PDA

View Full Version : [NP] Northport OOC

Pages : [1] 2

Rebonack
2010-09-09, 09:52 AM
Welcome one and all to Northport, the jewel of the cost! From our bustling shipyards to thriving industrial district our city is a paragon of business and productivity even in these trying times! For the culture buffs our museums and art galleries are rivaled by few and matched by none and if the bustle of the city gets a little taxing come visit the sprawling City Park! Our fine city is home to peoples tracing their roots to all parts of the world, a mosaic of diversity and a dream come true to any connoisseur of ethnic cuisine! Come visit Northport and see the world in just one city!

-Paid for by the Northport tourism bureau.

Okay, so what is it? First of all, this isn't a crossover universe. While the setting is very flexible please refrain from lifting elements straight from other settings and plopping them in here.

Northport is a modern RP setting we'll be creating, one unique in that it aims to seamlessly integrate both fantasy and sci-fi elements in the bustle of urban sprawl. Think in terms of Men in Black meets X-Files meets Buffy meets traditional folklore.

The Average Joe/Jane is oblivious to the existence of the paranormal and fantastical apart from urban legends due to a combination of systematic cover-up and Disbelief. People tend to see what they want to see, and that's doubly true here. That's no ogre, that's just a really beefy bouncer. That masked avenger obviously isn't flying under his own power, he must be using a grappling hook.

But that doesn't preclude something really overt from jarring them awake so to speak.

This is a world of flower arranging pixies and disguised aliens driving taxis. Of super-villains plotting for world domination and super-heroes thwarting said plans all under the nose of the public. Of covert government organizations and deranged cultists. A fantastic world all hidden behind a thin veneer of normality.

Play a normal detective trying to make sense of errant facts that couldn't possibly make sense outside a werewolf attack. Play a leprechaun that runs a pawn-shop. Play a costumed champion that's dismissed by the public as just another loon in a silly suit. Play a mad genius bent on turning all the world's gold into sharp cheddar. The possibilities are quite limitless.

For now the purpose of this topic is to organize ideas and gauge interest. To build some organizations and locations for the city. To invent antagonists and protagonists alike.

Welcome to the urban jungle. We've got fun and games.

Dorizzit
2010-09-09, 11:19 AM
Posting interest. I currently lack the time to do anything more in depth than say that.

Terumitsu
2010-09-09, 11:57 AM
(And thus the local internet connection was finally fixed after almost a week of being down... And it was glorious.)

Right, so I read the bit in the general OOC and I've already got an idea. A few of you from chat might or might not know that I've been working on a few alien races lately and I could thusly supply some opportunities for the MIB equivelents to run around for some damage control. Well, that and I could supply a metric crap-ton of aliens as well (Assuming nobody minds the rather long entries about them and their culture... OOH! how about a Xenolog that the MIB-ish people keep? That or just a specific denotation of a [race] in the character creation area. Anyway, something to think about).

But that aside, there is some building to be done. I suppose it would be best to describe the general culture and what coast the city is on. Culture being if it is American or European as that will have some say on how characters interact and their background to some degree. Also, what about the general area outside Northport? Does it mainly have a commercial workbase or industrial? Tourism seems to be a large part of the city's economy from the description but aside from the given notations, are there any specific locations or draws that could narrow things down a bit? Might it be that it's just a nice place with nice people and good food?

How does the media react to superheroes? Just a part of living in Northport or could watching them be a part of the reason why tourists come, hoping to see a bit of the action? Do Supers both good and evil try to put on a bit of a show for the people that watch? Is spandex manditory super-wear? In that same bit of thought... Where do Supers get their costumes? Are there suppliers around the city who know their identity or do they just order custom off the internet (Not the most plausable as some outfits may require special materials that can tip off a savvy supplyer)?

Are there other cities with supers? If not, then why only Northport? If so, then why is Northport special? Why is it a prime target for villians in either case? Are there any mystical ruins or remains that make the place a magnet for the supernatural and the things that go bump in the night? Are there some supers with powers that can jarr people awake and thus have them on lockdown unless absolutely necessary? Are there agencies who look after such supers to keep them on a leash? Do supers have to apply to some part of the government to become 'legal vigilanties/ privatised law enforcement?' Is there an organisation that the Evil supers belong to for funding/recourses? What is their goal? Are there any additional defences added to the cell of an evil super who is captured? Is there a code of honor between nemesies that can be summed up in a few words or is it anything goes? Might such things vary between the various good/evil supers?

How does the average Joe/Jane react to the idea a super? Do they think superhumans are a good thing or might they suffer from the 'X-Men syndrome' where different is a bad thing?

Quite a few of these questions can be rendered moot depending on how we play this. However, all that aside, one can assuredly color me very interested.

Terry576
2010-09-09, 12:00 PM
I'll post for interest.

I've been tossing around the idea of a succubi character for a while, but in Nexus and stuff it would just be "oh look a succubi."

Here it might be interesting. :smalltongue:

Ponderthought
2010-09-09, 01:34 PM
Uncle Ponder, reporting for duty.

I wrote up some ideas about the city's layout last night. Just so we can kind of get an idea of what various areas of the city feel like.

Old Town
The crumbling heart of Northport, Old Town is all that remains of the original settlement. Intimidating courthouses from the 30's stand side by side with aging byzantine cathedrals from the 19th century. While still and important center of commerce and government, most businesses in Old Town are gradually migrating across the river to Newton.

Newton
Newton is the financial center of Northport. Here, gleaming skyscrapers huddle close together, looming over the streets like walls of steel and glass. The district continues to grow as investors pour money into the resident banks, and it sometimes seems like the budding financial district will swallow up the rest of the city.

Curtistown
Curtistown may be the poorest neighborhood in the city.It's said that one could walk a block in Curtistown and hear a dozen languages. Many immigrants find their first home in Curtistown, but are soon disillusioned by the rampant crime and squalor.

Bailey Hook
Baily hook is a thin sliver of land between Baily Harbor and the open ocean, and the newest playground of the rich and famous. The area is littered with new mansions and upscale housing, and there's been a great deal of talk about turning part of the area into a gated community, to keep out the growing number of destitute transients who sleep on the beaches.

Harbor District
The harbor district is full of squat, grey factories and warehouses, since it swallowed up the industrial district in the fifties. The district is dull and foreboding, and the vast majority of Porters avoid the area when their able.

Mercury City
Mercury city is the place to be. A former residential district, Mercury City has nearly been completely consumed by nightclubs, theaters and other assorted entertainment venues. While the upscale folk from Baily Hook might prefer to attend an opera in Old Town, just about everybody else aims to spend their weekends in Mercury City.

Chinatown
Huddled on the edge of the Harbor District, Chinatown is an enigma to the rest of the city. The police dont come unless called, and even then they only preform a show-investigation, cart away a body, and mark the case unsolved.

And now, some brainstorming.

But that aside, there is some building to be done. I suppose it would be best to describe the general culture and what coast the city is on. Culture being if it is American or European as that will have some say on how characters interact and their background to some degree. Also, what about the general area outside Northport? Does it mainly have a commercial workbase or industrial? Tourism seems to be a large part of the city's economy from the description but aside from the given notations, are there any specific locations or draws that could narrow things down a bit? Might it be that it's just a nice place with nice people and good food?

We pretty much fished the cities name out of an old Pulp Heroes setting and modernized it. The original information gave it the feel of a sort of ambiguously east coast city. It's sort of a "this totally isnt New York" city, like Gotham or Metropolis from DC comics. As for attractions and local culture, I kind of like the idea of a very multicultural city built on the site of an old colonial settlement. People come to visit the historic sites, and maybe stop off at a Russian or Portuguese restaurant on the way home.

How does the media react to superheroes? Just a part of living in Northport or could watching them be a part of the reason why tourists come, hoping to see a bit of the action? Do Supers both good and evil try to put on a bit of a show for the people that watch? Is spandex manditory super-wear? In that same bit of thought... Where do Supers get their costumes? Are there suppliers around the city who know their identity or do they just order custom off the internet (Not the most plausable as some outfits may require special materials that can tip off a savvy supplyer)?

The public tends to be very skeptical of superheros. Considering that a good deal of supers/supernaturals/aliens cover is the sheer disbelief of the public, this makes sense. The general public might believe that Captain Fantastic is a loon who dresses up in a costume to fight crime, but they probably dont believe he can fly on his own. If they see him do it, they probably think hes using wires or a glider.

On the subject of costumes, their probably not very common. A super who actually decided to fight crime might wear a spandex costume, but your average "wolverine on the street" probably wears his regular clothes. As for wear they get them, thats something for their players to decide.

Are there other cities with supers? If not, then why only Northport? If so, then why is Northport special? Why is it a prime target for villians in either case? Are there any mystical ruins or remains that make the place a magnet for the supernatural and the things that go bump in the night? Are there some supers with powers that can jarr people awake and thus have them on lockdown unless absolutely necessary? Are there agencies who look after such supers to keep them on a leash? Do supers have to apply to some part of the government to become 'legal vigilanties/ privatised law enforcement?' Is there an organisation that the Evil supers belong to for funding/recourses? What is their goal? Are there any additional defences added to the cell of an evil super who is captured? Is there a code of honor between nemesies that can be summed up in a few words or is it anything goes? Might such things vary between the various good/evil supers?

Were trying to focus on Northport for now, just to let the setting grow organically, but be assured there are probably similar things going on elsewhere. As for the other issues, theres abit of a mix of things going on: The government in general acts like average people towards the fantastic: the rationalize it. Thus, there probably isnt an "Office of Superhero Affairs" where one can get a license to throw dump trucks around town. On the other hand, weve been discussing a sort of awakened agency (I like to call it Vigil, cause it sounds cool) that handles damage control for the fantastic elements. They discredit the rumors, rationalize the eye-witness accounts, and generally keep the general public from having a panic attack.I think theyd probably be willing and able to take down or lock up any super or supernatural that threatened that mission as well. As for good and evil supers, the idea is that supers are people, and essentially unregulated forces. A pair of adversaries might have a code of honor between them, another pair might be waging all out war.

How does the average Joe/Jane react to the idea a super? Do they think superhumans are a good thing or might they suffer from the 'X-Men syndrome' where different is a bad thing?

It probably varies between individuals. One person might idolize Captain Fantastic for being an upright paragon of virtue, and another person might demonize him as a dangerous loon. Most normal folk would probably prefer not to think about them or get involved.

happyturtle
2010-09-09, 01:46 PM
((Pick a [Tag] please, and edit the title of the OP to include it at the front. Makes it easier for people to scan the subforum page. Also, you should link this thread in ffrp central. :smallsmile:))

Mina Kobold
2010-09-09, 02:15 PM
Posting interest.

I'm kinda split between playing a trickster fantasy thing of sorts, a streetwise alien or a normal with an arsenal and a pessimist Agent Mulder personality.

Probably one of the former *ponders*

Oh well, will get back at you when I have thought it through :smallsmile:

Rebonack
2010-09-09, 02:22 PM
A [TAG] will be forthcoming as soon as we come up with one! If all else fails it might just be [Northport].

Looks like your questions have been answered for the most part Teru. Just to add to the idea of the 'super heroes affairs' department I would imagine that we would have something more akin to Men in Black. A pseudo-governmental organization that sorta does its own thing. They have the planet's best interest at heart, though the fact that there would be no actual oversight might lead to some abuses.

I'll post for interest.

I've been tossing around the idea of a succubi character for a while, but in Nexus and stuff it would just be "oh look a succubi."

Here it might be interesting.

Yeah, one of the big differences between this setting and the Nexus is that everything is mundane and normal in the Nexus. The idea with Northport is to keep the fantastical fantastical.

In terms of characters, both PCs and NPCs, I've got a general idea of what categories they would fall under. A demon would probably be considered a Paranormal.

Normal Joes: Standard humans, may or may not have any useful training. Generally their mind will glaze over fantastical happenings, though some are 'awakened' to the preternatural world. Usually by an encounter with a being that they simply can't ignore. Just because someone's normal doesn't mean they can't be bad-ass.

Supers: Ordinary humans with extraordinary abilities. They might have been born with them. Or maybe gained them through a freak accident with some gamma rays. Or maybe they found a tome of terrible arcane power. Or maybe they found some alien technology that has been adapted for their own use. Supers would probably be the most 'overt' of the various preternatural types, the most likely to be noticed by the public since they're still human. Most average Joes would assume that Supers aren't actually Super. More like Batman.

Paranormals: Ghosts, ghouls, vampires, extra-dimensional beings. The generally spooky sorts. I would imagine they would be much like ghosts are considered in RL. Some people think they exist, others don't. No real 'hard evidence' that they do.

Xenos: Aliens! Hi-tech, may have some preternatural abilities by human standards. Would probably disguise themselves by hiding inside the head of their robotic human body or some such. Think Men in Black.

Fables: Talking animals at the petting zoo, a leprechaun running the pawn-shop, tinker-elf fixing your laptop. Mythological beings hiding in plain sight. They would probably appear normal through a mix of Disbelief, shape-shifting, glamor, and mundane disguise. These guys would probably be the hardest for normal folks to spot what with magical appearance alteration and all.

On the subject of Fables I think it would be a decent idea, especially if snagging a critter out of folk-lore, to do some reading on it and find out how they were warded off. How you could recognize them. Things of that nature. Startle a disguised troll and you might catch a glimpse of her tail and so forth.

Dorizzit
2010-09-09, 03:01 PM
Right now, I have two ideas for characters, a wolf guardian spirit, and a relatively normal person who has been trained in dealing with malevolent spiritual/supernatural/bizarre entities.

Artemis97
2010-09-09, 03:27 PM
I think we need a better tag than Northport, it's kind of long and there may be more than one city in the setting if we expand enough... Maybe just UA?

Oh, and here I am expressing interest. Will probably play someone more 'normal' if only because it's easy to remember what they can and can't do ^_^"

I'd also like to bring up the idea that the government usually has multiple agencies for things, who's jurisdictions often cross over. There's probably one specifically dealing with alien entities, another with paranormal phenomena, another for supers, and another for malevolent beings.

There are probably a few private organizations around too. Like the previously mentioned Ghostbusters or the TAPS crew on TV.

One of the character concepts brewing in my head is a Private Eye/Monster Hunter type person.

Just my 2cp.

Ponderthought
2010-09-09, 03:57 PM
Hoo, Ive got alot of characters thought up for this... A super who works for the Russian Mob, An exasperated agent assigned to deal with the fallout from supernatural events in one of the neighborhoods, an exiled alien who needs an iron man type power suit just to survive.. this is gonna be fun.

Creed
2010-09-09, 04:01 PM
*pokes head in*
This looks like alot of fun, so I guess I'll throw my hat in for intrest/acceptance.
I was thinking along the lines of some... person...
*crawls off to brainstorm character ideas*

Terumitsu
2010-09-09, 04:23 PM
Well, because any good hero or cause needs a villian, I've got an idea for an 'evil' corperation called Penumbra. Big researchers and producers of medical drugs and, recently, high-tech medical equipment after a recent aquisition of a smaller technology company. Most of their stuff seems aimed at understanding how the brain works and what affects it... However, they have more than one 'Factory' within Newport that is under high security and it has been noted by some conspiracy theorists that occasionally people go in... And never return. I've got some nifty ideas on how this will play out and it's best ment for those investigative types. Also those who don't mind horror plots.

I've also got a few characters ready to go, one of them being a misplaced alien of a culture yet to fully develop dropped here by another set of aliens as a prank.

The pranking aliens some of you might recognise from a while back. Yup, those dissecting electric dudes are at it again! As a whole, I plan to have them in a somewhat good standing with the MIB-like organisation... Which we should find a name for soon. Vigil does sound nifty though.

Lesse, one low-powered super associated with Penumbra. One normie.... And several more aliens as time goes on depending if they fit or not. Yes, I like making aliens if it hasn't been noted yet.

As for the tag, I'm gonna toss the idea in of perhaps an abbreviated Northport or [NP] or maybe perhaps [North] simply to keep the character number down.

Also, I like your layout there Ponder.

Anyway, that's it for me for the moment. Dorm-nets are still taking some time to do stuff but I think they'll have most of the kinks worked out after I do some homework and grab foods.

Creed
2010-09-09, 04:35 PM
Two ideas, one is funny, one is not.

The funny one is a superhero who has the power to rhyme. But he has to do it all the time.
So he goes around, snapping, rapping, and capping on all the bad guys while the other heroes do all the real work. It's like a labor union, but more funny!:smalltongue:

The other is a former army marksman (discharged for killing a civilian on purpose) who inherited a small fortune and used it to found a small weapons company that caters to gangs and yakuza agencies with unique weaponry.
Essentially a bad dude.

Earl of Purple
2010-09-09, 05:18 PM
Ages ago, possibly before Bleach the first, somebody had a modern city using magic instead of technology. I submitted a character for that which I never used; a gremlin. Expressing interest as a WWII sprite which meddles with aircraft (at least, that's the origin of gremlins; this one won't be aerocentric).

That gremlin was a pyromaniac, now I think about it. I may keep that aspect, but I think it (and all gremlins) should keep the ability to temporarily make something broken work.

Rebonack
2010-09-09, 07:02 PM
[North], [NP], and [UA] could all work. Are there any preferences?

Also, I love gremlins. Any kind of prankster type critter is good in my book. It would be hilarious if he ran an appliance repair shop where he broke people's stuff so they would bring it to him to fix =P

I think it's worth deciding whether we want to try going for an official government organization(s) that deals with preternatural stuff, or more of a psuedo-government organization like MIB.

Also, putting together a list of organizations/companies/what have you might be a good idea.

So far we have Vigil and Penumbra as well as the requisite mafia. A group of bad-guys that are actively antagonistic toward non-humans would be reasonable too.

Terry576
2010-09-09, 07:13 PM
I have two character ideas:

In continuing with my personal favorite power evar, a dude who controls electricity. Anti-Hero. :smallbiggrin:

A Succubi, who hides what she really is by teaching at the local high school.

Ponderthought
2010-09-09, 07:26 PM
I cast my vote for [NP] it's elegantly simple.

As for organizations, I think the camora, red mob, triads and south american cartels all deserve representation. The Camora could have vampiric leaders, the red mob could actively try and recruit supers, the triads might be led by some Lo Pan-esque sorcerer and the cartels could just be Scarface style cartels.

As for an actively antagonistic organization..Abberant uses the Church of Michael Archangel as ignorant zealots, but that might offend someone...

Creed
2010-09-09, 07:50 PM
I think I'm going to go with my big bad former-marksman idea, cause "Captain Rappin'" is just too hilarious. I'll save that for comic relief.:smallbiggrin:

Anyways, I'm trying to think of an ominous name for the weapons dealing organization that may also provide for one or more players later on. And an area for a base of operations, though that's fairly easy...
feedback welcome on this topic.

Also, Terry, do the succubi.
And not that kinda "do". Get ye' head outta da gutter man!:smalltongue:

Rebonack
2010-09-09, 08:33 PM
Using any religious references is probably a bad idea due to the rules on such things. 'n since good ol' Mikey is part of Christian lore using his name for one of the bad-guy organizations wouldn't be wise. 'course, racism (speciesism?) isn't a purely religious phenomenon by any means.

A church of sorts could work, but it would need to be divorced of any overt connections to RL faiths.

Oh! And on the subject of succubi I feel the need to point out that traditionally they were really ugly. The pin-up succubi is basically a DnD thing as far as I can tell.

Terumitsu
2010-09-09, 09:30 PM
Names for a weapons organisation? I've got a few random ones:

Trident
Calypsis
Ubermechanica (Can't remember the key combination to make the U with the dots over it.)
Ballistae
Grappel
Shivet
Caustic
Black Iron
Terry Cruze's AA12 (Probably spelled his last name wrong)

Hopefully these will get you started!

Also that last one was a joke entry but a very awesome gun in the movie... Incase you couldn't tell.

Artemis97
2010-09-09, 09:47 PM
I put my vote in for [NP] as a tag. It's simple, original and should be easy to remember.

Rebonack
2010-09-09, 10:09 PM
Hmmm...

On the subject of an antagonistic organization toward non-humans... The Church of Humanity!

On the surface they seem like your standard societal welfare focused group. They do community service, hold bake sales for local schools, flay gnomes alive... You know, wholesome stuff like that. They believe in the sanctity and importance of every human life. And believe non-humans to be wretched demons spawned from the depths of the nether realms bent on conquest of the world and enslavement of humanity!

Isn't that swell?

Ponderthought
2010-09-09, 10:17 PM
They sound lovely. They should have a bake sale with the church of Starry Wisdom.

>.>

Artemis97
2010-09-09, 10:21 PM
I don't know if the Church of Humanity is a great name... aren't most people supposed to not know about the strange non-human beings that are out there?

Or are these guys more of a cult like thing? Not a lot of followers, or maybe they just aren't taken seriously by the common man?

That said, should we think of a mainstream religion? Something the guys who wards off vampires and demons and ghosts can call upon.

Rebonack
2010-09-09, 10:30 PM
Think of it in terms of Christianity sans most of the religious components. Doing good for your fellow man, love you neighbor, stuff like that. It was founded by some philosopher a few thousand years ago who taught about living a good life and so on.

They don't make it clear that they believe in preternatural beings, aside from 'demons' that are generally spiritualized as society's ills. To everyone else they just seem like generally nice people that want to make the world a better place for everyone.

'n they tend to try to find people that have been 'awakened' and recruit them in addition to their unawakened followers. You've got to admit, if someone suddenly realized that there's a troll on the bus with them they would high-tail it to the nearest person who might be able to explain it. And if a fairly common religion provided 'em with the answer?

Must be them demons.

On other faiths, yeah. Probably. I think going with the 'strong faith in general' DnD route would be best to avoid the sticky situation of deciding one of our made up religions is 'real' and the others are 'fake'. 'course, Paranormal beings are generally creatures of thought and belief, so it makes sense that potent belief could ward them off.

ApeofLight
2010-09-09, 10:54 PM
Yeah, I agree with Rebo on the faith thing. Would help keep messy situations with the rules popping up with that.

Also I really like all of these ideas popping up and getting fleshed out and what not.

I think a true government organization would be best but something more like the Stargate program mixed with the MIB. Basically there are a few government officials that know about them and keep tabs on them but they pretty much have free rein of what they do. There would also be several branches that deal in different areas. Like one for aliens, one for supers, one for fables, one for supernatural, etc

Maybe one could be Most Observant Watchers, or MOW.

Creed
2010-09-10, 06:14 AM
Names for a weapons organisation? I've got a few random ones:

Trident
Calypsis
Ubermechanica (Can't remember the key combination to make the U with the dots over it.)
Ballistae
Grappel
Shivet
Caustic
Black Iron
Terry Cruze's AA12 (Probably spelled his last name wrong)

Hopefully these will get you started!

Also that last one was a joke entry but a very awesome gun in the movie... Incase you couldn't tell.

Oooh Black Iron! That sounds badass in the first degree!
Thanks, I will be using that!:smallbiggrin:

Mina Kobold
2010-09-10, 09:50 AM
I vote for [NP] too! It looks nice and welcoming :smallsmile

I'm thinking about playing a pixie. Now, it will be based on the original English myths along with some artistic freedom on behalf of societal and technological changes since then.

The original myths have them wear green clothes with pointy hats, be nearly ageless and have a fondness of finery and horses. They were also smaller than humans but big enough to mate with them as they were a lot closer to humans than much other Fey.

Now I'll keep the green clothes but replace the hat with a scarf for this particular pixie, the fondness will remain in all aspects but the horse one will be expanded to include other modes of transportation (in this case, a modified Delorean :smalltongue:) The size will remain along with the wings I forgot before.

I couldn't find any specific wards that was supposed to work on pixies (maybe because they were rather harmless) so I'm thinking the standard iron and holy water used or made by a person of enough faith. I'm thinking about having the charming and blessing spells of the original myth included as well (otherwise the Delorean couldn't plausibly still be functional :smalltongue:)

Sounds good? :smallsmile:

Rebonack
2010-09-10, 03:19 PM
Sounds pretty much perfect. From what I understand solitary Fey generally wore red whilst the more sociable ones wore green. Apparently they were color coded for our convenience.

While all these ideas are still fresh in everyone's mind, what kind of time-frame do you want to place on starting the IC thread?

Terumitsu
2010-09-10, 03:53 PM
I'm ready for any time but sooner is likey better. Ideas are better out of the oven rather than sitting in the window for a few days and getting all hard and dry and stuff.

Okay, well, there are some ideas that are best left to ferment but most characters are like bread... Or perhaps you could say that the fermentation process is the act of playing them and letting them evolve... If that's the case, what is the cheese, though? You gotta have cheese with bread and wine!

...Right, so, I'm up for whenever possible.

Ponderthought
2010-09-10, 04:01 PM
Inspiring clarity of metaphor. Ill have to agree though, sooner is better than later.

Mina Kobold
2010-09-10, 04:11 PM
Sounds pretty much perfect. From what I understand solitary Fey generally wore red whilst the more sociable ones wore green. Apparently they were color coded for our convenience.

While all these ideas are still fresh in everyone's mind, what kind of time-frame do you want to place on starting the IC thread?

Never heard about that, I just read Wikipedia's article on Pixies which mention that they are often depicted as wearing green :smallredface:

Checking up on the same source it seems there are overlaps between faerie myths and pixie ones but that they are apparently not the same due to some weird clause about seelie courts and whether you are made of laughter or flesh and blood.

Man, magic is weird :smalltongue:

I am way too tired from lack of sleep to know what you mean by time frame, care to explain? :smallsmile:

Terumitsu
2010-09-10, 04:18 PM
From what I've gathered, the biggest difference is that Fairies have the power of glamoure while pixies have that of simple illusion, are small, and can fly. Over time, they have become synonymous with each other but it should be noted that there is a difference

Oh! One more thing. Pixies are the mischevious ones while the Fairies are the ones who may or may not leave you shivering and alone in the forest gibbering madly and lacking cloathing as well as most of the years of your life if they even imagine you have slighted them in some way.

Old school Fey. Do not mess with. Ever.

Mina Kobold
2010-09-10, 04:59 PM
From what I've gathered, the biggest difference is that Fairies have the power of glamoure while pixies have that of simple illusion, are small, and can fly. Over time, they have become synonymous with each other but it should be noted that there is a difference

Oh! One more thing. Pixies are the mischevious ones while the Fairies are the ones who may or may not leave you shivering and alone in the forest gibbering madly and lacking cloathing as well as most of the years of your life if they even imagine you have slighted them in some way.

Old school Fey. Do not mess with. Ever.

Wow, fairies are scary.

Kinda funny that they are described as being closer to angels than humans and/or being created when the first baby laughed when they act more like evil alien abductors, isn't it? :smalltongue:

EDIT:
From what I could gather the Pixies only had minor magic and the ability to bless whatever they want while fey can shape-shift and use powerful magic.

Falgorn
2010-09-10, 05:04 PM
Ah, I am interested. I've always wanted to play a Leprecahaun. IF that's okay, of course.

Earl of Purple
2010-09-10, 05:14 PM
I think the medieval Christian explanation of faeries is that they were angels cast from Heaven whose sins weren't enough to earn them a place in Hell. They are fallen angels, though, and that's why there's the occasional mention of faeries kidnapping human children; it's to keep themselves free from Hell. I think.

Mina Kobold
2010-09-10, 05:21 PM
I think the medieval Christian explanation of faeries is that they were angels cast from Heaven whose sins weren't enough to earn them a place in Hell. They are fallen angels, though, and that's why there's the occasional mention of faeries kidnapping human children; it's to keep themselves free from Hell. I think.

Well it is on the list (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairy#Origin_of_fairies)

That list tell us that Donna Troy isn't the first magical being that everybody want their ow origin for :smalltongue:

ApeofLight
2010-09-10, 05:59 PM
Hmm, I wonder if a intelligent zombie could be part of the task force that deals with aliens.

And like the reason he keeps helping with it is because the MIB type people have the tech to regrow body parts but they haven't perfected it for living tissue or something...

I don't know but it's an idea.

IcemanJRC
2010-09-10, 06:26 PM
*Emerges from the Lurk*

Hey. I was looking around and decided that, if it's cool, I'd like to play a part in this. I wanna try and expand my roleplaying and writing skills, this seemed like a good place to start, so I figure I'd poke in. Still brainstorming ideas...

Rebonack
2010-09-10, 07:24 PM
I caught a Lurker!

Woo!

I knew that Science Vessel would come in handy.

*ahem*

Right.

So at present I'm considering how we should go about making the IC threads. The obvious pick would be to write up a separate thread for the various Districts in the city and then use [Location Tags] at the top of posts to give people an at-a-glance way of telling where the actions are taking place.

So let's say I've got a bumbling paranormal investigator who has been scouring the cemeteries for signs of ghosts. I would probably post in the Old Town topic and head my post with something like [Memorial Cemetery]

Seem reasonable?

If everyone likes that idea I suggest anyone who feels so inclined type up an opening post for one (or more) of the districts in our fine city. From there we can decide which seems most fitting.

'kay?

Once the District intros are done we can start making the IC threads.

Ponderthought
2010-09-10, 07:47 PM
I think perhaps we should keep it as one consolidated thread to begin with, with perhaps players heading up their posts with location tags. If it gets increasingly complex, then we can split it into separate district threads.

Chaotic Bob
2010-09-10, 07:49 PM
So many walls of text. I got through two and my eyes glazed over. :smallsigh:

Anyway, I'd be interested.
I have a rather normal fellow who could fit in. And I'm always willing to manipulate a fable for something more interesting. Or play a dastardly villain.

I love dastardly villains.

Dorizzit
2010-09-10, 09:23 PM
I think perhaps we should keep it as one consolidated thread to begin with, with perhaps players heading up their posts with location tags. If it gets increasingly complex, then we can split it into separate district threads.

I agree. Better one thread with location tags.

Rebonack
2010-09-10, 09:27 PM
Alright, single thread to start with. Branch out if things start going nuts. All depend son how much traffic we get I suppose.

That said!

We need an intro. We can do this the boring way (dry bland statement of what the thread is about) or we can do it the awesome way (some kind of grandiose description of the city and/or events taking place in it).

Preferences?

Chaotic Bob
2010-09-10, 09:40 PM
I vote grandiose description.
Boring stuff can go in a spoiler below the fun stuff.

Terumitsu
2010-09-10, 10:03 PM
Did someone say Grandiouse Description? [/hammy voice]

It would be good to lay out exactly what we want though.

Would we all be agreed upon the basic areas suggested by Ponder?

ApeofLight
2010-09-10, 10:50 PM
Yeah, I can go with the basic layout that was set forth by Ponder. Though maybe Chinatown should be called Shadow District or something? I don't know, I just don't really like the sound of Chinatown.

Mina Kobold
2010-09-11, 01:33 AM
The layout seems nice enough to me :smallsmile:

IonDragon
2010-09-11, 09:19 AM
At my current level of sleep deprevation, two pages seems like a daunting task to read. I will return, refreshed in about 8 hours I hope.

I'm cooking up a paranormal investigator type, possibly some flavor of Psy-rogue.

IcemanJRC
2010-09-11, 11:10 AM
I got it! A gnome who works in the subway, do we have a subway?

I think that I could actually do something with this...

Ponderthought
2010-09-11, 11:24 AM
Sure, why not?

Beans
2010-09-11, 11:24 AM
I have an idea for a character.

A woman in a business suit; tall and svelte, soft-spoken, generally polite. She explains that because of her overly-sensitive eyes, she always has to wear mirrored sun-spectacles.
The truth is that she doesn't need them for that reason. She has no eyes.
That's why she needs them.
There would be other odd things about her, perhaps.

How she would fit in... hm.
Perhaps a contact of the MIB?

Mina Kobold
2010-09-11, 11:30 AM
I have an idea for a character.

A woman in a business suit; tall and svelte, soft-spoken, generally polite. She explains that because of her overly-sensitive eyes, she always has to wear mirrored sun-spectacles.
The truth is that she doesn't need them for that reason. She has no eyes.
That's why she needs them.
There would be other odd things about her, perhaps.

How she would fit in... hm.
Perhaps a contact of the MIB?

Beans!

Haven't seen you since... I have no idea when but it's a long time ago! :smalltongue:

Groovy character, mysterious 0_0

The gnome above is pretty groovy too, I just can't stop connecting it to the subway system in Seven Soldiers of Victory, though :smalltongue:

IcemanJRC
2010-09-11, 11:46 AM
Wow Veak, seven soldiers is pretty old school...

So are we still in the building stage for the world? If so, what do we still need?

Mina Kobold
2010-09-11, 12:02 PM
Wow Veak, seven soldiers is pretty old school...

So are we still in the building stage for the world? If so, what do we still need?

Not the Silver Age one, the Grant Morrison run :smalltongue:

I think we have the layout and classifications finished and just need to finish the evil church, MIB and some other organisations :smallsmile:

IcemanJRC
2010-09-11, 12:15 PM
Oh, I see.

Rebonack
2010-09-11, 12:30 PM
I think it would be safe to say that the layout suggested by Ponder will work just fine.

'n we still need to make a conclusion on the MIB organization. It sounds like we're leaning toward a straight up government entity, which suggests that higher-ups in the government are aware of what's going on what with the aliens and pixies and so forth. That's pretty standard fair for most government conspiracy style stuff.

Would certainly leave things open for a Moulder-type fellow to be trying to figure out what's going on. The truth is out there and all that.

The idea for the Church of Humanity (or whatever we name them) is that they're more of a philosophical faith rather than a theological one. Most of the adherents wouldn't be awakened, believing that the 'demons' are simply a spiritualization of inner evil or social ailments or something. Though I imagine people could be initiated into awakening via a minotaur locked in the basement or something.

IcemanJRC
2010-09-11, 12:36 PM
Sounds plausible, pretty interesting too...

Mina Kobold
2010-09-11, 01:25 PM
Sounds plausible, pretty interesting too...

Since my writing talent is too poor for even writing my own post (or I might just be lazy) I second this :smalltongue:

The minotaur-in-the-basement idea provides for excellent rescue plots and government conspiracies are always fun :smallbiggrin:

Terry576
2010-09-11, 01:26 PM
Alright, playing three characters:

Succubi (Modernized), school teacher.

Fey (Elvan), lives in a shrine.

Superhuman (Control Over Lightning), doesn't wear a costume, associates openly with the supernatural.

Beans
2010-09-11, 01:28 PM
I only have one so far, the woman I will tentatively call Ms. Gettler.

Creed
2010-09-11, 01:35 PM
Dominik "Creed" Lariso (Mob/MafiaITP folks might recognize that name:smallbiggrin:) , leader of the reclusive and dastardly Black Iron Weapons Manufacturer (BIWM) is locked and loaded with an arsenal of weapons fit for: A) A bad sci fi game or B) An E rated wacky third person shooter.
Locked and Loaded.
Get it?
He makes guns, and he's locked and loaded, which also means he's ready.
It's not very funny.
I'm going to shut up now...

Rebonack
2010-09-11, 01:42 PM
That sounds wise =P

=3

*ahem*

So the concept for the Church of Humanity seems alright?

Any suggestions for alternate names?

ApeofLight
2010-09-11, 01:45 PM
Church of the Order of Service?

Church of compassion?

Compassion Cult?

Kenyon
2010-09-11, 02:05 PM
I was thinking something more along the line of The Church/Order of the Gracious Light. Just enough cheese and happy adjectives to compose a good generic religion, if you ask me.

Also, I've got a few characters running through my head that I think would work brilliantly in this setting. However, I'm stuck at work. I'll have to break them down later.

Mina Kobold
2010-09-11, 02:32 PM
Just once I'd like to see a fictional church not worshipping a holy lightbulb :smallannoyed::smalltongue:

Kenyon
2010-09-11, 02:41 PM
Well, they tried calling themselves the Order of the Leaky Refrigerator a few years back, but the PR team said the name wasn't attracting many converts...

Artemis97
2010-09-11, 02:51 PM
I think I prefer Order to Church, because it's more of a philisophical movement, right?

Beans
2010-09-11, 02:57 PM
That makes sense.

Now I wonder what category the eyeless (and odd in other ways) Ms. Gettler fits into... probably Paranormal, I guess.

Rebonack
2010-09-11, 03:01 PM
Order of the Gracious Light?

Sounds pretty reasonable to me.

As for your PC Beans, it would help to know what she is aside from, y'know, a lady without any eyes. Is she a human with some unique abilities? Then she would be a super. A demon of your own creation? Then a paranormal.

Beans
2010-09-11, 03:07 PM
More of a humanoid abomination than anything else, so Para I guess.

I'm considering her being able to direct an electromagnetic field that interferes with such things as recording devices. She won't knock out your security camera, but the footage will be jumpy and static'd.

And/or something I might call "macroscopic quantum locomotion". Besides being a stupid name, it essentially means she can move rather fast when not being observed, sort of like how observation impacts the motion of quantum particles or something like that.

Thus, she can't zip about while you videotape her, but the video won't look good at all.

Rebonack
2010-09-11, 03:32 PM
I think it's important that characters be able to fit into one of the categories that we've got. The idea is to keep things within the setting. The setting certainly has lots of flexibility, but concepts still need to fall within it.

What exactly is she?

Beans
2010-09-11, 03:34 PM
A humanoid abomination. Not quite a demon, but I think it's close enough that it still fits as a Paranormal.

Ponderthought
2010-09-11, 03:49 PM
She sounds quite Eldritch Abomination-y to me...perhaps the old ones are making some inroads into old Northport?

So far for characters ive got:

Halcyon, an exiled alien that needs an Iron Man style powersuit to survive in Earths atmosphere.

Levi Dryden, a not so nice super working as a legbreaker for the russian mob with the ability to grow a sort of armored second skin.

Simon Lo, a Chinese-American agent of Vigil (or whatever) with ties to the Triads.

Earl of Purple
2010-09-11, 03:57 PM
I think I'll start with one character; the gremlin car-repairman who spends his free time leaving advertising leaflets under windscreen whipers and breaking the cars in minor-yet-annoying ways whilst he's at it. Sort of like a locksmith I heard of who, to get business, glued locks whilst he delivered adverts. As things progress, I'll introduce more characters.

ApeofLight
2010-09-11, 04:26 PM
For names for the MIB type organization maybe we can give it an actual name now?

Maybe like Most Observant Watchers?MOW

Or something like Watcher's of Northport? WON

People in Gray? PIG

People in white? PIW

Tactical Control of Information Regarding Extraterrestrials, Paranormals, Supers, and Fables?

Something more long winded? Less?

Earl of Purple
2010-09-11, 04:38 PM
I like the last one, but a shorter name's probably better.

Mina Kobold
2010-09-11, 05:03 PM
I like the last one, but a shorter name's probably better.

Or we could copy the SHIELD joke and have the name be long with an obvious abbreviation that nobody realises :smalltongue:

Rebonack
2010-09-11, 05:17 PM
She sounds quite Eldritch Abomination-y to me...perhaps the old ones are making some inroads into old Northport?

That's more or less what I was thinking. 'Abomination' can just mean lots of different things. If she is some kind of gribbly critter from beyond the walls of space and time 'Vigil', or whatever we decide to call it, might be a little leery about her.

What with the tendency of such beings to cause insanity and raise up deranged cults that venerate ancient, unspeakable things.

Preternatural Investigation and Guardian Service

Or PIGS.

Obviously someone at the NSA has a bad sense of humor.

The Bushranger
2010-09-11, 05:58 PM
In continuing with my personal favorite power evar, a dude who controls electricity. Anti-Hero. :smallbiggrin:
You mean this guy (http://doubleoduck3.tripod.com/shelley1.jpg)? :smalltongue:

Or would that be the NID (http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/National_Intelligence_Department)? :smallamused:

I might dump Patty Ann into this universe via dimensional anomaly. She's mostly human. But either one-quarter or one-eighth silver dragon, and the same for 'half-ghost'. :smallwink:

Rebonack
2010-09-11, 07:20 PM
I would personally prefer to avoid importing characters from other settings if it can be at all avoided. The purpose of NP is to be something of a fresh start.

ApeofLight
2010-09-11, 07:47 PM
<.<

*Hides Foro behind his back*

Zoo? What Zoo?

Rebonack
2010-09-11, 07:55 PM
<.<

*Hides Foro behind his back*

Zoo? What Zoo?

=P

Also, an idea occurred to me.

What does everyone think of the concept of excluding 'true' spiritual beings? Angels and demons and the like. A succubus could still work, but you would just have to find a folklore being that does more or less the same thing (there are lots of them, believe you me).

That would reserve Paranormal for undead and Mythos-styled otherworldly things.

Terry576
2010-09-11, 08:00 PM
Also, an idea occurred to me.

What does everyone think of the concept of excluding 'true' spiritual beings? Angels and demons and the like. A succubus could still work, but you would just have to find a folklore being that does more or less the same thing (there are lots of them, believe you me).

That sounds reasonable. Keeps out the "LOLZ I'M AN ANGEL, HAX" that happens a lot.

Ponderthought
2010-09-11, 08:02 PM
Id vote yes, but im abit biased, ive seen enough angles and demons (demons is very subjective though, and could refer to all sorts of mythological creatures)

ApeofLight
2010-09-11, 08:03 PM
I think Rebo means beings just from Heaven/Hell, Higher plane or Lower plane, and other various names.

Rebonack
2010-09-11, 08:25 PM
'Demon' is pretty subjective. In some contexts it simply means a monster of some kind.

What I'm talking about is the pitch-fork and red-tights sort of deal. The beings of puuuuure eeeeeevil that you find in the Outsider section of the Monster Manuel.

As a side benefit excluding such beings also precludes finding out which religion/afterlife is 'true'. After all, undead of various kinds never moved on. Additionally we would be lacking any overtly religious beings, which would allow us to link undead to the less morally inclined Paranormal creatures that like alien geometry.

Hey, it worked for HP.

The Bushranger
2010-09-11, 10:05 PM
I would personally prefer to avoid importing characters from other settings if it can be at all avoided. The purpose of NP is to be something of a fresh start.

Perhaps, however Patty Ann is still my character of choice here, since I don't have the time to create yet another new character. >_>

Kenyon
2010-09-11, 10:33 PM
Aww, no demons? Crap, that kinda kills one of my character ideas, I believe.

I was going to fit it into the Paranormal section, basically a husband-wife team of archaeologists, husband's more or less a normal guy, but wife is basically the avatar of an old Aztec demon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tzitzimime). It was based off a weird dream I had a couple of months ago, and I felt it would have really fit in.

If not, I have a few other ideas that I can flesh out, if need be.

Artemis97
2010-09-11, 10:49 PM
So... this has killed or crippled two or more people's character's concepts... I think removing the existance of angels and demons is a Bad Idea.

Terumitsu
2010-09-11, 10:52 PM
I think Christian Demons and Angels were the main focus unless we wish to include Devas and so on. Fell spirits, however, might better be rolled into Shinto/Shamanism/Druidism/Something or other to do with the Fey. I think more things can be rolled into that catagory depending on what they do, how they act and so on.

Beans
2010-09-11, 11:00 PM
That's more or less what I was thinking. 'Abomination' can just mean lots of different things. If she is some kind of gribbly critter from beyond the walls of space and time 'Vigil', or whatever we decide to call it, might be a little leery about her.

What with the tendency of such beings to cause insanity and raise up deranged cults that venerate ancient, unspeakable things.

Preternatural Investigation and Guardian Service

Or PIGS.

Heh, cults.
She'd enforce a dress code on any cult around her: Top button buttoned if you have a tie, otherwise not. Never wear brown shoes w/ blue suit.

Ponderthought
2010-09-11, 11:36 PM
Aww, no demons? Crap, that kinda kills one of my character ideas, I believe.

I was going to fit it into the Paranormal section, basically a husband-wife team of archaeologists, husband's more or less a normal guy, but wife is basically the avatar of an old Aztec demon. It was based off a weird dream I had a couple of months ago, and I felt it would have really fit in.

If not, I have a few other ideas that I can flesh out, if need be.

I think Tzitzimitl could be classified as a spirit, and thus, would be just fine.

Mina Kobold
2010-09-12, 06:18 AM
So... this has killed or crippled two or more people's character's concepts... I think removing the existance of angels and demons is a Bad Idea.

I don't think it has actually crippled any ideas that much, the Aztec tzitzimimeh weren't angels nor demons of any kind but More spirits guarding the astrological order or somesuch and Succubi/succuba* are not exactly much connected to neither hell or heaven (They are commonly said to be the descendants of a cursed human who have never been in either place)

So everything seems to work out nicely from y point of view :smallsmile:

*Depends on their orientation, Apparently succubus means 'lying below a man' and succuba 'lying below a woman' and not 'lying with everybody' :smalltongue:

Ashen Lilies
2010-09-12, 06:58 AM
Northport Mental Hospital, c.2003
The camera stared relentlessly down into the contents of cell 108, unblinkingly watching the 16 year old girl that languished within, barefooted in scrubs of some color so washed out and cold most people would give up and call them grey. She lay in her cell, back to the camera, shockingly thin blond hair hanging lank over her face as she stared at the flower she had sneakily plucked during the one hour she was allowed outside. Care Williams had not always had a camera pointed at her. Or rather, she had not always had a person at the other end of the camera, hovering over the button that would signal the orderlies to storm the padded cell and administer enough sedatives to slay a bull elephant (or so she would think when she woke up hours later with a headache that ranked roughly 9.5 on the Richter scale - Care had always had a mind for exaggeration). Once she had been allowed a normal room. Then she had been allowed a normal room, free of any sharp objects. Then a room free of furniture and hard surfaces. Then they took away her shoes. And then they decided to pad the walls. The 24-hour surveillance had come after she was found bled half to death, forearms opened by her own fingernails and teeth. That's when they pretty much gave up all hope that she would eventually be allowed to leave. They diagnosed her with disorders and deficits with names so long you could spend half a week rattling them off and still not reach the the third word, assigned some poor sap to waste away his life in front of a screen watching her, and buried her file in the deepest cabinet they could find, sure that they would never need to look at it again. That's because they were stupid. They didn't understand, what it was like to have a brother. They had told her lies. Her brother was missing. Her brother was dead. What a joke. Anyone with eyes could see her brother right there in the cell with her, borne on the cold winds from beyond the Styx, to pay his little sister a visit. He was nice like that.
"Hi El." Said the girl in an almost childish manner, flicking her grey eyes from the flower to the patch of empty space on the other side of the cell. "I found you a flower."

<hr>

A rehabilitation center in Curtistown, c.2006
Care Williams, 19, sat restlessly on her chair in front of the large oaken desk, flicking her heels back and forth to kick at the seat-bottom. Across from her, the elderly man in the suit with the glasses looked forbiddingly down at the file the girl had given her. He spoke slowly and clearly, in exactly the sort of manner you would expect from a man addressing a small child. Which in a way, he was.
"Now, Miss Williams. Care. Am I correct in under-"
"Elizabeth."
"I'm sorry?"
"Elizabeth. It's my name. The man said that once I got here I could begin the process to change it legally."
"Ah. I see. And if I may ask, what was wrong with your own name?"
Care shrugged. "I'm just not that person anymore. Frankly, she was kinda crazy. And I'm not. That's why I'm here, right?" She flashed Mr. Francis, as he was called, a nervous grin. He chuckled genially despite himself.
"So. Elizabeth. You came from the state institution across town, am I right?"
"Yep. It's a great place. The doctors are great. I wouldn't have made it here without them." :smallsmile:
Mr. Francis sincerely doubted it. He had his own opinion about the 'doctors' in that place. He stood.
"Well, everything checks out. Welcome to the center. I'll give you a tour." He smiled reassuringly at Elizabeth, a smile she returned, more confidently this time. Or not. Mr. Francis was quite sure, don't ask him how, that she was not smiling at him, but rather some person behind him, hovering just over his shoulder. But when he turned to lead Care into the facility proper, there was no one there.

<hr>

Some Apartment Building Somewhere (are there any residential districts besides Curtistown and Bailey Hook?), Present Day
Elizabeth Williams, thoroughly drunk and being touched in a most inappropriate manner by the man behind her (also thoroughly drunk) fumbled with the door keys, struggling to get them into the keyhole of her apartment. Stupid keyholes, why did they have to make them so bloody small! :smallmad:
She batted her playmate aside for a bit, allowing her enough concentration to open the door and tumble through, followed by her drunken companion.
She turned to him and they kissed again, and she guided him over to the couch and pushed him down on it, nearly tipping it over. She gave him the sort of look certain politicians have been seeking to criminalize for centuries, one corner of her lips (coated in too-bright lipstick) twitching upwards. "I'm going to the bathroom to 'freshen up'. You wait here..." She turned and flicked her hair, giving the man another smoldering look over her shoulder. "...and then we'll have a little more fun."
She sauntered towards the bathroom, making sure to swing her hips just the right amount, then closed the bathroom door and slumped against it, sighing heavily and feeling absolutely wretched. She pulled off her too-high heels and crossed the cold tiles towards the sink, where she started wiping off the masses of make-up she was wearing. Such a jerk. People like that shouldn't exist in the world, and Care shouldn't have to mingle with them if they did. But that would soon be fixed. She grinned, however, as a cold breeze whipped up, and she started to feel comforting hands on her shoulders, and a voice, nebulous and ethereal, whispering in her ear.
"Such a good sister. What would I do without you?"
The voice seemed to say.
"Hopefully we'll never find out." Said Elizabeth, giggling and grasping the hand that wasn't tickling her side. She wasn't the same emotionally crippled teen of 7 years ago. She wasn't crazy, at least, not much. She had friends, a job, a boy who worked at the local Bricksmasher Rental that she fully intended to ask out sometime, and a night on the town with her girlfriends every other Friday. But it was her brother who was her bestest friend. The one who she was closest to, the one who's company she sought after the most, and the one she shared all her secrets with. They fit together, like left and right, day and night, up and down and square and round, and Elizabeth wouldn't give up that partnership for the world.
My gift to you.
Care felt a light kiss on her cheek, and a cooling sense of calm seemed to spread through her body, chasing out the alcohol as it went. She smiled.
"Elijah, could you leave the door open on the way out? I think I need a little pick-me-up tonight."
The presence disappeared, and the lights flickered. And sure enough, just as Elizabeth was starting to run her bathwater, she heard the screams drifting through the half-open door like music.
"Bon Appétit."

Yeah. Color me interested.

McBish
2010-09-12, 11:26 AM
So I have a idea for a character. A worker of small magic and a maker of soap. Adding some special properties into the soap that he makes. A normal human with a bit of knowledge about the supernatural.

Rebonack
2010-09-12, 11:28 AM
I honestly don't see too much trouble with your idea, Kenyon. Weird skeletal women that gnaw on the sun? That could certainly fit into the folklore section easily enough. Much the same with succubi, there were plenty of beings from legends around the world that fit the same description.

Part of the issue that I have with angels and demons, at least if you're borrowing them from Christian legends, is that you're dealing with creatures of pure spiritual power that could annihilate armies of mortals without effort. And DnD type demons just don't really fit with the flavor at all.

And on Succubi, yeah. They're supposed to be descendants of Lilith after all, not true demons.

Basically use common sense. If something is so powerful that the Average Joe PCs would have zero chance to overcome it then it's not really fit for a PC.

Ponderthought
2010-09-12, 12:31 PM
Some Apartment Building Somewhere (are there any residential districts besides Curtistown and Bailey Hook?), Present Day

There's residential streets scattered around the city, aside from Bailey Hook and Curtistown. Old Town has its share of Victorian era townhouses, Mercury city has a few apartment buildings, and so on. The middle class in Northport likes to spread out.

Great story by the way. Sounds like something My character from over in [Horror] would be investigating.

ApeofLight
2010-09-12, 01:25 PM
I got an idea for a Normal Joe character.

Actually... I got the idea to steal a Normal Joe character.

Basically Daniel Jackson from stargate... except instead of ancient lore and myth turning out to be aliens it just turns out to be true for the most part...

Have I no shame when it comes to stealing characters?

Rebonack
2010-09-12, 02:05 PM
So long as he isn't actually from Stargate command feel free to draw inspiration from elsewhere.

I really don't mind if people come up with their own aliens/fey/what have you, but I would like to keep stuff from other works of fiction (mentioned DnD already) out. There will be overlap of course (goblins, dragons, trolls, ect) and we've already talked about Mythos-esc stuff. But if we can avoid lifting names (Cthulhu!) and so on that would be great!

Basically the aim here is to make a setting all our own instead of simply pinching bits and pieces from other settings. Imagine if we were actually making a book here. If you would get lawyer'd for using someone else's idea then it would be best to come up with something original.

ApeofLight
2010-09-12, 02:29 PM
Well the idea was basically to create a young professor that has studied folklore and myth to death basically. He has a small inkling of what might be going on but everybody just says he's crazy. Then he gets pulled into the Guardian service to help with stuff because he's perhaps the foremost expert on what there dealing with...

Rebonack
2010-09-12, 02:56 PM
*nodnod*

That's pretty much exactly what I was thinking.

It sounds like we've got the basics worked out. Should we just go ahead and jump in with the IC thread or come up with some kind of plotty event to get things rolling first?

Dorizzit
2010-09-12, 03:05 PM
We should probably get some characters formally made before we make an IC thread or plan plots. Just a thought.

Ponderthought
2010-09-12, 03:14 PM
I was actually wondering how we could present various plot events... perhaps occasionally put up a kind of "Headlines" post either here or the IC thread with a run down of current events? Something like "Northport Museum of History to play host to recently discovered artifact" or "Mysterious explosion rips through Harbor District" then let the players take those events whatever way they wish?

Rebonack
2010-09-12, 03:42 PM
Newspaper headlines would certainly be a unique way to advertise plots, that's for sure. We could update the first post here in the OOC with them to put them in a nice, easy place to find. Once the event is over then just remove it to make room for something new.

We should probably get some characters formally made before we make an IC thread or plan plots. Just a thought.

Do you mean massive character pages detailing the various minutia of a PC's appearance, backstory, personality, powers, ect ect?

I see that sort of thing as being strictly optional for the most part. Aside from an easy link to a basic description of a character's appearance so someone knows who they're talking to most of the information contained therein tends to be spoiler-y and totally unneeded for IC interaction. In a good story you learn who someone is as the story unfolds, it isn't all just dumped on you in a torrent of exposition at the beginning.

A name, what they do for a living, and a general physical description is pretty much all we need at this point. A succinct summery of a character tends to be more useful to the reader than volumes on their life up until now.

Does that seem reasonable?

Dorizzit
2010-09-12, 04:08 PM
I was actually wondering how we could present various plot events... perhaps occasionally put up a kind of "Headlines" post either here or the IC thread with a run down of current events? Something like "Northport Museum of History to play host to recently discovered artifact" or "Mysterious explosion rips through Harbor District" then let the players take those events whatever way they wish?

That sounds like a very interesting idea.

Do you mean massive character pages detailing the various minutia of a PC's appearance, backstory, personality, powers, ect ect?

No.

I see that sort of thing as being strictly optional for the most part. Aside from an easy link to a basic description of a character's appearance so someone knows who they're talking to most of the information contained therein tends to be spoiler-y and totally unneeded for IC interaction. In a good story you learn who someone is as the story unfolds, it isn't all just dumped on you in a torrent of exposition at the beginning.

I don't see it as optional. I don't think that massive entries are required, either; just basic information about the character and their capabilities. If nothing else, it helps to keep the universe internally consistent. Often times, people have different concepts about things that might be easy or difficult, and one character can severely conflict with another character's story simply by virtue of existing. Simply putting characters into the game with nothing other than a physical description is an excessively bad idea for a game of this sort.

A name, what they do for a living, and a general physical description is pretty much all we need at this point. A succinct summery of a character tends to be more useful to the reader than volumes on their life up until now.

I also consider history to be a largely unimportant and often spoiler laden aspect of character creation. Other areas are important, however, particularly what that character is capable of doing, as I said before. Again, this doesn't have to be novels, just a basic description.

Rebonack
2010-09-12, 04:45 PM
It sounds like we have the same idea, in that case. A succinct summery of who a PC is and what they do is more often than not be just fine. Something like...

Name
Species
Occupation
Physical description
Unique abilities or talents

Would that be sufficient?

Dorizzit
2010-09-12, 04:54 PM
A section on personality wouldn't be amiss, in my opinion. Otherwise, looks good.

Earl of Purple
2010-09-12, 05:05 PM
Personally, I usually have personalities which evolve through a character's use and actions.

Dorizzit
2010-09-12, 05:07 PM
Evolution is all well and good, but I would assume that you start out with at least some idea of their personality before hand.

The Bushranger
2010-09-12, 05:12 PM
For the most part, I have my characters with only a vague outline of their background - or even when I have it in more detail, I only reveal a small amount, at first. Better to reveal it IC. *nods*

Earl of Purple
2010-09-12, 05:14 PM
At the moment, the extent of my gremlin's personality is that he enjoys breaking things in minor ways, often enough minor ways to actually render a device inoperable. I have a vague idea that he's a coward, or at least dislikes combat.

IcemanJRC
2010-09-12, 05:23 PM
I've never liked the personality entry in characte sheets, I've always just prefered to just play the characters how they happen...

Rebonack
2010-09-12, 06:12 PM
I would have to agree that personality entries aren't all that needed. Someone should be able to tell what the personality of a PC is like through interaction quite easily while their abilities or description wouldn't be in the spotlight at all times.

Name: Eli Higgins
Species: Human
Occupation: Paranormal Investigator! (works at Bob's Burrito Barn)
Description: Eli is a rather stout young man at a little under six feet tall. When he isn't clad in BBB's classy work uniform he's usually found in a pair of loose cargo pants and a suitably mysterious black jacket. His dark hair is rather greasy, though whether this is due to liberal hair-gel use or making fries isn't clear. The man is a bit twitchy, jumpy even. Because you never know when a ghost might be lurking about!
Abilities and Talents: Eli has extensive knowledge of of the preternatural world- sort of. His limited awakening is enough to give him an inkling that something is off in the world, but not so much as to make the fantastical elements plain to his senses. As such he assumes that ghosts are the cause of the strange anomalies in his life and carries more than a few misconceptions about preternatural beings.

He can also make burritos pretty darn fast.

Name: Joshua (Josh) Watt
Species: Huldrekall
Occupation: Biology student, works part time at the Northport Zoo
Description: To the Unawakened Josh seems like fairly typical norther European stock, fair skin and light hair. Blue eyes. Devilishly handsome, to be honest. He's rather tall at a bit over six feet and well built. He generally dresses in earth tones, soft browns and greens. Tan slacks with a drab green jacket isn't unusual. Startle him enough and you might catch a glimpse of his tail. To the awakened his appearance is much the same, though his lithe tail that looks to be a cross between that of a cow and a fox is plain to see and his eyes take on a rather feral light.
Abilities and Talents: Josh has a decent degree of knowledge of wildlife in general as well as a basic understanding of other fields of science. This usually results in complaining about how impossible something is. As a Huldrekall he has access to limited use of Glamour, without which his appearance is quite bestial and hideous to behold. He's preternaturally strong, durable, and heat resistant though weapons made of anything other than metal overcome this resistance. He'll devour metallic objects and can regurgitate said meals as a defense. Molten steel in the face is never fun.

It is important to note that he is unable to cross a line of crushed egg shells, the loud tolling of a bell with throw him into a panic, and getting him wet enough during a lighting storm will reveal his true form.

Creed
2010-09-12, 06:16 PM

Agreed

Name: Dominik "Creed" Lariso
Occupation: Leader of the Black Iron weapons dealer group... thingy, Former SWAT Sharpshooter
Race: Human

Appearance: Dominik has meticulously groomed black hair that streches to about the top of his neck. He has blue eyes, stands at 6'1'', and weighs aproximately 130 lbms. When conducting buisness, he wears a black suit. Inside the suit in a pair of armpit holsters are Colt Peacemakers, each loaded with 5 of the possible 6 chambers at the ready. He carries a small box of applicable ammunition in his coat pocket.

Personallity: Dominik is the quintessential mastermind. He is intelligent, wealthy, and holds a bargaining chip over many street gangs: weapons. He has a cynical streak of sadism a mile wide, but is oddly concerned with his own well being and only does a job himself if he has to.

Skills: He's smart. And is a damn good shot.

The Black Iron Organization: Black Iron produces several weapons suited to urban enviroments, such as the Mark III Predator Personal Assault Weapon, a small machine pistol that has a foldable stock for superior accuracy and a silencer as a standard feature. Black Iron has a compound in Harbor District and a office in Chinatown, but "Creed" also wants to grow his money into other fields, and thus owns a small bar in Curtistown, called the Crucible.

DING!:smallbiggrin:
Order up, one character sheet, hold the cheese.

Dorizzit
2010-09-12, 06:17 PM
For the most part, I have my characters with only a vague outline of their background - or even when I have it in more detail, I only reveal a small amount, at first. Better to reveal it IC. *nods*

And the proposed system is designed to support that.

At the moment, the extent of my gremlin's personality is that he enjoys breaking things in minor ways, often enough minor ways to actually render a device inoperable. I have a vague idea that he's a coward, or at least dislikes combat.

Yes, and that's something. The entry doesn't have to be a full psychological evaluation of the character, it only needs some basic information.

I've never liked the personality entry in character sheets, I've always just preferred to just play the characters how they happen...

You make characters without any idea of how they'll act?

EDIT: Anyway, it looks like general consensus is against me on this one. Regardless, I would encourage people to write a personality entry, even if it's only a sentence or two. I won't try to force my opinion, though.

IcemanJRC
2010-09-12, 06:25 PM
You make characters without any idea of how they'll act?

Far from it, I just don't like writing. entries because it's often difficult for me to write out my plan for their personality and the finer points usually develop on their own.

Ponderthought
2010-09-12, 07:00 PM
I'll give some descriptions, just so others have an idea of what their dealing with.

Halcyon
Name: Halcyon
Species: Alien from Sigma Orionis
Description: Halcyon (Actual name unknown) is an alien expatriate from the Orionis A system, better known as a star in the constellation Orion. Few humans have seen what lies beneath his golden hued powersuit, as removing said suit would most likely result in the exile's death. The aliens motivations and actions are a mystery to the few that know of his existence, but mostly seem benign.
Abilities and Talents: Halcyon is known to posses a great deal of advanced alien technology, all integrated directly into his suit. He has also demonstrated an extreme aptitude for flight, regularly outmaneuvering pursuing aircraft. .

Levi Dryden
Name: Levi Dryden
Species: Genetically Mutated Human
Description: Levi Dryden is a large, ferocious looking man, with long brown hair, bright blue eyes and a perpetual smirk. He tends to favor functional rather than stylish clothing, and is most often seen wearing plain black t-shirts and worn blue jeans.
Abilities and Talents: Levi has a great deal of experience in dealing with the underworld, and knows how to make himself indispensable to whatever organization he happens to be working for. He also seems to have an uncanny knack for finding people who don't wish to be found. In addition, Levi possesses the unique ability to grow a sort of armored second skin that can render him nigh invulnerable to conventional arms, and endows him with superhuman strength.

Simon Lo
Name: Simon Lo
Species: Human (Awakened)
Description: Simon Lo is a man of average height and build, with short, tousled black hair. As a an agent of Vigil, he favors black trench coats, cheap black suits, and of course, black sunglasses. His Chinese heritage is slightly apparent in his facial features, but his mothers side comes through in his grey eyes.
Abilities and Talents: Simon is an excellent investigator, being very observant and quick witted, but his social skills could use abit of work. Simon is also an excellent marksman with small arms, and is dexterous enough to wield both his personal side arms at the same time. Other agents have attributed this skill to Simon's love of John Woo films.

Dorizzit
2010-09-12, 07:32 PM
Far from it, I just don't like writing. entries because it's often difficult for me to write out my plan for their personality and the finer points usually develop on their own.

Fair enough.

Chaotic Bob
2010-09-12, 07:45 PM
I feel silly for being the only person here to want a completely ordinary person.
From what I can tell.

Ragglefraggle.

Ponderthought
2010-09-12, 08:21 PM
Your not alone Bob, Simon is pretty normal. He despairs of all the weirdness he's forced to endure on a daily basis.

Rebonack
2010-09-12, 10:18 PM
Character bios are under way.

We can add a section to the opening post where they're cataloged.

Now that that is under way I think we should decide if we want some sort of event to open things up with. Any thoughts?

Ponderthought
2010-09-12, 10:30 PM
Hmm...events to start things off... are we going for the broad or the specific? We could have a massive storm come in off the ocean, or a slew of different little events like prominent politicians being arrested, the museum putting up a new exhibit on mysterious artifacts discovered in the area..

Rebonack
2010-09-12, 10:48 PM
Bank robbery by several supers. Outbreak of zombies in a department store that has to be contained. Some kind of event in Old Town, bicentennial fair maybe?

Do we want conflict of some kind?

Something casual?

Something mysterious?

Basically we need to figure out how the various players want to get their PCs into the action. As tame as that action may or may not end up being.

Kenyon
2010-09-12, 11:21 PM
Okay, let me try getting my characters into description form:

Drs. Gregory and Lila Claypool

Name: Dr. Gregory Claypool
Description: Dr. Claypool is a short, muscular man with black hair in a short, slicked back style, and sporting a full, trimmed beard. His manner of dress changes depending on the occasion, from full suit and tie for his "official" business, to a more casual bowling shirt, khaki pants and fedora for his "unofficial" business.
Abilities and Talents: Dr. Claypool is an expert on many ancient civilizations, with a major interest in the paranormal aspects of said civilizations. His physical capabilities are decidedly mortal, though he keeps himself in good shape to be able to keep up with his better half when they go about treasure hun-er, dealing in alternative business.

Name: Dr. Lila Claypool
Race: Human/Paranormal?
Description: In contrast to her husband, the other Dr. Claypool stands tall and lean. Society at large only sees her in one way, in a gray business suit, caked in heavy makeup, with long brown hair tied back into a ponytail. If one ever catches her out of her suit, she looks drastically different. Her skin is pale white, save black body art across her body in the shape of a skeleton, and gold around her eyes. Her real hair is much shorter, darker, almost wire-like. She typically wears a black tank top and black pants adorned with small skulls and crossbones.
Abilities and Talents: Like her husband, Lila's expertise is ancient civilizations. However, she is also the avatar of an ancient Aztec start demon, the Tzitzimitl (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tzitzimime). Not much is known about any powers this gives her, save superhuman strength and endurance.

Richard Schunke

Name: Richard Schunke
Race: Human (Unawakened)
Description: Richard is slightly taller man of light build, known in circles of his brilliant smile, which he flashes far too often for his own good. His blonde hair is tied back in a small ponytail, and has an untrimmed goatee. His clothing is slackerish at best, a raggedy t-shirt, blue jeans, and beanie.
Skills and Abilities: Richard has little going for himself short of a powerful radio voice, and his on-again/off-again charisma.

Terumitsu
2010-09-12, 11:41 PM
Ah yes, Time to post a small list of characters/ideas.

As for the whole Chinatown thing. Suppose we call it the Underworld? That is to say, it has no specific tie to a physical place but there are locations around the city that are definitely more seedy than others?

Also, I'm going to do something nifty later on. That nifty thing is that I will be posting a race of aliens that others may pick up and play with if they so choose. Some input on the idea of races or groups that can be picked out and played with at whim would be nice, though.

As for what to give this all a good kick... How about a particularly nasty costal storm? It's not terribly distructive but say it came up rather suddenly as to force some out and about characters to take refuge in some place or other. Like in this character's bar here:

Jackson Charnel AKA any number of skeleton nicknames.
Species: Human (Skeleton) (Paranormal)
Occupation: Owner of The Trom-Bone, a terribly named jazz bar open for the undead and other unnatural things. Some normals come in too but very few stay as it's a 'wierd place.' Those that do are either 'awake' or don't care about the stange vibes and just enjoy the music.
Physical description: To normal folk, he looks like a rather pale and gaunt man of undiscernable age with deep set, brown eyes and a wry, toothy grin. Otherwise, he looks like a human skeleton of roughly average human height. He likes suits, vests, and nice shirts and tends to wear them as a preference. He also smokes like a chimney and a cigar is almost always apart of his ensemble.
Unique abilities or talents:To normal folk, he has this unpleasent habit of turning up where he isn't wanted or at least shouldn't be.

To the paranormal, he has the ability known as the 'Skeleton Key' which allows him to open most physical locks. Basically, if he can touch the lock, he can undo it. Electronic locks are a bit of a bugger, though, as their source is often away from the door, depending on the type.

He can also play a mean trumpet.

*Untranslatable. No English Analogue Avalible*
Species: Dwenic (Xeno)
Physical description: The full description will be average for their race. Said description of race will be posted later. Defining characteristics of height, eyecolor, and photoelectric pattern are as follows: Roughly 5'10''. Amber. Stripes starting at the edges of the eyes to trail along the back as if painted there by a wide, even brush.
Unique abilities or talents: Shall be included in the aformentioned description. Additional note: Shows greater than average ability at electrical manipulation for their race.

That one leaves a lot in the dark... At least for now. If we go with the storm rout, they'll be found near an area where lightning struck several times.... Yay introductions!

Edmund Raslavvik
Species: Human (Super, Unknown Cause)
Physical description: A tall man in his middle thirties, Edmund keeps his black hair slicked back and neatly combed and his beard closely trimmed. He has a knowing look to his blue eyes and seems to have a great preference to vests worn over pressed, white, collared shirts. Some of his selections do make him look like a stylish waiter in a classy restaraunt than a president, though.
Unique abilities or talents: Edmund has the power of Foresight. This allows him to view what has a probability of happening within a certain timeframe. There is plenty more on this particular ability but it is best kept secret.... However, it could be noted that it has vastly helped him and his company in gathering so many products and patents so quickly (Relatively).

Anton Michalson
Species: Human (Normal)
Occupation: Electronics shop worker (Works at The Silicone Shanty), Online college student
Physical description: Brown haired, green eyed, and of average build, this twenty-something often has only a mildly unkept look to him than what would be expected. He prefers loose denim or khakies and t-shirts when it is warm. Often, the shirts have something witty or silly on them.
Unique abilities or talents: Anton has a knack for taking things apart without breaking the components. He sometimes has a harder time of putting them all back together but he manages. He is adaptable when it comes to technology and he likes to think that he can get anything to work if he can mess with it for an hour or so.

Ponderthought
2010-09-13, 12:24 AM
Ive struck upon an idea for our kick off event: A torrential rainstorm has been pounding the city for days, and it dosent show any signs of letting up. At first, the downpour was only an inconvenience, but the water is beginning to rise, and the supernatural elements in town are feeling a strange sort of foreboding. Combined with the recent trouble at the Old Town psychiatric hospital...

Note: I never meant to make Chinatown sound like an underworld hub, I just meant to imply that it's isolated from the rest of the community. Chinatown handles it's own problems...

Rebonack
2010-09-13, 09:23 AM
Sounds suitably mysterious and foreboding. Would provide a good opportunity to get some of the various PCs investigating some strange happenings.

Any other thoughts on the matter?

Mina Kobold
2010-09-13, 11:34 AM
Pixie time!

Lewis Wyllt
Species: Pixie
Physical description: At a small height for a human, Lewis looks like your average twenty-something youngster with blond hair, greenish eyes and always wearing a green scarf and aviation goggles with the rest of his clothes varying.
To the awakened eye he also sports a pair of transparent insect-like wings, pointy ears and translucent green eyes
Unique abilities or talents: While shared by other pixies, Lewis does posses abilities of extraordinary nature.
He posses minor magic that allow him to charm the mind and heart of mortals to a limited degree and to communicate with forest dwelling creatures.
He is able to bless the land and items near him improving them in minor ways, be it fixing a computer with Window's Blue Screen, purifying air or just negating bad luck.
As a pixie he also posses an expanded lifespan putting his birth somewhere in edieval times.
He of course posses the ability to fly.

I hope his age isn't a problem, it was actually specified in the Wikipedia article as a trait of pixies (A poem about them stating that they paid as much sorrow to dead human friends as to a wiltered flower)

I think the rainstorm idea is good, sounds like a good starting point :smallsmile:

Kenyon
2010-09-13, 12:17 PM
Putting another vote in for the rainy opening. And if anyone wanted to shoehorn in that "ancient artifact" bit in, that'd be perfect for the Claypools.

Terumitsu
2010-09-13, 02:14 PM
You know, with the rate that this is going, we're gonna have a shoe-in variant of the phrase "It was a dark and stormy night"

Not that it would be a bad thing. But a very silly one at least.

ApeofLight
2010-09-13, 02:48 PM
Yeah, I think maybe an artifact or several artifacts or other things causing the rainstorm would be a good idea.

Rebonack
2010-09-13, 03:06 PM
Actually it was a dark and stormy early morning, just to subvert the trope =P

Age shouldn't be a problem Kev, looks good.

So for our storm season opening, we want some potential connection with a recently opened exhibit at the Museum of History. We know that it's upsetting the people at the mental institute. We know that Awakened are getting a strange, nebulous sense of dread. Normal folks have been irritable, violent crime has been up which is keeping the police on their toes.

Any other foreboding foreshadowings to add to the list?

Kenyon
2010-09-13, 03:22 PM
And those damned cows outside of town keep turning themselves inside out!

Dorizzit
2010-09-13, 03:27 PM
On the subject of the rainstorm: I like it.

In other news, whee, characters.

Name: Richard "Rich" Bolden
Personality: When not off chasing shadows, Richard is normally a friendly, jovial sort, quick to laugh and trying hard to be friendly with everyone. On the hunt, Richard is completely different, becoming disciplined and totally focused on his target. He only goes after beings he thinks present a threat, however, unlike some of his more fanatic colleagues.
Physical description: Richard is a tall, heavily muscled man, with dark brown, almost black, skin and a hard face. He dresses in durable, practical clothing, usually colored darker tones. He has short brown hair, which he usually keeps covered with a black bandanna. A number of small scars can be seen around his body, but nothing incredibly distinctive. When fighting, he wears a sword on his left hip and one on his back, as well as wearing two gauntlets of darkened steel.
Unique abilities or talents: Richard has been trained as a Shadow Chaser, although he has only mastered a few lower level abilities. Because of this, he can detect beings of "shadow." This category covers most Fables and some Paranormals and Supers. He also slightly resists harm dealt to him by these sources. He is a skilled fighter by human standards, with both swords and his bare hands. Finally, Richard is a rather good mechanic.

Name: The Wolf
Species: Guardian Spirit (Wolf)
Personality: The Wolf is a Guardian Spirit, a counter-balance to malevolent spiritual entities. It exists to fight destructive beings and defend those who cannot do so themselves. It also serves as a teacher, and in most cases would rather allow people to solve their own problems when they can. It is often distant and abrupt when interacting with others.
Physical description: The Wolf is capable of altering its shape, and frequently does so. In its base form, it appears as a large wolf, entirely white in color. It also softly glows white and gold. Its eyes are a brilliant crimson color, with no whites or pupils. It is very clearly not a normal being from its appearance and the way it moves. It is also capable of assuming the form of a normal wolf, of varying size and appearance. If it truly desires, it can also appear as a large, wolf-like dog, but it dislikes doing so.
Unique abilities or talents: The Wolf has immense physical strength and endurance, capable of giving and receiving horrific amounts of damage. It is also extraordinarily fast and agile on its feet. The Wolf heals wounds very rapidly. It can change its shape, as outlined above. As a personification, the Wolf cannot be destroyed through most methods; fatal injuries merely cause it to disband for a time (anywhere between a few weeks to a few months), before returning. By reverting itself to a purely spiritual form, the Wolf can travel enormous distances very quickly, but this has little precision and can leave it up to a mile from its intended destination. It can alter its size, and is the size of a school bus at its largest. It can also track other beings, either by scent or by leftover magical, psychic, or emotional trails. The Wolf can exert mental control over terrestrial wolves within one mile, or summon lesser wolf spirits to assist it. One drawback to the Wolf's powers is that it cannot use more power than it deems necessary against any opponent; once it feels it has determined the minimum amount of its power needed, it is unable to use any more than that.

Name: Yeti
Species: Yeti
Personality: Very little is known about Yetis, and sightings of them are extremely rare even among the more aware inhabitants of the world. It is not even known whether or not they are sentient, let alone what kind of personality they might have.
Physical description: The Yeti is a massive beast, standing more than ten feet tall and more than half as wide. It has a similar body structure to some apes, with massive, heavily muscled arms and short but powerful legs, both ending in large, powerful claws. Its whole body, with the exception of its palms, fingers, and its feet is covered with a thick coat of smooth white hair. Large, needle-like fangs fill its mouth, and a pair of horns not unlike a ram's curl from the side of its head. Its eyes are two slits, black with small, elongated white pupils.
Unique abilities or talents: The Yeti has monstrous physical strength and durability, and has seemingly limitless physical energy. It projects an aura of cold at all times; the air around it feels a few degrees colder. Over time, this can permanently affect an area through continuous exposure. The Yeti can release an icy breath from its mouth, freezing solid anything it hits. The Yeti can also create a supernaturally powerful blizzard for several seconds centering around itself. This ice storm is made more powerful in areas that are already cold or icy. Finally, while fighting, the Yeti slowly gains more physical power. Although it takes several minutes, once it reaches its peak it is virtually unstoppable.

Creed
2010-09-13, 04:00 PM
The dark and rainy mid-day caused by an ancient evil hidden in the bowels of a minimart museum gets my vote.
Especially since the normal folks are irritable and violent which means cash for Black Iron.:smalltongue:

Earl of Purple
2010-09-13, 04:23 PM
I also like the 'dark and stormy time of day', although I'm not fussed as to the exact time it is.

Character below!
Name: Hubert Fremlin
Species: Gremlin (fable)
Physical description: To Normals, he's an extremely short, bald man, with green eyes and grimy skin. He normally wears greasy blue overalls with the motif of a smiling red cartoon car and the words 'Harry's Car Clinic; Putting the Smile Back on Your Car!'. He also wears a name badge, which claims his name is Hubert Frelmin.
Unique abilities or talents: He has the ability to cause minor mechanical mishaps, usually nothing too dangerous beyond seriously annoying, but he can cause devices to become inoperable; if he concentrates hard enough, he can cause a single flaw which becomes known at a critical juncture. He's also good at fixing mechanical devices, even if his equipment is sub-par or occasionally non-existant. What do you think?

Beans
2010-09-13, 05:41 PM
Ms. Gettler.
Name: Ms. Gettler
Species: Eldritch Abomination
Occupation: Contact for (MIB-like group's name). Occasional photographer.
Physical description: A tallish, slender woman appearing to be in her mid-20s. She is somewhat pale of skin and her hair is Nondescript Brown. Her face is pleasant but rather lacking in expression. She wears a dark grey three-button suit, black tie, white shirt, black shoes. She wears mirrored sunglasses behind which there are no eyes.
Unique abilities or talents: Ms. Gettler has the ability to direct an electromagnetic field that interferes with electronics. That, and she can see without eyes.
She can also move quickly when not observed.

Terumitsu
2010-09-13, 06:41 PM
Another one for the list of forboding things would obviously be that the animals are all a bit fidgety and most of the 'wild' ones have high-tailed it for higher ground. That and there have been a large number of lightning strikes in the surrounding area. Because lightning strikes are always forboding!

Rebonack
2010-09-13, 06:54 PM
Weee! Things are looking good!

I'm guessing that Yeti and Mister Wolfy are both meant to be more of sideline characters of a sort as opposed to primary PCs? They both sound pretty powerful. And obviously they would have a bit of trouble interacting with average people.

"Mister... Yeti, is that right?"

*Chewbaca noise*

"Yes, your table is right this way, sir."

We've got PCs. We've got ideas for some starting events. It sounds like we're just about ready. Should we start up the IC thread tonight?

Dorizzit
2010-09-13, 07:07 PM
Yeti...was conceived because of an in-joke in my circle of friends, and has been developing from there. Suffice to say, he(?) will not be making too many appearances.

Wolf...well, we'll see what happens. He is certainly quite powerful, but I've tried to write him in such a way that he can participate in events without overshadowing anyone.

And I'm all for getting this party on the road.

Creed
2010-09-13, 07:33 PM
Weee! Things are looking good!

I'm guessing that Yeti and Mister Wolfy are both meant to be more of sideline characters of a sort as opposed to primary PCs? They both sound pretty powerful. And obviously they would have a bit of trouble interacting with average people.

"Mister... Yeti, is that right?"

*Chewbaca noise*

"Yes, your table is right this way, sir."

We've got PCs. We've got ideas for some starting events. It sounds like we're just about ready. Should we start up the IC thread tonight?

Let's blow this rasberry cart.
Creed, your not clever. You try to say something witty and it just comes out as a mixed metaphor. Keep dreaming.
I will keep dreaming! And when I wake up, you better hope you're still asleep, inner voices! Sleep tight, buttercup!
Wannabe.
This man and his obscure movie references, along with this obscure internet reference, may have saved us all.

Ponderthought
2010-09-13, 07:47 PM
Yes, yes, let it begin.

McBish
2010-09-13, 08:08 PM
Wilmer Lambert
Physical description: A big man standing around 6'4" and 270 pounds. He wears a thick beard neatly trimmed. He looks a lot more like a biker then a soap maker, though he always smells very nice.
Unique abilities or talents: Wil is a small time mage and potion maker. Though he mixes his potions into the soaps that he makes. None of his magics are big and flashy but they can be helpful every now and then. Also he knows how to handle him self in a fight, though most of the time he tries to intimidate his way out of problem.

Rebonack
2010-09-13, 08:12 PM
I would be intimidated by a huge, burly man that smells faintly of lavender.

*ahem*

Alright.

There's one of two ways we can go about this.

Either one of us just writes up the open post and sticks it up.

Or anyone who's interested takes a crack at it and we post 'em here. Use what we like.

Dorizzit
2010-09-13, 08:51 PM
Either way works for me.

ApeofLight
2010-09-13, 09:33 PM
Michael Smith

Description: A man in about his late twenties early thirties, he has light brown scruffly straight hair and wears rectangular glasses. Usually is wearing a button up shirt and either a pair of jeans or slacks. Is pretty scrawny and is about 5' 11" in height.
Unique Abilities or Talents: Has a large and vast knowledge pertaining to myths and legends of the past and present. Is considered one of the foremost experts in Myth and Legend. Although him coming out and saying he believes that some of these myths and legends are perhaps true in one form or another, say that there actually where magicians that could throw fireballs, have labeled him a bit of a nut job by most in his field.

Rebonack
2010-09-13, 09:59 PM
Well, I 'spose I'll start with an entry all my own. Maybe focus on one single district, try to set the mood.

*ahem*

It's been raining for a long time now.

The days and nights just run together with a sky so perpetually dark. They flow. Out across the sea and into the city, across the roofs and down the gutters. Into the sewers and off to gods knows where. Day to night and night to day in a city that never sleeps. No sunlight worth mentioning. Not a star in the sky. Only bleak gray clouds and harsh electric glow.

Taxis sloshing through the flooded intersections here in Oldtown, pedestrians huddling behind umbrellas to avoid the spray. You might think we have a few rivers for roads. An errant splash and a ruined suit and tempers rise. There have been lots of rising tempers of late. The dreary weather is starting to sog up our souls just as it has our city. Faces as cold as the wind.

A banner hangs limp across the Museum of History, proclaiming to all the awe and wonder to be found in the new Mesopotamian exhibit. There aren't many here that have been feeling much wonder, let alone awe. The wind has been tugging at it, leaving it tattered and worn. You might think it a relic of bygone decades from its state. But inside... inside all is clean and dry and dark, only the patter of rain and the click-clack of footsteps in the shadows break the silence.

And the hum.

The hum of an incessantly flickering florescent lamp. It's been changed five times now, but it has yet to help. Must be the wiring they say. And so too does the room flicker, casting dreadful shapes in the darkness. Statues and fetishes and old urns once forgotten by time. Somethings to that would have best been left forgotten. The grotesque idol sits atop the pedestal below a protective shroud of glass and motion-detectors. From its throne it leers out across its dark little domain, a squat demon of jet hued jade.

There it waits.

And it leads one to wonder-

-why?

The Bushranger
2010-09-13, 10:47 PM
Quick character concept...

Quincy Adamson
Name: Quincy Adamson
Description: <tbd>
Abilities and Talents: Quincy has a magic saber, that has been passed down through his family for generrations. When he wields it, he becomes much more agile and athletic, his speed increasing as well.

Terumitsu
2010-09-13, 10:50 PM
Well, here's a little ditty to get started with, I suppose...

I do dark and horrific well but let's see if I can just hit 'gloomy' instead. That means less eldrich abominations out to devour your measly body to digest for a thousand years, yes?

Here, civic funding seems to have hit a low point. Spiderweb cracks on the pavement where dying grass peaks through, rough grey pavement with it's network of tar-filled crevices... Even the lamps come on at night in flickering spurts to briefly shine their weak, yellow light before drifting back into hazy darkness. Here, the wind whistles past the doorframes with a cold wailing and the cozy noises inside come out warped, faded. The laughter just behind inside those walls drifts through to feel like a memory not quite forgotten in a place that seems to be all but left to the doldrums.

Where the houses end and the market begins, neon lights glare harshly through the gloom as some declare themselves to be OP_N at best while others just show brief signs of life before descending back into a slumber. A few 'celler stores' with their steps leading down off the street seem to be a slow decent into the very relm of shadows from which return is a question asked by ony the most hopeful. During the day, the smoke from the industrial sector clouds this part of Newport in an almost eternal grey, muted, fog. Even the streets here have only the occasional sign of traffic, pedestrian and otherwise and every thrid shop's front holds outdated merchandice covered with varying degrees of cobwebs as if the owner simply got up and left and never bothering to hang up the 'CLOSED' sign. Each one of these small stores sitting like a discarded skin of a snake or spider, holding things now old and rusting from a bygone age, their tarnished signs echoing sharp squeeks as they sway in the gentle breeze.

These are the lanes less traveled to some yet those most familiar..... To Others...

Rebonack
2010-09-13, 10:55 PM
Oooh, looks like it might make for a good description of Curtistown, Teru. I likes it.

'n your concept is a little bare-bones at the moment BR, but I think that's the idea right? I'm curious to find out what kind of motivations and hopes and dreams and fears your swashbuckling cashier might harbor.

The Bushranger
2010-09-13, 11:01 PM
Indeed. I'm too tired to come up with details at the moment. :smalltongue: Those will come tomorrow, as will a tektek.

Mina Kobold
2010-09-14, 01:41 AM
On the subject of the rainstorm: I like it.

In other news, whee, characters.

Name: Richard "Rich" Bolden
Personality: When not off chasing shadows, Richard is normally a friendly, jovial sort, quick to laugh and trying hard to be friendly with everyone. On the hunt, Richard is completely different, becoming disciplined and totally focused on his target. He only goes after beings he thinks present a threat, however, unlike some of his more fanatic colleagues.
Physical description: Richard is a tall, heavily muscled man, with dark brown, almost black, skin and a hard face. He dresses in durable, practical clothing, usually colored darker tones. He has short brown hair, which he usually keeps covered with a black bandanna. A number of small scars can be seen around his body, but nothing incredibly distinctive. When fighting, he wears a sword on his left hip and one on his back, as well as wearing two gauntlets of darkened steel.
Unique abilities or talents: Richard has been trained as a Shadow Chaser, although he has only mastered a few lower level abilities. Because of this, he can detect beings of "shadow." This category covers most Fables and some Paranormals and Supers. He also slightly resists harm dealt to him by these sources. He is a skilled fighter by human standards, with both swords and his bare hands. Finally, Richard is a rather good mechanic.

Name: The Wolf
Species: Guardian Spirit (Wolf)
Personality: The Wolf is a Guardian Spirit, a counter-balance to malevolent spiritual entities. It exists to fight destructive beings and defend those who cannot do so themselves. It also serves as a teacher, and in most cases would rather allow people to solve their own problems when they can. It is often distant and abrupt when interacting with others.
Physical description: The Wolf is capable of altering its shape, and frequently does so. In its base form, it appears as a large wolf, entirely white in color. It also softly glows white and gold. Its eyes are a brilliant crimson color, with no whites or pupils. It is very clearly not a normal being from its appearance and the way it moves. It is also capable of assuming the form of a normal wolf, of varying size and appearance. If it truly desires, it can also appear as a large, wolf-like dog, but it dislikes doing so.
Unique abilities or talents: The Wolf has immense physical strength and endurance, capable of giving and receiving horrific amounts of damage. It is also extraordinarily fast and agile on its feet. The Wolf heals wounds very rapidly. It can change its shape, as outlined above. As a personification, the Wolf cannot be destroyed through most methods; fatal injuries merely cause it to disband for a time (anywhere between a few weeks to a few months), before returning. By reverting itself to a purely spiritual form, the Wolf can travel enormous distances very quickly, but this has little precision and can leave it up to a mile from its intended destination. It can alter its size, and is the size of a school bus at its largest. It can also track other beings, either by scent or by leftover magical, psychic, or emotional trails. The Wolf can exert mental control over terrestrial wolves within one mile, or summon lesser wolf spirits to assist it. One drawback to the Wolf's powers is that it cannot use more power than it deems necessary against any opponent; once it feels it has determined the minimum amount of its power needed, it is unable to use any more than that.

Name: Yeti
Species: Yeti
Personality: Very little is known about Yetis, and sightings of them are extremely rare even among the more aware inhabitants of the world. It is not even known whether or not they are sentient, let alone what kind of personality they might have.
Physical description: The Yeti is a massive beast, standing more than ten feet tall and more than half as wide. It has a similar body structure to some apes, with massive, heavily muscled arms and short but powerful legs, both ending in large, powerful claws. Its whole body, with the exception of its palms, fingers, and its feet is covered with a thick coat of smooth white hair. Large, needle-like fangs fill its mouth, and a pair of horns not unlike a ram's curl from the side of its head. Its eyes are two slits, black with small, elongated white pupils.
Unique abilities or talents: The Yeti has monstrous physical strength and durability, and has seemingly limitless physical energy. It projects an aura of cold at all times; the air around it feels a few degrees colder. Over time, this can permanently affect an area through continuous exposure. The Yeti can release an icy breath from its mouth, freezing solid anything it hits. The Yeti can also create a supernaturally powerful blizzard for several seconds centering around itself. This ice storm is made more powerful in areas that are already cold or icy. Finally, while fighting, the Yeti slowly gains more physical power. Although it takes several minutes, once it reaches its peak it is virtually unstoppable.

Squee! Thatwolf reminds me of Reynardine :3

Well, I 'spose I'll start with an entry all my own. Maybe focus on one single district, try to set the mood.

*ahem*

The days and nights just run together with a sky so perpetually dark. They flow. Out across the sea and into the city, across the roofs and down the gutters. Into the sewers and off to gods knows where. Day to night and night to day in a city that never sleeps. No sunlight worth mentioning. Not a star in the sky. Only bleak gray clouds and harsh electric glow.

Taxis sloshing through the flooded intersections here in Oldtown, pedestrians huddling behind umbrellas to avoid the spray. You might think we have a few rivers for roads. An errant splash and a ruined suit and tempers rise. There have been lots of rising tempers of late. The dreary weather is starting to sog up our souls just as it has our city. Faces as cold as the wind.

A banner hangs limp across the Museum of History, proclaiming to all the awe and wonder to be found in the new Mesopotamian exhibit. There aren't many here that have been feeling much wonder, let alone awe. The wind has been tugging at it, leaving it tattered and worn. You might think it a relic of bygone decades from its state. But inside... inside all is clean and dry and dark, only the patter of rain and the click-clack of footsteps in the shadows break the silence.

And the hum.

The hum of an incessantly flickering florescent lamp. It's been changed five times now, but it has yet to help. Must be the wiring they say. And so too does the room flicker, casting dreadful shapes in the darkness. Statues and fetishes and old urns once forgotten by time. Somethings to that would have best been left forgotten. The grotesque idol sits atop the pedestal below a protective shroud of glass and motion-detectors. From its throne it leers out across its dark little domain, a squat demon of jet hued jade.

There it waits.

-why?

Magnificent *Applauds*

Well, here's a little ditty to get started with, I suppose...

I do dark and horrific well but let's see if I can just hit 'gloomy' instead. That means less eldrich abominations out to devour your measly body to digest for a thousand years, yes?

Here, civic funding seems to have hit a low point. Spiderweb cracks on the pavement where dying grass peaks through, rough grey pavement with it's network of tar-filled crevices... Even the lamps come on at night in flickering spurts to briefly shine their weak, yellow light before drifting back into hazy darkness. Here, the wind whistles past the doorframes with a cold wailing and the cozy noises inside come out warped, faded. The laughter just behind inside those walls drifts through to feel like a memory not quite forgotten in a place that seems to be all but left to the doldrums.

Where the houses end and the market begins, neon lights glare harshly through the gloom as some declare themselves to be OP_N at best while others just show brief signs of life before descending back into a slumber. A few 'celler stores' with their steps leading down off the street seem to be a slow decent into the very relm of shadows from which return is a question asked by ony the most hopeful. During the day, the smoke from the industrial sector clouds this part of Newport in an almost eternal grey, muted, fog. Even the streets here have only the occasional sign of traffic, pedestrian and otherwise and every thrid shop's front holds outdated merchandice covered with varying degrees of cobwebs as if the owner simply got up and left and never bothering to hang up the 'CLOSED' sign. Each one of these small stores sitting like a discarded skin of a snake or spider, holding things now old and rusting from a bygone age, their tarnished signs echoing sharp squeeks as they sway in the gentle breeze.

These are the lanes less traveled to some yet those most familiar..... To Others...

Also magnificent :smallbiggrin:

Ponderthought
2010-09-14, 02:25 AM
Squee! Thatwolf reminds me of Reynardine :3

"The call of the fox is a thing of majesty"

Dorizzit
2010-09-14, 06:25 AM

*ahem*

And the hum.

There it waits.

-why?

Yes. I like it.

Rebonack
2010-09-14, 09:09 AM
Yay, glad for the positive feedback.

My earlier post was meant to be a description for Oldtown. Teru's would probably work well enough for Curtistown. I figure that the opening post can be broken up with a description setting the mood of each.

I'll probably make the opening post this afternoon. New descriptions of the other parts of Northport can be added in as we make them. 's time to get this show on the road!

Terumitsu
2010-09-14, 11:29 AM
I was listening to "Hey Pachuco" (http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86qiLfm8_CQ&feature=related) by the Royal Crown Revue and was inspired to write something fancy for Mercury City between classes here. Now that I listen to it again, though, it would be an awesome theme to rob a bank to....

Anyway, here we go!

The quick-tempo slap of feet on concrete creates a smooth backbeat in which this glitzy, gaudy, and glamorous section of city revels in. The glimmering chrome and art deco from long past still holds its charms and many a resident of Newport says that it only gets better with age. Restaraunts with their doors thrown open waft scents, some saucy and some sweet, in hopes of enticing anyone off the street to come in and 'tickle the ivories.'

And what is dinner without a show? Big bands with their brass and bass, polished to a mirror finish, tap out a thumping theme while sultry singers soothingly serenade their listeners' souls from the stage. For those with tastes more refined, a theater house one might find illuminated with bright lights, their names blaired into the night like a crisp clean note from a silver trumpet with neon signs. Be it a stage show or a super-sized silver screen, each is sure to please. For those inclined for a more active role in their entertainment, look no further than the classy clubs dotting the street. Each has its own flavor from old-style sit-down speakeasy to the photoelectric post-modern in which to dance the night away.

Mercury City is the heartbeat of Newport from dusk to dawn to dusk again and there is never a last call.

Ponderthought
2010-09-14, 02:07 PM
I figured I might get into this "Actually describe the city" trend..

Thousands of people work in the Harbor District, yet it still seems empty, like some long forgotten ruin. The air is clammy and thick in this place, where the smoking by-products of industry blend into the endless mackerel sky. Abandoned factories yawn like monsters of concrete and rusting metal, while squat, grey production facilities operate like guarded compounds, walled away from some unseen enemy. Further out, one can hear the lonely calls of hunting sea-birds and see the harsh glow of the northern Atlantic. Most people avoid the Harbor District..people simply feel, unwelcome, as if they were in someone elses home without their permission. It's a hard feeling to define, and most would simply rather avoid it...

Rebonack
2010-09-14, 03:29 PM
ZOMG, IC thread is up!

New detailed descriptions of districts will be added as we make them. Feel free to jump in! I probably won't post IC for a few hours yet, I'm on break right now =3

McBish
2010-09-14, 05:30 PM
I just had a strong urge to write up a park that is warm and happy, with pretty flowers and rainbows.

IcemanJRC
2010-09-14, 05:39 PM
Name: Art Foster
Species: Puca (Shapeshifter)
Physical description: Being a shapeshifter, Art can take a myriad of forms, however, being a Puca in modern society he will often take on one of two forms. The standard of all Pucas, a sleek black horse, it's mane grown out long and it's eyes a phosphorus yellow. The horse is of a strong build and it's eyes are filled with a wild joy. He also enjoys taking the form of a young man: of average height, messy black hair grown out and put into a ponytail, the same bright yellow eyes and pale skin. This form is incredibly thin and bony.
Unique abilities or talents: Shapeshifting of course, which provides a myriad of abilities unique to his form. He's a little slow, so he'll usually not think to use it all the time, but when he does think he can usually make his abilities work to his advantage.

I hope this is sufficient, I'm trying to improve my writing.

Rebonack
2010-09-14, 06:46 PM
I just had a strong urge to write up a park that is warm and happy, with pretty flowers and rainbows.

But... But the depressing rain!

We'll probably get happy weather eventually. But right now not so much.

And the horse looks nifty!

I'll do my IC post now that I'm off work. Weeee!

Terry576
2010-09-14, 08:31 PM
REH???? We started????

Screw it, character sheet.

Lightning

Appearance: Lightning is of an above average height, and pretty skinny. His features would be described as "handsome", and are quite aquiline. He usually wears a green shirt and jeans. He has electric blue eyes, and brown messy hair. He also has a scar across one eye.
http://i876.photobucket.com/albums/ab324/Terry576/OoTS/Lightning.png
Background: It's a MYSTERY! (NOT LAZY. NOPE.)

Ability: Soul Shock. It's quite strange really. Lightning can manipulate electricity to his will, making him quite powerful if he puts his mind to it.

Athea

Appearance: Athea has red hair, and managed to pull off the "Sexy redhead" look. She wears a pair of glasses at all times, and a very short skirt, as well as a black band shirt with a red tie on it. Although it's very well hidden, she has a tail.
Background: Summoned by a magician, seduced by magic, and trapped.
Abilities: Seduction She can manipulate emotions very easily, usually through use of something like The Voice, from Dune.

And that's all for now.

Beans
2010-09-14, 08:38 PM
Part of me wants to make a second character to better enjoy this RP...

Perhaps I may delve into Gaelic mythology. I remember (but cannot find in my house! Oh horrors!) with much fondness the book The Hounds of the Morrigan, and in particular I remember the character who was an analogue for the goddess Macha, Queen of Phantoms. Notable in her appearance was her blue hair, which amused me.

Terry576
2010-09-14, 08:45 PM
New character.

Beans
2010-09-14, 08:48 PM
New character.

I'm feeling all warm inside! Memories!

Anyone who likes Celtic myth should look for Hounds of the Morrigan, by the way.

Terry576
2010-09-14, 08:51 PM
I'm feeling all warm inside! Memories!

Anyone who likes Celtic myth should look for Hounds of the Morrigan, by the way.

Pshhh. I got Celtic myth off of Lost Years of Merlin.

And then Tree of Avalon.
:smallredface:

Beans
2010-09-14, 09:08 PM
Mackie O'Shea
Name: Margaret "Mackie" O'Shea
Species: Partial Phantom (paranormal)
Physical description: Mackie looks about 17; she is scrawny and not very tall. Pale-skinned and green-eyed, her hair would be black if not for errant streaks and strokes of dark blue (most people think it to be dye). Her eyes are always darting and observing and wishing things would go away.
She wears a long navy peacoat of wool felt; this coat is patched and repaired and looks as if it has been thrown against things with its owner wearing it. Aside from that, she has two layers of jeans, a dull plaid flannel shirt, and worn boots.
Unique abilities or talents: Mackie can briefly render herself intangible. In this state, she is also translucent.
She can also hide rather well in shadows.

Comments are encouraged.

Kenyon
2010-09-14, 11:13 PM
Okay, Richard and his show have officially been established in Northport. I'd like to try something if anyone's willing to participate: If anyone wants to 'call' into the show, either as their character or a random foil hat wearer, for plot, lulz, whatever, PM me so we can see how to arrange it.

Rebonack
2010-09-14, 11:37 PM
I can totally have Eli serve as a frequent caller with respect to ghostly activities going on around the city, Kenyon.

Also, on the subject of the idol at the museum I can think of several ways that we can go with the thing.

1) It gets destroyed, resulting in bad things.

2) It gets stolen by deranged cultists, resulting in bad things.

3) It remains where it is and eventually possesses some random tourist, resulting in bad things.

What flavor of bad things would you all enjoy most?

Kenyon
2010-09-14, 11:39 PM
Well, I was going to have the Claypools try to sneak in and borrow the idol for a bit. #2 would be a very awkward, if awesome, situation.

Terumitsu
2010-09-15, 12:16 AM
How about some Cultists break in and take it so they can later break it as sacrifice to some random god but one of them gets possessed by it in the meantime?

All three! Yeah!

Dorizzit
2010-09-15, 05:47 AM
I like number 2 or Terumitsu's suggestion.

Rebonack
2010-09-15, 09:18 AM
You're silly Teru =P

It sounds like we want to let Kenyon's PC get a hold of it and then the cultists can nab it at a later point.

Mina Kobold
2010-09-15, 09:18 AM
How about some Cultists break in and take it so they can later break it as sacrifice to some random god but one of them gets possessed by it in the meantime?

All three! Yeah!

This gets my vote, makes for a longer plot and plenty of subplot opportunities :smallsmile:

Ponderthought
2010-09-15, 10:28 PM
Ah, I should post more, but my brains all "margrarlbe ponder tired."

Kenyon
2010-09-15, 10:58 PM
Join the club.

Mina Kobold
2010-09-16, 11:24 AM
Ah, I should post more, but my brains all "margrarlbe ponder tired."

You mean it's not supposed to? :smalltongue:

Also, knew that blessing-everything-around-you magic would come in handy.

cho_j
2010-09-16, 11:04 PM
I'd like to join up! This is my first FFRP (actually, it's like the second thing I've ever done on GiTP...), so here's a character idea, and I'd be open to suggestions on how to make her better.

Mirna Reidstone is a brutally honest, rather absent-minded bookstore owner. She's also a European-style dragon in human form. She's very much a pacifist, and fairly personable, but she does have the capability to breathe fire and perform some unpleasant spells. She's only about 150 (23ish in human appearance), so she's not that powerful. She's also a little bit of a kleptomaniac, seeing as she really, really, really likes treasure.

ApeofLight
2010-09-16, 11:25 PM
Kenyon I sort of want to take up that offer of calling into the radio show with Mr. Professor Dr. Michael Smith about the idol, I'll send you a PM.

And cho_j, what kind of dragon? European dragon only says so much. Is it a DnD like dragon that is color coded for our convince? If not then what kind of dragon is she? Physical description? Other personality quirks?

cho_j
2010-09-16, 11:46 PM
And cho_j, what kind of dragon? European dragon only says so much. Is it a DnD like dragon that is color coded for our convince? If not then what kind of dragon is she? Physical description? Other personality quirks?

Actually, I've never played DnD. >.< By European style, I meant to distinguish her from dragons from lore from Asia, in which dragons are, from what I've heard/read, wise, benevolent beings. Mirna's type of dragon is of hte intelligent but ferocious sort. In her dragon form, she's roughly 20 feet from the tip of her snout to the tip of her tail, walks on all fours, has very large wings, and sharp talons and teeth. To borrow a picture from the internet: http://www.jewcy.com/files/dragon.jpg more or less looks like her dad. As a female, she'd be a little less horny on the jaw and neck, and her top horns are curlier, more like a ram's.

In her human form, Mirna is almost 5'4", with dark curly hair and olive skin tone. Her hazel eyes are a little bigger than average, and they gleam in low light in a distinctly inhuman way. She has vision-correcting glasses.

I'm not quite sure by what you meant by "other personality quirks." I think I gave a pretty good shorthand description of her personality. I'm not sure of how in-depth you want me to go; if she starts interacting with other characters, her idiosyncrasies will surface pretty quickly.

To clarify what I said before though, Mirna's not great at people, but she's nice. About half the time she's more in her own head than in the moment, especially since she loves to read, and she owns a bookshop. She's the kind of shopkeep who can tell you about every single book you're interested in purchasing, and if you're a regular, she may even know a book you'd like better. However, she has the unfortunate tendency to speak before thinking; she'll often make completely honest but somewhat to totally rude remarks. In a way, her stealing just falls right into that pattern of cloud cuckoolanding: Mirna will see something shiny, and several hours later realize it's in her pocket. Whoops. Oh well, it's her shiny now.

Is that a better description?

-Cho

Ashen Lilies
2010-09-17, 10:22 AM
Characters characters characters.

Elizabeth Williams

Name: Elizabeth 'Eli' Williams
Physical description:

http://public5.tektek.org/img/av/1009/d16/0747/686e352.png (http://tektek.org/avatar/39647488)
A shortish young woman of 23, with grey eyes and blonde hair dyed pink. Despite her limited funds and the small size of her wardrobe, she somehow manages to look different every single day, even if she's wearing the exact same outfit, through subtle rearranging of her clothes. Her features are friendly, and she has an air of amiability, but there's a sort of closedness to her, and she tends to space out at times, as though listening to someone who isn't there.
Unique abilities or talents: None! Okay, she's a reasonably good painter/sketch artist/generally creative person. She also seems to have a really good memory. Not quite eidetic, but good.

Elijah Williams

Name: Elijah 'Eli' Williams
Species: Human Ghost (Paranormal)
Physical description:

http://public5.tektek.org/img/av/1009/d16/0851/9453923.png (http://tektek.org/avatar/39647826)
When he appears at all, Elijah takes the form of a young man with white skin, translucent and faded, as though not really there. Which he isn't. Technically, ghosts don't age, and should appear as the age they died, or the age they felt the most 'themselves' with. However, with a living relative, Elijah has been able to make himself age naturally at the same rate as his sister, appearing 25, two years her senior, as it was when he died.
Unique abilities or talents: Many and varied, and almost scarily so. He's able to, as you would expect from a ghost, turn invisible and intangible, or rather, he is invisible and intangible, and can force himself into visibility and tangibility. He's also possessed of the ability to manipulate the minds of others, to an extent, able to impart a small suggestion or break concentration, filling his enemy's head with fog. This control also extends into pain, and he can cause or nullify it in people and animals, though with some difficulties. However, his supernatural nature has also left him with a variety of limitations. For one, though he needs no real food, he must 'feed' every other week, consuming the essence of a person in order to sustain his own, though he can also feed more frequently, in smaller (and non-lethal) doses. He also cannot stray more than a kilometer from his sister; she is his focus in the mortal world, and leaving her side could have disastrous consequences. Finally, he cannot enter a place of active worship, or indeed, any sort of holy ground, and the sound of prayer or scripture or the touch of a holy symbol, spoken or presented with true faith, is inimical to his being.

Still working on a third, slightly more heroic (and perhaps sillier) one.

Mina Kobold
2010-09-17, 12:17 PM
Characters characters characters.

Elizabeth Williams

Name: Elizabeth 'Eli' Williams
Physical description:

http://public5.tektek.org/img/av/1009/d16/0747/686e352.png (http://tektek.org/avatar/39647488)
A shortish young woman of 23, with grey eyes and blonde hair dyed pink. Despite her limited funds and the small size of her wardrobe, she somehow manages to look different every single day, even if she's wearing the exact same outfit, through subtle rearranging of her clothes. Her features are friendly, and she has an air of amiability, but there's a sort of closedness to her, and she tends to space out at times, as though listening to someone who isn't there.
Unique abilities or talents: None! Okay, she's a reasonably good painter/sketch artist/generally creative person. She also seems to have a really good memory. Not quite eidetic, but good.

Elijah Williams

Name: Elijah 'Eli' Williams
Species: Human Ghost (Paranormal)
Physical description:

http://public5.tektek.org/img/av/1009/d16/0851/9453923.png (http://tektek.org/avatar/39647826)
When he appears at all, Elijah takes the form of a young man with white skin, translucent and faded, as though not really there. Which he isn't. Technically, ghosts don't age, and should appear as the age they died, or the age they felt the most 'themselves' with. However, with a living relative, Elijah has been able to make himself age naturally at the same rate as his sister, appearing 25, two years her senior, as it was when he died.
Unique abilities or talents: Many and varied, and almost scarily so. He's able to, as you would expect from a ghost, turn invisible and intangible, or rather, he is invisible and intangible, and can force himself into visibility and tangibility. He's also possessed of the ability to manipulate the minds of others, to an extent, able to impart a small suggestion or break concentration, filling his enemy's head with fog. This control also extends into pain, and he can cause or nullify it in people and animals, though with some difficulties. However, his supernatural nature has also left him with a variety of limitations. For one, though he needs no real food, he must 'feed' every other week, consuming the essence of a person in order to sustain his own, though he can also feed more frequently, in smaller (and non-lethal) doses. He also cannot stray more than a kilometer from his sister; she is his focus in the mortal world, and leaving her side could have disastrous consequences. Finally, he cannot enter a place of active worship, or indeed, any sort of holy ground, and the sound of prayer or scripture or the touch of a holy symbol, spoken or presented with true faith, is inimical to his being.

Still working on a third, slightly more heroic (and perhaps sillier) one.

Looks good, Kid Kris :smallsmile:

Pink hair's always a good sign :smalltongue:

So there was a skeleton chatting with me and this pixie with a thing for 70s slang. Zombies providing live music. I think there was one of those generic 'grey' aliens in there somewhere too.

Is it bad that I didn't notice he was using seventies slang until I read this?

Korui Kage
2010-09-18, 10:57 AM
Hello everyone I am (obviously) a new member of the boards. I have been role playing for about 7 years pen and paper style, and online in various formats for 2 years. I have forum FFRP and normal PBP style. I hope to join a few games and have fun with everyone. Are there any games that are currently looking for some new blood? And are there any that are currently looking to not expand?

Just dropping this on all the OoC threads.

Mina Kobold
2010-09-21, 11:43 AM
Just dropping this on all the OoC threads.

I'm pretty sure we are always accepting :smallsmile:

Chas the mage
2010-09-21, 10:15 PM
I express interest!

Mina Kobold
2010-09-26, 04:27 AM
I express interest!

Welcome! Post a sheet for your character, have us mercilessly criticise it and you're in :smallbiggrin:¨

By the way, is there a limit to the amount of characters we can have? It's getting kind of boring to wait for The Trombone to gain activity.

Terumitsu
2010-09-26, 04:58 AM
Dear gods why am I up this late?

And there is no real upper limit as long as you feel you can keep them all interesting! Just try not to make a lot of spam... Cause spam tastes bad and smells worse.

Ponderthought
2010-09-26, 07:01 AM
Dear gods why am I up this late?

And there is no real upper limit as long as you feel you can keep them all interesting! Just try not to make a lot of spam... Cause spam tastes bad and smells worse.

Fried spam is quite good on a sandwich actually...

I do agree though. We need more people running around the city bumping into other, stranger people..

Terumitsu
2010-09-29, 01:03 PM
It might just be me but... Where is everyone? The thread got kinda quiet...

Mina Kobold
2010-09-29, 01:44 PM
It might just be me but... Where is everyone? The thread got kinda quiet...

I'm here! Over here! Not over there!

I've just been busy what wit Iron Avatarist, a Pathfinder game I'm rolling a character for and generally being in more FFRPGs than should be humanly possible O_o

I will try making that second character one of the days, though :smallsmile:

Will probably be a viking with alien tech or magic powers, many good roleplaying opportunities have originated from a super-powered guy from the past finding himself in the present, most of them great humour opportunities too :smalltongue:

ApeofLight
2010-09-29, 09:30 PM
Well... if more people where interested in actually going to the museum now a days...

*sigh* where have all of the historical buffs with there roots in ancient cultures gone?

Mina Kobold
2010-10-02, 03:45 PM
Well... if more people where interested in actually going to the museum now a days...

*sigh* where have all of the historical buffs with there roots in ancient cultures gone?

I might have someone who will go there.

You guessed it! It's character time! (again) :smalltongue:

Leifr Logesson and Velki'jh (val-kə-r)
Species: Human and Artificial intelligence of unknown origin, respectively
Occupation: Servant of the Aesir (IE. unemployed) and AI of Leifr's helmet
Physical description:
Remarkably tall, muscular from a life at the sea and on the battlefield and with long blond hair, Leifr fits the stereotypic image of a viking warrior. His clothing on first glance fits this stereotype as well with a winged helmet, a tunic of silk with complementary boots, an iron buckled belt, heavy grey gloves and a crude sword. In reality his helmet contain the AI Velki'jh, his tunic and boots are exceptionally fine chain-mail made from an alloy quite impossible to make on earth before the twentieth century and both belt and gloves equally out of place. The sword, his most priced possession, is just a sword from the ninth century AD, nothing special about that.

While Velki'jh is usually only a voice in Leifr's head (for once not a bad thing) she can project a holographic avatar that takes the shape of a young woman of the appropriate species and dress for the current situation.

Unique abilities or talents: Leifr himself doesn't possess any abilities beyond those of a viking warrior (so not the best for an electrician employment) his alien equipment gives him limited invulnerability, enhanced strength, the ability to see wavelengths of light normally invisible to humans and the ability to absorb radiation.
Velki'jh can interact with other AI, manipulate simpler technology, translate between an abundance of languages and analyse any material, creature or area through the information gathered through the helmet.

A viking who now finds himself a thousand years out of his time (with 'magic armour' no less!) will have plenty of reason to visit a museum to catch up, a shame he'll probably cause quite some odd stares and destroy something on his way :smalltongue:

Any comments?

Terumitsu
2010-10-02, 04:14 PM
I'd say that sounds pretty cool! Might there be some culture/temporal shock in there too?

Mina Kobold
2010-10-02, 04:49 PM
I'd say that sounds pretty cool! Might there be some culture/temporal shock in there too?

Of course.

Most of it will involve violence, shouting and talking about how technology must be magic and that the Jotun are behind all the bad stuff.

So not much different from a music festival :smalltongue:

Nah, I'll try to have him react realistically, he might be in denial or misunderstanding a lot, though :smallsmile:

EDIT: Hullo? Anyone?

Mina Kobold
2010-10-10, 12:32 PM
Is this dead already?

but it was Fu~n! :smallfrown:

cho_j
2010-10-13, 09:32 PM
Is this dead already?

but it was Fu~n! :smallfrown:

No! Let's not let it die! Is anyone else out there? (Sorry I've been absent so long, too. :smallredface:)

Terumitsu
2010-10-14, 10:04 AM
It's not quite dead but all my characters in here are locked up as the people I was RPing with have vanished for some or other reason.

I'd be willing to get something going soonish, though, should ye all be interested.

Dorizzit
2010-10-14, 10:09 AM
I'm still here, I'm just not sure what to do.

Mina Kobold
2010-10-14, 02:37 PM
It's not quite dead but all my characters in here are locked up as the people I was RPing with have vanished for some or other reason.

I'd be willing to get something going soonish, though, should ye all be interested.

Try shooting them a PM.

Or, alternatively, just shoot at them :smalltongue:

I'm still here, I'm just not sure what to do.

Maybe one of your characters could notice the huge ball of space stuff that just crashed into the outskirts of the city?

Ponderthought
2010-10-15, 01:53 PM
Yes, were still alive, if only due to life support.

Ive been absent for abit, getting things done, starting blogs and what not, but ive got some characters free. Anyone want to start something with a bored Vigil agent or a superpowered hitman?

Mina Kobold
2010-10-15, 01:58 PM
Yes, were still alive, if only due to life support.

Ive been absent for abit, getting things done, starting blogs and what not, but ive got some characters free. Anyone want to start something with a bored Vigil agent or a superpowered hitman?

The Vigil agent could investigate Leifr and try to convince him not to go rampaging through the city? :smalltongue:

Terumitsu
2010-10-15, 05:36 PM
I was about to send you a PM, Ponder... Been waiting for a reply for... A while now.

Though I understand that this strange thing called 'Real Life' has this curious trait of kidnapping a person only to deposit them from wherence they came but with the strangest feeling that they could have had a liquid fruit/vegitible beverage.

Ponderthought
2010-10-15, 05:58 PM
Sorry to leave you hanging there Teru. Life happened, along with bourbon. We can start up the Aliens again any time you wish.

Terumitsu
2010-10-15, 06:07 PM
Any time is a good time for me. I might be a bit slow on getting the posts up today though. But only just.

Mina Kobold
2010-10-16, 12:14 PM
[Outskirts of Northport, Crater]

The horse gives a whine, akin to a laugh, and snorts again.

You are not in Midgard my friend.

The horse says to him, shaking its head and neighing. It walks closer and sniffs the viking.

I'm sorry that you're not where you had hoped to be.

Uhm, is the horse trying to trick him?

I checked up on it, the world of the humans is Midgard, out of nine worlds only three have any humans at all.

And I doubt Northport is in Hel or Asgard, too much fun for the former and too little booze for the later :smalltongue:

IcemanJRC
2010-10-16, 12:19 PM
The horse assumes that Midgard is a specific place, not the entire world.

Mina Kobold
2010-10-16, 01:53 PM
The horse assumes that Midgard is a specific place, not the entire world.

I see, my mistake :smallsmile:

I'm guessing the viking's speculations are just confusing it even more now? :smalltongue:

IcemanJRC
2010-10-16, 01:59 PM
Yea. That's pretty much it.

Mina Kobold
2010-10-16, 02:46 PM
Anyone got any idea what happened to Rebonack?

His last post was in Northport almost a month ago, I'm kind of worried.

Terumitsu
2010-10-19, 01:07 PM
I think it's a combination of midterms, his recent League of Legends kick, and that his muse is taking a sabbatical. I was able to talk to him a bit over a week ago so he's still alive as of then.

IonDragon
2010-10-31, 09:21 PM
Has everyone from the museum scene moved on? If so, I'm going to accidentally trip an alarm and leave so I can do something.

IonDragon
2010-11-03, 11:59 PM
Well, it's been a couple of days and no one from the Museum scene has said anything, so I'm going to go ahead and trip that there alarm, and run off into the night.

Mina Kobold
2010-11-04, 11:29 AM
Where is everybody anyway?

IonDragon
2010-11-04, 09:22 PM
Maybe we could use a [Plot] thread to rekindle some interest?

Ponderthought
2010-11-04, 10:17 PM
Ive been horribly preoccupied. Apologies for my recent absence. Ill try and be present more often, but life has been rather hectic.

IonDragon
2010-12-24, 08:49 PM
I'm liking that [Plot] idea more and more. Would anyone else be interested in banding together to make one? I'm willing to put in some work.

Mina Kobold
2010-12-25, 08:21 AM
I'm liking that [Plot] idea more and more. Would anyone else be interested in banding together to make one? I'm willing to put in some work.

What is the idea? I'm not sure I understood :smallredface:

Also, I think it's too late :smallfrown:

14 day rule and all.

Squi'd lawfullness!

IonDragon
2010-12-25, 04:27 PM
This Plot idea:

Maybe we could use a [Plot] thread to rekindle some interest?

There's no reason we can't just start up a new IC thread if there's still life in this. There was quite a bit of world written up, and I don't think it should just be abandoned.

Mina Kobold
2010-12-25, 05:31 PM
This Plot idea:

There's no reason we can't just start up a new IC thread if there's still life in this. There was quite a bit of world written up, and I don't think it should just be abandoned.

I know, I'm just confused as to the nature of the tag [PLOT], what does it mean? I have only experienced similar in Nexus (once) and I'm not sure how it works outside said Nexus, thank you in advance for dealing with my ignorance :smallsmile:

Agreed, it shouldn't be abandoned. Not even if an extra-dimensional being materialized and ordered it!

IonDragon
2010-12-25, 07:23 PM
I know, I'm just confused as to the nature of the tag [PLOT], what does it mean? I have only experienced similar in Nexus (once) and I'm not sure how it works outside said Nexus, thank you in advance for dealing with my ignorance :smallsmile:Basically, a [Plot] tag indicates that something is going on that is larger than the individual and day to day. Something that will bring a group of several characters together.

Mina Kobold
2010-12-26, 04:31 AM
Basically, a [Plot] tag indicates that something is going on that is larger than the individual and day to day. Something that will bring a group of several characters together.

So... The same thing that's being going on IC minute? :smalltongue:

Just kidding, it's a good idea. We just need some form of plot...

Maybe the cursed thingie in the museum attracted something 'big''s attention?

IonDragon
2010-12-26, 10:03 PM
So... The same thing that's being going on IC minute? :smalltongue:
Kind of, but more like someone actually wrote the whole thing out like in a normal RPG. Someone has some BBEG or something they're playing as an NPC...

Mina Kobold
2010-12-27, 12:08 PM
Kind of, but more like someone actually wrote the whole thing out like in a normal RPG. Someone has some BBEG or something they're playing as an NPC...

Groovy, So do you want to be the big bad wolf thing?

'Cause I'm not sure I could and we seem to be the only ones left >.>

IonDragon
2010-12-31, 01:39 AM
Groovy, So do you want to be the big bad wolf thing?

'Cause I'm not sure I could and we seem to be the only ones left >.>

If it's only the two of us, I don't know what fun it would be. I do have an idea for something that's dark and nefarious though if we decide to proceed.

Mina Kobold
2010-12-31, 05:04 AM
If it's only the two of us, I don't know what fun it would be. I do have an idea for something that's dark and nefarious though if we decide to proceed.

The plot was supposed to draw in more, wasn't it? :smallwink:

Though, we could PM some of the others to see if they're still interested :smallsmile:

Dorizzit
2010-12-31, 10:04 AM
I'm still here and interested.

Just saying.

Mina Kobold
2011-01-08, 04:56 AM
I'm still here and interested.

Just saying.

Hurrah!

Were we going ahead with the plot idea? 'Cause this shouldn't die.

At all.

Mina Kobold
2011-01-13, 02:07 PM
Ahem.

I said this shouldn't die. :smallmad:

So anyone up for PMing the former players to see if they're interested in restarting this?

Kainte
2011-01-16, 11:02 AM
Showing interest. But where's everyone? And is there an IC thread?

Mina Kobold
2011-01-16, 11:05 AM
Showing interest. But where's everyone? And is there an IC thread?

Join in! Most seem to have lost interest but we really want to get this back up. So glad you wat to join. :smallsmile:

There is a IC thread, I'll see if I can find it. :smallsmile:

EDIT: Here it is! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168411)

Kainte
2011-01-16, 11:57 AM
We really should start a new IC thread. But it's kinda sad that the OP has left his invention...

Mina Kobold
2011-01-16, 01:11 PM
We really should start a new IC thread. But it's kinda sad that the OP has left his invention...

I think they forgot when one of the players had to leave because of school.

Anyway, aren't we four now? Isn't that enough to start a new IC thread. :smallsmile:

Kainte
2011-01-16, 02:10 PM
I think it's enough for a start. It's kinda confusing when there are lots of characters right in start.

Mina Kobold
2011-01-17, 04:47 PM
I think it's enough for a start. It's kinda confusing when there are lots of characters right in start.

Then let's get started!

Should we start with a plot or just the usual stuff?

Who will make the thread?

And other questions.

Dorizzit
2011-01-17, 07:07 PM
A plot is probably best. The main cause of death in these games is a lack of guiding focus.

Mina Kobold
2011-01-18, 11:48 AM
A plot is probably best. The main cause of death in these games is a lack of guiding focus.

Then we need an idea.

All I have is that something powerful is coming, that something/someone is trying to reveal the supernatural to the entire populus or that something is messing up everything (which the thing in the museum actually was but it didn't really do enough for anythig to happen)

But once we have a plot we will surely get this moving again!

Even if a meteor blew up the planet.

I don't give up that easily.

Kainte
2011-01-18, 01:46 PM
It could start from rumors. Something like, there are people disappearing and then coming back but entirely diffrent.

Just an example, of course. :smallamused:

Mina Kobold
2011-01-20, 12:26 PM
It could start from rumors. Something like, there are people disappearing and then coming back but entirely diffrent.

Just an example, of course. :smallamused:

Intresting, but we need to think up a reason for it and tell the thread-maker...

Everybody is expecting me to make the thread, aren't they?

Kainte
2011-01-22, 03:41 PM
The reason for this should be alien kidnaps or... alien kidnaps!
And it really looks like everyone is expecting you to do the job.

Mina Kobold
2011-01-22, 03:49 PM
The reason for this should be alien kidnaps or... alien kidnaps!
And it really looks like everyone is expecting you to do the job.

But we have at least three aliens already...

Magic aliens!

Well then I'll have to make it, I'll go to work as soon as it stops being late.

So till then let's get'a'planning!

How should we have the plot? I imagine people are dissapearing mysteriously and Scully and Mulder the Vigil sends normal agents out to figure out what's going on but as they dissapear too they decide to hire various magic and alien creatures to help, hoping they have better luck and fewer casualties?

EDIT: Or maybe the Vigil as a whole has dissapeared as well and everybody is trying to figure out why?!

Kainte
2011-01-24, 02:07 PM
Ammm... I didn't read the IC thread....

Mina Kobold
2011-01-24, 02:17 PM
Ammm... I didn't read the IC thread....

Don't worry, most of it can be summed up in a few sentences: :smallsmile:

Skeleton owns a bar, weird magical beings get in and listen to the zombie jazz players until ghost conspiracy theorist accidentally awakens self and friend who turns out to be a magical creature himself without knowing it.

Meanwhile spirits and thieves try to rob a specific evil artifact from the museum which is causing evil rain, a spider-creature and a viking crash land around the city and are taken in by the Vigil (local MIB) and another alien respectively.

We never got further than that one evening. :smalltongue:

Mina Kobold
2011-01-26, 11:18 AM
Sorry for the double post but the new IC thread should be up here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10239699#) now!

Now getta posting (Characters go here if you don't have one yet) afore I make you disappear too!

Kainte
2011-01-26, 04:02 PM
Nice! But consider making another OOC thread for drawing attention and stuff.

What about my character...

His name is Jake Chambers and he's eleven years old. One day he just finds himself in Northport.

I'm not sure if to tell his story here or during the game... I think it could be more interesting if his story would be told during the game.

Mina Kobold
2011-01-26, 04:09 PM
Nice! But consider making another OOC thread for drawing attention and stuff.

What about my character...

His name is Jake Chambers and he's eleven years old. One day he just finds himself in Northport.

I'm not sure if to tell his story here or during the game... I think it could be more interesting if his story would be told during the game.

Sounds good, a little vague but good. I just wonder how you suddenly find yourself in a major eastcoast city when you're eleven. Lost at an airport and ends up on the wrong plane? Kidnapped by Rocs?

Is he awakened or unawakened?

Kainte
2011-01-27, 10:31 AM
He finds himself at Northport after being run over by a car.

And he becomes awakened at Northport, gaining telekinesis.

Mina Kobold
2011-01-27, 11:36 AM
He finds himself at Northport after being run over by a car.

And he becomes awakened at Northport, gaining telekinesis.

Uhm... That can only happen if a supernatural creature was involved.

The Nexus can do it (It's probably sentient) but this is not the sam euniverse as that and without direct supernatural (Say, poltergeists or aliens) intervention being run over by a car has exactly the effect you'd expect in real life.

Being awakened also only change you if that's part of your heritage (Happened once, the poor guy had a shock when he found out he was not the least bit human) if you're just a human then it lets you see the supernatural and nothing else.

It is just your brain realising there's no other explanation to what just happened (like suddenly being transported several kiometres by aliens)

I'm terribly sorry but that's what we agreed on. :smallfrown:

But there's hope! He can be transported there by [Insert magical, eldricth, alien or other creature here] after the car has run him over and gives him an injection/a trinket/ fairy dustsomething else to grant him telekinesis and possibly save his life or something. :smallsmile:

Kainte
2011-01-28, 08:33 AM
Anyway, no one's posting in the new IC thread...
Someone could make a new OOC hoping that it'll draw attension.

The idea was that he died in that accident. All that happend in New York, around the 70's. Later on he moves to another dimension where he finds himself in Newport.

There's a reason for that. The boy transfered to new port by some unknown forces to fulfill his destiny and the destiny of others. The unknown forces need the boy to interrupt the ceratain events that are about to come, if not already occurred.