PDA

View Full Version : Epic spell help

Lateral
2010-09-10, 04:35 PM
'Kay, so I'm making some epic spells, just for fun, but I need some help with some stuff. Namely, how much should I lower the Spellcraft DC to make a spell with the destroy seed only affect nonliving matter?

Tetrasodium
2010-09-10, 05:43 PM
'Kay, so I'm making some epic spells, just for fun, but I need some help with some stuff. Namely, how much should I lower the Spellcraft DC to make a spell with the destroy seed only affect nonliving matter?

I'd say it depends on what specifically you are trying to do and in what manner. Can you give more details about the intended spell?

aeauseth
2010-09-10, 05:52 PM
Not sure if DC would be modified at all. Undead is non-living and most spells do the same damage to undead as living.

Warlock does 50% damage to non-living objects.

I'm not aware of any other spell with a target of nonliving. Shouldn't it be object or undead instead?

Are there any spells that do more damage to objects than creatures? Or spells that are lower level for objects, yet a similar higher level spell for creatures? I don't think so.

I agree with Lateral that you need to provide a bit more detail.

Lateral
2010-09-11, 07:15 PM
The spell uses the Destroy seed to deal 20d6 damage to inanimate matter in a 160-ft radius. So far, it's basic seed, except for a +22 to the spellcraft dc (+10 to go from target to 20ft radius, +4 to go to 40ft radius, +4 to go to 80ft radius, +4 to go to 160ft radius). I wanna make it, instead of either targeting creatures or inanimate matter, only affect inanimate matter- obviously a downside, but how much? Also, it now occurs to me, does doubling the radius a bunch of times double by the original or the new? That is, does it go 20, 40, 80, 160 or 20, 40, 60, 80?

BobVosh
2010-09-12, 01:03 AM
Are there any spells that do more damage to objects than creatures? Or spells that are lower level for objects, yet a similar higher level spell for creatures? I don't think so.

I agree with Lateral that you need to provide a bit more detail.

Shatter does. I think shout does as well, but I'm not sure.

Tetrasodium
2010-09-12, 09:35 AM
The spell uses the Destroy seed to deal 20d6 damage to inanimate matter in a 160-ft radius. So far, it's basic seed, except for a +22 to the spellcraft dc (+10 to go from target to 20ft radius, +4 to go to 40ft radius, +4 to go to 80ft radius, +4 to go to 160ft radius). I wanna make it, instead of either targeting creatures or inanimate matter, only affect inanimate matter- obviously a downside, but how much? Also, it now occurs to me, does doubling the radius a bunch of times double by the original or the new? That is, does it go 20, 40, 80, 160 or 20, 40, 60, 80?

I'm not sure that it would lower the DC at all, it might even raise the DC since you could use it indiscriminatly without worrying about who is around you as long as potential fall damage or flight is no issue with them.

Lateral
2010-09-13, 03:43 PM
I'm not sure that it would lower the DC at all, it might even raise the DC since you could use it indiscriminatly without worrying about who is around you as long as potential fall damage or flight is no issue with them.

No, there is no possible way it would raise the DC, it can't kill anything! Its only purpose is to vaporize buildings. Being able to kill > safety for allies pretty much ALWAYS, and especially in this case, because A) you aren't firing it nearby; it has a range of 12,000 feet; and B) potential fall damage is only "not a problem" to high level adventurers and flying creatures.