PDA

View Full Version : Faith in the Oracle?

Elandegenerate
2010-09-10, 02:24 PM
Ok, i know that all signs point to the Oracle's prophecy being fulfilled. But i couldn't help but think last night.

The Snarl is proof that the Gods arent in complete control of the universe.

The Oracle's prophecy was from one of those Gods.

"Belkar will take his last breath(for good) before the end of the year"
"And if you dont play by their rules, you will be kicked out of the game, and in this extended metaphore, that means you die"
"Passcode: Evolve or Die."

dont get me wrong, i fully expect Belkar to die, and i expect that is how it will be played out. I hope it will be dramatic and heartfelt in someway. I'm just aware that another author might make it so that Belkar's revelation screwed up with the prophecy, that as everyone would seem to agree, if he stays a murderous bastard who doesnt care about what he does, he will eventually "get kicked out" But Shojo, Belkar's hallucination, or perhaps some intervening chaotic god changed Belkar's life. Indeed the same time i thought of this i thought of how Belkar is doing an utterly lame job of "helping" and seems to be alienating himself more in his attempts to fake growing a soul, and its starting to look bleak.

I just thought i'd mention it.
(as i suggested, I'm not suggesting he wont die, I'm just connecting those dots openly and possibly preaching to the choir)

Crisis21
2010-09-10, 02:30 PM
In your defense, we do have evidence (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0737.html) that the Oracle is capable of altering events based upon what he knows.

What I'm talking about is the panel with Xykon at the Oracle's place with the sign saying 'The Oracle is Out'. The oracle knows that Xykon is coming, probably knows that what he'll end up telling Xykon is something Xykon won't necessarily like, and that Xykon is capable of doing things that would prevent the Oracle from being raised. Solution: don't be there when Xykon comes calling.

Elandegenerate
2010-09-10, 02:34 PM
In your defense, we do have evidence (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0737.html) that the Oracle is capable of altering events based upon what he knows.

What I'm talking about is the panel with Xykon at the Oracle's place with the sign saying 'The Oracle is Out'. The oracle knows that Xykon is coming, probably knows that what he'll end up telling Xykon is something Xykon won't necessarily like, and that Xykon is capable of doing things that would prevent the Oracle from being raised. Solution: don't be there when Xykon comes calling.

I've wanted to avoid being one of the "conspiracy theorists" here (not that i disapprove heh) but you made me think "If i was an oracle who could see anything and people took my word for truth and i hated this guy....I could lie in a way to get the only people who value him to not resurrect him"

Roy and Haley are tired of him and I'd think based on Roy's personality he'd put alot of stock in the Oracle's answer and stop any attempts to risk the party to resurrect Belkar
---------------------------
Oh well, i guess as long as i dont believe the conspiracy theories its ok.

SPoD
2010-09-10, 02:56 PM

We know no such thing. All we know is that the Oracle knew Xykon was coming and hung a sign out for him. For all we know, the Oracle looked into the future and saw himself hanging a sign for Xykon. So he decided to do exactly that.

Or, that the Oracle really IS out, and Xykon coming there at the same time is a fortunate coincidence. We don't actually have evidence that he looked into the future regarding Xykon's visit at all.

Without knowing the exact nature of what the Oracle saw, this panel has no value in determining whether or not the Oracle's prophecies are malleable.

Gray Mage
2010-09-10, 04:49 PM

No he can't. If he could, then he wouldn't need to have the lizzard clerics come and raise him when Belkar or the druid killed him. He is able to react to his predictions, but not to change them. Besides, I think the Giant has already stated that the Oracle is always 100% right.

NerfTW
2010-09-10, 06:54 PM
"If i was an oracle who could see anything and people took my word for truth and i hated this guy....I could lie in a way to get the only people who value him to not resurrect him"

In my opinion, the Oracle really didn't have to do anything for that outcome. Roy and Haley have both mentioned that Belkar is a necessary evil, and it's heavily implied that it would take something pretty major to make them raise him if he dies.

Being good, they aren't going to contribute to his death (also, they don't want him seeking revenge, also mentioned by Roy or Haley, I forget who), but it's been clear for a long while that they'd rather replace him than raise him if he dies.

Winged789
2010-09-10, 07:06 PM
Well ignoring silly unlikelyhoods, like interperateing "for good" to mean "for the forces of good", or Belkar gets the ability to survieve without breathing, I think it is pretty clear that he is going to die. The question is what level of magnificent bastard he will reach before it and how will it happen? I don't think the oracle was wrong, misslead, or up to anything, there's just no gain in it. frankly if the oracle could manipulate events based on predictions, there are way better ways he could do it then that.

Crisis21
2010-09-10, 07:31 PM
Well ignoring silly unlikelyhoods, like interperateing "for good" to mean "for the forces of good"

One problem, the exact wording is that "Belkar will draw his last breath - ever - before the end of the year" (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0572.html)

Also, I'm not saying that the Oracle has the power to circumvent his own prophecies, but that he is capable of acting on his foreknowledge, particularly when said foreknowledge directly involves himself.

He arranges to have himself raised when he ends up getting killed, starts a village for no other discernable reason than to have Belkar's mark of justice activate when Belkar kills him, and avoids the guy (Xykon) who we know is both willing and capable of keeping people from being raised from the dead.