PDA

View Full Version : Questions about bite of the wolf(solved) and hammer (pending)

Otodetu
2010-09-09, 04:29 AM
You gain one bite attack each round, instead of or in addition to any other attacks you have, that deals 1d8 points of damage (assuming you are a Medium creature) when it hits.[/I]

This part is clear.

If you are not a Medium creature, your bite attack’s base damage varies as follows: Fine 1d2, Diminutive 1d3, Tiny 1d4, Small 1d6, Large 2d6, Huge 2d8, Gargantuan 4d6, Colossal 6d6.

Okay, good to combine with expansion.

[I]Based on your psychic warrior level, your bite increases in ferocity as noted here: at 5th level your bite deals an extra 1d8 points of damage, at 10th level an extra 2d8, at 15th level an extra 3d8, and at 20th level an extra 4d8 points.

Here I start to wonder, is this additional damage just “psy damage” or is it supposed to increase by size?

As it is written I have come to the conclusion that it is just bonus damage completely independent upon your size, if you are to prove me otherwise the power drastically increases in power :P .

Reason I ask is I have had the chance to create a character in an rather optimized and role-play filled campaign where psy powers are more dragon-heritage flavored, and I use a psy warrior 6 with claws of the beast and improved natural weapon (claw) to decent effect, and is now wondering about taking bite of the wolf or not.

Any other tips if i want to focus on my claw attacks?

Edit: and while i have a psy thread going anyways:

The hammer power Hammer (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/hammer.htm)

What is the practical application of this power?
I find this power confusing to say the least, at first glance it even looked like a 1d8 dmg per round damage over time spell.

Guess i can make one attack per round, a touch attack for 1d8, if i get the chance, as many rounds as the power lasts, but then again manifesting a new power discharges the charge from your hand as with spells, right?
(This seems really, really ****ty.)

And as you get a free touch with the casting of a touch spell, do i get a free touch attack as part of the casting of this spell as a swift action ??? (I don't think so, another confusing aspect.)

Yuki Akuma
2010-09-09, 05:24 AM
The power says you gain an extra 1d8 as you go up in levels and makes no mention of size. So if you're, say, Large, you deal 2d6+1d8 damage at 5th level.

Otodetu
2010-09-09, 05:58 AM
The power says you gain an extra 1d8 as you go up in levels and makes no mention of size. So if you're, say, Large, you deal 2d6+1d8 damage at 5th level.

Thank you, that was my presumption too, but i was unsure.

Yorrin
2010-09-09, 02:06 PM
Yeah, Hammer isn't great, but it's a 1st level power, so you cant expect too much of it. Basically treat your touch as a 1d8 melee weapon (it's weapon-like as per CompArcane), so it takes an attack action every round to deal damage with it. Presumably you can do it multiple times per round with a full attack.

Yuki Akuma
2010-09-09, 02:12 PM
Hammer is good when you're unarmed and don't have Improved Unarmed Strike - but then you have natural weapon powers, so why use it?

Otodetu
2010-09-09, 03:54 PM
Heard something about a pre-nerf version, what is that about?

Kantolin
2010-09-09, 07:52 PM
I always thought the point of hammer was if you were in no way strength based, for one reason or another. The one time I got use out of it was in a (low level) game where I was an 8 strength blue psion, and used it to replace my physical attack.

So I suppose that's its primary point. I... I remember it being round/level, though (As in, spend 1pp, you now do 1d8 damage with a touch attack for round/level), which made it somewhat less useless for the proficient-with-a-longsword psychic warrior. So... so hey.

Yuki Akuma
2010-09-10, 07:38 AM
You gain the abilityt o deal 1d8 damage with a touch attack for 1 round/level. The touch attack doesn't deal 1d8 damage per round or anything.