PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) Good sources for character creation based on FF classes?

Ozreth
2010-09-09, 04:07 AM
Heya! Looking for some good information on character creation based on FF classes. Not home-brewed classes, but ways to multi class etc with the d&d classes to be similar to a final fantasy class.

I'm horrible at this sort of thing so any help would be appreciated. Especially looking to build a character similar to a red mage.

Did a google search but couldn't find much solid info.

Thanks!

Starsinger
2010-09-09, 06:45 AM
Red Mage is actually pretty simple... Wizard/Cleric/Mystic Theurge, BAM! Red Mage. Or if you prefer, Sorcerer/Favored Soul/Mystic Theurge to keep the spells known feel of FF1 Red Mages.

Zeta Kai
2010-09-09, 07:01 AM
Black Mage = Sorcerer (or Warlock)

White Mage = Healer (or Cloistered Cleric)

Red Mage = Bard (or Mystic Theurge)

Blue Mage = Uh, I dunno. Druid?

Lancer = Dungeon Crasher Fighter with high ranks in Jump

Monk/Ninja = Rogue (or Assassin)

Yorrin
2010-09-09, 02:02 PM
Which FF do you want? There are dozens of FF classes, each of which can be built in various ways...

(Also, I'd disagree with Zeta and say a Lancer is a Barbarian 1/Cleric 1/Feat Rogue 1/Psywar 1/Warblade 6/Blade Dancer 10, preferably as a Nezumi Dragonborn.)

Starsinger
2010-09-09, 02:18 PM
I disagree with Zeta on Monk too. Final Fantasy Monks are far more fantastic (in the non-mundane) sense. I mean, they can shoot energy from their hands, suplex trains, punch the earth so hard it rises up and hits their foes, and even the most mundane of them (Tifa) can summon Dolphins...

Yorrin
2010-09-09, 02:21 PM
I disagree with Zeta on Monk too. Final Fantasy Monks are far more fantastic (in the non-mundane) sense. I mean, they can shoot energy from their hands, suplex trains, punch the earth so hard it rises up and hits their foes, and even the most mundane of them (Tifa) can summon Dolphins...

Good call. Realistically a Monk is more like a Psywar or even a refluffed Crusader.

TimeWizard
2010-09-09, 03:38 PM
Summoners simply can't be done in the same way as FF. Your two rough choices are the Binder (Tome of Magic), is sorta like the Esper system from six: you male a contract with them and they give you bonuses and special moves. Alternatively you could use Gate to "summon" things, but it a) takes a long time to reach that level, and b) they don't just attack and disappear. You consider it something akin to Prestige Class in FF (like Tactics, where you had to unlock Summoner), and as long as you're cool with the FFX style of "Big monster's here to F their S up". You can't be Rydia from FF4 :(

Lancer's would benefit from a dip into Warblade (Tome of Battle) to get some Tiger Claw maneuvers, which are about jumping on things to kill them.

Samurai ARE Warblades or Swordsages. There is no Class called Samurai. Honestly. Diamond Mind and Stone Dragon are good starts.

Ninja: Same deal, a Swordsage/Rogue is a good place to start. There are a few Thrown Weapon PrC's out there if you want that kind of Ninja.

There is an Assassin and It's pretty good. It gets a lot better when you add the expanded spell lists they have. Check out the Complete Spell Book (or whatever its called). One of the best spells they have lets them use their instant assassination from a distance of 30'. Snipe time.

Some of the esoteric classes don't really pan out well in DnD: Mime, Blue Mage, Illusionist (FFT:A2), Calculator, Dancer, come to mind.

Geomancer is a druid who doesn't wild shape. Note that the DnD Geomancer is a fancy math/glyph wizard, which is kinda like the Calculator.

Sniper is an archer rogue. Hunter is a Ranger.

Parivirs: Ahh, now you've caught my attention! The FFT:A2 Parivir uses katana's to deal elemental damage, fast, deadly, fragile. Diamond Mind Swordsage with Tiger Claw, Desert Wind, and Shadowed Hand. So all the fun ones. This is my personal favorite to play.

AslanCross
2010-09-09, 04:28 PM
Iron Heart + Diamond Mind Warblade is best for Samurai (Iron Heart has the parrying maneuvers). Add in Kensai levels for the Samurai's "Iaijutsu" skill.

Geomancer is a druid who doesn't wild shape. Note that the DnD Geomancer is a fancy math/glyph wizard, which is kinda like the Calculator.

That's the Geometer. The Geomancer is something else, but I forget exactly what it does.

IdleMuse
2010-09-09, 05:02 PM
That's the Geometer. The Geomancer is something else, but I forget exactly what it does.

The geomancer is kinda like a weird theurge that only progresses one class, but eventually merges spell lists (or something). You also tun into a zebra (or something...)

Zore
2010-09-09, 07:28 PM
Blue Mage can be represented by Totemist to a degree.

Eldan
2010-09-09, 07:31 PM
Summoners simply can't be done in the same way as FF. Your two rough choices are the Binder (Tome of Magic), is sorta like the Esper system from six: you male a contract with them and they give you bonuses and special moves. Alternatively you could use Gate to "summon" things, but it a) takes a long time to reach that level, and b) they don't just attack and disappear. You consider it something akin to Prestige Class in FF (like Tactics, where you had to unlock Summoner), and as long as you're cool with the FFX style of "Big monster's here to F their S up". You can't be Rydia from FF4 :(

That, really, is just reflavoured evocation, or blasty conjuration. Summon a dragon? Fireball.

0Megabyte
2010-09-09, 07:34 PM
Actually, Pathfinder has an interesting looking summoner class. It's a bit different, but if you wanted to make a summoner like the sort from, say, Final Fantasy X, that's a good place to start...

gorfnab
2010-09-11, 01:40 AM
If you change your mind about homebrew, the Blue Mage, based on the FF Blue Mage, in my sig was considered among the best homebrewed classes on the wizards site before the site went all wonky. Thankfully I had the post copied to my pc so I have been able to repost it. I was actually in a campaign with the creator of this Blue Mage homebrew. He had it as an NPC. It is very fun to play and is about at a power level between sorcerer and wizard. I have allowed this class in all of the campaigns I have been a DM for.