PDA

View Full Version : Contingent (On Death) Spells

Fax Celestis
2010-09-10, 12:35 PM
If you could add one spell (9th level or lower) as a contingency, activated upon your death, what would it be? I'm looking for something less like true resurrection and more like twinned repeat chain lightning or maximized enlarged storm of vengeance.

dsmiles
2010-09-10, 12:36 PM
If you could add one spell (9th level or lower) as a contingency, activated upon your death, what would it be? I'm looking for something less like true resurrection and more like twinned repeat chain lightning or maximized enlarged storm of vengeance.

Reincarnate!

Because, you know, I wanted to play a platypus from the get-go, but the DM wouldn't let me.
:smallwink:

Flickerdart
2010-09-10, 12:37 PM
Plane Shift to Baator. If I'm going down, I'm taking them with me. Or, better yet, a Geas to resurrect me and then give me my stuff back.

Eldariel
2010-09-10, 12:37 PM

There's already spell called "Death Throes" that's level 5 Wiz/Clr; 1d8 damage/CL in 30' radius, uncapping; destroys your body so you need True Resurrection to come back tho. Also, Balor's Death Throes for 100 damage in an AoE.

But that's boring. What I'd want? Geas on my killer to bring me back to life without losing a level (so True Resurrection). Karmic justice of sorts. Then, once resurrected, I can kill them.

Fax Celestis
2010-09-10, 12:40 PM
I was thinking a contingent ring of fire for my earth dwarf druid (earth domain). "The floor is now lava. I'll see you in Hell."

Leeham
2010-09-10, 12:43 PM
Animate dead! I may be dead, but my corpse will eat your brains!

Oracle_Hunter
2010-09-10, 12:47 PM
Or, better yet, a Geas to resurrect me and then give me my stuff back.
I like this one, though the Geas needs to be more specific.

Perhaps "Deliver my body and all of its current possessions in person to the High Priest of EvilGod." That way there's a good chance that the PCs will snuff it when they say hi to the High Priest. And if you've paid up your Evil Union Dues, you may at least be restored as a powerful free-willed Undead even if you're not resurrected.

Volthawk
2010-09-10, 12:48 PM
How about Mindrape? :smallamused:

Frosty
2010-09-10, 12:50 PM
There's already spell called "Death Throes" that's level 5 Wiz/Clr; 1d8 damage/CL in 30' radius, uncapping; destroys your body so you need True Resurrection to come back tho. Also, Balor's Death Throes for 100 damage in an AoE.
It's not boring if you're also a 10th level Jade Pheonix Mage :smallwink:

Also, what was that one Wu-Jen spell that made you semi-godly for like a minute and then you die?

Coidzor
2010-09-10, 12:59 PM
Animate dead! I may be dead, but my corpse will eat your brains!

Create (Greater) Undead. Now I'm a Mummy Lord, time for stage 2 of the boss fight!

Thought, with the Draconomicon rules, having some dragon corpses to get animated and break out to fight some more would also be pretty nifty.

...Can you make traps activated by a desecrate effect?

Flickerdart
2010-09-10, 01:10 PM
If psionic powers were in, Mind Seed would also be an option. Look at my body, now at yourself, now back at me. You're not me, but you can be me if you fail this will save.

dsmiles
2010-09-10, 01:12 PM
If psionic powers were in, Mind Seed would also be an option. Look at my body, now at yourself, now back at me. You're not me, but you can be me if you fail this will save.

I lol'd.
But seriously, no takers on the platypus reincarnation? C'mon...duck bill, mildly toxic spurs...what's not to love about such a cute little critter?

Hague
2010-09-10, 01:19 PM
Yeah, there's that one Wu Jen spell that Frosty mentioned called Transcend Mortality that grants you DR 30/epic, energy resistance (all five) 50, SR 21+ caster level, immunity to ability damage, energy drain, poison, and death effects, +10 to saving throws. However, since it doesn't heal you or bring you back to life, it wouldn't be a very good contingent on death spell.

Create (Greater) Undead. Now I'm a Mummy Lord, time for stage 2 of the boss fight!

Thought, with the Draconomicon rules, having some dragon corpses to get animated and break out to fight some more would also be pretty nifty.

...Can you make traps activated by a desecrate effect?

Sure. You can make beneficial and psionic traps too. For instance, one trap mentioned in Dungeonscape uses specific Arcane marks sighted by the trap to apply beneficial effects to monsters. The trap doesn't activate without the appropriate mark and only activates on those with marks that the trap can see. You have to add read magic to the trap for it to notice invisible marks, however. PCs can potentially hijack the trap by faking the arcane mark. To make a trap that only functions on effect of desecrate you'd have to add a detection spell (perhaps a researched one) that detects the effect to your trap. I'd say detect evil would be good enough.

Good traps for instance are ones like purge invisibility as a resetting effect every round.

Tyndmyr
2010-09-10, 01:19 PM
Wings of flurry?

I like the idea of taking everyone around me with me when I go.

In practice, I'd rather have my remains teleported to a prearranged lawful neutral temple, with whom I have previously left gold for a rez.

Volthawk
2010-09-10, 01:20 PM

Admittedly, that would probably be better than Mindrape for this.

Person_Man
2010-09-10, 01:21 PM
Major Image of you reading your last will and testament, explaining how the person who killed you was really your long lost brother/sister. (Cue dramatic music).

Hague
2010-09-10, 01:30 PM
Contingent magic jar seems like a good idea too. It's feasible too. Maybe make it a heightened contingent magic jar for better resistance to abjurations and defenses.

gallagher
2010-09-10, 01:32 PM
i dunno about y'all, but a contingent prestidigitation is all i need to keep the bloke of my things

Moriato
2010-09-10, 01:36 PM
I lol'd.
But seriously, no takers on the platypus reincarnation? C'mon...duck bill, mildly toxic spurs...what's not to love about such a cute little critter?

<Morbo> REINCARNATE DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY </Morbo>

At least not anymore. In 3.0 the list was full of furry creatures, but in 3.5 it's all humanoids. Not counting "Other" on a roll of 100, or houseruling.

dsmiles
2010-09-10, 01:40 PM

At least not anymore. In 3.0 the list was full of furry creatures, but in 3.5 it's all humanoids. Not counting "Other" on a roll of 100, or houseruling.

Heck, I never updated the list from 1e when I played/DM'd.

Caphi
2010-09-10, 01:41 PM
A wish for my family and/or friends.

What?

Zaydos
2010-09-10, 01:45 PM
Contingent Sanctify the Wicked. If you're going to kill me I'm going to use a spell to make you regret it, and one that doesn't need conscious direction on how I change you like Programmed Amnesia and Mindrape. Or contingent Gate on a demon lord. I won't be there to control him, but I'm sure he'd enjoy some free time on the Plane.

Vemynal
2010-09-10, 04:05 PM
Contingent Maximized Sphere of Destruction? would that work?

I just like the idea of everything around me being disintegrated like a giant bomb xD

Lysander
2010-09-10, 04:20 PM
Polymorph any Object. Transform dead human into incredibly angry vengeance seeking Titan. The best part, after the spell wears off unless the Titan is utterly destroyed your corpse is still available for resurrection.

Esser-Z
2010-09-10, 04:31 PM
Contingent gate, so that killing me results in flooding the material plane with infinite solars.

AmberVael
2010-09-10, 05:02 PM
I was thinking a contingent ring of fire for my earth dwarf druid (earth domain). "The floor is now lava. I'll see you in Hell."

Contingent Reality Maelstrom, preferably one slightly modified to send people to a specific plane rather than a random plane.

"I'm taking you with me!"

Because that would be awesome. Kill someone, a hole rips open in the world, drawing everyone still alive into the depths of Hell. That way, you'll be sure to see them there. :smallamused:

Tyndmyr
2010-09-10, 09:59 PM
Genesis.

From my death, a new world is born.

RebelRogue
2010-09-10, 10:02 PM

That's why you want a maximized reincarnate :smallwink:

Coidzor
2010-09-10, 10:18 PM
Contingent Reality Maelstrom, preferably one slightly modified to send people to a specific plane rather than a random plane.

Because that would be awesome. Kill someone, a hole rips open in the world, drawing everyone still alive into the depths of Hell. That way, you'll be sure to see them there. :smallamused:

I like this one. :smallbiggrin:

Peregrine
2010-09-11, 01:43 AM
Contingent magic jar seems like a good idea too. It's feasible too. Maybe make it a heightened contingent magic jar for better resistance to abjurations and defenses.

That is actually perfect for the job. Assuming magic jar can activate fast enough to evacuate your body before you're dead dead. (And since we're allowed 9th-level spells, can I get a custom spell, greater magic jar, that explicitly activates fast enough and is also permanent?)

It's also perfect for any BBEG. So then there's no question of legality, 'cause The DM Says So. :smallwink:

Andion Isurand
2010-09-11, 04:50 AM
http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/1506/diamondsc.jpg

Well, he's also been seen with the material components for True Ressurection.

FelixG
2010-09-11, 05:12 AM

Send it to the positive energy plane :P

"You kill me and ill....HEAL YOU ALL TO DEATH MWAHAHA"

Asheram
2010-09-11, 06:06 AM

Why not True mind switch (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/mindSwitchTrue.htm)? :P Would be karmic justice beyond anything.

Tyger
2010-09-11, 06:22 AM
One of my players in a level 20 uberpower one shot game we're running is a lich with Contingent Magic Jar on destruction of his body. Theory being if his body is destroyed, he'll go into the Magic Jar, and with his having another Magic Jar memorized, be able to stay in that body whilst his phylactery makes him a new body. Not sure if it works per RAW, but I like it, and I'm the DM. :smallbiggrin:

Saintheart
2010-09-11, 08:15 AM
I'm not familiar with the ins and outs as such, but can you Contingency the Locate City Bomb?

Reminds me of Smoke's fatality in "Mortal Kombat": he drops explosives on the ground, cut to a shot of the Earth, which then blows up. "SMOKE. WINS." :smallcool:

Cogidubnus
2010-09-11, 09:42 AM
That's why you want a maximized reincarnate :smallwink:

This is an excellent idea...

Binks
2010-09-11, 10:52 AM
Why not True mind switch (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/mindSwitchTrue.htm)? :P Would be karmic justice beyond anything.

That would work really well :P. You'd get a negative level and it's expensive to prepare but if you pulled it off not only did you win...you got a body that's clearly more capable than yours since it beat you :P. Keep a thought bottle on you (or whatever that exp returning item is) and you can immediately reapply the contingency for your next fight in your new and improved body :P.

Flickerdart
2010-09-11, 10:55 AM
True Mind Switch wouldn't work - you're dead. If the contingency were keyed to "you're almost dead", then sure, but it isn't.

J.Gellert
2010-09-11, 10:59 AM
Something that kills a lot of people over a very large radius, and I'll make sure to advertise that fact before I'm even attacked.

What? You need to keep those paladins off your back when you're evil. The chaotic neutral, out-for-revenge-no-matter-the-cost types? You just turn those to your side.

The-Mage-King
2010-09-11, 11:14 AM
A Delayed (1 round) Snowcasting Flash Frost Electricity Substituted Born of Three Thunders Heightened Explosive Locate City. To hell with the landscape, I'll take it with me!

Or a Major Creation. Set to Anti-Osmium.

Take 'em with you, and all that.

Mongoose87
2010-09-11, 11:17 AM
A "Locate City" bomb directed at Cleveland. They know why.

Zanatos777
2010-09-11, 12:20 PM
Assuming evil crazy person: Contingent Intensified Widened Apocalypse from the Sky. For when you need to kill someone and the entire country (and then some). Obviously you need to epic for this. Actually...that might not be necessary, crazy stuff can be done.

Thrawn183
2010-09-11, 12:38 PM
Transmute Rock to Lava.

2xMachina
2010-09-11, 01:10 PM
Really boomy?

Maw of Chaos on death site.

Or if you can get it... Apoc from the Sky.

Zieu
2010-09-11, 01:32 PM
Genesis.

From my death, a new world is born.

Epic. I approve.

PId6
2010-09-11, 01:33 PM
If powers are allowed, Contingent Time Regression?

Shadowleaf
2010-09-11, 01:41 PM
Hideous Laughter.

Peregrine
2010-09-12, 09:36 AM
Ooh! Contingent magic mouth.

I reckon we could run a whole thread for ideas on what to have it say. :smallbiggrin:

ArcanistSupreme
2010-09-12, 12:46 PM

I reckon we could run a whole thread for ideas on what to have it say. :smallbiggrin:

See, I was going to say that, but then I realized that it's already basically contingent. And you only get 25 words. And those words will undoubtedly be unable to cover every potential death situation. I was sad when I figured this out.

dromer
2010-09-12, 01:06 PM
A Delayed (1 round) Snowcasting Flash Frost Electricity Substituted Born of Three Thunders Heightened Explosive Locate City. To hell with the landscape, I'll take it with me!

Locate city bomb delayed for one day. You only thought you won.

"I'll be back."
Or a pun, that always works. Kill them with terrible jokes.

The-Mage-King
2010-09-12, 01:08 PM
Locate city bomb delayed for one day. You only thought you won.

An excellent idea. That would work...

Coidzor
2010-09-12, 01:14 PM
See, I was going to say that, but then I realized that it's already basically contingent. And you only get 25 words. And those words will undoubtedly be unable to cover every potential death situation. I was sad when I figured this out.

In that case, you just have several of them in your BBEG lair for those occasional boss fights AND an actual contingent spell.

...Now I'm imagining a series of magic mouth traps that provide an a cappella track for the background music of the bossfight. :smalleek:

Crasical
2010-09-12, 01:52 PM
...Now I'm imagining a series of magic mouth traps that provide an a cappella track for the background music of the bossfight. :smalleek:

Veni, veni, venias,
Ne me mori facias
Veni, veni, venias,
Ne me mori facias

You can actually get the whole song with just two magic mouths. Probably not worth the exp to permanency them though.

Caphi
2010-09-12, 02:29 PM
Veni, veni, venias,
Ne me mori facias
Veni, veni, venias,
Ne me mori facias

You can actually get the whole song with just two magic mouths. Probably not worth the exp to permanency them though.

You're the BBEG, just allocate one of your minions as the Conductor and have him run the magic mouths.

true_shinken
2010-09-12, 02:47 PM
You could add extra magic mouths saying "Sephiroth!" every now and then. :smallsmile:

Coidzor
2010-09-12, 03:17 PM
You're the BBEG, just allocate one of your minions as the Conductor and have him run the magic mouths.

I... I think this makes me a horrible person, but for some reason I've just gone to the point where the villain just has a choir (mindraped or otherwise) on retainer for such purposes.

x.x

dromer
2010-09-12, 03:20 PM
It would be pretty cool if the BBEG had two contingencies. One: Magic mouth that says. "Better run while you can!", and the other is a locate city bomb aimed at the protagonists hometown.

Caphi
2010-09-12, 03:29 PM
I... I think this makes me a horrible person, but for some reason I've just gone to the point where the villain just has a choir (mindraped or otherwise) on retainer for such purposes.

x.x

The chorus is at least ten singers, spread out over an area. Hidden amidst the singers are four bards. One of them is singing inspire courage, a second inspire greatness targetting the BBEG, and a third putting a countersong on the PCs. The fourth is a standby who is spending his turns supporting the BBEG when he is not required to stand in for a singer.

Also, all ten (or more) singers are the subject of a magic aura that further serves to camouflage the actual bards, in case the PCs get clever and try and use detect magic or arcane sight.

Zeful
2010-09-12, 03:32 PM
It would be pretty cool if the BBEG had two contingencies. One: Magic mouth that says. "Better run while you can!", and the other is a locate city bomb aimed at the protagonists hometown.

Locate City is fixed from your location, you can't target anything with it.

Also, it's a circle, not a burst.

dromer
2010-09-12, 03:48 PM
Locate City is fixed from your location, you can't target anything with it.

Also, it's a circle, not a burst.

Well, darn, but it would still be pretty cool to have him do something involving destroying the PC(s') hometown(s).
EDIT: Oops, I forgot how locate city worked, thanks for telling me.

ArcanistSupreme
2010-09-12, 04:03 PM
Yeah, from a BBEG perspective magic mouth seems a lot more useful/fun. It can even be cast on minions as an alarm in the event of their deaths!

Crasical
2010-09-12, 04:26 PM
The chorus is at least ten singers, spread out over an area. Hidden amidst the singers are four bards. One of them is singing inspire courage, a second inspire greatness targetting the BBEG, and a third putting a countersong on the PCs. The fourth is a standby who is spending his turns supporting the BBEG when he is not required to stand in for a singer.

Also, all ten (or more) singers are the subject of a magic aura that further serves to camouflage the actual bards, in case the PCs get clever and try and use detect magic or arcane sight.

:(

My party are collectively known as 'You bastards' and would just fireball the lot. "They knew the risks when they took this job!"

true_shinken
2010-09-12, 05:22 PM

My party are collectively known as 'You bastards' and would just fireball the lot. "They knew the risks when they took this job!"

Yeah, that's heroic... :smallsigh:

Caphi
2010-09-12, 07:13 PM

That's all right. The singers are spread out all around the arena, and probably on a raised rim as well. I also forgot to mention that they are disguised to all look like each other (or, for bonus points, the BBEG), and possibly are randomly teleporting every round to randomize their positions. Also, all the bards are using Conceal Spellcasting and the feat that lets them work components into their singing. The goal isn't to use the regular singers as hostages, but as decoys. If the hostage effect works on the PCs, well, that's just a bonus.

Of course, you could always just use mirror image, but this way's more fun, especially if the hostage thing does work. Besides which, mirror image doesn't produce surround sound.

Crasical
2010-09-12, 07:17 PM
Yeah, that's heroic... :smallsigh:

They've enslaved a small band of kobolds by intimidating them into surrender(I try to have enemies not deeply invested in combat or facing insurmountable odds attempt to give up or flee, rather than fighting to the death), forcing them to walk around carrying all the heavy loot the party finds. The group seems to have taken the 'kobolds eat anything' line to mean 'kobolds eat anything so it's okay to let them just feed on the dire rats the party kills'. Somehow my threats to switch their alignments to 'evil' always cause a torrent of "But we didn't KILL them! That makes it the lesser evil, making the best of an unwinnable situation, ect ect". It's not like they'd be penalized in any way, though. Fighter, Ranger, Barbarian, Cleric, Wizard. Even the cleric is CN, so swapping to CE still has her within 1 step of her diety.

Coidzor
2010-09-12, 07:38 PM
No reason to let perfectly good dire rat go to waste. :smallamused: Though, really, it's just a shame there weren't any dwarves in the area to sell 'em to.

Caphi: Awesome, awesome, and more awesome.

Gan The Grey
2010-09-12, 11:13 PM
That's all right. The singers are spread out all around the arena, and probably on a raised rim as well. I also forgot to mention that they are disguised to all look like each other (or, for bonus points, the BBEG), and possibly are randomly teleporting every round to randomize their positions. Also, all the bards are using Conceal Spellcasting and the feat that lets them work components into their singing. The goal isn't to use the regular singers as hostages, but as decoys. If the hostage effect works on the PCs, well, that's just a bonus.

Of course, you could always just use mirror image, but this way's more fun, especially if the hostage thing does work. Besides which, mirror image doesn't produce surround sound.

If it were me, I'd have the BBEG retreat to a special auditorium to host the climactic final encounter. Chained ten feet off the ground encircling the room are somewhere between 8 and 12 prisoners. As soon as the party enters the room, the BBEG snaps his fingers, and each of the prisoners spasm and gasp, their eyes flying open to reveal a sickly green light burning forth from within. Their lips move, hesitantly at first, their voices weak and husky from dehydration. Green light flashes between parched lips with each forced word. Soon, the party realizes that each of the prisoners is singing, and each singing a different song at that, their steadily intensifying voices a discordant mishmash of operatic wailing and hate-filled chanting.

Some are just people. Some are bards. And while they are tools of the BBEG, they are also prisoners. It is highly likely they are dominated or controlled by some other infernal means. Killing them means walking a fine line, and each attack targeting them is one that isn't focusing on taking down the real threat...

PId6
2010-09-12, 11:18 PM
Some are just people. Some are bards. And while they are tools of the BBEG, they are also prisoners. It is highly likely they are dominated or controlled by some other infernal means. Killing them means walking a fine line, and each attack targeting them is one that isn't focusing on taking down the real threat...
"I fireball the room. Are they all dead yet?" :smallwink:

Binks
2010-09-12, 11:26 PM
True Mind Switch wouldn't work - you're dead. If the contingency were keyed to "you're almost dead", then sure, but it isn't.

Well yeah but if we're going to get into trivialities like when it goes off you might as well just bring up the 'no spells/powers of higher than 6th level' part of contingency :P.

A geas would be fun. Even better would be an impossible geas, something specific but just about impossible to accomplish like 'acquire 1,000,000gp and toss it into a volcano' so that they basically take damage and are sickened everyday. Oh your killer will live...but they won't enjoy their life one bit after beating you :P. Of course a dispel takes care of it, but there's probably some way to make it workable...

Knaight
2010-09-12, 11:26 PM
Contingent Mordenkain's Disjunction. Sure, you took me down, but you aren't profiting from it. For that matter, you don't need magic items anymore.

DragoonWraith
2010-09-12, 11:29 PM
Hmm. Lich researches horrible spell of summoning Cthulu or whatever.

Puts it in a Contingency spell set to "if my phylactery is destroyed".

Watch everyone squirm.

Zaydos
2010-09-12, 11:33 PM
Hmm. Lich researches horrible spell of summoning Cthulu or whatever.

Puts it in a Contingency spell set to "if my phylactery is destroyed".

Watch everyone squirm.

This just leads to the heroes taking out Cthulhu (or whatever). Therefore you must do it.

Gan The Grey
2010-09-12, 11:37 PM
"I fireball the room. Are they all dead yet?" :smallwink:

Dang. I spend all that time writing out that awesomeness as this is all I get? Geez.

Oh, and no self-respecting BBEG would own an auditorium THAT small. Not very epic, ya dig?

Caphi
2010-09-12, 11:41 PM
Dang. I spend all that time writing out that awesomeness as this is all I get? Geez.

Oh, and no self-respecting BBEG would own an auditorium THAT small. Not very epic, ya dig?

Yeah, that. The singers are spaced at least ten feet from each other. In addition, one or more of the bards is playing a countersong that catches four or five of the bards/decoys in the aura and virtually guarantees that they make their save. Since all of the bards can also cast while singing (or simply allow the song to linger for 5-10 rounds), they are also free to dispel or use ruin delver's fortune.

Schylerwalker
2010-09-12, 11:43 PM
I like the idea of Maw of Chaos. If it were maximized, does it do infinite damage, as it has no level cap? Just sayin'...

I just like the idea of the parties finally killing the BBEG...and then a rent opens up reality and devours everything in sight! Muahaha!

RebelRogue
2010-09-12, 11:54 PM
I like the idea of Maw of Chaos. If it were maximized, does it do infinite damage, as it has no level cap? Just sayin'...
Maximize Spell does not work that way!

Tyndmyr
2010-09-12, 11:57 PM

I just like the idea of the parties finally killing the BBEG...and then a rent opens up reality and devours everything in sight! Muahaha!

Only if you have an infinite caster level.

Zeful
2010-09-12, 11:57 PM
Maximize Spell does not work that way!

To be honest if there was a spell with an uncapped exploding die mechanic, it would. I don't know enough about the Maw to judge.

BladeofOblivion
2010-09-13, 12:08 AM

Or a Major Creation. Set to Anti-Osmium.

Take 'em with you, and all that.

I did this once for a Kobold Dragonwrought Dracolich Sorcerer. Except the Contingency was "when I leave this plane." He then Plane Shifted Away. Hilarity Ensued. That same character built a fortress of Permanencied Prismatic Walls on the negative energy plane. He killed the rest of the party too.

Veros
2010-09-13, 01:19 AM
The person who mentioned Polymorph any Object got it wrong. Contingent Polymorph any Object dead human into a Mindflayer. Due to the closeness... It's permanent! So have fun eating their brainz.

(Same Kingdom - Animal. Same Class - Mammal. Related Human - Mindflayer... That are made from human bodies. I'd say that's pretty related when it's just a symbiotic parasite tampering with humans...)

Coidzor
2010-09-13, 01:47 AM
Aberration might count as a separate thingeh.

Peregrine
2010-09-13, 09:15 AM

Huh. So it is. I thought it was just a more typical "triggered by creatures approaching, possibly limited to a certain race/individuals/whatever". That's kinda cool.

So instead, we return to Person Man's suggestion of major image (or any other illusion that suits your purpose), only with the field for possible illusions/last messages blown wide open. :smallsmile:

Contingent Polymorph any Object dead human into a Mindflayer. Due to the closeness... It's permanent!
Aberration might count as a separate thingeh.

Also, corpses (human or not) are objects... so I at least wouldn't let this be permanent (if I allow PaO at all :smalltongue: -- my players haven't reached that level yet, and in fact don't use regular polymorph either), on the grounds that you are no longer a creature.

Veros
2010-09-13, 10:32 PM
Huh. So it is. I thought it was just a more typical "triggered by creatures approaching, possibly limited to a certain race/individuals/whatever". That's kinda cool.

So instead, we return to Person Man's suggestion of major image (or any other illusion that suits your purpose), only with the field for possible illusions/last messages blown wide open. :smallsmile:

Also, corpses (human or not) are objects... so I at least wouldn't let this be permanent (if I allow PaO at all :smalltongue: -- my players haven't reached that level yet, and in fact don't use regular polymorph either), on the grounds that you are no longer a creature.

Not that it matters if they are an object or not. >=] All that matters is closeness to the two objects/creatures. Since Mindflayers are their own race created by cerebromorphosis on a human... I'd assume a human (living or dead) would be close enough for kingdom, class (mammal) and size. If not you can always snatch related which gives the same bonus as class and still get the permanent duration... Even if you count the body as an object. :smallamused: Wordings of spells are murder.

Kirgoth
2010-09-14, 01:41 AM
A spell which creates a plague of kender. Everyone on earth would hate my killer with a passion.

Peregrine
2010-09-14, 06:36 AM
I'd assume a human (living or dead) would be close enough for kingdom, class (mammal) and size.

My point was, under a certain interpretation of both real semantics and D&D rules, your corpse isn't "human". Semantics hinges on what "human" means; for the rules, "human" is a subtype of "humanoid", which is a creature type, and your body doesn't have it. QED. :smallsmile:

Esser-Z
2010-09-14, 06:39 AM
My point was, under a certain interpretation of both real semantics and D&D rules, your corpse isn't "human". Semantics hinges on what "human" means; for the rules, "human" is a subtype of "humanoid", which is a creature type, and your body doesn't have it. QED. :smallsmile:

Isn't a corpse a creature with the Dead condition? Why would it lose creature types?

Peregrine
2010-09-14, 06:45 AM
Isn't a corpse a creature with the Dead condition? Why would it lose creature types?

Because it's not a "creature", for the purposes of any effects that target or relate to creatures.

Admittedly, this is a slight deviation from the precise letter of the Rules As Written, which don't say that there's any ill effects from being Dead. They don't say that you become a corpse when you die. But I think we can assume that...

candycorn
2010-09-14, 06:47 AM
Hm.

Disjunction or Area Greater Dispel Magic.

Granted, every piece of clothing or jewelry would be some form of demon, with PaO to keep it clothing (cast twice to make it stick until dispelled)....

Esser-Z
2010-09-14, 06:50 AM
Because it's not a "creature", for the purposes of any effects that target or relate to creatures.

Admittedly, this is a slight deviation from the precise letter of the Rules As Written, which don't say that there's any ill effects from being Dead. They don't say that you become a corpse when you die. But I think we can assume that...

It's a dead creature. Dead invalidates effects that affect the living, but why would it make it no longer a humanoid?

Peregrine
2010-09-14, 06:53 AM
It's a dead creature. Dead invalidates effects that affect the living, but why would it make it no longer a humanoid?

Okay, let me put it this way.

For the purposes of polymorph any object, "living vs. non-living" trumps all other divisions of kind.

Esser-Z
2010-09-14, 09:18 AM
Fair enough!