PDA

View Full Version : ranged warlock help

Kurtmuran
2010-09-10, 02:26 AM
hello i want to do a bulid to a warlock but focuses doing ranged attacks im a bit noob whit warlocks and i dont know who invocations feats or bulid use

BladeofOblivion
2010-09-10, 02:32 PM
1. Take Eldritch Spear for a true ranged build, as you won't have much range otherwise.
2. Next, take Entropic Warding. It's Awesome.
3. Finally, the last least is up to you, but I recommend Baleful Utterance. GREAT for sundering nonmagical weapons or Spell Component Pouches.

4. Fell Flight. Say bye to melee problems.
5. Hellrime Blast is pretty decent for harrying archers.
6. Your Choice.

7. Vitriolic Blast. Take it.
8. Chilling Tentacles.
9. Your choice for the rest.

Zaydos
2010-09-10, 02:56 PM
Least Invocations:
Eldritch Spear is a must.

See the Unseen is also good if you have to deal with invisibility. You can also take Entropic Warding to be resistant to other ranged attackers (although there is a 8000 GP ring that gives you Entropic Shield whenever you move at least 10-ft in a round).

Another option for Least Invocations is Devil's Sight and the Darkness one, or even just the Darkness one as long as you keep more than 20-ft away from enemies (as it is only shadowy illumination and doesn't give you a miss chance for shooting out of it).

For Lesser Invocations:
Fell Flight, stay out of melee forever
Walk Unseen: at will invisibility.
I'd go with Beshadowed Blast as your last one (might be from Complete Mage). Fort save vs 1 round Blindness.
Eldritch Chain is also worth noting although it limits your range, it does well combined with an Eldritch Essence for a good 2nd effect.

Greater Invocations:
Vitriolic Blast. Take this it's like natural spell for druids, it's required.
Chilling Tentacles is good if you tend to fight humanoid foes, but Level + 8 quickly is too little if your DM likes big monsters.
Eldritch Cone is good if you like Eldritch Essences with 2nd effects, raises their DC to its and affects a group. It limits range though which is annoying.
Bewitching Blast is a Will save debuff on each eldritch blast (confusion to be specific) and Noxious Blast takes away 1 of their actions by nauseating them (but I'd go with Beshadowed + Eldritch Cone instead).

Dark Invocations:
Stunning Blast is my favorite; Will save versus stun on every Eldritch Blast. Does have problems with SR and that you can't apply both it and Vitriolic Blast.
Retributive Invisibility: Spammable Greater Invisibility. Never become visible in combat again.
Dark Foresight: It's foresight.
Utterdark Blast: I prefer Stunning Blast but still a useful debuff.
Eldritch Doom: If you ever do get surrounded, or need to dive into an enemy formation to take them all out.

Feats:
Point Blank Shot + Precise Shot: retrain these away at higher levels if possible, but they are useful at low levels when an ally being in melee can very well mean you miss your touch attack.
Ability Focus (Eldritch Blast): If you decide on using either eldritch essence or blast shape abilities that allow saves this is for you.
Extra Invocation: Yes.
Maximize Spell-like Ability: Maximum damage 3/day (+2.5/day)
Quicken Spell-like Ability: I like this one.

Other:
Chasuble of Fell Power (Greater if possible): +1d6 (+2d6) damage with Eldritch Blasts, just say yes.
Hellfire Warlock: The normal 1 level dip of Binder for Naberius can still net +6d6 damage per attack (only +5d6 at some levels including 20th).

Also this should probably have been put in the Role-Playing section not the Homebrew.

Kurtmuran
2010-09-10, 04:58 PM
thankyou very much both

fil kearney
2010-09-10, 07:03 PM
do a search in google for "thinblade's warlock handbook". Fantastic material.

Kurtmuran
2010-09-10, 07:15 PM
Least Invocations:
Eldritch Spear is a must.

See the Unseen is also good if you have to deal with invisibility. You can also take Entropic Warding to be resistant to other ranged attackers (although there is a 8000 GP ring that gives you Entropic Shield whenever you move at least 10-ft in a round).

Another option for Least Invocations is Devil's Sight and the Darkness one, or even just the Darkness one as long as you keep more than 20-ft away from enemies (as it is only shadowy illumination and doesn't give you a miss chance for shooting out of it).

For Lesser Invocations:
Fell Flight, stay out of melee forever
Walk Unseen: at will invisibility.
I'd go with Beshadowed Blast as your last one (might be from Complete Mage). Fort save vs 1 round Blindness.
Eldritch Chain is also worth noting although it limits your range, it does well combined with an Eldritch Essence for a good 2nd effect.

Greater Invocations:
Vitriolic Blast. Take this it's like natural spell for druids, it's required.
Chilling Tentacles is good if you tend to fight humanoid foes, but Level + 8 quickly is too little if your DM likes big monsters.
Eldritch Cone is good if you like Eldritch Essences with 2nd effects, raises their DC to its and affects a group. It limits range though which is annoying.
Bewitching Blast is a Will save debuff on each eldritch blast (confusion to be specific) and Noxious Blast takes away 1 of their actions by nauseating them (but I'd go with Beshadowed + Eldritch Cone instead).

Dark Invocations:
Stunning Blast is my favorite; Will save versus stun on every Eldritch Blast. Does have problems with SR and that you can't apply both it and Vitriolic Blast.
Retributive Invisibility: Spammable Greater Invisibility. Never become visible in combat again.
Dark Foresight: It's foresight.
Utterdark Blast: I prefer Stunning Blast but still a useful debuff.
Eldritch Doom: If you ever do get surrounded, or need to dive into an enemy formation to take them all out.

Feats:
Point Blank Shot + Precise Shot: retrain these away at higher levels if possible, but they are useful at low levels when an ally being in melee can very well mean you miss your touch attack.
Ability Focus (Eldritch Blast): If you decide on using either eldritch essence or blast shape abilities that allow saves this is for you.
Extra Invocation: Yes.
Maximize Spell-like Ability: Maximum damage 3/day (+2.5/day)
Quicken Spell-like Ability: I like this one.

Other:
Chasuble of Fell Power (Greater if possible): +1d6 (+2d6) damage with Eldritch Blasts, just say yes.
Hellfire Warlock: The normal 1 level dip of Binder for Naberius can still net +6d6 damage per attack (only +5d6 at some levels including 20th).

Also this should probably have been put in the Role-Playing section not the Homebrew.

well i put in homebrew couse im creating the warlock version of a gunmage but i need some info