Take this!"

*Elthan begins chanting darkly.*

(OOC:Cast ray of enfeblement at the same gnoll, assuming gnoll has not fallen. This should be fun to the gnoll fall under the weight of thier own clothing. Mwahahahaha! It's the power of necromancy! The power of evil compels you!)

sacreddeamon
2005-07-30, 09:40 PM
Thokk

"Lassie! Ill protect ye!"

*Start moving towards Linda if it is feasible, taking a double move to stand over her or along side her. If I cannot reach her in one turn, I will move as close as possible while still attacking Gnolls*

McMouse
2005-07-31, 12:00 AM
Taern Torminson

Taern, wavering at first, sees Linda savagely struck down. As the blood trickles down her chest, her eyes go from their normal bright green to a coppery color, and she lets out a deafening bellow, roaring in Elven as she leaps across the rocks, recklessly charging the gnoll leader.

IN TYMORA'S HOLY NAME, AND BY THE STRENGTH OF THE STRONGROOT CLAN, I SHALL SLAY YOU BACKSTABBING DOGFIENDS! YOUR BLOOD WILL COAT MY SPEAR AS YOUR BODIES LAY SCATTERED ON THE GROUND! TASTE MY WRATH, SCUMBAGS, AND KNOW THAT IT IS YOUR DOOM!

OOC: Bah, being on vacation for a day and a half cost Taern her action.

Taern will Rage, then attempt to charge the leader, attacking with Aercalad. If charging is impossible, she will run towards the leader, getting as close as she can.

Her attack (if the charge is successful) is at +11 for 1d6+2d6(if they are Evil)+5 damage.

EDIT: From Raging, she now has 33 HP. The Rage lasts for 4 rounds.

Belial_the_Leveler
2005-07-31, 02:25 AM
Heavily wounded by her own shortsightedness, Linda chants a healing spell that will patch up her wounds somewhat. Ofcourse, she did see that the party needed light but always rash, she did not realise that the light would make her a target-or maybe didn't care to spare a thought on that. In pain and with three arrows in her body, she now pays for her lack of wisdom. After healing herself, she tries to crawl away from the thick of combat.

OOC: That's what I get for trying to RP a high intelligence, arrogant and not very wise character. Anyway, cure light wounds on self then crawl away from the advancing gnolls.

runehawk
2005-07-31, 06:46 AM
Ssathiyaa:

Ssathiyaa runs forwards and hoists his dart at the nearest gnoll.
(OOC: This will be one of the gnolls next to the leader if possible or one of the entangled ones if not.)
He utters the words of his favourite spell, nafass and gestures with his claw and notes the familiar green glow return around his claws before charging one of the bodyguards.

OOC: Ssathiyaa moves, throws a ranged weapon and then casts Magic Fang, he moves that round and will charge the next round. Incidentally is it possible for him to jump onto an opponent and knock him down and then disembowel him? ambitious and very jurassic park, i know but if a modified 'overrun' is allowed i'd like to. ;D

Toadfish
2005-07-31, 10:32 AM
Graevic

Graevic, seeing Thokk withdrawing to defend the fallen Linda, attacks the nearest gnoll with scimitar and kurki, yelling loudly trying to draw attention to himself to protect Thokk's retreat. While attacking, he mentally calls for Aholoh to flank the gnoll hs is engaged with.

Dr._Bob
2005-07-31, 11:58 AM
Linda concentrates, eyes closed, using her inborn arcane abilities to staunch the flow of blood from her wounds. The third arrow is lodged just above her aorta, and it twitches with every heartbeat, but Linda is stable for now.

Thokk falls back, standing in a defensive posture over Linda, leaving Graevic to engage the gnolls alone. Elthan murmurs and points to one of the gnolls without effect.

Aholoh leaps out from behind a rock and sinks his small teeth into the hindquarters of the gnoll facing Graevic, which opens up an opportunity for Graevic to slash the gnoll across the throat. The gnoll falls gurgling to the ground.

As the remaining three gnolls close on Graevic, Fizahn snipes one. The gnoll yelps as Fizahn's crossbow bolt lodges in his flank. Surprisingly disciplined, the gnolls press the attack, and Graevic narrowly avoids being decapitated. As it is, one blow clips him along the ribs. Only his mithril shirt prevents him from being critically injured.

Taern charges to the right, straight into the second set of gnolls. As she chants, she thrusts her shortspear all the way through the chest of the gnoll leader. The spear penetrates as if the gnoll's ribs were not even there. For a moment Taern and the gnoll bitch stand with their faces only inches apart. The gnoll looks at Taern with surprise, or is it respect? It is hard to tell. The gnoll dies on her feet, impaled on Taern's spear.

The lizardman rushes toward the remaining gnolls, hurling a barbed dart at the nearest one. The dart flies true, sinking deeply into the gnoll's neck.

The two gnolls fiercely attack Taern, attempting to avenge the death of their leader. Taern absorbs their blows without flinching. Deep in her battlelust, she doesn't even notice the blood trickling down her arms and sides.

OOC: Combat summary (three gnolls remain engaged in melee with Graevic; another pair of gnolls are fighting Taern; two more gnolls are entangled):

Thokk moves next to Linda. Linda casts cure light wounds for 7 points. Elthan casts ray of enfeeblement but misses with a 9 (7 + 2). Fizahn shoots a gnoll with a 23 (16 + 7) hitting for 3 damage.

Graevic attacks with a 21 (13 + 8) and a 9 (2 + 8) hitting once for 6 damage. Aholoh attacks with a 20 (14 + 6) hitting for 1 point of damage.

Three gnolls attack Graevic (8, 16, 21), one hits for 5 damage.

Taern charges with a 20 (9 + 11) hitting for 14 points of damage, killing the gnoll leader.

The lizardman attacks a gnoll with a natural 20 (confirms critical with a 15 (13 + 2)) hitting for 6 points.

Two gnolls attack Taern (12, 22) and both hit for 7 and 4 points.

Current HP

Linda: 7 (0 + 7)
Taern: 22 (33 - 11)
Graevic: 18 (23 - 5)

King_of_GRiffins
2005-07-31, 12:14 PM
Elthan

*After two failed attacks, Eltahn swears and rereats to Thokks position, where begins chanting again, making the air feel slightly colder.*

(OOC: Moving to behind Thokk, next to Linda, and casting Chill Touch.)

McMouse
2005-07-31, 01:52 PM
Taern

Roaring in pure fury, Taern whirls, stabbing viciously at the gnoll that caused her the most discomfort.

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRG!

DIE! DIE! DIE!

OOC: Attack the one which hit me for 7 points of damage at +9 for 3d6+6 points of damage.

EDIT: Forgot to factor in Aercalad's +1 enhancement.

sacreddeamon
2005-07-31, 07:23 PM
Thokk

"Elthan, you protect the lady, I will kill them all!"

*Charges the group that Graevic is tackling alone*

runehawk
2005-07-31, 07:25 PM
Ssathiyaa
Snarling with his his serrated teeth-filled mouth wide open, Ssathiyaa voices his triumph at his well-aimed strike. He glances over at Linda and the entangled gnolls and feels..strangely relieved?..
that she is still alive.

..I do not believe the fate of a pinkskin..a magic-user at that..means anything to me beyond this hunt..

(He will cast his spell and continue as before)

(Continue to home in on the gnoll i just critted.. ;D.. and flank him with taern after Magic Fang...I will drop my shield at the last possible moment before I ram him. Multiattack with primary 2 claws with magic fang and secondary bite: 2claws: +4 /2D4 +6, bite: +1/ 1D4+1.Thanks)

Toadfish
2005-07-31, 07:29 PM
Graevic

Graevic eyes the gnolls warily, as if weighting his options. Looking over their shoulders, he sees that Linda appears somewhat better and nods slightly at Thokk. A look of concentration draws on his face as he returns his attention to the gnolls. In a fluid movement, he swings his scimitar at one, spins and swings his kurki at another.

((OOC: I THINK I can split my attacks, if not then I’ll attack one. If I can attack two, then the one that I attack with the kukri will be the one Aholoh flanks. If I can only attack one, then Aholoh will flank that one.))

Erikkin
2005-07-31, 07:35 PM
Fizahn:

"Don't worry Graevic, help is on it's way!" After shout this, Fizahn drops his crossbow and draws his "short sword." Sparing a brief moment to glance at the melee with Taern, he turns back toward Graevic and spares enough time for a short remark before hustling toward him. "Go save him Thokk."

OOC: Move towards the gnolls attacking Graevic and try to maneuver into a flanking position. Attack when possible, but he won't charge them.

Dr._Bob
2005-07-31, 10:32 PM
Graevic engages two gnolls simultaneously, parrying and slashing with his scimitar and silver kukri. He cuts them both deeply, but their axes smash through his defences, knocking him to the ground. One of the gnolls kicks Aholoh out of the way.

Thokk charges the third gnoll, cutting him down from behind. Fizahn follows close behind, his "shortsword" drawn. The two gnolls stand over Graevic as they prepare to engage Thokk and Fizahn. One raises his axe over Graevic in a threatening manner, as if to say, "Stand back, or he dies!"

Linda crawls behind a rock for safety. Elthan guards her, frost forming on his hands as he chants.

Taern kicks the corpse of the gnoll leader off of her spear, then thrusts an adjacent gnoll in the gut, killing him instantly as well. The remaining gnoll chops at Taern, but she blocks his blow with the butt of her spear.

The lizardman sprints toward Taern, his claws bared. Out of the corner of his eye, he notices that one of the entangled gnolls has wriggled to freedom. The gnoll assesses the situation and begins to retreat, loosing an arrow toward the melee as he flees. The arrow flies harmlessly overhead.

OOC: Two gnolls remain vs. Graevic, Thokk, and Fizahn. One gnoll remains engaged with Taern. One gnoll is entangled. One gnoll is fleeing.

Graevic attacks one gnoll with his scimitar hitting with an 18 (13 + 5) for 5 damage. The other gnoll he attacks with his kukri hitting with a 15 (12 + 3) for 3 damage. Thokk charges and hits with a 28 (15 + 13) for 13 damage, killing one gnoll. The other two gnolls hit Graevic with a 21 and 18 for 15 (6 + 9) damage.

Taern hits a gnoll with a 16 (9 + 7) for 15 damage, killing him. The other gnoll misses with an 8. The lizardman moves and casts magic fang. The fleeing gnoll misses with a 5.

Current HP

Linda: 7
Taern: 22
Graevic: 3 (18 - 15)

Toadfish
2005-08-01, 07:10 AM
Graevic

Feeling his strength slip from him, Graevic shifts into a defensive stance, focusing his efforts at preventing the gnolls from hitting him again.

((OOC: Fight defensively this round))

McMouse
2005-08-01, 01:00 PM
Taern

Taern continues her reckless assault, stabbing and slashing with her spear.

OOC: Another attack at +9 for 3d6+6 damage on the nearest gnoll

King_of_GRiffins
2005-08-01, 02:16 PM
Elthan

*Elthans spell complete, he glances at Linda.*
"Linda, follow me. We're going to capture a gnoll. If you have rope, get it out."
*Elthan goes over to the entangled gnoll, intent on taking it prisoner for questioning.*

(OOC:Moving towards entangled gnoll and using chill touch. I can attack with this spell 4 times, it does 1d6 damage and 1 str damage.)

sacreddeamon
2005-08-01, 07:06 PM
Thokk

"Das ekens'kvan tis quel fara'n!"
"Your blood shall be bathed in!"
(Literly translated, meaninging "I will bath in your blood")

sacreddeamon
2005-08-01, 07:26 PM
Thokk

"Das ekens'kvan tis quel fara'n!"
"Your blood shall be bathed in!"
(Literly translated, meaninging "I will bathe in your blood")

runehawk
2005-08-01, 08:44 PM
Ssathiyaa:
Seeing Graevic, the one pinkskin who could lead him straight to Sethra's trail under attack, the lizardman changes direction and charges straight for the gnolls towering over Graevic

Dr._Bob
2005-08-02, 10:56 AM
Seeing Thokk and Fizahn closing in, the two gnolls snarl and withdraw, loping off into the night, leaving Graevic wounded but alive.

The one gnoll not yet slain by Taern also attempts to flee, but he gets cut off by the lizardman. Like a raptor, the lizardman leaps through the air, landing heavily on the gnoll. The lizardman's claws tear at the gnoll's hide, viciously ripping out the unfortunate gnoll's throat and entrails.

Seeing the battle wind down, Elthan makes his way over toward the entangled gnoll, but when he gets to within 10 ft of the gnoll, vines rise up and hold him fast. Within seconds, Elthan is as entangled as the gnoll ...

OOC: Six gnolls have been slain, three have escaped, and one has been captured.

The lizardman hits twice with 17 (13 + 4) and 17 (13 + 4) for a total of 28 (10 + 14) damage, killing one of the fleeing gnolls.

Belial_the_Leveler
2005-08-02, 11:50 AM
You know... I should have become a healer...
says Linda through gritted teeth, working another healing spell on herself. The spell's power knits her wounds and expells the near-deadly arrow from her chest.
Since I'm not so good in combat, perhaps I can heal your wounds instead?
says Linda with as much dignity as she can muster...

runehawk
2005-08-02, 12:42 PM
Ssathiyaa:

feh... the meat is stringy..the hide...hmm..filthy..but curing will see to that..mmm..fresh meat

He lifts his bloodied claws and begins dragging his kill to a more convenient location, intent on skinining and cooking it. He notices Elthan entangled and rolls his eyes in disgust.

pinkskins...always blundering into trouble.. even hatchlings have better sense..feh..

He waits for the others to surround the gnoll and elthan before dismissing the entangle spell. He drags his kill towards Graevic and assesses Graevic's condition. If he sees Graevic needing aid he drop his food and will go to him.

As long as no one disturbs him, Ssathiyaa will begin to skin and store meat and hide. He eats some raw meat but store whatever he can carry. He expects to chase after the escapee immediately.

[i]OOC: DR.. thank thank you so much that was so cathartic.. i prob won't do it again if it's disruptive but..*tears of joy* thanks mate.. uh can someone 'interview' the gnoll. Something tells me that Fizahn is gonna encourage him to talk..*evil grin*.. I'm gonna enjoy that..ooc of 'cos

King_of_GRiffins
2005-08-02, 02:52 PM
Eltahn

*Elthan strugles to free himself from the spell.*
"Errr, someone. Help. Oh, hello gnoll, come here often? Someone get the rope from my bag. Oh wait, dont, you'll get entangled. Uh, surround us first and wait for the spell to end and we'll tie him up."

*Elthan waits for the others to surround the spell effect and for it to dispell.*

(OOC: good Idea runehawk, better than running into it. And having 18-19 charisma, I should probally interogate him. But go ahead and do it if you want, It'll be a group interrogation session :))

Erikkin
2005-08-02, 03:28 PM
Fizahn:

"I'm willing to bet gold that this loutish brute doesn't even speak common. Is anyone willing to take me on? What about you, gnoll, are you willing to take that bet? He might be able to speak common, but I doubt he speaks Draconic. If he's greedy enough, he'll admit to speaking common and won't be able to pretend he doesn't know it. I don't think we have to worry about the escaped gnolls bringing reinforcements for a while. I'd interrogate our prisoner, and then leave."

King_of_GRiffins
2005-08-02, 03:44 PM
Elthan

"I'm willing to go along with that. Two more gold says he cant."" Good Idea Fizahn, we can just slit his throught if he cant and move on with our mission. Now, how about helping me out? Fizahn? Lizardman? Please?"

Dr._Bob
2005-08-02, 10:05 PM
The lizardman dismisses the entangle spell, and in short order the gnoll is bound securely.

Linda tends to herself, grimacing as she withdraws the arrow from her chest. She then moves on to aid Graevic.

The gnoll glowers at Fizahn and Elthan, but either doesn't speak common or doesn't want to talk. The gnoll remains defiant until he sees Graevic approach. Recognition appears in the gnoll's eyes, and he bares his fangs, seemingly more out of fear than anger.

The gnoll growls and barks, saying something in the gnoll language directed at Graevic. The gnoll bows his head, despite his bonds, assuming as submissive a posture as possible.

OOC: Linda heals 9 points for herself and 6 points for Graevic.

King_of_GRiffins
2005-08-02, 10:44 PM
Elthan

*Elthan notices the adverse reaction of the gnoll to Greavic. He speaks slowly and coolly*

"Well well well. It appears as though our captive did recently come from the castle. Intresting. So Gnoll, you remember Sethra here, don't you? Tell us what you where doing at the castle, and we will let you go. We wont follow you, we wont kill you, just tell us what you have been doing."

(OOC: Bluff check +10, noone else talk, you could ruin the illusion. This should be fun. Greavic should probally take an intimidating stance, adding +2, as he is considered to be sethra.

runehawk
2005-08-03, 05:45 AM
Ssathiyaa:
After packing his food(meat), and having accumulated usable hide, Ssathiyaa looks to the others to see what they intend to do. The cold had been steadily worsening in the night and he was wandering if they were camping somewhere. With
a shiver he suppresses, he strides over to the prisoner.

Looking at the hide across one shoulder, he figures that he might have to discard most of it but enough might be cured and usable enough to help keep a bit warmer.

He ignores any looks of disgust he receives,
To kill to feed, to live, to protect home and young is the way of things. Monsters the pinkskins call us but we do not slaughter senselessly... as they do at times.. how strange these pinkskins are.. they are not mere animals but not wise in the way of things either. Yet they run amok in the world, threatening my people and even the balance with their unchecked strength.

He nods at a fully recovered Linda.
Good..losing one of you may affect the outcome of this hunt

He stands behind the gnoll so it is unable to see him and asks, in common.
"Has for us, the dog-kin, words? "

He points in the direction of the gnoll that escaped, obviously indicating that this wasn't over yet..
While curious as to why the gnolls ambushed them,
Ssathiyaa feels answers might be more forthcoming my tracking the lone escapee. If he learns that Sethra might be responsible for the attack, he will insist on pursuing and killing the gnoll before it raises the alarm.

OOC: Guys don't forget to loot the corpses. Other than booty.. may have something impt(the leader). Kinda outta character for a druid + lizard to be interested in baubles... and mercy is an alien concept. If lizardfolk allow things to escape it's so next season the animals may restore the population. simple hunter sense. etc.

Erikkin
2005-08-03, 07:06 AM
Fizahn:

*Fizahn steps away from the interrogation of the gnoll, letting his more charismatic companions do the work. Instead, he heads over to the bodies, and decides to use the leader as a focal point for a pile of dead gnolls. After much dragging of the bodies, Fizahn is extremely tired, and he returns to the group to grab Thokk.*

"Help me out over here. If we get the gnolls in a small area, it'll be easier to tally the loot."

Toadfish
2005-08-03, 11:26 AM
Graevic

Still splattered with gnoll blood, Graevic slowly steps towards the gnoll, scimitar and kukri in hand. He says nothing, simply standing within striking distance of the captured gnoll, glaring at it with anger filled eyes. Aholoh stands next to Graevic, growling deeply at the gnoll.

((Wish I had my character sheet available here, dang it))

McMouse
2005-08-03, 12:08 PM
Taern

Taern looks around, slightly shocked as she sees no more opponents. The coppery tint fades from her eyes, and she slumps against a nearby rock, panting. She wipes her spear on the ground, then cleans the end with a rag.

Finally, she hefts herself back up and goes over to stand by Graevic, glaring at the gnoll.

Dr._Bob
2005-08-03, 05:42 PM
Thokk and Fizahn examine the gnoll corpses carefully. Sadly, the gnolls are carrying very little in the way of loot. Altogether, Fizahn scrapes up 45 cp and 18 sp. The gnoll leader was wearing a gold earring. That at least might be worth something. Surprisingly, the gnolls are carrying no gear other than their weapons and a few waterskins. Several of them bear wounds that predate the battle they just fought (and died) in. The wounds appear to have been hastily dressed.

The captured gnoll glares back at Elthan and Taern. He growls and barks a question in gnoll to Graevic. When he gets no response, he repeats the question. After a minute, he gives up, however, realizing that none of you speak his language.

The gnoll rolls onto his back, a submissive posture, but his gaze remains defiant. It is as if he is saying, "Go ahead and kill me. I am not afraid."

King_of_GRiffins
2005-08-03, 06:01 PM
Elthan

*Elthan relizing the language bairier thinks quickly.*

"It doesn't appear as though we're going to get anytyhing out of him without a common language. Wait, some gnolls speak goblin, dont they? But who here would know...... HEY THOKK! COME OVER HERE! WE COULD USE YOUR EXPERTISE!"

(OOC: Thokk should know goblin, so if the gnoll by chance also knows it we could get something out of him. I suggest we dont try the 'We are sethras group, you know we can kill you' act. it wouldnt work as we have proven our selves unable to speak gnoll, which sethra obviously could.)

Dr._Bob
2005-08-03, 10:55 PM
Thokk comes over grumbling about the slim pickings recovered from the slain gnolls.

When he begins to speak to the gnoll in goblin, the gnoll's ears perk up. Amazingly, Thokk and the gnoll both know enough broken goblin to communicate.

Thokk interrogates the gnoll for almost an hour. Occasionally, the gnoll stops cooperating, and Thokk has to draw his sword and threaten to decapitate the gnoll to get him talking again. Eventually, however, Thokk gets the whole story out of the gnoll ...

Apparently, the gnoll was a member of a warband consisting of 50 gnolls based out of the ruins of an ancient tower (presumably the Gray Keep). The gnolls had been established there for some time, and the fort had been a good base of operations for raids on human or orc settlements to the west in the Shining Plains or to the east in Turmish.

Several days ago (probably around the time you were fighting the zombies in the Wetwoods), the gnolls were attacked by about a dozen undead lizardkin, led by a scimitar wielding human (presumably Graevic/Sethra). At first, the gnolls cut down the zombies easily, but the zombies kept reanimating and combining into larger undead behemoths. The undead attack was relentless.

At one point, three gnolls broke through the undead and engaged the human. Two of the gnolls dropped dead, apparently succumbing to some kind of wizardry, but the third gnoll managed to wound the human badly. In a decidedly un-gnoll-like show of self-sacrifice, the gnoll wrapped his arms around the human, and threw himself and the human over the edge of a nearby crevasse and vanished ...

In the end, however, the undead (despite being leaderless) trapped the gnolls in their own fort and slaughtered them. Only a small number of gnolls made it out of the fort alive. The highest ranking surviving gnoll had gathered the survivors, and they were moving outward from the fort in concentric circles in order to gather up any other gnolls that had escaped the undead onslaught.

When Taern leaped up, surprising and threatening the gnolls, the gnolls reacted in what they would consider self-defence. The three gnolls that escaped are no doubt far away by now.

The gnoll was surprised to see the human (Graevic) still alive. The gnoll respects (and fears) his power and acknowledges that the human and his undead minions crushed the gnolls in battle.

The gnoll fully expects to be killed, but he would be willing to lead your party back to the site of the gnoll fort, avoiding the traps that the gnolls had put in place along the "obvious" paths, in exchange for freedom.

King_of_GRiffins
2005-08-03, 11:11 PM
Eltahn

"Well, I believe we've intimidated him enough. We've caused enough fear in him to ensure his trust. If he says he can deliver us safely to the keep, I'm sure he'll keep his word."

(OOC: how long can I keep a charge? I cast chill touch and havn't used it once. Acording to the book i can keep it indefinetly as long as i dont dismiss the charge or use 4 times.)

runehawk
2005-08-04, 07:00 AM
Ssathiyaa:
As the story unfolds, Ssathiyaa finds it diificult to keep up at times but he understands that the gist of it was that the wizard-spirit controlling the party member "Graevic" attacked the gnolls at a tower.. Could it be the tower of my vision?..
And that the gnolls were slaughtered and the survivors just attacked the party. And that the gnoll captive was willing to lead them to the tower.

Something nagged at him though. The Sethra controlled graevic was lost. So where was Sethra now?.. and how did Sethra attack and controll the pinkskin "Graevic"?

And then many things began to fall into place. Word that passed among his kin that a party of adventurers had entered the ancient barrows. The imbalance that occurred as the Sethra creature ravaged the lizardkin and set off a possible war. How apt it would be of the GREAT BALANCE to correct the imbalance by sending those who caused it in the first place.

The lizardman cursed his blindness, in his burning need... his desperation to hunt Sethra, He had not noticed that Graevic and the others had released it. He had not wondered how Graevic came to be 'controlled' in the first place.

A cold-blooded creature only accustommed to minor stirrings of emotion, Ssathiyaa began to feel rage.

In draconic, hissing and with a neck rapidly bulging in and out,
"Pinkskinsss, I sssee now... WHY the sspirits sspoke to me and guided you to thiss druid. I sseek to hunt down the sSethra... to presserve the people and to make right the balance as it wass...Why do you?..your packmate iss rejoined with you..

...Tell me... what hapened.. in the ruinss.

How came you to hunt this sSethra?..

Before the hut.., when we fought asss one againsst the abomination, what came to pass?

I MUSssT know"

He stamps his right foot down at the sound of 'MUSt'.
He looks around and finally focuses on Fizahn.
He doesn't repeat the staccato of anger-tinged draconic he spouted in common for the benefit of the others

OOC: pls don't think me stupid but while my char knew there was a connection between everyone, the sequence of events and Sethra, he's been so hellbent on finding Sethra and figuring out how to find good odds to kill him that he never put 2 and 2 together. Don't worry I don't intend to attack anyone but gimme some allowance. you did come to my 'home' and upset my normal life.. and in a way you're indirectly responsible for the slaughter of the lizardkin and dragging us into the mess. My char has a right to be mad.. I as the player am not of 'cos.
And as DR says good RPing all around guys and this is definately a whopping campaign

Toadfish
2005-08-04, 10:46 AM
Graevic nods to Elthan, ”While we can trust him, no allow his submissiveness lull us into complacency. We will not slay the helpless, even a disgusting creature like this one, so we must be wary that he does not lead us into a trap. I do not think the gnolls that ran will return, but we must still be vigilant.”

Turning to Ssathiyaa, Graevic looks saddened. ”We opened the door under which Sethra’s spirit was trapped. We did not know that he had survived this long. As we entered the chamber where Sarloc and his band destroyed Sethra’s physical form, Sethra’s power overwhelmed me and he took control of my body. My friends tried desperately to stop him, but were unprepared for such a battle. Sethra escapade, leaving several of my friends seriously injured. What happened after that is a bit foggy for me. I can see shadowy glimpses, but nothing more. I awoke near the keep that we are now approaching and made my way back to our friend Olden’s house. So, yes, we unknowingly released the evil of Sethra back into the lands. I understand that, while in my body, Sethra may have done wicked things to some of your kin. For that I am sorry, and I will attempt to make amends to you and your kin, however, now is not the time. We must stop Sethra before he harms anyone else. We released him, and we will stop him.”

Graevic kneels down as Aholoh comes running to him. He runs his hands over the fiesty badger, checking for wounds.

sacreddeamon
2005-08-04, 08:34 PM
Thokk

[color=green] "Ok lad, we shall spare your life if you lead us the correct way. Beware, though, for I have single-handidly defeated the one that you fear, and my power is tenfold what he posseses. Stay true to your word, or you shall meet the pointed end of my sword. If you do cooperate, we will send you off, intact, to rejoin and go someplace else. One final word, if I ever find out you attack a dwarven settlement, the Hammer of fijlk'edidm will rain upon you "[/green]

OOC: Green in Goblin, and Im guessing there is no word for Moradin in Goblin, so I wrote what it would seem like to his doggish ears

McMouse
2005-08-05, 12:34 PM
Taern

After the first half-hour of the interrogation, Taern begins to lose interest. As the time stretches on for her, she examines her surrounding a little bit more, looking for anything of interest, specifically, traps which could be recovered, prey, interesting plants, caves, secret doors, and that sort of things.

OOC: Search check +1

When the interrogation has finished, Taern comes back with any findings, carefully stepping over dead gnoll bodies, and listens quietly to Thokk as he relates what went on.

"So... Uhh... Where's Sethra now? Has he gone into another gem? Is he posessing one of the ugly dog-men? Is he just crawling around his castle? Is he even -in- the castle?"

She shrugs.

"I bet he's using his undead to destroy the countryside. That's what these evil wizard-types do, you know. They opress the countryside, until a band of heroes like ourselves comes to kill them."

"Anyway, it's getting on towards morning. I say we tie up the smelly brute, and stick it way over there so we don't have to lose sleep over it's stench."

She looks at the lizardman.

"Besides, of -course- we released this guy into the world. Otherwise we wouldn't be here. The tale-teller always said..."

She clears her throat importantly, and speaks in an unnaturally deep voice.

"He always said 'Taern, if you happen to unleash a horrible evil upon the world, it's your duty to seal it away or kill it.'"

She trails off, preparing her bedroll again, attempting to catch a few precious hours of slumber before day breaks.

Toadfish
2005-08-05, 02:09 PM
Graevic

"I agree with Taern. Set a watch and try to rest for the remainder of the evening. Thokk, since you can see better than most of us, why don't you take the first watch? Keep the gnoll near the person on watch, it will be less likely to call out or attempt to give our position away if there is a naked sword near it."

sacreddeamon
2005-08-05, 10:45 PM
Thokk

"Ah, can do, beardless laddie, can do"

Dr._Bob
2005-08-05, 11:11 PM
Taern is just as disappointed as Fizahn was to find almost nothing of value on the gnolls. It would appear that when the gnolls left their "home" they did not have much time to grab more than their weapons and armor.

The remainder of the night passes uneventfully, though after the adrenaline rush of combat everyone sleeps restlessly. The gnoll captive lies passively on the cold, rocky ground, as if unaffected by the chill. Instead of sleeping, the gnoll stares up at the stars, softly chanting to himself.

When dawn breaks, your party continues to ride towards the Gray Keep with the gnoll (bound and tethered to Thokk's saddle horn) leading the way. It is cold and damp this day, with a light mist that obscures your vision past a few hundred yards. On a positive note, the map, Graevic, and the gnoll all seem to be in agreement as far as the location of the ruined tower is concerned.

By late afternoon, you are approaching the location of the Gray Keep/gnoll fort. Even through the mist, you can hear the cries of carrion birds.

You are riding along a narrow trail along the mountainside. To your left, a sheer cliff plunges down into the mist. To your right is the side of the mountain. The air is thin and cold here, but steam rises from your mounts as the incline becomes steeper.

Finally, the gnoll stops. The trail has become very narrow here, a ledge barely a foot wide. The horses and ponies will not be able to carry you any farther.

As you dismount, Thokk unties the gnoll from his saddle. The gnoll indicates to Thokk (in goblin) that the ruined tower is just around the next bend ...

runehawk
2005-08-06, 11:14 AM
Ssathiyaa:
Ssathiyaa didn't sleep much in the night, while thokk sat up in watch, he cured his hides and in the morning added whatever pieces he could to his hide armor and covered his body as best as possible to keep warm. Come morning he still hadn't spoken to anyone, he simply picked up and followed the others. Stopping Sethra still was the most important hunt on his mind. As for the others, they would be dealt with later. He snapped out of his reverie as the others dismonted..

sacreddeamon
2005-08-07, 08:59 PM
Thokk

(In Goblin)
"Ah, good job. We now give you your life, go as you please, and we shall not pursue. On this I give the oath of Clan Ikens' Glan"

Dr._Bob
2005-08-07, 09:54 PM
The gnoll seems surprised at actually being set free. He nods his head in gratitude, then scampers off ahead of you into the mist.

The rest of you gather your belongings, check your armor, and ready your weapons, preparing to assault on the Gray Keep on foot.

Suddenly, Fizahn whispers, "SHHHH!!! I hear something ..."

As everyone freezes and strains to listen, you hear from the trail behind you the clip-clop of an approaching horse. The mist is too thick to allow you to see who is approaching, but whoever it is, he/she/it is definitely heading your way ...

King_of_GRiffins
2005-08-07, 10:01 PM
Elthan

*Before Taern has a chance to give away thier position, Elthan quickly wispers*

"Don't say anything until we know it isn't hostile."

runehawk
2005-08-08, 12:27 AM
Ssathiyaa:
the lizardman nods at elthan and finds a convenient outcropping to hide behind. He crouches to minimise his bulk and hoists a barbed dart.

Toadfish
2005-08-08, 10:28 AM
Graevic

Scimitar and kukri in hand. Graevic slips across the road from Ssathiyaa, Aholoh close to his side.

((OOC: Attempting to hide))

Dr._Bob
2005-08-08, 11:29 AM
The horse stops abruptly. After a moment, there is the sound of someone dismounting.

Through the fog, you now hear the sounds of an approaching horse as well as a pair of feet crunching on gravel.

McMouse
2005-08-08, 11:59 AM
Taern

Taern closes her mouth and crouches down when she hears Ethan (Deux). Frowning, she draws Aercalad and tries to quiet Jako, her horse. She holds her spear ready, prepared to throw if anything "hostile" comes around the corner.

griffon666
2005-08-08, 05:19 PM
Out of the mist, you see the head of a horse and the point of a spear, followed shortly by a cloaked man. Once in open sight, the man takes his cloak off of his head. You automatically recognize him as Elthan.

"I'm glad I found you." Seeing the bewildered look on his friends face: "I had a change of mind. Looking for Sarloc's heir, who we have but clues of his or her wereabouts, if he or she even exists, seemed like a waist of time. Especially since we have much better chances of acomplishing anything by trying to find where Sethra is. Anyway, all that research back at Oden was very enlighting, but hearing about your little encounter reminded me how I love the front row seat of the action. Anyway, you might need my help..." He glances at Elthan II... "Or our help, I should say..." Elthan laughs. "Alright then, we should get going, if we want to catch him before he does anything else.

King_of_GRiffins
2005-08-08, 07:10 PM
Elthan II

*Elthan II breathes a sigh of relief.*

"You gave me a fright there, I had thought you where a hoved fiend of some sort. I'm glad you've decided to come with us, It should make the battles with the real fiends much easier."

(OOC: Just a suggestion on how to speak to a clone. If its your clone, speak as though your family, If there are 2, treat them like two people with the same name. If you need to address them at the same time, "Original, you do blah, Original 2, you do blah blah". I hope that helps the problem, but roleplay as you wish.)

runehawk
2005-08-08, 07:50 PM
Ssathiyaa:
On seeing another magic-user, Ssathiyaa who had a dart hoisted over a shoulder ready to fling, delays bringing his dart down. His face screws up in mild revulsion as the two copies of Elthan stand next to each other.

OOC: HI!! welcome back griffon

Toadfish
2005-08-09, 07:28 AM
Graevic

Seeing that the new comer is Elthan, Graevic steps back into the path, smiling broadly. "I am glad it was you! Glad to have you back with us."

Erikkin
2005-08-09, 09:33 AM
Fizahn:

"OH, so my plan isn't good enough for the high and mighty Elthan? He has to be back here risking his life with us doesn't he?" Fizahn asks jokingly, before warmly extending his hand. "It's good to have you back Elthan. I think it's about time we don't confront Sethra."

*Shifting his gaze to the lizardman, he addresses his next sentence to him.* "Hear me out, lizardman, I'm not saying we shouldn't still kill Sethra. I've been thinking about what the gnolls said, and apparently he already has those huge undead abominations, and more zombies from the gnolls he killed. I think we'll have to use guerrilla tactics, and we should be able to pull it off because we know about the gems. A direct confrontation is suicide, and we have to weaken his forces before we fight him. I'm going to have to say absolutely no battle cries, and from this point on we tread as stealthily as we can."

Belial_the_Leveler
2005-08-09, 11:36 AM
Linda is not very surprised to see Elthan rejoining the team-after all, she has come to love the action. Taern's battlecries uttered at the worst possible moment not so much though. :P

I agree with FIzahn, we need to stay low. Especially until we find how many opponents we're facing. Too bad I'm not so good at stealth.

OOC: I am on vacations. While I'm trying to keep in touch with you ppl here, I might not be able to post as much. If you see me not posting, please NPC Linda until I return, OK?

runehawk
2005-08-09, 01:04 PM
Ssathiyaa:
Ssathiyaa narrows his eyes and in a low tone says in draconic,
'warrior..I NEVER intended to fight claw on claw with him unlesss no other path lay open to uss. Your thought was my thought as well. Knowing the words of the gn-ow-ll, it iss a fair plan... for ..a pinkskin.
He shakes his head but there is no condescension in his body language in contrast to his words.
'The sstrategy you sspeak of us willl be our undoing if we follow it for too long. our pressence will be known, we lose an advantage and the prey if intelligent may be more dangerous to bring down.
You also fail to ssee other dangerss than the abomination'
His brow furrows at the effort of thought,
'He..left a clear path.. to him. A map. ssSo, I do not believe the abomination we faced wass intended to sstop us... and we do not know where ssSEthra iss'
He looks at the others and kneels and begins scratching on the dirt.
''We should spy out approaches and escape routes and not follow the most obvious path as we are bound to be spotted"
He glances at the two wizards and Linda but doesn't actually say how they may help.

He peers at Fizahn intently at the end and without blinking says,.

'I do not scream battlecries , little pinkskin. That advice may be best directed elsewhere' and awaits his reply
OOC: I can't wildshape. Toadfish, how abt you? a recce as a innocuous animal is what druids do best..after all

Dr._Bob
2005-08-09, 01:26 PM
Your numbers have now swelled to eight. You cautiously peer around the next bend and see across a scree plain, a ruined, crumbled tower - presumably the Gray Keep.

It would appear that the tower had collapsed ages ago. Someone (perhaps the gnolls) appears to have reinforced the remaining base of the tower, creating an easily defensible ring of stone, 10 ft high, open to the sky. The main gate seems to have been battered down. It lies open as if inviting you to enter.

All is silent except for the flapping and screeching of the buzzards feeding off of the corpses of a dozen gnolls, lying scattered on the field.

Presumably, the other gnolls lie dead within the ring of stone. There is no sign of any zombie lizardmen. From a distance, there does not appear to be anyone guarding the Gray Keep.

McMouse
2005-08-09, 02:33 PM
"But... how did you get here ahead of us?"

Erikkin
2005-08-09, 08:26 PM
Fizahn:

"Lizard, I dislike battle cries myself, I may use them on occasion, but that doesn't mean I like them. The restriction on battle cries was never meant for you. I know who is likely to give us away with an inconveniently timed battle cry." Fizahn announces to the lizard, indicating Thokk and Taern.

Fizahn fixes Taern with an annoyed glare. "Are you daft? We were here before him, so he got here a little after us, and it would have taken him longer if we hadn't waited for him. He didn't spend valuable sleep time fighting a contingent of gnolls that could easily have been avoided either, and our path would have been easy enough to follow. While the gnoll was leading us, it was on foot, so we couldn't use the speed of our mounts, and his horse can travel faster than our group with my pony in it!" Fizahn gives a small bow, and changes from the exasperated tone to a mocking one. "I hope it all makes sense to you now madame."

King_of_GRiffins
2005-08-09, 09:18 PM
Elthan II

*While Fizahn and the lizardman discuss the unimportance of battle cries, Eltahn loads his crossbow and keeps it in hand.*

"Well, now that we're here, I dont think we will have the element of suprise neccisarry for a stealthy attack. He did lead us here, after all. But it would still be prudent to keep from anounceing ourselves at every turn. As for an escape route, there is probally only one, the front door."

"I would like to suggest an order that we could procede in that would be best if we wish to invoke stealth in our attack as we walk through the corridors of this old castle. Fizahn and Greavic should take the point, as they are the most adept at aproaching other unawares. Lizarrr, err, Lizardman, Taern, you two should go next a fair distant behind. Thokk, your armor is quite noisy and would be best served gaurding the rear, preserving our silence, and preventing an unexpected attack. Linda, I and Elthan shall follow in front of Thokk and behind Taern and.....You know what Lizardman, I dont believe you ever announced your name to us. I would much prefer to call you by your name than refering to you as an 'it'."

Toadfish
2005-08-10, 03:23 PM
Graevic

”Elthan the second, I do not necessarily believe we’ve lost ability to use stealth. The gnolls appeared to be leaving the keep, not heading into it, so whose to say that they are missed. I believe we should maintain out stealthy approach until we’ve proven that our presence is known. Perhaps..” Graevic points at the lizardman ”..or I can scout the keep some. Aholoh might be a better choice, since he is more innocuous that we. As for your proposed formation, I agree.”

((Runehawk, Graevic is actually a ranger, not a druid. I could send Aholoh in to recce if necessary))

Dr._Bob
2005-08-10, 11:28 PM
The Gray Keep (or what is left of it) lies in the middle of a flat gravel plain. There is no cover in a 200 yard radius around the circular stone wall that is all that is left of Sethra's old stronghold. The gravel will make it difficult to approach the Keep silently, but on the other hand, there really doesn't seem to be anyone around keeping watch.

The flat plain is surrounded by large rocks. Your party is huddled behind one of them. A number of paths apparently lead toward the Gray Keep, but the gnoll (who presumably fled down one of those other paths) led you to a position relatively close to the main gate, which remains wide open, its doors having been battered down (presumably by Sethra's zombies).

Mist drifts across the field as the buzzards continue to feast of the bodies of the dozen dead gnolls.

You continue to debate your next course of action in whispers, though it is not clear that there is anyone or anything left alive out there to hear your words ...

McMouse
2005-08-11, 11:24 AM
Taern

Taern blushes furiously at Fizhan's owrds, then remains silent for the remainder of the discussion on the plan of action.

Toadfish
2005-08-11, 01:39 PM
Graevic

"Given the bleak terrain, I don't think we would be able to easily sneak up to the gates. We could send Aholoh to see, but Sethra may, if he's even in there, recognize Aholoh from what he saw in my mind and know we are here. Anyone have any ideas? I am not too keen on just walking up to the gates, but that may be our only option."

griffon666
2005-08-12, 12:22 AM
Elthan:

"Hmmm.... It's true that a stealthy aproach does not seem possible in these conditions. But what other option do we have? You want to siege, in his own fort, an evil and powerful necromancer who's been deprived from unleashing chaos for many hundred years? I think that, even if he isn't back to his former power, he can take care of us without a sweat. He surly got an assortement of trinkets at his side, waiting for an excuse to use them. Charging in might be better, he won't have time to prepare, but we can't win against him that way either. We were lucky last time, he didn't expect it, but if we fight him head to head again, it's likely to be the last thing we do."

"Never the less, we can't back down from this. I still think we should try for a stealthy aproach. We might not be at our advantage here, but he can't be looking down every window all the time. He's more likely to be occupied by something else, like preparing to search for Sarloc's Heir. We still might be able to sneak in and catch him off-guard. Anyway, whatever you choose, I'm still in."

Erikkin
2005-08-12, 08:49 AM
Fizahn:

Fizahn warily surveys the surroundings, especially lingering on the gnoll corpses before offering a suggestion, "Those gnoll corpses are really unnerving. I think one of you magic users should check for signs of necromancy. If you can't check from here, I could try shooting one..."

*Fizahn starts loading his crossbow while waiting for a reply.*

Dr._Bob
2005-08-12, 12:02 PM
Linda peers around the rock, scanning the area carefully. She detects no magical auras from the dead gnolls. They appear to be "conventionally" dead. There is still no sign of activity from the Keep.

As you wait and watch, the temperature begins to drop. The lizardman barely suppresses a shiver. The mist thickens into a fog until you can barely make out the outline of the Gray Keep. A light drizzle begins to fall.

The sky begins to darken, reminding you that the sun will set in just a matter of a couple of hours ...

runehawk
2005-08-13, 09:19 AM
Ssathiyaa

Ssathiyaa had been rubbing his chin in hand while looking at Aholoh, when Elthan II spoke to him. He turned away from an Aholoh who was looking at him distrustfully to look at Elthan II before glancing away and keeping his gaze from him. His unease over the clone was so clear it couldn't be masked.
In draconic,
'A name iss part of one'ss being among the people. It would be sshameful for a lizardkin to walk alongsside pinksskinss as equalss but to give one'sss name would be to embrace you.. a pinksskin.. and .. copy of a magic-usser as ...'

His face srews up at the mention of the word magic user. His head flinches to one side, his eyes closed in shame before he can control himself. He quickly recovers and looks at Elthan II full in the face. The hissing and tone betraying his controlled anger.
' Call me lizard. Call me what you wish. It matters to me not'. He barely suppresses a shiver at the growing cold and clenches his clawed fists and snarls softly at his show of weakness.

He pushes past the magic user but pauses as he is about to pass Fizahn, Thokk and Taern. Looking thoughtful, he mentions in a low voice ,"Dru-id, my kin called me, in honor" and stalks off to do a perimeter check.

He beckons Graevic over and alone to him says,"Your creature, ground-diggerr iss. More than one,do beastss build, wayss into..lairs. Seek the lay, below ground, your badger can.sSeek My beast-mate I go to now "
Ssathiyaa hoped that his common was clear to Graevic. While his time spent with the party taught him more about common and the warmblooded pinkskins, it remained difficult to think in pinkskin speech and speak it.

OOC: Hey graevic, just think that instead of risking Aholoh scouting on the surface he could scout the surroundings underground.I'm willing to expend spells to call more digging beasts or flying beast if i can to help but my empathy will be poor so you might have to charm them or handle them.
King_of_Griffon. hey sorryabout the way my char chewed your head off. lizardfolk hate magic kinda like dwarfs. except the latter don't kill and eat you on sight. Besides he still hasn't bonded with the party yet. you're still somewhere between animals and lizardkin to him.. but he knows you're all dangerous.Don't worry..maybe if you save his life or something he'll be warmer but you're not just a wizard.. but a magical copy of one and i'm a druid. My char probably thinks your char's almost an abomination to nature.. ;D.. or something along those lines..crap..we have 3 wizards?.. so 3 level 3 fireballs are 15d6?... :o..we might have to scrape sethra of the flagstones once we're done with him.

Incidentally, Sethra caries a powerful magic item a fire opal i think. you could detect him by detecting it. Of coure being an experienced magic user. He'd detect the detect magic spell and respond..so it's tricky but it's one way to track him.. and destroying the artifact would be key to making the odds favourable so a knowled

Belial_the_Leveler
2005-08-13, 05:16 PM
I don't like this place. Call me a coward but I don't think we should stay in the open. Graevic, was it a night that Sethra attacked the keep? I'm curious. You see, we only met Sethra's undead lackeys during the night so...

OOC: I'm afraid not. 3 lvl 6 fireballs (we've got sorcerers, not wizards) are 3x 6d6. Each fireball is an average of 18 damage. A resist elements at high enough caster level offers fire resistance 20. That's 20 points off each attack according to the upgraded rules of the MM.
As for the Opal, if it is a greater artifact, even Mystra can't destroy it without a Disjunction or by fulfilling a special condition.

King_of_GRiffins
2005-08-13, 05:48 PM
Eltahn II

*Elthan, not entirly sure why the lizardman is being so agressive, simply brushes off the thought.*

"Very well, if Lizard you wish to be called, then Lizard you shall be called."
"Now, I have no objection to a stealthy attack, but I am not up to standing out here in the cold for hours on end just to gain a few second advantage. As Elthan said, Sethra can't be looking down every window all the time. Lets just walk in and be stealthy from there on."

(OOC: hey hey, no problem runehawk, I enjoy good roleplaying. And we really cant just stand there all the time. He's likelier to notice us loitering behind a rock than standing in the front hallway.)

McMouse
2005-08-14, 02:38 PM
Taern Torminson

Taern frown, looking deeply worried. She maintains her crouched position behind the rock, but sneaks glances of the forboding keep whenever possible. She also looks uneasily at the corpses of the gnolls, muttering something about burning them for good luck. Finally, she adresses the party in a loud, worried whisper.

"I do not like this at all, guys. It feels as though we are walking into the jaws of a beast. I cannot shake this feeling of great forboding, as though this is all part of a plan that someone is setting up. I think that a direct, if stealthy, assault would be not good. I'm afraid we'd have to fight through lavers of Sethra's minions and magic-creatures only to get destroyed when he comes to investigate the commotion. We must find some way of entering completely undetected."

Toadfish
2005-08-15, 08:17 AM
Graevic

"My friends, I am prepared to enact any plan we decide, but decide we must. The longer we wait, the more prepared Sethra might be. Or, worse yet, the further away he might be, leaving a a cold trail, that gets colder the longer we wait. The darkness can be our friend, to give us some cover while we approach the keep."

((Sorry for the late response. Got tied up a bit this weekend. Like I said, I'm game for whatever, but I get the feeling we need to act quickly or DR is going to start throwing baddies at us until we move. :) ))

Dr._Bob
2005-08-15, 01:51 PM
The lizardman, who had been crouched behind a large rock, returns with news.

He reports that there appears to be no activity outside of the crumbled walls of the Gray Keep. The gnoll corpses appear to be several days old, corroborating the story as told by the captured gnoll warrior.

The gates lie open. Inside the gates lie a score or more additional gnoll corpses. Aside from the birds feasting on their decomposing bodies, all seems still within.

How exactly the lizardman knows this is unclear, but he gives his report with conviction. The mist continues to thicken, dampening your bodies as well as your spirits ...

Dr._Bob
2005-08-16, 12:18 PM
As the fog thickens and daylight begins to fade, Thokk curses. "I've had enough of cowering behind these rocks. I'm going in ..."

Without looking back, Thokk draws his sword and readies his shield. He stomps across the gravel as noisily as he can until he is standing in the gateway.

He pauses for a moment, then plunges inside ...

Erikkin
2005-08-16, 01:29 PM
Fizahn:

"I'm going in too, I agree with the Elthans, and he can't be looking through every window at once. I think we should all find different ways in, and then try to meet up back at the front gate. Thokk chose the front gate, ever so quietly and stealthily, so I guess I'll go somewhere else."

*Fizahn sneaks off toward the right side of the keep, looking for a window he can climb up into, or a gate.*

OOC: Just off the top of my head, I'll check my char sheet and then modify the post, but climb -1, move silently +8.

EDIT: off by 1 each, +0/+9.

Toadfish
2005-08-16, 02:52 PM
Graevic

Graevic moves to follow Thokk, scimitar and kukri in hand. Aholoh watches his master leave, then scuttles off into the woods.

((Go with Thokk. Leaving Aholoh to watch the road/entrance))

Dr._Bob
2005-08-16, 06:44 PM
Graevic follows Thokk's lead, traversing the gravel plain with his weapons drawn and ready. The remains of the Gray Keep loom ever closer in the mist, and soon Graevic is at the main gate. Although he had felt a strange sense of deja vu throughout much of the journey up into the mountains, he realizes as he passes through the gate that this is now uncharted territory.

Fizahn makes his way around to the back of the Keep. The fog obscures his small form as he darts from one point to another, avoiding any decomposing gnoll corpses. The partially collapsed walls of the Gray Keep are easy to climb, fortunately, and with very little effort, the gnome is soon peering over the edge of the wall into the center of the circular base of the ruined tower.

King_of_GRiffins
2005-08-17, 08:47 AM
Elthan II

*Elthan, missing his chance to follow directly behind thokk, follows fizahn and climbs up the same ruined walls*

(OOC: Climb +1, move silently +0)

runehawk
2005-08-17, 02:05 PM
Ssathiyaa:
As he takes a step towards the tower, an instinct tugs at him not too. He furrows his brow in frustraion. Knowing that his goal, his prey possibly lies a short distance away. But he is unable to ignore his instincts.

Sethra wants us to find the tower..
The thought plays over and over in his head.

WHY?
No beast calls a hunter to its lair.

Semuanya. My god. Your visions have led me to the tower. What must i do..

He wanted the pinkskins here. I am the unknown. He has not prepared for me.
As he looks at the other entering the tower a picture of ants falling into an ant-lion's lair forms in his mind.
He looks at the surroundings.We've only viewd the tower. What else is there, here?

He begins to examine the area the tower is located on. This time for any other hidden dangers.

OOC: sorry I'm just delaying my entry and i'd like to see what wilderness lore tells me what a cursory examination of the area didn't. This isn't the perimeter check my char did but me looking at things we ignored because we focused on the tower. so i'm expanding the search area.