PDA

View Full Version : Into the East [closed]



Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

Rodrick_the_Red
2005-05-27, 09:36 AM
Sedryn (Human Cleric)

"Aeroz let me heal your wounds." Sedryn cast two Cure Minor Wounds chanting "Lathandar may your light send its healing touch."
Then taking up his weapons Sedryn joins the search for what ever spokked the rats.

Dr._Bob
2005-05-27, 10:55 AM
Aeroz's minor wounds are quickly healed by Sedryn's spell.

It doesn't take long for your group to follow the rats' tracks backward to a forested grove just off of the main road.

In the middle of the grove, you can see the ruins of an old stone building, perhaps a long abandoned and forgotten inn. A rotting wooden frame sits behind the overgrown walls, likely marking the location of an old well. A small hill sits directly in front of the crumbled stone walls.

It looks like the rats must have made their home in these ruins. There is no sign of what disturbed them however.

Miles notices that the area appears to be unnaturally quiet. The sun is shining brightly and the trees wave gently in the breeze, but there are no sounds or signs of life.

Yoric_Steele
2005-05-27, 04:16 PM
Miles D'Arcy - Human Druid

Miles says to the group, "Something isn't right with this place. I don't hear the natural sounds of birds and insects. I will circle around to the back side for a better look. Aeroz, how do you feel about a little stealthy skulking?"

*If the group agrees, Miles will cautiously circle around the grove to the right. He is hoping to get a look from a different angle.*

[OOC: DR, does this place look like it could be an abandoned Druid dwelling, or something similar?]

Nyna
2005-05-27, 10:25 PM
Sheyra, Human Monk

"I hate rats... I really, really hate 'em..." Sheyra shivers at the thought of the rats, then remains silent, eyes closed for a few seconds as she recollects herself.

"I'll be fine. Just... keep those things away from me!"

Frojoe21
2005-05-27, 10:43 PM
Aeroz, Elf Expert

Sheathing his weapons and readying his crossbow, Aeroz turns to Miles.

"Sure, why not, I'll tell you what I find."

With that, Aeroz runs off and dissapears, scouting the area for any danger.

[OOC: Hide +8, Move Silently +8, search +4]

Dr._Bob
2005-05-28, 09:08 AM
Miles circles around the the right. He wonders if this could be an old druidic shelter, but as he explores he realizes that the sharp angles and layout suggest a mundane building instead. Likely a small waystation or inn, long abandoned.

Aeroz circles around to the left. He slinks down into the underbrush and moves as silently as a snake. To Sedryn and Sheyra, who wait patiently by the little hillock in front of the ruins, it is as if Aeroz vanishes.

For all of his stealth, however, Aeroz finds nothing to explain the strange fleeing of the rats.

Frojoe21
2005-05-29, 12:12 PM
[OOC: Zen I Vill take 20 on ze check, for ze rules permit it, and the diceroller always gives me one high, one low, never random. Could I use nadaka's?]

Yoric_Steele
2005-05-30, 01:17 PM
Miles D'Arcy - Human Druid

*Miles will complete his circle of the ruins for the sake of completeness. Finally joining back up with Sedryn and Sheyra.*

Miles says, "I didn't see anything unusual, but I still have a very uneasy feeling about this place. We can either investigate further, or simply leave it alone and continue on our way. We don't know what may be inside."

[OOC: I will go with the consensus of the group, check it out or leave it alone.]

Rodrick_the_Red
2005-05-31, 12:26 PM
Sedryn (Human Clreic)

"I think we would do well to check out the buildings. I do not wish to be surprised on the road by something coming up on us from behind." Sedryn says reading himself to go into the ruins.

Dr._Bob
2005-05-31, 07:28 PM
As Sedryn says this, the small hill in front of the ruined inn comes to life. A ragged slit opens up in the center of the "hill" revealing a dark, musty crevasse.

A man-sized tendril of vines and grasses reaches out and grabs him around the waist before he can even swing his mighty mace. The "arm" constricts, picks up Sedryn, plate mail and all, and passes him to the open "mouth".

As Sheyra, Aeroz, and Miles watch in horror, Sedryn is swallowed whole ...





OOC: Actions can be posted here in the IC thread. Other online dice rollers are fine as long as the results are emailed to me at [email protected]

Initiative

Aeroz 19 (16 + 3)
Sherya 11 (9 + 2)
Miles 9 (4 + 5)
Sedryn 4 (3 + 1)

Current HP

Sedryn 13 (23 - 10)

Frojoe21
2005-05-31, 07:38 PM
Aeroz, Elf Expert

Still hidden, Aeroz draws his crossbow and loads a bolt. Taking aim and looking for a weak spot, Aeroz fires.

SH*T!!! That thing just ate Sedryn!!!

Ranged attack +5
AC 17
HP 12
Sneak attack +2d6
Nadaka's is down, so I'll use crappy racist Irony

Nyna
2005-05-31, 09:09 PM
Sheyra, Human Monk

Eyes wide, Sheyra shakes her head in a mixture of disbelief and horror as Sedryn is swallowed whole by the monster. ...And what am I supposed to do against that? Sedryn, you better get out soon... The girl slips into her fighting stance, not moving forward though ready to move in any direction should the beast come towards her while looking around to find some way she can possibly do something without getting eaten herself... perhaps climbing on top of it?

[Readied action, will tumble away if beast comes near]
[Spot to see if there is something she can climb nearby so that Sheyra can jump on top of the thing to pummel it. check +3]

(OOC: o_O Sedryn got eaten? Didn't see that coming...)

Dr._Bob
2005-05-31, 11:07 PM
Aeroz tries his best to judge what part of the "hill" might be a vital organ. Now that the monster is in motion, it appears to be a roiling mass of vine-like writhing tendrils with no obvious organs. His crossbow bolt sails directly into the center of the plant beast and disappears without having had any obvious effect.

Sheyra crouches, watching intently for an opening of some kind.

Yoric_Steele
2005-06-01, 08:26 AM
Miles D'Arcy - Human Druid

"What in the name of Chauntea is that!!!"

I wonder what that is...

*Miles will make reasonably sure he is not in melee with the creature, and cast Produce Flame.*

Next Round:

*Miles will make a ranged touch attack against the creature using the Produce Flame, dealing 1d6+3 damage.*

Rodrick_the_Red
2005-06-01, 08:27 PM
Sedryn (Human Cleric)

"Arrggh!!" Sedryn cries as he is swallowed by the plant thing.

{OOC - Edit to reflect what the PC's see}

Dr._Bob
2005-06-03, 10:49 AM
The plant monster reaches out another tendril towards Sheyra, but she easily dodges aside. The vines whistle past her and move towards Miles.

Fire appears in Miles' hand, and he burns the green, sinuous tentacle when it comes near. The vines rear back, as if in pain, however, the black scorch marks quickly disappear, healed almost in an instant.



Current HP

Sedryn ???

Yoric_Steele
2005-06-03, 08:27 PM
Miles D'Arcy - Human Druid

Next Round:

*Miles will make another attack with the Produce Flame spell. He is staying away from the creature as much as possible and still act.*

If we don't find a way to get Sedryn back soon, he is in real trouble...

Dr._Bob
2005-06-04, 12:27 PM
Two flaming arrows hiss out of nowhere and sink deep into center of the "hill". The damp vegetation almost instantly smothers the flames as the arrows vanish into the plant monster.

Sheyra continues to dodge the first tendril, but a second massive "arm" reaches out and catches Miles. Miles' hand is already wreathed in fire, and he sears the vines wrapped around his midsection. The vines sizzle, but are quickly replaced by new plant growth. Slowly and inexorably, Miles is dragged towards the "mouth" of the hill.

Aeroz fires another crossbow bolt into the plant monster from his hidden vantage point. I wonder where those flaming arrows came from ...

Frojoe21
2005-06-04, 01:24 PM
Aeroz, Elf Expert

Where did those flaming arrows come from? ;D

Aeroz stops his firing and begins to sneak towards where the arrows came from.

ooc: move silently +6, Hide +6, Search +2 Sent you the rolls daring. Nadaka's isn't working for me for some reason. Do any of you know of any other database online dice roller?

Yoric_Steele
2005-06-04, 05:00 PM
Miles D'Arcy - Human Druid

Oh crap! I'm in deep trouble!

Miles strains and shouts, "Try something blunt to smash the vines! I think acid or poison might work! HURRY!"

*Miles will attempt to cut himself loose using his scimitar...looking for a narrower spot on the vine.*

[OOC: Miles is not really trying to do damage, but I am hoping Miles can wriggle free.]

Dr._Bob
2005-06-05, 09:49 PM
Miles tries in vain to wriggle out of the tentacle's grasp. The few shallow cuts he makes with his scimitar quickly vanish as cut vines are replaced by new ones.

He is inexorably dragged closer and closer toward the plant monster's mouth ...

Aeroz leaves Sheyra to face the behemoth by herself, and instead edges his way towards the source of the flaming arrows.

He sees two travellers approaching from the direction of the road. One is a tall human cloaked in black. The other is a scruffy-looking halfling bedecked in leather and a motley collection of blues. They look back at Aeroz (who is no longer hidden behind the brush), but ignore him as they continue to try to attack the plant monster.

The halfling throws a light javelin into the roiling mass of vines. The human calmly nocks an arrow and fires it toward the behemoth's mouth. As the arrow leaves his bow, it bursts into flame, leaving a trail of smoke as it plunges into the "hill". Almost before the first arrow disappears, the archer has nocked and fired another arrow. It also bursts into flame, but it appears to have as little effect as the other arrows and the javelin did.

Just before Miles is swallowed up, he cries out, "Smash them!!! Smash them!!!" Then, like Sedryn, he disappears into the belly of the beast ...

Frojoe21
2005-06-06, 07:05 AM
Aeroz, Elf Expert

"I'm not going to ask what you are doing here, but what in the hells is that thing? By the way, do you have a flint? Those fire arrows seem to be doing some good, and two of my freinds have been eaten as of yet."

With that, Aeroz reloads his crossbow and lets a bolt fly at the beast.

The_King_of_Durf
2005-06-06, 07:43 AM
The Archer
"'Fraid I have no flint, and I also have no idea what that thing is, good to meet you, even under these circumstances." says the human as he fires another two arrows into the belly of the beast.
Damn, it frickin' ate that guy

Dr._Bob
2005-06-06, 12:10 PM
OOC: Combat summary of first 5 rounds is posted in the OOC thread.

HempRope
2005-06-06, 12:27 PM
The Halfling

The halfling stops a ways away froum the aggressive mound and takes up a warlike stance. He is bedecked in Leather and a motley collection of blues.
He chants in a guttural, hissing language* and waves his arms violently about. He then flings his torso sideways, hurling his arm out straight towards the mound, and a bolt of faintly bluish, viscous liquid shoots into the thing.

He cries in a harsh voice, "What beast is this that you fight, friends?"

*For those of you knowledgeable of Draconic, it is similar to that language.

Frojoe21
2005-06-07, 06:30 AM
Aeroz, Elf Expert

Aeroz reloads and fires again.

"Well, I dont know, but thanks for the help. What's your name?"

The_King_of_Durf
2005-06-07, 07:36 AM
Darius

"The names Darius, we were walking down the road, and we heard you so we came to check it out... I hope we're not hitting your friend in there he says as he takes out another two arrows and fires them at the monster, as he fires, before each arrow you can hear him muttering something under his breath, but its too quick and quiet for you to make it out

HempRope
2005-06-07, 08:53 AM
The Halfling

He briefly gives Aeroz an odd, intense stare.

"Who am I? I might ask the same question of you."

Dr._Bob
2005-06-07, 04:46 PM
Sheyra continues to tumble and dodge the plant's tentacles, but by keeping the monster engaged, she thereby allows Aeroz and the two newcomers to continue to attack the plant monster from a distance.

Aeroz's crossbow bolt and Darius' flaming arrows streak into the "hill" and are immediately swallowed up by new plant growth.

The halfling's spell strikes the plant beast with a hiss. Leaves and tendrils immediately begin to blacken and shrivel. A smoking foot wide circle appears on the surface of the "hill". The plant's tentacles recoil and wave as if in agony.


OOC: The halfling casts Melf's acid arrow causing 7 points of damage this round. The plant also takes 5 points of heat damage internally. Sedryn suffers 4 points of heat damage and 4 points of acid damage. Miles suffers 2 points of heat damage, but casts cure light wounds on himself and heals 5 points of damage.

HempRope
2005-06-07, 05:51 PM
The Halfling

The halfling immediately switched his attention back to the creature they fight, and perorms the same actions once more, finishing with a second acidic bolt flying at the creature.

Same thing. Cast Melf's a bit to the side of the hole from the first. Can I get a bit more info on how we're arranged, please?

Frojoe21
2005-06-07, 06:05 PM
Aeroz, Elf Expert

"The name is Aeroz, and my friends are currently being eaten by that thing. I would appreciate if you would give me your name so I dont have to call you Wottworte II."

Aeroz keeps firing at the monster.

The_King_of_Durf
2005-06-07, 09:45 PM
Darius
"Wotwortte? Whose that? And who is that girl down there as well, one of your eaten friends children. She seems pretty quick for a kid." he says as he draws his bow, firing another two arrows at the monster in rapid succession.
"Damn... things having trouble dying!"

Dr._Bob
2005-06-09, 11:29 AM
The giant plant creature seems to become increasingly agitated. It isn't clear whether the missles and acid are beginning to take a toll on the monster, or if something else is going on ...

Without warning, the plant's "mouth" opens and two bodies are ejected, along with some other debris.

The "hill" begins to retreat, crab-like, towards the deeper woods, its tentacles flailing madly.

The two regurgitated adventurers lie still. Steam rises from one of the inert bodies.

The_King_of_Durf
2005-06-09, 02:17 PM
Darius
Darius watches the strange beast retreat, wiating a bit before walking over to the bodies. "I didn't know their was two of them... are they dead?"

HempRope
2005-06-09, 03:21 PM
The Halfling

He emits a low (for a halfling) growl.

"Garrrrrrr... I will not let this menace escape!"

He moves into the clearing, stops abruptly, and goes though the same routine of sharp movements and harsh phrases, before releasing another acidic bolt at the creature.

"Don't let it get away!"

Frojoe21
2005-06-09, 04:04 PM
Aeroz, Elf expert

"Don't go after it. There is little point to it. You could do some good by helping those two."

Aeroz heads to his regurgitated friends. He begins to inspect their injuries and see if either Sedryn or Miles is in any danger of dying. [heal+2]

"And Wottworte is an old aquiantace of mine, a halfling. We got into a little trouble and ended up in jail. After we escaped, Wottworte went his own way."

The_King_of_Durf
2005-06-09, 09:01 PM
Darius
"Interesting... I'm afraid I'll be of no hope to your friends though." says Darius, checking the bodies for pulse.

Hmm, in and out of jail... I may have to be a little more careful around this group.

Dr._Bob
2005-06-10, 10:37 AM
The halfling's last spell misses as the plant creature retreats into the woods.

Both Miles and Sedryn lie still on the ground, covered in mucus.

Miles' eyes are open. He can blink and track with his eyes, but otherwise seems to be paralyzed. With great effort he manages to hiss between clenched teeth, "Ten ... dri ... culos ...".

Sedryn, on the other hand, lies unconscious, steaming like a poker just withdrawn from a fire. As Aeroz kneels down to check for a pulse, he almost burns his hand on Sedryn's armor, which is searingly hot.



OOC: Please keep track of any items or spells consumed. By my count, Aeroz fired 4 crossbow bolts. Darius fired 8 arrows. The halfling threw a javelin and cast 3 level 2 spells.

The_King_of_Durf
2005-06-11, 10:14 AM
Darius
"Does anyone have water or a potion? I think this man is still hurting!"

Uh-oh, I hope that wasn't my arrows that're making him steam like that...

Dr._Bob
2005-06-11, 09:42 PM
OOC: To help clarify exactly what's been happening, I posted some additional information about the battle in the OOC thread ...

HempRope
2005-06-12, 10:23 AM
The Halfling

The halfling gives a longing look at the retreating beast, but reluctantly returns to his hurt allies. Striding over, he makes a few more gestures and utters some more similar, harsh words.

When he reaches the rest of the group, he kneels a little ways from Sedryn and raises his little hands over the man's body. He starts to steam more.

Casting prestidigitation. Using the dampen ability to wet his clothes (fire resistance 2 for them, if you care), and then using the chill ability on his armor, to reduce the temp. by 40o.

Dr._Bob
2005-06-13, 11:12 AM
Sheyra runs over and begins trying to strip off Sedryn's armor as best she can. It is not clear that the halfling's spell is all that effective, but he does what he can to try to cool off the searing armor.

Meanwhile, Miles (still paralyzed) looks meaningfully at a small wand lying just inches from his outstretched fingers.

Frojoe21
2005-06-13, 04:21 PM
Aeroz, Elf Expert

Noticing the wand miles is trying to reach, Aeroz picks it up. Examining it and trying to remember when Miles had used it on him.

If Aeroz Can remember:

Aeroz will activate the wand and try to heal Miles and Sedryn

If Aeroz can't remember:

Aeroz will hand the wand over to the halfling.

"Hey, maybe you could make this work, cause I sure cant"

HempRope
2005-06-13, 04:23 PM
The Halfling

He will continue with the cooling & dampening.

If Aeroz gives him the wand he will do any & all proper investigations into its function.

Dr._Bob
2005-06-14, 11:14 AM
Aeroz and the halfling fumble with the wand of cure light wounds, trying this word or that.

Eventually, by mumbling, Aeroz seems to stumble upon the correct trigger word (or at least some semblance of the correct sound), and manages to dole out some healing to Miles and Sedryn.

Sedryn's metal armor cools rapidly, back to normal. With another "dose" from the wand, Sedryn regains consciousness. It is another minute or two, however, before the tendriculos paralysis wears off.


OOC: Three charges from Miles' wand are consumed.

The_King_of_Durf
2005-06-14, 03:30 PM
Darius
"Good to meet you, even if under these odd circumstances. The name's Darius."

Rodrick_the_Red
2005-06-14, 04:07 PM
Sedryn (Human Cleric)

After Sedryn recovers from the paralisys he turns to Aeroz and says "Thanks for healing me." Then kneeling facing east begins to pray, "Lathandar thank you for your aide in the belly of the plant creature. Now please heal your humble servant, that he may continue to spread your light in the world."

Looking better Sedryn turns to the party saying "I knew that heating my armor was going to hurt, but I did not think it would be THAT bad. Anyone else need help?"

Noticing the new faces Sedryn intorduces himself saying, "Greetings, I am Sedryn a priest of Lathandar sent by my Abbot to 'Travel toward moring and seek my fate.' Whatever that means, cryptic Abbots."


{OOC - Sedryn casts Cure Moderate Wounds on himself, healing 17 points (roll sent). How many HP of healing did Sedryn get from Aeroz and the wand?}

HempRope
2005-06-14, 06:58 PM
The Halfling

"Hello, Sedryn, I am Achkby."

Achkby

Achkby extends a hand to the intrepid meal.

Dr._Bob
2005-06-14, 09:14 PM
With the end of the combat, Sheyra sits down cross-legged and begins another deep meditation, leaving the five of you to make your introductions.

The debris regurgitated along with Miles and Sedryn appears to mostly consist of tiny bones (presumably representing rats who were unable to escape the clutches of the plant creature). A glint of metal or two, however, catches Aeroz's eye.



OOC: Sedryn is healed back up to 19 hp. Miles is back up to 5 hp.

Frojoe21
2005-06-14, 09:22 PM
Aeroz, Elf expert

Aeroz goes to the source of the glint of metal to see what it is. He picks it up and begins to examine it.

Yoric_Steele
2005-06-15, 05:34 AM
Miles D'Arcy - Human Druid

To our new friends, "My thanks for you help, we were sorely in need of it. My name is Miles D'Arcy, humble guide and Druid of Chauntea."

To Sedryn, "I would appreciate one additional healing spell if you can manage it."

[OOC: Sorry for the lack of posts from me, working 12-hour days this week. I will do my best to post in the evenings. Things should be back to normal soon.]

Rodrick_the_Red
2005-06-15, 10:34 AM
Sedryn (Human Cleric)

"Well met Darius and Achkby, thank you for your aide and welcome to our group." Sedryn greets the newcomers taking Achby's hand and shaking it firmly.

"Miles, I do have some spells left." Sedryn says as he goes over to Miles and chants, " 'Lathandar bless us with your healing that we might fight the darkness.' There that should be better."

{OOC - Sedryn casts 2 CLW one healing 9 points and one healing 10 points. Rolls sent to Daring Rogue}

HempRope
2005-06-15, 02:43 PM
Achkby, Halfling Sorcerer

"Thank you, Sedryn"

As Sedryn heals Miles, Achkby stands awkwardly to one side and glances around uneasily.

After an few uneasy moments, he says, "So... umm... where are you, ah, headed?"

Rodrick_the_Red
2005-06-15, 03:09 PM
Sedryn (Human Cleric)

"Right now we are headed to Velprintalar, to see the sights of the capitol city." Sedryn replies

"Miles is there a good place to camp close? I think we should camp soon and recover from our adventure." Sedryn says as he wanders over to check out the ruins.

Dr._Bob
2005-06-16, 10:49 PM
With more than half of the day gone, Urve is probably too far to reach by nightfall. Darius and Achkby are invited to stay if they want to.

With the rats and tendriculos driven away, the ruins of the inn seem like a relatively defensible place to make camp. It is said that animals and creatures of all kinds tend to avoid any area touched by a tendriculos. Judging by how difficult it is to coerce your mounts into staying within the ruined inn's walls, the legend likely has some basis in fact.

Miles scouts out the surrounding area, while Sedryn explores within ruins. The walls are irregular, having crumbled ages ago, but on average it still stands about 6 ft tall.

Sheyra meditates while Aeroz pokes around cautiously into the debris regurgitated by the tendriculos. There are many bones of small rodents, but there are also a few large bones, including some that might be humanoid. There are also some metal items - assorted coins (primarily copper and silver), some buttons, an ornate belt buckle, and a bracelet.

As evening approaches, everyone gathers for a light supper.



OOC: Please outline your plans for tonight (watch shifts, sleep, meditation, etc.). Unless otherwise specified, I will assume that heavy armor will be removed in order to sleep.

Frojoe21
2005-06-17, 07:07 AM
Aeroz, Elf Expert

Aeroz scoops up the bracelet and the coins before heading to dinner.

"Hey, can any of you find out of if this bracelet has any value other than being a bracelet?"


ooc: Aeroz will take first watch, considering that he needs the least sleep out of everyone. If anyone can detect any magic within the bracelet, Aeroz will wait till morning until he goes into further investigation. Now, thats about it untill I think of something else.

Yoric_Steele
2005-06-17, 07:38 AM
Miles D'Arcy - Human Druid

*Miles will offer to take first watch with Aeroz.*

To the group, "I suggest Sheyra and Darius take second watch and Sedryn and Jim take third. I think this way it will give the spellcaster the required amount of rest to regenerate spells."

"If anyone is short on food, let me know and I will see if I can find more."

Rodrick_the_Red
2005-06-17, 10:41 AM
Sedryn (Human Cleric)


Aeroz scoops up the bracelet and the coins before heading to dinner.

"Hey, can any of you find out of if this bracelet has any value other than being a bracelet?"

"Aeroz bring the treasures over here and will look at them." Sedryn calls.

Sedryn casts Detect Magic and examines the bracelet then scans the rest of the remains from inside the tendriculos looking for any magic aura. If any are found Sedryn share the information with the party.

"I will be happy to take third watch. For some reason, I always enjoy sunrise." Sedryn says as he removes his armor and prepares his bedroll and placing his shield within easy reach if he needs it in a hurry. Then he grooms his horse and mule, eats some of his rations, quietly prays for a while, casts Cure Light Wounds on himself and goes to sleep.

Upon being awaken for his watch Sedryn will don his armor and stand his watch.

{OOC - Sedryn's CLW results sent to DR, result 5}

Dr._Bob
2005-06-17, 11:26 AM
Sedryn studies the bracelet carefully. It is a simple silver band, tarnished (presumably from the stomach acid of the tendriculos).

As he focuses on the bracelet, he senses a faint aura of evocation magic. As he continues to examine the object, he notices faint letters inscribed around the circumference of the bracelet:

- A X E L A K A -.

The assorted coins are 20 cp and 13 sp.

The night is clear and quiet. The stars shine brightly and there is a gentle breeze.

The first watch is uneventful, as is the second.

However, just as Sedryn and Achkby are being awakened for their shift by Sheyra and Darius, Sheyra points out a faint moving light in the deep woods, perhaps a few hundred yards away.

"What is that?" she wonders.

Rodrick_the_Red
2005-06-17, 03:49 PM
Sedryn (Human Cleric)

"I think we should wake the others quietly and prepare a surprise for who or what ever is out there." Sedryn says as he readies his shield and mace.

The_King_of_Durf
2005-06-17, 05:47 PM
Darius
Darius takes out his bow and brings his hand to his quiver, he shakes the sleepers, waking them up and pointing in the direction of the light.
"Let's go check it out." he whispers.

Yoric_Steele
2005-06-18, 09:24 PM
Miles D'Arcy - Human Druid

*Miles rises from his blankets groggy, peering in the direction of the lights and rubbing his eyes.*

To the group, "I think we should be cautious. I for one can't see well in the dark. We could stumble into something like "Tendriculos"...or worse..."

*Miles will quickly ready himself and his gear.*

Dr._Bob
2005-06-18, 09:54 PM
Once everyone is awake, each of you slips out over the ruined walls and creeps carefully toward the mysterious source of light. Only Sheyra remains behind to guard the encampment and your gear.

Aeroz takes the lead, with his excellent night vision, and the rest of you spread out somewhat behind and to the side. You make your way through scrub brush and around small trees toward the light.

After what seems like an hour (but is likely only 10 minutes), Aeroz hisses and signals for everyone to drop down. Even those of you without low-light vision can see a small campfire burning in a small clearing only 60 ft away from your position.

A silhouetted humanoid is sitting by the fire shivering and trying to get warm. It looks like the humanoid is trying to get the fire going using only small wet sticks. The fire is very smoky and seems to be on the verge of going out. The humanoid blows desperately on the fire to try to keep it going. He or she seems completely unaware of your nearby presence.

Aeroz is able to see that the humanoid is a human male. He appears to be completely naked.

Frojoe21
2005-06-18, 10:14 PM
Aeroz, Elf Expert

ooc: Aeroz Did take the bracelet after Sedryn Examined it

"Hey, who are you?"

Rodrick_the_Red
2005-06-19, 12:51 AM
Sedryn (Human Cleric)

Sedryn moves forward to greet the humaniod.

"Greetings fellow traveler, be at peace we mean you no harm. We are traveling this road and are camped near by, tell us your story of how you came here and how you got into your present state." Sedryn calmly says.

If he appears to be about to attack Sedryn will cast Charm Person.

{OOC - If Aeroz wanted the bracelet, Sedryn gave it to him.}

HempRope
2005-06-19, 01:14 AM
[Achkby argued about not having a watch, saying he was quite capable, but eventually conceeded that he did indeed need the sleep to prepare spells in the morning. He was also wary of sleeping so near to a plant mound monster.]

Achkby, Halfling Sorcerer

Achkby hisses some more guttural phrases and with a few sharp gestures throws a glow over the stranger. He then stands up and comes out after Sedryn.

Oh, um, right, Casting Dancing Lights.

Dr._Bob
2005-06-19, 09:19 PM
The human leaps up and spins around, startled. The dancing lights flood the clearing with illumination, both partially blinding the man, and prompting him to try to cover up his privates with his hands.

As he stands and spins, he accidentally kicks dirt onto his sputtering fire. It dies instantly.

He cowers before you, clearly scared to death, "Please! Please, don't hurt me!"

In the light from Achkby's spell, you can see that the man is not just completely nude, he has also seems to be badly injured - his arms, legs, and face appear to have been scratched by thorns, and his back and torso are covered with red, angry burns - very similar to those that had been inflicted on Miles and Sedryn by the acid in the tendriculos' stomach.

Rodrick_the_Red
2005-06-20, 12:52 AM
Sedryn (Human Cleric)

"Easy my good man. We mean you no harm. I am a priest of Lathandar, come with us and we will provide food, shelter and clothing, while you give us your story. I will also tend your wounds, but if fear there is little I can do until morning." Sedryn says in a comforting tone of voice.

Sedryn hooks his mace to his belt and motions for the man to come back to the camp.

The_King_of_Durf
2005-06-20, 12:18 PM
"Are you sure we can trust him?" Darius whispers to Sedryn. "I know he seems like a good enough guy, but I'm still a bit freaked out... I'll be keeping an eye on him." Darius then speaks up loud enough for everyone to hear him, "Yes, come with us, if anything, you could use some clothes...". Darius prepares to attempt to grapple the man if he does anything stupid.

Rodrick_the_Red
2005-06-20, 03:32 PM
Sedryn (Human Cleric)

"No, I am not sure we can trust him but we have little choice, we can't leave him like this." Sedryn whispers back.

Once back at camp Sedryn will examine and treat his wounds. Gives him some food and asks, "Who has some colthes?"

{OOC - During the exam Sedryn will try to determine the nature of his wounds. Are they acid burns or fire burns?

Healing +8
Rolls emailed

Determine injuries 17
Heal injuries 14.}

Dr._Bob
2005-06-20, 10:22 PM
Trembling, the man accepts your offers of aid. Someone passes him a cloak, which he uses to cover himself.

Sedryn had enough time, however, to observe the stranger's wounds closely. They appear to be chemical or acid burns, rather than damage from actual flames.

When you return to your camp at the ruined inn, Sheyra offers him some food, which he greedily downs.

Once he has warmed up a bit and eaten, he seems to calm down a bit and begins trying to explain what happened to him. He is a young man, perhaps about 21 years old, lanky and pockmarked from acne.

"I am Corwyn of Urve. I wish I could tell you how I ended up in the woods like this, but I honestly don't know. I was hunting for rabbit in the Yuirwood, checking my traps ... I got a leg tangled up in some vines, I think ..."

His brow furrows as he tries to remember what happened next, then shakes his head, frustrated.

"Next thing I know, I'm lying naked in the middle of a clearing, nearly freezing to death. I tried to make a fire using some sticks, but it wasn't going very well. I'm not sure I would have survived the night if you hadn't rescued me!"

When Sedryn points out his burns, he looks surprised to see them.

"I hadn't even noticed! What in the lands happened to me?"

Yoric_Steele
2005-06-20, 10:24 PM
Miles D'Arcy - Human Druid

*Miles will stand behind Sedryn while he examines the stranger. Miles will be ready to act if Sedryn is attacked or harmed in any way.*

To Sedryn, "Sedryn, I still have one small healing spell left for today. Let me know if you want me to use it on this man."

[OOC: After Sedryn is done examining the man, and if Miles thinks there is no danger he will cast Cure Light Wounds.]

Rodrick_the_Red
2005-06-21, 10:38 AM
Sedryn (Human Cleric)

"Corwyn where is Urve and the Yuirwood? We are new in the area and do not know the local places. What is your position in Urve?" Sedryn continues the questions.

{OOC - How wounded is he? Do I tell Miles to cast his spell?}

HempRope
2005-06-21, 04:28 PM
Achkby, Halfling Sorcerer

While the others talk and associate with the man, Achkby moves into the clearing and scans the area with his spel. While he has never really known what one should look for in a situation such as this (or, for that matter, any other unexpected situation), he has some natural aptitude for searching and getting by in the wild. Assuming nothing untoward is discovered, he'll return with the rest of the group and stand by as they interrogate and administer aid to the man.

Frojoe21
2005-06-21, 05:47 PM
Aeroz, Elf Expert

Aeroz moves to a spot where there is little in the way. He dons the bracelet.

"Uhhh...Axelaka?"

Aeroz winces and hopes for the best.

Dr._Bob
2005-06-21, 09:28 PM
Achkby surreptitiously examines the clearing by the light of the full moon and the dancing lights. He finds nothing remarkable, except for Corwyn's pitiful attempt at making a fire using just a couple of sticks.

Sedryn judges that Corwyn is indeed in need of healing, though Corwyn himself seems almost unaware of his injuries, perhaps out of shock and disorientation. Sheyra takes on almost a motherly role, despite the fact that she is his junior by several years.

Corwyn appear to be a simple commoner. He lives in one of the poorer sections of Urve and makes a meager living as a trapper. Most villagers are wary of the dangers of the Yuirwood, but necessity forced Corwyn to take deeper and deeper forays into the dark woods.

Aeroz sits by himself some distance away from the others fiddling with the bracelet. He closes one eye and turns away as he intones, "Axelaka!" Nothing happens ...

The_King_of_Durf
2005-06-21, 09:34 PM
Darius
"So are you heading back to Urve? That's on the way for me and Achkby. I''m heading in that direction, although I'm not sure where everyone else is going." Darius says, a little hesitantly. "Maybe you could come with us"

(OOC: Maps are life-savers, aren't they?)

HempRope
2005-06-22, 12:23 AM
Those two maps show the Yuirwood at very different distances from Vcapital, whatever it's called.

Achkby, Halfling Sorcerer

The halfling looks up at the mention of his name, but doesn't say anything. He moves in closer to the conversation.

Dr._Bob
2005-06-22, 05:21 PM
In between bites of bread, Corwyn indicates that he would very much like to return to Urve. He seems ravenous and eats two rations worth of food.

He gratefully accepts Sedryn's healing, then lies down, wrapped in the borrowed cloak, and sinks into a deep slumber.




OOC: @HempRope - The second map is a bit zoomed in and shows more detail, but otherwise is exactly the same as the first. Right now, you are camped about 2/3 of the way from Ingdal's Arm to Urve.

Frojoe21
2005-06-22, 08:12 PM
Aeroz, Elf Expert

"Well, what do we do with him? We need to get to Velprintalar very soon. Also, I think I'll keep this little charm. It may come in handy as soon as I figure out how it works."

Aeroz speaks a few more words: Axel, Lexa, Aka Lexa and that sort of stuff.

[OOc: So, we rested. XPXPXPXPXPXPXP

The_King_of_Durf
2005-06-22, 08:50 PM
Darius
"So, you're headed to Velprintar? Do you live there? I live in Corth... well, I sort of live there... it's on the way if you don't mind having us around for a bit. Should we bring this guy with us, or just point him in the right direction? Darius says.
Then he pulls Achkby aside for a moment and whispers to them. "I don't think they live in Velprintar, earlier Aeroz was saying something about them and his halfling friend getting in trouble with the law... they seem nice enough, but still... we should be careful."
He then walks over to the rest of the party with a smile. "Nice night isn't it? Should any of us be on guard duty tonight?

Dr._Bob
2005-06-22, 09:56 PM
There are only a few more hours left until sunrise. Most everyone has had enough sleep to get by, but there is a little time left for meditation or study for those who require it.

As Aeroz plays with the silver bracelet, he tries pronouncing various combinations of the letters in the inscription. Without warning, his feet rise a few inches off of the ground, and he finds himself drifting lazily about the campsite.

HempRope
2005-06-22, 10:26 PM
Achkby, HAlfling Sorcerer

Without warning, his feet rise a few inches off of the ground, and he finds himself drifting lazily about the campsite.
Achkby immediately leaps to his feet, and cries, "My God, man! What is going on!?"
He takes up some sort of odd fighting stance, and his eyes dart around.

Frojoe21
2005-06-23, 03:22 AM
Aeroz, Elf expert

"Whoaaaa!!! I though evocation was blasting stuff? It appears I'm floating Sedryn so did you make a mistake?"

Aeroz tries to control his flight/float/levitation by shifing his weight and willing himself place to place.

Yoric_Steele
2005-06-23, 08:42 AM
Miles D'Arcy - Human Druid

*Miles watches Aeroz with casual interest. He wonders if the braclet might be a convenient tool for spotting things further away.*

To the group, "If no one needs me, I am going to rest for a while longer so I can regain my spells at dawn."

*Miles will estimate how long it will take to reach Urve tomorrow.*

[OOC: DR, I am assuming that Miles cast CLW even though I didn't see a specific roll made for it.]

Dr._Bob
2005-06-23, 10:40 PM
After a minute or two of experimentation, Aeroz finds himself able to control his altitude as he drifts slowly upward and downward. After a few minutes, however, the magic wears off and he gently descends to the ground.

Sedryn looks chagrined at having mis-identified the magical aura of the bracelet the first time around, but fortunately no harm was done.

Miles estimates that it will take about 4 hours to reach Urve in the morning. He then closes his eyes to rest up until sunrise.

...

As dawn breaks, Sheyra rekindles the fire in preparation for a light breakfast.

Corwyn awakens ravenous again, but as he eats another double set of rations, he begins to look uncomfortable. He clutches his stomach and leans over gagging. He retches twice, and vomits on the ground. Always observant, Aeroz spots a glint of gold in the emesis.

Frojoe21
2005-06-23, 10:46 PM
Aeroz, Elf Expert

Eww, gross

Casually drawing a rapier, Aeroz pokes in the vomit, trying to hook the glint of gold onto the finely crafted blade. If he does not have any luck, he will try and drag it out with his boot.

"Well, the bracelet was an interesting experience. This could be a useful little trinket. Now, lets see what's in this pile of spew..."

[ooc: Just for reference, what do I call the bracelet for the sake of my inventory. I'm going with bracelet of floatyness.]

Dr._Bob
2005-06-23, 10:50 PM
Aeroz picks up the gold item with the tip of his rapier.

I appears to be a gold signet ring. As Aeroz looks closer, he recognizes it as one of the rings given to your group by Prozen.



OOC: @Frojoe - Bracelet of levitation.

HempRope
2005-06-24, 12:26 AM
Achkby also slept. And meditated for all spells minus 1 0-lv.

I will be away from tomorrow morning until Sunday night. I apologize for the short notice.
Play me if you will, but I'd rather Achkby doesn't die.


I weep with Detroit this night. :'(

The_King_of_Durf
2005-06-24, 08:48 AM
Darius slept as well. "Disgusting..." he says. "Why are you sifting through his vomit?" he says to Aeroz

Frojoe21
2005-06-24, 09:59 AM
Aeroz, Elf Expert

"This is the reason"

Aeroz shows the ring his finger, and the other ring on his rapier.

"They are the same, and I have a sneaking suspicion we havent been told everything."

The_King_of_Durf
2005-06-24, 10:19 AM
Darius
"Hmm? I'm getting confused..." Darius says, taking a few steps back from Aeroz and Corwyn. "What you mean, we haven't been told everything? Is this man working with you? What is going on?"

Frojoe21
2005-06-24, 10:43 AM
Aeroz, Elf Expert

Aeroz wipes the ring on the ground and pockets it. He does the same for his rapier.

"No, I have never met this man in my life. I see you dont trust me, with good reason. The ring I have was given to me by a man named Prozen. Me, Wottworte, Sedryn and another man by the name of Lithandril were in Hlondleth when we were framed for a murder. Prozen, who was working for the queen I suspect, snuck us out of jail and put us on a ship to Venprintalar to track down the true assasin. We had to get off a little early because of Sheyra. Miles met us in Indgals Arms and offered to guide us to Velprintalar. Now, what is your story, now that I have told you ours?"

The_King_of_Durf
2005-06-24, 02:56 PM
Darius
"My story... sadly, has ended. I suppose yours continues as we speak, since you are headed to Velprintar, but my brother was... that's besides the point, actually. Anyway, I lived in a very small village, you would never have heard of it though. Invaders came from eastern lands and burned it, but my brother and I escaped. We... split up and I came to Ingdal's Arm to replenish my supplies after a trek through the Yuirwood, I met Achkby in a tavern there, and we watched the events that took place at the mud bowl. We set off on the path to Corth, and heard your battle with that Tendriculous thing, so we decided to help... that's pretty much it."

(OOC: Damn, what a long post!)

Frojoe21
2005-06-24, 03:14 PM
Aeroz, Elf Expert

"Mud bowl, eh? The girl, Sheyra placed 4th. She got drugged actually. I helped unravel that and get Urgal out of town."

The_King_of_Durf
2005-06-24, 03:37 PM
Darius
"Yes, I recognized you a little... So this man also works for Prozen?"

Frojoe21
2005-06-24, 06:27 PM
Aeroz, Elf Expert

"I wouldn't know. It is worth investegating once I get a chance."

Rodrick_the_Red
2005-06-24, 07:10 PM
Sedryn (Human Cleric)

Sedryn will arm himself and meditate for his spells.

"Aeroz, I beleive that ring may be mine. The one I had is missing and I was so intent on treating him that he could have swiped it and I would have never known." Sedryn says, then turns and addresses Corwyn, "Ok, time to tell the truth this time or we leave you here as we found you. I don't like people stealing from me while I am helping them."

{OOC - Sorry about not posting, life and work have been pretty busy.}

Dr._Bob
2005-06-24, 07:38 PM
Corwyn begins to tremble. He looks both confused and scared.

"I swear to you I have no idea where that ring came from! I would never have repaid your generosity by stealing from you! You have to believe me! The last thing I remember was hunting in the woods, then waking up in the clearing last night ..."

He begins to look a little green around the gills again and vomits a second time.

This time, there is no gold, but you note that he's regurgitated a variety of small bones - rat bones by the looks of it.

The_King_of_Durf
2005-06-24, 09:50 PM
Darius
Darius takes a quick step back. "What in the name of-" he pauses and turns around as if to speak with the party, then whips back, his bow in his hand and an arrow notched, aimed towards the mans throat. "Alright! You tell us what the hell is going on, now!" he yells in the guy's face. "I don't trust thieves, and this guy seems pretty damn suspicious." he says to the party.

Yoric_Steele
2005-06-24, 10:58 PM
Miles D'Arcy - Human Druid

*Miles rises and moves a short distance away from the campsite in the morning. Facing the rising sun, he kneels in the damp grass softly humming to himself. A short time later he stands smoothly and rejoins the group.*

[OOC: After the vomitting incident...]

*Miles stays a short distance away from the stranger. Miles strokes his chin observing the manner and movements of the fellow.*

There is something very odd about this man...

Rodrick_the_Red
2005-06-25, 07:11 PM
Sedryn (Human Cleric)

"Let me think, I seem to remember a diese that might explain this." Sedryn says.

{OOC - Trying a knowledge Healing +8 check.}

Dr._Bob
2005-06-25, 09:59 PM
Corwyn kneels, trembling, as Sedryn examines him.

By the morning light, Sedryn notes a greenish tint to Corwyn's skin, particularly affecting the "whites" of his eyes. Corwyn's greasy hair also has a greenish sheen to it and his unwashed locks almost take the appearance of vine-like tendrils.

Sedryn considers an interesting diagnosis ...

The_King_of_Durf
2005-06-25, 10:07 PM
Darius

Darius keeps his bow trained on the man while Sedryn examines him. If he makes any sudden movements, Darius will fire an arrow into his leg. "Well, what's going on?"

Dr._Bob
2005-06-27, 02:55 PM
Miles, standing a safe distance away, answers Darius' question grimly, "Lycanthropy. Though a kind I have to admit I am not familiar with ..."

Corwyn stands up very slowly, his hands raised. "W-w-what do you mean?" he stammers.

Beams of sunlight begin to pierce the trees around the ruined inn as the sun rises. Corwyn slowly backs toward the shadows in a corner of the crumbling stone walls, avoiding any patches of sunlight.

Frojoe21
2005-06-27, 03:01 PM
Aeroz, Elf Expert

"A werewolf? That is not good. Not good at all?"

Aeroz draws one of his blades and approaches Corwyn.

"Ok buddy, Step out and dont go all wolfy on me ok? Its ok, just step out."

HempRope
2005-06-27, 03:49 PM
Achkby, Halfling Sorcerer

Achkby smiles at Aeroz.

"Wolfy? I don't think he's a werewolf, and I think we may have met him before."

He turns an odd grin on the man.
"Though you looked rather different at the time..."

Frojoe21
2005-06-27, 03:53 PM
Aeroz, Elf Expert

"Wait, your saying hes a were-tendricu-thigy?"

The_King_of_Durf
2005-06-27, 04:56 PM
Darius

"Ah yes... I suppose we have met him before, haven't we?" Darius says, tightening his hold on his arrow, and pulling it back all the way. "It's not that we don't like you, it's just that we'd rather not be eaten... what are we gonna do?"

Elmorwen
2005-06-27, 06:43 PM
Sheyra, Human Monk

Sheyra sits by the fire, listening to the conversation. "That's strange," she adds after a moment of silence. "It was the middle of the day when we fought that monster. Don't werecreatures usually come out under the full moon?"

Rodrick_the_Red
2005-06-27, 07:02 PM
Sedryn (Human Cleric)

"Yes, Sheyra is right! We need to keep im out of the sunlight." Sedryn exclaims. "Let me see if there is anything I remember about treating this."

Sedryn will retreat some and stares into the sunrise concentrating on remembering.

Yoric_Steele
2005-06-27, 08:31 PM
Miles D'Arcy - Human Druid

*Miles will move and confer quietly with Sedryn, perhaps pooling their knowledge will help clarifiy the situation.*

To the group, "Friends, please keep a careful watch on our "friend" here. I think he is still dangerous, in spite of his current appearance."

[OOC: I apologise for the lack of posts in the last few days. My internet connection at home has been VERY unreliable. I am working on the problem and hope to have it fixed soon. Thanks for understanding.]

[OOC2: A warm welcome to our new player (of Sheyra)...]

Dr._Bob
2005-06-28, 12:54 PM
Miles and Sedryn confer while Darius and the others keep an eye on Corwyn.

If indeed Corwyn is the tendriculos, then that would explain the acid burns on his skin and the regurgitation of Sedryn's ring and the rat bones ...

Also, the moon is full (just one day after the festival of Highharvestide), but on the other hand, as Sheyra pointed out, the tendriculos appeared in the daytime whereas Corwyn's human form appeared at night ...

Miles points out that plants generally are "active" during the day (blooming, turning leaves toward the sun, etc.) whereas wolves and other common "were-predators" tend to be nocturnal, so maybe the rules of usual lycanthropy don't apply ...

It isn't clear whether Corwyn actually knows that he is the tendriculos and is just acting/lying or if he genuinely is unaware of the situation ...

...

As Sedryn and Miles talk things over, the early morning sunlight begins to inch ever closer towards the shaded corner where Corwyn crouches - trembling, confused, and fearful - as Darius keeps his bow and arrow trained on him.

Frojoe21
2005-06-28, 01:42 PM
Aeroz, Elf Expert

"So we keep him out of the light until we figure what to do with it. My father used a spell a couple of times that kept an entire area darkened when I stayed with him last. Do any of you know a spell like that?

[OOC: Sorry bout that]

The_King_of_Durf
2005-06-28, 01:51 PM
Darius
"Hurry up and decide, the sun is rising, and I suspect we don't have much more time..." Darius says, at first snapping, and then nervously. He speaks without taking his eyes, or his arrow, off of Corwyn.

Elmorwen
2005-06-28, 05:06 PM
Sheyra, human monk

"We need to keep him in the shade, at least. Does anyone have a blanket or something that we could block the sun with?"

Dr._Bob
2005-06-28, 09:29 PM
Aeroz has a heavy winter blanket. Sheyra and Aeroz try to cobble together a kind of canopy to try to keep the sun off of Corwyn. Despite their best efforts, pinpoints of light peek through weave of the heavy woolen cloth.

As the sunlight dapples Corwyn's skin, his veins seem to bulge beneath the skin, becoming almost vine-like ropy tendons ...

The_King_of_Durf
2005-06-28, 10:07 PM
Darius
Darius frowns for a moment, then says sadly "It's nothing against you, but I'd rather not see anyone eaten again pal, 'specially not me" then fires a flaming arrow, point blank towards Corwyn's throat, he then steps back a little, "Dammit. I was hopin there'd be an alternative"

Urgh, I really wish I didn't have to do that, he seems like a nice guy, but once he changes we'd have no way to stop him.

Frojoe21
2005-06-28, 11:23 PM
Aeroz, Elf Expert

"Why the hell did you?!?!?...wait, are you absolutley positive that would kill him?"

Aeroz looks in disgust and waits for an answer.


[OOC: That is an incredibly selfish and evil act. I did something half as worse and I got threatened with an XP penalty. Speaking of XP...]

The_King_of_Durf
2005-06-28, 11:48 PM
"What else could I do? He would've ate us, just like before." Darius says.

(OOC: Yeah that was kind of evil, but I figured Darius would do that, and being a tendri-thing I don't think he'll be dead/OOC)

Yoric_Steele
2005-06-29, 06:30 AM
Miles D'Arcy - Human Druid

*Miles moves closer to the man, just as Darius lets loose his arrow. Miles has a look of disappointment on his face, realizing this may be the only way to deal with this menace.*

"I don't condone killing things unnecessarily, however sometimes it is necessary to pull some weeds so the rest of the garden can grow..."

*Miles draws his scimitar and readies his shield, prepared for a fight...*

[OOC: My network connection seems to be stable again. *crosses fingers*]

Rodrick_the_Red
2005-06-29, 10:03 AM
Sedryn (Human Cleric)

Sedryn feeling despondent for not finding an answer in time readies his heavy crossbow with a silver arrow and steps away from Corwyn.

"I'm not sure it will be that easy." says Sedryn.

Dr._Bob
2005-06-29, 09:36 PM
The flaming arrow pierces Corwyn's throat and exits through the back of his neck, shattering into a shower of sparks on the stone wall behind him.

He falls backwards with a surprised look on his face.

As the rest of you ready your weapons, Corwyn lies flat on his back, his eyes open, staring up into the cloudless sky.

Frojoe21
2005-06-29, 10:06 PM
Aeroz, Elf Expert

Aeroz lets out a loud sigh. He looks at the man tragically. Aeroz gathers together leaves and piles them on Corwyn's corpse. He then procedes to light them on fire, cremating Corwyn.

"What a shame. Perhaps we could have helped him, but just in case, he wont be coming back anytime soon. Lets hope he does rest in peace, bah. Sedryn, your better at this stuff than I am."

Rodrick_the_Red
2005-06-30, 12:33 AM
Sedryn (Human Cleric)

"If only I had chosen my spells differently. I could have asked for Darkness but I didn't and now this." Sedryn chastises himself for failing to cure the wounded man.


"What a shame. Perhaps we could have helped him, but just in case, he wont be coming back anytime soon. Lets hope he does rest in peace, bah. Sedryn, your better at this stuff than I am."

Hearing this Sedryn pulls himself together and says, "Aeroz your precautions should do the trick. I will pray for him and try to put his soul to rest."

Yoric_Steele
2005-06-30, 05:55 AM
Miles D'Arcy - Human Druid

*Miles moves over to the body and assists Aeroz, making sure the body is being consumed by the flames.*

[OOC: DR, is the body being consumed?]

Miles intones, "Chauntea we return this soul to your care, and hope he may find peace in your warm sunlight."

The_King_of_Durf
2005-06-30, 09:25 AM
Darius silently brings down the canopy that was constructed above Corwyn, letting the sun shine down on him, he whispers a silent prayer, then watches the body burn.

Elmorwen
2005-06-30, 10:32 AM
Sheyra, Human Monk

Sheyra sighs. So much injustice in this world...

"It wasn't his fault," she says, as if to remind them, "But the two of you who were swallowed might want to try and stay out of the light for a while. We don't know how this type of lycanthropy is transmitted."

Dr._Bob
2005-06-30, 11:45 AM
As you add more leaves and branches to fire, the flames leap up higher and higher until you've created a respectable funeral pyre for poor Corwyn.

It takes a few hours for his body to be completely consumed. By the time everyone has packed up and hit the road to Urve again, it is almost noon.

The mood is somber and no one speaks too much as your party (enlarged by two new members) heads east. Matching the sad mood, the sky darkens in the afternoon, and you ride quietly through a light drizzle until you arrive in the small village of Urve just as the sun is setting behind you.

You encounter no other travellers on the road, and when you arrive in Urve, there appears to be little activity except around the village inn/tavern - the Copper Pot - where a dozen or so villagers are gathered for a supper.

Rodrick_the_Red
2005-06-30, 11:51 AM
Sedryn (Human Cleric)

"Shall we go in and eat?" asks Sedryn

Frojoe21
2005-06-30, 12:39 PM
Aeroz, Elf Expert

"Sure, after all of that I'm starving for a half decent meal that isnt stale bread and preservatives"

The_King_of_Durf
2005-06-30, 01:42 PM
Darius
"Yes, let's... and I suppose we should tell the villager's of Corwyn's fate, to avoid causing them even more trouble..."

EDIT: (OOC: Please read my sig, I'll be leaving tomorrow for Albany, but I'll probably be able to post every now and then. Sorry./OOC)

Yoric_Steele
2005-06-30, 09:27 PM
Miles D'Arcy - Human Druid

*Miles glares sharply at Darius.* "I strongly suggest we keep quiet until we know what is going on in this village. Perhaps he had family in this village, we don't want to incite an incident over his death."

*Miles will break off from the group and check out the village, and to see if anyone is observing or following him or the group.*

The_King_of_Durf
2005-06-30, 11:08 PM
Darius
"We don't have to tell them the absolute truth... we could twist it a bit, but yes, let's wait first" Darius says, shrugging and heading to the tavern

Frojoe21
2005-06-30, 11:58 PM
Aeroz, Elf Expert

Aeroz follows Darius into the bar. Once in, if there is no commotion, Aeroz will order something hard.

[ooc: Can I level up now?]

Rodrick_the_Red
2005-07-01, 12:11 PM
Sedryn (Human Cleric)

"Yes, I think its best not to say anything about or encounter with the beast." Sedryn agrees with Miles.

Sedryn will follow Darrin and Aeroz into the bar and order a meal and an ale.

Elmorwen
2005-07-01, 12:44 PM
Sheyra, human monk

Sheyra follows quietly, and once inside orders a glass of water and some bread.

The_King_of_Durf
2005-07-01, 10:02 PM
Darius
Darius will order a meal and some mead.

(OOC: I'll be able to post on and off for a while, but only and nighttime, I won't be able to post when I go to camp though)

HempRope
2005-07-02, 11:36 PM
Wow... the summer has started! Sorry I haven't been posting I've both (a) been busy and (b) had no or slow internet for a while, but I'll try to get on at least once a day now. It's good to be back.

Achkby, Halfling Sorcerer

Achkby, too, goes in, and orders some liquor. Halfling sized.

Frojoe21
2005-07-03, 01:20 PM
Aeroz, Elf Expert

[ooc: A pint? ;D]

Aeroz gets his meal and grabs a table for his companions.

Rodrick_the_Red
2005-07-04, 12:13 PM
Sedryn (Human Cleric)

After all of his companions are seated and have been served Sedryn says, "I plan to quietly resupply and spend the night then leave early tomorrow morning. Aeroz and I need to get to Velprintalar as quickly as possible. Leaving the ship has delayed us too much already."

HempRope
2005-07-04, 12:48 PM
Achkby, Halfling Sorcerer

Achkby glances at Darius, but then goes ahead and speaks to the cleric.

"Sedryn, I have been wandering about for quite a while, now, but at the moment I have no destination in mind. In our brief time together, I have grown to respect all of the members of this group. I would love to accompany you and your companions to Valprintat, if you would have me. Would you mind having another body on your travels?"
He glances about, a bit apprehensively.

Frojoe21
2005-07-04, 02:26 PM
Aeroz, Elf Expert

"Well, we could use all the help we could get. I'm not sure how far Miles is willing to go, and there is a history of members breaking off of the group, but sure. You can come. Besides, a little arcane boom boom would help us a lot."

Aeroz takes a swig of hooch.

"By the way, how do you feel about being chased by assasins?"

The_King_of_Durf
2005-07-04, 03:46 PM
Darius

Darius nods at Achkby "If it's all the same with you, I'd like to come along as well. It's not like I've been going anywhere, and assassins can't be worse than Corwyn."

HempRope
2005-07-04, 06:03 PM
Achkby, Halfling Sorcerer

Achkby looks at Aeroz suspiciously at the mention of assassins, but then grins, relaxing, as if mere assassins aren't nearly so bad as what he was expecting.

"Hmmm... assassins could be worse than Corwyn, but I'll risk it anyway. You seem to be a pretty safe group to travel among. Thank you for letting me accompany you."

Dr._Bob
2005-07-04, 09:00 PM
As you settle in with your drinks and a light supper, you converse quietly.

The locals eye your group appraisingly, but not necessarily in an unfriendly manner. The conversation seems to mostly revolve around the unrest to the east and south of Aglarond. You catch snippets of opinions about the unrest in Unther and Thay as both regions chafe under the rule of the Mulhorandi.

Of particular interest are recurring conversations about a spate of disappearances in the woods outside of town. The locals seem to feel safe enough in their village, but you overhead many whispered warnings about avoiding the deep forest of the Yuirwood.

Frojoe21
2005-07-05, 10:42 PM
Aeroz, Elf Expert

"So, once we get to velprintalar, what are your plans then? Sedryn and I have some important business to take care of. Also, we need to send word to Lithandrill and Boris. We need to find a courier while we are here."

The_King_of_Durf
2005-07-06, 12:40 PM
Darius
"I don't truthfully know... I wasn't planning to go anywhere, but I guess I never do. I suppose we could stick around Sheyra while you attend to your business. There are still a few towns along the way, so I think we have a while."

Rodrick_the_Red
2005-07-06, 03:08 PM
Sedryn (Human Cleric)

"Well, although the business Aeroz and I must tend to is important, we needn't tend to it alone. I will happily accept any help offered." Sedryn says as he finishes his ale and inquires about a room for the night.

Elmorwen
2005-07-06, 05:12 PM
Sheyra, human monk

"I can go with," Sheyra says. "I owe you that much at least. Besides, I'm not sure the Mulhorandi have given up on me yet, and I have a job to do."

The_King_of_Durf
2005-07-06, 05:55 PM
Darius
"Well then it seems as though your business is now ours as well.

Frojoe21
2005-07-06, 06:30 PM
Aeroz, Elf Expert

Aeroz finishes his meal and stands up.

"Well, I'm gonna go send word to Boris. I'll be back in a couple of minutes, so dont leave"

Aeroz goes and tries to find a courier.

Dr._Bob
2005-07-06, 09:38 PM
Aeroz sends a message back to Ingdal's Arm by courier (for 10 gp).

Then he and the rest of your party retire for the night. All six of you slumber deeply after your tiring and disturbing journey, but you awake refreshed, ready for a new day.



OOC: Aeroz, Sedryn, and Sheyra level up. Details in the OOC thread. I'd like everyone to update their character sheets to reflect any ammunition used up, items lost, rations consumed, and gold spent. Don't forget the gold left over from the Mud Bowl ...

Yoric_Steele
2005-07-08, 08:14 AM
Miles D'Arcy - Human Druid (3rd)

*Miles decides to take a look around Urve, taking the time to chat with the locals and spend a few silver on trinkets. He is hoping to gather more information about the strange local activities.*

To the group, "My intention is to continue leading all of you to Velprintar. I consider us now to be comrades in arms, and will gladly do what I can to aid you."

[OOC: Curses! Not quite enough for a level. Oh well, tomorrow is another day.]

Rodrick_the_Red
2005-07-09, 10:08 AM
Sedryn (Human Cleric)

After waking in the morning and saying his prayers, Sedryn has breakfast at the inn, readies his horse and mule, then sees about picking up a few things before leaving.

"My good man where can I pick up some rations for me and grain for my animals for the road, troches and tinder twigs?" Sedryn asks the inn keeper before heading off.

Sedryn follows to the innkeeper's directions then haggles for a weeks worth of rations and grain, 2 torches and 5 tinder twigs.

{OOC - How much did I spend for the ale, dinner, breakfast, a nights lodging and on the shopping trip?}

The_King_of_Durf
2005-07-09, 07:56 PM
Darius will follow silently when the party leaves Urve.

((Just posting to say I will be gone Sunday-Friday, I'm off to camp.))

Dr._Bob
2005-07-11, 11:57 AM
In the morning, the village seems much more active than it did last night. You notice that there seem to be many more elves living in this part of Aglarond than were present in Ingdal's Arms (which was almost completely human).

Miles rises early and spends the morning chatting with the local merchants. He finds out that about a half dozen or so villagers have disappeared within the past 6 months. Almost all had been lost while exploring the Yuirwood, and therefore most everyone has been giving the deep woods a clear berth.

Your group keeps quiet about Corwyn and decides that the tendriculos mystery is going to have to wait to be solved another day.

Pressing on, you head northeast to Urst, keeping the dark Yuirwood to your right. The journey is uneventful. Eventually, you leave the Yuirwood behind and the road becomes wider and more easily traversed.

As you crest a hill, you look down on Urst, a small port on the shore of the Sea of Fallen Stars. The town looks quiet enough, but as you enter through the western gate, Aeroz sees something disturbing ...

Posted on the large wooden doors are sheets of paper with the latest "news" from the ships passing through the harbor.

Most of the notes detail the usual political intrigues as Unther and Thay attempt to free themselves from Mulhorandi rule.

One note in particular catches Aeroz's eye. It details the capture and execution of a halfling named Wottworte Riffleraffe, who was captured in Hlondeth shortly after assassinating a Thayan ambassador and retinue.

The note mentions that the halfling's compatriots - a large human in spiked armor, an elf rogue with twin rapiers, and a human spellcaster - are still at large and are thought to have fled to the East. A 100 gp bounty has been offered for their heads. They are considered quite dangerous.






OOC: For simplicity - 2 gp covers lodging, stabling, and any incidentals like meals and beverages. Other purchases will be standard PHB prices.

Frojoe21
2005-07-12, 10:56 AM
Aeroz, Elf Expert

[OOC: its a good thing I sold one of my rapiers while I was out sending the letter]

"Poor Wottworte. Never gotta chance to defend himself. Well, what now?"

Dr._Bob
2005-07-12, 06:07 PM
The composition of the party has changed enough since the journey began that Aeroz and Sedryn do not feel that they are likely to be identified as the fugitives as long as they keep a low profile.

On the other hand, by now the Sea Lion has undoubtedly reached Velprintalar by sea. If anyone was waiting in Velprintalar for either Aeroz, Sedryn, and Lithandrill (or for Sheyra), they now know that you jumped ship along the coast, so there might be people along the road to Velprintalar looking for you.

Still, there seems to be little alternative to pressing on along the road to Velprintalar ...



OOC: Is everyone done levelling up?

HempRope
2005-07-13, 02:11 PM
Achkby, Halfling Sorcerer

The halfling looks over Aeroz's shoulder (figuratively -- he actually peers about his waist) to read the note.

"Aha! Wottworte. That's where you got that name.
Did you know the fellow, then, or did you just hear of him?"

I didn't realize the connection until I saw DR's post, and Achkby only has 1 more point of Wisdom than I do. :P

Rodrick_the_Red
2005-07-14, 11:13 AM
Sedryn (Human Cleric)

"Hmm, human spell caster, not very descriptive. Still we should keep out of trouble and move quickly to Velprintalar." Sedryn says.

Sedryn asks around for a good inn and after receiving directions suggests the party head that way.

Frojoe21
2005-07-14, 11:32 AM
Aeroz, Elf Expert

"I knew him, but nows not the time. Miles. How far is it to the next town?"

Dr._Bob
2005-07-14, 11:19 PM
The next few days pass uneventfully. As your party journeys from Urst to Corth, the road becomes wider, smoother, and better maintained. You see many more travellers on the road toward Velprintalar, the majority of whom seem to be elven. There are enough humans and other representatives of the Free Peoples on the road, however, that your party does not seem out of place.

By the end of the third day on the road, you find yourselves on the west bank of the River Vel, just a few miles from the capital city, Velprintalar. You are forced to stand in a long line of travelers and merchants that are waiting to cross the fortified bridge spanning the river.

Banners flap in the breeze above a brightly colored open pavilion at the entrance to the bridge. A detachment of Gray Elves in shining armor guards the entrance while elven officials query each party that attempts to cross the bridge. On occasion, the officials ask to inspect packages or carts.

The other travelers around you sigh and groan as they wait their turn for inspection by the "customs agents."

The_King_of_Durf
2005-07-15, 08:32 PM
Darius
"Well, as far as I know I'm clean." Darius says, then he turns to Aeroz and Sedryn, "But they might give you a bit of trouble, especially now that they caught and killed your friend... we either try our luck with the guards, or If you have any better ideas..."

Frojoe21
2005-07-15, 09:22 PM
Aeroz, Elf Expert

"Well, since lithandrill left and Sedryn's description was very vague, we probably wont get any trouble."

Dr._Bob
2005-07-15, 10:29 PM
After what seems like an eternity, your party is at the front of the line. A scowling elf bureaucrat looks down his nose at your group - an elf rogue, a trio of human men, a young human girl, and a halfling.

"What a motley crew ..., " he sneers condescendingly in elvish.

He addresses Aeroz, assuming that the elf is the leader of your group. "What business have you in Velprintalar, cousin? And who might your traveling companions be?"

Frojoe21
2005-07-15, 10:51 PM
Aeroz, Elf Expert

"We're just travelling there to handle some business. These are some friends of mine. Thats it. Anything else you want to know?"

[OOC: Wait, I'm the leader now? Geez. Also, I dont think a bluff check is required, mainly because Aeroz wasnt lieing, or telling the truth. If necessary then Bluff +6, Diplomacy +6]

Dr._Bob
2005-07-17, 10:40 AM
The elf takes down your names and waves you on.

You cross the wide bridge and make your way up the road over a series of green hills until you find yourselves looking down on a large, sprawling metropolis with a patchwork of simple, but elegant buildings surrounding a vast, walled harbor.

It seems as though hundreds of ships cram the harbor, flying flags of a variety of nations. There are merchant ships of all descriptions, a number of white warships belonging to the Royal Navy, occasional black sailed ships that remind Aeroz, Sedryn, and Sherya of the Mulhorandi raider they tangled with not so long ago.

You ride down into the city, and (vaguely remembering the advice of Angela, Tiriel, and Si'rene) you make your way to the Foreign Quarter (where most non-elves live) and check yourselves and your mounts in at the Sword and Shield. The rooms there are large and clean, and at dusk you have a simple, but tasty supper in the quiet dining room.

The night is young, and you have arrived in the Big City.

Frojoe21
2005-07-17, 10:52 AM
Aeroz, Elf Swashbuckler

"Its a shame we couldn't stay on the boat. We could have reached Teflamm by now. It has been a rough couple of days, so why dont we take a break or something."


Aeroz moves over to Sedryn and whispers

"We should drop by and pay a visit to Angela and the others while we are here. Didn't Prozen mention something about some guy, Baran? We should go see him too."

Rodrick_the_Red
2005-07-18, 10:50 AM
Sedryn (Human Cleric)

"Yeah he did, said we could find him at the Boars Head. Maybe we should check it out and then look up Angela and her friends." Sedryn whispers back.

Dr._Bob
2005-07-18, 11:09 AM
While the others are washing up after the long journey (the Sword and Shield provides warm baths and clean towels), Aeroz and Sedryn get directions to the Boar's Head from the innkeeper.

They leave a note for the other members of the party in case anyone wants to join them later, then they slip out into the night and make their way to the noisy, apparently very popular tavern, just a few blocks away.

Aeroz and Sedryn slip in to the Boar's Head and grab a small table when one opens up. The Boar's Head features many popular local brews on tap, as well as the famed Rashemi firewine - jhuild.

As Sedryn peruses the winelist, he comments that Aeroz doesn't look well. Aeroz realizes that he is in fact feeling a little lightheaded. The autumn air is cool, but Aeroz's skin is clammy with small beads of sweat appearing on his forehead.

Frojoe21
2005-07-18, 11:22 AM
Aeroz, Elf Swashbuckler

"Ugh. I really dont feel good. Sedryn, got any spells that'll cure this one. Ugh."

[OOC: What now? A cold? A flu? Contagion? Alchohol poisoning? Pneumonalultramicroscopicsivolcanioniosis?

Rodrick_the_Red
2005-07-18, 11:26 AM
Sedryn (Human Cleric)

"Aeroz, you're right you don't look good. Let me look at you." Sedryn says as he examines Areoz.

{OOC - Healing check to determine what is wrong with him.

Rolled 11}

Dr._Bob
2005-07-18, 11:35 AM
Sedryn checks the whites of Aeroz's eyes and palpates some lymph nodes. He observes a couple of scratches on Aeroz's skin that don't seem to have healed as well as one might have expected.

"Hmm ... I hate to say this, but this looks a lot like filth fever. You must have gotten it from those rats we ran into several days ago ..."

Frojoe21
2005-07-18, 11:38 AM
Aeroz, Elf Swashbuckler

"What?!?! What the hell does that mean? Is it lethal? What does it do? Can't you cure it?"

Aeroz tries to calm himself down, but his hands are shaking.

Yoric_Steele
2005-07-18, 04:41 PM
Miles D'Arcy - Human Druid

*Feeling better after a pleasant bath, Miles wanders back downstairs to the common room. After reading the note, he decides to go look after his companions. Especially in light of what happened after the Mud Bowl.*

*Miles will ask the barkeep of the Sword & Shield directions to the Boar's Head. Upon receiving them, he will head out the door.*

Dr._Bob
2005-07-18, 09:14 PM
Miles arrives at the Boar's Head in time to see Aeroz frantically asking Sedryn how long he has to live. Aeroz's discomfiture is quite amusing actually, and with a chuckle Miles sits down to join Sedryn and Aeroz for a drink. A comely barmaid comes by to take orders from the three of you.

The atmosphere is pleasantly chaotic here in the Boar's Head, with occasional cheers and clinking of glasses and sporadic singing of drinking songs and adventuring ballads.

The beer and wine must be strong here because the crowd seems quite jolly and uninhibited. A pair of muscular fighters (presumably the bouncers of this establishment) works the crowd, gently but forcefully ejecting any troublemakers. One eyes the three of you suspiciously, but then moves on.

HempRope
2005-07-19, 12:09 AM
Achby, Halfling Sorcerer

Achkby lingers a bit refreshing himself after the long journey. He had been in the wilderness for quite a long time before running into Darius, even, and so took quite a long time reacclimating himself to civilization.

Coming down from his room and a nice bath, he narrowly misses Miles, but finds the note nonetheless and decides to follow after Aeroz & Sedryn.

Leaving the inn, he briefly ponders turning in early, but decides, It's the sort of thing one should do, considering the circumstances, and my role in all of this. I should follow them, or accompany them or... whatever else.


When he enters the pub, he has a bit of trouble spotting the trio among the crowd, but eventually does pinpoint them and sidles over.

Dr._Bob
2005-07-19, 01:01 PM
The four of you sit chatting and drinking for a while. The alcohol agrees with you (even Aeroz begins to look a little less pale), and soon you are all feeling fairly relaxed.

The barmaid returns with another round. As you reach for your steins, you find a note folded under one of the them.

"Back room."

The_King_of_Durf
2005-07-19, 01:49 PM
Darius will follow the group to the bar once he goes down and finds the note.

((I was on a plane all day yesterday but I can post from Seattle))

Rodrick_the_Red
2005-07-20, 12:50 PM
Sedryn (Human Cleric)


"What?!?! What the hell does that mean? Is it lethal? What does it do? Can't you cure it?"

Aeroz tries to calm himself down, but his hands are shaking.

"Relax Aeroz, 2 to 4 days bed rest should make you whole and though I have no spells that will cure it, I do have spells that will lessen its effects." Sedryn reassures Aeroz. "Let's finish what we came to do then get you in bed."

Sedryn heads toward the backroom looking like a man in search of the privy.

Frojoe21
2005-07-20, 05:19 PM
Aeroz, Elf Swashbuckler

Aeroz head to the backroom with Sedryn, releived that he will be fine, but still incredibly nervous..

Dr._Bob
2005-07-20, 05:35 PM
Darius arrives at the Boar's Head just in time to see Aeroz, Sedryn, Miles, and Achkby slipping into a dark hallway toward the back of the establishment.

He works his way through the crowd to that hallway, passes a pair of doors leading to the privies, and finds himself in front of a stout wooden door leading into a back room.

Presumably the others are in the room already.

Frojoe21
2005-07-20, 05:49 PM
Aeroz, Elf Swashbuckler

Aeroz opens the door. If it is locked, Aeroz will knock on the door and wait for a response.

Aeroz waits pateintly for whatever is coiming next

Dr._Bob
2005-07-20, 08:25 PM
Aeroz, Sedryn, Achkby, and Miles enter the back room through a stout wooden door. The room is dimly lit, and it takes a moment for everyone's eyes to adjust (except for Aeroz who has no trouble with low light conditions) ...

The room is simply furnished with a large table in the center. A hooded lantern on the tabletop is the only source of light. A large, bearded man stands and indicates some chairs for everyone to sit on. He moves behind you and bolts the door.

"I was beginning to think that you four weren't going to make it. I am Baran, and I have been expecting you."

He turns to Achkby. "I had heard that you might have been captured and killed. I am glad to see that the reports of your demise have been greatly exaggerated!"

"Well, since time is of the essence, let me get right down to business. Prozen sent me a message warning me to look for the four of you, and directing me to give you any assistance necessary to enable you to recover the Kris of Sethra."

There is a quiet knock on the door. In an instant, Baran is on his feet, a pair of loaded hand crossbows raised and pointed at the door.

"I wasn't expecting any additional company. Were you?" he whispers.

HempRope
2005-07-21, 11:10 AM
He turns to Achkby. "I had heard that you might have been captured and killed. I am glad to see that the reports of your demise have been greatly exaggerated!"
Achkby looks at first confused, because he has never met this man before, but then it dawns on him what the man means, and he hurriedly shakes his head vigorously up & down.


"I wasn't expecting any additional company. Were you?" he whispers.
Achkby glances nervously at Aeroz, but then speaks himself. "Well... we did pick up some travelling companions on the way here, but they weren't with us when we got the notes..." he whispers back.

Frojoe21
2005-07-21, 11:26 AM
Aeroz, Elf Swashbuckler

"The man is fine. He poses no threat. So, what information do you have for us. Also, what is the fastest way to get to Teflamm. We lost a lot of time and we must catch up."

Rodrick_the_Red
2005-07-21, 11:45 AM
Sedryn (Human Cleric)

"Yes we need to catch up but first we must rest a few days." Sedryn says looking pointedly at Aeroz.

"Baran, we saw a notice in a few of the towns about Wottworte's death and descriptions of the band with him. Is it true or just a cover?" Sedryn asks.

Yoric_Steele
2005-07-21, 03:23 PM
Miles D'Arcy - Human Druid

*Miles quietly observes his surroundings and the tone of the conversation. While no immediate threat is visible, he remains guarded in case things get ugly. He keeps a sharp eye on the "hosts".*

I wonder exactly who I have gotten involved with. Something just doesn't seem right with these people...

The_King_of_Durf
2005-07-21, 05:20 PM
"Sorry, I'm hope I'm not intrudng" Darius says as he slips into the room, "I'll just sit here and keep quiet, then?"

He takes a seat and watches Baran warily until he puts down the crossbows.

Dr._Bob
2005-07-23, 11:28 PM
Rewind the story slightly ...


Baran looks suspiciously at Aeroz, Sedryn, Achkby, and Miles as the knocking at the door continues. Baran quietly steps over toward the oak door, unbolts it, then steps back with both hand crossbows raised.

Darius steps into the room, but then freezes when he sees Baran's weapons trained on him.

"Oh, he's alright. He's just a traveling companion we picked up along the way, " Aeroz offers, trying to reassure Baran.

Darius tries to explain. "Sorry, I didn't mean to intrude. I saw my four friends follow you into the back room, so I just wanted to make sure everyone was OK. My name is Darius."

When Baran doesn't lower the crossbows, Darius adds, "I'll just sit here and keep quiet then?" Darius cautiously edges over to a chair and sits down gingerly.

"All right, what's going on? Who are you people?" Baran turns to face the five of you, keeping you covered with his crossbows.

Baran frowns at Sedryn (who asked the question about Wottworte's death), then he looks at Achkby with narrowed eyes. "You, then, are not Wottworte." He then looks at the others. "Perhaps the rest of you are not the ones I've been expecting either ..."

He looks pointedly at the gold signet rings that Aeroz and Sedryn are wearing. "Explain who you are and how you got those rings ..."



OOC: Sorry things got so confusing.

When Baran saw a halfling, an elf, and two humans (with Aeroz and Sedryn wearing Prozen's gold signet rings) arrive at the Boar's Head, he assumed that the four of you were Wottworte, Aeroz, Lithandrill, and Sedryn. He is obviously partly right and partly wrong.

Darius followed everyone to the back room and was the source of the knocking.

I tried to reconcile the posts each of you made as best I could with the summary above.

Frojoe21
2005-07-24, 09:04 AM
Aeroz, Elf Swashbuckler

"We got these rings from a man named Prozen in Hlondeth. We were told by Prozen to seek a man named Baran out once we arrived at Velprintalar. Lithandrill is stuck in a bar somewhere, and as have heard, Wottworte is dead."

Aeroz shifts in his chair slightly. He doesnt seem sure of anything now, but that probably is because he is still mildly worried about the disease.

HempRope
2005-07-24, 10:29 AM
Thanks, DR, I tried to explain my confusing in the OOC thread, but nothing got cleared up...

Achkby, Halfling Sorcerer

As Aeroz begins to recount the details of his travels, Achkby straightens up a bit in his chair (though this doesn't add much to his height) and fixes his attention on the storyteller.

Good. Now maybe I'll figure out why their companions have changed so much as they've travelled... and exactly what they're trying to do, anyway.

Dr._Bob
2005-07-24, 03:57 PM
Eventually, Aeroz is able to convince Baran that he and Sedryn are the fugitives he was expecting. Achkby, Darius, and Miles are introduced as trusted traveling companions. It is established that Lithandrill and Wottworte are no longer traveling with the rest of the company.

Finally, Baran lowers the crossbows and apologizes for almost shooting Darius. "It takes many days for news to travel from the West to the East and vice versa. I suppose that much has occured on your journey that Prozen is unaware of."

"Let me try to summarize the situation for you as best I can." Baran pulls up a chair and sits down.

"I was once a citizen of Hlondeth, and at one time was a lieutenant of Prozen, when he was a Commander in the Queen's Army. I now live in Velprintalar, obviously, but I remain loyal to Lord Prozen and to the Serpent Queen.

"As you may know, the citizens of Thay, here in the East, chafe under the thumb of their Mulhorandi overlords and desire freedom and independence. The Queen of Hlondeth is sympathetic to their plight, and invited a delegation of Thayan officials to Hlondeth to establish diplomatic relations.

"The assassination of the Thayan ambassador in Hlondeth while under the care of the Emerald Guard has dashed those hopes. Lord Prozen has reason to believe that powerful agents within the Emerald Guard allowed the assassination to take place, in league with Mulhorand and the Shadowmasters of Telflamm.

"Because you (Aeroz, Sedryn, Lithandrill, and Wottworte) witnessed the assassination, the Emerald Guard needs you silenced. Blaming you for the assassination would have been a convenient way to have you quickly executed (and it would seem Wottworte has already fallen victim to this). Prozen put his own life at risk to enable your escape.

"Lord Prozen and the Queen dare not act openly, lest the Emerald Guard decide to stage a coup or set up another 'assassination.' Only if the true assassins are captured will the truth be revealed. With evidence of the involvement of the Shadowmasters, Prozen will be able to root out the traitorous elements within the Emerald Guard.

"The Thayan ambassador, who was reputed to be a formidable wizard, was carrying the Kris of Sethra, a powerful artifact. The assassins took the Kris, and it would appear that the Shadowmaster assassins felt that they should be allowed to keep the artifact as "payment" for the assassination.

"In an interesting twist, Mulhorand and the Shadowmasters now are at odds on this issue. Mulhorand expected and demanded that the Kris be returned to them. When the Shadowmasters refused to turn the Kris over, the Mulhorandi began using their black ships to blockade Telflamm from the sea. Ships have been unable to travel to or from Telflamm since Highharvestide, leading to a great loss of trade revenue and stranding many travelers here in Velprintalar.

"Herein lies a glimmer of hope for you and your mission. The Shadowmaster assassins are likely stuck here in Velprintalar for the time being. If you act quickly, you have a chance to find them and recover the Kris. You will be able to prove your innocence and you will have done a great service for the Queen of Hlondeth, who will no doubt be very grateful.

Baran looks at your confused faces.

"Well, I can see that political intrigues do not interest you. Fair enough ...

"The bottom line is this: the assassins you seek are very likely still here in Velprintalar. Find them and the artifact they stole, and you will be richly rewarded and the bounty on your heads (Aeroz and Sedryn) will be lifted."

Rodrick_the_Red
2005-07-24, 07:23 PM
Sedryn (Human Cleric)

"Sorry about the confusion. This is good news about the assasin being stranded in the city. Do you have any leads on where to look. Aeroz and I only got a fleeting look at her before she fled." Sedryn replies.

The_King_of_Durf
2005-07-24, 07:23 PM
Darius

"Wow, you really have been through a lot... Darius says, trying to sort the whole long story out in his head. "Have any leads?"

Frojoe21
2005-07-24, 07:42 PM
Aeroz, Elf Swashbuckler

"The only lead we have is that she was a pretty young thing with red...hair...hmmm. Thats not much of a lead is it now? Baran, is there any other information you can give us? Wait, I just had a thought, but I figure its fairly unlikely. Remember Si'rene? She was cloaked when we met her, as was the assasin. She had auburn hair, which could easily be mistaken for red, couldn't it? Nah, too unlikely."

Dr._Bob
2005-07-24, 09:13 PM
Baran nods.

"The assassins you seek have been tentatively identified as members of the Order of the Rose, mercenaries often used by the Shadowmasters for their 'dirty work.'

"We suspect that the cloaked, red haired female assassin you encountered was Mira ar-Temerlain, one of the Order of the Rose's most skilled killers. Don't trust too much in the hair color you saw. She is a master of disguise, and likely changes hair color the way you might change hats. Mira already has a reputation here in the East, but when the Thayan entourage was slain, Mira did not work alone ...

"Many of the Thayan ambassador's bodyguards were slain by a masked female warrior wielding a blazing longsword. Witnesses also reported seeing arrows that twisted and chased their targets like magic missiles. We suspect the involvement of a hidden arcane archer.

"In other words, we believe that you are seeking a trio of individuals, at least two of whom are female. They are crafty and dangerous. On the other hand, if they are stranded here in a presumably unfamiliar city, perhaps they can be flushed out ..."

Frojoe21
2005-07-24, 10:07 PM
Aeroz, Elf Expert

"Then this might be bad. I may just be working out a solution that seems the easiest to comprehend, but this is kind of scary. Their actions aboard the Sea Lion when the Re attacked do seem suspicious. Thank you Baran, and just as a question, do you have a cure or something from Filth Fever. Apparently I contracted it, and I really hope that it isn't contagious. Sedryn, I beleive that we should pay our three friends a visit tomorrow. Darius, you should come with us. Miles, Achby, both of you seem like the persuasive type. Perhaps you could find us a way to Teflamm? We dont have much time as of now, so I think we should get to where we have to go soon."

HempRope
2005-07-26, 10:04 AM
Achkby, Halfling Sorcerer

Whoa. Well... that explains... it, I guess. Or most of everything. I really should know all of what's going on, though...

"Well, I'd be happy to do whatever I can to help, but I'd really like to know what you are all involved with. I won't desert you regardless of what you've been doing, but I'd like to have some idea of what I'm getting myself involved with.
"The simplest way, I suppose, would be to tell me our story from the time you witnessed the assassination. Though, of course, I don't need to hear every single detail..."

I didn't read any of this thread when I was joining up, so I don't really know your story. However, I did read the first few pages as they were taking place, so I know the story up until your first imprisonment by the Emerald Guard. Would it be easier to just have me read the story over, or just tell me?

The_King_of_Durf
2005-07-26, 02:23 PM
Darius
"Alright, I'll come with you then. Do you think I could pass for Lithandrill?" Darius says with a little chuckle. On hearing Ackby's question he nods a little, but also shrugs like he doesn't really care too much.

(OOC: I read it before I joined, but Darius hasn't)

Dr._Bob
2005-07-26, 10:47 PM
Baran shifts his chair backward a few inches involuntarily, and covers his mouth and nose with his hand.

"Filth fever? By the gods, have you been living in the sewers? I've seen people waste away to almost nothing from that disease, but I know of no medicinal cure. I hope you are good terms with your elven gods, because I suspect that only divine intervention will heal you of that contagion."


After agreeing to meet back in the Boar's Head the next night, the five of you return to the Sword and Shield. On the way back, Aeroz tells Darius and Achkby the short version of the story:

"Sedryn, two others, and myself were unlucky enough to witness a Thayan murdered in Hlondeth by a red headed woman who could walk through shadows. We were framed for the murder, but we escaped thanks to a man named Prozen, who directed us to Baran here in Velprintalar. Our mission is to find the real assassin and recover the Kris she stole, in order to clear our names.

"On the way to the East, our ship was attacked by Mulhorandi who were after an Untherite fugitive. We took that girl, Sheyra, under our wing, and she has been travelling with us ever since.

"We found ourselves in Ingdal's Arm at Highharvestide, where we got mixed up in the Mud Bowl and met Miles. On the road to Velprintalar, we ran into the tendriculos, and the rest of the story you know. Ah, here we are ..."

You have arrived at the Sword and Shield. Aeroz looks pale, and beads of sweat cover his brow and upper lip. You all retire for the night, planning to make an early start of it in the morning.

The_King_of_Durf
2005-07-26, 11:15 PM
Darius

Darius will down a shot of ale, say a prayer by the window, and go to bed. He'll stay awake for about an hour, mulling everything over in his head, and then go to sleep.

Rodrick_the_Red
2005-07-27, 12:28 AM
Sedryn (Human Cleric)

Sedryn explains to Aeroz as he treats him, "Filth Fever causes a loss of agility and stramina. I should be able to cure you in the next few days and use spells to heal any loss of agility or stamina."

Once finished Sedyn retires for the evening, waking early to pray and prepare his spells.

{OOC -

Heal: +9 +2 (Healers kit)

DR you can roll}

Frojoe21
2005-07-27, 02:31 PM
Aeroz, Elf Swashbuckler



"Alright, I'll come with you then. Do you think I could pass for Lithandrill?"

"No, if one of them is an archer, we need our own. You were pretty good when we were fighting the tendriculous, so I have full confidence that you can hold your own.


"Filth Fever causes a loss of agility and stramina. I should be able to cure you in the next few days and use spells to heal any loss of agility or stamina."


"Well I hope you can get rid of it fast. I dont like being slowed down or weakened one bit"

Yoric_Steele
2005-07-27, 02:43 PM
Miles D'Arcy - Human Druid

Hmmm, I seem to be a little out of my element here...intrigue was never my strong suit. Now a nice thunderstorm on the other hand...

To Sedryn, "Sedryn I will be happy to assist you in treating Aeroz. Perhaps if we combine our skills we can speed his recovery. What do you think?"

*Miles will retire to bed early as well, waking early in the morning and praying/meditating for his spells.*

[OOC: Miles will assist Sedryn with his Healing skills as wanted and needed.]

Dr._Bob
2005-07-27, 06:14 PM
As Sedryn and Aeroz enter the Sword and Shield, one of them remembers that Angela, Tiriel, and Si'rene said that they live in a guild house in the Merchants Quarter.

Sheyra joins the group for a late supper (more of a midnight snack). After getting updated on the meeting with Baran, she shudders to hear about the connection between the assassins and the Mulhorandi.

She looks sad just for a moment, but then she smiles wistfully. "Well, I am sure that as long as I am with you big strong men, nothing will happen to me."

Aeroz prepares himself to enter his nightly trance, still pale and shaky. Miles and Sedryn together manage to keep the filth fever in check, but the small cuts and scrapes from the rat swarm continue to fester.

Sheyra is happy to hear that Aeroz wants to touch base with the women from the Sea Lion. "It will be great to see them again! I can't wait to tell them about how I won the Mud Bowl! Do you think they'll be able to help us find the assassins?"

Frojoe21
2005-07-27, 08:45 PM
Aeroz, Elf Expert

"Well, the problem is, Sheyra, the assasins might be Angela, Tiriel and Si'rene. We're not sure, but we do have some evidence to support the theory. We'll go pay them a visit tomorrow"

Aeroz lies down and gets some well need rest.

Elmorwen
2005-07-27, 10:23 PM
Sheyra, human monk

Sheyra is shocked and disheartened to hear Aeroz accuse the women, but keeps it to herself as she is sure they will prove the theory wrong tomorrow. She goes to bed without talking to anyone else.

HempRope
2005-07-28, 10:03 AM
Achkby, Halfling Sorcerer

Achkby retires to bed a bit grumpily, still a bit confused about what's going on.

Who are Angela and... Syrene, and... the other one? And what do they have to do with all of this. I may have been better off staying away from 'civilization' and all of its messy intrigues.

He sleeps well enough, and doesn't awaken until rather late, but he hurries to get ready and go downstairs to meet his companions.

Rodrick_the_Red
2005-07-28, 10:03 AM
Sedryn (Human Cleric)

"Miles I would be gratefull for your help." Sedryn replies to Mile's offer.

After treating Aeroz, Sedryn turns in for some well deserved rest.

Dr._Bob
2005-07-29, 05:08 PM
After an uneventful night of rest, you gather downstairs for a light breakfast before heading out to explore the city.

The Merchants Quarter lies to the northeast, a short walk along wide cobblestone boulevards from the Sword and Shield.

You see many aristocratic elves as you walk through the heart of Velprintalar, but once you reach the Merchants Quarter, you find that this part of the city is a melting pot of many different races.

A wide variety of stalls line the streets as merchants from all over the East and beyond peddle their wares. Overlooking the area is a small hill covered with long, two story buildings - the guild houses.

It takes almost the whole morning before you find someone who recognizes the descriptions of Angela, Tiriel, and Si'rene. Once a gold piece is slipped into his hand, the merchant (selling lovely crystal pendants) points you towards a seedy tavern, "The Golden Griffon".

The windows are shuttered and the large, rough hewn door is locked. The Golden Griffon looks like it's closed (even though it is just about lunchtime), but when you knock on the door, a small panel at eye level slides open ...

A pair of bloodshot eyes regards your group warily. "Whaddaya want?"

The_King_of_Durf
2005-07-29, 05:46 PM
Darius

Darius looks at Aeroz and Sedryn questioningly.
"We're here to meet with some old friend's of ours, we heard they're staying here." he says.

Dr._Bob
2005-07-29, 05:48 PM
The eyes glare at you. "Well they're not. Bye."

The small shutter slams shut.

Elmorwen
2005-07-29, 06:21 PM
Sheyra, human monk

Sheyra tries to discern the man's intentions.

OOC: Sense Motive: 13+7=20

Dr._Bob
2005-07-29, 06:28 PM
The doorman didn't even ask who Darius was looking for. "They don't seem to like strangers around here," Sheyra observes.

Frojoe21
2005-07-29, 06:39 PM
Aeroz, Elf Swashbuckler

"Maybe its time for some agressive negotiations"

Aeroz loads his crossbow and points it at the eyeslit. He knocks on the door one more time.

If the slit opens--

Aeroz responds in a harsh tone "Now are you gonna let us in? I'm looking for three women. They said they would be here and I intend to see them" [Intimidate +0, and circumstantial modifiers]

If the slit does not open--

Aeroz will use his bracelet of levetation to see if there is any other way he can get in.

The_King_of_Durf
2005-07-29, 09:09 PM
Darius

"Of course, we could always knock down the damn door..." Darius says to the party angrily. He takes after Aeroz and places his hand upon his sword.

Rodrick_the_Red
2005-07-30, 04:41 PM
Sedryn (Human Cleric)

Sedryn knocks on the door again saying "My freinds and I were asked to visit a group we met on the ship we traveled on."

Yoric_Steele
2005-07-30, 09:30 PM
Miles D'Arcy - Human Druid

Miles mutters quietly..."I don't think kicking in the door is the right approach. Clearly we need to state our intentions better, and possibly provide some gold to get some answers."

I can just imagine kicking in the door, and getting cut down where we stood...

Dr._Bob
2005-07-30, 09:43 PM
Yet again, Sedryn's gentle approach is trumped by Aeroz's aggressiveness ...

When Aeroz and Sedryn both knock on the door again, the panel slides open for a second time. This time, the eyes look angry.

"CAN'T YOU SEE THAT WE'RE ... uh, closed?"

The voice takes on a different, meeker, tone when the eyes see Aeroz's crossbow pointed at them.

"OH! You mean those ... uh ... people. Just a second ..."

You hear the sounds of bolts being drawn back, then the door swings open a crack. Aeroz grabs the doorknob and pulls the door all the way open.

The interior of the building is very dark, so it takes your eyes (even Aeroz's) a moment to adjust. The entranceway is a narrow 5' x 10' passage with a pair of heavy velvet curtains at the other end. Along the walls are ratty posters of various bards and other musical acts, presumably the scheduled entertainment for the bar. (e.g. "Coming soon - Warmy Melamot and the Wemics!" and "Gibbering Mouther ROCKS!")

The curtains are swaying, suggesting that the "doorman" has beaten a hasty retreat back into the Golden Griffon.

Frojoe21
2005-07-30, 10:29 PM
Aeroz, Elf Swashbuckler

Aeroz turns to sedryn with a sly look on his face.

"You see, my good cleric? People are more likely to respond in your favour when you threaten them a little"

Aeroz walks into the bar (ouch) and starts to look for Angela, Tiriel or Si'rene.

The_King_of_Durf
2005-07-31, 12:04 AM
Darius
"Yes, and pointing crossbows at there faces always helps too!" Darius says with a slight smile as he enter the bar, following silently behind Aeroz through the swaying curtain.

HempRope
2005-07-31, 12:16 AM
Achkby, Halfling Sorcerer

Achkby merely observes the entrance attempt (and eventual success), and follows Darius in (after scouring the street for anyone watching the proceedings -- and of course taking note of them).

Dr._Bob
2005-07-31, 03:44 PM
Achkby takes a long look around the street outside. The buildings in this part of town are run down. Garbage lies festering in the streets. The few passers-by keep their eyes on the ground, trying not to be noticed. No one seems to be paying any attention to your group. Achkby shrugs, then turns and enters the Golden Griffon behind the others.

Aeroz and Darius stride confidently into the bar through the velvet curtains, and the rest of the party follows ...

The interior of the Golden Griffon is surprisingly large, almost cavernous, and very dark. Even though it is midday outside, the only illumination inside comes from a small number of dimly glowing sconces along the wall. The dimness is uncomfortably dark to all except Aeroz.

You have entered on the upper level, a balcony that runs all the way around the interior. You look down onto the lower level, which is where the bar is located. There is also a small stage and a number of tables and chairs down below. Again, the illumination is faint, almost non-existent.

There are very few patrons in the Golden Griffon at this time. A small humanoid is behind the bar (on the lower level) polishing glasses. A pair of (probably inebriated) humanoids sit quietly conversing at the bar. Another humanoid appears to be sleeping at one of the tables, a half dozen empty glasses before him. There is something wrong with all of them, but you can't quite put your finger on it at the moment, because your attention is immediately drawn to the "doorman" who is waiting for you just beyond the curtains ...

A large bulbous creature hovers above the floor in front of you. Ten eyes (two of which look familiar) are attached to writhing tentacles on top, while a larger single eye lies in the center of the creatures "body". The central eye is closed. Below is is a gaping, toothy maw. The corners of the mouth are turned upward in a wry smile. The creature is wearing some kind of tunic or apron around its circumference. On the "shirt" is a message: Don't run, you'll only die tired.

One of the ten smaller eyes looks behind you. You hear the outer door slam shut, then you hear several snicks as the bolts are thrown home.

The beholder speaks, "Greetings and welcome to the Golden Griffon!"

Rodrick_the_Red
2005-07-31, 03:51 PM
Sedryn (Human Clreic)

"Aeroz, Good work. Now let see if the ladies are around." Sedryn says nodding his head to Aeroz acknowledging his success.

Frojoe21
2005-07-31, 04:01 PM
Aeroz, Elf Swashbuckler

Aeroz's mout drops at the sight of the eye tyrant. He quickly drops his crossbow and draws his rapier. The elf takes a readied position.

This is some kind of joke right?

"You wouldn't happen to be the owner of this tavern would you?"

Dr._Bob
2005-07-31, 05:43 PM
The beholder laughs. "Me, the owner? Nah. I just work the door. The owner of the establishment generally sleeps during the day ..."

"I have to tell you that we don't usually serve your kind here (except occasionally as hors d'oeurves). And I really don't like being threatened with pointy objects." About four eyes look directly at Aeroz as it says this.

"Disintegrating the lot of you would be easiest I suppose (and would be more than you deserve, elf), but you've got moxie, and I like that."

The beholder grins.

"Today must be your lucky day, because I'm in a good mood. More to the point, I'm in the mood for riddles. Answer me two of the three and I'll let you live. Get them wrong and you all die for busting in here as if you own the place."

The beholder doesn't wait to see if you agree to play his game.

"Here is the first riddle ..."

I am always hungry.
I always must be fed.
Let me lick your finger,
and it will soon turn red.

The beholder's central eye opens, and its expression becomes stern.

"Who am I?"

Frojoe21
2005-07-31, 06:00 PM
Aeroz, Elf Expert

"Fire. Your answer is fire. It needs wood to burn, otherwise it will die, hence feeding. And the licking fingers symbolizes the fires movement, and if it touches your finger, or eye in your case, it gets burned, turning red."

Aeroz sheathes his rapier.

"Sorry I threatened you. We have some friends who said they would meet us here, and we needed to get in. I had no clue an eye tyrant was the doorman though. So whats your next question"

Dr._Bob
2005-07-31, 07:40 PM
The beholder smiles. When you see its fangs, you almost wish it hadn't.

"Well done, elf. The second riddle is this ..."

I change brown to green, black to orange, blue to red.
Without me you'd all be dead.

"Who am I?"

Frojoe21
2005-07-31, 08:24 PM
Aeroz, Elf Swashbuckler

"Oxygen. It turns leaves from brown to green, it turns metal into rust and blue flame to red."

Yoric_Steele
2005-07-31, 09:12 PM
Miles D'Arcy - Human Druid

*Miles followed the group inside the establishment, but very reluctantly.*

*After being introduced to the "doorman", he mutters "Cut down or disintegrated...its all about the same."

*Miles silently observes the interaction between Aeroz and the Beholder.*

Dr._Bob
2005-07-31, 09:51 PM
The beholder rotates from side to side.

"Close, elf. The answer is 'air' (or 'oxygen' if you will). But air does not turn brown leaves to green, nor does it turn blue flames to red (quite the opposite actually). Your answer, therefore, is not completely correct."

The beholder's eyestalks survey the rest of the party.

"Is the elf the only one among you with any wits? Can any of the rest of you explain why 'air' should be the answer to the riddle?"

The_King_of_Durf
2005-07-31, 11:14 PM
Darius

"Well, a green plant can come out of a brown seed... and without air it couldn't come out and live.... I suppose that makes it two-thirds correct." Darius says.

Frojoe21
2005-07-31, 11:46 PM
Aeroz, Elf Swashbuckler

"Blood. Blood in it's natural state is a bluish, purpleish substance. When air or oxygen mixes it with, it gains a red hue. That is the third part of your answer. Well, that is 2 out of three I beleive."

A smirk crosses Aeroz's face.

"Well, I now that we are done, I have some questions for you. I'm looking for three women. Perhaps you have seen them? A white haired elf, and two human women. One blond, one brunette. We were told to meet them here."

Dr._Bob
2005-08-01, 03:22 PM
The beholder turns to Darius.

"A good guess, but a seed needs water, soil and sun in addition to air before it turns into a plant. That was not the answer I was looking for ..."

The beholder fixes its eyes on Aeroz.

"Your SECOND try was better than your first. The riddle refers to the effect of air on copper, iron, and blood. But I give you partial credit for answering 'air' and recognizing that the second part of the riddle referred to iron and rust ..."

As Aeroz smirks at the beholder, the beholder's visage darkens.

"But, arrogant elf, you apparently don't listen well with those pointy ears of yours. I did not say that I would assist you if you correctly answered two riddles, I merely promised not to kill you ..."

As the beholder speaks those words, Aeroz turns to stone, the smirk still frozen on his face. The stone statue that once was Aeroz rises off of the ground and rotates until it is facing the rest of you, a warning that insolence will be punished.

The beholder addresses you as a group. Its expression is grim.

"One and a half riddles answered correctly. One riddle remains. For your lives, answer me this ..."

Pronounced with one letter, but written with three,
Two letters there are, two only in me.
I'm double or single, black, blue, or gray.
Read me from both sides, I'm the same either way.

The beholder roars,

"WHO AM I?"

The_King_of_Durf
2005-08-01, 04:39 PM
Darius

Darius gapes at Aeroz's frozen body...
Uh-oh

He turns to the beholder, listening to the riddle.
Simple...
"An eye." he says.

Yoric_Steele
2005-08-01, 09:24 PM
Miles D'Arcy

*Miles nods wordlessly when Darius says "eye"...too terrified to think.*

Poor Aeroz...

Frojoe21
2005-08-02, 11:08 AM
Aeroz, Elf Statue

I am a rock...I am an IIIIIsland..bawawawawawawawawawaaaa...I have ma books...and ma poetry to protect meeee...I am sheilded...in my aaaarmor...

[ooc: I'm sorry, It was just begging to be done. If you dont get it, you are either too young or dont like Simon and Garfunkle]

Dr._Bob
2005-08-02, 11:26 AM
The beholder descends a few feet and its eye tendrils droop. He almost seems to deflate slightly in an expression of disappointment.

"Well done, human. Indeed, the answer is 'eye'."

The beholder sighs, and the statue of Aeroz floats gently to the ground. It rocks slightly and threatens to fall, but Sheyra grabs the statue and prevents it from toppling and smashing into pieces.

"You have won my challenge, but we really are closed right now," the beholder explains. "If your friends (whoever they are) planned to meet you here, then you should return after dark.

"In the meantime, you'll probably need to take your friend here over to the hospital. I am sure you can find a good transmuter there."

You hear bolts being thrown once again, and your group is pushed by an invisible force back out through the front door. You find yourselves out on the street with a fragile stone statue.

Once your eyes have adjusted to the sunlight, your group gingerly carries Aeroz back toward the center of the Merchants Quarter. Amazingly, you attract relatively little attention. No doubt passers-by assume that Aeroz is just a well crafted piece of art.

...

When you ask where the "hospital" is, you are pointed to one of the large guild houses on the hill, marked by a large red cross. You discover that within this house of healing are wizards and clerics of all schools and faiths, ready to help to heal or remove curses and the like (for a fee of course).

You spend several frustrating hours in the waiting area (a pillared pavilion with fountains and greenery) surrounded by the sick, cursed, metamorphed, and the infirm. Finally, Aeroz's name is called, and you carry him into one of the back chambers.

Two strikingly beautiful woman with flawless, almost glowing, skin dressed in simple white robes look Aeroz over. One aasimar jots down a few notes.

She asks, "Does your friend have any medical conditions we need to know about? Any recent illnesses? Is he on any kind of tincture or medication?"

The other aasimar looks Aeroz up and down.

"Hmm hmm. Petrification, I see. What did he run into? A medusa? A gorgon? A basilisk?"

Rodrick_the_Red
2005-08-02, 02:44 PM
Sedryn (Human Cleric)

"Well he was rude to a beholder and he is recovering from Filth Fever." Sedryn replies.

"I would be willing to offer my services here to help pay for his cure." Sedryn continues concerned about how we will pay to restore Aeroz.

{OOC - Having trouble getting thruogh the jammed server.}

Dr._Bob
2005-08-02, 09:56 PM
The aasimar physician raises her flawless eyebrows. "Petrified by the gaze of a beholder?" She shakes her head in wonder.

The second aasimar takes notes as the physician continues ...

"The stone to flesh casting will require the services of a transmuter, senior grade. In order to cleanse his body of the filth fever, we will also need to pray for divine intervention. If your friend has any particular religious preferences, please let us know and we will try our best to accomodate him."

The aasimar scribe finishes writing, and hands Sedryn an invoice:



Transmuter, Senior Grade - Consultation Level 4 - 700 g.p.
Filth Fever (Community Acquired) - Level 3 Divine Intervention - 650 g.p.

Total Fee for Services: 1350 g.p.


The aasimar scribe levels her iridescent blue eyes at Sedryn. "Payment will be accepted in advance."

The_King_of_Durf
2005-08-03, 12:54 AM
Darius
"You'd think beatiful, heavenly aasimars such as these wouldn't scam the life out of you!" Darius says sarcastically to the party, reading the bill.

Elmorwen
2005-08-03, 10:50 AM
Sheyra, human monk

Sheyra reaches into her backpack and pulls out a pouch containing the 200 gp she won at the Mud Bowl. "I was saving this for an emergency," she says, "And this seems like a perfect opportunity."

Rodrick_the_Red
2005-08-03, 11:19 AM
Sedryn (Human Cleric)

"I think just the Stone to Flesh, he was recovering from the Filth Fever and I should be able to complete his cure." Sedryn replies.

"Sheyra, thank you. Who else can donate for the cause?" Sedryn asks as he rumages through his pack to determine what he can donate, then says, "I have 100 gp for the cause."

Dr._Bob
2005-08-03, 05:48 PM
While you try to assemble enough gold pieces to pay for Aeroz's restoration, one of the aasimars leaves the room.

She returns with a bald man in a crimson robe. His scalp tattoos mark him as a Red Wizard from the Thayan territories of the Mulhorandi Empire. The red wizard pulls a thin stiletto from his robes and waits patiently as you look for the additional 400 gp required for the stone to flesh spell.

Frojoe21
2005-08-03, 06:49 PM
Aeroz, Elf Statue

Fly me to the moon...let me play amongst the stars...lemme see what spring is like on...jupiter and mars.. badam dum dum...

[OOC: Aeroz has 200gp to donate to the cause. He will also keep singing sinatra or whoever that was until he is restored. I think he is feeling in the mood for Death Metal]

Yoric_Steele
2005-08-03, 07:44 PM
Miles D'Arcy

To Sedryn, "Y'know I kind of like him this way. He is much quieter and more cooperative." Miles says with a wry smile.

"I will contribute what I have left which is 80 gold."

*Miles keeps a careful eye on the Thayan, thinking he would rather take his chances with the Beholder than the Thayan.*

The_King_of_Durf
2005-08-03, 08:29 PM
Darius

"I wonder how much I can get for my spleen..." Darius says jokingly. "I really have practically no money. I suppose I could contribute the measly bit I have if need be, but I'd rather not sleep in the street tonight. Anyone else rolling in the money?"

Dr._Bob
2005-08-03, 10:09 PM
Everyone turns to look at Achkby ...



OOC: 320 more gp needed to restore Aeroz. Aeroz's gold is not accessible at the moment, but I am sure that he will try his best to reimburse everyone as soon as he is able to ... ;)