PDA

View Full Version : Halfling Caster Builds?

truekender
2010-09-08, 06:13 PM
Does anyone have any builds that are particularly unique?

I'm thinking that a halfling favoured soul could have some serious saving throws and focus on abilities that don't use saves so her/his wisdom can be a dump stat. the FS could spontaneously cast dispel magic, plus she'd have great saves so she'd be the bane of many other casters.

Halfling Favoured Soul 6
28 pointbuy
Str 10
Dex 16
Con 14
Int 10
Wis 8
Cha 17

Fort +11 Ref +12 Will +12
AC: 21 [23] = 10 + 3 (dex) + 4 (armor) + 1 (enhancement) +1 (size) + 2 (shield) + [2 (armor of faith deflection)]

Feats:
1: Lucky
3: Force of Personality
6: Augment Healer

Gold 13 000
Cloak of Resistance +2 = 4000gp
Bag of Tricks, Tan = 6300gp
Chainshirt +1 = 1250gp
Mithral Heavy Shield = 1020gp
Left over gold: 430gp

Alternate class feature: Deity's Favour

Spells known
Orisons (7)
Cure Minor Wounds
Create Water
Detect Magic
Light
Mending
Read Magic
Guidance

1st (5)
Cure Light Wounds
Divine Favor
Shield of Faith
Magic Stone
Obscuring Mist

2nd (4)
Elation
Cure Moderate Wounds
Silence
Cloud of Knives

3rd (3)
Cure Serious Wounds
Dispel Magic
Searing Light

No spells offer saving throws.

Bag of Tricks to summon a strong animal ally into battle

Divine Favor + Magic Stones (halfling an all...) + cloud of knives + searing light to deal damage.

Decent at healing, can actually heal more times per day than a cleric and has augmented healing. Mass minor buff with Elation (for you, allies and animal from bag of tricks). Shield of faith to buff AC.

Dispel Magic and Silence to combat enemy casters.

Defensively a good character, decent at countering other casters, can deal moderate damage, Pretty good healing, hard to effect with spells (GREAT SAVES) and has one minor control spell (obscuring mist).

All in all not a bad considering halflings aren't really meant to play favored souls ^^. I know this isn't optimized, but it's the best I could come up with. Any other halfling caster builds out there?

Glimbur
2010-09-08, 07:20 PM
Force of Personality isn't as nice as it should be. It only lets you use Cha instead of Wis for [mind affecting] spells and abilities. So, it helps against dominate, charm person, suggestion, whatever. It doesn't help against, say, glitterdust, slow, planeshift, or other will saves that aren't mind affecting.

Thurbane
2010-09-08, 09:21 PM
Halfings, with their small size and Dex bonus, are good for ranged attacks...so maybe a ray-focussed Wizard or Sorc, or even a Warmage.

You might even want to combine that with Spellwarp Sniper PrC.

cupkeyk
2010-09-08, 09:41 PM
halflings with small size can use reduce person to gain another +1 to ac and +16 to hide with no speed penalty; and stronghearts gain that sweet bonus feat.

several spells are thrown.

fire seeds, otiluke's freezing sphere in the PHB. Halflings get the +1 when attacking with these. ^_^

Urpriest
2010-09-08, 09:45 PM
I've seen a couple fun halfling thrower-gishes. Not exactly straight caster, but these generally kept decent casting progression, in some cases getting their 9ths.