PDA

View Full Version : (Pathfinder) How big can you get?

No Idea
2010-09-09, 12:53 PM
I'm wondering how size increasing spells and abilities stack in a Pathfinder game and what would be the best way to buff a character to a colossal size or bigger? Say you start as a medium creature, cast Righteous Might to get Large. Does Enlarge Person then further increase you to huge? What about polymorph? I'm interested in hearing your ideas.

Snake-Aes
2010-09-09, 12:55 PM
I'm wondering how size increasing spells and abilities stack in a Pathfinder game and what would be the best way to buff a character to a colossal size or bigger? Say you start as a medium creature, cast Righteous Might to get Large. Does Enlarge Person then further increase you to huge? What about polymorph? I'm interested in hearing your ideas.

Nothing of that changed from 3.5 by what I remember. So generally two size enhancing spells won't stack.

satorian
2010-09-09, 02:39 PM
Pathfinder purposefully limits growth, along with its other polymorph nerfs. The shape changing spells max out at huge size explicitly, as opposed to shapechange in 3.5, which allowed colossal. Really the only way I could see around it is a DM allowing a creature that is already large to research a spell to embiggen him to colossal. I.e. DM fiat. Snake is right. Size mods don't normally stack in Pathfinder any more than in 3.5.

Snake-Aes
2010-09-09, 02:41 PM
well, you could always bring Giant Size to pf and use it. It's straight to colossal at caster level 17. Or play a Huge phrenic creature with an appropriately augmented Expansion.

satorian
2010-09-09, 02:51 PM
While true, I think those spells go against the spirit of the pathfinder shape changing rules. Giant Size in 3.5 is a weaker Shapechange. In PF, it would actually be a stronger Shapechange (well aside from the ability to change to varied forms at will). Expansion, too, if ported to PF, really should be limited, I think, maxing out at huge. The only way I could see it would be playing a Cloud or Storm Giant with Enlarge Person. Giants are humanoid in PF, I think. Again, though, yeah or nay would be DM fiat, whether to import 3.5 material or allow a giant PC.

Snake-Aes
2010-09-09, 03:07 PM
Expansion is limited by its augmentation. It can only increase 1 or 2 steps. The beta expansion for PF is unchanged.

Benejeseret
2010-09-09, 03:24 PM
Wu Jen spells includes one that goes straight to colossal (I think). Unless there is something specific ruled in PF the spell itself should override (specific>general)

Depends on whether DM is ok converting Wu Jen to PF.

Paul H
2010-09-12, 05:43 PM
Hi

But why would you want to? There may be other/better ways to gain the same effect.

Paladin 4/Sorc 1/Dragon Disciple can change into a Large Dragon 2/Day for 8 minutes each. Use a Scroll of Form of Dragon III, (CL check required), and you become a Huge Dragon, with Smite abiities with all your attacks. In this case thats Cha mod to attacks (& Def modifier to AC vs victim), plus 4 damage [8 bonus dam vs Evil Outsiders or Undead] for Paladin 4.

Cheers
Paul H