PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Help me come up with a sidequest

Edge of Dreams
2010-09-10, 06:28 PM
The party: a Maenad Paladin//Wilder and a Warforged Factotum//Artificer

Level 3.

Setting: Eberron

Scenario: The Paladin has just found out about his family's ancient enemy (a Rakshasa), and is on his way to visit a seer to find out more. Along the way, I'd like to give the party some sort of sidequest, possibly a dungeon crawl. The players are pretty new to the game, and the Warforged will pretty much go along with anything the Paladin wants to do.

So, any suggestions for plot hooks or mini-adventure ideas that can take up one to two sessions and are very very likey the paladin will actually want to investigate? I'd prefer not to just say "the ground collapses beneath you and now you're stuck in a dungeon".

Ilmryn
2010-09-10, 07:17 PM
"Oh no, random innocent orphans have been kidnapped and are held captive by orcs/evil cultists/horrible mosters/a miscellaneous malevolent force of doom/whatever you want in the dungeon over there." That should work; it may be a bit cliche...

Kalaska'Agathas
2010-09-10, 07:33 PM
If there's a mountain pass between them and their destination, have it be somehow blocked. You haven't mentioned how they're traveling, but I'm going to suspect either Lightning Rail or Orien Caravan. If it's the former, then have a problem occur, the switching station has been overrun, that sort of thing. That will get them into a dungeon-esque environment for a proper dungeon crawl, against CR appropriate enemies, and doesn't feel like railroading (or, perhaps, it does. It is, after all, a switching station for the elemental train).

If it's trade caravan, have it be that the pass is actually a tunnel, and in the darkness of the tunnel something keeps snatching caravan passengers or merchants. The Orien ask you adventuring types to deal with it (as you're likely already guarding, and probably the most capable guards of the bunch). This could be done really well, actually, just one enemy (or two, as in The Ghost and the Darkness (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116409/)) who are apparently hunting for sport or spite, attacking from the shadows. Don't let your players see what it is, just let them see its works: mutilated travelers, screams of terror and pain, the smell of death and decay. That'd be an excellent session.

Edge of Dreams
2010-09-10, 07:38 PM
If there's a mountain pass between them and their destination, have it be somehow blocked. You haven't mentioned how they're traveling, but I'm going to suspect either Lightning Rail or Orien Caravan.

Pretty good idea here. They just left a friend's home near the edge of the Mournland, so they're going to be traveling by foot a while before they get to the nearest Lightning Rail station. I may take this idea for a later session, though.

I did have another idea just now, related to the standard 'save the person' idea above. A kalashtar child that accidentally fell into a cave or abandoned underground complex crying out for help telepathically as the party walks past. Think that makes sense?