PDA

View Full Version : Someone broke into my house

Dusk Eclipse
2010-09-09, 04:14 PM
And they too everything, my mom & grandmom jewlery, our laptops, my knife, d&d minis, hotwheel, videogame collections. I just don't know what to do, I am at the verge of tears of frudtration one moment, tje other I just want to break stuff, and then I just feel extremely apathethic.

Thajocoth
2010-09-09, 04:16 PM
Call the police. They might be able to find some fingerprints or DNA or something... They might even catch the criminal while they still have your stuff.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-09-09, 04:21 PM
Already did, this happenened in the morning where there was no one in my house, 8 guess my parents didn't tell us right away to avoid distressing me and my sis.

And frankly I don't have faith in mexican police.

CrimsonAngel
2010-09-09, 04:23 PM
He took freaking DnD minis and hotwheels? If the crook is as nerdy as implied, he can't have gotten too far without needing to stop and rest. I bet you can still catch up to him!

Dusk Eclipse
2010-09-09, 04:31 PM
He took freaking DnD minis and hotwheels? If the crook is as nerdy as implied, he can't have gotten too far without needing to stop and rest. I bet you can still catch up to him!

Yeah I can't understand it either... wish that was true.

SDF
2010-09-09, 04:39 PM
Check local pawn shops and craigslist style websites. Probably your best bet for catching the guy or finding your stuff.

Erloas
2010-09-09, 04:43 PM

For most things like this they go with the idea of "if it was worth something to you it will be worth something to someone else" even if they have no idea what it is or what it is worth.
However if they were that thorough they must have had a lot of time.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-09-09, 04:46 PM
My house is empty from 8 to 13 so they had a long time, what is more worrying is that they know how and when we move.

Darklord Xavez
2010-09-09, 04:49 PM
Some people just don't deserve to have existed. Your burglar is one of them. I hope some of you stuff is found/replaced.:smallfrown:
-Xavez

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-09-09, 04:56 PM
Thieves are already scumbags. Stealing minis? A LOSER scumbag.

Geeze.

However, it's likely someone nearby. Frankly I can't imagine them stealing the minis unless they were either.

A. A D&Der

or

B. Knew you well enough to know it'd be missed and was thus stolen just to hurt.

So do you know anyone like that?

I doubt they'd sell them either way. As such, I'd go and write down every D&D mini you had, and if the cops find someone who might be responsible, they can simply look at the bottom of the mini's to see if they match up.

Hope you find out (and better yet, also get in a few good blows)

CoffeeIncluded
2010-09-09, 04:58 PM
Get the police, get your friends, and get a dog.

I'm really sorry...

arguskos
2010-09-09, 05:01 PM
Get the police, get your friends, and get a dog.

I'm really sorry...
While the above is decent advice, I can't help but laugh when I read "get a dog". Dammit Anon, you RUINED that phrase for me. Now, everything is just funny when I see that. :smallbiggrin:

Still, dude, that blows. Dunno where you are in the world, but in many places, cops are pretty understanding of this sorta thing and will try hard to help out. Insurance might help too.

Jallorn
2010-09-09, 05:01 PM
All I can add is that I hope you had good insurance.

Malfunctioned
2010-09-09, 05:02 PM
get a dog.

I'm going to have to second this bit.

My house was broken into last month, they didn't get away with anything and left almost instantly because they woke up my dog as they got in and were scared off by a Miniature Schnauzer.

But yeah, call the police and I hope they'll catch the scumbags that did this.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-09-09, 05:02 PM
You know the minis weren't that important I just had like 8 or 10 what hurst more is my laptop which had all my school coursework, my fanfictions, my original writings and the notes for the campaing I was going run.

Also my mother lost her work laptop....

Edit: to the ones that suggest that i get a dog... my dog got lost a month a go and we were giving some time to mourn before getting a new one.

Also the policie here in mexico is either corrupt or next to useless.

arguskos
2010-09-09, 05:03 PM
You know the minis weren't that important I just had like 8 or 10 what hurst more is my laptop which had all my school coursework, my fanfictions, my original writings and the notes for the campaing I was going run.

Also my mother lost her work laptop....
Did you have a backup drive? It's entirely possible they missed it, if you had one. That could be your ticket straight to keeping all your data. :smallsmile:

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-09-09, 05:05 PM
You know the minis weren't that important
Yeah, but they're distinctive is the thing

Dusk Eclipse
2010-09-09, 05:09 PM
Did you have a backup drive? It's entirely possible they missed it, if you had one. That could be your ticket straight to keeping all your data. :smallsmile:

I was saving money to buy an external drive. I refused admantly to do a copy on CD as I never though I would need one before I could buy the external drive.

Yeah, but they're distinctive is the thing

Yeah.... probably.

arguskos
2010-09-09, 05:14 PM
I was saving money to buy an external drive. I refused admantly to do a copy on CD as I never though I would need one before I could buy the external drive.
Suck. Well, it was worth a shot. Uh... since you're on a computer, you have changed the password to everything net-based you use, right? Since they have your laptop, if they were feeling dickish, they could abuse your accounts/email/everything you do online. Perhaps fixing this is in order?

I mean, I sincerely doubt it'll happen, but better to be safe than sorry, you know?

Dusk Eclipse
2010-09-09, 05:17 PM
Actually i am on my cellphone it has wi-fi access, though yeh I should probably change my paswords...all of them

Thajocoth
2010-09-09, 05:29 PM
My house is empty from 8 to 13 so they had a long time, what is more worrying is that they know how and when we move.

This means that they watched your house for a while first to get the hang of your schedule.

I've heard about the condition Mexico's police are in... Yeah, I really have no idea what you can do then. Good luck?

Dusk Eclipse
2010-09-09, 05:49 PM
Yeah, I hate to admit it but I am really scared because of that

Lycan 01
2010-09-09, 07:14 PM
Crap dude. I'm sorry to hear that. I second checking all the local pawn shops and such, and also you should change your locks and home security stuff. An alarm system would be a good idea...

What about credit cards and stuff? If you did much online shopping, or any are missing, you should change your info and/or cancel the cards ASAP.

-sorry-

Dusk Eclipse
2010-09-09, 07:23 PM
Crap dude. I'm sorry to hear that. I second checking all the local pawn shops and such, and also you should change your locks and home security stuff. An alarm system would be a good idea...

What about credit cards and stuff? If you did much online shopping, or any are missing, you should change your info and/or cancel the cards ASAP.

Also, find a new country. :smallannoyed:

As far as online shopping go... I only recal doing it when paying for a DDI account, so that isn't a great concern. And my parents are cancelling all their credit cards

We think the thieves broke in through the roof (there are constructing a building right behind my house and it is ridiculously easy to jump from a scafolding in the construction to the roof of my house:smallmad:). none of the locks look forced so that is the best explanation we could came up with.

And though I am really considering trying to get an scholarship to study abroad, I don't appreciate the comment about finding a new country, despite it's many flaws I love my country, and I wouldn't leve it just because of a theft.

VanBuren
2010-09-09, 07:29 PM
And though I am really considering trying to get an scholarship to study abroad, I don't appreciate the comment about finding a new country, despite it's many flaws I love my country, and I wouldn't leve it just because of a theft.

To be fair, if your police system is hopelessly corrupt, it's not a major point in your favor. That said, I can understand why leaving everything you've ever known behind might not be your preferred course of action.

Marnath
2010-09-09, 07:30 PM
Also, find a new country. :smallannoyed:

I do not think that this is a very nice thing to say.:smallfrown: Thieves are everywhere.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-09-09, 07:32 PM
To be fair, if your police system is hopelessly corrupt, it's not a major point in your favor. That said, I can understand why leaving everything you've ever known behind might not be your preferred course of action.

I know and that just makes this harder..... my parents are in the delegation (literal translation, though maybe the best translation would be police department) to press charges (I don't know if that would be the best expression) and probably they will be there for hours...

VanBuren
2010-09-09, 07:36 PM
I know and that just makes this harder..... my parents are in the delegation (literal translation, though maybe the best translation would be police department) to press charges (I don't know if that would be the best expression) and probably they will be there for hours...

Pressing charges would imply that there's a suspect. Do you mean to say that they're pushing for an investigation? If so, then it's disturbing that they have to fight for that to happen. Here in the U.S. it seems like that would just be standard operating procedure.

Marnath
2010-09-09, 07:40 PM
Maybe the police are busy? I don't know much about it, but I think I saw a report that the police and army are busy having a war with drug cartels?

Dusk Eclipse
2010-09-09, 07:48 PM
Maybe the police are busy? I don't know much about it, but I think I saw a report that the police and army are busy having a war with drug cartels?

Yeah; but most of the problems are happening in the north of the country, I live in the south zone of Mexico City (the capital in case anyone doesn't knows)which is technically one of the safest zone in the country.
Besides I know how corrupt policemen are here.

Pressing charges would imply that there's a suspect. Do you mean to say that they're pushing for an investigation? If so, then it's disturbing that they have to fight for that to happen. Here in the U.S. it seems like that would just be standard operating procedure.

Yeah it would be pushing for an investigation, I am not that knowledgeable in judiciry terminoligy. I have to admit that I don't know much about how they manage it, since till today I hadn't had the neccesity to do that.

Haruki-kun
2010-09-09, 07:51 PM

That's not even half of it. :smallsigh: But I'd better not get political.

I'm sorry to hear that, Dusk...

Dusk Eclipse
2010-09-09, 08:04 PM
You know this is why I love this community, you all are really supportive. Seriously .Thank you so much.

I mean we didn't lose anything that can't be recovered eventually; but the way all this played out is making me nervous because the must know our routine.

I hate feeling like this.

Jack Squat
2010-09-09, 08:15 PM
We think the thieves broke in through the roof (there are constructing a building right behind my house and it is ridiculously easy to jump from a scafolding in the construction to the roof of my house:smallmad:). none of the locks look forced so that is the best explanation we could came up with.

To be fair, I can jimmy a locked door open faster than most people can unlock the door with a key, provided that the door's not deadbolted. If it is deadbolted, most of the time a knife can work back the bolt, since they often don't rotate fully closed. People working construction would know this - at least that's how I learned these tricks - and they don't leave obvious marks, if they leave any.

Sucks that you got robbed, but I'd be glad that they did it when you guys weren't there. Possessions can be replaced, people can't.

CoffeeIncluded
2010-09-09, 08:37 PM
My history teacher from two years ago was robbed before I had her as a teacher. She and the police searched the nearby pawn shops and were able to get most of their stuff back.

And like I said. You HAVE to get a dog. The number one deterrent for criminals is a dog. Preferably a larger one.

CynicalAvocado
2010-09-09, 08:43 PM
i know that feeling, last year someone broke into my car and stole my radio, gun and backpack(which had my laptop, mp3 player, and about 350 USD in books)

Dusk Eclipse
2010-09-09, 08:43 PM
My history teacher from two years ago was robbed before I had her as a teacher. She and the police searched the nearby pawn shops and were able to get most of their stuff back.

And like I said. You HAVE to get a dog. The number one deterrent for criminals is a dog. Preferably a larger one.

I have a dog (besides the one that got lost) but she is so friendly to everyone she didn't even bark through the robery....(at least according to the neighbors, they say they didn't hear anything.)

I don't know if there are pawn shops near here; though probably I should look into them.

CynicalAvocado
2010-09-09, 08:49 PM

like a rottweiler, or a doberman (watch out with dobs, though... their skull never grows out so as they get older their brain starts pushing against it and they eventually go psychotic)

VanBuren
2010-09-09, 08:50 PM
like a rottweiler, or a doberman (watch out with dobs, though... their skull never grows out so as they get older their brain starts pushing against it and they eventually go psychotic)

That's... not true. At all.

CynicalAvocado
2010-09-09, 08:54 PM
That's... not true. At all.

you're right... i just looked it up.
ye gods i feel stupid now:smallredface:

VanBuren
2010-09-09, 08:55 PM
you're right... i just looked it up.
ye gods i feel stupid now:smallredface:

Don't worry about it, it's a popular myth.

CynicalAvocado
2010-09-09, 08:59 PM
Don't worry about it, it's a popular myth.

like the one about pit bulls being vicious killers

VanBuren
2010-09-09, 09:00 PM
like the one about pit bulls being vicious killers

Right. Pit Bulls are actually quite affectionate if you raise them to be that way.

CynicalAvocado
2010-09-09, 09:02 PM
Right. Pit Bulls are actually quite affectionate if you raise them to be that way.

my friend shara has one and he is an angel. as for me, i had a blue heeler. good guard dog, i raised him to be aggressive ONLY to trespassers

Dusk Eclipse
2010-09-09, 09:04 PM
Does anyine knows abou a small breed of dogs that might be passable guard dogs? My mom and my grandma would like a dog that can be inside without problems.

VanBuren
2010-09-09, 09:08 PM
Does anyine knows abou a small breed of dogs that might be passable guard dogs? My mom and my grandma would like a dog that can be inside without problems.

The most aggressive dog I've ever met was a tiny little Shih Tzu. Take that as you will. :smalltongue:

Dusk Eclipse
2010-09-09, 09:10 PM
Interisting......will tell them and see what the say.

CynicalAvocado
2010-09-09, 09:24 PM

pomeranians. fuzzy on the outside, pure unbridled evil on the inside

Eon
2010-09-09, 10:22 PM
Sorry to hear that, wish I could help. :smallfrown:

I hope it works out for you...

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-09-09, 10:28 PM
A-MEN!

My sister has one... and they are. And they go into a complete fit at any sign that something is going on. When staying over there I can't walk to the bathroom on the other side of the house without it going off.

Lycan 01
2010-09-09, 10:31 PM
I've had three pomeranians. They could all be fierce, but out oldest one is FRICKIN PSYCHO. He WILL bite, just for small things like looking into his eyes for too long or petting him in a way he doesn't like. Woe unto anyone who tries to come in my room while I'm asleep and he's lurking at the foot of my bed - that sucker will defend me to his dying breath, even if the person walking into the room doesn't even acknowledge we're there. XD

CynicalAvocado
2010-09-10, 07:17 AM
A-MEN!

My sister has one... and they are. And they go into a complete fit at any sign that something is going on. When staying over there I can't walk to the bathroom on the other side of the house without it going off.

it's like they're tribbles and you're a klingon

rakkoon
2010-09-10, 07:35 AM
That sucks man. Can you add more locks or bar up some entryways?

prufock
2010-09-10, 08:25 AM
Repeat after me: "It's only stuff."

The big issue with being robbed is the feeling of being violated and unsafe. Take steps to better secure your property. The worst part of this is your mother's work laptop, since it might contain sensitive information or information that's difficult to retrieve.

Check pawn shops, online classifieds, and make an claim if you have insurance. But remember, it's only stuff.

Malfunctioned
2010-09-10, 08:30 AM
I'm going to have to go with a Schnauzer, miniature or otherwise.

This is what mine looks like. (http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs199.snc1/6734_263360955584_666380584_8290360_246690_n.jpg)H e is shorter than my knee but they were originally bred as guard dogs as well at rat catchers. Smart, affectionate and very protective.

AND THEY HAVE BEARDS.

pendell
2010-09-10, 08:47 AM
My sympathies. That's terrible.

Do you have home insurance? There is insurance against home robbery. It won't replace the actual stuff, but it will help cover the cost of replacement.

Unlike others here, I do NOT advise getting a dog. I remember being lectured on this a long time ago; dogs are fairly easy to subvert with some kind of meaty treat, especially if you've added some valium flavoring to said meaty snack.

A burglar alarm system might help, if you can afford one. If you can't ... I'd approach this like a pest control problem. Learn to think like a burglar. Go on the web and find out just what it is burglars are looking for in a house. See if you can figure out why they chose *YOUR* house to rob... see if there's any obvious "Rob me!" signs you are inadvertently leaving out. Then take corrective action. As with pest control, making the environment as hostile as possible is a big help in clearing the pests out.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Jack Squat
2010-09-10, 10:28 AM
Burglar systems won't really help too much. They still have time to grab stuff and run off before police arrive (average response time is 8 1/2 minutes for a violent act if Google didn't lie to me).

Best thing you can do is not make yourself an easy target. Install deadbolts and extended strike plates on all your outside doors, if you don't have them already. Secure the strike plates with long deck screws instead of what normally comes with them. Make sure all deadbolts rotate fully. Put a zip-tie around the emergency release on garage doors. This keeps someone from tripping it with a coat-hanger, but still lets you pull the cord and disengage the chain if you need to. Seal any doggie doors and don't hide keys outside.

Install good curtains on windows and keep them closed when you're not there. Bonus for hiding valuables from windows as best as possible in the first place. Also keep landscape sparse/trimmed enough that someone's not given shelter from view while trying to break in.

Make sure all windows and doors are locked completely before you leave.

There's more you can do, but I'd suggest hiring a security professional for advise particular to your situation and budget for anything more extensive. The above advise is just from my personal experiences as to what makes it easy getting into a house and some common sense.

Froogleyboy
2010-09-11, 10:51 AM
I had my house raided by the DEA before(long story), and all my minis were gone, so I know how you feel to an extent (everything that wasn't taken was cut open :smallfurious: )

Dusk Eclipse
2010-09-11, 01:17 PM
Thanks guys, now some updates.

Yesterday some investigators came over and started to check the scenes to try to ger finger prints, or other kinds of clues the result...... NONE FRIGGIN CRIME SHOWS :smallfurious:MAKING CRIMINALS SAVVY ENOUGH TO WEAR FRIGGING GLOVES!!!!!

OTOH some school friends suggested that we should look into moving as the zone I am living is becoming quite unsafe (there are rumors there is a cell of the "La Familia Michioacana" [a dug cartel] working in the zone). though I understand their worry, I don't think moving is an option in our particular case.

Also we have started looking into security system, and I believe someone will come on the week to make a cost estimate to put op an electric fence on the walls of my house and a anti-burglar system. My mother is looking into some addoption sites to look for a dog.

RandomNPC
2010-09-13, 05:20 PM
plant some spikey plants around your windows, good times there.

Smaller dogs tend to have attitude, but if someone's planning on breaking rules, they probably aren't going to care about kicking the dog. On the other hand something that gets mistaken for a horse will probably destroy your house.

Froogleyboy
2010-09-13, 06:08 PM

Oh my gods, How true you are! My step dad is obsessed with those fuzzy bastards! They are fluffy balls of pure hatred and ankle biting!

Maxios
2010-09-13, 09:25 PM
What kind of theives steal freakin' dnd minatures? Still, sorry that your house was robbed. There's still a chance though the police or you may find your stuff. Perhaps the theive's couldn't carry everything and dropped it on the side of the road.

CynicalAvocado
2010-09-13, 09:32 PM
Oh my gods, How true you are! My step dad is obsessed with those fuzzy bastards! They are fluffy balls of pure hatred and ankle biting!

actual encounter with a pomeranian devil dog

aww look at the cute LITTLE... OHMYGOD, GET IT OFF! GET IT OFF!!!

Dusk Eclipse
2010-09-13, 10:23 PM
What kind of theives steal freakin' dnd minatures? Still, sorry that your house was robbed. There's still a chance though the police or you may find your stuff. Perhaps the theive's couldn't carry everything and dropped it on the side of the road.

Nah, this happened last thursday and so far we have had no luck, they used frigging gloves!!!!:smallmad:

Lord Loss
2010-09-14, 05:29 AM
I also reccomend a dog. We have a rottweiler (cause we like the breed, not for security). A good deterrent.Even if you don't have an alarm (though getting one is good) stick one of those alarmco or whatnot stickers on your window.

And who steals MINIs. I hope you get your stuff back :smallfrown:. Also a doggie'll cheer you up!

As long as you don't get him from a pet shop. Pet shop dogs are from puppy mills. Puppy Mills = BAAAAD.

pendell
2010-09-15, 08:13 AM
Nah, this happened last thursday and so far we have had no luck, they used frigging gloves!!!!:smallmad:

Just so you know, I learned about gloves in the 1980s from Hardy Boys detective novels, which were themselves written in the 1950s. If you're going to blame media for making criminals savvy enough to wear gloves, you're going to have to go back at least 50 years.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

ZakRenning
2010-09-16, 12:20 AM
Now I might get yelled at for this but I am all about the protection.

I would suggest for your dad to get a gun (If he does not have one already)
If you are feeling unsafe that they know your routine, get into gun safety classes, it will help.
I used to live in a really bad neighborhood and had our car broken into multiple times and our house was broken into more than once, my dad bought a shotgun and some pistols and he made sure people saw that he had them, nobody broke in again haha.
It may be a different situation for you and I really hope everything works out for you :smallfrown:

sariss_eldariss
2010-09-16, 12:26 AM
bad luck mate,
but on the bright side, you and your family were not at home, none of you were hurt, they are just things you will get them all back with a bit of hard work....that said if someone stole my Minis.....GRRRRRRRRR

and i dunno about mexico but i live in south africa and crime here is silly and the police for is about as effective as a mage in plate

pendell
2010-09-16, 11:04 AM
If you are feeling unsafe that they know your routine, get into gun safety classes, it will help.

While guns have their place in home defense, two things must be kept in mind:

1) A gun in the house is also a gun that can be stolen and turned against you. It can also, if you're not careful, get picked up by kids or whatever. There's also the problem of coming home and accidentally shooting your kid sister who thought it would be neat to jump out and surprise you.

This has happened before.

Not a showstopper, but some precautions very definitely need to be taken.

2) As far as I'm concerned, if a robber is inside your house you've already lost the most important part of your battle. The objective should not be to chase a robber out. The objective should be that a robber takes one look at your house, says "screw this", and goes on to rob someone else.

I don't see how a gun helps with that.

None of this is to say that a gun can't be part of the solution. When you're trapped in your bedroom by an armed intruder with no way out, you may have no other choice. The fact that you're armed may also act as a deterrent. But it's not an I Win button.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-09-16, 11:27 AM
Now I might get yelled at for this but I am all about the protection.

I used to live in a really bad neighborhood and had our car broken into multiple times and our house was broken into more than once, my dad bought a shotgun and some pistols and he made sure people saw that he had them, nobody broke in again haha.
It may be a different situation for you and I really hope everything works out for you :smallfrown:

I don't know about guns laws in mexico, I seem to recall one can own one for self protection, but I don't think my family would want one, besides as Pendell said they have already robbed us; and I don't want to think that I unwillingly armed a crimial (they already took my knives which were sharpened).

Just so you know, I learned about gloves in the 1980s from Hardy Boys detective novels, which were themselves written in the 1950s. If you're going to blame media for making criminals savvy enough to wear gloves, you're going to have to go back at least 50 years.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
....Didn't know about that, I am not into detective novels, so I assumed they came to knew because of the hype of criminal shows....

Marnath
2010-09-16, 03:14 PM

Respectfully,

Brian P.

I just have to wonder what the chances are of the average mexican thief having read a book in english that was popular 50 years ago in america versus a crime tv show which is popular in contemporary times. :smalltongue:

pendell
2010-09-17, 09:43 AM
I would say that any thief, Mexican or no, who bases his technique on crime shows OR novels will get exactly what s/he deserves :).

I'll wager that real thieves learn their trade in prison. Get caught being stupid, go to prison and do several years of hard time, getting a postgraduate education in criminality on the way. Go in a stupid kid, come out a hardened criminal. It's the only career path besides the military where the government pays for your education :tongue:

Respectfully,

Brian P.