PDA

View Full Version : Into the East [closed]

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

Yoric_Steele
2005-08-04, 09:16 PM
Miles D'Arcy

*Miles shrugs.*

"Don't look at me. I have 5 gold left to my name, and I refuse to be completely broke. I have no idea where we are going to come up with an additional 300-plus gold."

*Miles looks around for somewhere to sit. Even if he finds none, he will sit quietly on the floor.*

The_King_of_Durf
2005-08-04, 11:46 PM
Darius

Darius swears. "Dammit. 300 gold short. There must be a way to make some money in a city as big as this one. One or two of us could stay here while the others try and find some gold. I'd go, if you think that's a good idea."

Elmorwen
2005-08-04, 11:46 PM
Sheyra, human monk

Sheyra adds her remaining 55 gold to the pool. "We can't just leave him like this," she says, "And this is all I've got. Perhaps the temple will hire us to pay off the rest... otherwise, I don't know what we're going to do."

The_King_of_Durf
2005-08-05, 10:21 AM
(OOC: I will gone from August 8th to August 29th, I'll try and get some posts in while I'm gone, but I won't be here much of the time, so just NPC me please.)

Rodrick_the_Red
2005-08-05, 02:48 PM
Sedryn (Human Cleric)

"Well... I have another 30 gold I can put in the pot, but we are still short." Sedryn says as he digs out his gold.

Walking over to the Assimer he asks, "Who may I talk to about working off part of the fee? I am a trained healer and I have prepared several Lesser Restorations and can cast a number of Cure Serious, Light and Minor wounds."

HempRope
2005-08-05, 07:50 PM
Ooh, sorry I haven't been posting. I'm in SanDiego & the WiFi in UCSD's dorms isn't agreeing with the laptop we brought. This is my first chance at a cafe, but I'll try to work out other posting opportunities.

Achkby, Halfling Sorcerer

"Stupid, stupid elf! Why would anyone insult a beholder?"
Achkby sighs.
"Sedryn, Shera, take back that money. I have the last 300 gold that he needs."
He scowls.
"But I'm not paying for a cure for the infection."

Why the hell does this character have so much money?! I must have forgotten to buy everything on my list... anyway, I can provide...

Dr._Bob
2005-08-05, 10:49 PM
The aasimar scribe accepts your 700 gp and writes out a receipt, which is given to Sedryn.

The red wizard takes some powder out of a spell component pouch and sprinkles it over the statue of Aeroz. He then pricks his own finger with the point of the stiletto, letting a drop of blood fall onto Aeroz's head as he whispers the words to complete the spell.

As quickly as he was petrified, Aeroz is restored to his living (albeit diseased) state. The smirk vanishes from Aeroz's face as he takes a minute to reorient himself.

The aasimar and the wizard bow and leave the chamber. It is almost sunset, and the Golden Griffon will be opening soon ...

Frojoe21
2005-08-05, 11:25 PM
Aeroz, Elf Ex-Statue

"Wait the...what the???...who the .... where the hell am I??? Last thing I remember, I was talking to that sonnofabitch beholder.

Aeroz is a little shocked at his new whereabouts. He takes a minute to reorient himself, and has an infuriated look on his face. For the next few minutes, he will be cursing under his breath.

Rodrick_the_Red
2005-08-05, 11:25 PM
Sedryn (Human Cleric)

"Thank you Ackaby for your help." Sedryn says then turns to Aeroz.

"Okay, Aeroz here is the bill and the break down of the 700 gp you owe and to whom you owe it:

Ackaby 300 gp
Sheyra 220 gp
Miles 80 gp
Sedryn 100 gp

Next time try to be a little more civil."

Sedryn addresses the group and asks, "Well shall we go back to the Golden Griffin now or later in the evening?"

Frojoe21
2005-08-05, 11:32 PM
Aeroz, Elf Expert

"What!?!?! Did any of you think to ask Baran for help? We're partially under his employ. You would think for two seconds that he might be helping us out???...nevermind. I only got 230 or somewhere around that. Maybe I can call in a few favours from Calimport, but that might get me another 150? Tell you what? Next little trinket I find that works like my little bracelet? I'll see what I can get for it. Ok?"

Rodrick_the_Red
2005-08-06, 07:51 AM
Sedryn (Human Cleric)

"Easy Aeroz, first off we came directly here from the Golden Griffon and did not have time to ask Baran for his help. Second we know you don't have 700 gp so we are willing to wait, but prehapse a partial payment would not be a bad idea." Sedryn explains.

Frojoe21
2005-08-06, 01:06 PM
Aeroz, Elf Swashbuckler

"Sedryn...I'm surprised at you. I figured a preist would not be worrying about money that was spent to help a freind. Dont worry, I'll pay you back. Now I beleive we should go back to that inn see if the girls are there then."

Yoric_Steele
2005-08-06, 06:34 PM
Miles D'Arcy

*Miles steps in front of Aeroz.*

"Aeroz, I have had just about enough of your arrogant attitude. Three of us, who barely know you just gave up a large sum of money to get you restored. The first words out of your mouth should have been "Thank you for saving me." Instead you have griped and complained for the last few minutes. I think you got less from the Beholder than you deserved, you could have easily been vaporized."

"Personally I don't care what your motivations are, but I refuse to continue assisting someone who lacks some basic curtesy and humility."

Miles crosses his arms across his chest, "What do you have to say for yourself?"

Frojoe21
2005-08-06, 07:14 PM
Aeroz, Elf Expert

"Uhhh...sorry, and thank you for rescuing me. Sorry about that, but as you can see, I am a little frustrated. When the first words I hear after being turned to stone are about me owing someone money, I sort of get a little sensitive. I apologise. I'm a "businessman", so I do tend to get a little snappy."

Aeroz raises his hand, hoping that Miles will shake it and forgive this little understanding.

Yoric_Steele
2005-08-07, 09:28 AM
Miles D'Arcy

*Miles relaxes a little. He shakes Aeroz's hand.*

"You're welcome, and I accept your apology Aeroz."

To the group, "I also suggest we head back to the 'Griffon', and see if we can get some more information."

*Miles heads for the exit...*

Dr._Bob
2005-08-07, 10:12 PM
Your group grabs a bite to eat from some of the food stands lining the streets of the Merchants Quarter.

By the time everyone has finished their dinner, night has fallen, and it is time to make your way back to the Golden Griffon.

Dr._Bob
2005-08-07, 10:14 PM
In the dark, this section of the Merchants Quarter is even more sinister than in the daylight. Muggers, pickpockets, and prostitutes freely roam the streets and alleys. Even though you have strength of numbers and are heavily armed and armored, you can't help feeling a little bit on edge.

Eventually, you find yourself back in the squalid alley that leads to the Golden Griffon. A crowd of rough looking humanoids has formed outside the main door. A velvet rope has been strung across the entrance, and the beholder (now dressed in a black leather "jacket" of sorts) scans the crowd with its eyes, occasionally "nodding" toward one or another would-be patron, allowing him or her (or it) to pass.

Dr._Bob
2005-08-07, 10:15 PM
As you approach from the rear of the crowd, you see a bugbear push his way to the front of the line, growling and cursing, demanding to be let into the club. When he tries to push his way past the velvet rope, he gets vaporized by a beam from one of the beholder's eyes.

The crowd falls silent and falls back from the rope for a moment, but only a moment. Then the crowd pushes forward again (slightly more politely) as members of the crowd vie to be let into the nightspot.

OOC: I'm having problems with the forum for some reason. Sorry for the triple posting.

Frojoe21
2005-08-07, 10:22 PM
Aeroz, Elf Swashbuckler

Once Aeroz reaches the front of the line, or whenever he encounters the beholder.

"You know, I'm sorry about the way I acted earlier on today, and I really hope we could put that unfortunate event of you turning me to stone behind us. So, are we on "good" terms as of now"

Aeroz raises his hand, anticipating a shake, until he realizes that the beholder has no way of doing so.

"By the way, did any of the women I mentioned earlier today come by at any time?"

[OOC: Yeah, the new boards software has a limit to how much you can shove in one post]

Dr._Bob
2005-08-08, 12:09 PM
The beholder smiles when he catches sight of your party, and uses his telekinesis to clear a path to the velvet rope and then allows you inside.

"Welcome back, friends! I can not say for sure that your friends are inside, but you are welcome to see for yourself. We have a very respectable clientele here at the Golden Griffon, however, so I will expect you all to be on your best behavior ..."

Elmorwen
2005-08-08, 12:57 PM
Sheyra, human monk

Sheyra bows respectfully. "Thank you, kind sir," she says to the beholder as the group heads inside.

Yoric_Steele
2005-08-08, 06:54 PM
Miles D'Arcy

*Miles eyes the Beholder very warily, and quickly heads inside the Griffon.*

*Miles stays close to Aeroz but 'in the background', trying not to draw notice while taking in his surroundings.*

Frojoe21
2005-08-08, 07:19 PM
Aeroz, Elf Swashuckler

"Miles, cool down. No one is out to get you. If anything, you should stay back from me. I'm the one who's marked" Aeroz whispers to his nervous druid companion.

Aeroz takes a few quick looks around the place, trying to find the girls

[OOC: Spot +2, Search +10]

Dr._Bob
2005-08-09, 01:18 PM
You pass through the velvet curtains into the Golden Griffon once more. You spend a few minutes on the upper level, looking down onto the lower level, which is packed with patrons.

The Golden Griffon is filled with all kinds of outsiders and aberrations. Scanning the crowd, you identify illithids, tieflings, drow, the occasional ogre, a couple of minor demons, and a few undead. The Golden Griffon appears to be "neutral ground." Although some conversations are loud and animated in a variety of planar and extraplanar languages, no fights break out - everyone seems to be on their best behavior.

On the small stage, a gibbering mouther sings (if you could call it that). A xill works the bar, his four arms juggling glasses, bottles of wine, and collecting tips.

"Regular" humanoids seem to be in the minority here. You see no signs of Tiriel, Si'rene, or Angela.

Phasm
2005-08-09, 05:41 PM
Lissa Quicksilver, rogue

Laying beside one small table is a very large, very black dog. As in approximately 200 pounds of dog, most of it muscle. He looks toward the open door with mild interest, and as he does so one can see a patch of white fur over one eye. In the seat next to this shaggy creature sits his owner, a gnome dressed in shades of gray that blend into the shadows. This is Lissa Quicksilver... or at least that's what she calls herself.

Lissa takes a sip from the gnome-sized tankard of mead before her, eyeing the nervous-looking group with interest. Hmm... what have we here? Newcomers, for certain. Wonder what sort of newcomers? I could use some gold. She idly spins the end of her blonde braid around one nut-brown finger, thinking. The elf looks sharp; better not try for their pockets. They might be adventurers, though... wonder if they need a trap expert? I'm getting bored here. And broke. The gnomish woman shrugs, flipping the braid back over her shoulder. Only one way to find out what the newcomers are up to, and that would be to ask them. Lissa picks up her tankard and stands up. "Patch, come!" The dog heaves himself to his feet and looks at Lissa, panting. And drooling. "C'mon, boy. We're going to see if those people need our services." She scratches behind his ears with her free hand, then starts weaving through the crowd, Patch close at her heels.

Frojoe21
2005-08-09, 06:00 PM
Aeroz, Elf Swashbuckler

"Quite the crowd here, eh? When I was with my parents, I saw them summon not half of these. Wow."

Aeroz walks up to the friendliest looking of the extraplanar creatures who isn't engaged in one of these otherworldly conversations. He will also try to stay away from anyone who looks a little too tempting. [OOC: an advantage of having mages for parents: Knowing who to stay away from who isn't from this world].

Once he finds someone who fits the description he will ask if they have seen anyone meeting Angela, Si'rene or Tiriel's description.

Zeal
2005-08-09, 06:05 PM
Hajih, Human Ranger

A flash of colour sticks out from the gloom of the Golden Griffon. A man dressed in a simple set of clothes except for a green and purple jacket and a huge floppy hat. His eyes glance over to the newcomers.

Well this might be a good bet, these folk look like adventures. He looks deep in thought.
Or at least more so than the last group I was with… I think.

Hajih whistles to a hawk sitting on the rafters, when the hawk hears this it swoops down to him. He stands up, takes a swig from his flask and walks towards the newcomers.

Zeal
2005-08-10, 07:14 PM
Hajih, Human Ranger

Striding up to Aeroz, Hajih makes an over exaggerated bow then quickly launches into a flurry of handshakes pulling the various members of the party out of their tasks. “Hello…hello, I believe you folks are adventures, no? If so I may be of use to use. Adventures are going to need a guide.” Hajih takes a deep breath of air before continuing “and I just happen to be that guide. Let me introduce myself I am Hajih, your guide to caves tunnels and all manner of underground vistas. So, are you interested?”
I hope this works.

Frojoe21
2005-08-10, 09:15 PM
Aeroz, Elf Swashbuckler

"Whu, whuzzit?" Aeroz speaks in confusion as the strange man practically jumps on him.

"Sorry sir, we arent adventureres and we already have a guide. However, you could be helpful by telling us if you have seen a group of three women here. Two are human, and one is an elf. They should be hanging around together. So, have you seen them?"

Zeal
2005-08-10, 09:47 PM
Hajih, Human Ranger
"Hmmm, A pity. However I haven't seen these girls, or maybe I have, I can't quite remember. My memory isn't very good today. Although, from what I remember about bars, the bartender might be a good place to start. Anyways I would be willing to help you look around, some people might know me, even if I can't remember them. Perchance I could learn the name of the ladies in this trio of yours?"

Oh, no this doesn't seem very good at all.

Dr._Bob
2005-08-10, 11:16 PM
As a rule, the outsiders and half-devils patronizing the Golden Griffon seem to have little interest in conversing with Aeroz or any of the rest of you. They either act as if they didn't hear Aeroz's questions or they shrug as if they don't understand Common. When Aeroz approaches a pair of succubi, they just giggle into their drinks and turn away.

Only this human, Hajih, seems interested in making conversation. Indeed he almost seems a little too interested in getting to know everyone. You can't help wondering what his angle is ...

Phasm
2005-08-10, 11:51 PM
Lissa, gnomish rogue

Lissa stops several feet away from the elf and the ranger, close enough to make out the conversation but far enough away to blend into the crowd. She hopes. Beside her, Patch (obviously well-trained) stops as well and sits down next to her, looking around the room alertly.

Hmm... now this sounds promising. Lissa smiles to herself, beckons to Patch, and begins eeling through the crowd toward Aeroz again. "Hey, stranger." The gnome grins up at the much taller elf, seemingly unfazed by his height. "I couldn't help but overhear your conversation with Floppy Hat, there." She points to Hajih. "Now, I just might've seen the women you're looking for- a trio, one human, one elf, one human-sized who keeps her hood up? Good taste there, by the way, though you'll need Garl's own charm to melt the elven icemaiden." Lissa winks, her grin turning mischievous for a second. "So, what's this information worth to you?"

Frojoe21
2005-08-11, 12:17 AM
Aeroz, Elf Swashbuckler

"Well, thanks a lot miss, but there is one thing you forgot about information dealing. Never drop too many hints. Now I can narrow down my search, and I will find them. Still, a little help would be nice. Whaddaya want for their whereabouts?"

Dr._Bob
2005-08-12, 11:54 AM
While Aeroz is taking to the halfling, he notices that several of his companions seem to have disappeared.

He can only hope that they are mingling with the crowd and that nothing sinister has befallen them ...

The halfling points out a gnome sitting alone in a corner booth. "I think I saw your women friends talking to that guy a couple nights ago."

The gibbering mouther completes its set to scattered polite applause. It oozes offstage, while a couple of gargoyles remove several audience members who were sitting too close to the stage and became overwhelmed by the gibbering mouther's performance.

After a short break, a dapper (but unnaturally pale) human hops up onto the stage. "Our next act just flew in from the Umber Marshes to be here tonight, so let's give a warm Golden Griffon welcome to ... the Harpies!"

A trio of half-woman, half-beast bare-breasted creatures flap up onto the stage. Several audience members hoot and whistle appreciatively. The harpies settle down on three strategically placed roosts and begin to sing. For all of their outward ugliness, their voices truly are enchanting ...

Rodrick_the_Red
2005-08-12, 05:25 PM
Sedryn (Human Cleric)

Sedryn shocked by the varity of the tavern's clients, follows Aeroz contnet to let him do the talking.

After spotting the undead Sedryn is tempted to call upon Lathandar's power to destroy the abominations, but remebers at the last minute a statue and refrains.

{OOC - I keep logging on when the server is swamped. My post from yesterday never made it.}

Yoric_Steele
2005-08-12, 10:04 PM
Miles D'Arcy

[OOC: I don't know if something happened to Miles, but he was planning to stay near Aeroz to avoid getting lost or...eaten. So, I will defer to our generous DM to enlighten me.]

[OOC2: Heck, I'm still only 3rd level so I guess in this place I would only be considered a "snack".]

Phasm
2005-08-12, 11:15 PM
Lissa, GNOME (not halfling!) rogue

Lissa mutters something under her breath in Gnomish. Judging by the tone, it's not a particularly polite phrase. Meanwhile, Patch is enthusiastically sniffing at Aeroz' crotch with his very large, wet dog nose. "By all the Hells, I hate negotiations... Okay, tell you what. I'm not asking any gold tonight. What I want is a story." She raises one slightly callused brown finger. "Not just any story, though. I want the story of why an elf (who's in the Profession, I can tell, and that's got to be a tale in itself) is traveling with a priest of Lathander, a druid (or maybe a ranger)..." She shakes her head. "None of you are from around here, and you're certainly not the Griffon's usual clientele." Of course, neither is Lissa. "I don't even care if you tell me the truth. I'm just bored and curious." She grins, white teeth flashing in her dusky face. "So, there's your man over in that corner. See the swirfneblin sitting by himself? He was talking to your ladies." Lissa's grin turns devilish. "And now I'm going to follow you and annoy you until I get a good tale."

Zeal
2005-08-13, 03:34 PM
Hajih, Human Ranger

Hajih turns to Lidda “Now that you mention it, that is kind of an odd looking group, these folk look like adventures. Yet this elf here says they’re not adventures.” Turning to Aeroz quizzically Hajih asks “What are you doing together? I mean you’re a little heavily armed to be tourists and it’s not every day you see folks like you in a place like this unless they’re looking for someone or something. By the way, Elf, I never did catch your name…or did I?” He looks around for a second “No, I didn’t, so what is it Elf.”

Frojoe21
2005-08-13, 03:46 PM
Aeroz, Elf Swashbuckler

"Whoa whoa, whats with all of the questions all of a sudden? We are just looking for a couple friends of ours who come here often. Thats it, we arent adventurers or anything like that. Now if you'll excuse me for a few minutes, I need a drink"

Aeroz approaches the bar and orders a couple whiskeys. He continues to survey his surroundings, looking for anyone who resembles the girls.

Gotta relax. This is a party after all.

[OOC: Search +7, Spot +2]

HempRope
2005-08-13, 05:15 PM
Achkby, Hafling Sorcerer

The blue-garbed hafling turns to his other companions.
"Well. What now my friends?"
He, too, scans the crowd for anyone fitting the description of the three women, or anyone dangerous.

Frojoe21
2005-08-15, 02:11 AM
:-/*bump*

Rodrick_the_Red
2005-08-15, 01:45 PM
Sedryn (Human Cleric)

Sedryn follows Aeroz to the bar and orders an ale. Turning to the two new comers Sedryn says, "Hello, may name is Sedryn and I am pleased to meet you, as for a tale would you like to hear how I was swallowed by a plant?"

Sedryn tells the tale of the tendriculos stopping after the beast flees into the wood.

Rodrick_the_Red
2005-08-15, 01:55 PM
Sedryn (Human Cleric)

Sedryn follows Aeroz to the bar and orders an ale. Turning to the two new comers Sedryn says, "Hello, may name is Sedryn and I am pleased to meet you, as for a tale would you like to hear how I was swallowed by a plant?"

Sedryn tells the tale of the tendriculos stopping after the beast flees into the wood.

Dr._Bob
2005-08-15, 02:15 PM
It is unclear whether the alcohol or the mesmerizing harpies' song is more to blame for the dullness seeping into your minds and bodies.

Individuals speak, but no one seems to be listening to any one else it seems. You sip your beverages listlessly. The human and gnome strangers seem eager to make your acquaintance, but their friendly questions are met with stony silence and indifference.

No one in the Golden Griffon matches the description of the three women you are seeking.

OOC: Perhaps the trail (and campaign) ends here?

I recommend re-reading each other's posts. I would also encourage you to respond to each other's questions, rather than just ignoring people's posts.

Zeal
2005-08-15, 05:56 PM
Hajih, Human Ranger

After Sedryn finishes his story Hajih looks stunned "Amazing story ,you folk are truly brave. So, what brings you to the city?"

Frojoe21
2005-08-15, 07:05 PM
Aeroz, Elf Swashbuckler

[OOC: NOOOOOOO. I really like this campaign, and it's actually going somewhere. Dont end it. PLEEEEEZE]

Aeroz turns to his halfling companion and says "Well, since the only one here would be the deep gnome over there, I guess we should go talk to him. Just lemme finish my drinks. Its been a rough day..."

Taking another swig of hooch, Aeroz responds to the man who is suspiciously curious

"Business, just business"

HempRope
2005-08-16, 10:31 AM
Apparently we've all moved to the bar?

"All right then, I'll go with you, though I know nothing about those women," he tells Aeroz.

He smiles at Hajih and Lissa, and tells them, "I'm not even here on business. Just saved their sorry arses from the Vine-beast and have been tagging along ever since."
He looks very smug as he ronounces this, and then chuckles, "And besides, this guy owes me some money! poking Aeroz in the ribs with a little elbow.
He gives the elf a good-natured grin over his shoulder.

That should assuage his curiousity.

"What about you folks?"

Elmorwen
2005-08-16, 10:52 AM
Sheyra, human monk

Looking very confused and somewhat frightened, Sheyra wanders up to the bar area and asks for a glass of water. Seeing Aeroz and Achkby, she slips in behind them as they make their way towards the svirfneblin.

Dr._Bob
2005-08-16, 12:08 PM
After putting down your drinks, you push your way gingerly through the crowd toward the svirfneblin sitting in the corner.

He is sitting alone in a booth sipping a deep burgundy (almost black) wine from a fine long-stemmed crystal glass. He watches the activity in the bar/club with small beady black eyes, and notices your approach well before you arrive at his table.

What looked like two statues placed against the wall, come to life, flanking the svirfneblin's booth, as you approach. One of the gargoyles raises an arm in warning, and you stop a few paces from the table.

"Greetings strangers. What can I do for you?" The svirfneblin's tone is friendly, but his dark eyes and grim frown seem to contradict his casual words.

Frojoe21
2005-08-16, 01:45 PM
Aeroz, Elf Swashbuckler

"Yeah yeah..." Aeroz replies to the Halflings remark

Turning to the deep gnome he says "We are looking for three women who came by here. I was told you saw them last.

He conveys the description to the gnome, and awaits eagerly for an answer.

Dr._Bob
2005-08-16, 06:33 PM
The svirfneblin leans back slightly, relaxing almost imperceptibly.

"Hmm. Well, I suppose that I might or might not have spoken to some surface dwellers that match those descriptions recently.

"If I had, though, it is possible that they appeared nervous and seemed to be running away from something or someone. And if that were the case, then I would probably be reluctant to divulge any information about their whereabouts.

"It would frankly be a breach of professional ethics for me to tell you anything more about them. Ahem, assuming that I had actually spoken to any of the three women, which I may or may not have done. Speaking hypothetically of course."

The svirfneblin smiles, revealing stained and crooked teeth.

HempRope
2005-08-16, 11:07 PM
Achkby

Achkby steps forward, and says to the Sniv man, "how reluctant are you, or rather, would you be, to divulge information about their whereabouts?"
He smiles congenially, and inclines his head a tad to the left.

Phasm
2005-08-17, 12:28 AM
Lissa, rogue

The gnome sniffs as she's ignored by the elf, but her cheerful demeanor returns as Sedryn tells his story. Lissa is silent throughout, evidently enjoying the diversion. After the cleric finishes, the group heads toward the swirfneblin's corner.

Ooh, so they are going to talk to him! This should definitely be interesting. Lissa grins and pulls her hood up. "Patch, stay." The shaggy black riding dog looks up at her mournfully from where he's lying down by the bar, but doesn't move. Quietly, the gray-cloaked gnome slips through the crowd, ending up just behind Sedryn and Achkby. Her sharp ears pick up most of the conversation. Lissa's eyes, however, stray to something a bit closer. Mmm, handsome halfling here! I'll have to see if he wants to talk later on... maybe have a few drinks...

(OOC: If anyone wants to make a Listen check for Lissa, let me know and I'll roll a Move Silently. Daring Rogue will have to let us know what the modifiers are for crowd noise.)

Frojoe21
2005-08-17, 05:10 PM
Aeroz, Elf Expert

Aeroz grins at the deep gnome. He pulls out a small bag of coins and lays them on the table. "Tell me deep gnome, what is your price for the information. These girls are friends of ours, and we would like to see them again. It has been so long"

[OOC: Diplomacy +6]

Dr._Bob
2005-08-18, 11:11 AM
Lissa eyeballs Achkby as he and Aeroz negotiate with the svirfneblin.

When Aeroz produces some money, the deep gnome's face brightens. He reaches forward and counts out 100 gp, which he passes to one the gargoyles behind him. The remainder of the gold he passes back to Aeroz.

"Oh! I didn't realize that you were such close friends of those women. You must be so very worried about them!

"They approached me with a problem: they had a 'package' that they urgently needed to get to Telflamm. Unfortunately, because of the Mulhorandi blockade, they could not cross the Sea of Fallen Stars, and because of the tensions in Thay, they could not take an overland approach."

The svirfneblin winks.

"So if they could not go over the sea or around the sea ... Well, the solution is obvious is it not?"

Frojoe21
2005-08-18, 12:00 PM
Aeroz, Elf Swashbuckler

"Well, certainly for that generous amount, you could tell us a bit more. When did they leave, and what route they might be taking." Aeroz stops his bartering and stabs a dagger in the table. "Was the package around the size of this? "

Elmorwen
2005-08-18, 12:13 PM
Sheyra, human monk

"Not over or around... they went under," she says to Aeroz. "Through the Underdark." Sheyra shudders at the thought of it.

Frojoe21
2005-08-18, 12:33 PM
Aeroz, Elf Swashbuckler

"Underdark? No way man. I am not dealing with drow, never. And those flayers swimming around there just make it even worse."

HempRope
2005-08-18, 05:20 PM

At the pronouncement of the possible trip into the Underdark, a pensive expression appears of Achkby's face.

Are we going to follow them into the Underdark???!
When I started this, I had no idea what I was getting into! But he still owes me 300 gold... and this could be the trip of a lifetime.

A moment later, it takes on a grin scowl, which in turn gives way to a smirk.

He places a hand of Aeroz's elbow.
"Be that as it may, we still ought to find out as much as we can from this gentleman."

He turns to the svinrf their informant, and asks, "What else can you tell us?"

Phasm
2005-08-18, 06:57 PM
Lissa, rogue

Lissa's full attention snaps back to the conversation at mention of the Underdark. The Underdark? Hoo... these folks must really be desperate. Do I really want to follow them down there? She considers for a moment. Visions of gems, gold, and vials of that wonderful drow knockout poison dance in her head. What the hells, you only live once. If I can get a trophy from the Underdark, well, talk about bragging rights! And these people are interesting. They seem a bit nervous about official notice, so once I make it clear I know their plans, they'll either have to take me along or kill me. Somehow I can't see a cleric of the Morninglord going along with the latter option. A grin flashes beneath her hood, and the diminutive thief continues to listen.

Dr._Bob
2005-08-18, 11:13 PM
When Aeroz plunges a dagger into the table, the two gargoyles move forward aggressively, but the svirfneblin holds up a hand and they back off. The svirfneblin looks directly at Aeroz. "You pale elves are all the same ... no class." He calmly takes a sip from his glass.

"Anyway," he continues, "they didn't tell me (or show me) what the 'package' was, and I didn't ask. It wasn't any of my business."

He nods when Sheyra mentions the Underdark. "Yes, young lady, that's right. Their only option was to go under the sea."

When he sees Aeroz's reaction, he laughs. "Well, they're really mostly travelling through the Upperdark of course, and that's hardly as dangerous as you surface people make it out to be. Of course, there are occasional dangerous sections that would be best avoided by the discerning traveler, but one could say the same thing about the surface, n'est-ce pas?"

"And the drow and the illithids? Misunderstood and unjustifiably maligned (much like my own race, if I may say so myself) by you surface dwellers. Life in the dark is not nearly as carefree as it is up in the warmth and sunlight, you know. We races of the dark have our own ethics and culture, and we have no desire to be judged by you who know nothing of our way of life. Treat the Underdark peoples with respect and they will return it in kind ..."

"Well, in any case, I am sure that your women friends will be happy to see you all. If you hurry, perhaps you might catch them. They only left last night after all ..."

HempRope
2005-08-19, 11:32 AM

"Come, now. What will it take," Achkby asks through loosley clenched teeth, "for you to tell us where they left from?"

Rodrick_the_Red
2005-08-19, 03:32 PM
Sedryn (Human Cleric)

Sedryn finally coming to grips with his surroundings, leans forward to ask, "Could you aid us by telling us where they departed from and the path they intended to travel?"

Turning to Aeroz he says, "I think we should say good bye to the friend we visited eariler before we go."

Frojoe21
2005-08-19, 03:46 PM
Aeroz, Elf Swashbuckler

"No class, eh?"

Aeroz turns to Sedryn

"Yeah, I think that is a good idea. If we are trekking through any part of the underdark, we should be prepared for the worst. Maybe he can give us some information and stuff."

Zeal
2005-08-19, 04:08 PM
Hajih, Human Ranger

Having been listening in to the conversation Hajih steps up to Sedryn "Hmmm, the Underdark you say? Well you happen to be In luck, my expertise in guiding is the Underdark, how about it?"

The_King_of_Durf
2005-08-19, 04:53 PM
Darius

Darius had remained quiet since leaving the hospital, mulling things over in his head. He listened quietly to the conversation with their mysterious informant, nodding occasionaly or shaking his head.

"The Underdark, I knew something was soon bound to happen. Well I'm in if you all are, and I suppose these strangers may come in handy as well..." he says, then lowering his voice to a whisper so that Lissa and Hajih can't hear him,"If we can trust them..." Then he pauses, waiting for an answer.

{OOC: I'm back!{/OOC}

Yoric_Steele
2005-08-20, 08:22 AM
Miles D'Arcy

[OOC: This may be a bit out of story order.]

*Miles pulls aside Sedryn, Aeroz, and Sheyra.*

"Folks, it is time to take my leave. I just received an urgent message, demanding that I return to the Yuirwood immediately. I cannot stay with you as you travel into the Underdark. I have never been below myself, but I have heard many strange tales. You must be extremely cautious."

"Thank you for your companionship. I wish you the best in your endeavours."

*Miles reaches out to shake hands.*

Dr._Bob
2005-08-20, 10:20 AM
The svirfneblin smiles and points to a doorway hidden in the darkness that you hadn't noticed before. The doorway is flanked by another pair of gargoyles. A printed sign hanging above the doorway is barely visible in the dimness - "To the Underdark".

"The next 'bullet train' (or should I say shinkansen?) leaves at dawn. You can buy tickets on the platform. It was very nice meeting you. Please give my regards to your friends ..."

Your interview with the svirfneblin is over.

You gather at a table to strategize. Lissa and Hajih linger nearby to see if they might join your adventures. Unexpectedly, Miles indicates that he can not continue on in your journeys. He must return to Ingdal's Arm and the Yuirwood. He bids farewell to your group with sadness.

Frojoe21
2005-08-20, 01:42 PM
Aeroz, Elf Swashbuckler

"Really is a shame that Miles has to go. Well, we need a new guide. What about that eavesdropping ranger? He could probably be capable. If those three headed for Teflamm in such a hurry, then it does somewhat confirm our suspicions. We wont be able to get there before them, but we can hope to be right on their heels."

Aeroz turns to Sedryn.

"Well buddy, looks like we are the only ones left who actually have a reason to go after these girls and get that dagger back. If any of you want to back out, do it now. We also need to drop by Baran's again. Maybe we could squeeze a little more information out of him. Either way, we need to hurry up."

Aeroz gets up, and begins to look for the exit. When he finds it, he says goodbye to the beholder and heads towards Baran's place.

HempRope
2005-08-20, 01:58 PM

"I'm in. You still owe me money!" Achkby grins goodnaturedly, and stands up.
"Come on," he says to Lissa, "we could use you down there."

He waits a moment to see if she comes, and then (assuming that she does) he follows Aeroz out the door.

The_King_of_Durf
2005-08-20, 04:47 PM
Darius

"I'm in too, I saved you once, maybe you can return the favor. And I think we could use this here guide to the Underdark, how 'bout it... uh, Hajih (I think your name was)? And the gnome too." Darius says, following after Aeroz.

Phasm
2005-08-20, 07:32 PM
Lissa, rogue

Lissa blinks, looking rather stunned. She recovers quickly, though. "Wow! An invite, just like that?" The gnome beams at Achkby, pushing back her hood. "Thanks, handsome! Say, what's your name? And, um, I need to get my things. Won't take but a minute, the service here is fantastic."

She whistles shrilly, and an enormous, shaggy black form comes bounding over from the bar- Patch, her riding dog. Having collected Patch, Lissa flags down a tiefling in a server's uniform. She whispers something to the devilish-looking man, following it up with a coin. He flashes a pointy-toothed smile and vanishes into what's evidently a server's exit. A short time later, the tiefling reappears, with an ogre in tow. The ogre is carrying a dog-saddle, saddlebags, gnome-sized bedroll, tent, and knapsack.

"Your things, madam." The tiefling bows elegantly. The ogre grunts and attempts a smile, showing yellow, broken teeth. With a couple more coins from Lissa, the ogre efficiently saddles and loads Patch, and the two depart.

Swinging her knapsack onto her back, Lissa smiles, beckons to her dog, and follows the rest of the party. A new adventure! How exciting!

Zeal
2005-08-20, 11:37 PM
Hajih, Human Ranger

Hajih looks at his toes “Errr, yeah, sorry about eavesdropping but anyways I’d be interested in working for you fine folks” He quickly takes a swig from his flask and then smiles. With an overexagerated bow he remarks "Lead on intrepid travelers"

Dr._Bob
2005-08-21, 08:09 PM
It is nearly midnight by the time your motley crew makes its way back to the Foreign Quarter.

You stop by the Boar's Head to touch base with Baran. He is fascinated by what you found out at the Golden Griffon.

"Three women fleeing to Telflamm through the Underdark? It must be the assassins from the Order of the Rose. Who else could they be? I will send word to Prozen, letting him know that you are pursuing them into the very bowels of Faerun!"

Baran would like to help, but there isn't much time and the shops are all closed at this hour. He offers your group 50 gp each. "It's all I can do on such short notice. I'm sorry."

Baran looks startled when he is introduced to Sheyra. "This young woman is an acquaintance of yours? Mulhorandi agents have been scouring the city looking for a young Untherite teenager in the company of a band of foreigners. It never occurred to me that she was with you! I have no idea how you have managed to end up entangled in so much intrigue, but by all means watch your step! You may be on the trail of the three assassins, but it looks as though there are villains on your trail as well ..."

You take some time to settle up at the Sword and Shield. Your mounts won't be going with you to the Underdark, but they can be stabled here in Velprintalar until your return (assuming you make it back someday).

It's almost dawn and no one has had a chance to sleep, but if you hurry you should be able to make it back to the Golden Griffon in time to catch the 'bullet train', whatever that is ...

Elmorwen
2005-08-21, 08:16 PM
Sheyra, human monk

Sheyra seems dismayed that the news of her presence has already spread so much. "I guess that means I'm coming with you," she says to the others.

Dr._Bob
2005-08-21, 11:47 PM
It is indeed somewhat concerning that the Mulhorandi seem to be aware that Sheyra is in Velprintalar, especially since they should have lost her trail when she (and Aeroz, Sedryn, and Lithandrill) jumped ship in Ingdal's Arm ...

But even if the Mulhorandi have some way of tracking her, it seems unlikely that they would follow her into the Underdark ... right?

Frojoe21
2005-08-22, 08:25 AM
Aeroz, Elf Swashbuckler

"Well, see ya Baran. I'm not sure what to do with the gold, so I'll save it," Turning his head to Achby "So I might pay a persistant individual back." Turning his noggen back to Baran "Is there any advice you can give us for venturing in the Underdark, and do you mind telling me what this 'bullet train' is?"

Rodrick_the_Red
2005-08-22, 08:07 PM
Sedryn (Human Cleric)

"Yeah Aeroz just us two left. Let's get this finished I am tired of following that dagger." Sedryn replies.

"Good bye Miles, sorry to see you go. Good luck to you, maybe we will see you on our trip back." Sedryn says as he shakes Mile's hand warmly.

Turning to the new members he says, "Welcome to our group, we do seem to always find ourselves in the wrong place all to often."

Sedryn turns to Baran and says, "Thanks for the 50 gold that will help. You can also take care of the stabling of our mounts. If you do not hear from me in a year please donate them to the Church of Lathandar."

Dr._Bob
2005-08-22, 08:10 PM
Baran shrugs his shoulders and frowns at the mention of the Underdark.

"I've never known anyone who entered the Underdark and lived to tell the tale. Maybe a 'bullet train' is some kind of illithid or drow form of transport? You'll have to tell me when you get back. Fare well!"

It is still dark when you enter (for the third time) the Golden Griffon. The beholder looks bleary-eyed (all of them) after a long night of bouncing, but he smiles (you almost wish he wouldn't) when he sees you again. "Good timing! It hasn't arrived yet my friends. Have a great trip!"

The main floor is much less crowded now. The svirfneblin isn't at his table any more, but you pass between two gargoyles into the passageway he pointed out to you.

You make your way down a long passage that gently slopes downward, past an amphibious 'street' musician (a scruffy looking kuo-toa playing some kind of mouth organ).

Eventually you find yourselves standing on an underground platform along with an assorted bunch of other Underdark denizens who seem to be waiting for something. A few dim lanterns cast weak light over the platform, and you can see that a large tunnel runs from one end of the platform to the other, then disappears into the darkness.

A handful of drow stand aloof at one end of the platform, whispering amongst themselves. A pair of mind flayers eye the other passengers waiting on the platform, their tentacles twitching gently. A few grimloks and even a duergar or two are identifiable as well.

A bored looking svirfneblin sits behind a ticket counter. "One way or round trip?" he asks with a yawn.

HempRope
2005-08-22, 11:13 PM

Achkby is nervous, some of his most prominent clothing being conspicuously bright hues of blue, and though he keeps his silence, he doesn't mind letting his apprehension show when they first enter the tunnel.

What a place. I've been in some seedy spots, and some pretty dingy locales, to be sure, but this is beyond all the rest. There's just a... mood about it.

With business at hand, however, he tries to pull together a suave composure, and strides over to the ticket-counter in as normal a fashion as he can devise.

"Well... that depends, I suppose," he tells the sni same-sized fellow. "How much is each?" He tries not to seem overly concerned, but it's no secret that it does matter.

Phasm
2005-08-23, 01:34 AM
Lissa, rogue

Lissa is no longer smiling. She hasn't since leaving her dog at the stables. The hood is up on her gray cloak again, and she's fiddling with a dagger. I hope Patch is okay there. Maybe this isn't such a good idea... no, curse it, I need the money! And I don't back out of deals. Snap out of it, Lissa. At the swirfneblin ticket-clerk's words, she looks up at the rest of the party.

"Are we planning to come back this way, or overland?"

Dr._Bob
2005-08-23, 07:16 AM
The svirfneblin sighs.

"10 gold one way. 18 gold round trip. How many tickets will you be needing?"

A faint rumbling can be heard in the distance ...

HempRope
2005-08-23, 10:20 AM

Achkby turns back to the group, and says, "I've no idea how we'll be getting back, and I'd rather risk paying an extra 2 gold than invest a useless 8. One-way for all of us?"

Then he mutters to the guard over his shoulder, "By the way... where is the far station?"

Zeal
2005-08-23, 01:12 PM
Hajih, Human Ranger

Peeking out from under his huge hat Hajih looks suspicious of the svirfneblin "Agreed, one way, because we never know what will happen."

The_King_of_Durf
2005-08-23, 02:01 PM
Darius

"Yes, one way'll do nicely." Darius says lightly then whispers sarcastically under his breath "Oh gods, we're going to die, aren't we?"

(OOC: I'm camping so I'll be posting on and off at the library. This bullet train really reminds me of the NYC subway.)

Frojoe21
2005-08-23, 02:46 PM
Aeroz, Elf Swashbuckler

"One way is good. How do we get to Teflamm using this?" Aeroz inquires

[OOC: NYC Subway? You mean moving appartments with one time rent? ;D]

HempRope
2005-08-23, 03:05 PM

Achkby turns and addresses the ticketeer. "Well, then, that'll be one-way tickets for the seven of us. Here's the ten gold for mine," he finishes, reachin into his money pouch.

Expenses: 10 gold for one bullet-train ride.

Phasm
2005-08-23, 11:06 PM
Lissa, rogue

Lissa waits, toying with her dagger, while the more established members of the group discuss tickets. Once the matter's been decided, she steps up next to Achkby (lightly brushing up against him... by accident?) and hands ten gold up to the swirfneblin counter clerk. "I'm one of the seven he mentioned. There's my fee."

(OOC: -10 gp for one subway... er, bullet-train ticket.)

Rodrick_the_Red
2005-08-24, 03:17 PM
Sedryn (Human Cleric)

"Here you go, one way please." Sedryn ssays as he hands over his 10 gold.

Frojoe21
2005-08-24, 03:24 PM
Aeroz, Elf Expert

Aeroz hands over 10 gold and gets his ticket.

Dr._Bob
2005-08-24, 05:15 PM
The svirfneblin accepts your money without comment, passing each of you a parchment ticket with indecipherable text covering the front and back.

Once each of you has bought a ticket, he addresses Achkby's and Aeroz's questions. "You'll be wanting to take the train all the way to the Glimmersea. It's the end of the line, so you don't need to worry about missing your stop ..."

The rumbling gets increasingly louder and you see the other passengers lining up by the edge of the platform in anticipation.

Six massive bulettes sweep into the station, screaming, in a cloud of steam before skidding to a stop. The bulettes are harnessed 2 x 3 to a series of long passenger coaches. The bulettes' chests heave with exertion and steam rises from their slick, armored backs. Occasionally one will open its enormous jaws and screech loudly. It is not immediately obvious who or what is controlling the bulettes.

The Underdark denizens begin climbing into the carriages.

Zeal
2005-08-24, 06:05 PM
Hajih, Human Ranger

Hajih takes a quick swig from his flask and shakes it. Seeing the bulettes his eyes light up. He turns to Lissa and Achkby and says with a smile, "Watch out wee folks, those things eat Halflings." He takes another drink from his flask and climbs into a carriage.

Elmorwen
2005-08-24, 06:06 PM
Sheyra, human monk

Sheyra's eyes widen in shock when she sees the bulettes, but she climbs into the carriage nearest the group and motions for the others to follow.

HempRope
2005-08-24, 08:06 PM

Achkby grins at Haji, and replies, "I don't think they'll limit their meals to just us... you don't look too big for them yourself."

Then he smiles more mischeviously at Lissa.
"Shall we go, madam?" he asks politely, offering his arm to her and straightening his back so that he stands to his full three feet, two inches.

Phasm
2005-08-25, 01:38 AM
Lissa, rogue

Lissa's dark eyes widen briefly at the sight of the harnessed bulettes. "So that's what they meant by bulette train! Wow..."

At Achkby's gallant gesture, Lissa smiles at him and takes the proffered arm. "Why, thank you, kind sir!" She grins and continues in a more conversational tone as they head for the train. "So, I never did catch your name back at the Griffon. I'm Lissa, by the way."

Rodrick_the_Red
2005-08-26, 11:41 AM
Sedryn (Human Cleric)

Sedryn follows his companions to the train and enters the same coach as everyone else.

HempRope
2005-08-26, 12:14 PM

"My name is Ach-kby," he tells Lissa. "I'm sorry I didn't introduce myself earlier. I've been wandering about for the past few years, and, actually, only took up with these fellows a little while ago. Though I met Darius over there," he continues, motioning at the archer with his free hand, "a little while before then. What about yourself, if you don't mind my asking? What's your trade?"

You'd better not get too friendly with her just yet, you rogue. You never know what she could be up to. No one knows what you're up to...

Frojoe21
2005-08-26, 12:43 PM
Aeroz, Elf Swashbuckler

Aeroz boards the "Bulette" train as well.

[OOC: AHAHA nice play on words daring]

Dr._Bob
2005-08-26, 04:45 PM
The coaches are lined with seats along each wall, facing each other. You choose some seats on either side of the center aisle. A lithe humanoid with marble-like skin, wearing a dark greatcoat, stands up when you sit down and moves to another car. In fact, when other passengers see your group already seated, they move on to the next carriage rather than share a coach with you. You are not necessarily unhappy that your party ends up essentially alone in the car.

With a screech and a lurch, the train begins moving. Soon the dim lights of the station recede into darkness, leaving your carriage completely unlit. Occasionally a greenish glow flashes by your windows, presumably from some phosphorescent fungus growing in the tunnel. Other than that, you sit rocking back and forth uncomfortably in utter blackness.

After a few minutes, a deep gnome enters your carriage carrying a faintly glowing lantern. "Tickets, please."

As you hand him your tickets, he tears them in two and hands you back half a ticket as a receipt. "This is the Darklands Express, running from Traaskl Thorog to the Glimmersea, with stops at Cloakerhaven and the Little Rift."

When you ask how long it will be before arriving at the Glimmersea station, he pulls a small enchanted hourglass from a vest pocket, "We should reach the end of the line in about 6 hours ..."

He moves on to the next car, leaving your group once again in darkness.

Zeal
2005-08-26, 05:12 PM
Hajih, Human Ranger

Pulling out an ever burning torch from his backpack and places it on a strange apparatus on his backpack, the hawk on it shifting from it's perch on top of the strange metal contraption to Hajih's shoulder "This should help light up the carriage, but we got a while 'till we reach the end." He takes a drink from his flask and then shakes it, "Who was this Baran fellow anyways?"

The_King_of_Durf
2005-08-26, 06:37 PM
Darius
"Oh... I suppose Aeroz or Sedryn would be better apt to answer that question, I only just met the man. But I'm curious... you claim to be a guide for places such as this. What is this Glimmersea?"

Zeal
2005-08-26, 07:22 PM
Hajih, Human Ranger

Hajih scratches his chin for moment, then says "The Glimmersea? Oh, you mean the Sea of Starry Night, I never went there myself, heard stories about Aboleths in the waters there. Anyways it's said to be a series of huge caverns with glowing rocks on the cave roof, supposedly really beautiful. Hajih starts digging through his pack "My problem is where we're going. The Sea of Starry Night is huge and just saying the end of the line is the Glimmersea isn't very helpful. I hope that helped you."

The_King_of_Durf
2005-08-26, 07:31 PM
Darius
"Yep, we're dead..." Darius says under his breath, then asks "So we have to get a boat or something?"

HempRope
2005-08-26, 11:45 PM
Achkby, Hahfling Sorcerer

At these words, Achkby lenas forward a bit, out of his conversation with Lissa sitting next to him, and says, "Well, they won't just be dropping us off in the middle of the sea, now, will they? I mean, the train left froma city, so I'd imagine it would arrive at another one."
He stops, and peers down the aisle in the direction in which the deep gnome left them. Turning back to the group, he muses, "You know, I would imagine that the ticket-man would know where we end up. D'you suppose we could track him down? Though he's bound to come by again..."

((This is insane, KoD -- you've surpassed me in post count! [And this must be the first time in 3 months that I've looked at anyone's count, too...]))

Phasm
2005-08-27, 01:12 AM
Lissa, rogue

Lissa leans back in her seat, looking rather satisfied with herself. "Pleased to meet you, Achkby." She doesn't stumble over the name at all, but then, gnomes are infamous for names that sound long and unwieldy to other races. "My trade? I suppose you could call me a scout." The gnome winks at Achkby. "And an expert in small devices such as traps and locks. So, turnabout is fair play; what trade are you in?"

The rest of the party's conversation turns to the Glimmersea. Lissa simply shrugs, taking out her own everburning torch and propping it up in the seat next to her with her pack. The magical 'flame' burns with a decidedly purple light. "Don't ask me. Last I checked, I was a normal gnome, not a swirfneblin. This is my first trip to the Underdark." She grins. "Lots of experience in regular dark, though!"

The_King_of_Durf
2005-08-27, 10:09 AM
Darius
Darius looks around the empty carriage, if he can see into the other carriages and he sees the ticket carrier he'll signal him over, if not he'll sulk, "I hope we get refreshments."

((Wow, I did? I thought everyone had a lot more than me since I went away.))

Dr._Bob
2005-08-28, 10:39 AM
The carriage rocks and rumbles through the Underdark. Long hours pass and many of you nod off (not having gotten any sleep last night) for minutes? hours? It's hard to tell.

Darius checks the doors leaving the carriage. They appear to be locked from the outside. Whether this is for your own protection or to keep you from bothering the other passengers is not clear.

The train makes several stops. Unlike the Velprintalar station, none of these stations are illuminated. Not even Aeroz's or Lissa's vision can penetrate the darkness through the windows.

Aeroz slips briefly into a trance. His cheeks remains pale, his forehead covered by a thin sheen of sweat, reminding everyone that he still suffers from the filth fever he contracted from the rats several days ago.

Finally, the train makes another stop, and you hear a voice call out, "END OF THE LINE! EVERYBODY OUT!"

The carriage doors slide open, and you make your way out into a giant grotto. You can hear the roar of a number of cataracts, underground waterfalls, but even with your everburning torches, you can't make out the ceiling and walls of the cavern. The echoing roar of the waterfalls indicates that the grotto must be quite vast.

The svirfneblin conductor stands at the door of your carriage, holding his dim lantern (out of courtesy to those lacking darkvision). "Well, here we are - Glimmersea station. If you are heading toward the Sea, it's that way (pointing off behind you). Good luck." And without further ado, the bulette train tears off into the darkness, exiting the grotto through some unspecified tunnel.

You find yourself standing alone in the darkness, your two torches providing what seems like entirely inadequate illumination. You can't even be sure what time it is, though everyone's stomach is grumbling.

Everyone turns to look at Hajih, who claims to be an Underdark guide. He looks a little uncertain. It also strikes some of you as odd that an Underdark guide would have a bird as an animal companion ...

OOC: Well, welcome to the Underdark. Please work out a marching order, and compile a summary of all of the food and water that your party is carrying.

Frojoe21
2005-08-28, 01:01 PM
Aeroz, Elf Swashbuckler

[OOC: Aeroz is not one to go first or last. Since Hajh is the guide, his is probably gonna go first. Sedryn and Darius should be at the back, and Achby in the middle. As for food; Aeroz has a week and a halfs worth of trail rations, and a full waterskin]

"So mister underdark guide. How do we get to Teflamm now?" Aeroz says suspiciously to Hajh.

Zeal
2005-08-28, 02:56 PM
Hajih, Human Ranger

[OOC: I agree Hajih should go first. For supplies Hajih has Five days rations, a waterskin and a gallon of ale]

Hajih gulps and then says "Well, first things first I need to get my bearings, then we get moving towards Teflamm." He takes a swig from his flask "Teflamm? Ah yes Teflamm!"

HempRope
2005-08-28, 04:47 PM

Achkby moves away from Lissa now, towards the middle of the group.

I don't much like this place... if only I were something more fearsome... like a dragon!... He muses about being a fearsome draconian beast.

Gaaaah! I ditched all of my supplies, leaving them with my pony, because I can't carry them. I'ma halfling spellcaster. We aren't designed to carry things. Small + 8 Str = 20 pounds is a med. load!

Zeal
2005-08-28, 06:52 PM
Hajih, Human Ranger

"Bad news wee folk and tall folk, we need a boat." Hajih looks nervous for a moment "Oh, I hate boats, and water... oh dear" Then he starts to shake rapidly and wring his hands nervously.

HempRope
2005-08-28, 07:20 PM

Achkby swings round to look at their frantic guide.
"What do you mean, 'we need a boat?' When do we need a boat? I mean, we obviously need a boat for the Glimmersea, but do you mean to tell me that we need a boat now, too? And why?"

Dr._Bob
2005-08-29, 10:49 AM
As your eyes begin to adjust to the darkness, you are able to make out the rough dimensions of the grotto. Four narrow waterfalls pour out of the ceiling (you can not see their origins as the roof of the cave is outside the reach of your torchlight). The four cataracts end in a dark pool. The foam churned up by the falling water is faintly phosphorescent.

A thin rivulet of water runs from the pool along one side of the cave toward the area the svirfneblin had pointed to. Perhaps the stream will lead you to the Glimmersea?

The_King_of_Durf
2005-08-29, 05:38 PM
Darius

"Great... just great. So now what the hell do we do? Is there a way around or something? Darius says, swearing loudly as he walks over to the pool of water.

This tour guide isn't working out very well.

[OOC:I have 10 days food rations and probably a waterskin (I can't access the sheet right now)/OOC]

Phasm
2005-08-29, 07:52 PM
Lissa, rogue

Lissa holds her purple everburning torch up, squinting slightly as she looks around. "Hey, calm down, Achkby. It's actually kind of nice here." She points at the waterfalls, smiling. "Ooh, look! Aren't they pretty? I wonder what the Glimmersea itself looks like?" The gnome unslings her crossbow and loads it, looking up at Hajih. "So, Master Underdark Expert, do you want to scout or shall I? If you'd rather be up front, that's no problem; I can take rearguard. I've got a couple scrolls of darkvision..." Her expression turns wary. "...for personal scouting use only, you understand. Unless there's an emergency or something."

(OOC: 6 days small-folk rations and two full small-folk waterskins. Depending on the party's decision, Lissa will either be scouting out front with darkvision on and torch in her bag, or playing rearguard with torch out. In either case, she's armed with her crossbow. HempRope, I highly recommend saving up for Heward's handy haversack!)

Elmorwen
2005-08-30, 02:06 PM
Sheyra, human monk

Sheyra is obviously worried, but manages to maintain her composure as she digs through her pack. "I have 5 days worth of food and a waterskin. But we might be alright for water if we stay along these streams."

Zeal
2005-08-30, 02:10 PM
Hajih, Human Ranger

"Well, lets see what is down towards the stream before we jump to any conclusions, we may be able purchase a boat from...somebody" Hajih takes a long drink from his flask before starting off towards the passageway.

The_King_of_Durf
2005-08-30, 04:35 PM
Darius takes out his everburning torch and shoulders his bow, keeping his hand on it and looking around warily, he will take the very rear, behind all the others.

HempRope
2005-08-30, 05:16 PM

Achkby, still towards the middle of the group, draws only his wits about him, but stares out into the darkness, slightly nervous.
He looks cooly about at his compaions, though, and nods in approval of their actions.

(OOC: ...HempRope, I highly recommend saving up for Heward's handy haversack!)I have been, but haven't had the opportunity to grab one. And I had a pony.

Frojoe21
2005-08-30, 06:20 PM
Aeroz, Elf Expert

"You know, for an underdark guide, you do seem to be fairly new at this. Still, where would we get a boat, and do we have a map?"

Zeal
2005-08-30, 08:57 PM
Hajih, Human Ranger

"Well I doubt that train would drop us off in the middle of nowhere, there must be someone to buy a boat from. Just so you know I'm not new to this; I've been doin' this for years... just not around here." sticking his hand on his weapons he say in a steady voice "Just in case everybody should be ready for combat, this is the Underdark after all."

Dr._Bob
2005-08-30, 09:23 PM
Although the cavern was referred to as "Glimmersea station" there is no evidence of any other living beings in this large grotto other than yourselves. (Hajih mentiones that it is always possible that a kuo-toa or cloaker enclave lies nearby. It wouldn't look like an obvious "village" but would be potentially dangerous nonetheless. You decide to move on as quickly as possible.)

Your waterskins are full, and it looks like there is enough for about a day and a half (if everyone shares). Hajih warns everyone to be careful about drinking the stream water. You never know whether it's safe or not, and you wouldn't want to catch a disease or anything. (Everyone looks at Aeroz for a moment.)

You form up in loose marching order, staying fairly close to each other. Even for those of you with low-light vision, there is something comforting about being close to the everburning torches. The surrounding darkness is almost palpable.

Following the stream away from the waterfall pool, you see that the water trickles toward a dark passageway exiting the cavern. Since water flows downhill, Hajih predicts that the stream might lead you to the Glimmersea. The passage appears to be wide and easily navigable (at this point at least). As you head into the passage, the roar of the waterfalls fades to a dull rumble, then to a whisper, then to silence.

Soon you are enveloped in a silence as thick as the darkness, broken only by your footfalls and the occasional spash as someone steps in the shallow stream. As you hike deeper and deeper into the Underdark, the dark trickle of water under your feet serves as your only "map."

After what seems like hours you decide to break for a meal. (Is this breakfast? lunch? dinner? Who can tell?)

You have arrived at a fork in the passage. The passage flares out here, creating a small "room" 40 ft across where everyone can sit down, rest and eat. The stream runs down to the right, but another dark passageway forks off to the left. The leftward passage looks wider and smoother (and drier). Hajih points to some scrape marks along that pathway, suggesting that someone or something had headed in that direction not too long ago. It is the first sign of another being you've seen so far.

As you munch on some trail rations, you debate whether it's better to continue to follow the stream or whether you should take the passage to the left ...

Frojoe21
2005-08-31, 02:04 PM
Aeroz, Elf Swashbuckler

"Flip a coin, I always say. This is the underdark, so there is bound to be danger either way." Aeroz comments while munching on some bread.

Zeal
2005-08-31, 07:06 PM
Hajih, Human Ranger

Dropping his pack on the ground and rummaging through it; Hajih looks up and asks "Does anyone have any chalk? to mark our way. Anyways I suggest following the stream down to the Sea of Starry Night before we attract any more attention." Picking a clay jug out of his pack; he refills his flask and slides his pack back on.

HempRope
2005-08-31, 07:11 PM

"I do," says Achkby, swinging his pack from his shoulders. "Good idea."

He reaches into an outer pocket and produces a small brown leather bag. He quickly unties it, and pulls out a small piece of white chalk. "Here you are," he says, holding it out to their 'guide.' "Keep it. I have plenty."

If he's often in the underdark, why doesn't he have this sort of stuff?
I guess I'll reserve judgement for later.

Phasm
2005-08-31, 11:07 PM
Lissa, rogue

Lissa is sitting cross-legged near the stream, everburning torch propped up on a rock while she chews on a piece of jerky. The flickering purple light makes for some odd shadows. Swallowing, she nods to Hajih. "You're the guide; lead and I'll follow. Let me know if anything needs scouting, unlocking, or trap-sweeping." She winks and pats her crossbow. "Or shooting. I'm good at that too."

The_King_of_Durf
2005-09-01, 12:10 AM
Darius

"Let's follow the river, I don't feel like getting eaten by whatever it was that made those marks... although I'll probably end up getting eaten either way."

Okay... this guys useless, so far hee hasn't provided us with a single scrap of help, I don't know why he was so eager to come with us either, I don't trust him. Maybe if he can prove his worth in battle, but I guess that will come sooner or later.

Zeal
2005-09-01, 12:23 AM
"Hajih, Human Ranger

Taking the chalk and drawing an arrow marking the path following the stream Hajih lets his Hawk rest on his arm as he heads down the path with the stream "Come on, we shouldn't stay in one place too long."

HempRope
2005-09-01, 06:41 PM
Achlby, Halfling Sorcerer

"Oh, that's reassuring," Achkby mutters grumpily. He trudges on after the others, careful not to ventue too forwards towards the front of the group -- or the back.

Nothing had better attack us... I don't have claws like most of the creatures down here.

Dr._Bob
2005-09-02, 11:50 AM
You decide to follow the stream down the right passageway. After more miles of hiking, there are a series of branchpoints. At each fork, you choose the path followed by the trickle of water.

You take breaks whenever the majority of party members is feeling tired. Soon you have no idea whether it is day or night on the surface. There is even some debate about how many days it's been (or if it's even been a day) that you've been wandering underground.

The only good news is that the walking is all downhill, making it at least that much easier.

After about a dozen twists, turns, and forks, you finally reach a dead end - a small grotto about 60 ft in diameter. The trickle of water likewise ends here in a small clear pool.

A number of blind albino cave fish can be seen swimming in the pool. Unless this small pool is the Glimmersea, you appear to be seriously lost ...

Zeal
2005-09-02, 03:46 PM
Hajih, Human Ranger

Hajih looks into the pool trying to see if the pool ends there.

Dr._Bob
2005-09-02, 07:39 PM
The bottom of the pool is not visible. There might be an underwater tunnel or it might be another dead end ...

Frojoe21
2005-09-02, 08:01 PM
Aeroz, Elf Swashbuckler

"So Mr 'Guide'; it seems that we are lost again. Have any of you have any clue how to solve this predicament, because I sure cant swim. and that seems to be the only way around this obstacle...besides being eaten by aboleths" Aeroz says impatiently as he waits for Hajh to come up with some answers.

The_King_of_Durf
2005-09-02, 08:57 PM
Darius

"Alright Hajih, if it's all okay with you I like you to tell us what the hell we're doing here! So far you've done nothing at all to prove you're in the least helpful and now we're completely lost, got any ideas?"

Darius then quiets down and looks at the fishes swimming aimlessly in the pool.
They're probably having a better time than I am... I wonder if they're edible...

Zeal
2005-09-02, 09:17 PM
Hajih, Human Ranger

Pulling a length of rope from his pack, Hajih ties it around his waist, handing the other end to Darius. "If you feel a tug, pull the rope back." Dropping his pack and taking a deep breath, Hajih dives into the pool. He swims to the back and looks around.
[Swim +3, Spot, +2]

The_King_of_Durf
2005-09-02, 11:12 PM
Darius
Darius takes the rope, "Woah..."

Did he just jump in there? Uh oh.

((That was very cinematic of you Zeal ;)))

HempRope
2005-09-02, 11:51 PM
Achkby, Halfling orcerer

Upon arriving in the little cavern, all Achkby can think is, Well, now we're ina right good mess, and there's nothing I can do about it. This guide is awful...

However, once Hajih jumps in, he waits with baited breath for the man's return.
He may not be much of a guide, but he certainly is committed...

Dr._Bob
2005-09-03, 12:15 AM
You watch anxiously as the glow from Hajih's magic torch sinks deeper and deeper into the pool. Suddenly the glow disappears, but the rope continues to play out into the dark water.

"He's found a tunnel!" Sheyra exclaims.

Hajih has been under the water for over a minute when suddenly there is a quick tug on the rope, but when Darius pulls back on the rope he feels little resistance. Horrified, he pulls on the rope hand over hand until he pulls out the frayed (and Hajih-less) end of the rope. The clean edges can mean only one thing - the rope was cut.

You huddle around the pool waiting for some sort of sign - bubbles perhaps - but the water is still except for the blind cave fish aimlessly circling in the water.

The grotto seems much darker with the loss of one of the everyburning torches. Lissa's purple torch is now the only source of light ...

HempRope
2005-09-03, 12:38 AM

Achkby, with a few practiced gestures and recited words, casts a simple spell, and a few orbs of light appear in front of him. He directs them into the pool, and they sail down into the murky depths...

"I wish he'd given me the chance to try this before he jumped in," Achkby says quietly.

Phasm
2005-09-03, 01:42 AM
Lissa, rogue

Lissa has been watching the discussion and dive with an increasingly worried expression. I almost hope he doesn't find anything... I hate water! I can't swim worth moldy beans! When the cut and ranger-less rope is pulled up, Lissa swears softly but fervently in Gnomish, and then in at least three other languages. For several minutes, while Achkby does something productive and casts his spell.

Once she's calmed down a bit (or perhaps just run out of curse words), Lissa looks around at the rest of the group. "So, what now? I don't know about any of you, but I'm not real eager to jump in there, especially since I can't swim. On the other hand, Hajih is a comrade." She peers into the pool, watching Achkby's lights, then looks back up and manages a strained smile at the sorcerer. "Good idea there, Achkby. I wish he'd waited too..."

The_King_of_Durf
2005-09-03, 02:18 AM
Darius

Darius holds the rope in his hands, he stands frozen in place, staring at it with a horrified look on his face. He makes no move to the everburning torch in his pack to repel the darkness.

Oh god... not again... no... Darius says quietly... his heart starts to race, "I shouldn't have yelled at him, I shouldn't have- I should've pulled harder, I-"

He collapses onto the floor in a sitting position, staring anxiously down into the depths of the pool being lit up by Achkby's spell
Not again, not another life... please no.

Dr._Bob
2005-09-04, 09:24 AM
The softly glowing lights float downward into the pool ignored by the cave fish.

The "pool" appears to be more of a bottomless vertical shaft. About 15 ft down, a dark opening appears in the rock - some sort of side tunnel. It seems likely that Hajih entered here.

Achkby's lights drift a bit farther downward, but there don't appear to be any openings farther down.

Precious seconds continue to tick away with no sign of Hajih ...

HempRope
2005-09-04, 10:19 AM

Achkby directs his lights down the shaft until they begin to fade, and then quickly back up to float by the hole.

"Hajih must have gone in there. One of us has to go down after him. Most of you have said you can't swim, but if you can hold your breath, I have a spell that will allow you to easily climb down the sides of this pool. I can also provide you with some light.
"Is anybody willing to take the plunge?"

He looks around, hoping fervently for a volunteer.

Frojoe21
2005-09-04, 02:51 PM
Aeroz, Elf Expert

"I cant swim, so unless any of you are willing to take me down there, I'm fairly sure I'm going to drown." Aeroz states in a shaky voice.

HempRope
2005-09-04, 03:54 PM

"You needn't be able to swim, just hold your breath. I can make it so you can easily pull yourself down the wall..."

Dr._Bob
2005-09-04, 09:23 PM
Sheyra steps forward. "I can do it."

She takes off her sandals and ties her robe tightly around her waist so as to be less encumbered. "I'm ready," she states with determination.

HempRope
2005-09-04, 11:00 PM

Achkby pulls the lights up out of the pool to hover over his head. He then riffles through the scrolls in their case hanging at his hip, and pulls one out. Then, he makes a dismissive hand gesture and the lights proomptly vanish.

He casts another simple spell, very similar to the one that conjured his orbs, and illuminates *something that he & Sheyra agreed on, preferably affixed to her head.* It emits a soft glow, much like the Everburning Torches, but with a bluish tinge.
Then, in the light from it & Lissa's flame, he unfurls the scroll and intones a short incantation, calling forth the power that resides in the sigils. He touches Sheyra as he does so, and she feels a tingle spread from the shoulder side that Achkby touched to the tips of her fingers and toes, where it remains.

I was saving that scroll for a more personal emergency, but this certainly is important. Maybe I can get reimbursed, though... I doubt it.

"Good luck down there, Sheyra. May Brandobaris grant you speed and good fortune."
He gives her side a reassuring pat and then steps back.

Dr._Bob
2005-09-05, 08:08 AM
Sheyra nods, wrapping a simple leather headband across her forehead. The band both serves to keep the hair out of her eyes and also (thanks to Achkby's sorcery) acts as a portable light source.

She slips into the pool, takes a deep breath, then ducks below the surface. Guided by the light provided by Achkby, she "crawls" downward along the stone walls of the shaft and slips into the side passageway.

You wait nervously for a sign from her. One minute passes, then two, then three ...

HempRope
2005-09-05, 10:17 AM

Achkby looks up at his companions.

"Spoon."

He stares around at them, wide-eyed, occasionally licking his lips.

Phasm
2005-09-06, 11:10 AM
Lissa, rogue

Lissa nervously paces beside the water's edge, staring down into the pool as if doing so will bring her missing comrades up sooner. As she paces, she counts under her breath. Finally the diminutive rogue stops, whirls, and kicks the wall in frustration.

"They've been down there too long! Owww..." She winces, rubbing her toe. "And there's NOTHING I can do! Nothing! I swim like a brick, and even if I could get down there, I'm too small to drag a human through the water!" Lissa finally sits down, arms wrapped around her knees, face buried. A muffled voice comes up. "I hate being helpless."

Frojoe21
2005-09-07, 04:45 PM
Aeroz, Elf Swashbuckler

Aeroz paces back and forth, trying to formulate some sort of plan. He stops on one heel and turns to Achby.

"Hey, do you know any spells that could bring them back up or get us down there?"

Dr._Bob
2005-09-07, 05:03 PM
The seconds turn into minutes and still no sign of either Hajih or Sheyra.

It seems highly unlikely that Sheyra could survive holding her breath this long ...

HempRope
2005-09-08, 06:06 PM

Achkby shares his head despondently.

"No, I haven't. No."

He shakes his head again, and turns to pace too, but then stops. Instead he just stares at Aeroz.

"This is your quest, really. What do you want to do.?"

Frojoe21
2005-09-08, 09:23 PM
Aeroz, Elf Swashbuckler

"I dont know. If I could swim I'd go down there, but I cant so there is very little that I can do...if they did find a cave, maybe they are alright, but I cant be sure. None of us can, and it doesn't make any more sense to risk any more of us. We cant do much while we are all dead now can we?"

Aeroz picks up a rock and throws it into the water in frustration. He never really had peoples lives in his hands, but then he realizes that he isn't the leader here.

"Any of you have an Idea that could confirm whether they are alive down there?"

[OOC: According to Baron's new thing, Daring has to start a new thread]

Elmorwen
2005-09-09, 10:12 AM
Sheyra, human monk

Sheyra tugs on the rope as hard as she can, signalling to be pulled up.

Dr._Bob
2005-09-10, 07:39 AM
With relief, Darius pulls back on the rope. In just a few moments, Sheyra pops back up to the surface, her headband glowing brightly.

"There's another cave!" she exclaims.

Sheyra describes how she entered the underwater tunnel only to find that it sloped upward and opened into another grotto.

There is a "beach" at one end of the grotto, which she briefly explored. It looked like there were many footprints there, as well as marks as if someone or something being dragged away.

There was no sign of Hajih, other than the possible evidence that he was captured.

HempRope
2005-09-10, 12:16 PM
What rope? She didn't take a rope with her, and Haji's was cut...

Achkby

"Well, thank Hlal that you're safe. But I don't know what could have happened to Haji... either he went off to explore and didn't tell us, the idiot, or he got dragged away..."

He looks around at the others uneasily, and then turns back to Sheyra.
"You say there's a beach... is there water, too?"

The_King_of_Durf
2005-09-10, 02:05 PM
Darius

"Well if we can go, let's go." Darius will follow behind Sheyra upon entering the water.

HempRope
2005-09-11, 07:45 PM

"Hold on! I think we should try to figure out what's happened here before we go rushing off down that shaft."

You guys can just tell me to shut up, but I really wanna know what rope Sheyra pulled on. Though I suppose it doesn't much matter, as she still has Spider Climb.

Dr._Bob
2005-09-12, 02:57 PM
"We have to do something! We can't just abandon Hajih, can we?"

Sheyra volunteers to dive back down and spider climb back to the hidden underwater grotto with her end of the rope.

Sheyra assures everyone that the passage is short enough that even those who can't swim can pull themselves underwater along the rope safely.

OOC: Remember that Darius pulled up the rope that Hajih had been attached to. Hajih's end was cut, but the rest of the rope is still usable. This is the rope that Sheyra apparently tied around herself before she dove underwater the first time ...

The_King_of_Durf
2005-09-12, 03:51 PM
Darius
Darius will take his end of the rope. "Good, go. Pull the rope once if you want us to come across, and twice if you're in danger... just in case."

HempRope
2005-09-12, 09:26 PM
I didn't hear that she tied it around herself. The original post said she tied a robe, and I took you at your word, so to speak.

"I say that it should be 1 tug for danger, 2 when you are ready... but I say we go ahead. Just make sure to establish which is which before you go."

With that, he removes his scroll cases, opens the tops, sets them on the ground, and asks the group, "DOes anyone have any spare cloth?"

(If someone offers some, he will put it around the scrolls inside to keep them dry, and then put the caps back on very tightly.)

The_King_of_Durf
2005-09-14, 04:37 PM
"'Fraid not, all right Sheyra go ahead."

(OOC: ???Uh... bump :-/)

Phasm
2005-09-14, 08:10 PM
Lissa, rogue

Lissa swings her pack off of her back and opens the flap. "Sure, Achkby. Here ya go!" With that, she begins flinging bits of clothing at him. A garish rainbow-striped scarf, a shirt that looks like it used to be white, a sheer purple shift trimmed with ribbons and lace... "Hmm, looks like that's it." The gnome proceeds to unload her crossbow, then stuff it into the pack. Amazingly, it fits. Even more amazingly, there is no crossbow-shaped lump. She does the same with her quiver of bolts, fastens the pack tightly shut, and puts it back on. A bit of ingenuity with some string, and Lissa manages to tie her everburning torch around her neck.

Thus prepared, Lissa eyes Darius and the rope. "Anyone see a place where we can tie this end of the rope? No offense, Darius, but after what happened to Hajih it might not be the best idea to leave someone up here alone."

(OOC: Everything is now stowed in Lissa's handy haversack except her armor, rapier, and everburning torch.)

HempRope
2005-09-14, 08:44 PM

"Great. Thanks a lot, Liss..." he finds the shift, and holds it up. He holds it up in front of himself, and raises his eyebrows.
He looks around it at her, and gives her a rye smile.
"I'll spare you this one."

He flings it towards her, but it doesn't get very far, floating to the ground about halfway between them.
He shrugs, picks it up, and carries it the rest of the way to her. Still with a sort of half-smile.

He then goes back to his stuff, and slings his pack from his back. He does his best to waterproof the scrollcases with the shirt and scarf, and then puts them in his pack. He unrolls his bedroll, and then rewraps it, with two pouches from his belt in the middle. That goes in next, folowed by his pouch of slingstones, which he ties to the pack with his sling.
He checks his spear, and then draws out a thin stick of straight, greenish wood with a bulbous head. A couple of gestures and a short incantation leaves it glowing like Sheyra's new 'headband.'

"All right. I'm prepared as I will ever be..."

He takes a deep breath, and squares his shoulders.

((Ready.))

Frojoe21
2005-09-14, 10:19 PM
Aeroz, Elf Swashbuckler

This isn't gonna end well Aeroz thinks to himself as he removes his chainmail.

"Hey Lissa? Got any room for this?" Aeroz Says as he drops the armor on the ground. He has a bit of a grimace on his face, as if he is taking every bad outcome to the extreme.

Well, I might as well learn how to swim now...

Elmorwen
2005-09-15, 08:00 AM
Sheyra, human monk

"Is everyone ready?" Sheyra asks. After getting a response, she says, "Brace yourselves. The water's really cold," before climbing back into the pool.

Dr._Bob
2005-09-15, 10:14 AM
Sheyra slips back under the water with the rope. Once she has resurfaced on the other side, she gives a quick tug on the rope.

"Was it one tug for danger or one tug means it's safe?" she wonders to herself. She waits a moment then tugs twice on the rope for good measure.

The mixed signals cause some initial confusion, but in the end the rest of the party follows the guide rope into the hidden grotto, one by one.

Soon, everyone is huddled, shivering and wet, on the "beach" of this hidden cave. The drag marks are clearly visible heading into a dark tunnel deeper into the Underdark. If Hajih is still alive, no doubt he is at the end of that trail ...

HempRope
2005-09-15, 03:33 PM
Again, I ask, 'Is there water??'

Achkby immediately checks his scroll cases for damage to their precious contents. Assuming none:

He tosses the clothing back to Lissa, saying, "Thaks a lot. Really."

Then he looks around at his diismal-loking companions, and announces, "Well, we came through that horrid, watery tunnel to rescue that ineffectual guide, so let's get to it."

He slings his pack down, and unpacks and reequips everything that he stored in it before the swim, checking to make sure that the pouches in his bedroll have suffered no damage.

The_King_of_Durf
2005-09-15, 03:48 PM
Darius will grab the rope and roll it up. "We don't want anyone following us." He then holds up his everburning torch and walks off in the lead, following the trail.

HempRope
2005-09-15, 04:03 PM

"Hold on, Darius," Achkby cautions. "We should make sure that everyone else is ready before going on. Speed may be important, but readiness is doubly so."

The_King_of_Durf
2005-09-15, 04:09 PM
Darius

Darius takes another step, eager to go on, but then turns and waits for the others to get ready. "I suppose you're right. Try to hurry people, a man's life is more important than the crap you carry around."

Especially if that man's life is in your hands.

"Well, at least the bastard gave us a trail we could follow for once." he says, his mouth grins a little but his eyes stay cold and dark.

Phasm
2005-09-15, 09:01 PM
Lissa, rogue

Lissa surfaces with a splutter, which quickly turns into breathless cursing. "You weren't kidding, Sheyra! Aiee, a few more minutes and I would be a gnome-shaped ice sculpture!"

She pulls herself onto the rocky shore, wrings her soggy braid out, then drops her pack on a dry patch of rock and opens it. "Okay, chainmail for Aeroz... there ya go." She heaves the suit out of the backpack, and it lands in a clinking pile. Still dry. "Quiver and crossbow for me, check. Oh, thanks, Achkby." Lissa reclaims her spare clothes. "Did they work for you okay?" Lissa starts to reload the crossbow with damp, shaking hands, then stops. "Bugger this for a game of soldiers. I'm getting dry before I do anything else!" With that, she sets down the crossbow, digs a spare cloak out of the Amazing Magic Backpack, and begins vigorously toweling herself off. "That's good... now for better."

She glances covertly at the resident sorcerer to make sure he's watching. A few chanted words and odd gestures later, Lissa's soggy leather armor and damp hair are steaming. The gnome smiles contentedly. "Ahh... warm." Hands now warmed up, she proceeds to load her crossbow and remove the everburning torch from its string around her neck. "Okay, who's scouting this time?"

(OOC: Prestidigitation ability is now used up for the day... or whatever you call it in the Underdark.)

Frojoe21
2005-09-15, 10:03 PM
Aeroz, Elf Swashbuckler

Aeroz dons his chainmail and draws his blade, readying to face whatever may come.

"Well, it could be worse."

[OOC: For the drow, it would be a cycle of Narbondel. For the illithids it is whenever they damn feel like it, and for everyone else, its before something skewers them]

The_King_of_Durf
2005-09-16, 03:30 PM
Darius

"This time we'll head forward as a group, I don't want to risk having another death on my hands so I'll lead." Darius says, seeing that everyone is ready and then setting off on the trail, everburning torch held high above his head.

Elmorwen
2005-09-16, 03:56 PM
Sheyra, human monk

Sheyra takes a moment to wring out her wet hair, then picks up her backpack. "Darius is right," she says. "We should hurry."

HempRope
2005-09-16, 05:33 PM

Watching the gnomish lady use a quick spell to dry herself out, Achkby enthusiastically says, "Good idea, Lissa."

He, too, casts a simple spell, and after a few moments, his clothes appear dry.

"Anyone else want to dry out and warm up?" he asks cheerfully.

Using Prestidigitation to first warm my sodden clothes, and then dry them. Then dry out my other possessions. Will do the same for others for as long as the spell lasts.

Dr._Bob
2005-09-17, 09:07 PM
Thanks to a clever use of a simple cantrip, Lissa and Achkby manage to have the party more or less warm and dry in just a minute or two.

Following Darius, the party heads into the dark tunnel, following the drag marks. His torch illuminates the way 40 ft ahead. Sedryn mutters a prayer, hoping that it isn't too late to save Hajih ...

The tunnel is fairly narrow, crooked, and quite irregular, forcing everyone to move in single file. Water glistens on the ground and drips from the walls. The ground slopes gently downward, and after about 100 yards the passage straightens and widens enough so that you can move two abreast. After another 100 yards, the passage opens into a vast chasm.

Your party finds itself on a 40 ft x 20 ft ledge jutting out into empty blackness. A well-maintained rope bridge extends into the darkness.

Suddenly, a gruff voice calls out from the darkness beyond the reach of Darius' torch, "Hold it! That's far enough! Who are you people, and what are you doing down here?"

HempRope
2005-09-17, 11:45 PM

Achkby, nervous, strains his eyes, trying to peer farther out into the gloom. He readies a spell to shed light on the speaker if need be, trying to find his location by the sound of his voice if he cannot see the man.

I will cast Dancing Lights if I feel threatened. Also, will try to find the dude. Using hearing to find him if necessary -- yes, at a minus 2 penalty if I have to!!!

The_King_of_Durf
2005-09-17, 11:58 PM
"We're searching for a friend, we mean you no harm!" Darius says, heading closer to the voice and holding the torch up higher to try and see the speaker.

Duergar? Maybe something worse... well, I knew we couldn't get through the Underdark without fighting something.

Frojoe21
2005-09-18, 12:56 PM
Aeroz, Elf Swashbuckler

Aeroz keeps his mouth shut and his rapier readied, not knowing what might be waiting. He also draws his dagger from his belt, keeping the other four concealed.

bhdrake
2005-09-18, 03:59 PM
Gruff voice

The voice calls out again, a more rustic tone becoming recognizable, something you'd hear more frequently on a farm than in the Underdark. A veil of mild annoyance fails to conceal the tinge of uncertainty underlying it.

"Yer friend, eh? Rough place ta lose a friend."

There is the sound of something being dragged back from the far end of the bridge, accompanied by audible metallic footfalls, as if the owner of the voice is trying to move further away from the light.

""Feel free ta answer my first question when ya get the chance. I ain't in any rush."

HempRope
2005-09-18, 05:18 PM

Achkby casts his spell, causing four torchlike lights to spring into existence around and slightly behind where he thinks that the voice is coming from.

((Ye gods, so many cantrips!))

Phasm
2005-09-18, 07:42 PM
Lissa, rogue

Lissa has been straining to see the source of the voice- on tiptoes, leaning out over the side of the bridge- without much success. She sighs, irritated. "Man, the Gray Cousins got all the good gifts. Why didn't we at least get darkvision instead of low-light?"

As the gnome hears Achkby chanting the familiar words of dancing lights (one of the three cantrips Lissa can cast), she grins, shoves the everburning torch into her belt, and raises her loaded crossbow to point toward the voice. Just in case...

(OOC: Ready action to fire if the other party proves hostile. Lissa will NOT initiate combat, unless one of the senior party members- Darius, Aeroz, Sedryn- orders her to fire first.)

Dr._Bob
2005-09-18, 08:46 PM
The dancing lights blink into existence 100 ft away from Achkby, illuminating the far end of the rope bridge.

A short but broad-shouldered half-orc, clad in plate mail, stands on the opposite ledge 120 ft away. His body seems somewhat misshapen and asymmetric, but he moves surprisingly gracefully, drawing back an arrow that he already had nocked on the string of his longbow.

Hajih lies at his feet, bound and gagged, but otherwise appearing to be unhurt.

A few seconds pass as both sides wait for the other to make the first move.

bhdrake
2005-09-18, 10:28 PM
Half-Orc Warrior

The orc seems thouroughly stunned by the sudden appearance of the lights. His head cants forward slightly, squinting forward awkwardly, though his bow remains at ready.

He growls the low sound audible over a distance, before barking a choppy response, "Yeah, light, swell. I'm still waiting."

His concern seems legitimate, as he seems unable to clearly see you over the distance. His gritted expression betrays a tired wariness and suspicion. Either way, he doesn't seem inclined to back down, waiting out the standoff tensely.

Elmorwen
2005-09-19, 09:14 AM
Sheyra, human monk

Sheyra lets out a barely audible sigh of relief at the sight of Hajih. She tenses her body, however, and looks ready for a fight.

Frojoe21
2005-09-19, 09:28 AM
Aeroz, Elf Swashbuckler

"I beleive thats our friend you have bound and gagged over there. It would be greatly appreciated if you were to hand him over. He wont do you much good, being a lousy guide and all"

Aeroz sheathes his rapier as a sign of good faith, but holds his dagger in a way that hides it behind his forearm.

The_King_of_Durf
2005-09-19, 05:38 PM
Darius

Darius will head across the bridge slowly and cautiously with his hand on the ropes at either side.

bhdrake
2005-09-19, 06:06 PM
Lumpy, Half-Orc Warrior

The half-orc tracks Darius as he moves closer, more out of caution than overt hostility. Oddly enough, as the man closes, he seems to become less tense as opposed to more.

Eventually, he drops his aim, relaxing his bow, though he makes no move to unstring the arrow.

Up closer, Lumpy is visibly bedraggled, wet dirty, and beaten up. He looks tired and irritable, a half-hearted scowl still directed across the bridge towards the others. Finally, he calls out again, though his tone has lightened somewhat.

"Well, if the rest'a ya ain't dark elves, or what have ya, ya'd do better ta come where I can see ya. Unless ya'd rather leave yer friend tied up all day. Or something nasty comes this way, whichever happens first"

The_King_of_Durf
2005-09-19, 08:15 PM
"If your an enemy of the drow, you're a friend of ours." Darius says, relaxing and walking calmy towards the end of the rope bridge at his usual pace.

"How long have you been down here anyways?"

Phasm
2005-09-19, 09:00 PM
Lissa, rogue

The wary rogue follows her companions across, sure-footed even on the swaying rope bridge. She keeps her crossbow at the ready, not bothering to put a hand down on the guide-ropes. Not the most stable bridge I've ever crossed, but by Baravar it beats balancing on a windowsill!

Lissa stops a few feet away, peering distrustfully at the half-orc over her crossbow. "So if you're friendly and all, why have you got Hajih trussed up there like a roast? He's certainly no drow. And neither are we."

bhdrake
2005-09-19, 09:15 PM
Lumpy, Half-Orc Warrior

Lumpy shrugs, almost casually in response to Darius' question, "A week, mebbe two? Hard ta tell when everything's in black and white. I'm running out'a food, anyway."

He slings his bow, replacing the arrow in it's quiver in a practiced maneuver, seemingly content with the makeup of the party, before kneeling to unbind Hajih. He leaves his eyes on the others, obviously not quite beyond his doubts,That's a house rule down here. Act first, figger things out later. Best way ta stay alive. And don't go anywhere alone." He flicks a meaningful glance back down at Hajih as if for emphasis, before continuing, "So what brings a colorful bunch like yerselves down here? That Svirf got ya on a fool's errand too?"

He finishes with Hajih, stepping back to give him room.

HempRope
2005-09-19, 10:43 PM

"Actually, we're on an... errand, some of us. It led us to the Glimmersea, but we've sort of been wandering around here for a while."

Zeal
2005-09-20, 12:21 AM
Hajih, Human Ranger

Standing up, Hajih shakes off the rope and stretches a bit before shaking his head. He turns to the half-orc and looses a string of obscenities that would make a long shore man blush.
"...And that’s what I'll do to you if you ever tie me up again." Looking embarrassed for a moment, Hajih turns towards the bridge "did anyone grab my pack or my hawk?" Hajih pauses for a moment before taking a long swig from his flask and glaring menacingly at the half-orc.

Dr._Bob
2005-09-20, 01:13 PM
Fortunately, Hajih's pack and bird managed to make their way through the underwater passage, tucked away in Lissa's magic backpack.

The hawk flaps over to Hajih and settles down on his shoulder, grooming his feathers with an irritated air.

HempRope
2005-09-20, 03:00 PM

Achkby directs the lights around the area they're in, checking for anything interesting, dangerous, or extraordinary.

Then he turns to Haji's captor, and says, "Well, we've told you why we're down here. Why are you here, eh?"

And what made you think that you could take our ineffectual guide from us?

bhdrake
2005-09-20, 06:52 PM
Lumpy Tichkeck

Lumpy snorts belligerantly in response to Hajih, before glancing back to Achkby,

"There's a grey gnome in Velprintalar. I WAS on business fer him, but seeing as the rest of the morons he hired have gone and gotten themselves killed by Drow or worse, I call that a moot point."

The_King_of_Durf
2005-09-20, 09:34 PM
Darius

"Did you meet this gnome at the Golden Griffon by any chance? And what was the assignment he sent you on?"

bhdrake
2005-09-21, 11:54 AM
Lumpy

Lumpy looks for a moment like he doesn't want to say, but then then grunts a grudging affirmative, "Not like it matters anymore anyway. We were s'posed ta take these cloaked women, all secretive-like, through here, across some glimmerwater or something. Apparently, ya can get all the way through ta Telflamm if yer crazy enough."

He shrugs, buying a little time to collect his thoughts, "There was nine'a us that left the Griffon, the women, three'a them, and six others. We made it ta that stupid underground lake, but they were in such a rush, we ran right inta a pack a Dhazzir there. I was the only one with enough sense ta cut and run when things went south. 'Far as I know, they're all dead now, or slaves."

The_King_of_Durf
2005-09-21, 01:57 PM
Daiurs

Darius grins a little, "Ya don't say..."

"So you know how to get there from here?"

Dr._Bob
2005-09-21, 08:10 PM
The half-orc indicates that almost any downhill passage from this point on will eventually lead to the shores of the Glimmersea. The trick is not finding the Glimmersea; the trick is getting from here to there without running into any drow slavers (or worse) ...

You rest on the ledge, eating some rations and sipping at your water. You are all almost completely out of drinking water at this point, especially the half-orc who is also completely out of food.

Sedryn volunteers to go back across the bridge, back to the room with the water (and the "beach") to replenish your waterskins (despite the risk). He slings your waterskins over his shoulder and heads back across the swaying rope bridge ...

HempRope
2005-09-21, 08:15 PM

"Maybe someone should go with him..." says Achkby, not making a move to follow the man.

After a moment, though, he shakes his head, and jumps forward, heading off after Sedryn.

"It'll be me. I've saved his skin once, and I'll be damned if I won't rescue him again, if I have to."

He swings his spear from his back, and hurries after Sedryn.

"Watch our new friend!" he calls out over his shoulder. "You should get well acquainted."

Does Sedryn have a lightsource? If so, Achkby will just stick close to him. If not, he'll cast light on the spearhead. This is a helluva lot of cantrips.

Frojoe21
2005-09-21, 08:20 PM
Aeroz, Elf Swashbuckler

"Well, it is a pleasure to meet you, but I do not beleive you have given us your name."

bhdrake
2005-09-21, 10:14 PM
Lumpy, Half-Orc Warrior

Lumpy remains standing, alternating between watching the others eat, and staring into the darkness, his sharp gaze making out the surroudings even beyond the range of lights. He appears unwilling to ask the others for any help, despite his own lack of food and almost seems to miss Aeroz' question, out of focus as he is,

"Eh? Oh, Lumpy."

Dr._Bob
2005-09-22, 08:53 AM
Sheyra generously offers to share her food with Lumpy. The incongruity of the petite human girl sharing her meager rations with the large, battle-scarred half-orc seems not at all out of place here, deep in the Underdark.

Sedryn keeps one of the everyburning torches held high in one hand as he cautiously makes his way back across the rope bridge. Achkby follows close behind.

You party has been extremely lucky not to have encountered any significant danger so far in the Underdark (except for Lumpy). Unfortunately, your party's luck has just run out ...

Sedryn freezes about halfway across the bridge. "There's someone there!" The rope bridge sways gently as he and Achkby peer intently at the far end of the bridge. It is hard to make out who or what is waiting at the far end, but there's no question that Sedryn and Achkby are sitting ducks as they stand in the middle of the rope bridge with the everburning torch ...

Frojoe21
2005-09-22, 09:13 AM
[OOC: can the rest of the party see their predicament? if so then]

Aeroz, Elf Swashbuckler

Aeroz fits a bolt to his crossbow and begins to aim for the figure coming towards them. If at any point he can see who is coming, if it looks threatening, he will fire.

Dr._Bob
2005-09-22, 09:43 AM
The rest of the party, sitting on the ledge, notices that Sedryn and Achkby have stopped, but there isn't enough light for anyone to make out what is happening at the far end of the bridge ...

Aeroz senses that there is something wrong, however, and quickly loads his crossbow.

bhdrake
2005-09-22, 04:10 PM
Lumpy

The orc accepts Sheyra's offered food with an almost surprised look, and a few awkwardly rumbled thanks. He doesn't waste much time eating, downing what little food there is in a few gulps. For a moment, he seems almost content, but his content expression reverts to its dour norm as Aeroz jumps to action,

"What're ya all worked up over now, elf?"

He follows Aeroz' gaze with his own, but is unable to see through the darkness at such a great distance. Warily, he begins to approach their end of the bridge, hoping to bring whatever the problem is within range of his darkvision. He leaves his weapons slung, but seems ready to jump for them if needed.

HempRope
2005-09-22, 06:41 PM

Achkby quietly casts a spell, conjuring up a thin wall of force around his body. Mage Armor
He peers into the darkness, straining his eyes to see to the end of the bridge.

"Who's there?" he asks sharply.

The_King_of_Durf
2005-09-22, 09:07 PM
Darius calls over to Achkby and Sedryn, trying to get his voice at just the right volume so that they can hear but whatever is at the other end is just out of reach.

"Get back here! Whatever that is it's probably pursuing us! We can refill at the Glimmersea, get back so I can cut the ropes!"

He glares off into the darkness, notching an arrow to his bow after loosening his sword in it's sheath.

Zeal
2005-09-22, 09:29 PM
Hajih, Human Ranger

Hajih swings his crossbow from his backpack and loads it. At Darius's suggestion he places the crossbow pack on his backpack and pulls a rapier and hammer from his belt.
"Get back quick, I can hold off whatever is on the other side for however long it takes for us to get away."

The_King_of_Durf
2005-09-23, 09:17 PM
Darius

"Okay, there's the plan then. Everyone take out your bows and aim, wait until they make it back across the bride, fire at the pursuers. When they get off the bridge, I'll cut the rope. Hajih, you and me'll cover them"

bhdrake
2005-09-24, 08:29 AM
Lumpy

Lumpy simply stands at the end of the bridge staring into the darkness. Though one hand now rest on the flail at his belt, he makes no move to acknowledge either Darius' of Hajih's commands, waiting until he can see what the commotion is over before he acts.

Elmorwen
2005-09-24, 11:35 AM
Sheyra, human monk

Sheyra's eyes strain through the darkness, desperately trying to see what's going on. She stands up and begins to walk slowly towards the light of the everburning torch.

Dr._Bob
2005-09-24, 12:42 PM
Without warning, Sedryn's everburning torch is snuffed out, plunging him and Achkby into complete darkness.

The rest of you gathered on the ledge can't see anything past the first third of the rope bridge - beyond that, all is black. The bridge trembles and sways, indicating frantic movement.

A half dozen black missiles hiss out of the blackness, shattering on the stone behind you ...

The_King_of_Durf
2005-09-24, 12:55 PM
Darius pulls Sheyra back. "Everyone get down behind the rock!"

Dammit, what can I do? I can't shoot, I need light.

"Sedryn! Achkby! Get back here!" he yells at the top of his lungs.

Zeal
2005-09-24, 01:12 PM
Hajih, Human Ranger

"Damn! Don't cut the bridge just yet" At those words Hajih starts running across the bridge.

HempRope
2005-09-24, 01:48 PM

Achkby casts a quick spell, causing his spearhead to flare up like a torch.

He will move somewhere, depending on what he can see...

Frojoe21
2005-09-24, 02:04 PM
Aeroz, Elf Swashbuckler

"Keep quiet will you. If he knows we are here, that this wont work" Aeroz whispers loudly. He keeps his crossbow trained on the figure.

bhdrake
2005-09-24, 08:34 PM
Lumpy, Half-Orc Warrior

Lumpy growls, low and powerful, unnaccustomed to his inability to see through the dark. For the first time, his hand drops to his flail, unhooking it from his belt in a smooth motion. He backs up half a step, raising his other arm to place a plated forearm between the danger and his otherwise unprotected face.

Phasm
2005-09-25, 01:56 AM
Lissa, rogue

Lissa has cocked her crossbow and was maneuvering to get a good shot at the end of the bridge when Sedryn's light went out. She pauses, straining to see. Of course, she can't see any better than anyone else. "Achkby! Sedryn! Sing out, one of you, so we know where you are!" An arrow clatters on the stone beside her, and the rogue hastily dives behind a rock outcropping. What now? I've got a couple darkvision scrolls, but if somebody cast a darkness spell over there it won't work. Wait... let's test that hypothesis... The gnome shifts her crossbow to one hand and chants a few words in Gnomish, gesturing with her free hand. Four torch-bright balls of light in varying shades of purple, pink and blue wink into existence several feet away. With a shooing gesture, Lissa sends them shooting toward the last place she saw Achkby and Sedryn.

(OOC: Dancing lights racial ability is now used up for the day-cycle.)

Dr._Bob
2005-09-25, 09:29 AM
Lissa sends the dancing lights across the bridge towards Achkby and Sedryn. As she feared, the balls of light are swallowed up by the blackness, vanishing like pebbles thrown into a pond. The edge of the darkness lies about 40 ft away.

Meanwhile, Achkby illuminates the head of his spear - unfortunately, the light spell merely creates a sickly faint purple glow, barely visible at arm's length.

Sedryn and Achkby begin to retreat back toward their companions. Vibrations on the rope bridge tell them that others are approaching from the far side.

When Sedryn and Achkby emerge from the darkness, Achkby's light fully illuminates the near end of the bridge. Hajih is there to meet them, and the three carefully edge their way back to relative safety.

The bridge continues to vibrate and two more bolts streak out of the darkness. One glances off of Lumpy's armor. Glancing down at the shattered projectile, Lumpy recognizes the handiwork of the dark elves and groans. Damn it!

The_King_of_Durf
2005-09-25, 10:42 AM
(OOC: I'm assuming relative safety is the ledge, if not, discard this post)

Darius

Darius puts the arrow back in it's sheath and slides the bow back across his back. He takes his sword and begins sawing furiously at the ropes holding up the bridge.

"Someone get the other side, everybody else cover us!"

HempRope
2005-09-25, 10:59 AM

Achkby quickly resheathes his spear, takes out his sling, loading a stone into it. Then he steps back to behind the outcropping with Lissa.
"Damn! I hope Lumpy's right, and we can get to the Glimmersea by just going down..." he trails off, and just stands for a moment, waiting for someone to show themself, spells and sling ready.
Fearing the arrival of more arrows, he hastily casts a defensive spell, sheathing himself in a protective layer of magical force.
Then, he turns, and calls to Lumpy, "Oi! Lumpy! Any idea what it is that's attacking us?"

Sheath weapon, draw weapon, move to cover, cast Mage Armor. Admittedly, slightly more than a single turn, but...
AC 18
HP 14

Frojoe21
2005-09-25, 12:23 PM
Aeroz, Elf Swashbuckler

Aeroz peers from behind and tries to make out the shape of the assailant. If he can tell that they are drow, he fires, trying to find an opening on them (Preferably a head)

Light Crossbow +6
Damage 1d6+1d6(Sneak Attack)
HP 23
AC 17

Zeal
2005-09-25, 01:50 PM
Hajih, Human Ranger

(OOC: I assume you meant the ledge when you said relative safety-Also shouldn't there be a new thread due to the fact this one is over 50 pages or so long?)

Hajih swings the hammer back onto his belt and begins sawing at the other side of the bridge with his rapier.

HP: 23
AC: 15

Elmorwen
2005-09-25, 01:59 PM
Sheyra stands so her body is mostly blocking Darius and prepares to deal with incoming projectiles.

(Ready an action to Deflect Arrows, Ref save +6)

Phasm
2005-09-25, 03:57 PM
Lissa, rogue

Lissa swears briefly but fervently in Gnomish as the dancing lights are swallowed by the darkness spell. With a beckoning gesture, she calls them back to hover at the near edge of the darkness, over the bridge. "There. Now hopefully we'll be able to see whoever comes out of there," she mutters.

Lissa smiles tightly as Achkby joins her behind the rock. "Heyla, Achkby. Nice to see you in one piece." The gnome shoves her everburning torch into her pack (now having Achkby's light spell to see by) and takes her crossbow in both hands. Cautiously she points the loaded crossbow over the rock, peering through the darkness for a target. Callarduran Smoothhands, lord and protector of those who venture into the World Below, please aid us now!

(OOC: Direct dancing lights to a point above the bridge just outside the darkness. Ready action to fire crossbow if an enemy shows itself on or near the bridge.
HP 22
AC 17)

bhdrake
2005-09-25, 07:34 PM
Lumpy, Half-Orc Warrior

Lumpy scowls openly now, gritting words out between clenched fangs, "Whaddaya think? Drow.. They've always been a step ahead'a me."

He drops the arm from in front of his face, he slides his other hand down to grip the haft of his flail, which he drops into a low ready stance, taking a position at the head of the bridge to stop any dark elves from getting across before the others cut the ropes.

(OOC: If Lumpy's initiative is high enough, he'll ready an action to trip any enemy that gets within melee range of him. otherwise, he'll try and do it when his turn comes

+10 to hit, +14 on the opposed check, and a free attack if successful.
HP 31
AC 19)

Dr._Bob
2005-09-26, 09:47 AM
Sedryn and Achkby scramble to cover while Darius and Hajih try to cut the ropes supporting the bridge.

Lissa and Aeroz take up defensive positions, their crossbows aimed at the edge of the darkness.

Sheyra and Lumpy stand at the foot of the bridge, blocking any passage.

Darius saws away at the thick fibrous ropes, but Hajih discovers that his rapier, primarily designed for thrusting, is of no use. He sheathes his rapier and fumbles for another weapon.

Meanwhile, all eyes are on the edge of the darkness. The bridge continues to tremble as someone or something continues to approach ... closer ... closer ...

Finally, a shaggy humanoid emerges from the darkness into the bright illumination from Lissa's dancing lights and Achkby's light. You can clearly see the hulking creature's chalky gray skin and bulging shoulders and arms. Stringy black locks frame coarse, brutish features. Most striking is the fact that the creature has no eyes - grimlock! Three additional creatures follow close behind the first one.

Aeroz's and Lissa's crossbow bolts strike the first grimlock, and it topples off of the bridge into the darkness of the chasm. After a surprisingly long time, you hear a faint kersplash! as its body strikes water below. The other three grimlocks continue their relentless approach, oblivious to their companion's fate. They are a mere 30 ft away, moving slowly but methodically across the bridge.

Black crossbow bolts continue to streak towards your party as your unseen assailants continue to take potshots at you. Sheyra grabs one bolt out of the air, just before it would have struck Darius. Looking at the bolt she notices an oily sheen on its needle sharp head - poison!

In the midst of the chaos, there is a flash of light behind you, in the tunnel leading downward away from the bridge. You can hear voices and movement coming from the tunnel. A faint glow of light is visible around a bend. It looks like you might be surrounded ...

OOC: The Baron PM'd me that it would be OK to start a new thread after tying things up in this one. Once this encounter is resolved, we will continue the campaign in a new thread ...

Phasm
2005-09-26, 01:21 PM
Lissa, rogue

Lissa whoops as Aeroz's and her crossbow bolts strike true, and the presumably dead grimlock topples off the bridge. "Hah! Take that, you... you... eyeless thing!" As she shouts, the gnome is busily reloading her crossbow. Just as Lissa recocks the loaded bow, though, a light catches her eye and she turns to see a moving light source in the tunnel behind them. She hears voices and footsteps as well. "People! We've got company coming from behind!"

Sighting once more on the grimlocks, Lissa shoots again. TWANG!

(OOC: Reload the crossbow and shoot it.)

bhdrake
2005-09-26, 02:42 PM
Lumpy, Half-Orc Warrior

Lumpy keeps his stance as the grimlocks approach, relying on his armor to protect him from the bolts hissing by. His expression has lost much of it's grimness, replaced by almost eager anticipation, as if he knows he was born to fight, and might as well look forward to it.

As Lissa calls out, Lumpy glances back distractedly, growling out a quick response, "Drow don't need light any more than I do. Less, even." He leaves it at that, content to let others extrapolate what they will from that.

(OOC Still waiting for them to close in)

The_King_of_Durf
2005-09-26, 02:56 PM
Darius

Darius continues sawing at the rope furiously. He watches as Sheyra catches the poison arrow in front of him, "Thanks, I owe you one."

Then he hears the commotion behind him. "Aeroz, replace Hajih at the rope! We're not gonna get flanked! Sedryn, Lumpy, keep it up! Hajih, Achkby, and Lissa, keep attacking the ones on the bridge until you can see what's coming from behind us! Let's give 'em hell!"

((OOC: Quite the epic encounter!))

HempRope
2005-09-26, 03:49 PM

"Lumpy's right," calls Achkby, "Why would Drows need light?"

Then he begins chanting, casting a complex spell with long, drawn-out hand gestures, and many harsh, crackling syllables at the end. He finishes by hurling an arm out towards the grimlock at the rear of the advancing ones.
A bolt of bluish-white electricity shoots towards the creature.

AC: 18
HP: 14
Touch Attack: Melf's Acid Arrow, Energy Substitution for Electricity, at +5, 2d4 Electricity damage.

Elmorwen
2005-09-26, 06:49 PM
Sheyra, human monk

"They might be surfacers," Sheyra says about the people with the light, "But that doesn't mean they won't hurt us." She stays right where she is, blocking the bridge.

Frojoe21
2005-09-26, 07:04 PM
Aeroz reloads his crossbow and fires at another grimlock, again, trying to aim for a weak point. "Achby's right, why would drow need light" Aeroz mutters to himself before yelling to Darius "I'm sort of in a tight situation here. I'm better off picking these guys off from a distance"

Light Crossbow +6
Damage: 1d6+1d6(sneak attack)
HP 23
AC 17

[OOC: Bhdrake, I took a look at your character sheet, and I dont see how your stats fit in to 25 point buy. Are you sure you got them right?]

The_King_of_Durf
2005-09-26, 08:08 PM
Darius

"Fine then." Darius will continue sawing at the rope on his side.

((I'll move over if I finish this side within the turn, if not I'll post my action for next turn))

Dr._Bob
2005-09-26, 08:11 PM
Darius continues to hack away at the ropes, severing several of the thick hemp cables. The rope bridge sways crazily, but the grimlocks hang on for their lives and continue their approach.

Aeroz and Lissa pick off another grimlock who, like his predecessor, tumbles off of the bridge only to splash into unseen water far below.

Lightning arcs from Achkby's fingertips, searing the rearmost grimlock. Smoke rises from the entrance and exit wound left by the electricity. The grimlock hardly reacts as it continues to wobble its way forward.

Almost simultaenously, the veil of darkness vanishes, revealing four more grimlocks making their way across the bridge (bringing the total number of surviving grimlocks to six). They show no fear as they slowly close in on the ledge, the nearest one is only 10 ft away ...

Even with the darkness dispelled, none of you are able to make out the hidden assailants at the far end of the bridge. Unfortunately, apparently they can see you just fine now ...

Six more crossbow bolts scream towards your position. This time they are aimed with merciless precision at Darius and Sheyra. She deflects one, and dodges another, but a third creases her shoulder. Two bolts strike Darius, while the third narrowly misses. The first bolt fails to penetrate his armor, but the second strikes true knocking him off his feet.

Darius feels a little woozy as the drow poison seeps into his veins, but he shakes it off, focusing on the task at hand. He looks up at Sheyra who is checking her shoulder. "It's just a flesh wound!" she reassures him ... then the color drains from her face and she slumps to the ground unconscious.

Sedryn fingers his mace uneasily, stepping over Sheyra protectively. "Lathander preserve us! We're sitting ducks on this ledge!"

OOC: Frojoe is right. Lumpy has too many points. Simplest fix would be to reduce INT to 12.

The_King_of_Durf
2005-09-26, 08:37 PM
Darius

"Urgh..."

Darius vision goes blurry, he starts seeing double, then glares and straightens his vision, continuing to saw furiously away at the rope.

"Break, dammit!"

Hopefully I'll have this one done by the next volley, there's nothing I'd like to see more than those bastards fall.

Zeal
2005-09-26, 08:46 PM
Hajih Human Ranger

Swinging his crossbow from its hook on his pack, Hajih fires his already loaded bolt.
(OOC: Drawing crossbow and firing bolt at the nearest Grimlock))
Heavy Crossbow +6
Damage:
HP 23
AC 15

Phasm
2005-09-26, 09:05 PM
Lissa, rogue

Lissa curses fervently as Sheyra falls. The rogue starts reloading her light crossbow once more with frantic haste. "That wasn't a fatal shot, or even a disabling one... those bolts must be poisoned!" She sights on the lead grimlock, loosing her bolt with another twang. "Sedryn's right! Got any brilliant ideas, Darius?"

(OOC: Load and shoot again. HP 22, AC 17.)

The_King_of_Durf
2005-09-26, 09:10 PM
"We could always go towards th' light. I think the poison in me is slowing my train of thought... and when did you grow two heads? Oh wait, never mind."

She's back to three again, that was a close one. Pink elephants!

bhdrake
2005-09-26, 09:28 PM
Lumpy, Half-Orc Warrior

Lumpy shifts afterr the next volley, trying to keep his braod form between Darius as he tries to cut the ropes. The motion is reminiscant of a bodyguard defending his charge, and seems strangely out of place from a nearly total stranger. Again he speaks, hardly more than a grolw shaped into words, "Even if ya cut the bridge, they can still shoot us."

He shrugs, regardless, "Fight or flee, pick one. Ain't time fer a vote. He seems oddly content to let someone else make the decision, for his part still waiting for his flail to come into play.

(OOC My bad.. I must've gotten wires crossed while I was finagling with stats. I did dex -1 and int -1. I think it's correct now, but someone should probably check it for me)

HempRope
2005-09-26, 09:50 PM

Achkby moves out from behind the rock, smiling grimly as the Grimlock he hit is wracked by another spasm of electricity from the same spell.

He dashes towards the bridge, and cries to his friends, "Once we get this bridge cut, we'd better just flee! I'd rather try my chances against whatever's down that tunnel than against whatever's shooting us!"

With that, he holds his hand just above the rope from the bridge that Darius isn't cutting, and casts the same spell as he did before, but faster, without any of the crackling syllables at the end.
This time, viscous acid shoots from his hand. When it hits the rope, it starts burning the fibers away.
"The acid should take care of this side!" he shouts into the chaos.

AC: 18
HP: 14
*2d4 electricity damage to the second Grimlock, form the spell cast last round.
*(2d4?) acid damage to the rope holding the bridge to the ledge on the side that Darius isn't cutting

Dr._Bob
2005-09-27, 09:00 AM
The first grimlock is almost to the ledge when there is a loud TWANG! as the last of the main ropes is severed. The remainder of the ropes snap in two -thwip, thwip, thwip, thwip!

The bridge begins to fall, as if in slow motion. The half dozen grimlocks look up sightlessly as they drop. Most manage to hold on as the bridge drops away into the darkness. You can hear, but not see, the bridge slam into the far wall. A series of faint splashes follows.

From across the yawning crevasse come some surprised voices in a language unfamiliar to you. More crossbow bolts streak across the chasm, and your group wisely decides to withdraw back into the tunnel. Sedryn picks up Sheyra and carries her out of harm's way.

The tunnel is wide and dry, sloping gently downward. Your party is sheltered from any projectile fire, and after a few moments, your assailants give up and stop shooting.

Ahead of you, you hear voices and can see a light source just around a bend in the tunnel. The voices become hushed whispers. It seems that they are aware of your presence as well ...

bhdrake
2005-09-27, 10:00 AM
Lumpy, Half-Orc Warrior

Lumpy looks disappointed that the fight ended before he got a chance to participate, but his face still retains some eagerness at the prospect of whoever might be around the bend. He speaks, loud enough to carry fairly well, though probably not intentionally, "We're kind'a in a hurry here. Those damned elves pobably know another way around, and I don't wanna be standing here when they find it."

HempRope
2005-09-27, 03:11 PM
I'm assuming that my spell wasn't necessary, then?

When the bridge falls, Achkby cries, "Excellent!," but the glow from down the tunnel quickly pulls him back into a grim mood.

"Well, let's hope that whoever's down there is more friendly," he murmurs.
He puts his sling back on his belt, and draws his spear. He holds it up, high over his head, and out in front of him, trying to peer as far down the tunnel as possible with the help of its light.

The_King_of_Durf
2005-09-27, 03:45 PM
Darius

"Hahah!" Darius cackles out. He stands up to his full height yelling out "Burn in hell, scum!" as the bridge falls.

When the party finally is out of reach he yanks the arrow from his body and throws it to the floor, stomping on it.

"Sedyrn, could you heal Sheyra and I before we go into battle again? Tholse people are most likely dangerous, and I think the poison is getting to me."

Zeal
2005-09-27, 07:37 PM
Hajih, Human Ranger

Swinging his crossbow back on his pack, Hajih draws his rapier and hammer and proceeds to take the lead "Bridge or no bridge, I'll take my chances with the unknown!"