PDA

View Full Version : Is it ever worth it to up something other than your casting stat?

WarKitty
2010-09-10, 10:09 PM
Just curious - stat started as pumped as you can do without LA and I just got a Tome of Clear Thoughts. I know there's more details than that, but is it ever worth pumping any other stat on a caster?

DementedFellow
2010-09-10, 10:10 PM
Dex is always handy as is Con. But those are the general rules when it comes to the caster

Points go to primary stat, then con, then dex.

Reluctance
2010-09-10, 10:13 PM
With your every 4 levels bonus? Not really. Maybe if you can make use of an odd stat and you don't expect the campaign to last another four levels, but in general it's not worth the tradeoff.

With items? More hit points are always good. Better initiative and AC doesn't suck. Boosting your saves never hurt anybody, either.

And if your DM doesn't smack you upside the head for attempting wish loops, higher stats are always better than lower ones. Why not get +5 to everything?

Tyndmyr
2010-09-10, 10:15 PM
Dex is always handy as is Con. But those are the general rules when it comes to the caster

Points go to primary stat, then con, then dex.

Thats pretty much it. The others are not worth the cost. Sure, I'll tack on an enhancement bonus to say, cha, if I want to boost UMD or wis/int(the non casting stat) for skills or will saves, but I'm not gonna spend much on getting it high. Certainly not enough to get a Tome for.

WarKitty
2010-09-10, 10:20 PM
Here's the deal. I just hit level 4, I have a -1 to each of strength, dexterity, and charisma. A +1 to any of those would remove the penalty. Wisdom (casting stat) is an even number, all those are odd.

DementedFellow
2010-09-10, 10:22 PM
Here's the deal. I just hit level 4, I have a -1 to each of strength, dexterity, and charisma. A +1 to any of those would remove the penalty. Wisdom (casting stat) is an even number, all those are odd.
What build are you going for and what is your stat currently?

Coidzor
2010-09-10, 10:23 PM
I'd say Dex unless you have a particular use for Charisma, if you do it at all.

WarKitty
2010-09-10, 10:24 PM
What build are you going for and what is your stat currently?

Build is a PF druid (for those who aren't familiar with PF, basically wild shape got nerfed), casting focus. WIS 23, INT 15, CON 10, DEX 9, STR 9, CHA 9. Anthro bat that makes heavy use of flying to save my hit points.

Jack_Simth
2010-09-10, 10:25 PM
Just curious - stat started as pumped as you can do without LA and I just got a Tome of Clear Thoughts. I know there's more details than that, but is it ever worth pumping any other stat on a caster?
Ever? Yes. On a Gish build, or a buff-bot, or a utility caster (AKA, builds where saves don't matter), then pushing your secondary and tetriary stats can be a good move (and if you're talking magic item usage to boost stats, then definitely yes, as the opportunity cost is lower).

Keld Denar
2010-09-10, 10:26 PM
What is the anticipated max level of the game? Because if you don't think you'll make it to your next 4th level atribute bump, it would be worth it to put it somewhere where you'll get a benefit from it. I'd say probably Dex, just to remove the negative Init modifier (going first is winning first!).

If you expect to level up 4 more times, or if your DM plays with odd bonus Enhancement items, definitely put it in your casting stat.

DragoonWraith
2010-09-10, 10:28 PM
Build is a PF druid (for those who aren't familiar with PF, basically wild shape got nerfed), casting focus. WIS 23, INT 15, CON 10, DEX 9, STR 9, CHA 9. Anthro bat that makes heavy use of flying to save my hit points.
To what degree does the nerfed Wild Shape obviate your Str and Dex scores?

Honestly, Con 10 seems like a much bigger problem than Str 9, Dex 9, or Cha 9.

Why did you get 15 Int?

WarKitty
2010-09-10, 10:40 PM
To what degree does the nerfed Wild Shape obviate your Str and Dex scores?

Honestly, Con 10 seems like a much bigger problem than Str 9, Dex 9, or Cha 9.

Why did you get 15 Int?

Nerfed wild shape means I can get a +2 to one of strength or dex when in wild shape. I got the INT because I'm addicted to my skill points - there's no 4x skill points at first level anymore, so there's several things I needed to max out.

Basically the druid now has to choose at creation whether you want to be a fighter or a caster, you can be good at one but not both. I'm the designated party healer/buffer/controller.