PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Two-Handed Fighter Question

Shadowbane
2010-09-10, 11:50 PM
From the SRD:

Devastating Blow (Ex)

At 19th level, as a standard action, a two-handed fighter may make a single melee attack with a two-handed weapon at a –5 penalty. If the attack hits, it is treated as a critical threat. Special weapon abilities that activate only on a critical hit do not activate if this critical hit is confirmed.

This ability replaces Armor Mastery.

Does this stack with...

Weapon Mastery (Ex)

At 20th level, a fighter chooses one weapon, such as the longsword, greataxe, or longbow. Any attacks made with that weapon automatically confirm all critical threats and have their damage multiplier increased by 1 (×2 becomes ×3, for example). In addition, he cannot be disarmed while wielding a weapon of this type.

So does that mean that for a paltry -5 to attack I can automatically critical hit if I'm using the Two-Handed Fighter variant?

Fingerlessfist
2010-09-11, 12:45 AM
Possibly. Does the 20th-level ablity only happen on a critical hit?

regardless, I'd allow it because it sounds cool and you wouldn't be as likely to hit with your weapon.

Crow
2010-09-11, 12:56 AM
Is there a heavy pick or scythe you can use? Quadruple multiplier could be useful.

Fingerlessfist
2010-09-11, 01:07 AM
Oh **** SON!

That may actually lift the fighter's tier a level....

Player3
2010-09-11, 03:22 AM
Oh **** SON!

That may actually lift the fighter's tier a level....

I don't think the tiers work with Pathfinder classes. Besides, the capstone abilities are designed to be powerful.

Obviously this works best with the scythe, giving it a 5x threat every round at a -5 (which will auto-confirm).

At 20th level, power attack gives +12 damage for -6 on attack rolls, with the two-handed fighter's greater power attack ability, this is doubled to +24 for a -6. The Overhand Chop ability doubles strength bonus on the single attack, giving +20 damage assuming a strength score of 30.

Let's also assume you also have a +5 scythe, and adding in +4 from weapon training, that adds up to be 10d4 + 265 damage.

The attack roll for this would be 1d20 + 28, which needs an average roll to hit CR 20 monsters.

Fingerlessfist
2010-09-11, 04:50 AM
Ouch...

Mind you, that muc power is not nessarly a bad thing, looking back on prismatic wall and the like.