PDA

View Full Version : [Nexus] [Minor Plot] The Trains Run on Time

Pages : [1] 2

Recaiden
2010-09-08, 11:07 PM
On the far side of a portal can be seen a single lonely star, so far from its fellows that they can barely be seen.
As one looks up from the portal they will see glimpses of some of the twelve moons spinning overhead. There are other continents to the east and south, but there is little talk between them.
The portal is in the center of a clearing of a great forest, though a new-built road stretches up to it, and a train line runs alongside it, off into the distance. Humans, mantisfolk and changelings rush about the area, busy with any number of things, and airships frequently come to rest at the massive port drifting over the woods.
Far to the north a faint beam of light can be seen shining, directly from the capital city of Brightold into the portal.

The Bushranger
2010-09-08, 11:20 PM
[In an aircar, dashing through the forest?]

"And how long was this impostor about? Though I suppose you haven't had the advantage I would have. And I'm sending all my original bodies to help. This could be really bad. Tom escaped and screwed up their plans last time by dying early. But this time... Be prepared for the worst, okay, buddy?"

The car comes to the (now larger and busier and surrounded with more buildings and in a large clearing) portal, and is let right through with no stop.

"Three weeks," Brendan admits. "And yeah. And thanks. Yeah. I hope it's not bad. But if it is..."
Brendan trails off, leaving unsaid that it will be Very Bad, Indeed for whoever made it really bad in the first place.

"I'll be looking for you," he adds, after a rendevous point is arranged. Then looking around in surprise at how much the once-tiny portal has been built into a portal for commerce.

He's mentally already referring to it as 'the Chunnel'. Comparing it to a major transportation artery in his world.

Recaiden
2010-09-08, 11:31 PM
[Driving high speed through a whole series of portals]

The scenery changes quite rapidly as the car passes through waystations on the way to Tower City, breaking a number of speed and traffic regulations.

They slow down as the car comes to a final portal. It's edges are not a uniform orange like those of the others. They are distorted, looking almost diseased, but the car passes through anyway.

"That long? Poor thing, you. See you at the University garden to plan."

The scenery doesn't look much different. But something seems off. And it may dawn on Brendan and Jem that only the smaller, Air-elemental aeroships are visible around the towers. Scarcely a single Fire-element Aeroship can be seen. In fact, only two, familiar to Brendan and currently docked at their home tower.

The Bushranger
2010-09-08, 11:36 PM
[Thinking with Portals, no doubt]

Brendan chuckles sheepishly and gives his farewells, before hanging up, and noting the charge on his phone before putting it into a pocket. Frowning as he notes the final portal's odd appearance...and then the airship scarcity.

"This is...odd," he mutters, pointing to the tower. "Those two, but no others..." He trails off, frowning. "Not good, I think. Oh, and we're to meet at the University Gardens." He looks over to Jem now, concerned for the poor girl despite her duping of him.

(Don't forget Anchor, if you have time. :smallsmile:)

Recaiden
2010-09-08, 11:47 PM
[Aperture Science]

"Luna and Tom's personal ships. They must still be here because they have no resident spirit. Perhaps Ashna accidentally destroyed the city's airship fleet. Again." A sarcastic sigh is here given.
Jem steers the aircar to the University Tower, and will bring the car to s atop at the assigned place. There will have to be some waiting for Atorre to arrive. Perhaps quite a while.
"Is something wrong? More than the obvious?"

The Bushranger
2010-09-08, 11:51 PM
[There will be cake]

Brendan takes a breath, as a few connections are made in his brain at Jem's statement.
"Perhaps...or perhaps she was made to do so," he mutters. Sighing as he settles in to wait, checking his watch, and, one presumes, re-setting it to the local time.

He chuckles softly, has to really, at Jem's question. "Well, there's the obvious, and there's that there are in fact no fire-airships at all, which may also be obvious. I believe the term for how I feel is 'nervous as a long-tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs'," he admits. "Although mostly, well, I was wondering how you are holding up. Considering the situation and the series of shocks today, and all that."

Recaiden
2010-09-09, 12:01 AM
[And grief counseling?]

"Actually, I kind of expected the world to be ending. You know, for the third time this decade? And I've got not too much to lose here."
Her voice is a bit shaky and not at all convincing.
The local 26 hour time?

The Bushranger
2010-09-09, 12:05 AM
[Indeed. However, the cake is a lie.]

Brendan nearly says 'don't get too dissapointed' about the world not ending. But decides Jem probably has enough on her plate as it is. "Ah. Apocalypse Next," he says instead, nodding. "Don't worry. I'll do everything I can to save your folks - and keep you from getting hurt too." He puts his hand on her shoulder, reassuringly, for a moment, then removes it. "...and I'll keep Ash from doing anything to you, too. If I can," he adds light-heartedly. "But do try not to worry too much. Always in motion the future is, one much wiser than I once said."

He sighs softly, not being too good with the pep-talk, he figures, and looks around for the approach of Atorre.

...and yes, that'd be the 26-hour clock. One presumes he's modified his watch to accomodate a +2 time differiential when necessary. *nods*

((And I need to sleep soon, alas. Good night.))

Recaiden
2010-09-09, 11:08 AM
[No. You just never got to see it]

"Thank you." Jem still looks down, literally and figuratively, but no time to worry about that, as most of Atorre is coming out a nearby door and walking up to the two.
"Here we are. What should we be doing do you plan Brendan?"

The Bushranger
2010-09-09, 03:51 PM
[As opposed to the big pizza pie?]

Brendan nods, then finds his attention taken by Six. Or the Four of Six, as it may be.
"Well. My plan is to find whoever's responsible, beat them into submission, rescue Ashna and Jem - this is Jem, by the way, Jem, meet my friend-friends here -" and he rattles off the names which is player doesn't want to misremember right now :smalltongue: - ""- or Atorre. Well, anyway. Rescue Azna, rescue Jem's folks, reduce those responsible and their base of operations to a pile of rubble, and be home in time for dinner.

...I never said it was a particulary good plan, of course..."

Recaiden
2010-09-09, 04:02 PM
[As opposed to the described cake, I'm sure]

No, there are only two of the eight of them. :smalltongue:
"You know you can use a 'sh' sound, here, right? It's just our custom not to. But this is another nation."
"And I would think you would have the courtesy to introduce even your enemies by their real names, Brendan. Jamtpshi. Pleased to meet you."

"Right. We've sent four people to help Tom and Luna try to locate this place."
"But for us to still be alive, they must consider us such a minor threat we're not even worth looking into, which is unlikely seeing what we did to their team last-time, or they have a trap set for us. Or a triple agent in this Jamtpshi. Or perhaps you two are with the Talon both of you, and planning this entire setup as an ambush."

The Bushranger
2010-09-09, 05:16 PM
[Perhaps there shall also be pie.]

However many there are. :smalltongue:

"Ah. Then. Yes." Brendan nods, a bit abashed by the corrections. "My apologies, you're right. I suppose I'm not thinking straight, perhaps...

And I assure you, I have no ambush planned. Of course, I cannot speak for her." He nots to Jamtpshi. "But I would have to say, there's another option there, that whatever they've done, they've already done. Considering that I was to be killed this day.

...of course, they could always be comic-book-style villians, and they want us to be there so that they can gloat."

Recaiden
2010-09-09, 11:21 PM
[Just curiosity]

"But, no. His heart, at least, remains true to our cause."

"Hah. Yes. That would seem to fit well with this place, a comicbook villain."

The Bushranger
2010-09-09, 11:26 PM
[Curiosity? Hopefully there will be no cats, then.]

"You should meet Lord Magtok sometime," Brendan says in answer to Jem, almost as an aside. "Although I believe he lacks the monocle and white Persian cat to complete the full effect."

He sighs, checks his watch, looking a bit nervous. Or perhaps impatient. "When we do find these fellows - well, aside from a plan, what are the rules of engagement? Are we going with the 'rescue the good guys, otherwise, scorched earth' policy? Or will we be taking prisoners to turn them over to the authorities?"

Since this is, after all, not his home turf. Well, it sort-of is now, yes. But not totally. At least, he doesn't know the lay of the political land as well as he probably should.

Recaiden
2010-09-09, 11:36 PM
[Oh, very few. Just enough to ruin things]

"Don't hurt bystanders, really. Although if they really did blow up all the airships, we might have a lot of leeway."

The Bushranger
2010-09-09, 11:46 PM
["Meow."]

"Oh, of course. Hopefully there won't be too many bystanders, though. I grabbed a bag of toys on my way out of the shop."
Cleary these are meant to be toys that go boom.
As opposed to cheese that goes crunch.

"And yeah, I did notice the lack of airships. I really hope it isn't too late. Although if it is..."

He trails off, not wanting to think about that too much.

Recaiden
2010-09-09, 11:51 PM
[Meeeooow]

"Probably not. They found something. Let's go."

((Another time though. Good night.))

The Bushranger
2010-09-09, 11:59 PM
[Meow Mix]

And hearing that, Brendan's head snaps around from his mopey musing.
"Already? Alright. Let's roll."

((G'nite!))

Recaiden
2010-09-10, 07:54 AM
[Tuna!]

A couple people get into the car and when Brendan joins them fly it over to a ...part of the city where the towers are few, smaller and further between. One building looks to be held up only with duct tape.

They should come to rest in a field. There are no skeletons, or other ships chasing them, or anything.

The Bushranger
2010-09-10, 01:05 PM
[Tuna in macaroni and cheese!]

Brendan, as they fly through the air with the greatest of ease, makes note of the city giving way to the slums.

...and frowns a bit, although, he says nothing.

As they land, he looks about the field, notes no pursuit, skeletons, hungry ghosts, Abyssal Exalted, or other threats, and looks to Plum.
"So. Underground secret base, I presume? Hopefully not the kind where the people who work there pretend to be simple Amish-esque farmers to fool any visitors."

Recaiden
2010-09-10, 03:49 PM
[No, skeletons don't eat.]

What's wrong with him? The slums are nice here. Well, compared to the radioactive wastelands to the east and the hole in reality up north. :smalltongue:

"Exactly." Seren goes over to the single feature of the place, what looks like a rusted bomb shelter door, and slowly opens it. It swings easily open.
Plum waves to it, and Jamtpshi will start down inside, down a concrete tunnel lit by flickering electric lights.
"We'll stay here and guard the exit for you." So helpful, right?

The Bushranger
2010-09-10, 06:34 PM
[Aha. The chefs might have a bone to pick with that]

Everything's relative. :smalltongue:

"...of course. Of course." Brendan sighs, and chuckles softly. "I suppose it couldn't have been any other way, now could it?

...and, guys? If I don't come out of here in a reasonable amount of time - and y'all can get in touch with me psyhically - don't risk yourselves getting me out." He looks at Plum, then the others, with a 'I mean it' kind of look, then starts down the rabbit hole after Jem.

Recaiden
2010-09-10, 09:00 PM
[Well, there aren't any chefs here]

Plum nods slowly. They won't listen, of course, but no need to tell him that.
"We'll try to help from out here if we need to"

Jem is paused in the hallway. "Brendan, dear? This isn't good. This isn't where-" This is where the door slams shut behind him.
Jem jumps a bit. "-they had me before. And there's some of Morianin's lights. Electricity."

The Bushranger
2010-09-10, 09:08 PM
[Not even Swedish Chefs?]

Well, he sort of knows they won't listen. :smalltongue:

And the door slams shut! "Nowhere to go but forwards," he mutters softly, before turning to do that - and having Jem's words sink into his brain. "Soooo...what you're saying is pretty much we're going in blind, and have no idea who or what's down here? Lovely. But playing it safe is so boring, anyway."

He checks that his guns have a round in the chamber, are cocked, and are safed, then steps up to join her. "I should have brought some NVGs. Ah well. Onwards?"

Since if he had, he could shoot out the lights, of course.

Recaiden
2010-09-10, 09:13 PM
[Not even]

"Pretty much." Jamtpshi takes a step back. Brendan can go first.

Way at the t-shaped far end of the hallway, there's a blue blur rushing by, followed shortly by the sound of a short burst of gunfire, and the lights going out for a good ten seconds.

The Bushranger
2010-09-10, 09:23 PM
[Aheh]

And Brendan does indeed take point.
...he is, it might be noted, devoting a small bit of attention to the possibily of being (literally?) stabbed in the back.

The blue blur gets his attention.
...the gunfire, even more so.

As he freezes when the lights go out!

"Yeah. Really should have brought NVGs," he whispers - then when the lights come back on, moving at an increased rate of speed torwards (but not, yet, to!) said intersection.

While drawing a pair of semi-automatics from his belt, ready for anything.
At least, he hopes he is.

Recaiden
2010-09-10, 09:26 PM
[Hehehehe]

Jem hurries along after him.
About 15 feet from the intersection, a mechanical voice rings around from the left, where the shooting came from. "Halt, newcomers, and state your allegiance and business."

The Bushranger
2010-09-10, 09:41 PM
[^_^]

"Well," Brendan mutters as he comes to a halt, "...showtime."

He turns to lean against the wall, ready...

"Our alleigance is to each other, and to another, not with us. As for our business...

...take us to your leader."

Recaiden
2010-09-10, 09:47 PM
[^.^]

"You are yet among the living. Yes. Master Morianin will see you. Come."

"It is as he speaks. But Brendan, these aren't the people we're looking for. They can't be."

The Bushranger
2010-09-10, 09:58 PM
[^^]

"Maybe, maybe not - but maybe they know who the people we're looking for are?" Brendan points out, reasonably enough. "And besides, I don't think 'run away' would be a wise option here."

...and so, he proceeds, cautiously, in the direction of his voice. Guns re-holstered, but his hand on one. Just in case.

Recaiden
2010-09-10, 10:04 PM
There a few bullet holes in the wall, though no blood, body, or anything, and then comes a staircase down.
At the bottom, there's a long hallway, well-lit, friendly-seeming, with a speaker and several gun turrets lurking in corners as the hall snakes and twists around. Finally they will come to a section with lots of doors, many closed, one open with light streaming out and light classical music playing within. Jamtpshi follows Brendan the whole while.
Unless he'd like to try to climb over one of the barricades blocking off forks in the hallway.

"Do come in."

The Bushranger
2010-09-10, 10:15 PM
Nah. He'll follow along the main way, for now at least, until they reach the door that's open, and he'll turn to enter, tensing slightly, barely noticable but there if Jem knows what to look for (and she probably does, by now). As he enters the room with light and music, wondering just who is inside...

Recaiden
2010-09-10, 10:24 PM
It's Magtok! Wait, that's not possible, because I'm Recaiden.

But he certainly looks uncannily similar, and even has a cyborg eye. He also has six mechanical arms and a abstract tattoo on his forehead, but still. Someone was listening to that "A car in every garage, a Magtok in every world." speech.
Or,
He chose to look like this to unnerve Brendan.

Brendan will probably guess that this man sitting in an armchair with a robot on his lap is the aforementioned Morianin, the infamous exiled Machai president, inventor of electricity, and supervillain extraordinaire.

"Hello. A pleasure to meet you in person, Mr. Nerei. And you, Jamtpshi." The accent to his voice should sound strange to Brendan, and the changeling name pronounced perfectly. "Now, why did you want to see me?"

The Bushranger
2010-09-10, 10:29 PM
[IT'S A MAG][/Ackbar]

Possibly it was both?

As it is, though, Brendan narrows his eyes, the ruse, if it was one, having worked. But determined not to show it.
And he's willing to take that guess, yes.
...also, it's a robot cat in his lap, isn't it?

"I would say it's a pleasure as well, but I'm afraid I wouldn't be entirely truthful. Perhaps not un-truthful as well, but that's neither here nor there. And your mentioning of my name would, in fact, be a clue as to why we're here."

He pauses. "Somebody kidnapped my wife. I'm going to get her back. Perhaps you might know something of this affair, Professor Moriarty."

...and he's calling him that just because he can. :smalltongue:

Recaiden
2010-09-10, 10:36 PM
Of course it is. It's watching Brendan right now.

"Please, I am no [I]Professor of anything. I am an engineer. Yes, Ashna. She's somewhere in the lower levels; I'm not sure which side she's with, or held by. You need some explaining of the situation, yes? Hehehe."

The Bushranger
2010-09-10, 10:43 PM
[Awww]

"Ahhh. I see."
And Brendan's opinion of Not-Mag improves a bit at this.
Engineers, after all, actually work for a living. :smalltongue:

"Yes. I do need an explanation. If it can be done on the way to these lower levels, even better," he says, his voice tightly controlled of emotion.

Recaiden
2010-09-10, 10:50 PM
A ceiling panel drops to the floor and folds itself into an angular humanoid shape.
It nods and speaks in a tinny approximation of his voice. "That can be done. Follow, please." The servitor machine starts out the door, pausing for Brendan to follow.

"The Jade Talon is the group that took your wife. Their leader here is from an older time even than I am, a ...'lich' is the word, yes? A deathless zombi magician? They seek to invert all life, and fill the world with the undead. They needed Ashna to for a 'test-run' of the process they will use to do this. She has most likely died."

The machine will by now have led them past a barricade and down a dizzying maze of hallways.

The Bushranger
2010-09-10, 10:57 PM
Brendan follows, looking back to be sure Jem is following him.

"...

if she has, that lich is dead.

Dead-er, at least."

His tone has changed. Now icy cold, determined, and furious.

"We have resurrection magic where I come from, but some processes...they...can disrupt the ability for that to work."

Recaiden
2010-09-10, 11:02 PM
Jem is following closely.

"You are aware of how strongly your own religion frowns on resurrection, are you not? It disrupts the, not precisely the 'natural', cycle, but the approved cycle of reincarnation and enlightenment. Death is painful, but it must be accepted. For you and yours, anyway. Although for great needs or great heroes, they will look away. You may have a chance."

"Now, to the next point. Maela, who I should not need to remind you was the first vampire of this world, took offense to the planned extinction of all life and the actions of certain Talon affiliated vampires. She and her retinue inhabit the eastern ends of the lower levels."

The Bushranger
2010-09-10, 11:05 PM
"...I suppose you have a point. Both points. I'll prefer not to think about it until the time comes if it does, though, thank you.

And...I see."

Liches and vampires and werewolves, oh my!

"I assume that the two sides aren't inviting each other over for tea. Would one of them perhaps have been the blue blur I notice?"

Recaiden
2010-09-10, 11:15 PM
"That was a vampire, trying to steal the exit keys from me. You see, no one can leave this place without my allowing it. Or without them stealing my keys. I do want them to have a sporting chance, after all."

The machine pauses at a stairwell.

"They are down here. Through this door. The vampires have stolen a box of incantations that the Talon need for their ritual. If I had it, it would just maybe be worth a safe exit from this place. There is also a boy among those kept prisoner by the Talon who is...relevant to my interests. And the vampires want him for some reason I can't be bothered with. Any final questions?"

It's funny how Brendan is just believing him.

The Bushranger
2010-09-10, 11:23 PM
Maybe that's just what Brendan wants him to think? :smallwink:

"Ahh. I see. Yes, I do have one final question."

And with that, in one quick move, Brendan's gun arm is out, gun in hand, and pointed at the Not-Professor's face.

"Why shouldn't I just shoot you now, take your keys, rescue Ash and this boy, and then blow the entire place straight to whichever underworld has jurisdiction here?"

...then again, he'd have to be pretty dumb to be thinking it now.

Recaiden
2010-09-10, 11:28 PM
"Go right ahead. I give keys to these remote bodies just so people can think of that. But you were here as a guest, and now you are a respected prisoner. Can you get out of this place as my enemy?"

Brendan will probably get a sense that the machine is smirking.

"Yeah. We can."

The Bushranger
2010-09-10, 11:30 PM
"What she said. And I'd prefer to stay a guest, thank you. Mark my words though, if you have lied, we'll be 'getting out as an enemy' won't be just an academic exercise anymore."

He pauses, then spins the gun in his hand and returns it to his holster.

Recaiden
2010-09-10, 11:33 PM
"Why would I lie?" he asks rhetorically, opening the door.

Inside are more familiar crystal lamps, most prevalent on the right-hand western side of the visible rooms and halls.

The Bushranger
2010-09-10, 11:38 PM
"Everybody lies," Brendan quotes.
(Except himself, of course. :smalltongue:)

And he goes to step through the door. Cautiously. "So, this would be your Palace of Electricity, then, I take it." To keep him talking.

Recaiden
2010-09-10, 11:44 PM
"Oh no. The Palace of Electricity is much nicer. I simply refitted the upper two floors. And with that, I leave you."

The machine steps back and begins going back up the stairs.

They're in one large room, with a staircase at the far end, and barricaded exits to what seem to be other large rooms on each side.
This level appears pretty shot, scorched, and smashed up in varying degree.

The Bushranger
2010-09-10, 11:48 PM
"So." Brendan watches the machine depart, then looks at Jem. "Odds of our walking into a trap, do you think? Pretty good odds?"

Recaiden
2010-09-10, 11:54 PM
"3 to 1, maybe?" Jem nods, and with a grim smile steps towards the dark side of the room.

The Bushranger
2010-09-10, 11:57 PM
"That bad?" Brendan chuckles grimly, and heads for the Dark Side as well.
"In that case, we spring the trap..."
He slips one of the guns out again, ready for...trap-springiness.

"I also think we should probably talk to these Talon people if we get the chance."
And without losing too much blood in the process, too.

Recaiden
2010-09-11, 12:01 AM
"You go talk to them then. I'll speak with the vampyres. You know, enemy of your enemy. The side who wouldn't be out to get me."

The Bushranger
2010-09-11, 12:04 AM
"You sure about that?" Brendan looks at Jem with concern. "Splitting up might not be such a good idea. Strength in numbers, don't split the party, et-cetera."

Recaiden
2010-09-11, 12:05 AM
"I think it best I not yet meet the group I betrayed, whatever the circumstances. Say you escaped from me, in fact."

The Bushranger
2010-09-11, 12:07 AM
"Hmm. I suppose you have a point there."
Brendan nods, thinking, and agreeing. And trying to give Jem's shoulder a quick squeeze.
"Just don't get, ah, turned."
Of course, changelings might be immune to such?
"And, oh yes, where and when do we meet back up?"

Recaiden
2010-09-11, 12:12 AM
"Here. When you know something. Or call." He succeeds, and there will be an attempt to hug Brendan.
They might be. Or more susceptible.
"Good luck."

The Bushranger
2010-09-11, 12:14 AM
The attempt, succeeds!

"That works. And good luck to you as well."

And once the hug ends, Brendan turns to head onwards...to his doom. Or not.

Recaiden
2010-09-11, 12:22 AM
((Deadtime. See you later.))

The Bushranger
2010-09-11, 12:25 AM
(('Night!))

Recaiden
2010-09-11, 12:07 PM
So Brendan's heading towards his doom. It's brightly lit, and as he gets closer he'll probably notice the skeleton of a rat skittering back behind the barricade, and an opening appearing it it for him.

The Bushranger
2010-09-11, 06:31 PM
Oh, hey, it's the Grim Squeaker, Brendan thinks in a sense of dark humour, as he pauses outside the barricade. Open or not, he isn't going to rush in until he knows who and what exactly he's dealing with.

...and also, hiding his holsters. A discreet tap to each of them (at a distance from the barricade) rendering them invisible...

...and after a moment's study, he probaby walks through, head high, senses alert.

Recaiden
2010-09-11, 06:45 PM
"What is your business here, living one?"
The voice comes from somewhere undiscernable ahead.
On the other side is a hallway. There are other skeletal animals, small ones mostly, nothing bigger than a medium-sized dog. A few humanoid skeletons, and insects.
None of the undead seem to pay Brendan any attention.
There's another set of stairs at the far end of the room, a hundred or so feet on.

((Say, can you see my avatar?))

The Bushranger
2010-09-12, 12:34 AM
Brendan pauses, as the voice speaks to him.
Debating what to say.
...then, well, saying it.
"I was brought here by another, but managed to escape. I believe, based on what I was told, that...I also know somebody here, perhaps a prisoner? I wish to talk."
Simple and to the point, as he steps forwards to continue to the stairs.

((Yeah. It pulling a vanishing act for some people?))

Recaiden
2010-09-12, 01:23 PM
"Proceed then. We will judge your reasons in more detail below. But you will not be allowed to interfere in our plans in any case."

((For me. I also can't use the buttons in the reply box. :smallconfused:

The Bushranger
2010-09-12, 06:01 PM
"Ah. Now, see, I can't promise I won't try. But I can promise I won't randomly try, and that I'm not necessarily here to try. Much depends on how things are, especially with regard to the potential prisoner I spoke of. But for now, at least, I am merely here to talk, and to attempt to ascertain Truth."

...and as he speaks, Brendan proceeds.

((...OK, now that's just totally weird.))

Recaiden
2010-09-12, 06:54 PM
"Which of the prisoners do you wish to speak of?"

The floor below has larger creatures, and less skeletal ones. Zombified guards, ghosts lurking in corners, living shades skittering under tables. It seems cleaner and better maintained, but the layout is the same, and there is another staircase down at the far end. (Back underneath the center.)

((It's fine on this computer though. :smallconfused:))

The Bushranger
2010-09-12, 11:35 PM
"It would be Ashna Nerei," Brendan says, his voice firm, even as his worry level increases. "I understand she was...kidnapped, and replaced with a changeling. At least according to the report of the changeling who impersonated her, and brought me here. I was fortunate to deceive her and escape."

The undead all around both worry (for Ash) and disturb (for him) him, but he does his best not to show it, as he continues his progress. Torwards the staircase, presumably.

((:smallconfused: *plays Twilight Zone music*))

Recaiden
2010-09-12, 11:48 PM
"And it was supposed to be so qualified. But luckily this has little impact on the plan.
Yes, I took Ashna here, to ensure that our theories were correct. After our experiments, Maela took her away from me, and I have no idea where she is now. Certainly not in my half of the compound."
If Brendan continues downstairs, he'll see what appears to be a library, with desks and shelves and several improvised, and empty, jail cells. At the tables liches and revenants and mummified figures and well-defined specters pore over old tomes and scrolls, chanting and laying out arcane diagrams. The voice would seem to come from the far end of the room.

The Bushranger
2010-09-12, 11:51 PM
Well, upon hearing that his princess is in another castle, Brendan will probably stop. Although by then he's at the entrance to the library, looking in, and nodding in a respectful fashion in the direction of the voice.

"I would like to ask...what sort of experiments were inflicted upon her."
He manages to keep his voice level.
"And where I can find this Maela. The other half of the compound, I presume?"

Recaiden
2010-09-12, 11:57 PM
"Simply an inversion of her life-force. Well, a rather complicated inversion, you wouldn't understand most of the technical details, and various observations of the process. Yes. Maela and her children reside in the dark half of this place."

The Bushranger
2010-09-13, 12:03 AM
"I see."

Brendan falls quiet for a minute.

"I assume that inverting one's life-force makes one into an undead, then."

Still with his voice being perfectly calm and controlled, and level.

Although watching him closely, one would note a twitch to his eye.

Recaiden
2010-09-13, 12:05 AM
"That is the idea, yes."

The Bushranger
2010-09-13, 12:09 AM
"I assume," Brendan begins slowly, "that since you say that 'is' the idea, not 'was', it was successful then. And also that, considering your goals and reasons for this...experiment...you would not be particulary keen on the idea of undoing the process, even if only for the goal of seeing if it were possible and refining the process to make it impossible in the future?"

His composure is finally starting to crack, his voice wavering.

"Why? Why her? Why?!"

Recaiden
2010-09-13, 12:15 AM
"We would not be particularly 'keen' on her reversion, no. As a matter of principle, my work should not be undone."
Many of the undead are now watching him carefully.
"As for 'why', that is my purpose in existence. It is the natural final state of living energies. She was needed because of her unique connection to the elements of fire. One that mirrors mine own lost connection to the powers of undeath."

The Bushranger
2010-09-13, 12:19 AM
Brendan stands there for a long moment, his fists clenching and unclenching, his eyes closed, breath shaky.

Finally, he speaks, his voice low.

"Thank you for your time. I will now be leaving, before I do something all of us would regret. I will find Ashna, and I will fix her, and may whatever dieties of unlife you may or may not worship have mercy upon you shall our paths ever cross again, for I shall not."

...and then, he turns to go, retracing his steps.

Recaiden
2010-09-13, 12:22 AM
"You are welcome, and the spirit you demonstrate is admirable, though futile. Even if you succeed, it will give you only a brief respite."

No one stops him, as they believe he has no chance.

The Bushranger
2010-09-13, 12:27 AM
"Better than none," Brendan mutters, mostly to himself, as he heads, if not stopped, all the way out back past the original barricade.

...Where he stops, and, while managing to avoid shouting in anguish, does start pounding the wall of the tunnel until his knuckles are bleeding. :smallfrown:

Recaiden
2010-09-13, 12:32 AM
:smallfrown: Is he maybe overreacting a bit?

There's a rush of blue, and a thin pale figure with red eyes is leaning against the wall next to where Brendan's hitting it.

"Isn't it a bit foolish to spill your own blood by a den of vampires, mortal? Come, what anguishes you so? Let us help you."

The Bushranger
2010-09-13, 12:40 AM
Perhaps a little, yes.

~Atorre? I...may have bad news. But am OK. Stay tuned,~ he tries to send mentally...then realises he's being spoken to!

And jumps a bit.

Rubbing his knuckles self-consiously.

"Ahh...perhaps. Then again, with what I just learned...well, was told. Perhaps it is or is not true. Everybody lies. But I...was coming to seek you."

He composes himself (although light would reveal, his eyes are quite moist...), and manages a bit of a formal bow.
"I am Brendan...Nerei. I came here seeking my wife, who I am informed is now in your care...after having had her 'life force reversed' by the manipulations of the Talon...this is what anguishes me."

Recaiden
2010-09-13, 12:48 AM
"I understand. Come with me, and I will petition Maela to see what can be done about this."
The vampire holds out his hand to Brendan, and will lead him down into the dark if it is taken.
And then he will explain.
"We have care over her because she is as we are. By our laws, she should not have been transformed, and we have already dealt harshly with the traitor who did so for the Talon."

The Bushranger
2010-09-13, 12:52 AM
Brendan hesitates for only a moment, before accepting the hand, and being led into the dark.
"I...thank you. You were likely better able to deal with him than I. I should have been more attentive, had I been so perhaps I would have been able to reach her sooner..."
He whispers, sounding quietly anguished, and almost talking more to himself than anything else.

Recaiden
2010-09-13, 12:59 AM
"You are welcome. Now do not concern yourself with regrets; it is ever the place of thinking beings to make errors."
They descend two flights of stairs and cross several rooms in pitch darkness; this side seems more complicated and expansive than the other.

The Bushranger
2010-09-13, 01:00 AM
"'To err is human, to forgive, divine," Brendan quites, sighing, but nodding in the dark, and allowing himself to be led along, trying to keep track of the twists and turns as they go.

Just in case.

Recaiden
2010-09-13, 01:12 AM
"And we do forgive you, Brendan." There's a light ahead that looks to be coming under the crack between a door and the ground, flickering, as from a fireplace, or an elemental.
((Deadtime. Good...morning.))

The Bushranger
2010-09-13, 01:14 AM
"...
...thank you," Brendan says, as the flickering of light under a door comes into view. And he takes a deep breath. Taking a guess, as to what lies inside.

((Heh, yes...Good morning.))

Recaiden
2010-09-13, 07:34 AM
"You're welcome. I will leave you two in peace here." The vampire says, stepping back.

The Bushranger
2010-09-13, 05:24 PM
"...and, again, thank you."

Brendan bows, part of his mind finding the 'polite vampire' thing slightly disconcerting (yet also relieving).

Then takes a deep breath.

Turns to the door.

And knocks.

(Just twice.)

Recaiden
2010-09-13, 06:16 PM
An impolite vampire? Perish the thought; why would there be such a thing here?

The door swings open at the knocking. "Yes? Wha--"
Brendan's guess was almost certainly correct. The fire is more red than it has ever been, as are her eyes. Her skin has gone paper-white, with a black sign marked on her forehead, and body unhealthily thin. But Ash is still recognizable.
"Brendan? You're still okay?"

The Bushranger
2010-09-13, 09:57 PM
Brendan takes in the sight of his wife, his eyes widening slightly, even as his heart falls, the last bit of hope* extinguishing...

"Yeah. I'm OK..."
And he hurries forwards to - carefully - try and hug Ash. Tightly.

* That things didn't actually happen. Not that they can be fixed, of course.

Recaiden
2010-09-13, 10:15 PM
He's hugged back, very tightly. Might be a bit painful.
"We were so worried something had happened to you!"

The Bushranger
2010-09-13, 10:22 PM
Brendan oofs as he tries not to have his ribs crushed!
But he certainly isn't going to complain.

"No, I've been fine...I just..."
He stops himself; details can be given later.
"...I...gods, Ash. I'm so sorry I didn't get here sooner..."

Still hugging, just as tight.

Recaiden
2010-09-13, 10:28 PM
"Don't say that! 'Ancestors', or 'Timira', not 'gods'. Sorry, and don't say that at all. I'm sue you came as quick as you could."

The Bushranger
2010-09-13, 10:35 PM
"Oh." Brendan nods, and manages to avoid saying 'sorry' yet again. :smalltongue:
"...yeah, I did. It's a bit more complicated than that, but let's worry about that later. Are...well, aside from the obvious, of course, are you OK, love?"

Recaiden
2010-09-13, 10:43 PM
"No. There's nothing immediately wrong but the obvious is quite a bit. And I'm so cold, always, and you saw the moons out, I'm sure. It's just rocks to me now. And the powers I had left don't work and I'm starving and I'm trapped down here in this building away from the light. They say I'll get used to it. Used to it! Hah."
Ash is shivering, and would be on the verge of tears, if she could cry.

The Bushranger
2010-09-13, 10:50 PM
"I hope you won't have to get used to it," Brendan says emphatically. "The Talon people didn't sound too...enthused about the idea of undoing it, but I'm sure we can persuade them to see it our way. Until then though, I'm here, and I'm not leaving..."

...he is starting to wonder, though, where Jem might be. Since she isn't here, clearly.

Regardless though he hugs Ash a little tighter, instinctively trying to warm and comfort her.

Recaiden
2010-09-13, 10:56 PM
"Persuade? No, they all die. For good. Once we can figure out how to kill them.
My-that is, Maela's people, vampires, are special among the undead. One can't just be changed back by any amount of normal magic. But you're here. I'll be okay. I'm so sorry." She says, marginally more calm.

He succeeds on all counts, and is hugged more tightly for a moment.

The Bushranger
2010-09-13, 11:00 PM
"Persuade them, then kill them..." Brendan starts, then falls quiet as Ash explains.
"I see. Abnormal magic then? But regardless of what can or cannot be done, I'll be here. With you. Forever."

''Till undeath do us part' does flit through his mind, however, he decides against saying it. Instead saying, "You don't need to be sorry, love. Not your fault." He shakes his head, also curious, though, exactly how they managed to kidnap her.

Recaiden
2010-09-13, 11:06 PM
"Something about love, actually. It sounds rather silly, but apparently if you read our histories it makes sense. I wouldn't know."
Plum could explain it!
"Thank you."

And that's obvious. They used nets.

The Bushranger
2010-09-13, 11:12 PM
And hauled up the catch of the day, obviously.

"Ahh. I see. Well, I'll have to read up on those histories."
Since love is one thing he has no shortage of, at least, he hopes so anyway.
"You're welcome."
He looks around for a chair, the better to sit in and keep hugging her.

"They sent a changeling to take your place..." he says quietly.

Recaiden
2010-09-13, 11:18 PM
There's totally a chair now, as well as a table and a coffin.

"Yeah. They...what? And you just didn't notice it wasn't me?"
Angry Ashna lets go of Brendan and steps away.

The Bushranger
2010-09-13, 11:23 PM
Brendan tries not to look at the coffin too much.

He also looks down, takes a deep breath, and decides to be completely honest.
It's the best policy, and all, yes?

"They bound a fire elemental to her. And obviously they'd studied you for awhile, since she knew just how to act. The times she didn't act exactly right, I...assumed that being around me was, well, you changing, people aren't static..."

He almost says 'rubbing off the rough edges', but realises that would be totally the wrong thing to say. :smalltongue:

...he does look up, his eyes filled with tears.
"I have no excuse, though."

Recaiden
2010-09-13, 11:31 PM
Ashna is looking away from him, and breathing deliberately, eyes closed, making to him no answer yet.

The Bushranger
2010-09-13, 11:33 PM
Brendan falls quiet, looking down, wanting to ask for forgiveness, but knowing he doesn't deserve it. So simply standing there in silence.

((Just one more post tonight, alas))

Recaiden
2010-09-13, 11:35 PM
"Okay. I know there was nothing you could have done. Better a perfect impostor than that terrible real Ash, ah?"

She climbs into the coffin and pulls the lid shut, laughing softly. Or sobbing. Or both.

((Ah. Good night.))

The Bushranger
2010-09-13, 11:41 PM
"No, wait-!" Brendan calls his head snapping around in shock. "NO! Not at all! I-"

But the coffin is pulled shut.

And Brendan stands there for a moment, before slowly (almost as if in slow-motion) dropping to his knees with a thud, burying his face in his hands.

"No, Ashna. It's not like that, at all, he pleads, hoping she can hear him. [color=brown]"I...I love you. I always have. And I have no excuse, and don't deserve your forgiveness for what happened. But you're not terrible. You're...you're..."

...and his voice trails off to nothing, as he starts to sob.

:smallfrown:

((*hug* G'nite.))

Recaiden
2010-09-14, 10:47 AM
The coffin opens a crack, and a pair of teary blue eyes look out.
"Don't cry, Brendan. I believe you."

The Bushranger
2010-09-14, 10:50 AM
Brendan looks up, his expression relieved.
"Thank you..." he whispers.

Before, after a moment more, standing, and pulling a chair over to take a seat next to the coffin in question.
"Do you need to...rest for awhile?"

Recaiden
2010-09-14, 10:58 AM
"No." In fact, she's climbing back out of the coffin.
"Sorry to have to act like that. You have to have upset with me, to start bringing me back. It feels like it's working, though."
Ashna says, looking down at the floor.

The Bushranger
2010-09-14, 11:01 AM
"...oh."
Brendan looks like he isn't quite sure what to make of that, but merely stands. And reaches for her shoulder, to squeeze it.
"This is going to be hard, for both of us. But it'll work. I promise."

Recaiden
2010-09-14, 11:08 AM
She goes to take his hand as it's reached out. "Yes. I'll come back."
Then Ashna looks away again. "And I need some of your blood. As a reverse of transforming one. And then there's more, but it's not something vampires can know. Like the Road to Peace. We know there are ways and disciplines that we just can't perceive, but we'll know if we need them."

The Bushranger
2010-09-14, 11:23 AM
He squeezes her hand, and nods. "I see. One of those 'you'll know it when you know it, but not before' things? I suppose if it was easy, it wouldn't be as meaningful, eh?.

Brendan pauses, before speaking again. "The blood. Do you need it now? Or later?"

Recaiden
2010-09-14, 11:26 AM
His hand is squeezed back. "Right. It's a rare thing. And, actually, both. And a third time."

((Deadtime for lunch and maths.))

The Bushranger
2010-09-14, 11:33 AM
"Alright. Well, then. No time like the present, yes?" Brendan smiles, only a little nervously, and lets go after the squeeze to unbutton his sleeve and roll up his arm a bit. "From the wrist, I presume?"

((No worries, deadtime here too.))

Recaiden
2010-09-14, 12:17 PM
"That doesn't matter. So yes." Unless he ddoes something, Ashna will take his wrist then and bite into it. Must really hurt.

The Bushranger
2010-09-14, 03:39 PM
He was intending to make a small cut, but Ashna beats him to the implementation of that plan.

And it hurts.
Oh, how it hurts.
...both physically, and psychically...

But Brendan grits his teeth, closes his eyes, and determinedly does his best not to show any signs of his pain otherwise.

Recaiden
2010-09-14, 03:53 PM
It's only a few seconds before Ash draws away her fangs, a look of such guilt over her face. Oddly, the punctures should not bleed long.

The Bushranger
2010-09-14, 10:12 PM
Brendan, grimacing a bit, manages what he hopes is a reassuring smile.
He doesn't do too well, but...

"Well, there you go...feeling better, I hope?"

Recaiden
2010-09-14, 10:14 PM
"You think I like this?"

The Bushranger
2010-09-14, 10:33 PM
"No."
Brendan answers, and shakes his head, quickly.
"I know you don't love. But since things are how they are, right now, the important thing is how you feel."

Recaiden
2010-09-15, 07:34 AM
Ashna frowns. "Well, better, certainly. Calmer. But how are you?"

The Bushranger
2010-09-15, 03:02 PM
"...well, honestly, I've been better." Brendan shrugs. "Considering everything... But, I'll be alright. Don't worry about me.

...unless worry is one of those emotion things you need, in that case, worry away." He chuckles. "Well, then. When do we take out these Talon people? Or do we have to wait, in case they could...ah, control you somehow?"

Recaiden
2010-09-15, 04:03 PM
"Soon. No, they can't control me. Not more than they could control anyone, that is." Laughter ensues.
"That is Maela. But they are on our side, if any. We should go fight them soon. Just a little preparation." Singing ensues, as what else would preface monster-hunting? The same type of hymns as they'd had for breaking curses.

The Bushranger
2010-09-15, 10:05 PM
"Ahh, I see. Well, that's good. I've got to say, my blood is itching for a fight."
He smiles, and joins in the singing! Well, mostly humming. But singing where he knows the words.

After awhile, he pauses.
"...oh, by the way? All the fire-elemental airships seem to be out of commission," Brendan says, slightly sheepishly.

Recaiden
2010-09-15, 11:11 PM
"Not my fault. Honest." Ashna says, totally unconvincingly.
"Okay. Let's get going then."

The Bushranger
2010-09-16, 12:51 PM
"Of course not," Brendan answers, in the kind of tone one uses when you know better, they know you know better, you know they know you know better, etc., but are simply agreeing because agreeing is what is done.

...then nods, and reaches to take Ash's arm in his. "Onwards, to victory, revenge, and restoration," he agrees, heading for the door of the room.

Recaiden
2010-09-16, 02:11 PM
"Come now, Brendan. Revenge is bad." And of course, she's never done anything for revenge. Nope.
Ash's arm is taken away, and they'll leave the room I suppose.

The Bushranger
2010-09-16, 09:06 PM
Of course not! After all, she does as she says, right?
"Perhaps. But..."
Brendan trails off, shrugs, and out they go. Back into the hallway. Where perhaps the vampire who brought him here is waiting? Or Jem? Or nobody?

Recaiden
2010-09-16, 11:35 PM
Everybody. The hall is filled with vampires, dimly seen by the light of a fire, and also Jamtpshi is there at the end of the line.
Ashna looks at them warily. "But what?"

The Bushranger
2010-09-17, 01:20 AM
"...but they hurt you," Brendan finishes the thought, almost reluctantly - although firmly, as well. "I can't just let that slide."

He also looks on, feeling a bit uncomfortable (like an impala finding itself in the middle of a herd of lions, perhaps), at the 'convention', but straightens up to his full height, and tries putting an arm around Ashna's waist.
"Looks like the gang's all here."

Recaiden
2010-09-17, 07:41 AM
"Okay. Just this once."
Ashna puts an arm around Brendan as well and ignores them, looking just at him.
The assembled predators watch the tasty impala Brendan.
"Just going to walk up and destroy them?" Replies polite vampire A whom Brendan never asked the name of.

The Bushranger
2010-09-17, 10:59 AM
Brendan smiles at Ashna happily, giving her a squeeze, happy to just look at her for as long as his gaze attack takes to de-vampire-ify herhe can.

But Polite Vampire 'A' interrupts!
...in Brendan's defense, he had more on his mind at the time than asking the names of random undead.

"Well..." he says, reluctantly no-longer-looking at his wife, "Not really. I was hoping to ask what you, being those with the local knowledge and abilities, would suggest, Mr..?"

Oh, and he does give Jem a nod, too.

Recaiden
2010-09-17, 02:37 PM
"Call me Hazel." Hazel says, expecting them to recognize the name, and then looknig rather disappointed.
"Now, there's really not much we can do to get past a magic barrier against our kind. So you, Ash, will have to stay here with all of us to begin with. One of the higher undead down there is maintaining it, and we can't move directly against them until that one is stopped somehow. We have similar defenses on our own rooms."
"Now, the best place to attack would probably be one floor up, in the center. We can send some small creatures of the night to aid you." adds a kindly, grandmother-looking undead.
Keep your hand on that feather, and go straight for the wizards. Don't stop to bother with every Talon member. Comes a voice directly towards his mind.

The Bushranger
2010-09-17, 07:04 PM
Witch Hazel?

"...I'm Brendan, in case I forgot to introduce myself. Well, then. I suppose I'll have to clear the way," Brendan observes, calculating a battle plan in his mind. "And, thank you, ma'am. That's much appreciated." Said plan consisting of (as reccomended) going to the wizards, directly for the wizards, not passing Go -

- then he looks at Ashna in a bit of surprise. ~...that you, Ash?~ he 'sends'.

Recaiden
2010-09-17, 10:22 PM
No no. Hazel this world's second vampire. Renowned across the continent in ancient times for his great beauty.

This is your Lady and Mistress Maela. Go. Ashna has no idea what that look is supposed to mean, and shrugs.

Jamptshi steps up next to Brendan and grins. "Ready?"

The Bushranger
2010-09-17, 10:25 PM
Ahh.

~Ahh. Thank you, milady,~ Brendan mentally answers formally, before smiling at Ash, and leaning over to give her forehead a kiss. "Be safe, love."

He then chuckles a bit at Jem's enthuiastic expression. "Lock and load. We're off to kill the wizard."

Recaiden
2010-09-17, 10:35 PM
Ash tries to give Brendan a hug before he leaves.

Jamtpshi nods and starts walking, gun somehow in her hands now.

The Bushranger
2010-09-17, 10:45 PM
Ashna succeeds!
And Brendan hugs her back. Possibibly kissing her cheek, as well.

Then, it's time to follow Jem, intending to shoot a few wizards chock full of holes. Reaching up to pluck the feather from his fedora, and into his hand.

Recaiden
2010-09-17, 10:48 PM
Well, they do have at least one post of walking to get through first. Through the once again pitch-black corridors, and up into the dim light of the central room.

The Bushranger
2010-09-17, 10:54 PM
Of course. And Brendan stays quiet during the walking.
Unless, of course, Jem speaks to him.
Otherwise, though, it's just silent walking, pondering, and wishing he'd brought night-vison goggles again.

Recaiden
2010-09-17, 11:26 PM
The lights of the other side start to be visible, and Recaiden has run out of ideas here for the night.
((deadtime this thread.))

The Bushranger
2010-09-17, 11:30 PM
((Is OK. *hugs* G'nite))

Recaiden
2010-09-21, 07:51 PM
Of course, they don't have any reason to suspect that Brendan, and the nondescript human figure behind him are there enemies any more than before. So no one is trying to kill them or anything.
"What do you return here for?"

The Bushranger
2010-09-21, 08:21 PM
"I have come to speak to you once more, as I have seen how things are different than I believed. I wish to ask a question of your leader, one simple question, and nothing more."

He holds the feather discreetly (and tightly) in one hand, and looks to see if any of the wizards are visible just yet...

Recaiden
2010-09-21, 08:31 PM
"Come below, then, and ask."

One is, at the back right of the room, but he would remember that more were on the third level.

((Recaiden is developing a migraine and deadtiming.))

The Bushranger
2010-09-21, 08:41 PM
Brendan does indeed remember, and so he passes up the one for the many, glancing back at Jem to be sure she's following, before pressing on.

Into the lion's den.

((Awwww. *hugs* Feel better soon. :smallfrown:))

Recaiden
2010-09-22, 01:22 PM
Jem follows down the stairs, trying to remain very quiet.

The scene won't have changed much. Presumably, one of these is the leader whose voice Brendan has been hearing, and is now waiting for his question.

There are down here five wizardly types.
One is a woman, now just dead skin and bones, with batlike wings, several holes in them, a dark red glow from her eye sockets.
A tall figure, wrapped like a mummified corpse, stands near a shelf of books, half-hidden.
There are two who look more recently dead, dressed in long robes.
And a ghost, looking almost solid, the wound of the laser bolt that had killed him still visible on his forehead.
There are several standard humanoid zombies and tiny animate clusters of rocks, which are busy moving items around, guarding a cell which is perhaps less empty than it was, and drawing magical symbols on the floor to enable the casting of stronger spells.

The Bushranger
2010-09-22, 10:04 PM
Brendan pauses at the base of the stairs, taking in the scene before him, one hand resting on his waist.

Well, just off of his waist. It's actually on his holster, still invisible...

He tries to assess where the largest concentration of wizards is. And clears his throat.

"As I said to the minions upstairs, I have just one question...

...what happens to an undead when they get 'killed'?"

And in a flash, he draws his .45, and opens fire.

Aiming for the undead succubus first.

An explosive bullet aimed for one eye, and a silver one for the second, as he charges said group of wizards, feather held tightly.

Recaiden
2010-09-23, 12:58 AM
The bullets go Bounce! Bounce! off the anti-metal field that flares into visibility a few inches away from the not-a-succubus. It's draconic, thank you very much, Brendan.
"I suppose you'll never find out." she says, grabbing a staff that rises up out of the floor.
The largest concentration would be the pair in robes, near the ghost, all at the same long table. They seem unresponsive for the moment, paralyzed with fear.
The mummy, though, has grabbed a revolver and fired a pair of life-seeking bullets.

The Bushranger
2010-09-23, 10:19 PM
They all look alike to him? :smalltongue:

He doesn't answer, instead firing again at the pair in robes. Double-tapping each.
The first gets a cold-iron bullet, followed by a Expanding Mahogany Tip.
...he has the 'All Purpose Magazine' loaded.
The second finds a gold bullet headed his way, followed by an Inciendary.

The life-seeking bullets, well, that depends on if any start seeking Jem. Of course, if they're truly seeking, there's not much he can do to avoid being hit, aside from try to dive behind that long table!

Recaiden
2010-09-23, 10:48 PM
Jamtpshi. Right. I totally didn't forget about her.
But one of the bullets is chasing after her.
And now she's in a fistfight with the mummy.
It's not like the bullets stay in the air a very long time. So it smashes against the table, as the other one does against the wall.

The incendiary seems to have done a lot of damage, seeing how that one has fallen to the ground, not getting up.
The other, despite being hit twice, doesn't seem too hurt.

Now the bulletproof one, it's making odd hand motions, which are being chased by glowing red lines. It's safe to assume it's some sort of Brendan-unfriendly magic.
And there's something trying to force it's way into Brendan's mind.

((This is probably my only post of the night. Not up to RPing.))

The Bushranger
2010-09-25, 12:05 AM
The thing trying to force itself into Brendan's mind might find itself having a rather harder time than expected. Given enough time, it might succeed, but...

He shifts his aim, firing again at the 'bulletproof' wizard.
...well, not exactly.
He's actually aiming at her feet.
Between them.
Attempting, perhaps, to blow a hole in the floor. Or at least make her trip.

He then shifts his aim, and a silver bullet is flying torards Mummy Wizard.
Not the best choice, but one fights with the weapons one has...

And, oh, hey, he's reached the huddling wizards now.
Going to bull-rush right into Mr. I Just Took Two Bullets.

He's still holding the feather tightly.

((Aw. Is OK. Having trouble finding motivation sometimes myself. *hugs*))

Recaiden
2010-09-25, 07:01 PM
That must be a really powerful bullet to blow a hole in the floor here. But okay. He succeeds, and she beats her wings slowly to hover over the space.
"What were you trying to accomplish there?" She asks mockingly. Though the red lines did stutter and start fading away when she dropped for a moment.

The silver bullet is not especially more effective than the other two were. But what it does do is distract the mummy for a moment, in which Jem hits it with a torch grabbed off the wall. It looks to be burning fairly well now.

And the one Brendan is rushing is caught completely by surprise and knocked back. Like he wasn't paying any attention at all.

The Bushranger
2010-09-25, 07:07 PM
Brendan's explosive bullets contain a tiny trace of naquadah.
When in doubt, his dad always said, apply more BLAM. :smalltongue:

"This," he says in answer to Dragon-Magess' question, going to grab the mage he's in the process of bowling over with one hand, and trying to spin around and hurl him at said other mage.

He's betting her 'shield' has the weakness that things moving below a certain speed get through. After all, otherwise she might have trouble breathing after awhile. :smallamused:

Recaiden
2010-09-25, 07:12 PM
That makes sense. ... Wait, what? :smallconfused: Why would they need to breath at all? They don't have lungs! :smalleek: * flails *

But, hey. That works. The thrown lich knocks her down into the pit, and the barrier, although it visibly slows him, evaporates in a purple flash. An almost imperceptible humming stops.

Around now, the last force redoubles its attempt to take control of Brendan's mind.

The Bushranger
2010-09-25, 11:51 PM
...oops. :smallredface: Well, his logic was sound, even if the reasons for it weren't? :smalltongue:

Whammo! Brendan might be about to make a quip, but at the moment, he's busy grabbing his head and staggering, mentally fighting back. Or at least trying not to be taken over, with it taking all of his concentration.
Although now his hand with the feather in it is right against his head.

Recaiden
2010-09-25, 11:59 PM
His logic was fine. His premises, rather terrible. :smalltongue:

That's good for him. The mental pressure eases as he brings up the feather, and vanishes completely.
The ghost has decided instead to try to telekinetically wrest the gun away from Brendan.
The skeletal one is climbing up out of the pit, the red glow of its eye sockets brightening. Brendan might feel compelled to just look at the magical glow and stop fighting.

But the odds seem pretty good. The mummy and both bodied undead seem, if not destroyed, at least incapacitated. And Jem is there trying to knock a shelf down on the climbing one.

Then a multitude of sounds start coming down the stairs. Explosions, screams, gunfire, wolves howling, books fluttering their pages, magic rays firing, bones clattering about, ominous pseudo-latin chanting, etc.

The Bushranger
2010-09-26, 12:09 AM
Well, if it's telekinetically pulling the gun away, it'll be taking his fingers with it - oh wait, one finger's in the trigger guard.

BLAM!

That's one cold iron bullet, that's heading for the ceiling. Who knows what it might hit up there? A chandelier chain?

There happen to be two bullets left in the magazine, as he struggles ow with not looking at Skeletor climbing out of the pit.
The ommmmmminous chanting, though, gets his attention a bit, and he manages to pull away and look in that direction even as he grabs for the telekinetically propelled gun.

Recaiden
2010-09-26, 12:14 AM
Chain? The chandeliers levitate, thank you very much. Of course, Brendan's seen what iron does to levitation crystals... It swiftly crashes onto Jem's slightly leaning shelf, knocking the witch back into the pit and covering it in a avalanche of books and shelving pieces.

The gun, though, will dart up, out of his grasp, and spin to shoot once at Jem, and then level itself at Brendan. Wonder what the two bullets are.
Surrender now, human.

The Bushranger
2010-09-26, 12:27 AM
Crash! Bang! Boom! Biff! Pow!

The next two bullets were Mahogany-Tip (now fired at Jem) and Incindary.

"Surrender? I think not. I have not yet begun to fight!"

And Brendan pulls a dagger from his belt and hurls it at Ghosty even as he's diving to the side.

Why yes, it is a ghost-touch dagger.

Recaiden
2010-09-26, 12:32 AM
Fired at, hitting, causing to collapse bleeding, etc.

The ghost (who does have a name, you know) is hit squarely in the side by the dagger, and the gun clatters to the ground as he loses focus.
He's rather tough, and draws the knife back out and rushes towards Brendan swinging it.

The Bushranger
2010-09-26, 12:36 AM
:smalleek:

Well, of course he does. Brendan prefers not to think of his enemies as having names, though.
Brendan doesn't have time to grab his gun, and so brings up one arm to block the knife blow (getting a nasty cut in the process), while trying to punch his assailant squarely in the nose.

Recaiden
2010-09-26, 12:37 AM
He punches his assailant directly through the nose, meeting no resistance as the ghost is, well, not physically there. He's probably a bit off balance, at least, but the ghost is twisting away from the cut arm that held the feather.

The Bushranger
2010-09-26, 12:41 AM
Brendan decides a better tactic would be to try to grab the knife with his free hand and wrench it away. And so, that is what he does!

((and I need to be off to sleep. Good night.))

Recaiden
2010-09-26, 12:45 AM
You know what might be an even better tactic? Listening to advice. :smalltongue:
Since the ghost was already moving away, Brendan will probably open up his defenses to another stabbing attempt by that.
((Good night, BR. Be well.))

The Bushranger
2010-09-26, 11:14 PM
True. :smalltongue:

And Brendan gets stabbed in the arm, even as he spins away, and scoops up his gun. Popping the magazine free and sliding in another one before raising it and one-handed, trying to shoot the knife out of the ghost's 'hand'!

That fires the incindary bullet that was in the chamber.

Recaiden
2010-09-27, 12:01 AM
The knife is melted right through by that, and clatters out of his hand.

Recaiden
2010-09-27, 10:40 PM
And, for several OOC reasons, so is the ghost, which starts to dissolve, and crack into pieces, before fading away.

The Bushranger
2010-09-27, 10:44 PM
((Eeep. :smallfrown: I thought I'd replied to this. Sowwy. :smallfrown:))

Brendan looks on in surprise, rolling to his feet and looking for the next wizard to target!

Even as he moves torwards Jem, to check on her.

Recaiden
2010-09-27, 10:52 PM
((It's fine.))

That would be...none of them.

Jem is sort of lying there, not moving, due to being dead.

How sad.

Wait, did I say dead? I clearly meant unconscious and dying and not any better off for having been shot in the head.

The Bushranger
2010-09-27, 10:56 PM
Brendan, then, will look for secondary targets, even as he drops next to Jem and tears a strip off his shirt to try and bandage her head and stop the bleeding at least.

Recaiden
2010-09-27, 11:00 PM
There...really aren't any. Although the sounds of various undeads fighting upstairs continues, though it seems to be winding down.

Also, as Brendan finishes the bandaging, something causes the bookshelf to explode outward, showering the room with bits of wood, and allowing one last skeletal witch to climb all the way out of the pit.
The something likely being magic. Since, you know, wizards.

The Bushranger
2010-09-27, 11:05 PM
Brendan, rather surprised, takes a nasty cut to the face as a splinter of bookshelf embeds itself rather deep in his cheek!

However, he manages to recover enough to take up a position like this (http://cdn-www.expertvillage.com/showImage.aspx?site=21&fn=guns-stance-kneeling.jpg), snatching up his .45.

And then squeezing off six rounds rapid at the skeleton's spine!

Explosive, Silver, Cold Iron, Gold, Mahogany-Tip, and Incindary, in that order.

Recaiden
2010-09-27, 11:08 PM
Shouldn't he have, say, reloaded after we just made a big deal out of using the ammo? :smalltongue:

The bullets, assuming they are there, go *ping*, *ping*, *ping*, *ping*,
*stab with a small wooden tip*, and *ping* off the clearly renewed anti-metal shield. Looks like it made some preparations before bursting free.

Now, there are still three upright bookshelves off to his left, one more chandelier behind him, and 1 and 2/3 of a table still standing. And a blast of acid shooting from the figure's hand towards Brendan.

The Bushranger
2010-09-27, 11:11 PM
I thought he did. :smalltongue:
If he doesn't, he does indeed slam in a new magazine with surprising speed!

...then curses roundly as the bullets, they do nothing.
And dives beneath the acid, although he does lose some of his hair.

And dives for the table, grabbing a leg and swinging it aroudn like a club!

Recaiden
2010-09-27, 11:21 PM
That's good. His arm might feel a bit numb as it passes through the barrier, but the club solidly connects and knocks one of the skeleton's arms flying across the room. It starts crawling back towards Brendan, ever so slowly.

With a yell of rage, the mage fires another bolt of acid, wildly, killing a bat that had fluttered down the stairs.

The Bushranger
2010-09-27, 11:26 PM
Brendan doesn't even seem to notice the numbness, as he starts flailing at the skeletal mage with his ersatz club.

"You!"

THWACK!

"Do!"

THWACK!

"Not!"

THWACK!

"Hurt!"

THWACK!

"My!"

THWACK!

"FRIENDS!"

THWACK!

"AND YOU ESPECIALLY DON'T KIDNAP MY WIFE AND TURN HER INTO AN UNDEAD!!"

...and with his final roar, assuming he's still in range to do so, he'll try and use the club as a baseball bat.

With the mage's skull as the ball.

:smalleek:

Recaiden
2010-09-27, 11:32 PM
That's an especially long thing to dramatically yell. He needs more practice.

But she is, at this point, reduced to a few tiny fragments and a skull sailing across the room, and the detached arm has collapsed, it's animating spirit exhausted.

The skull happens to be caught by Polite Vampire with a Name, who chooses this moment to fight through the remaining lesser undead and come to Brendan's rescue, with Ash and Maela shortly behind.

The Bushranger
2010-09-27, 11:39 PM
Yes, yes it is. And yes, yes he does. :smalltongue:

They arrive just in time to see Brendan, a jagged hunk of wood poking from his cheek, drop the club he was wielding, and staggering backwards, his fury spent.

He manages to point to Jem, though.
"Help her," he whispers.

Before collapsing to his knees from exhaustion.

Recaiden
2010-09-27, 11:55 PM
They do. Or at least, they seem to, and try to carry Brendan away from the battle scene. How much he'll notice will depend on just how exhausted he is.

The Bushranger
2010-09-27, 11:57 PM
Well, he's not unconsious. But he's simply physically - and, perhaps more importantly - mentally exhausted, from the fight.

Perhaps the reality of the entire thing finally sunk in, as well.

...and so he'll notice just about everything, but really won't be paying much attention to it. :smalltongue:

Recaiden
2010-09-28, 07:06 PM
There'll be discussion in, unfortunately for him, the ancient language of vampires, spoken by few others, and none present. But they sound worried and/or unhappy.

Brendan is taken to one room and water and food brought from somewhere. The cells behind the secret wall are opened up, a shiny diamond is broken in a magicky flash, Jem is taken off somewhere by Hazel and another vampire.

"Are you alright, Brendan?"

The Bushranger
2010-09-28, 10:04 PM
Brendan sighs, and tries to sit up, having not understood a thing - and probably getting pushed back down by Ashna.
"...you should have seen the other guy," he quips in response to her question.
:smalltongue:
"I'll be fine. I think. Oh, my gun - did they pick up my gun? How are you, love?"

Recaiden
2010-09-28, 10:21 PM
Yes, he's pushed back down. "You'll hurt yourself, love." Ashna nods and holds the gun out to him.
"Here you are. I'm doing better."

The Bushranger
2010-09-28, 10:26 PM
Brendan accepts the gun, and tucks it into its holster relivedly, before reaching for Ashna, to try and pull her down and into a hug.
"That's wonderful, Ash. And I guess I probably should stay down for a little while. But how can I do more to help if I'm laid up in bed?"

Recaiden
2010-09-28, 10:28 PM
Ashna hugs him tightly, and sits on the edge of the bed. "You don't need to do more to help. You did it. We'll be going tomorrow night."

The Bushranger
2010-09-28, 10:44 PM
Brendan hugs back just as tight - although wincing a little - and smiles, brodly. "I...that..."

And words fail him, so Ashna might find herself being kissed instead. Aww...

Recaiden
2010-09-28, 10:47 PM
Well, as she does, she won't answer that half of a sentence, but just smile at Brendan once the kiss ends.

The Bushranger
2010-09-28, 10:57 PM
And he smiles back, happily, and looks her over to look sure she's totally back to normal. :smalltongue:
"So...they won't have a problem with, ah, letting you go?" he asks, quietly.

Recaiden
2010-09-28, 11:14 PM
She...certainly isn't. Though she looks slightly more normal.
"No. They don't want me here, or to be one of them." Ashna smiles, showing that her canine teeth are still rather exaggerated. "Among other things, no lycanthrope or firefighter is supposed to be fed on or...turned. And Maela regards Maria with much distaste. That extends to her followers, us.

The Bushranger
2010-09-28, 11:23 PM
Well, it's progress at least, right?
Brendan nods in understanding. "Well, then." He smiles back. "I suppose we wouldn't want to wear out our welcome, would we?"

Recaiden
2010-09-28, 11:25 PM
"Right. So at the next Sundown, we leave." By some trick, it's rather the middle of the night right now.

The Bushranger
2010-09-28, 11:32 PM
"Sounds good to me." Brendan nods, wanting to ask about Jem but not wanting to bring up...awkwardness. So, instead, he changes the subject. Or not. "So...you don't need to sleep in the coffin, then?"

Recaiden
2010-09-28, 11:33 PM
"No. Just to take the stone at the bottom with me." Ash smiles again and goes to take Brendan's hand in hers.

The Bushranger
2010-09-28, 11:40 PM
Brendan smiles back, lacing his fingers in Ashna's, and squeezes gently.
"Good. Stay with me tonight then love?" he asks softly.

((about two more posts, or five minutes, left tonight.))

Recaiden
2010-09-28, 11:47 PM
"Where else would I go?" she asks softly.

((Okay. Good night.))

The Bushranger
2010-09-28, 11:49 PM
Brendan answers with a smile, pulling Ashna close and snuggling with her.
"I don't know, but I do know I'll go anywhere, as long as you're there."

And he'll snuggle her for the night, not doing anything more. Unless she wants it. But he'll be happy just to hold her close as they sleep. :smallsmile:

((Good night!))

Recaiden
2010-09-29, 07:47 AM
"You should know there isn't anywhere but with you." Ash will just cuddle next to Brendan and sing softly the song of Saint Tayel until he goes to sleep.

The Bushranger
2010-09-29, 11:00 PM
Brendan nods, and smiles as he drifts off to sleep, listening to her voice and gently brushing her hair...

...by the next morning, if there is a morning underground, he's still sound asleep. :smalltongue:

Recaiden
2010-09-30, 11:29 AM
And Ash is just now falling asleep with the sun's rising.

The Bushranger
2010-10-01, 02:52 PM
Good thing Brendan isn't an early riser then. At least for today, anyway, he doesn't do mornings.

Perhaps after awhile somebody will think to check on the two of them? :smalltongue:
Or Six will try to check in?
If not, it'll be awhile before he wakes up. Like, well past local noon the next day.
Not like there's a reference point for 'noon' where they are, of course.

Recaiden
2010-10-01, 04:49 PM
They have invented clocks in this universe...:smalltongue:
Shortly after noon comes a * knockknockknock on the door * Softly, so as not to wake anyone who might be sleeping.

The Bushranger
2010-10-01, 11:54 PM
But Brendan also has a watch!
Therefore, there being two clocks present, he has no idea what time it is. :smalltongue:

Brendan, being half-awake, yawns, and stretches a bit, but only subconsiously noticed the knock.

Recaiden
2010-10-02, 12:22 AM
:smalltongue: A man with two clocks can never be sure, after all.

The knock does not come again. Clearly, Brendan is busy.

The Bushranger
2010-10-02, 08:13 PM
And heaven help you if you're a clockmaker. :smalltongue:

Brendan looks torwards the door, wondering if he heard something or only dreamed it, then shrugs, and carefully tries to slip out of bed without waking Ash.

Recaiden
2010-10-03, 03:40 PM
Why would a clockmaker need to know the time. That's their customer's problem.

That should be easy enough. Death makes one a heavy sleeper. Brendan do as he wishes during the day. He'll find few vampires, and no machines left. The way to the surface is clear.
Unfortunately, Atorre's representatives were rather severely injured, and are too weak recovering to do much.
And Jamtpshi, well...

The Bushranger
2010-10-04, 07:46 PM

Brendan, for his part, will attempt to contact Atorre, even as he tries to find somebody to find out where the infirmary (or equivilant thereof) is to check on Jem.

After getting and preparing a breakfast, that is.

Surface? Nope, not going there. He's not leaving until Ash is.

Recaiden
2010-10-04, 07:56 PM
They're mildly asleep. So sorry.

But a makeshift infirmary can be found, with several odd bits of medical/torture machinery, and a few vampires around a table with about half of the machines.

The Bushranger
2010-10-04, 08:09 PM
Ahh. Well, presumably he'll presume they're asleep, and just worry...

...and, spotting the vampires, approaches cautiously, and will clear his throat politely.
"Ah...good morning."

Recaiden
2010-10-04, 08:15 PM
"Good day, Brendan." Says Hazel, not looking away, but adjusting a machine, which he can probably now see is connected to an IV line connected to the person, being Jem, on the table.
"Have you a way to help? I suppose if we could have some of your life..."

The Bushranger
2010-10-04, 08:30 PM
Brendan's eyes widen a bit as he recognises Jem. And hesitates. But after a moment, he nods.
"Is it something like, x number of years off the end of it? Or just generic life-energy draining that will come back with time?"

Nevertheless, he's approaching.

Recaiden
2010-10-04, 08:35 PM
"Since you folks smashed the wheel of fate up, we'll have to do with generic comes-back with time energy." Hazel grabs at one of Brendan's arms.

The Bushranger
2010-10-04, 08:43 PM
"Well, then, that works, take all you need as long as I stay alive," Brendan says, knowing he'll have a lot of 'splanin' to do when Ash wakes up, but...

He closes his eyes, and waits for the big needles to come into play.
Because there's always Big Needles involved in this kind of thing.

Recaiden
2010-10-04, 08:49 PM
Oh no. Just a knife drawn across his hand, and feeling all his strength drain away.

The Bushranger
2010-10-04, 08:50 PM
How disrespectful of tradition! :smalltongue:

...and Brendan quite likely slumps unconsious. :smalleek:

Recaiden
2010-10-04, 08:56 PM
Yeah, that's normal. They toss him to another gurney and and get back to the important work of saving Jamtpshi.

The Bushranger
2010-10-04, 09:02 PM
And so Brendan dreams, dreams of Ashna, and running through the woods, and of sitting, white-haired, in a rocker before a fireplace, Ash (still youthful) next to him, and a group of youngsters, his eyes, her hair, around unwrapping gifts from under a tree as they smile at them...

Recaiden
2010-10-04, 09:06 PM
But they just told him he's not going to be rapidly aged by this.
Still, d'aww. And they even have a Christmas-analogue holiday, too.

There'll be someone wiping the blood off his arm, and wheeling him away.

The Bushranger
2010-10-04, 09:10 PM
^_^

Brendan is only dimly aware if at all...but he does have a smile on his face.

((and, deadtime for a bit.))

Recaiden
2010-10-04, 09:18 PM
^.^

Brendan is set back on a bed and waited with until such time as he undeadtimes again.

The Bushranger
2010-10-04, 10:44 PM
And finally he both undeadtimes, and comes around from unconsiousness at the same time.
Convienent, that. :smallwink:

Recaiden
2010-10-04, 10:47 PM
Very much so. He'll find Ash holding him and smiling. "Are you okay there, love?"

The Bushranger
2010-10-04, 10:56 PM
Brendan coughs a little, then nods, his throat having been cleared. "If I wasn't before, I certainly am at waking up and seeing you," he says softly, smiling back up at Ashna.

Recaiden
2010-10-04, 10:59 PM
Ash laughs, a bit awkwardly. You never realize how hard breathing is until it stops happening on its own. "Glad to help."

The Bushranger
2010-10-04, 11:06 PM
Indeed.

"You certainly do."
Brendan, still a bit weak, reaches up to try and take her hand and squeeze it.
"How are you feeling, love? And how are the others?"

Recaiden
2010-10-04, 11:13 PM
"Thank you."
Ash's cold hand is taken, and squeezes his in return.
"I am doing, with you here, as well as I could."

The Bushranger
2010-10-04, 11:16 PM
"Then all's good, then."
Brendan smiles happily, as any nearby vampires possibly find themselves going in to sappy sugar comas. :smalltongue:
He wants to ask about Jem, but that's still a bit awkward to ask Ash about. :smalltongue:

Recaiden
2010-10-04, 11:33 PM
"We're together, how could it be otherwise?"
Actually, they're quite safe, as they have a hard time relating to humans on an emotional level. Most would recognize this as a display of affection, but feel nothing. A few, Maela and Maria foremost, through much effort, retain a humanoid outlook. And new ones like Ash.
"The changeling, they say, is going to survive." End of conversation. :smalltongue:

The Bushranger
2010-10-05, 09:36 AM
Brendan nods, glad to hear it, and lets the subject change. :smalltongue:
"Indeed." he says, in answer to Ash's first statement, smiling happily - and, now, going to sit up. Or trying to, anyway. "Right now, though I can think of one thing that would make it even better - a hearty breakfast." And he chuckles.

Recaiden
2010-10-05, 09:43 AM
"We don't have much food, but there should be some back in the lit half of the building..." Ash stands, anticipating having to get it.

The Bushranger
2010-10-05, 08:23 PM
"Well, I don't want to impinge on the supplies..." Brendan says a little sheepishly, as he swings his legs out of the bed and tries to stand. "Don't worry. I can get it. I think..."

But he sways a bit...

Recaiden
2010-10-05, 08:25 PM
"We don't need them." Ash says, stepping up to try and lift Brendan and carry him over to the other side, where they'll find some biscuits, pickled eel, and dried fruit slices.

The Bushranger
2010-10-05, 08:33 PM
Brendan blushes!
But doesn't protest. Since he proved he can't be the big strong manly-man at the moment. :smalltongue:
"Thanks, love." He decides to skip what he strongly suspects is a relative of lutefisk, settling for the dried peaches.

Recaiden
2010-10-05, 08:37 PM
Like he ever is? :smalltongue:

"You're very welcome." Ash tries to give him a kiss on the forehead.

A distant relative, perhaps. But tasty, should he try it.

The Bushranger
2010-10-05, 08:56 PM
Well, he tries!
Sometimes.
Sort-of.

Ash is successful, and Brendan tries to return with a kiss on the cheek!
And after he finishes the peaches, he does sample the eel.
Hey, MikeyBrendan likes it!

Recaiden
2010-10-05, 09:02 PM
I suppose he did build a basement. :smalltongue:

Brendan is successful as well. "Now just to wait until sunset."

The Bushranger
2010-10-05, 09:11 PM
True!
He didn't Tim Taylor it, though. :smalltongue:

Brendan nods. "Yeah. I...don't suppose that with enough time, that will get better, too?" he asks, taking a sip of water.

Recaiden
2010-10-05, 09:12 PM
"What will get better? I hope to be alive soon."

The Bushranger
2010-10-05, 09:22 PM
"That," Brendan says. "I hope it doesn't take very long, at all." And he reaches to try and give Ash's hand a squeeze as he smiles.

Recaiden
2010-10-05, 09:25 PM
"Maybe within a day or two." Ash does not squeeze his hand back, instead trying to hug him.

((And...time passes? Skip back to Nexus? The second half-of the plot is not to happen anytime soon, so I've nothing else.))

The Bushranger
2010-10-05, 09:30 PM
Hug successful!
And Brendan hugs back.

((We can have a timeskip, if that works for you, presumably their routine would be Things Done To Help Ash Be A Real Girl Again during the next few days. :smallsmile:))

Recaiden
2010-10-05, 09:35 PM
((Okay. Sounds alright to me.))
One more day will go by, with presumably everything being done. And then Ash will not get up in the evening. Or be able to be woken in any way.

The Bushranger
2010-10-05, 10:26 PM
Needless to say, when Brendan discovers this, he'll...well, not quite freak out.
But it'll be a close-run thing.
And he'll hurry, to look for Hazel.

Recaiden
2010-10-05, 10:35 PM
Hazel will be out hunting for blood. But Maela is there, sitting on a throne of human bones, with a ghoul servitor standing behind it, at her left. What is it, Brendan?

The Bushranger
2010-10-05, 10:47 PM
Brendan pauses, catches his breath for a moment, then nods respectfully.
"It's...it's Ashna. She won't wake up," he explains, worry plain in his voice.

Recaiden
2010-10-05, 10:54 PM
Perhaps she needs the rest. Or has passed on to true death.
Maela sounds very slightly apologetic.
There may be something to be done, though it would be difficult if there truly is something wrong. Why should I do anything?

The Bushranger
2010-10-05, 11:07 PM
Brendan pauses, thinking of how to say what he wants to say...then plunges ahead.
"I understand that your cares and needs are very different from those of us who live. However, still, I have found you to be noble, and...well, quite different from what I would have expected. And we have helped, I hope, by helping to vanquish your enemies. However, I woudl offer that...if there came a time where you were in need, I would be willing to consider myself beholden to assist you, if you would but help her."

Recaiden
2010-10-06, 07:30 AM
You helped us here. For that and your offer, I will do such a dangerous thing. She gives a slight nod, and Maela will be in the room with Ashna, and Brendan should be there as well, with no sense of movement besides a change of scenery. You will not ever tell anyone that I have helped you. You will provide for any vampire harmed because of this.
"4th, I form a method of redemption, and claim it for this child." Maela snaps, there's a faint white light, and she's gone again.
Ash stirs slightly, a slight movement of an arm, but something.

The Bushranger
2010-10-06, 03:56 PM
"I shall not, and I shall," Brendan promises solemmly, nodding - once he catches his bearings from the spatial dislocation. And watches silently, hands behind his back.

And as Maela vanishes, and Ashna stirs, he rushes to her side.

Recaiden
2010-10-06, 04:15 PM
Ash bolts upright, and leans over, holding herself up by a hand placed on the bed, breathing heavily, pain clear on her face.

The Bushranger
2010-10-06, 04:48 PM
Brendan tries to catch her shoulders gently in his hands, to help support her, and wishes his emphatic talent extended to accepting others' pain...but for the moment, he just allows himself to be there and to hold her until she feels she can speak.

Recaiden
2010-10-06, 04:59 PM
She's caught, and spends the next few moments looking wildly around the room, pupils widening from pinprick to wide-enough to see here.
When her breathing is not totally wild, Ash can be heard faintly sobbing. Or laughing. Both, maybe. Definitely laughing by now.
"I didn't know one could do that." she remarks, amazed. She raises up her hands to look at them. The nails of one lengthen and harden to claws before returning to normal. The other is surrounded with a little white light for a moment.
And the bed is on fire. Totally fine one moment, totally engulfed in flames the next.