PDA

View Full Version : Rules for playing a human little person?[3.5]

gomipile
2010-09-09, 12:11 AM
Are there any rules in 3.5 for playing a human who is in the small size category because of medical dwarfism, but is human in all other ways?

mobdrazhar
2010-09-09, 12:14 AM
use Strongheart Halfling?

Ravens_cry
2010-09-09, 12:14 AM
I have encountered such a character as an NPC, but I know of, though that says little, of any official rules.
Human stats, but small rather then medium sounds fair.

Iferus
2010-09-09, 03:47 AM
Reduce size by one category, reduce speed by 33% and take a -2 penalty to STR. That should work for any race.

Morph Bark
2010-09-09, 04:25 AM
Reduce size by one category, reduce speed by 33% and take a -2 penalty to STR. That should work for any race.

Sounds rather flawed to me! :smallwink:

hamishspence
2010-09-09, 04:56 AM
DMG2 had a big list of traits for PCs and NPCs (with level adjustments) but I'm not sure if Small was among them.

Maybe just apply the basic template from Pathfinder SRD that reduces a creature's size? (I think it was called Young, but it could be refluffed).

Psyx
2010-09-09, 05:29 AM
Sounds rather flawed to me! :smallwink:

You mean apart from the AC and Hide Bonus?

Ravens_cry
2010-09-09, 11:49 AM
DMG2 had a big list of traits for PCs and NPCs (with level adjustments) but I'm not sure if Small was among them.

Maybe just apply the basic template from Pathfinder SRD that reduces a creature's size? (I think it was called Young, but it could be refluffed).
I was thinking that too, but it increases dex. A lot of the conditions that that make little people result in all sorts of joint trouble. Not exactly the squirmy energy of youth. You COULD refluff it, just wouldn't feel right, IMO.

KillianHawkeye
2010-09-09, 12:13 PM
You could apply the reverse of the stat modifiers for increasing size from Small to Medium. Found here. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/improvingMonsters.htm#sizeIncreases)

The Rabbler
2010-09-09, 04:17 PM
You could apply the reverse of the stat modifiers for increasing size from Small to Medium. Found here. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/improvingMonsters.htm#sizeIncreases)

so -4 str, +2 dex, -2 con, and +1 AC/attack?

using monster advancement rules for player characters is usually a bad idea.

Fax Celestis
2010-09-09, 04:21 PM
use Strongheart Halfling?

This is probably the easiest solution, if not the most accurate.

Toliudar
2010-09-09, 05:34 PM
+1 to strongheart halfling. I suppose you could take out the minor skill bonuses and give the character the human bonus to skills instead.

Elfin
2010-09-09, 05:41 PM
I'll also go with the Strongheart Halfling. Seems quite a good solution.

kyoryu
2010-09-09, 10:20 PM
Do you even really need rules? Unless your abilities are waay outside the norm, it doesn't seem to really matter.

If you do need rules, call it +2 dex, -2 str, and give the rest of the normal human abilities (feats/etc.)

Jergmo
2010-09-09, 11:12 PM
Well, it's clear that someone with dwarfism wouldn't have a bonus to Dexterity. They'd have a penalty. But I'd go with the Size difference penalties as well. Perhaps

-4 Str, -2 Dex, -2 Con, along with a negative level adjustment?

-1 level adjustment and a bonus feat as a flaw?

Zaydos
2010-09-09, 11:20 PM
Negative level adjustment never balances.

Honestly -2 Str, -10-ft movement, and Small size might actually balance for a caster.

Serpentine
2010-09-10, 12:01 AM
Heh. I very nearly had to deal with this for my DMPC - an elf'd dwarf, asked as a boon from a god of Chaos to become a dwarf again, was instead turned into a human with dwarfism. Luckily for her, another character asked, as her boon, for mine to be actually a dwarf. So now as long as she holds this figurine of an angel, she'll be a proper, sideburned, sturdy dwarf.

For playability, strongheart halfling and/or just applying the changes from medium to small would work. For realism, I would probably say -2 Str, -2 Con*, and the usual changes for small size (speed, AC, especially carrying capacity, etc.). Equipment sizing might be an issue. I would probably also, as DM, allow this to count as a flaw to grant an extra feat.