PDA

View Full Version : Into the East [closed]



Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

Nyna
2005-03-14, 12:52 PM
Sheyra

"I can understand your concerns with my past... However, I really don't know any of you yet, and it is something I would rather not speak of for the time being. Please, you must trust me on this matter, I have done nothing to offend the Mulhorandi other than living in the country that they invaded!" Sheyra says the last in a more forceful manner than her usual manner of speech, something she rarely does, and folds her arms, making it obvious that she'll say no more on the matter.

Rodrick_the_Red
2005-03-14, 04:59 PM
Sedryn (Human Cleric)

"Sheyra, Please do not be upset with us, we do not mean to pry, but any information could be helpful in protecting you and getting you to your destination. As to hardly knowing us there is truth in that for all of us. Let me tell everyone a little about myself. I grew up in a city, the fourth son of a prosperous and pious family. I joined the preisthood of Lathander as my father wished. Serving the temple, and tending to the cities sick and poor was very rewarding, but I began to wonder if I should go out in the world and bring the blessings of Lathander to other people and places. When the High Priest asked for a volunteer for a mission for the Order, I jumped at the chance. As is the habit of High Priests their instructions are not always clear. Mine said, 'I would know the mission when I saw it.' I am still trying to understand my directions. While traveling I stopped at an inn met my fellow cabin mates and was sent on a small errand to retrieve some stolen property. That is my story whose story shall we hear next?" Sedryn asks.

rainbowvet
2005-03-14, 05:15 PM
Boris, Human Ranger/Wizard

"You are right Lithandril, I have been pretty mum about my background. I was raised on the edge of a forest, my father was a warden. I have always had an affinity for nature and my father nurished and encouraged it. Unfortunately, when I was younger my family was beset by a group of ruffians. They killed my family and would have done the same to me if not for a group of elves that saved my life. The elves gave me a home and protected me. They further strengthened my hunting talents. It was also from them that I was introduced to the art."

"After a time, I decided I had to leave my forest home. I made it my mission to track down those responsible for my family's death. I have reason to believe that the original ring leader is now part of the Shadowtheives in Telflamm. That is why I journey there."

"If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask, I have nothing to hide."

Dr._Bob
2005-03-14, 11:41 PM
Angela, Tiriel, and Si'rene briefly tell you a little more about themselves as well. All three live in Velprintalar, travelling about the East on occasion seeking adventure. Tiriel provides the muscle. Si'rene is an excellent archer as well as natural spellcaster. Angela is a "jack of all trades" and the "face" of the trio. As they mentioned before, they had travelled to the West to check out the fabled vinyards of the Vilhon Reach, but are now on their way home from their little "vacation".

Angela points out that there were a few other people in the mess hall who might have seen Sheyra and observed her talking to your group. Given the absence of any other young girls (or teens) on the ship, any person who had a chance to see Sheyra alive after the battle with the Mulhorandi could conceivably have come to the same realization as each of you did.

Angela also counsels against getting the captain involved. "The more people who are aware of Sheyra's situation, the more dangerous it becomes for her." On the other hand, if there is information the captain might have that would be helpful, perhaps it can be obtained without having to explicitly explain that Sheyra is alive.


OOC: Nice roleplaying everyone! I like how you are working your backgrounds into the conversation.

Lithandrill
2005-03-15, 12:35 AM
Lithandrill

*Lithandrill smiles as he listens to everyones story.*

"Well, now I know your stories it is only fair that I tell you mine in turn. I am the son of a short but fiery relation ship between a human knight and a half elf."

*Lithandrill ponders for a moment*

"Half elf half dragon that is, so i guess that would make me a quarter dragon. But as you can see my elven nor draconic bloodline shows itself on the outside. My father was killed in a battle with Eranox the Warmhearted a red dragon of questionable allignment. My mother tried to instruct me in the arts of the arcane, but some time later the dragon returned to my mother and me and gave me my fathers battle gear as if trying to show me that I should follow the path of a Knight. That encounter gave me the name Elanor, He who is blessed by Dragons. After that I became I knight but the life of a paladin didn't suit me thus I ran of to become the rogue knight I am now. In my search for the Dragon who blessed me I ended up in the tavern where I met my compa.....friends here. Well thats me for you."

Frojoe21
2005-03-15, 02:57 AM
Aeroz, Elf Expert

Aeroz waits for everyone to finish their story before beginning his.

" I grew up in Calimport. My parents were wizards of some renown and during some experiment when I was a child, I was hit with some nasty amnesia. I spent the next 20 years in a small time theives guild and then when my memory came back, I went back to my parents. They kept pushing me to become a wizard, and I spent another years with them before I left. I went to a nearby tavern, crawled down a whiskey bottle and was stuck there ever since"

Aeroz takes a deep sigh.

[Sorry, had to work that Blazing Saddles quote in there somewhere. I based some elements of the back story off of the Wacko Kid's character. Man that was a funny movie.

Dr._Bob
2005-03-15, 10:44 PM
As the sun sets, no decision has been made on how exactly to handle the requested midnight rendezvous.

Angela, Si'rene, and Tiriel offer their assistance, but the actual decision is going to be left to the rest of you.

They do make several suggestions however, including:

(1) Ignore the note

(2) Get to the bilge early and set up an ambush (Si'rene's idea)

(3) Confront the person in force and attempt to intimidate him or her

(4) Simply see what the person wants

rainbowvet
2005-03-15, 11:09 PM
Boris, Human Ranger/Wizard

"I think our best plan is a combination of these options. I think we sould scout out the meeting area. Before the appointed time, those of us skilled at hiding can preposition ourselves. Then Lilthandrill can meet our mysterious author. He can find out his demands. If the situation gets dicey, then we can aid Lithandril. Or at least one of may be able to follow him to his cabin to continue the 'conversation' if needed or find out if he is in league with anyone else"

Lithandrill
2005-03-16, 12:37 AM
Lithandrill

"Sounds like a plan, I won't be much help sneaking around anyway. And if need be I we can always subdue our Stalker."

*Lithandrill losens his sword in his sheath.*

"Who will stay behind and make sure that Sheyra isn't sneaked away behind our back while we are away?"

Rodrick_the_Red
2005-03-16, 11:10 AM
Sedryn (Human Cleric)

"I will be happy to stay with Sherya." says Sedryn.

rainbowvet
2005-03-16, 01:11 PM
Boris, Human Ranger/Wizard

"Very well, I suggest we go investigate the bilge to get an idea of the tactical layout"

Dr._Bob
2005-03-16, 06:45 PM
Boris, Aeroz, and Lithandrill head out to scout out the lower levels of the ship.

You make their way through the cargo section, then down through the slave galleys, where there are three tiers of slaves pulling at their oars, adding their strength to the wind in the ship's sails. The slaves steal sidelong glances at the three of you, but say nothing under the eyes of the oarmasters. These sections are mostly open to the sky, so there is plenty of light here amidships.

Below a trapdoor, a narrow staircase leads down into the bilge, the lowest level of the ship.

The bilge is dark, damp, and rat-infested. You can hear squeaking and skittering as the rats flee from the light when you open the trapdoor.

There is no real "floor" here. The sides of the ship meet the keel in a "V" shape. Two narrow catwalks (only three planks wide) run the length of the ship, one along the port wall, the other along the starboard wall. In between the catwalks is water, probably one or two feet deep, that has unavoidably leaked into the ship. At 20 foot intervals, single planks (6 inches wide) run from one side of the ship to the other. The overall effect is like a "ladder" laying flat and running from the bow to the stern.

You've entered close to the rear/stern of the ship. It appears that there is another stairway all the way at the other end of the ship. There are also a smattering of hatches in the ceiling of the bilge, meaning that there are probably too many possibly entrypoints/exits for you to cover all of them.

There are also no really good hiding places, unless someone is willing to get off of the catwalks and crouch in the water.

rainbowvet
2005-03-16, 08:33 PM
((OOC: Do the stair cases offer a hiding place?))

Dr._Bob
2005-03-16, 10:59 PM
OOC: One or two people could hide behind each staircase. Though they would be visible to someone actually on the staircase, they would be hidden/concealed from people elsewhere in the bilge.

rainbowvet
2005-03-17, 10:39 AM
Boris, Human Ranger/Wizard

"Well, there doesn't appear to be any great hiding places. Bad for our original plan, but at least we don't have to worry about an ambush. A stealthy person can hide behind the stairs and the others can meet with the contact. Aeroz, I think amongst us, you are the most adept at hiding."

Dr._Bob
2005-03-17, 11:52 PM
Aeroz takes his place under the stairs a couple of hours before midnight, his crossbow loaded and held ready. Tiriel, Angela, and Si'rene agree to stay out of sight on the level above the bilge, ready to appear if called for. Boris and Lithandrill descend the stairs at midnight for their rendezvous.

The entire lower deck area is pitch black. Boris and Lithandrill stand, each holding a torch, peering into the darkness of the bilge. Again, they can hear squeaking and skittering, closer now than in the daytime. The rats seem to be staying just out of the reach of the torchlight.

An occasional drip echoes in the silence. The ship groans gently.

...

Meanwhile, Sheyra and Sedryn wait in their cabin, talking softly. A few minutes after midnight they hear footsteps outside their door, then three crisp knocks ... bang, bang, bang

Nyna
2005-03-18, 09:17 AM
Sheyra

Sheyra flinches slightly, startled at the knock at the door. She quietly stands up (I assume we were sitting), slipping into a loose fighting stance, while whispering to Sedryn, "You don't think they're back already, do you?" She looks a little nervous, but no fear shows on her features. All of her attention is focused on the door.

Lithandrill
2005-03-18, 11:30 AM
Lithandrill

*Lithandrill is getting quite nervous and slightly paranoid of the moaning ship, the strange letter and the person they have to meet.*

"He's not coming.....You know that if this is a trap we fell for it with open eyes......"

*Lithandrill draws his sword, and notices at once that using a 5 foot blade in a confined space isn't all that great.*

"He's not coming....Its a trap......"

Rodrick_the_Red
2005-03-18, 11:44 AM
Sedryn (Human Cleric)

"No, I don't think so I think the meeting was a trick. Let's be quiet and hold ourselves ready and let them make the first move." Sedryn says quietly, then casts bless as softly as possible, after that he will ready himself to cast a spell when the door is opened.

rainbowvet
2005-03-18, 01:02 PM
Boris, Human, Ranger/Wizard

((OOC: Very sneaky, D.R. I fell for it hook, line, and sinker))

Boris' stomach clenches and his voice is almost caught in his throat when he hears Lithandrall's words. So obvious, how could I have been so easily fooled.

"If you are right, then both Sedryn and Sherya are in mortal danger. We had better hurry to them."

Boris calls out to the others, "It's a rouse, get back to the cabin"

Lithandrill
2005-03-18, 01:56 PM
((I wasn't really fooled to be honest. Lithandrill however was.))

Lithandrill

*Boris' conformation of his fears is enough for Lithandrill to burst up the stairs and dash as fast as he can towards their cabin.*

"By Tempus this blade will taste blood today. Seas of BLOOD!"

Dr._Bob
2005-03-18, 03:16 PM
Sedryn blesses himself and Sheyra, and both stand facing the door, alert but calm.

"Sprekta!" The bolt slides to the side and the cabin door swings open, untouched by anyone's hands.

The hallway is dark, but the cabin's lantern is lit. Illuminated in the room's doorway are three individuals dressed all in black, their faces covered. This surprises Sedryn and Sheyra, since they had heard only one set of footsteps approach the door originally.

The first two figures carry bared shortswords. The third figure stands behind them, carrying no weapons.

The figure in the back hisses, "Kill the man. Take the girl alive."



OOC: Aeroz, Lithandrill, and Boris are on their way but won't arrive for at least 4 or 5 rounds.

Rodrick_the_Red
2005-03-18, 06:21 PM
Sedryn (Human Cleric)


The hallway is dark, but the cabin's lantern is lit. Illuminated in the room's doorway are three individuals dressed all in black, their faces covered. This surprises Sedryn and Sheyra, since they had heard only one set of footsteps approach the door originally.

The first two figures carry bared shortswords. The third figure stands behind them, carrying no weapons.

The figure in the back hisses, "Kill the man. Take the girl alive."

Sedryn steps back 5' defensivly casts his readied spell Heat Metal ( DC 17 ) on the three men as they enter the cabin. "Lathander send the suns heat against our foes!"

{OOC - Bless grants Sedryn and Sheyra gain a +1 morale bonus on attack rolls and on saving throws against fear effects.

Iniative +1
Concentration +7

Heat Metal - Will DC 14

Round Metal Temperature Damage
1 Warm None
2 Hot 1d4 points
35 Searing 2d4 points
6 Hot 1d4 points
7 Warm None}

Lithandrill
2005-03-19, 09:54 AM
Lithandrill

*As lithandrill bursts down the hall he makes a big point of making as much of an uproar as possible without losing time. He knock on doors and the entire trips keeps up a draconic battle chant.*

"If only we are not to late...."

Dr._Bob
2005-03-19, 10:36 AM
As Lithandrill, Boris, and Aeroz charge back towards the cabin, they make as much of an uproar as possible. Behind them sleepy people poke their heads out of doorways wondering what is going on. Angela, Si'rene, and Tiriel follow only a few steps behind, "What's going on? What do you mean, a ruse?"

...

The masked men burst into the room, and immediately assault Sedryn. Thankfully, he had been prepared for the unexpected and is fully armored. His plate mail takes the brunt of their attacks, but one thrust finds its way into a weak spot. Sedryn gasps from the pain.

He steps back and casts heat metal, but the rogues immediately close and keep the pressure on. Again, Sedryn's armor preserves his life, but it is impossible for him to prevent all of their thrusts from drawing blood.

The third figure points two fingers at Sedryn and cries out, craikka! Two bolts of light strike Sedryn in the chest. Sedryn stumbles backward under the onslaught of steel and sorcery, but still attempts to shield Sheyra with his body.


OOC: Please refer to OOC thread for combat report.

rainbowvet
2005-03-19, 12:05 PM
Boris

Stupid, stupid, stupid. I only hope we are wrong. If we are correct, I hope we are not too late.

Boris runs with all his might, spiked chain grasped firmly in his hands.

Rodrick_the_Red
2005-03-19, 12:40 PM
Sedryn (Human Cleric)

Sedryn will retreat another 5' step and tries to position himself so he can't be flanked. Then he casts defensively (DC 17) Cure Moderate Wounds, dumping Lesser Restoration. "Lathander Heal my wounds that I might smite your enemies!"

They should be dropping their weapons about now, Sedryn hopes.

{OOC - OUCH!!

Bless grants Sedryn and Sheyra gain a +1 morale bonus on attack rolls and on saving throws against fear effects.

Heat Metal
Round Metal Temperature Damage
1 Warm None
2 Hot 1d4 points
35 Searing 2d4 points
6 Hot 1d4 points
7 Warm None

Concentration +7

Cure Moderate Wounds - 2d8+3

Renewal Domain Benefit:
If HP falls below 0 then, regain 1d8 + CHA mod (+1) 1/day

Man, I Hate my connection! >:( I had everything ready to go then the connection dropped and I had to do it all over again.}

Nyna
2005-03-19, 03:21 PM
Sheyra

Sheyra ignores the rogues, immediately going for the one who appears to be leading them. She tumbles past the rogues towards the sorcerer and will attack him. "Why won't you Mulhorandi leave me be!?"

(OOC: Tumble +4, Dodge assigned on the closest rogue to Sheyra, Mobility used if AoO'ed)

Dr._Bob
2005-03-19, 05:54 PM
Sedryn concentrates, focusing and channeling Lathander's divine energy, until it is almost as if he had never been injured in the first place. But the respite is short lived. The rogues close in again, thrusting mercilessly. With pleasure, Sedryn notes that beads of sweat have appeared on their foreheads, and steam is beginning to rise from the hilts of their shortswords. Nevertheless, their combined attacks find new openings in his armor - one thrust pierces his chest, just an inch from his heart.

To Sedryn's (and the attackers') surprise, rather than cowering up against the wall (as one might assume a defenseless child might), Sheyra plunges into the fray. She nimbly dodges around and in between the two rogues, dives to the ground in a forward tumble, then springs up and plants a spinning heel kick right into the sorceror's solar plexus. The man grunts in surprise, barely keeping his feet. Gasping and unable to cast another spell, he instead draws a dagger from his waist and slashes at Sheyra, but she has already spun away and he hits nothing but air.

OOC: We are halfway through round 3. Lithandrill, Boris, et al. should be arriving in a couple more rounds ...

Rodrick_the_Red
2005-03-20, 12:17 AM
Sedryn (Human Cleric)

Well the little pixie can look after herself! We might just live long enough for the others to arrive. Sedryn reflects. "That's it Sherya keep him busy, I got these two!" encourages Sedryn.

Sedryn will shift another 5' step if possible and continues to position himself so he can't be flanked. Then he casts defensively (DC 16) Cure Light Wounds, dumping Protection from Evil. "Lathander Heal my wounds that I might smite your enemies!"

How long are they going to be able to hold those weapons? Sedryn wonders.

{OOC -
Bless grants Sedryn and Sheyra gain a +1 morale bonus on attack rolls and on saving throws against fear effects.

Heat Metal
Round Metal Temperature Damage
1 Warm None
2 Hot 1d4 points
35 Searing 2d4 points
6 Hot 1d4 points
7 Warm None

Concentration +7

Cure Light Wounds - 1d8+3

Renewal Domain Benefit:
If HP falls below 0 then, regain 1d8 + CHA mod (+1) 1/day

Let's stick with an effective strategy! Maybe their arms will fall off from hitting me. :P}

Nyna
2005-03-20, 01:37 PM
Sheyra, Human Monk

The girl twists, easily avoiding the sorcerer's slash, spinning out of the way of the attack. Using the momentum from her spin, she twirls about on one foot gracefully, extending her other leg and whipping it out twice in quick succession as she turns about. She suddenly cuts her momentum after her attacks, facing the sorcerer while standing on one leg, easily maintaining her balance and ready to leap, roll, or twist away from any attack headed her way.

(OOC: Flurry of Blows, +1/+1, +1 added due to bless, Dodge target reassigned to sorcerer)

Dr._Bob
2005-03-21, 01:27 AM
Sedryn retreats once more and again concentrates on healing his wounds. The rogues close in, cornering Sedryn against the wall, and thrust mercilessly, but (thanks be to Lathander) their swords glance off of his armor. He can hear (and smell) their palms sizzle as the hilts of their shortswords heat up. Finally, they can take it no longer and are forced to drop their weapons. Sedryn notes with satisfaction their beet-red blistered hands.

The sorceror ducks Sheyra's first kick, but she nails him in the temple with her second. His head snaps around, and a trickle of blood runs down the side of his face from the laceration Sheyra has opened on his skull. His eyes narrow, "You bitch!" He backpedals out of the room. "Forget the priest! Get the girl!"

From the deck below, you hear Lithandrill bellowing as he runs. The "cavalry" is almost here ...

Nyna
2005-03-21, 09:30 AM
Sheyra, Human Monk

Sheyra smiles as her blow connects and watches as the man backpedals out of the room. She pushes off of her one foot into a quick charge, dashing at the man and leaping into the air, lashing out at the man with her flying knee strike. "Don't even try to outrun me! I won't let you Mulhorandi escape, not after what you did to my country!" Turning the pain of losing her escorts and country into anger, she unleashes her fury upon the injured sorcerer with a cry of rage.

(Charging, +2 to attack rolls, -2 to AC)
(Dodge: +1 to AC vs. attacks from sorcerer)
(Bless, grants +1 morale bonus to attack rolls and saving throws vs. fear effects)
(Unarmed Attack, +5, 1d6 damage)

Rodrick_the_Red
2005-03-21, 11:28 AM
Sedryn (Human Cleric)

Now we've got them! Sedryn thinks as he watches the swords hit the deck. Hefting his mace Sedryn shouts as he attaches the nearest rogue, "Surrender or feel Lathander's wrath!" Sedryn raises his mace and smashes it down on the rogue.

{OOC -

Heavy Mace +3 1d8

Intimidate +1

Bless grants Sedryn and Sheyra gain a +1 morale bonus on attack rolls and on saving throws against fear effects.

Heat Metal
Round Metal Temperature Damage
1 Warm None
2 Hot 1d4 points
35 Searing 2d4 points
6 Hot 1d4 points
7 Warm None

Renewal Domain Benefit:
If HP falls below 0 then, regain 1d8 + CHA mod (+1) 1/day}

Dr._Bob
2005-03-21, 11:31 PM
The rogue avoids Sedryn's blow, but in the face of his wrath (and perhaps demoralized by Sedryn's show of divine power) the two rogues beat a hasty retreat.

Meanwhile, Sheyra pursues the sorceror, who now seems to be in full flight. She catches him in the back with her flying knee, and he stumbles forward. Catching his balance, he scrambles away from her, narrowly avoiding a follow up crescent kick, then turns and throws a handful of fine sand into her face, saying simply, "Sleep."

Sheyra slumps to the deck, eyes closed. The two rogues, fleeing from Sedryn, pause for a moment to lift her. In a second, her small form is thown over the shoulder of the larger rogue. The smaller rogue turns and draws a small hand crossbow to block any pursuit.

Lithandrill, Boris, and Aeroz finally turn the last corner and find themselves 50 ft from the cabin. The smaller rogue is another 20 ft farther down the hallway, covering his compatriots' retreat.

rainbowvet
2005-03-21, 11:50 PM
Boris, Human Ranger/Wizard

Our fears were correct, this was a ruse. If they have the girl, we must stop them.
Boris makes a charge attack at the rouge with his spiked chain.

Iniative +2
To hit: +6
Damage: 2d4 +2


((OOC: The rouge is 70', charge should cover 60', plus spiked chain has 10' reach. I think that is correct))

Nyna
2005-03-21, 11:57 PM
Sheyra, Human Monk- Asleep

Sheyra easily runs the sorcerer down and connects with her knee, then takes advantage of his lapse in defense to let loose another kick, which the sorcerer manages to avoid. As her leg comes down and she begins to move again, getting ready to make another attack, the sorcerer's sand hits her in the face. She coughs and shudders a little, resisting the effect, but is unable to do so and collapses to the ground from the spell.

(OOC: Blech, hate sleep...)
(Bless: grants a +1 morale bonus to attack rolls and saves vs. fear effects)

Lithandrill
2005-03-22, 12:56 AM
Lithandrill

*As soon as Lithandrill spots the rogue pick up the girl how makes for a persuit*

"Believe me O' wretched dogs, as soon as I get to you, I will put Bane himself at shame with the ruthless slaughter I will bring to you."

((OOC: I will chase after the Rogue at full speed 120ft if I am not mistaking. Well atleast one positive thing about not wearing armour on this boat.
Init +1
Intimidate +6 unless you allow to use my strength mod for it in which case it is +9))

Rodrick_the_Red
2005-03-22, 09:47 AM
Sedryn (Human Cleric)

Sedryn quickly runs to the door of the cabin and looks down the hall. Chanting "By Lathander I am a friend to all." cast Charm Person on the rogue carring Sheyra. Then he says "No, this way we can hide her in here!" motioning to the cabin.

{OOC - Question: Is the spring of the hand crossbow metal? If so wouldn't it have burned through the bow string?

Charm Person - Will DC 13

Bless grants Sedryn and Sheyra gain a +1 morale bonus on attack rolls and on saving throws against fear effects.

Heat Metal
Round Metal Temperature Damage
1 Warm None
2 Hot 1d4 points
35 Searing 2d4 points
6 Hot 1d4 points
7 Warm None

Renewal Domain Benefit:
If HP falls below 0 then, regain 1d8 + CHA mod (+1) 1/day}

Dr._Bob
2005-03-22, 11:33 PM
Although the larger rogue is already well down the hallway, he hesitates when Sedryn calls to him. He seems almost prepared to turn back toward the cabin, but then he sees Boris charge toward the smaller rogue, his chain whistling as he whirls it overhead ...

Boris closes in on the smaller rogue as he is drawing his hand crossbow. Before the rogue can raise his hand to fire, Boris' chain slashes him across the upper arm. The rogue steps back and fires at point blank range, striking Boris square in the chest. The bolt unexpectedly ricochets off of Boris' chest with a metallic "ping". A small tear in his shirt reveals shiny metal underneath. The rogue drops his crossbow and draws a small dagger from a boot sheath, wincing at the hot metal.

Seeing Boris attack, the larger rogue shakes off the effects of Sedryn's spell and continues to flee with Sheyra on his back, following the sorceror who is already on the stairs on his way to the surface.

Lithandrill sprints past the smaller rogue, who manages to slice him in the side as he runs past. Heedless of the injury, Lithandrill closes in on the rogue carrying Sheyra.

Aeroz curses, his crossbow raised. He can not get a clean shot at either rogue because of Boris and Lithandrill.

Rodrick_the_Red
2005-03-23, 12:03 AM
Sedryn (Human Cleric)

Now they get here! Just a couple of seconds longer... ah never mind. Sedryn muses.

Sedryn advances the 20' to the smaller rogue and attacks, saying to Boris, "I'll take this one, you're faster help Lithandrill case down the other two!"

{OOC -

Heavy Mace +3 Attack, 1d8 Damage

Bless grants Sedryn and Sheyra gain a +1 morale bonus on attack rolls and on saving throws against fear effects.

Heat Metal
Round Metal Temperature Damage
1 Warm None
2 Hot 1d4 points
35 Searing 2d4 points
6 Hot 1d4 points
7 Warm None

Renewal Domain Benefit:
If HP falls below 0 then, regain 1d8 + CHA mod (+1) 1/day}

Lithandrill
2005-03-23, 12:05 AM
Lithandrill

*Seeing that he can't attack the rogue without being sure that we won't hit Sheyra he slashes away at the legs of the running rogue with the dull side of his blade.*

((Trip: Melee touch attack 7 + 2 Strength bonus +3 Charge -2 ac +2 to hit.))

rainbowvet
2005-03-23, 08:38 PM
Boris Human Ranger/Wizard

"Just try to keep him alive, we may need information"

Heeding Sedryn's advice, Boris uses is acrobatic ability to move past the rouge and attempts to chase down the rouge with Sherya. If he can get close enough, within 10', he will attempt a trip attack with his spiked chain. If already tripped due to Lithandrill's attack will then attack with spiked chain.

Tumble: +5
Trip (touch attack): +5

Dr._Bob
2005-03-24, 01:20 AM
Sedryn steps into the hallway and smashes the smaller rogue with his mace. The rogue is knocked into the hallway wall, allowing Boris to dash past towards the rogue carrying Sheyra.

The smaller rogue, desperate, tries to grab a hold of Sedryn's mace with one hand and plunges his dagger into Sedryn's forearm with the other.

Lithandrill's gambit works, and he is able to knock the larger rogue's feet out from under him. The rogue tumbles forward but manages to roll to his feet. Sheyra's inert body thumps to the floor; she moans and begins to wake. The larger rogue hesitates, considering whether he should pick her back up, but when he looks up and sees the look in Lithandrill's eyes, he decides to leave Sheyra behind and continues to flee up the staircase.

Behind Aeroz, Angela, Tiriel, and Si'rene arrive on the scene, ready to fight.

Lithandrill
2005-03-24, 08:07 AM
Lithandrill

"Flee, flee do the deepest realms of the nine hells. One day I will come across that ugly mug of you and give you that pain that I promised."

*Lithandrill takes a small step in a protecting position before Sheyra and in one fluid motion drops his sword and grabs his bow to fire an arrow at the fleeing rogues.*


((5 ft step to Sheyra, free action
draw my long bow, Move action
One ranged attack, Standard action +4 to hit 1d8 + 3 damage.))

Rodrick_the_Red
2005-03-24, 12:02 PM
Sedryn (Human Cleric)

Seeing Lithandrill free Sheyra from the fleeing Rogue, Sedryn concentrates on the foe before him saying to his friends, "The Sorceror is on deck after him and the other Rogue."

Sedryn swings his mace again at the rogue before him.

{OOC -

Heavy Mace +3 Attack, 1d8 Damage

Bless grants Sedryn and Sheyra gain a +1 morale bonus on attack rolls and on saving throws against fear effects.

Renewal Domain Benefit:
If HP falls below 0 then, regain 1d8 + CHA mod (+1) 1/day}

rainbowvet
2005-03-24, 11:16 PM
Boris, Human Ranger/Wizard

Seeing that Lithandrill has recovered Sherya and well in hand, Boris chases after the rouge and sorcerer. He will attempt to trip whomever he can get within 10' with his spiked chain.

Nyna
2005-03-24, 11:29 PM
Sheyra, Human Monk

Sheyra hits the floor with a thump and moans, waking from her magical slumber from the impact. She shakes her head as she pulls herself up to a sitting position, and looks up at Lithandrill. She blinks, seeing three of him, then shakes her head, trying to focus her vision. "Ow... what's going on, Lithandrill...?"

(OOC: Hehe... hit her head, takes a second to refocus, lol)

Dr._Bob
2005-03-25, 12:06 AM
Sedryn continues to menace rogue #1 with his mace. Seeing himself cut off from his partners and essentially surrounded, the rogue drops his dagger and raises his hands in surrender.

Boris runs to the stairway, and whips his spiked chain at the legs of rogue #2. The fleeing rogue manages to leap up to a higher step at the last second, avoiding being tripped.

At almost the same instant, Lithandrill draws back and fires at rogue #2. His arrow thunks into the railing only inches from the rogue's hand. The rogue jerks his hand away and keeps running up the steps.

Aeroz, Angela, Tiriel, and Si'rene surround Sedryn's captive who looks anxiously from person to person, hoping for mercy.

rainbowvet
2005-03-25, 12:59 AM
Boris, Human, Ranger/Wizard

Boris, realizing his support is behind him and that Sherya is safe, decides not to follow the rouge and sorcerer to the top deck.

He walks back to Lithandril and Sherya, "Shall we see how the others have faired with the other rouge."

Lithandrill
2005-03-25, 07:42 AM
Lithandrill

*With a short sigh and a shake of his head Lithandrill offers his hand for Sheyra to get up.*

"Not much going on anymore, Sleepyhead. Seems like you slept through most of the fight."

*Absently Lithandrill scratches his head.*

"I wonder they they are going to escape.....Lets ask our rogue buddy there shall we Boris?"

Rodrick_the_Red
2005-03-25, 11:39 AM
Sedryn (Human Cleric)

"Somebody tie him up." Sedryn says to his freinds before talking to the rogue. "Alright, start talking fast! Who are you?, who are your friends?, Where are they now?, and What were you going to do if you managed to take Sheyra?"

Dr._Bob
2005-03-25, 11:52 PM
Aeroz grabs some silk rope from Sedryn's gear and quickly ties up the prisoner. The rogue does not resist, but keeps his lips clamped shut and refuses to speak.

The other rogue and the sorceror have escaped. At first it's not clear where they have gone, but Angela goes topside and then returns with news that the sorceror and the rogue apparently jumped off of the Sea Lion (undoubtedly assisted by feather fall) into a longboat that quickly rowed away into the night. She could see them in the distance before they were swallowed up by the darkness, but they were too far away for anyone to do anything at that point. Several members of the skeleton night crew were found unconscious, and other sailors are in the process of reviving them right now.

The captain is up and is making sure that his crew is accounted for and unharmed. He will undoubtedly be down soon to see what has been going on.

The passengers seem to have mostly stayed in their rooms, likely too afraid to get involved once the combat began.

rainbowvet
2005-03-26, 12:18 AM
Boris Human Ranger/Wizard

Boris looks over the rouges equipment, looking for clues to his association and valuables.

rainbowvet
2005-03-26, 12:21 AM
Boris Human Ranger/Wizard

How could they have known where to find us. There must have be someone on this ship that aided them.

Looking at the uncooperative rouge, perhaps we can get more from honey than we are from vinigar.

"I don't think we need you tied up, we are not her to hurt you. There is no reason we can't be friends, what do you say friend?"

With that, Dirk unties the rouge and chants a few words of power.

Dirk casts charm person DC 13

Nyna
2005-03-26, 12:47 AM
Sheyra, Human Monk

Still somewhat groggy, the girl stands to her feet, a little unsteady but managing to keep her balance. She rubs her head. "I'm gonna have a lump there in the morning..." She mutters to herself, then shakes her head, attempting to clear her thoughts.

She looks up in time to see Boris beginning to untie the rogue. She quickly moves over and grabs his arm to stop him (before he begins casting the spell). She whispers to him quietly but forcefully, "Just what do you think you're doing? He's Mulhorandi, he's lucky we even let him live! Don't you dare let him escape!" Her eyes flash with an anger quite unlike her usual personality, and her grip on Boris' arm is tighter than neccessary, possibly causing some slight discomfort.

(OOC: She has no idea what Boris is doing untying the rogue... She's not a spellcaster, and doesn't much care anyways. If she knew you were going to use charm person she'd probably stop you, so the outcome would be the same I think. Sheyra does not like Mulhorandi...)

Lithandrill
2005-03-26, 11:07 AM
Lithandrill

*Lithandrill puts a comforting hand on Sheyra's shoulder and pulls her back alittle.*

"Let Boris try whatever he wants to try, that miserable piece of rogue scum has nowhere to go now that his friends have left him to die here."

*Lithandrill winks almost unnoticably at Sheyra and whispers in her ear.*

"And if his little plan doesn't work then I have a few weys of myself to make him talk, and if he doesn't talk, he will be wailing an eternity that he would have. No one sneak behind my back and takes away the one I protect without feeling the wrath of the dragon goddess on him. His life was forfeit the moment he sneaked into that room."

Rodrick_the_Red
2005-03-26, 05:59 PM
Sedryn (Human Cleric)

"Is anyone wounded? Sheyra are you hurt?" Sedryn will tend to anyone with wounds. If none are injured he will cast Cure Moderate wounds on himself.

Dr._Bob
2005-03-26, 09:31 PM
The rogue is dressed in black leather armor. He is unarmed as he has already deployed and abandoned his shortsword, hand crossbow, and dagger. His olive complexion and straight black hair confirm Sheyra's suspicion that her attackers were Mulhorandi. He stares at Sedryn in defiance, refusing to answer.

Boris takes over interrogating the rogue, while Sedryn tends to his own wounds. Sheyra is shaken but not hurt. Lithandrill tends to her, as a mother would tend to her child. Aeroz and the others take up positions at either end of the hallway to be sure there are no more surprises tonight.

At first the rogue recoils from Boris' face with disgust and refuses to answer any questions, but as Boris continues speaking to the rogue, his gentle tone and hypnotic cadences work their magic, and the rogue's tongue loosens.


"Look, all I know is that word came last night that our corsair, the Shu, was supposed to intercept this Hlondethi vessel and retrieve a fugitive.

"The warlock had us onboard shortly before midnight. There were hardly any sailors on duty, and we were able to row up to your ship in a longboat and board without anyone noticing. Once the warlock had put a few crewmen to sleep, he led us to your door, and ... well, you know the rest."

He shrugs, then he looks down at his hands.

"Um. Do you think someone could take care of these burns for me? I don't want them to get infected or anything."

rainbowvet
2005-03-26, 11:25 PM
Boris Human, Ranger/Wizard

"Well, he wasn't of much use. But it does confirm we have a spy onboard."

Looking to the rouge, "I guess we should heal him and hand him over to the captain. It would probably be wise to have Sherya stay in another room and we will need to start posting sentry."

Lithandrill
2005-03-28, 10:33 AM
Lithandrill

*Lithandrill thinks for a moment and then turns to Boris*

"Do you mind if I interogate this rogue some more myself?"

Dr._Bob
2005-03-28, 12:26 PM
Fear appears in the rogue's eyes at he looks from Boris to the hulking Lithandrill.

"Please don't hurt me! Please don't hurt me!"

Rodrick_the_Red
2005-03-28, 04:46 PM
Sedryn (Human Cleric)

Sedryn ducks into the cabin and retrieves his healers kit and the two dropped short swords.

"No one will hurt you as long as you tell us everything you know." reassures Sedryn "Now let me bandage your hands." Sedryn bandages the rogues hands.

Sedryn then casts Detect Magic and examines the rogue, then the dropped weapons.

{OOC - Heal +8}

Dr._Bob
2005-03-28, 06:22 PM
The rogue carries nothing that radiates magic. The shortswords are of excellent quality, clearly of Mulhorandi make.

The rogue's right hand is blistered badly. Sedryn's dressing ensures that his hand will heal quickly.

The rogue nods appreciatively and continues talking. "It was just a job, you know. I didn't know we were after a little girl." He looks over at Sheyra, "I wouldn't have taken this assignment if I'd known."

"A whole bunch of Untherite nobles went underground after we liberated their people. I had assumed we were after one of those Untherite insurgents.

"I guess we must have an agent on board, because someone tipped us off about an Untherite fugitive when you guys were docked in Spandeliyon. We were told that there would be a diversion at midnight, so that we could snatch our target with a minimum fuss."

The rogue begins to look a little bit scared. "This is a Hlondethi vessel, isn't it? You can't turn me over to them. They're just as bad as the Untherites used to be. They'll kill me as a pirate or, worse, make me one of their slaves and put me to work rowing until I die."

"Hide me. Tell them that I escaped with the others. I can make it worth your while, I swear. Please! I didn't know! You can't condemn me to death or slavery just because I made a mistake!"

Dr._Bob
2005-03-29, 07:36 PM
The rogue's pleas are met with stony silence. Eventually, he gives up and hangs his head sullenly.

Once the situation on deck has been secured, the captain of the Sea Lion descends to the passenger cabins, escorted by a pair of armed sailors.

The two sailors take custody of the rogue and escort him to the brig.

The captain remains behind to find out what exactly happened. When you explain the whole incident (and Sheyra's existence), he shakes his head in wonder.

"I think the less I know about the young lady, the better off I'll be. All I know is that this is the second time my ship and crew have been put into jeopardy over her.

"We'll be arriving in Ingdal's Arm tomorrow. I know that you've all booked passage to Velprintalar, but now that the Mulhorandi know you're onboard, I am afraid that we will be harassed all the way along the coast.

"I am going to suggest that the five of you (indicating Aeroz, Lithandrill, Sedryn, Boris, and Sheyra) disembark and make your way to your final destinations on horseback. You'll be sitting ducks if you stay on board."

The captain's tone suggests that this is not really a suggestion. He turns abruptly and climbs back to the top deck to continue securing his ship.

Frojoe21
2005-03-29, 09:04 PM
Aeroz, Elf Expert

[OOC: yay, I am back. woo]

"Good plan. The only problem is, where can we get horses cheap. I dont have one and I have fairly little pocket money."

rainbowvet
2005-03-29, 09:26 PM
Boris, Human, Ranger/Wizard

"The captain has a point, we can expect nights similar to this as long as there is a spy on board. I for one would like to have solid ground beneath my feet again"

OOC: Welcome back, Frojoe, you were missed.

Nyna
2005-03-29, 10:25 PM
Sheyra, Human Monk

"I don't have a horse either, and I don't really know how to ride all that well..." She reaches into her pouch and pulls out a handful of gold. Eyeing it for a moment, she puts it back in her pouch. "I've got a little more than 50... not much, I guess."

(OOC: Welcome back, Frojoe!)

Rodrick_the_Red
2005-03-30, 09:06 AM
Sedryn (Human Cleric)


"I am going to suggest that the five of you (indicating Aeroz, Lithandrill, Sedryn, Boris, and Sheyra) disembark and make your way to your final destinations on horseback. You'll be sitting ducks if you stay on board."

"Captain, that is a good idea. Now if you would refund the remainder of our passage and our mounts as well, we should be able to continue our journey." Sedryn continues, "You can keep the money for our friend that did not come that should be plenty of profit, since you will be able to take on more passengers at the next port, and Sheyra should get the remainder the her knights passage as well."

Frojoe21
2005-03-30, 06:07 PM
Aeroz, Elf Expert

"Whoa there Sedryn. I agree that Sheyra's bodyguards dying was tragic, but we dont need to push our refunds."

He turns to the captain "Perhaps we could get the refund for our missing companion. I beleive that it should be enough."

Dr._Bob
2005-03-30, 09:30 PM
The captain politely declines to give back any money. After all, he has no way to fill your berths this late into the voyage. He points out the small print on your tickets - no refunds.

The next day is foggy and rainy. The Sea Lion arrives in Ingdal's Arm with a minimum of fuss. The layover in Ingdal's Arm is scheduled for only a few hours, so most passengers stay on board the Sea Lion or grab a quick drink in a dockside bar while cargo is loaded and unloaded.

All five of you (Aeroz, Lithandrill, Sedryn, Boris, and Sheyra) wait on board, then at the last minute, dash down the gangplank just before it is retracted (a maneuver that is designed to throw off any spies that might be on board the vessel).

Angela, Tiriel, and Si'rene won't be accompanying your group, because of "things" that they have to take care of in Velprintalar. "Look us up when you make it to the big city!" Angela calls out with a wave as the Sea Lion pulls away.

The Sea Lion disappears into the fog in a few minutes, leaving the five of you alone on the docks. You recover your two warhorses among the cargo and other livestock that were just offloaded (as the captain promised).

Velprintalar is many days journey to the east from Ingdal's Arm. It will take even longer if you have to travel on foot. It looks like you'll have to figure out a way to scrape up some quick gold if you want to continue your journey into the Unapproachable East.

Lithandrill
2005-03-30, 09:42 PM
Lithandrill

*Lithandrill looks around and shakes his head*

"This just sucks.....we are in the middle of an unknown land, without money, with a weird girl who we saved more then once and a captain that throws us ofboard without even giving our money back! Hell he didn't even leave us a good bottle of that Scotch......"

*Frustrated Lithandrill kicks a rock as he walks to his warhorse. A little harder then needed he throws his pack at the back of the animal and climbs in the saddle..*

"Guess we will have to make some money before we do anything...."

rainbowvet
2005-03-30, 10:39 PM
Boris, Human, Ranger/Wizard

"Well, as I see it we need only enough money for 2 horses. Surely Sherya is small enough that she can ride with another. None the less, we will need to earn some money. I suggest we head to the nearest tavern. Not only can we get a stiff drink, but it is always a good place to pick up work."

Boris thinks for a moment. "There is another option, perhaps we can find the local mercinary guild. If there is a caravan heading to our destination, perhaps we could be hired on as guards."

Frojoe21
2005-03-31, 05:30 PM
Aeroz, Elf Expert

"I dont think travelling in a caravan would be the wisest thing to do. The thing is, I am not to skilled at riding horses. I am not that big and I probably could fit on a horse with someone riding it. And I do agree with boris, we should get something to drink."

Dr._Bob
2005-03-31, 11:10 PM
The story thus far:

Three adventurers (Aeroz, Lithandrill, and Sedryn) accidentally witness the theft of a powerful artifact from a Thayan diplomatic party. Accused of the murder of the Thayan ambassador, they escape Hlondeth by boat with the assistance of Prozen, one of the Queen's Investigators, who tells them that the true thieves/murderers are part of some sort of conspiracy involving powerful members of the Emerald Guard. In exchange for freedom, they are charged with tracking down the artifact, which is being taken into the Unapproachable East. Their only lead is a contact named Baran, who is to be found in a tavern called The Boar's Head in the capital city of Aglarond, Velprintalar.

En route to Velprintalar, however, they become involved in another intrigue, this one involving a young woman named Sheyra, who is being pursued (for unclear reasons) by Mulhorandi agents. Also joining the party is a disfigured human named Boris.

The five members of the party (all strangers to one another a week ago) find themselves prematurely ejected from the sailing vessel that had brought them to the East. They now need to find a way from Ingdal's Arm to Velprintalar (several days ride to the east).


Ingdal's Arm is named after the curved spit of land that provides shelter for ships in its harbor. The town itself is small and rundown. It appears to have once been a bustling port, but now many buildings and warehouses seem to be empty and/or boarded up.

As you leave the docks to head into the town proper, you ask some locals for tips on where to stay. They indicate that the Iron Griffon provides clean rooms and decent meals for a reasonable rate.

It takes you only a short while to locate the inn, marked by a rusting griffon-shaped sheet of metal hanging over the door.

You stable the horses (who seem glad to be back on solid ground) and take a pair of adjoining rooms, then settle downstairs in the common room for dinner to discuss your options.

Rodrick_the_Red
2005-04-01, 11:24 AM
Sedryn (Human Cleric)

"Boris, I think your idea of caravan guards is a good one. Aeroz, we are going to have to ride to get to Velprintalar so it just as well be with a caravan. And yes we could all use a drink." Sedryn says.

Nyna
2005-04-01, 07:30 PM
Sheyra, Human Monk

"I don't think joining a caravan is a great idea... but let's worry about that later. Right now our main concern is money, right? Do any of us have any skills that could be of use in finding some gold? If not we could always look for the odd job...

"And yeah, a drink sounds good. I think I'd like some juice, or lacking that I guess water would be fine."

Frojoe21
2005-04-01, 08:00 PM
Aeroz, Elf Expert

"Ummmm, yeah. Juice or water (not making any jokes about Jesus juice or tonic water). I used to work for a theives guild a bit back, but I dont think using my experience from that would be too good of an idea. Also, working at a tavern or inn would not be the best idea. We need something with a relatively high pay, and something we can do for maximum three weeks. We shouldn't stay here any longer than we need to"

rainbowvet
2005-04-01, 08:39 PM
Boris, Human Ranger/Wizard

Boris takes a seat in the common area with his companions. He orders his usual ale and ponders their problem.

"I don't think we have 3 weeks. It will only take time for the Sea Lion to reach the next port and a messeage will be sent to the shadowing Muhorondi craft. They will be sure to get back here quickly.

"Thus we need to quickly find money using the only skills we have. Mine involve woodsmanshp and the arcane, but basically it is the select use of force. Lithandril is in the same trade. Sedryn has his divine gifts, but Im sure he's not the type to doll them out to only those that pay. Aeroz has a gift for stealth and guile. While I am sure he could procure the money quickly if he put his mind and skills to it, he is corret that it is probably no the best course of action. As for Sherya, she can obviously fight, but I am not sure what her other skills are."

"So, we just now need to find someone who want to pay us for these skills."

With that he takes a long draw from his ale.

Lithandrill
2005-04-01, 11:17 PM
Lithandrill

*Lithandril grins slightly*

"Maybe if I would find some rich girl and ...... na it would never work. Before I got entangles in all of this I used to make quite some money with hunting down criminals for a bounty and slaying monsters that had been bothering towns. It payed quite well I must say so who knows maybe some local mayor or Deputy could tell us more after this drink...."

*Without further ado Lithandrill orders himself a nice dwarven Vodka and orders something for the rest as well.*

Dr._Bob
2005-04-01, 11:28 PM
As the evening deepens, the rain tapers off, leaving a chill in the air.

As you make some small talk with the locals and the barkeep, you learn a little bit about local geography. The road to Velprintalar heads east out of Ingdal's Arm. Three small towns (Urve, Urth, and Corth) lie between you and your destination.

You also learn that there are some merchant caravans taking goods to and from this port that may be in need of some "muscle", but those caravans generally head south from Ingdal's Arm to Delthuntle on the south side of the peninsula. That journey would take you on a path away from Velprintalar, and the pay frankly doesn't sound all that enticing.

When you ask the barkeep about any "jobs" that might be suitable for your group, he shakes his head. "Not too much need for adventurers in Ingdal's Arm, these days, that's for sure."

He pauses for a moment, looking the men over (more or less ignoring Sheyra).

"But if its gold you're after, you should stick around for the festival tomorrow. You look like a tough bunch of characters. You'd probably do pretty well in the Mud Bowl!" He laughs and several of the locals laugh with him.

It takes you a moment to figure out what "festival" he was referring to. Then you realize that it must be Highharvestide, the end of summer. The clouds and rain must be obscuring the full moon marking the midpoint of Elient.

Rodrick_the_Red
2005-04-02, 07:54 PM
Sedryn (Human Cleric)

"Highharvestide, well I could use a little relaxation time and a festival is just the thing, barkeep tell us more about how the Mud Bowl is practiced in your town." Sedryn inquires.

Lithandrill
2005-04-03, 01:28 AM
Lithandrill

"Mud.....bowl....somehow that sounds as if a lot of guys come together and mud wrestle. And no way I am doing that."

*Shakes his head.*

"But the festival is nice I guess."

Frojoe21
2005-04-03, 12:51 PM
Aeroz, Elf Expert

"Your losing sight of the main goal. The sooner we Velprintalar, the sooner we can get the kris and the sooner we dont have to deal with Prozen. Relaxitation is last on our list of what to do. Like I said before, I cant ride a horse, and I am small enough to share one. We just need one for Boris and we can get going."

rainbowvet
2005-04-03, 05:10 PM
Boris, Human Ranger/Wizard

"One horse or two, we don't seem to have enough money for either option. Since the caravan is going in a different direction, that is not an option, and there seems to be no employment opportunities in this village. As I see it, we can stay a few days for the wrestling match and hope our ringer, that would be you Lithandril, can win enough to buy a horse or two. Another possibility is to start walking towards our destination. Hopefully one of the towns on the way may have more employment options."

Boris takes another swallow of his ale.

"There is one more option, but I dare not even think about it. We could stop drinking and us that money towards the purchase of a horse. I shudder to think of such drastic measures."

Dr._Bob
2005-04-04, 06:44 PM
The bartender is happy to tell you all about the Ingdal's Arm celebration of Highharvestide.

With the coming of the fall, local farmers and merchants all gather together to show off their crops and wares and to simply celebrate the end of a long summer of hard work. Naturally, there will be much eating, drinking, and partying in general, but the highlight of the day will be the Mud Bowl.

The "Mud Bowl" itself is normally a watering hole and wallow for local livestock. On Highharvestide, however, the mud pit is transformed into the Ingdal's Arm equivalent of the Colosseum.

Cheering crowds line the edges of the muddy depression as the finest and fittest (and eventually filthiest) men of the area wrestle and pummel their way to the coveted title of Mud Bowl Champion!

Participants battle one-on-one in elimination contests, culminating in the Elite Eight, Final Four, then finally the Championship match!

No weapons, armor, or magic is allowed. Other than that, pretty much anything goes!

Last year's champion, Urgal the Fat, is returning to defend his title. The prize of 200 gold pieces (contributed by enterprising merchants who are given food and drink concessions in return) may seem modest, but the bartender confides with a wink that the real money is to be made in betting on the contests.



OOC: I lost internet access over the weekend, but I am back up now. Sorry!

Rodrick_the_Red
2005-04-05, 03:33 PM
Sedryn (Human Cleric)

"Sounds like fun. I might just try it, but I doubt I could win, Sherya might though." Sedryn muses.

rainbowvet
2005-04-05, 05:34 PM
Boris, Human Ranger/Wizard

"200 gp for the winner. I'm not even sure that will buy us a horse along with the saddle and tack needed for a journey. The barkeep is correct, if we are to make enough money, then betting is the way to do it.

Frojoe21
2005-04-05, 08:09 PM
Aeroz, Elf Expert

"Lithandril, how about you join. Your pretty big, and to sport that large sword and armor takes a lot of strength. There is a good chance you might win. Boris, you could join as well. Unfortunately; frail little me will have to watch at the sidelines."

Dr._Bob
2005-04-05, 10:23 PM
You retire to get some rest before the big festival.

The day breaks clear and sunny. After a hearty breakfast, you mingle with the crowds that seem to have materialized out of nowhere. The sleepy town of Ingdal's Arm suddenly seems to be as crowded as any metropolis you've been in in the West.

You sample the baked goods and beers of the area as well as the street performed before checking out the Board, on which are posted the competitors for the Mud Bowl.

The name, "Urgal the Fat," is already posted on the Board along with a half dozen other less colorful names. A halfling sits at a table set up next to the board. Two large bruisers stand behind him. The halfling seems to be taking down names of competitors. A small line of about 4 or 5 men stand in line, waiting to register. They all have the lean, tanned, wiry look of farmers or laborers.

rainbowvet
2005-04-05, 10:42 PM
Boris Human Ranger/Wizard

"Well, I really have nothing better to do. I might as well sign up

Nyna
2005-04-06, 08:03 AM
Sheyra, Human Monk

"Well, of course I'm going to join! I certainly have no reason not to!" She grins and joins the line to sign up.

Dr._Bob
2005-04-06, 10:26 PM
The halfling smirks as he registers Boris. "Boris the Beautiful, you say? I hope wrestling in the mud doesn't mar your good looks!" His flunkies laugh hysterically.

The halfling's smile fades, however, when he sees Sheyra. "What is this? A joke? The Mud Bowl is for men, not little girls! Why don't you run back to the pie baking contests before your mama comes looking for you?" The flunkies laugh again.

The halfling leans around to look past Sheyra, "Who's next?"

Frojoe21
2005-04-06, 10:32 PM
Aeroz, Elf expert

"Come on, let her join. Your be suprised when you se what this 'little girl' can do to a grown man. Besides, what have you got to loose but a slot on the entry sheet.

[OOC: Diplomacy +6. Sending you the roll Edit: I rolled a 1. How crap is that]

Yoric_Steele
2005-04-07, 08:14 AM
Male Human - Dressed in Leather

*A man who was standing off to the side of the table, approaches the halfling with a good-natured smirk on his face*

"Come now Larrec", he jokes, addressing the Halfling. "Not once in four seasons have I ever seen you turn someone away from the 'pit."

*He looks at Sheyra, inclining his head in a short bow*

"Besides," he says again to the Halfling "I think she is a shoe-in to win the competition. So much Larrec, that I will wager you 20 gold that she wins." He says folding his arms across his chest, with a broad grin from ear to ear.

[OOC: Please see the OOC thread for a more complete physical description of my character]

Dr._Bob
2005-04-08, 11:47 AM
The halfling shakes his head at Aeroz's words, still refusing to allow Sheyra to participate, but when the newcomer offers to put up some gold, the halfling seems to reconsider.

"Well, if you want to throw away some perfectly good money, that's your business, Miles."

He takes down Sheyra's name, and soon the first round pairings are posted. There is a flurry of activity around the main table as bets are offered and taken.


Bregon of Urve
Nagel the Bagel

Urgal the Fat
Mendan Brollen

Boris the Beautiful
Piper Small

Bo Halfhand
Samethar Oleynick

Sheyra Relik
Federic Ollo

Rungal Gunawardane
Vik

Merlin Soovere
Nicholaz Underwood

Berwyn Frost
Big John


The halfling calls out, "Let's get ready to rrrrr-rumble!!!!!!"

The first two competitors enter from opposite sides of the pit, both bare to the waist. Bregon is a tall, wiry man with a neatly trimmed beard. Nagel, as his nickname suggests, is fat, soft, and round.

The two men circle cautiously at first, then they clinch and grapple. Nagel's weight appears at first to be an advantage, but Bregon manages a quick foot sweep, and Nagel goes down, face first into the mud. The crowd roars with glee as Bregon climbs onto Nagel's back and pounds him until his submits.

The second match is even quicker. Urgal's massive frame makes Nagel look like a skinny waif in comparison. Mendan Brollen curses his rotten luck at drawing Urgal in the first round, and enters the ring with a look of resignation. In less than 10 seconds, Urgal has Mendan twisted up into a pretzel, and the match is over.

Next up is Boris. Some hecklers in the crowd hoot at his scarred face. Piper is actually anything but small. Boris' opponent is tanned and broad shouldered. He nods in a friendly manner to Boris as he enters the pit.


OOC: I'll need a 5 round strategy posted in the OOC thread, rainbowvet. For everyone else, let me know if you are betting anything on this match. Since Boris is an unknown, the odds are even.

Yoric_Steele
2005-04-08, 12:08 PM
Miles D'Arcy - Human

*Miles will look in the immediate area for a bucket or something else he can fill with water. The goal is to have something that will hold (relatively) clean water. He will then fill the bucket with water if there is a convenient source (like a horse trough).*

*Miles will then look for a decent place to watch Boris' and Sheyra's match...preferably NOT in the front row.*

Edited to add actually filling the bucket with water.

Nyna
2005-04-08, 10:02 PM
Sheyra, Human Monk

Sheyra goes a little bit away from the arena into a nearby alley and pulls out her backpack, opening it as she does so. "Hmm... I wonder..." The girl rummages through her pack. "No weapons... armor... or magic... Hmm... Well, I wonder if that would actually be considered a weapon..." The girl mumbles to herself, thinking out loud as she pulls out her waterskin.

Sheyra grabs a small amount of soap from her pack and opens her skin, making sure to not spill any of the water. Humming quietly to herself, she grinds the soap into little pieces with her hands and pours the bits of soap into the skin. She then seals the skin back up and promptly proceeds to shake it up thoroughly, making a nice soapy mixture inside the waterskin. She grins, tying the skin to her belt with her belt pouch's string, stuffing the now stringless pouch into her pack. Singing quietly to herself, she skips off back to the arena to find a good position to observe Boris' fight, putting her pack on as she goes.

Rodrick_the_Red
2005-04-09, 11:07 AM
Sedryn (Human Cleric)

After looking at the field of competitors, Sedryn sighs, "Well, I should just wacth and offer moral support."

Sedryn will offer aid to any wrestler in need after their match.

Before Boris begins his match Sedryn will ask for Lathander's blessing for Boris. "Good luck Boris, pin him quickly."

{OOC - Sedryn is just praying not casting any spell.}

Frojoe21
2005-04-09, 11:13 AM
Aeroz, Elf Expert

"Yeah, that or just slam his face into the mud and hold it there until he goes limp. Good luck. No pressure intended but if you or Sheyra dont win, we will have spies and assasins all around us."

Aeroz chuckles a little

"And dont forget to fight dirty"

Dr._Bob
2005-04-10, 10:42 AM
Piper sloshes over to the center of the pit to offer Boris his hand to shake. "Welcome to Ingdal's Arm, stranger. May the best man win!"

When Boris reaches to shake his hand, however, Piper reaches forward, grabs Boris' wrist, and quickly hip throws him into the mud. The crowd roars its approval.

Piper throws himself down on Boris' back to prevent him from getting up and begins plunging Boris' head into the met mud again and again. The crowd hoots and hollers.

Boris manages to roll over onto his back and desperately punches back. One blow clips Piper hard on the temple. As Piper shakes his head to clear it, Boris rises up on an elbow, but Piper takes a handful of mud and smooshes it into Boris' face.

Coughing, Boris continues to lash out with his fists while Piper keeps trying to smother him with more mud.

Just as Boris is beginning to get lightheaded, a lucky punch smashes into Piper's face. Piper falls back into the mud unconscious.

As Boris rises from the muck, the halfling announces "The winner, by knockout, ... BORIS the beeeeeaaaYOOOOtifullll!!!!!!" The crowd goes wild!!!


Boris stumbles out of the pit and his "cornermen" Sedryn, Lithandrill, and Aeroz start wiping away the mud as best they can. He'll have less than an hour until he has to fight again in the next round. In the crowd, money changes hands and then the next fight begins ...

You hardly pay attention to the fight between Bo and Samethar, because Sheyra is up next ...

Yoric_Steele
2005-04-10, 12:06 PM
Miles D'Arcy - Human

*Miles cheers and applauds for Boris, even harder when he lands the impressive knock-out blow.*

*As Sheyra heads for the pit, Miles makes sure he has a good view as close to the pit as possible.*

This should be entertaining to watch...

*Miles will whistle when Sheyra steps into the pit.*

rainbowvet
2005-04-10, 06:54 PM
Boris, Human Ranger/Wizard

Boris shakes away the cobwebs. He thanks everyone for the moral support.

"It appears that brute force overcame schisterism this time. I think a mud wrestling calls for more dirty tactics. No pun intended."

Dr._Bob
2005-04-11, 09:34 AM
OOC: If anyone is going to bet for or against Sheyra, now is the time to do so. Also, magic may be forbidden in the Mud Bowl, but in between rounds, healing is permitted. Boris won't have enough time to recover the non-lethal hits he took before his next bout without aid.

rainbowvet
2005-04-11, 10:14 AM
Boris Human Ranger/Wizard

"I think it wise to bet all we can on Sherya. I am sure the odds are quite favorable and, as long as she doesn't fall asleep during the match, she should win easily."

Yoric_Steele
2005-04-11, 01:43 PM
Miles D'Arcy - Human

*Miles slides over next to Sheyra, and whispers to her and any other PCs nearby.*

"My dear, you have a good chance to do well here. But, you don't want to do it quickly or easily. The closer the fights are at the end, the more money to be made. If they think you are hurting, the odds will be better in the next round."

*Miles winks at Sheyra.*

"Good luck my dear, remember to use your size to your advantage."

*Miles smiles at Sheyra.*

Frojoe21
2005-04-11, 02:50 PM
Aeroz, Elf expert

"Who exactly are you? First you buy Sheyra in, then you go giving her advice. It sounds fairly odd for a commoner to be interested in a little girls fight. What do you really want?"

Nyna
2005-04-11, 07:27 PM
Sheyra, Human Monk

Sheyra looks at the man out of the corner of her eye, more out of annoyance then anything. "Do you mind? I'm trying to focus, and I don't appreciate your interruption." She snaps at the man, then turns back to the ring, eyes closed. She steadies her breathing, slipping into a mediative trance-like state, calming her mind and body as she prepares for the upcoming fight.

...Who is this guy anyways?

Dr._Bob
2005-04-12, 09:42 AM
Sheyra focuses her mind, then enters the Mud Bowl. At first there are gasps of amazement, then raucous laughter.

"Are you lost, little girl?" "Watch out Federic, she looks like a tiger!" "I thought everyone had to fight topless!"

Sheyra ignores the heckling and settles into a ready stance.

Federic looks uncomfortable on the other side of the Mud Bowl. He walks over cautiously, "Look, I don't want to hurt you ..."

Sheyra lunges forward, planting a straight punch into Federic's solar plexus. Federic doubles over, gasping. Sheyra finishes him off with a double spinning hook kick/roundhouse combination.

There is a long silence as Sheyra stands in the mud, eyes shining, over her opponent.

Suddenly, the crowd erupts into wild cheering! Men whoop and holler excitedly, clapping each other on the back! Sheyra notices more than a few women in the crowd smiling happily. One gives her a "thumbs up" sign.

The crowd starts chanting and clapping, "Shey-Ra! Shey-Ra! Shey-Ra!"

Sheyra steps out of the ring, unsoiled (except for her bare feet), and starts to meditate for her next match.

...

After congratulating Sheyra, Aeroz and Sedryn notice something unusual occuring on the other side of the mud pit. Urgal the Fat and the halfling "promoter" are huddled together, having an animated conversation. As they speak, they cast unfriendly glances towards Sheyra.

Yoric_Steele
2005-04-12, 11:38 AM
Miles D'Arcy - Human

*Miles will collect his winnings from Sheyra's round. He will then place another bet on Sheyra for 10 gold in the next round.*

[When finished with the above]

*Miles will walk over to Boris and offer him the bucket of water he collected earlier, he him to clean up.*

[OOC: Spot check or Healing check to determine Boris' condition visually? Spot +5 or Heal +7]

Dr._Bob
2005-04-12, 06:19 PM
Miles collects 40 gp (his 20 gp stake plus his winnings) from the grumbling halfling.

He offers his water to Boris, who appears winded, but otherwise unhurt.

rainbowvet
2005-04-12, 07:03 PM
Boris Human Ranger/Wizard


Boris accepts the water, "Thanks, friend."

Frojoe21
2005-04-12, 07:13 PM
Aeroz, Elf Expert

Aeroz turns to the man. "You still haven't answered my question. Who exactly are you and why have you taken a sudden interest in our affairs?"

Yoric_Steele
2005-04-12, 09:44 PM
Miles D'Arcy - Human Druid

To Boris: "You're welcome. If you need your wounds tended to, let me know."

*Miles turns and addresses (Aeroz).*

"Sir, your point is well taken. I mean you and your companions no harm. Allow me to introduce myself, I am Miles D'Arcy, Druid and guide to travellers. By the look of you and your friends I would bet you are adventurers or at the very least professionals. Ingdal's Arm doesn't see adventurers of your caliber pass through very often."

"I offer you my services, free of charge, as guide for as long as you may require. It is my duty and oath to Chauntea."

*Waits for Aeroz's reaction.*

Rodrick_the_Red
2005-04-13, 10:27 AM
Sedryn (Human Cleric)

Sedryn joins Boris after his fight and examines his wounds. After accessing his condition casts a healing spell to restore Boris.

"Lathandar restore Boris that he may continue to fight."

"Boris that should do it. Good luck in the next bout!"

{OOC - Cast CMW on Boris. edit - rolled a 15.

Sorry about not posting work is very busy right now.}

Sedryn watching Sheyra win unscathed will wander over to the bookie to put 10 gp on Boris and Sheyra next matches.

Dr._Bob
2005-04-13, 07:20 PM
Sedryn heads over to the bookie's table to put down 10 gp down on Boris and Sheyra each. The bookie shakes his head. "The girl's a ringer! 30 gp minimum bet." He points up at the signboard.

The next round pairings are posted along with odds (based on the fighters' performance in the first round):


Bregon of Urve +50
Urgal the Fat -100

Boris the Beautiful +20
Bo Halfhand -20

Sheyra Relik -30
Rungal Gunawardane +30

Merlin Soovere +20
Berwyn Frost -20


According to the odds, Sheyra is favored to win, so you'll have to stake 30 gp for a chance to profit 10 gp (40 gp total). Boris, on the other hand, is thought to likely lose, so a 10 gp bet offers a chance to profit 20 gp (30 gp total).

...

The first match in the second round is another rout. Urgal dispatches Bregon by smothering him like an anaconda. Urgal's strength is just too much for Bregon, and (to no one's surprise) Urgal wins easily. The crowd claps halfheartedly.


OOC: Boris is up.

Yoric_Steele
2005-04-13, 07:26 PM
Miles D'Arcy - Human Druid

*After seeing the numbers change on the Halfling's board, Miles will adjust his bet to 30 gold total on Sheyra.*

"Good luck Sheyra, everyone is pulling for you."

Rodrick_the_Red
2005-04-13, 10:45 PM
Sedryn (Human Cleric)

"Alright 30 gold it is." Sedryn says as he hands over the additional 20 gold.

Dr._Bob
2005-04-14, 11:26 PM
The bets are placed and Boris and Bo enter the bowl.

Bo "Halfhand" is a slight but nimble appearing young man. His head is shaved and his face is beardless. His left hand is contracted and palsied, perhaps a congenital defect or the result of a long ago accident.

Bo and Boris circle carefully at first. Bo lunges forward suddenly and clubs Boris with his gnarled left fist. Boris appears to stagger backward, but he's only feinting - instead he comes up with a handful of mud, which he hurls at Bo's face. Bo dodges easily, but nods appreciatively at the attempt.

Boris hurls himself at Bo's knees in a takedown attempt, but only gets a kick in the sternum for his trouble.

Bo and Boris settle in for a brawl, trading punches. Bo lands more shots, but Boris' strength proves to be an advantage - his blows land heavily and tellingly ...

The crowd cheers and whistles, clearly enjoying this match.

Rodrick_the_Red
2005-04-15, 09:45 AM
Sedryn (Human Cleric)

"Boris keep it up, You got him, You got him, Finish it." Sedryn cheers enjoying the fight.

Yoric_Steele
2005-04-15, 06:34 PM
Miles D'Arcy - Human Druid

*Miles cheers and whistles for Boris!*

Miles shouts, "Boris! Watch out for his left hand!"

Frojoe21
2005-04-15, 06:51 PM
Aeroz, Elf expert

"HIT LOW!! KNOCK OUT WHERE HE FOCUSES HIS WEIGHT. GET HIM!!! GET HIM!!!

Dr._Bob
2005-04-15, 09:52 PM
"Huh?" Boris takes his eyes off of his opponent for a second and gets clubbed again.

In response, he grabs two handfuls of mud and flings them in Bo's face. Sputtering, Bo staggers backward, temporarily blinded. Boris takes the opportunity to follow up with a hard cross.

Bo shakes the mud out of his eyes and slams Boris with his withered forearm. Boris sees stars and almost blacks out. Desperately, he lashes out and ... connects solidly, knocking Bo out cold.

Boris wobbles on his feet as he acknowledges the cheers of the crowd. Aeroz and Sedryn help him out of the ring as Sheyra prepares for her second fight.


OOC: Boris wins. Sheyra is up.

Dr._Bob
2005-04-17, 09:21 PM
Rungal Gunawardane, dark-skinned but with a brilliant white smile, enters the Mud Bowl and shifts back and forth stretching, ready to fight.

The crowd eagerly anticipates Sheyra's return to the ring. The spectators crane their necks as they look back and forth. Where is she?

Yoric_Steele
2005-04-18, 09:16 AM
Miles D'Arcy - Human Druid

*Miles begins scanning the crowd looking for Sheyra, with mild concern.*

I hope nothing happened to her after the first match.

[OOC: I am scanning the crowd, paying particular attention to the Halfling and/or Urgal the Fat...suspecting possible "foul play". (Spot +5)]

Dr._Bob
2005-04-18, 01:28 PM
Miles spots the halfling and Urgal in the crowd. They appear to be looking around along with everyone else.

Either they are great actors, or they didn't have anything to do with Sheyra's delayed appearance.

Frojoe21
2005-04-18, 09:15 PM
Aeroz, Elf Expert

"Strange. Where is she. She was our best chance to win this stupid thing anyways. You know what, I am going to look around."

Aeroz begins to look around, weaving in and out of the crowd to find Sheyra. If he finds her(Unlikely) he will bring her back to the ring. If not, he will start asking people if they have seen a little girl matching her description.

{Search+0 Gather information +0}

Dr._Bob
2005-04-19, 09:17 AM
The crowd is restless, and Sheyra is nowhere to be seen. The halfling waits as long as he can, then announces that he's giving Rungal a bye. Any bets on the match are null and void. The crowd groans and boos, but then turns its attention to the next match: Merlin vs Berwyn.

It looks like Boris will have to fight again, sooner than expected. He is still exhausted from his last match. Even worse, it looks like his next opponent will be Urgal the Fat, the defending champion.

...

Aeroz works the crowd, asking about Sheyra. Maybe it's his less than charming personality or maybe the residents of Ingdal's Arm just don't like elves; Aeroz isn't able to find anyone who has seen her since her last match.

Frustrated, he looks around with his sharp elven vision. On a distant hill, he sees the silhouette of a small girl, sitting crosslegged under a tree.

Yoric_Steele
2005-04-19, 10:39 AM
Miles D'Arcy - Human Druid

*Miles will also assist in the search for Sheyra. Since Miles is known by some of the residents of Ingdal's Arm, they may be more willing to talk to him.*

*Miles will also scan the crowd, by climbing up onto something...barrel/box/crate to get a higher vantage point.* (Spot +5)

I better try to help Boris with his wounds.

[OOC: DR, about how long do we have until Boris has to fight again?]

Dr._Bob
2005-04-19, 01:18 PM
Miles also conducts his own search for Sheyra, but isn't able to find her.

He turns back to offer any aid to Boris he can while two burly fighters slug it out in the Mud Bowl.

There will probably be at least 15 minutes or so after the current bout while the third round odds are calculated and posted, so Boris has a little bit of time to try to recover.

Frojoe21
2005-04-19, 05:01 PM
Aeroz, Elf Expert.

Aeroz runs over to where he beleives Sheyra is.

[OOC: I am ending this post a little early because I have a sneaking suspicion of something, but I just want closure.]

Yoric_Steele
2005-04-19, 09:41 PM
Miles D'Arcy - Human Druid

*Miles temporarily abandons his search for Sheyra. He moves over next to Boris and examines his condition.*

*Calling on the healing powers of Nature through Chauntea, Miles casts Cure Light Wounds on Boris.*

[OOC: Sorry Boris, its the best I can do on short notice.]

Dr._Bob
2005-04-20, 06:20 PM
Aeroz runs over to the hill, where Sheyra sits crosslegged in the shade of a tall tree. Her eyes are closed, and she breathes deeply and steadily. A water pitcher and ladle sit beside her, presumably provided by a friendly villager.

...

Miles offers to aid Boris before his next match. Calling on Chauntea, he channels healing energy into the weary ranger.


OOC: Boris receives 8 points of healing.

Frojoe21
2005-04-20, 06:29 PM
Aeroz, Elf Expert

Aeroz nudges Sheyra out of her meditation or whatever it is.

"Hey, wake up, if you dont get to your match soon youll be disqualified. Your our best chance of winning this thing so get going. If we are going to make it to Velprintalar we need that gold."

Yoric_Steele
2005-04-21, 08:30 AM
Miles D'Arcy - Human Druid

*Miles checks the board to see what the odds are for Boris' next match.*

To Boris, "How are you doing? Do you need additional healing? If so, I can try to find Sedryn."

*Miles scans the crowd looking for Sedryn.*

Dr._Bob
2005-04-21, 09:02 AM
When Aeroz nudges Sheyra, she falls over onto her side. She continues breathing quietly as she lies unconscious on the ground.

...

Boris says that he is OK, but Miles senses that he is still quite weary from his previous fight. Perhaps a little more healing would be helpful. He looks around for Sedryn.

Rodrick_the_Red
2005-04-21, 10:27 AM
Sedryn (Human Cleric)

Hurrying back after collecting his winnings "Boris, sorry to take so long, but I thought I had more time I hope Sheyra is ok." Sedryn says as he casts CLW.

"There you should be good for the next bout." Sedryn comments.

{OOC - Rolled a 9 for CLW

Before the bout with Urgal Sedryn will cast Detect Magic and check Urgal to make sure everything is fair. Then he will scan the crowd to see if there is anything interesting.

Sorry about not posting work is still very busy.}

Frojoe21
2005-04-21, 05:00 PM
Aeroz, Elf Expert

Aeroz will take the water and dump it on his immobile companions head. If that doesnt work, he'll drag or carry her.

Yoric_Steele
2005-04-21, 09:21 PM
Miles D'Arcy - Human Druid

*Miles looks slightly relieved after Sedryn tended to Boris, knowing he is now fully healed.*

*Miles will wander over the the Halfling's table and wait for them to post the odds on Boris' upcoming match. While he wanders he will keep an eye out for Sheyra...just in case.*

[OOC: Glad to have you folks back! It was getting kinda lonely...but RL tends to interrupt gaming.]

Dr._Bob
2005-04-21, 10:24 PM
The semifinal pairings are posted with new odds:

Urgal the Fat -100
Boris the Beautiful +50

Rungal Gunawardane +20
Berwyn Frost -20

Obviously, Urgal is heavily favored to win, but there is an opportunity for some money to be made if Boris manages to pull off an upset win.

Boris, rejuvenated thanks to Sedryn and Miles (the friendly stranger), prepares himself for the fight. He looks across the Bowl at Urgal, a mountain of a man probably twice Boris' size. Urgal grins back toothlessly.

...

Aeroz, meanwhile, tries in vain to awaken Sheyra from her unnaturally deep slumber. He douses her with the water, but she doesn't awaken. Something white catches his eye - there appears to be some powdery residue at the bottom of the water pitcher. He thinks to himself, "There's something rotten in Ingdal's Arm ..."

Yoric_Steele
2005-04-22, 08:38 AM
Miles D'Arcy - Human Druid

[OOC: D.R., please see my post in the OOC thread]

*Miles places a 10 gold bet on Boris to win versus Urgal the Fat.*

*Miles will then move back near Boris' "corner" of the pit to cheer him on.*

Miles says, "Good luck Boris, remember to stay mobile!"

Dr._Bob
2005-04-22, 12:11 PM
Sedryn surreptitiously scans Urgal for any signs of magical enhancement but finds none.

Urgal cracks his knuckles as he faces Boris. The match is about to begin ...


OOC: Any particular plan in mind, rainbowvet?

Frojoe21
2005-04-22, 05:10 PM
Aeroz, Elf Expert

Aeroz leaves Sheyra, there will always be time to get her later. He grabs the pot and makes a mad dash to the Mud Bowl. Once he gets just outside of the site, he draws one of his rapiers and runs over to the referee and explains the problem, showing the pot and the powedery residue. He then points to Urgal and the Halfling, and explains that they are possible suspects.

Dr._Bob
2005-04-22, 10:52 PM
Aeroz only gets about halfway to the Bowl before he is intercepted by a pair of the halfling's flunkies armed with spiked clubs.

"Whoa, there, pointy! Where you headin' in such a hurry?"

...

Sheyra's eyes flutter open. "What's going on?" she thinks. She is lying down on the ground, soaking wet. She remembers accepting a cool draught from a friendly local, then sitting down to meditate before her next match, then it all gets sort of fuzzy ...

Frojoe21
2005-04-22, 11:07 PM
Aeroz takes a step back, and lowers his rapier slightly. He smiles politely and sways his hand back and forth while talking to the brutes, in the slowest, calmest voice he can muster.

"Well, I really wanted to see the semifinals for the match, and, you know, when you got to go, you've got to go. So I ran off and found a nice little spot. Then I realized that the semifinals were beginning soon..." Aeroz drones on as long as he can, keeping them as distracted as possible (bluff and diplomacy both +6). When he sees an opening, he lunges with his rapier at the nearest brute and takes a defensive stance afterwards.

[OOC: Rapier +6 (1d6+1 plus 2d6 sneak attack, AC after sneak attack : 23 (+3 dex, +4 armor, +6 total defense), Designating the one who didnt stab him as dodge target]

Yoric_Steele
2005-04-23, 06:43 AM
Miles D'Arcy - Human Druid

*Miles is waiting near Boris for the match to begin, making small talk with the people around him.*

I wonder if anyone has seen the young lady...



[OOC: I'm waiting until I see something (anything) going on with Aeroz, then I will react.]

Frojoe21
2005-04-23, 09:12 AM
[OOC: Aeroz is quite a distance a way. You would have to have binoculars or know where he was in the first place, besides, he can handle himself.]

Dr._Bob
2005-04-23, 04:41 PM
The thugs furrow their brows as they try to follow Aeroz's rapid fire babbling, but they seem to anticipate that Aeroz might not cooperate, so when Aeroz suddenly lunges at one of them with his rapier, they are ready. His target steps back, while his buddy swipes at Aeroz's head.

Aeroz ducks and turns just in time, and the blow glances off of his shoulder. He swings the bucket and pokes with his rapier to keep the thugs off balance as he carefully sidesteps around them toward the Mud Bowl. The thugs howl in frustration as they try to get past Aeroz's defense.

The commotion begins to attract some attention. The crowd turns from Boris and Urgal and starts pointing at the little fracas. Sedryn sees the halfling and Urgal glance at each other, then Urgal pushes past Boris and climbs out of the Bowl, heading toward Aeroz and the thugs.

Frojoe21
2005-04-23, 04:57 PM
Aeroz, Elf Expert

[OOC: In the future combat scenarios, can I roll my own dice. The online one hates me for some reason and only gives me poor rolls and I have no reason to lie.]

Aeroz will draw his dagger and feign (My roll: 15+6, otherwise just +6) and strike the one who hit him with both weapons (Rapier: My roll - 18-1 Otherwise -1, Dagger: My roll - 6-1 otherwise -1) and continue his defensive fighting

[OOC: just a recap:
Bluff check 21
Rapier: 17
Dagger: 5
HP: 11
AC: 20 (21 dodge target)]

Yoric_Steele
2005-04-24, 09:40 AM
Miles D'Arcy - Human Druid

*Upon seeing the crowds turn, and Urgal the Fat lumber out of the pit...Miles will head in the direction of the commotion.*

Miles turns to the nearest townsperson, "What in the world is going on?"

Nyna
2005-04-24, 01:16 PM
Sheyra, Human Monk

Sheyra shakes her head slowly as she rises to a sitting position, looking slightly confused. "Why am I all wet...? She asks out loud to no one in particular, standing up as she does so. She brushes off the dirt on her clothing, then stands there motionless as she tries to regain her focus. Suddenly, she gasps, then begins to dash towards the bowl, thinking one thing only- I'm gonna miss my fight!

Dr._Bob
2005-04-24, 03:02 PM
Aeroz drops the bucket and draws a dagger from his belt. He engages one of the two flunkies and feints to the outside, hoping to create an opening, but the two thugs are so unsophisticated that Aeroz's ploy proves useless - they just keep swinging their spiked clubs back and forth as fast as they can, growling like beasts as they do so.

One of them manages to beat aside Aeroz's rapier with his club, but Aeroz counters with a quick arcing thrust and his main gauche pierces the flunkie above the shoulder. The man cries out, drops his club, and falls back clutching his bleeding shoulder.

...

Meanwhile, Sheyra has woken up and is sprinting (like the wind) back towards the Mud Bowl. She slows as she approaches the melee. She sees Aeroz engaged with the two brutes.

...

The rest of the party is approaching the fight from the opposite direction, drawn in that direction by the crowd. The villagers closest to the melee start chanting, "Fight! Fight! Fight!" Boris is left standing alone in the center of the Mud Bowl wondering what the heck is going on ...

Yoric_Steele
2005-04-24, 09:16 PM
Miles D'Arcy - Human Druid

*Miles will try to push his way through the crowd, his goal is to get to the inner side of the ring of people surrounding Aeroz.*

*Arms folded across this chest, and wearing a scowl, Miles will wait for the outcome of the fight between Aeroz and the thugs.*


[OOC: Where did Urgal end up after he left the mud pit?]

Frojoe21
2005-04-25, 07:16 AM
Same strategy as last time. Feinting and striking and fighting defensively.

Nyna
2005-04-25, 08:25 AM
Sheyra, Human Monk

Sheyra just blinks for a moment as she approaches the melee, slowing, but as she sees the entire situation she quickly begins to pick up speed again. She is attempting to get close enough to help Aeroz out by charging headlong into the melee, leaping upwards at the last second to attack the thug Aeroz is not attacking with a kick.

(OOC: Dodge is assigned to my opponent, charging: +2 to attack, -2 to AC. +4 to attack, 1d6 damage, 20/x2 crit, using unarmed attack)

rainbowvet
2005-04-25, 05:10 PM
Boris Human Ranger/Wizard

Boris wanders were the crowd and his opponent run off too. Secretly relieved that his impending beating is at least monentarily averted, his content evaporates as he sees Aeroz fighting two thugs.

Just like me to not to bring my weapon in a knife fight. There is no use letting my spells go to waste.

Boris climbs out of the mud pit and runs towards the melee.

((OOC: Boris' intent is to support Aeroz and Sherya with spells, albeit limited as they are. Boris will join the melee once his spells are ehausted.))

Dr._Bob
2005-04-25, 08:42 PM
Aeroz tries to feint again, but again the thugs lack of technique works in their favor and one manages to clip Aeroz's skull. A thin trickle of blood runs down Aeroz's face.

Aeroz's rapier and dagger make short work of the second flunkie, who drops to the ground clutching his abdomen. He then turns to face the other flunkie (who had been stabbed in the shoulder) only to see Sheyra send him sailing 15 feet across the grass with a flying side kick.

The fight is over. The gathered crowd yammers loudly trying to figure out what is going on. Some villagers crouch next to the injured men, stabilizing their wounds. The mass of villagers parts, however, to let Urgal's massive frame through. He glowers as he stands over the flunkies lying on the ground. The halfling runs up behind him, "What's the meaning of this!?"

Frojoe21
2005-04-25, 08:56 PM
Aeroz, Elf Expert

"Whats wrong here?!? Sheyra just came out of drugging and when I go to report foul play, these two moron's attack me."

Aeroz hands the Pot with the residue to the Halfling.

"You and Urgal were looking farily suspicous during the tournament, all shady and such... Did you have anything to do with it? "

Aeroz Sheathes his rapier and his dagger. He looks at Urgal and the halfling with a dissapointed look, then walks off, looking for Miles or Roderic for some healing. While a good distance away, he spits on the ground and continues his serious/dissapointed look.

OOC: for a dude with only 12 hit points and taking on two opponents with little help, what kind of XP do I get out of that. And where's our meatsheild?

Yoric_Steele
2005-04-25, 09:19 PM
Miles D'Arcy - Human Druid

*Miles moves up next to Aeroz, and gently tugs on his tunic to get his attention.*

Miles says, "Aeroz, I'm afraid I don't have much magical healing left for today. But, I will help you locate Sedryn."

*Miles will take a quick look at Aeroz's wounds to ensure they are not life threatening, especially the head wound.*

Dr._Bob
2005-04-26, 10:35 AM
The halfling take the bucket from Aeroz. "I will definitely look into this. I won't tolerate any cheating in the Mud Bowl." He puffs out his chest and tries to appear authoritative.

As Aeroz turns to leave, however, the halfling continues, "Not so fast master elf ..."

"We have laws here in Ingdal's Arm you know, and those laws prohibit unprovoked attacks on local law enforcement. I'm going to have to ask you to accompany these gentlemen quietly." He indicates another pair of flunkies armed with clubs. (They look a little nervous.)

Noticing Sheyra he adds, "Oh, there you are young lady. What a shame you missed your match. You were doing so well before we had to scratch you from the competition."

The halfling turns back toward the Mud Bowl, closely followed by Urgal, who leers menacingly at your group then winks at Sheyra.



OOC: XP will be distributed the next time you get a chance to rest.

Frojoe21
2005-04-26, 06:08 PM
Aeroz, elf expert

Aeroz shoots the flunkies a menacing look, seeing tha he already has instilled a sense of fear in them. 'Very well then, but I was simply defending myself. They came onto me in a threatening manner and I didn't know what else to do. It was pure self defense."

Aeroz follows the two men to wherever the may be taking him, but requests that Sherya acompanies him, to provide some evidence. If she cannot accompany him, then he asks for Miles'.

[OOC: Man you can just tell something bad is in the air. Oh well, at least if I get ambushed, I have some advantage, be it our resident secondary healer or our secondary Melee]

Yoric_Steele
2005-04-26, 08:10 PM
Miles D'Arcy - Human Druid

*Miles is relieved that there was no loss of life. Satisfied that the thugs are being tended to, Miles steps forward next to Aeroz.*

Addressing the halfling, "Surely this can all be resolved quietly, and without further bloodshed. I am sure the town elders would not take kindly to open fighting in the streets."

*Miles turns to Aeroz...*

Miles whispers to Aeroz, "I do have a little influence in Ingdal's Arm and I will try to help you. I am asking you to please try to control yourself until we get this worked out."

Dr._Bob
2005-04-28, 12:48 PM
As Aeroz is disarmed and led away by the two "guards", Miles accompanies him.

Once the group of you are out of sight of the Mud Bowl, the two thugs are joined by two more.

Aeroz and Miles are escorted into the village proper. The thugs take a few turns, then turn into a blind alley. Suddenly, the thugs stop walking. Miles and Aeroz stand surrounded by the four club-wielding thugs.

"That's far enough I reckon," one says.

Another one chimes in, "Now I think it's time we show you how we deal with trouble makers here in Ingdal's Arm!"



OOC: Having not heard otherwise, I am assuming that Boris returned to be Mud Bowl for his fight, along with Sheyra and Sedryn.

Yoric_Steele
2005-04-28, 02:16 PM
Miles D'Arcy - Human Druid

[OOC: I am going to wait for Daring's reponse to my post in the OOC thread, then I will update my initial actions.]

[OOC2: Daring, could you also give us some additional details about how far away the thugs are and how far we are away from the entrance to the alley/street. Thanks.]

Rodrick_the_Red
2005-04-28, 02:46 PM
Sedryn (Human Cleric)

Sedryn finally noticing the ruckus, gets an update from the rest of the party. Upon hearing that Aeroz was wounded decides to see if he can help.

"I better go check his wounds and see if he is okay. Anyone want to come along?" Sedryn mumbles.

Sedryn will hurry off in search of Aeroz and Miles.

Frojoe21
2005-04-28, 04:03 PM
[OOC: Does Aeroz still have his four concealed daggers? I am really hoping he does, cause at least he could hold his own. Now where is Lithandrill when you really need him, and it totally sucks that I can't sneak attack.]

Dr._Bob
2005-04-29, 11:01 AM
Sedryn heads back to the village to try to catch up with Aeroz.

...

Meanwhile, Aeroz and Miles find themselves in a tight spot.

The alley is 100 ft long but only 10 ft wide. Aeroz and Miles are surrounded. Two of the thugs are 10 ft in front and another pair of thugs 10 ft behind, sealing off the entrance to the alley.

Aeroz's hand moves surreptitiously to the knives he has hidden under his clothing.

Yoric_Steele
2005-04-29, 11:52 AM
Miles D'Arcy - Human Druid

[OOC: I will assume we are down to tactical/initiatives, unless you tell me otherwise.]

Miles speaks to the thugs, "I strongly suggest you stop this foolishness, or I will summon the forces of nature to change your mind!"

To Aeroz, "I advise we fight back-to-back to avoid being flanked."

Miles' actions:

1st action: Draw Wand of Cure Light Wounds
2nd action: Use Wand on Aeroz...
(5' step if necessary to work with Aeroz and avoid being flanked.)

{Edit: I will designate my Dodge to the first thug who attaks me.}

[OOC: If I recall correctly Aeroz is pretty beat up from the last fight.]

Frojoe21
2005-04-29, 04:48 PM
Aeroz, Elf expert

[OOC: Yeah, but its only due to my Constitution penalty. Next level my HP situation should be remedied]

Aeroz crosses his arms, putting his hands on the hilts of his daggers in his sleeve. If the thugs take any agressive action Aeroz will draw his daggers and fight defensively. He will keep his eye on one of the thugs (dodge target).

Rodrick_the_Red
2005-04-30, 10:31 AM
Sedryn (Human Cleric)

Sedryn hurries to find Aeroz chiding himself at being so distracted.

"Pay attention to what is going on around you the High Priest is always saying, now my friends are hurt and I am goofing off." Sedryn mumbles as he walks along.

Dr._Bob
2005-04-30, 11:14 AM
As the crowd settles back in around the Mud Bowl, Boris prepares himself to restart his interrupted match with Urgal. The halfling settles back down behind the betting table. The pitcher of water he promised to examine is nowhere to be seen. Urgal pounds his chest and roars - he's pumped up and ready to rock.

Sheyra, now relegated to a spectator only, can only watch from the edge of the Bowl.

...

Sedryn hustles towards the village. It's mostly deserted since everyone else is watching the Mud Bowl. "Where did they take Aeroz?" he wonders.

..

Meanwhile, back in the alley, Miles whips out his healing wand, but (having just been threatened with "the forces of nature") the thugs misinterpret this as a hostile act, and they close in swinging.

Aeroz was ready - in the blink of an eye, daggers appear in both hands, and he slashes the air in warning.

Aeroz and Miles circle back-to-back, but the thugs have them surrounded. Aeroz manages to dodge their clumsy blows easily, but one of the thugs manages to blindside Miles - the spiked club pierces Miles' leather armor, cracking a rib.

Frojoe21
2005-04-30, 11:21 AM
Aeroz, Elf expert

Aeroz will continue to fight defensively, slashing with both daggers when he sees an opening. He still keep an eye on one of the thugs.

[OOC: Full attack - Dagger -1/-1 (1d4+1 each), HP: 11, AC 20 (21 to the bandit who is in the most theatening postition relative to me]

Yoric_Steele
2005-04-30, 12:21 PM
Miles D'Arcy - Human Druid

*Miles will sound the alarm at the top of his lungs!*

[OOC: Sometimes fortune favors the bold!]

*This round Miles will begin casting a spell, using Casting Defensively. Using the Druid ability for spontaneous casting, Miles will dump Delay Poison and try to cast Summon Nature's Ally II.*

[OOC2: This is a big gamble as it takes a whole ROUND to cast, not 1 action. It won't appear until the beginning of Miles' next round.]

*If successful, Miles will choose a Crocodile and will have it appear right behind the thugs engaged with Miles. He is trying for the most advantagous placement possible.*

Dr._Bob
2005-04-30, 11:06 PM
Sedryn stands at an intersection wondering which way to go next when suddenly he hears a cry for help from a couple blocks away. It's not Aeroz's voice, but Sedryn assumes it might be the friendly druid.

...

Miles begins chanting and gesturing, calling for Chauntea to aid him and Aeroz in this hour of need. Unfortunately, as the two thugs harry him, his movements become imprecise and no assistance materializes. For his troubles, he gets hit again by the same thug, despite his attempts to dodge. The blow splinters a corner of his shield, and a spike gashes his shoulder.

Aeroz's twin daggers flicker hypnotically as he holds his two attackers at bay. One thug leans in a little too closely, and Aeroz slashes his forearm deeply. The thug curses.

Frojoe21
2005-05-01, 10:04 AM
Aeroz, Elf expert

Aeroz will continue to fight defensively, slashing with both daggers when he sees an opening. He still keep an eye on one of the thugs.

[OOC: Full attack - Dagger -1/-1 (1d4+1 each), HP: 11, AC 20 (21 to the bandit who is in the most theatening postition relative to me]

[OOC: Yes I know its a copy and paste, but really, until something important happens, like stuff starts going down by some holy pillar of white fire, Aeroz is pretty much sticking to the same strategy]

Yoric_Steele
2005-05-01, 10:30 AM
Miles D'Arcy - Human Druid

Next Round:

*Miles continues shouting the alarm!*

**Begin fighting defensively...** (AC: 18/19)
1st action: Draw scimitar.
2nd action: Attack thug #2. (To hit = +3, -4, net = -1) (Damage: 1d6)

[OOC: Sorry Aeroz, I knew the summoning was a long shot...but it would have been cool if it worked.]

Dr._Bob
2005-05-01, 02:56 PM
Miles draws his scimitar to fend off the pair of thugs attacking him. As he parries their blows, he manages to scratch one of them across the cheek. "You'll pay for that, bastard!" the thug threatens.

Meanwhile, Aeroz continues to whirl and dodge, making himself an almost impossible target to hit. The thugs continue to swing wildly, hitting nothing but air. One thug overextends again and zip, zip Aeroz opens up two new slashes on the thugs arm. Bleeding from three wounds now, the thug drops his club and runs toward the alley's exit.

...

Sedryn runs as fast as he can toward the cries for help.

Yoric_Steele
2005-05-01, 03:29 PM
Miles D'Arcy - Human Druid

*Miles continues to sound the alarm!*

To Aeroz, "Great work! Now carve up the other one!"

Next Round:

**Continue fighting defensively**

Attack the same thug. (To Hit: -1) (Damage: 1d6)

*Miles will use a 5' step if he can use it to his advantage now that there are only 3 thugs left.*

Frojoe21
2005-05-01, 03:42 PM
Aeroz, Elf Expert

[OOC: Same stuff as last time]

Dr._Bob
2005-05-02, 10:38 AM
Miles can only keep his eye on one thug at a time as they circle him.When Miles slashes at one thug, the other one smashes Miles in the back of the head with the butt of his club. Miles almost blacks out for a second.

Aeroz continues to dodge and dance. One thug has been driven off, but the other thug finally connects with a lucky blow. The elf twists nimbly aside however and takes only a scratch.

...

Sedryn, a cramp forming in his side from his sprinting, closes in on the alley where the cries for help are coming from. He sees a young dark-skinned woman standing outside the alley, poking her head around the corner. Her attention is focused on what is going on inside the alley; she does not see Sedryn approaching from the street.



EDIT: Continuity error pointed out by Yoric fixed.

Rodrick_the_Red
2005-05-02, 10:42 AM
Sedryn (Human Cleric)

Hearing the cries for help Sedryn runs in that direction.

When Sedryn arrives he will flank the nearest thug and attack with his mace.

{OOC -
Initiative: +1

Heavy Mace +2 (+4 if flanking) 1d8

Renewal Domain Benefit:
If HP falls below 0 then, regain 1d8 + CHA mod (+1) 1/day}

rainbowvet
2005-05-02, 12:15 PM
Boris, Human Ranger/Wizard

Boris looks disquieted by his ratehr large opponent. Well might as well get this over with.

Boris girds himself for the fight.

((OOC: Boris will use combat expertise -2 attack, +2 AC during the bout. He will also avoid grappling and fight as dirty as he can.))

Yoric_Steele
2005-05-02, 03:02 PM
Miles D'Arcy - Human Druid

**Miles continues to fight defensively**

*Miles grips his scimitar tightly, trying to calm his nerves and focus on striking the thug he wounded previously.**

[OOC: Attack same thug (-1), (1d6)]

To Aeroz over his shoulder, "I hope you are doing better than I am...I almost blacked out after that last hit. If I fall, don't worry about me...save yourself."

Frojoe21
2005-05-02, 06:50 PM
Aeroz, Elf Expert

Aeroz will quit his defensive stance and go full out on one of the thugs.

[OOC: full attack: +3/+3, AC: 17 (18) HP:9]

Dr._Bob
2005-05-03, 10:03 AM
Miles' scimitar flashes as he drives back one of the thugs, cutting deeply. Unfortunately, his partner takes advantage of a split second when Miles' back is turned and smashes him over the right shoulder - the shoulder almost separates, but holds.

Aeroz takes the offensive - his pair of daggers moves almost too quickly to see, but the thug has the advantage of reach and manages to fend Aeroz off with his spiked club, poking Aeroz in the ribcage.

...

Sedryn ignores the thug that flees the alley (moaning and bleeding profusely) and runs past the dark-skinned woman bystander without slowing his pace. Taking in the situation at a glance, Sedryn plows into one of the thugs fighting Miles. His heavy mace, backed by his running momentum, drops the thug like a sack of potatoes.

Rodrick_the_Red
2005-05-03, 10:31 AM
Sedryn (Human Cleric)

Sedryn will flank the other thug attacking Miles and attack him.

I hope that woman is not a freind of these thugs. Sedryn reflects to himself.

{OOC -

AC: 21
HP: 23

Heavy Mace +2 (+4 if flanking) 1d8

Edit - Sent my Attack Roll, rolled a 1. Do I need to roll a fumble?

Renewal Domain Benefit:
If HP falls below 0 then, regain 1d8 + CHA mod (+1) 1/day}

Dr._Bob
2005-05-03, 11:00 AM
Meanwhile, back at the Mud Bowl, Boris looks around the crowd. "I wonder where everybody went?" he thinks to himself. He sees Sheyra sitting in his "corner", but as she sits there with her eyes half-closed, he can't tell whether she is concentrating on the match or if she's slipped into another meditative coma.

Boris' eyes turn back to his opponent. "Is this guy even human?" he wonders. Urgal towers over him - almost 8 ft tall. He must weigh as much as a horse. Urgal's bulk literally blocks the sun from Boris' point of view.

"Well, here goes nothing ..."

The halfling calls out, "Fight!"

Boris circles Urgal warily, bobbing, jabbing, kicking, slapping, spitting - anything it takes to keep his distance. Improbably, the strategy works. Urgal keeps trying to grab Boris, but Boris dances away and even manages to land a couple of solid counterblows.

The crowd goes wild! No one has ever gone this long in the ring with Urgal. The villagers who put money on Boris (a 5:2 longshot) are especially ecstatic - they are on their feet cheering, "Boris! Boris! Boris!"

Urgal's eyes, once filled with mocking confidence, begin to burn with rage ...

...


Sheyra sits crosslegged, impassive. It is impossible to tell what she is thinking.

Frojoe21
2005-05-03, 04:33 PM
Aeroz, Elf Expert

Aeroz continues his attacks, slashing viciously at his current opponent but keeping an eye out for any counterattacks.

[OOC: Full attack +3/+3; AC 17(18); HP 6 GAH I hate that diceroller. It never gives me a remotely good roll whatsoever. Its racist man, racist against the jews!!!]

Yoric_Steele
2005-05-03, 07:22 PM
Miles D'Arcy - Human Druid

*Miles staggers after the last blow, his head groggy and his vision swimming. He manages to keep his feet through sheer determination.*

Keep your guard up, stay mobile or at least stagger like you know what you're doing...

Next round:

*Out of desperation, Miles begins using Total Defense!* (Miles switches his Dodge target to the remaining thug who is threatening him)
{AC: 21, HP: 2}

[OOC: If practical, Miles will use a 5' step to maintain flanking for Sedryn.]

Dr._Bob
2005-05-05, 12:34 AM
Fortunes reversed in an instant, the two remaining thugs find themselves literally in a dead end. Instead of surrounding and outnumbering Aeroz and Miles four to two, the thugs are now trapped in the alley, outnumbered three to two.

Miles is badly injured, but he holds his ground. Meanwhile Aeroz, sensing a shift in fortunes, presses the attack, slashing one of the remaining thugs mercilessly with both daggers.

Sedryn is unable to get at the remaining thugs due to the narrowness of the alley, but any additional intervention is unnecessary - the two thugs drop their clubs and fall to their knees, begging for mercy.

...


Boris continues to bob, duck, and weave, avoiding Urgal's massive, grasping hands. Boris lands another pair of solid blows, one of which fractures Urgal's nose - blood sprays liberally down Urgal's face and onto his flabby chest. Urgal cries out in rage while the crowd goes bananas!

Unfortunately, a moment later, Boris' luck finally runs out - Urgal grabs Boris' arm, ducks underneath, and suplexes Boris into the mud. Before Boris can recover, Urgal has him in a vise-like headlock. Urgal plunges Boris face-first into the mud again and again and again and again. Urgal doesn't stop even after Boris' body goes limp.

The crowd, which had been wildly cheering, falls silent. A few whisper and mutter to each other. "He's going to kill him!" "By the gods, somebody stop him!" Urgal glares at the crowd challengingly as he continues to slam Boris into the mud; the villagers lower their eyes. The halfling averts his gaze and smirks grimly as he begins counting out coins to settle the bets.

Yoric_Steele
2005-05-05, 09:39 AM
Miles D'Arcy - Human Druid

*With the thugs subdued, Miles leans heavily against the wall.*

*Miles will quickly draw his wand of Cure Light Wounds, and cast CLW on himself once.*

To Aeroz, "Aeroz, will you please search these two and feel free to be rough about it." Miles glares at the two thugs.

To Sedryn, "Sedryn, you have my sincere thanks. If you had not arrived just then, I might not have survived the fight."

Rodrick_the_Red
2005-05-05, 10:49 AM
Sedryn (Human Cleric)

"Miles, Aeroz are you alright? Get these three tied up. While I find out who the woman is. If you can wait I will tend to your wounds after that." Sedryn says handing Miles and Aeroz his rope.

Sedryn turns and readies himself in case the woman attacks, saying "Alright the show's over who ever you are, who are you and what are you doing here?"

Frojoe21
2005-05-05, 04:21 PM
Aeroz, Elf expert

"Thank you Miles, I beleive I will"

A wicked grin forms on Aeroz's face. He begins searching the thugs thouroughly. Every time they resist, he nicks them with his dagger. He then cuts off all of their clothes and forces them into a wall. The grin becomes even wider as he continues his sweet revenge.

"Have either of you been in a Calimport theives guild before? No? Well I have, and they are not to forgiving there. The punishments are harsh, and harsher to those outside of the guild. Normally, I would cut off your fingers, but I may choose otherwise if you tell us everthing you know about the halfling and what is going with the mud bowl."

Aeroz raises his dagger and waves it threateningly. If they dont beleive him, he will follow through with his threat and cut off their thumbss. He will also accept any help he recieves during the process

[OOC: Intimidate +0, but I think there will be a circumstance modifyer due to the fact that Aeroz is holding a blade to their throats. Ooh, I wonder what kind of XP I got off that, and if they are carrying any items of value, I will be most happy.

Nyna
2005-05-05, 08:12 PM
Sheyra, Human Monk

The girl, hearing the sudden change in the crowd's behavior, snaps out of her trance and focuses on the world around her. A few moments later, the girl is on her feet, leaping into the pit as she charges at the man pummeling Boris. "Put him down right now! He's already lost, stop beating on him!" Of course, already assuming that the man will not stop his actions, the girl slows down upon entering the arena, facing the man with a normal standing stance, though her arms and legs are held loosely, prepared to roll or jump if need be. Her left hand holds the waterskin prepared earlier this day, one thumb on the cork, and her right hand dips into the mud, coming out with a large glob of it held within its grasp.

Dr._Bob
2005-05-07, 11:01 PM
Miles tend to his wounds as Aeroz ties up the two thugs. One is bleeding from several slashes inflicted during the melee.

Sedryn calls out to the dark-skinned woman he had passed at the entrance to the alley, but gets no response. He cautiously walks over to the entrance and looks up and down the street, but he sees no sign of her. Her identity will remain a mystery for now.

Aeroz begins his sadistic torture/interrogation of the thugs. When they resist talking, he cuts them more deeply and seems to be preparing to make good on his threat to cut off their thumbs.

Sedryn and Miles watch uneasily ...

...

Sheyra faces Urgal across the Mud Bowl. Urgal slams Boris one last time into the mud, then discards Boris like an unwanted rag doll.

The crowd holds its collective breath. The halfling begins to protest but Urgal silences him with a glare.

Rodrick_the_Red
2005-05-09, 10:48 AM
Sedryn (Human Rogue Cleric)

"Hey now! Aeroz there is no need for that I'm sure that these gentlemen will tell us what we what to know if we ask nicely. Miles and Aeroz you watch these two while I take this one over there to treat his wounds." Leaning over to Miles he whispers, "I need you to make sure that Aeroz doesn't harm the other two or it will ruin my spell."

Sedryn takes the most wounded conscience thug 10' from the others and binds his wounds then casts Cure Minor Wounds and then Charm Person. All the while explaining that Aeroz meant no harm he just gets a little worked up sometimes and after we clam him down everything will be fine.

After the spell is cast Sedryn ask, "Now tell me about your boss, you know the Halfling running the Mud Bowl competition."

{OOC - Sedryn uses some of the cut off clothes to bind the thug's wounds. Then cast Cure Minor Wounds (Giving up a Detect Magic) heals 1 hit point. Then casts Charm Person (DC 13). While he questions the thug he will use Sense Motive and either Bluff, Diplomacy, or Intimidate which ever is appropriate.

Bluff +1
Diplomacy +1
Heal +8
Intimidate +1
Sense Motive +2}

Yoric_Steele
2005-05-09, 01:14 PM
Miles D'Arcy - Human Druid

*Feeling slightly better, Miles pushes himself away from the wall toward Aeroz.*

"Aeroz, that wasn't what I had in mind. I don't agree with needless torture. Its true they assaulted us, but we gained the upper hand. Please take it easy and lets see what Sedryn has in mind. Did they have anything of value in their pockets?"

*Miles will carefully watch Aeroz. If he continues to harm the thug(s), he will attempt to intervene.*

[OOC: We may still be in a tight spot, I don't know what kind of law, if any, exists in this small town.]

Dr._Bob
2005-05-09, 03:23 PM
Aeroz and Miles keep an eye on one of the thugs while Sedryn heals the other.

As Sedryn ministers to the thug's wounds, he speaks gently and encouragingly to the thug. Soon, his gentle words have won the thug over, and he begins to talk.

The thug freely explains that "Larrec" the halfling runs the town using his "deputies" (the thugs and flunkies). Urgal acts as an "enforcer". No one dares cross the halfling out of fear of being beaten up by a gang of "deputies" or, even worse, Urgal himself.

The thug doesn't know anything about Sheyra specifically, but he did overhear the halfling tell Urgal that he would, "take care of that wench."

As the thug keeps talking, his eyes keep flickering to the end of the alley, as if expecting others to arrive any minute.

Frojoe21
2005-05-09, 04:49 PM
Aeroz, Elf Expert

"Now that that is settled with. My equipment please. I really, really hate doing things like that. Now if you would be so kind to give it back."

Aeroz turns to where the thug was glancing.

"I dont think anyone there will provide too much help as of now..."

Yoric_Steele
2005-05-10, 09:35 AM
Miles D'Arcy - Human Druid

*Miles will wait for a response from Sedryn. If Sedryn casts a heal on Miles, great. If not, Miles will use another charge from his wand, then put it away.*

To Sedryn and Aeroz, "I suggest we re-group with your other associates. We could still have problems with more thugs while we remain in town. We will be better off in a larger group."

*Miles will wait for Sedryn and Aeroz to be ready to head back...*

Rodrick_the_Red
2005-05-10, 05:05 PM
Sedryn (Human Cleric)

"How many 'deputies' does Larrec have? What do you mean by running the town? And who are you looking for? The woman at the mouth of the alley left was she a freind of yours?" Sedryn continues the questions.

Speaking to Miles and Aeroz "Can either of you think of any questions you would like to ask?"

As the thug talks Sedryn will check Miles' wounds and cast Cure Moderate Wounds.


To Sedryn and Aeroz, "I suggest we re-group with your other associates. We could still have problems with more thugs while we remain in town. We will be better off in a larger group."

"I agree we should stick together and take these three with us." Sedryn replies.

{OOC - Roll sent to DR. Rolled a 16}

Dr._Bob
2005-05-10, 05:59 PM
The talkative thug estimates that there are about a dozen "deputies" that "keep order" in Ingdal's Arm.

Generally the populace has been pretty docile, so the four thugs weren't expecting much of a fight from Aeroz and Miles. They aren't "looking for anyone" - they were just trying to teach Aeroz "a lesson" for cutting up their friends.

The thug doesn't know anything about a dark-skinned girl, but he mentions that the thug that fled might be able to scrape up three or four other thugs, so sticking around the alley might not be a great idea.

You have two thugs in custody, but there is a third lying unconscious on the ground.

Aeroz recovers his weapons while Sedryn heals Miles.


OOC: The two conscious thugs can walk, but will slow you down. Are you planning to heal the unconscious thug or just leave him behind?

Dr._Bob
2005-05-10, 06:47 PM
Meanwhile, back at the Mud Bowl, Sheyra and Urgal face off ...

Urgal taunts Sheyra, "Come here little girl. Urgal won't hurt you. Urgal just wants to give you a little hug!"

Sheyra reaches down and grabs a handful of mud, which she hurls at Urgal. It splats across his chest harmlessly. He laughs. "Ha! You fight like a girl!"

He reaches for her, but she dodges to the side. She continues to zig zag, just out of reach of Urgal's grasping hands, leading Urgal away from Boris' body. Then she sprays the contents of her waterskin into Urgal's face. The soapy water splashes into Urgal's eyes. He roars as if the soap were acid.

Sheyra quickly circles around Urgal and kneels beside Boris. She uses all of her strength to drag Boris to the side of the Mud Bowl where friendly spectators pull him out of the pit to safety. Meanwhile, Urgal whirls around blindly trying to locate Sherya. He swings his arms widely, hoping to catch her in his grasp.

Just before he manages to blink the soap out of his eyes, Sheyra plunges back into the pit and uses her legs in a sliding tackle, trying to bring Urgal down. Unfortunately, Urgal's legs are like tree trunks; she crashes into them, but they do not budge.

Urgal grunts happily (now that he knows where Sheyra is) and falls to one of his knees dropping almost his entire body weight onto Sheyra's extended leg. With a sickening crack, ligaments and tendons snap; Sheyra fights to suppress a scream as her leg folds sideways.

Urgal smiles, revealing black rotten teeth. Sheyra is close enough to smell the stink of his fetid breath.

Frojoe21
2005-05-10, 08:49 PM
Aeroz, Elf Expert

Aeroz belts his two rapiers and reconceals his daggers. He then straps his crossbow to his belt.

"I think we should just leave them here. We should head back to the mud bowl. I dont think Boris did so well agains the big guy. Plus, even if he did win, we would have some money to collect. Then I need a stiff drink. All this skirmishing and stuff left me a little stressed."

Aeroz turns around and give the thug a mean glance

"The only remaining question is if we leave them, should we knock them out or just kill them? If we take them, we do need some way to restrain them."

Aeroz then cracks his neck

"Sedryn, we still need a way out of here. Perhaps you can persuade these men into giving us some aid..."

Yoric_Steele
2005-05-10, 09:12 PM
Miles D'Arcy - Human Druid

"I think we should knock them out, and get back to the mud bowl as quickly as possible. I am very much against killing them, there has already been enough bloodshed for one day."

To Sedryn, "Thank you, I feel MUCH better."

To both, "I think we may have to leave Ingdal's Arm, it is not likely to be safe after dark." Miles states with a grim expression.

Rodrick_the_Red
2005-05-11, 11:04 AM
Sedryn (Human Rogue Cleric)

Sedryn will check on the unconscious thug and bind his wounds if necessary, saying "I agree with Miles let's limit the blood shed if possible and I think we need to do something to free this village from the thugs that are running it. Miles is there any of the towns people that are trustworthy and ready to help stand up to the thugs? We can take these to them and have them expose Larrec."

Sedryn will lead off, suggesting that the uncharmed thug carry his unconscious friend while he keeps the charmed thug near him with Miles and Aeroz following behind.

Yoric_Steele
2005-05-12, 08:43 AM
Miles D'Arcy - Human Druid

*Miles will follow Sedryn's lead, letting him call the shots while the thug is still charmed.*

[Miles will remain armed and ready, just in case. Wooden shield in off-hand, Scimitar in primary hand.]

[OOC: DR, I assume Miles has his companion, Serrah (the horse), stabled somewhere. Is it safe to assume this was relatively close to where the "Mud Bowl" was being held?]

[OOC2: Is Aeroz still badly wounded? If so I can use my Wand of CLW to save Sedryn's spells.]

Dr._Bob
2005-05-14, 09:01 PM
Sheyra slams a phoenix eye fist into Urgal's temple, stunning him briefly. She backpedals, limping, to give herself room to fight.

Urgal shakes his head to clear the cobwebs, then roars with rage and lurches toward Sheyra, spraying mud everywhere. Sheyra nimbly tumbles to the side, avoiding his charge.

Almost like a bull fighting a matador, Urgal skids to a halt, spins around, and charges again. This time, Sheyra doesn't manage to dodge to the side quickly enough, Urgal's heavy fist picks her up and sends her small body flying through the air. She lands heavily in the mud, but she rolls to her feet clutching her chest. Three ribs are cracked.

Urgal grins, sensing victory. Once again, he charges. Ignoring the pain in her leg and chest, Sheyra spins in place, planting a back kick in Urgal's gut. The power of the kick coupled with Urgal's forward momentum knocks the wind out of Urgal's sails with a satisfying "OOOF!!"

"AyiiiAAA!!!" Sheyra spins again, her heel catches Urgal in the jaw, just below his ear. He drops to the mud, out cold.

The fight is over. The cheering crowd pours into the Mud Bowl, catching Sheyra just as she is about to collapse from exhaustion and pain. A sea of hands lifts her up and passes her out of the Mud Bowl, almost reverently, then the villagers' hands lay her gently on the ground next to Boris.

The halfling, seeing which way the wind is blowing, begins to pack up his table and gold, but a half dozen citizens block his way. He looks around for his henchmen, but just then he sees the approach of Miles, Aeroz, and Sedryn with their three captive thugs. The crowd sees them arrive as well and realizes that in one fell swoop the halfling's gang has been broken. The halfling's shoulders slump and he hangs his head.

The crowd begins to cheer for Aeroz, Sedryn, and Miles as if they are returning heroes from a distant war, "Huzzah! Huzzah! Huzzah!" The crowd parts and Aeroz, Sedryn, and Miles are led to their friends - Boris, unconscious, and Sheyra, nearly so.

The halfling, the three thugs captured by your party, and Urgal are led (or dragged) away by a crowd of villagers, and the halfling's few remaining henchmen are soon rounded up as well.

Frojoe21
2005-05-15, 11:29 AM
Aeroz, Elf expert

"Well, I wasn't expecting a celebration. At least we dont have to worry about the halfling and his ape."

Looking at Sheyra and Boris, unconsicous on the floor, Aeroz kneels and tries to wake them up. Then he gets sedryn and Miles to work their magic on the two unconscious people.

"Hey, whatever happended to Lithandrill anyways? With him fighting as well, there was no way we could have lost that mud bowl. And may I remind you about our little "trip" to Velprintalar?"

[OOC: XP time, XP time. Its like happy hour, minus the booze and drunken karoke singers. *SHudders*]

Rodrick_the_Red
2005-05-15, 05:44 PM
Sedryn (Human Cleric)

Sedryn seeing Miles and Sheyra hurt will tend their woounds and cast CLW on each of them.

"Praise Lathander that the town is free of the thugs." He says while tending the wounded.

{OOC -
Roll sent:
Sheyra - 6
Boris - 9}

Nyna
2005-05-15, 05:56 PM
Sheyra, Human Monk

Sheyra sighs with relief as she feels the healing magic flow through her, lessening the pain in her leg and chest. She winces slightly but goes to her feet, leaning slightly on her left leg to lessen the pain from her injuries to her right leg.

"Thanks, Sedryn." She bows slightly in thanks, then rises again as she raises a question. "...I don't suppose anyone knows what exactly is going on around here, do you? I'm a bit confused, myself..."

Yoric_Steele
2005-05-15, 06:52 PM
Miles D'Arcy - Human Druid

*Miles will defer to Sedryn with regard to healing, however he is ready to assist if necessary.*

*Miles will tell Sheyra what happened in the alley and the events leading up to that encounter. He will also explain how the town was supposedly under the boot of the "thugs".*

To Sheyra, "By the way, nice work on putting that smelly pile of garbage in his place!"

[OOC: Well what do you know about that, we sorta "backed into" being the heroes of Ingdal's Arm.]

Frojoe21
2005-05-15, 06:54 PM
Aeroz, Elf expert

"Well aparently, the halfling and Urgal were controlling this town, and being asses about it too. Me, Sedryn and Miles cleaned up most of their "enforcers". You did good kid, but come on, maybe we can get some horses now. We did make some good money, right? Right?"

Dr._Bob
2005-05-15, 08:59 PM
The villagers celebrate enthusiastically, lauding your party as heroes.

Rungal and Berwyn graciously bow out of the competition, and everyone agrees that Sheyra deserves the 200 gp purse. They throw in an extra 300 gp from the halfling's "winnings". When they hear about your ongoing journey, two light horses are offered to your group.

Revelry continues as the sun sets and into the night. You find Lithandrill passed out in a local tavern, having imbibed a bit too much Rashemi fire wine. He mumbles that he's tired of running and just wants to be left alone. You have no choice but to oblige him.

In the morning, most of the town is pretty hungover, but Aeroz, Sedryn, Boris, and Sheyra have their minds on the journey to Velprintalar. Even with the horses, it will take half a tenday to get to the capital city. The locals tell you that the road is rough and dangerous - it has been mostly unused since the sea lanes were opened.

Perhaps a guide might be useful?


Check OOC thread for wrap up.

Yoric_Steele
2005-05-16, 10:08 AM
Miles D'Arcy - Human Druid

Miles speaks to the group: "I mentioned before we got caught up in all the "festivities" here in Ingdal's Arm, that I am willing to guide the group. I am willing to lead you to the capital city, and I can be quite useful while travelling overland. I have my own horse/companion. I will leave the decision up to your group."

*Miles will retrieve Serrah from where ever she had been stabled. Since she has been cooped up, I will provide a treat for her.*

[OOC: Are we going to split up at least a portion of the gold acquired at the end?]

Rodrick_the_Red
2005-05-16, 10:25 AM
Sedryn (Human Cleric)

"Miles I would be glad to have you guide us to the capitol." Sedryn says, turning to the rest of the party he continues, "What say the rest of you? I can assure he is handy in a fight."

Frojoe21
2005-05-17, 07:27 AM
Aeroz, Elf Expert

"Well, you did prove that you could handle yourself back there in that skirmish. We can take you along, but you might want to watch yourself. We've attracted some unwanted company. Once we get out on the road, I'll tell you more about it. Until then, welcome aboard"

Reminding himself of the trouble they had back at the Black Bat, Aeroz will glance around to see if anyone suspicious has been following them.

[OOC: Search: +8; Spot: +2 Or the other way around. I sent you my rolls]

Nyna
2005-05-17, 08:07 AM
Sheyra, Human Monk

"Well of course you can come along. I see no problem with it, and I don't think anyone else would mind, seeing as how you helped the rest of us out with this... problem we had here in town."

(OOC: I apologize for the short post, but class is about to start...)

Dr._Bob
2005-05-17, 09:05 PM
Seeing no reason to waste any time, your party sets off for Urve (the next city to the east) at first light.

Aeroz and Sheyra claim the two light horses. Sedryn and Miles have their own mounts, and Sedryn's mule can carry some extra supplies.

You also have the 500 gp you've recently acquired.

Lithandrill remains passed out from his excesses during the festival, and is clearly in no condition to travel. Boris agrees to stay behind with Lithandrill until he recovers. If possible, both will try to catch up with the main group later.

...

As the four of you leave Ingdal's Arm, heading into the sunrise, the sea sparkles to your left. Soon, however, the road veers away from the sea and you find yourselves travelling through wooded wilderness.

Miles assures you that Urve is one day's hard ride away, but the road you are on has been little used of late. At one time (before the establishment of the sea lanes) the road was fairly busy, and the brush was kept cleared for one bow's shot to each side of the road. Now, however, the wilderness seems intent on reclaiming the road. You are forced to ride single file, with obscuring waist high brush brushing against your legs and the sides of your mounts.

Aeroz rides at the rear, occasionally peering intently back towards Ingdal's Arm with his sharp elven eyes. He does this for the better part of the first hour on the road until he is sure that no one has followed the four of you out of the city.


OOC: Please update your character sheets to reflect your new mounts. Also, please resolve IC how you plan to divide/share the treasure. And, finally, please establish a "marching order".

Frojoe21
2005-05-17, 09:18 PM
Aeroz, Elf Expert

"Well, now that were a good distance away from the town I might as well tell you our predicament. Lithandrill, Sedryn and I were at a bar one night and..." Aeroz tells the tale of how he, sedryn, lithandril and a halfling who ditched them at the last minute made their way from Hlondleth to where they are now.

He takes one glance back for good measure and continues riding along.

"You know, I never thought I would find myself riding one of these. I find them quite uncomfortable."

[OOC: Well, a composite longbow or heavy crossbow has been added to my shopping list. For some reason, Aeroz has a potion of fly, which could be useful. Also I would consider getting some elven chainmail, but its a bit too expensive right now. But I do need a better ranged weapon than my current.]

Yoric_Steele
2005-05-18, 08:33 AM
Miles D'Arcy - Human Druid

*Miles would like a share of the money acquired from the town. However, since Sheyra took care of Urgal, I think she should keep the 200gp purse from the Mud Bowl.*

*Miles will take the lead after we have left the town, moving out in front of the rest of a group a bit but not out of sight. Miles suggests the "marching order" to be: Miles---------Sherya--Sedryn----Aeroz.*

[OOC: DR, Miles (with Serrah) will be riding a bit ahead of the rest in a "scouting" type role. Keeping alert for the possibility of bandits especially in places where an ambush is possible. Once per hour, Miles will dismount and take a moment to check for signs of other humanoids/monsters/etc. using Tracking (Survival +7).]

Dr._Bob
2005-05-18, 05:11 PM
As you ride, you discuss how to best divvy up the small amount of gold you've acquired.

The morning passes uneventfully.

Miles chooses a small wooded glade just off the main road where the four of you dismount and break for lunch.


OOC: Who's got food?

Frojoe21
2005-05-18, 05:57 PM
Aeroz, Elf Expert

[OOC: I DO!!! I DO!!!]

Aeroz dismounts his horse and reaches into his backpack. He pulls out a couple slices of bread and some preservative. He then procedes to eat his lunch.

"So? What now? Boris and Lithandrill arent with us, and we need to get to Velprintalar soon. But until then, whats our course of action?"

Yoric_Steele
2005-05-18, 09:05 PM
Miles D'Arcy - Human Druid

[OOC: DR, rolls emailed to you.]

*Miles will spend a short time foraging for food, to suppliment the groups food supply.* [1st roll]

*After lunch Miles will look for signs fortelling the weather for the next couple of days.* [2nd roll]

*Miles will also do a routine check of the horses, just to be safe.*

To the group: "I think we should split the money earned from Ingdal's Arm equally. With the exception of the money from the main purse, which I feel should be Sheyra's...since she risked life and limb for it. I *strongly* disagree with just creating a shopping list, it is not an equitable way of dividing gold (cash). Sheyra and Sedryn how do you feel?"

Rodrick_the_Red
2005-05-20, 06:33 PM
Sedryn (Human Cleric)


To the group: "I think we should split the money earned from Ingdal's Arm equally. With the exception of the money from the main purse, which I feel should be Sheyra's...since she risked life and limb for it. I *strongly* disagree with just creating a shopping list, it is not an equitable way of dividing gold (cash). Sheyra and Sedryn how do you feel?"


"I think that is a good idea, Miles, Sheyra certainly earned the purse fighting with Urgal. Splitting the rest evenly is just." Sedryn says as he cares for his horse and mule. Then he gets out his rations and begins to eat saying, "I need to remember to buy food for the trail before setting out. Anyone need something to eat? I have some to share if needed."

Dr._Bob
2005-05-20, 10:28 PM
Miles bags a brace of rabbits, which will nicely supplement your provisions.

He also scans the skies and sniffs the air, then concludes that you are in for some crisp, clear days ahead - perfect for travelling.

...

Lunch passes uneventfully, but as everyone begins packing back up, the four of you hear faint rustling coming from the road up ahead. The sounds are far away, but approaching fast.

Frojoe21
2005-05-20, 11:05 PM
Aeroz, Elf expert.

Finishing his lunch, Aeroz hears the faint rustling. He casually reaches for one of his rapiers, but does not draw it. Keeping his ear out for any other noises that might accompany the rustling.

Dr._Bob
2005-05-21, 03:41 PM
The rustling gets louder, and now you can hear squeaking and chittering as well. There is still no one visible on the road however.

Yoric_Steele
2005-05-21, 09:13 PM
Miles D'Arcy - Human Druid

*Miles, upon hearing the chittering, will ready his Scimitar and Shield prepared for something to jump up out of the grass.*

To the group, "Prepare yourselves! It sounds like we may have attracted some scavengers."

[OOC: It looks like Aeroz is getting his wish.]

Nyna
2005-05-22, 09:18 AM
Sheyra, Human Monk

Sheyra seems to ignore the rustling, concentrating on finishing what remains of her lunch. She does, however, stay alert, ready to move should any hostiles appear.

(Readied Action, on sighting of hostiles (assuming that they are indeed hostile) Sheyra will move backwards about 20 ft. to access the situation.)

(OOC: After this little situation we need to discuss the money again, I don't mind getting the 200 gp but I can't carry it, it's way too heavy for me.)

Frojoe21
2005-05-22, 11:23 AM
Aeroz, Elf expert

[OOC: You do mean asess, dont you? Anyway, the light crossbow isn't doing anything for me as of now. The range is too short, and I need a better ranged weapon. And a car.]

Aeroz will stand up, draw one of his rapiers and will move foreward slowly. When he gets close to the source of the noise, he will poke his rapier in any cover to draw anyone who is hiding out.

Dr._Bob
2005-05-22, 02:28 PM
Sedryn and Miles stand, weapons ready, while Sheyra continues munching on her trail rations.

Aeroz bares a rapier and moves forward towards the rapidly approaching disturbance, until he is about 30 ft from the rest of the group.




OOC: PM sent to Frojoe:

Aeroz sees a wave of small, black, wriggling rodents charging towards the party's little "picnic" at full speed.

The "front" of the wave of rats is about 20 ft wide. At its widest, the swarm is 10 ft "deep" from front to back.

Aeroz estimates that there might be over 500 rats in the swarm.

Frojoe21
2005-05-22, 03:54 PM
Aeroz, Elf expert

"RATS!!! I HATE RATS!!!"

Aeroz yanks out a dagger and tries to "shoo" them away.

Super happy sunshine full attack of DOOOOM
For hit +3/+3/+1
Damage: 1d6+1, 1d4+1, 1d4+1
Sending you the rolls daring

Dr._Bob
2005-05-22, 08:58 PM
Sedryn and Miles hear Aeroz cry out a warning as he draws a dagger with his left hand. In an eyeblink, a swarm of black rats sweeps over and around Aeroz.

Sheyra reacts quickly, cartwheeling away, giving herself some breathing room.

Yoric_Steele
2005-05-23, 05:50 AM
Miles D'Arcy - Human Druid

*Upon hearing Aeroz's yelp, Miles will cautiously move in the direction of Aeroz. He is waiting to see how large the threat is.*

[OOC: I don't know how far away Aeroz is, Miles will do a move-move action if it is practical. However, Miles is not planning to enter melee this round.]

Rodrick_the_Red
2005-05-23, 12:00 PM
Sedryn (Human Cleric)

Sedryn stands ready, mace in hand and shield slung, to bash any rats coming his way.

Nyna
2005-05-23, 08:42 PM
Sheyra, Human Monk

Cartwheeling backwards, Sheyra gets a glimpse of the swarm of rats. Her attention riveted by the horrific sight, she fails to make her landing and stumbles to the ground, falling on her butt as she looks on, eyes wide. She crawls backwards, never taking her eyes off the rats. "I... I... Oh my god..."

(OOC: Did I forget to mention that Sheyra has a tremendous fear of all things rodent? Guess I did. ;))

Dr._Bob
2005-05-23, 11:12 PM
The mass of rats overwhelms Aeroz; for a moment, he seems to be literally covered in small black rodents. He pokes and slashes about himself, killing several of the little beasts, but the swarm doesn't even pause. Like water flowing around a rock, the rats literally swarm over, under, and around Aeroz, then they move on, leaving him covered in tiny scratches.

In a few seconds, the swarm reaches Sedryn and Miles. Sheyra, farther back, watches in horror as they too are swallowed up by the mass of rats.



OOC: Aeroz kills 3 rats outright. He takes 2 points of damage.

Yoric_Steele
2005-05-24, 05:55 AM
Miles D'Arcy - Human Druid

*Miles will spend his entire round attempting to defensively disengage from the swarm. This may not be easy, but he would like to be able to cast a spell next round.*

Miles shouts, "Spread out! They may not be able to attack all of us if we are farther apart!"

[OOC: Sorry, short on time this morning.]

Rodrick_the_Red
2005-05-24, 11:34 AM
Sedryn (Human Cleric)

Sedryn tries to get out of the way of the swarm. Swinging his mace at any that approach. Once out of the swarm Sedryn will take a days rations and throw it down the road away from the party.

Dr._Bob
2005-05-24, 08:40 PM
Miles and Sedryn quickly move aside and watch in amazement as the rat swarm passes between them, a black writhing river of rodents 20 ft wide and 10 ft from front to back.

The rats pay them no mind, and keep scrabbling along, ignoring even the pack of rations Sedryn throws aside to distract them. Sheyra is directly in their path. She scrambles backwards, panic in her eyes, as what seems like 1000 rats rush towards her ...

Frojoe21
2005-05-24, 08:42 PM
Aeroz, Elf expert

Aeroz continues to hack away at the rats. He then takes a look into the area where the rats were spawned from. Still with his fear of all things swamy he still keeps a hackin'.

Sull attack +3/+3
Damage: 1d6+1, 1d4+1
HP: 10
AC: 17
Sending you the rolls daring

Yoric_Steele
2005-05-24, 09:02 PM
Miles D'Arcy - Human Druid

*Sensing an opportunity, Miles moves into action...*

*Miles will position himself to make sure the rat swarm is within range of his spell. Miles will cast Calm Animals on the Rat Swarm.*

Miles shouts, "I am attempting to calm the swarm, take no agressive actions against them!"

[OOC: If necessary Miles' first action is a move action to make sure the swarm is in range. Casting Calm Animals is his second action. The area of effect is a 30' radius, so it should effect the whole swarm.]

Nyna
2005-05-24, 09:44 PM
Sheyra, Human Monk

Sheyra, upon seeing the huge swarm of rats flowing towards her, shrieks and scrambles away as fast as possible on hands and knees, picking herself up as she goes until she is in a full-blown dash away from the rats, running as fast as possible until the rats are out of sight.

Rodrick_the_Red
2005-05-25, 11:55 AM
Sedryn (Human Cleric)

"Alright Miles, Give it your best!" says Sedryn as he moves towards his horse and mule to calm them.

Dr._Bob
2005-05-25, 09:42 PM
Aeroz slashes and thrusts at the trailing edge of the swarm, slaying another three or four rats.

Meanwhile, Miles gently sings to the rats, making pacifying gestures at the same time. The swarm stops in its tracks, and the individual rats begin to mill about purposelessly. Many of them turn around and look behind them, with almost a human expression of worry and fear on their pointy faces. They then disperse, disappearing into the underbrush.

When Sheyra sees that the rat swarm has dissapated, she circles back around to rejoin the group. Her eyes are wide and she is breathing heavily, more from panic than from the physical exertion.

Aeroz chases down individual rats for a while poking and stabbing until he has probably a dozen skewered on his rapier. Eventually, however, he tires of this "sport" and, like Sheyra, soon returns to the group.


OOC: Corrected the number of rats in my earlier posts (actually there were 600 rats). Miles manages to affect all 8 hit dice worth of rats with his spell.

Yoric_Steele
2005-05-26, 05:38 AM
Miles D'Arcy - Human Druid

*Miles turns to the group with a look of relief on his face...*

"Is anyone seriously hurt? I am really glad that worked. Sheyra are you going to be ok, would you like to rest for a few minutes?"

"We should pack up and move on just in case there are more swarms that might be nearby."

[OOC: DR, PM sent to you.]

Dr._Bob
2005-05-26, 02:25 PM
Other than the few scratches Aeroz received, no one appears to be hurt.

Your mounts were spooked at first, but they calm down quickly once the rats scatter, leaving you to wonder what that was all about.

It did not appear that the rats were necessarily targeting any of you specifically, but you definitely got the sense that the rats were running away from something ...

Frojoe21
2005-05-26, 05:17 PM
Aeroz, Elf expert

[ooc: Fewf. I am so glad Aeroz did't get the plague. He just got over it las month[/simpson reference]]

Patting up his scratches and making sure that nothing is infected [heal +2]

Aeroz then makes his way to where the rats swarmed out. If they were running away from something, he would find the source.

"Hate...rats...guhhhh"

Yoric_Steele
2005-05-26, 07:53 PM
Miles D'Arcy - Human Druid

*Miles agrees. Something serious must have sent those rats into a frenzy.*

"Ok everyone lets spread out a little and see if we can find whatever set off those rats...before it finds us first. I would rather be prepared."

*Miles will also begin using Tracking to check for evidence of preditors, etc.*