PDA

View Full Version : Awarding Treasure (D&D 4e)

Forever Curious
2010-09-08, 06:47 PM
Hi again. Within the next week or so I will be running a D&D 4e campaign for a 6 person party. I read through the section of the DMG for awarding loot, but the "parcel system" described doesn't make sense to me for some reason.

Does anyone have any advice on how much/often treasure should be given or can spell out the system so I can understand it?

RebelRogue
2010-09-08, 06:55 PM
Hi again. Within the next week or so I will be running a D&D 4e campaign for a 6 person party. I read through the section of the DMG for awarding loot, but the "parcel system" described doesn't make sense to me for some reason.

Does anyone have any advice on how much/often treasure should be given or can spell out the system so I can understand it?
The parcel system gives you 10 sets of treasure that is appropraite to award a party of 5 players over the course of them gaining a level - there is a set of parcels for each level. So, if you're starting at level 1, the ten level 1 parcels are what you should award them in the time it takes for them to reach level 2. Since you have 6 players, not 5, you need to add a bit of treasure and maybe an extra magic item for each set of parcels.

Edit: just checked: actually, the recommendation is to add a magic item of the party level's +2, i.e. two of treasure parcel #3 instead of one for each sets of parcels/one level gained.

Fuzzie Fuzz
2010-09-08, 07:06 PM
The important info is in the DMG, on pages 125 through 129.

The DMG assumes a 5-person party, so I'll explain that way. Then we can add in the extra stuff for your sixth person later. I'll use Level 1 as an example.

On page 126, under, "Heroic Tier Treasure Parcels," look at the table/box labeled, "Party Level 1." In this box, there are 10 different "parcels." Give out one of each of these over the course of the level. Give out one level 5 magic item, one level 4 item, one level 3, one level 2, one parcel with 200 gp in it, one parcel with 180 gp, etc. These are just suggestions. You can spread them out or lump them together however you want.

Example: over the course of Level 1, your 5-person party fights 10 encounters.
In encounter 1, They get a level 5 magic item [parcel 1] and 200 gp [5]
2) Nothing
3) 130 gp and a Potion of Healing [6]
4) A pearl and 200 sp [8]
5) Nothing
6) A level 2 magic item [4] and 100 gp [9 + 10]
7) Nothing
8) A level 4 magic item [2]
9) A level 3 magic item [3] and 120 gp [7]
10) Nothing

Let your party split the above up as they wish.

Then, since you have 6 PCs instead of 5, just add another level 3 (level +2) magic item in there as well.

Did I explain it well enough?

(Also, this assumes you keep the party at the same level, which I recommend anyways for 4e.)

Forever Curious
2010-09-08, 07:10 PM
Awesome Info

That pretty much explains it. Thanks much!

Fuzzie Fuzz
2010-09-08, 07:12 PM
Glad I could help. Good luck! :smallbiggrin: