PDA

View Full Version : Sorcerer Speak Languages?

zephiros
2010-09-10, 10:45 PM
Just wondering, is it possible through feats or any other means to gain speak languages as a class skill for sorcerer?

iDM
2010-09-10, 10:55 PM
if it were me, I would make it a class skill for all classes anyway, no reason bards can one-up wizards and other classes at learning languages. Not very helpful, but there you are.

Mando Knight
2010-09-10, 10:59 PM
no reason bards can one-up wizards and other classes at learning languages.

Yeah, there is. Bards are bards. Being the designated face of the party is part of what makes them significantly less spoony, and having Speak Language as a skill helps them with that a lot.

Orbin Dules
2010-09-10, 11:15 PM
Bards are bards. Being the designated face of the party is part of what makes them significantly less spoony, and having Speak Language as a skill helps them with that a lot.

I dislike Bards as the party face, because to me it's very predictable. I much prefer the more distinct classes as the face, like the barbarians, or the monks, or the Paladins. In my opinion, bards are good for buffs, a handful of magic, an making the party money with insanely high preform checks.

zephiros
2010-09-10, 11:16 PM
I was actually drawing the comparison against the Dragonfire Adept, I wasn't even aware that Bards had the skill, though I doubted there should be any reason why they shouldn't.

Anyway, my DM may be open to the idea of simply not caring, I suppose we'll see.

Mando Knight
2010-09-10, 11:20 PM
I dislike Bards as the party face, because to me it's very predictable. I much prefer the more distinct classes as the face, like the barbarians, or the monks, or the Paladins. In my opinion, bards are good for buffs, a handful of magic, an making the party money with insanely high preform checks.

The Face is what the bard class is. Based on medieval storytelling entertainers (who may have been knights-errant themselves), they're natural diplomats. Diplomacy is at least as important to the heart of what a bard is as their dabbling in every skill they can.

Orbin Dules
2010-09-11, 12:02 AM
Then again, in my opinion, there is nothing more funny than watching the Half-Orc Barbarian roll a natural twenty on his diplomacy roll,getting the lord to cut you a deal, and then have the barbarian do the rest of the talking for the rest of the campaign.

gorfnab
2010-09-11, 01:30 AM
Just wondering, is it possible through feats or any other means to gain speak languages as a class skill for sorcerer?
Feats:
Polyglot - Dragon Magazine #323
Skill Knowledge - Unearthed Arcana
Aereni Focus - Players Guide to Eberron
Gift of Tongues - Races of Faerun