PDA

View Full Version : Great news!

Dracons
2010-09-09, 08:53 PM
I know that many of you don't know me. Those that do likely don't like me very much in anycase, but I got great news.

I've been dealing with intenst pain in my hip for a long time. Its only recently where I finally got around to seeing a doctor. I was told a year ago, that I had the hips of a old man. ( I'm 25 years old). I needed a hip replacement.

I saw many doctors, but none wanted to do it because it would mean I'd need addition replacements over the years as they wear out.

But finally after over a year of battling, the latest xrays shown rapid growth of both the tumor eating it, and athritis in the hip joint, that they decided to do it. I'm getting last mri and preop meeting weds, and my surgery is thursday. Seven days from now, I'll finally be out of this incredible pain that has me on so many pain killers a day that I'm a zombie, and even that doesn't stop it.

I'm very happy.

Skeppio
2010-09-09, 09:06 PM
That's wonderful news! It's a very good day for you, indeed. No more hip pain and no more pain-killers! Hope you make a speedy and unhindered recovery!

Copacetic
2010-09-09, 09:15 PM
Truely, congraulations man. Meds that zombie you are only slightly more preferable than constant pain. Having neither anymore must come as a great relief. :smallsmile:

Lady Moreta
2010-09-09, 09:16 PM
Fantastic news! :smallsmile:

Good to know doctors finally got sensible.

Gullara
2010-09-09, 09:22 PM
Fantastic news! :smallsmile:

Good to know doctors finally got sensible.

Sensible doctors? How humorous.

Good luck with the surgery.

Lady Moreta
2010-09-09, 10:14 PM

Hey, it could happen! :smalltongue::smallbiggrin: My best friend is a doctor, I hold out high hopes for her at least.

Eon
2010-09-09, 10:17 PM
I wish you a speedy recovery! :smallsmile:

Rowsen
2010-09-10, 12:23 AM

More like...how humerus!
Oh wait, wrong bone. I'll just move along.

Good luck with the surgery!

Serpentine
2010-09-10, 12:31 AM
Hurrah! Yeah, that seems weird.
My mum had a hip replacement a number of years ago. She spent a good part of her teenage years in hospital as her hip bone dissolved and then grew back all misshapen. Finally she got it replaced... and then had weird bouts of incredible pain that apparently somehow wasn't related to the artificial hip at all. Epilepsy pills fixed that right up, though!
Also now she sets off hand-held metal detectors.

Skeppio
2010-09-10, 12:37 AM
Also now she sets off hand-held metal detectors.

If that ever happens to me, I'll claim I'm part robot. Kinda makes me wish I had a mechanical arm...

Serpentine
2010-09-10, 12:49 AM
Actually, I think maybe technically she is a cyborg...
She doesn't set off the metal detector gates, though, which is disappointing.

Skeppio
2010-09-10, 12:52 AM
Maybe there's not enough metal to give off a bigger detection. Or something. I have no idea how metal detectors work.
But wouldn't it be badass to go through a gate, set off the detector and then pull off your glove and roll up your sleeve to reveal a mighty mechanical limb? I think so. :smallbiggrin:

Serpentine
2010-09-10, 12:59 AM
What do you think they'd do if someone went through with a metal prosthetic limb? Would they make them take it off? If they allowed it, would they have to examine it extra-carefully or something?
And yeah, not enough metal and it's buried too deep. I think the handheld ones are more concentrated or something.

Skeppio
2010-09-10, 01:04 AM
Ooh, good question Serp. I don't think they'd have to take it off. It wouldn't be classified as a weapon, would it?
These are the questions that make me wish I knew someone with a prostethic. On the plus side, it means none of my family or friends have lost a limb, so that's a bonus. :smallbiggrin:

Serpentine
2010-09-10, 01:06 AM
I was thinking more that someone might hide a weapon or somesuch in one. Or an interesting way of transporting drugs! Surely someone's tried that. Surely.
I have a vague feeling I know someone with a prosthetic, but I can't think who... There's Eddie Kneebone in Albury, the Aboriginal guy who tells all the exchange students that he lost his leg to a whitetail spider bite, when in fact it was his lack of concern for his diabetes that did it in. And there's Adam Hills - who never ever shows it! I wanna see!