PDA

View Full Version : Grr Google Maps!

musicalbookworm
2010-09-10, 04:46 PM
WARNING: may contain significant amounts of venting

I just spent about 75 minutes biking to get to a bicycle shop so I could get my brakes fixed on my bike. I get there, and what do I find? Nothing. I go on for a block past what Google Maps said, and still don't find it. So I head back, thinking they've gone out of business. It takes me another 75 minutes (not including water/restroom stops) to get back. When I do, out of curiosity, I look it up in street view. Apparently the shop is actually 2 blocks off from where Google said it would be. In other words, 1 block past how far I went.

Now I smell like a dirty boy scout after summer camp, and have nothing to show for it.:smallmad:

This makes me pretty frustrated with Google maps, cause its not like its the first time this has happened, where something on the map was blocks from where it really is in real life, which matters a TON if, like me, you walk or bike everywhere.

So I was wanting to know, does anyone else use Google maps regularly and if so, have you run across this problem?

Marnath
2010-09-10, 04:48 PM
I also use it, but since I always call ahead to find out if a place is really there, I don't have this trouble.

Pyrian
2010-09-10, 04:50 PM

You didn't bring the address? :smallconfused: 'Cause, y'know, that's how we old folks used to find things.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2010-09-10, 05:59 PM
Yeah, I use the address, I just use Google Maps to figure out roughly where the place is.

Vaynor
2010-09-10, 06:20 PM
Should've used Street View. :smallbiggrin:

Syka
2010-09-10, 06:42 PM
The map view in most map programs is usually at least a LITTLE bit off. I've noticed this in just driving around and thus don't trust it, lol. This is why it is good to look at the actual, worded directions. Those are rarely off. And having, ya know, the address on hand is handy.

Jack Squat
2010-09-10, 07:18 PM
All the mapping programs used to put my house about 200 yards off of where it actually is. Not just Google Maps and Mapquest, but GPS units too. I learned awhile back to make note of addresses and to have a back-up map.

EleventhHour
2010-09-10, 07:19 PM
Dear old Yellow Pages. How much more reliable are thee.

:smallsmile:

Felixaar
2010-09-10, 07:27 PM
As much as this is frustrating, basic human communication would've helped - "Hey, is there a bike shop around here?" would've solved everything.

Can't say I've had any real problems with Google Maps. The only thing is that unless you select "Walking", directions to an aiport typically lead you to the Airport's long term parking facility.

Danne
2010-09-11, 12:38 AM
Yeah, I've had some trouble with Google Maps. My first solo trip on the Boston T was to find a movie theater. After making a wrong turn (due to vague wording) and then walking right past the street I was supposed to turn onto (because it directions didn't list it!) I eventually managed to find it...after the movie had started. :smallsigh:

thubby
2010-09-11, 01:33 AM
considering how much they actually map out, its a miracle they're as accurate as they are.

Lillith
2010-09-11, 11:11 AM
Me and my boyfriend used Google Maps for our vacation trip by car. After mapping the entire route out it said that the distance in total would be about 1200 miles. Turned out it was -3000- miles. Yeah, gas wasn't cheap.

Tonal Architect
2010-09-11, 11:52 AM
Relying on google maps while on a road trip increased distances in as much as a 400 miles detour. I finally realized the maps were off when the application instructed me to turn in a direction in order to enter a highway; three miles later, the highway turned out to be a dirt road, but I kept going until a river made all progress impossible. That's when I gave up, turned back and asked for directions to closest town.

I think such applications are good to give you an idea of where you are, but relying on them all the way might be a bad idea.

Nomrom
2010-09-11, 11:38 PM
I use Google maps for everything. Usually, the place is marked a little off on the map, but I've gotten pretty good at finding things once I'm in the general area, and unlike most guys, I'm not adverse to asking directions. Once, I think I might be off, I'll just pull into the nearest place and ask how to get where I want to be. Never really had any major problems, except in brand new areas that haven't been updated yet.