PDA

View Full Version : Villain Brainstorming?

Jogi
2010-09-11, 12:26 AM
Hello there playgrounders! It's been a long time since I last posted, and I've been trying since then to come up with a good idea for a campaign. The problem is that I am not an experienced DM and I don't really have good ideas yet. That being said, I come to you all in hopes that you will lend me ideas!

Oh some info I think would be usefull to those willing to help:
- My group has 3 players, one powergamer, and two guys who usually do some roleplay.
- We're playing Pathfinder.
- I need a recurrent villain.
- Im specially fond of dungeons and I've been looking forward to using undead.
- The game will probably be set on Forgotten Realms. If not this, then it will be Dragonlance.

So, anything anyone can come up with can be helpfull!

Fingerlessfist
2010-09-11, 01:22 AM
lv 20+ Half-fiendish half-dragon medium-sized goblin monk.

This BBEG had been experimented on by a Lich and was risen to a level of power far beyond the norm for his Impish kin, gaining a new perspective on the world as a result, and discoving how much he grew in power after every kill. After disposing of his former master, he set about working on raising the goblin's place in the world, one genocide at a time.

As a result he has hired mad wizards and sorcerers to argument his fellow goblins, and has personally abducted entire villages one by one in order to provide slave labor and experience grinding for his legion. His final goal before he invades the world is to plunder hell itself, the unending leigions of dammend souls providing perfect grinding material.

The hero's should first meet his forces by being manhandled by a single goblin fighter.:smallbiggrin:

edit: scratch monk, I just read the Brawler PEACH. Brawler all the way, baby!

thegurullamen
2010-09-11, 02:59 AM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5281866&postcount=45

Scroll down to the Vote Up A Villain section. Each one is great. For a campaign of awesomeness, give Silver Hellstar a view.

Volthawk
2010-09-11, 05:58 AM
What level will the campaign be?

playswithfire
2010-09-11, 06:14 AM
Well, if you want him to use undead, I put a BBEG together a while ago for the Character Creation thread that was a Human (gestalt) Sorcerer 6/Pale Master 10//Crusader 6/Sorcerer+1/Battle Dancer 1/Crusader +8 and his undead cohort, a Human Ghost LA 3/Cloistered Cleric 11//LA 2/Bard 10/Swordsage 2 (not quite that order).

I think I still have the sheets somewhere.

Jogi
2010-09-11, 01:36 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone. I forgot to mention that the my intention is a low lv campaign. I did take a look at the Vote Up a Villain and found Prince Meridius to be very interesting (yes, the Silver Hellstar is great but too epic for now lol). Yet I don't know how I could merge merfolk and undead in a low level campaign. Any thoughts?

@Fingerlessfist & playswithfire: thanks to you both, and sorry that I forgot to mention something as important as the campaign level.

akma
2010-09-11, 01:48 PM
This might be helpfull: http://www.giantitp.com/articles/rTKEivnsYuZrh94H1Sn.html

Here is an idea: What about a villain that does evil things as a matter of survivol? That the villain is hunted himself, by some force that he can not defeat or avoid for long? That all his villainous acts are mere attempts to survive, eithar by gaining power to defeat his enemy or by trading something to the being that hunts him so the being would leave him alone. That being could be ultimately the real final villain, or possibly a figment of the own crazed villain imagination.

Jogi
2010-09-11, 04:42 PM
This might be helpfull: http://www.giantitp.com/articles/rTKEivnsYuZrh94H1Sn.html

Here is an idea: What about a villain that does evil things as a matter of survivol? That the villain is hunted himself, by some force that he can not defeat or avoid for long? That all his villainous acts are mere attempts to survive, eithar by gaining power to defeat his enemy or by trading something to the being that hunts him so the being would leave him alone. That being could be ultimately the real final villain, or possibly a figment of the own crazed villain imagination.

Oh yes, I've seen this article, very good inded.

What about some kind of ancient magic/curse that forces him into acting evil or perish? I think that, aligned with some sort of personal goal, could turn him into a great enemy. And since he would not be too powerfull, it would make up for his struggle for some sort of power.

akma
2010-09-12, 05:48 AM
What about some kind of ancient magic/curse that forces him into acting evil or perish? I think that, aligned with some sort of personal goal, could turn him into a great enemy. And since he would not be too powerfull, it would make up for his struggle for some sort of power.

But how did he get the curse, and what exectly does it force him to do?

Jogi
2010-09-12, 10:15 AM
But how did he get the curse, and what exectly does it force him to do?

Hmmm the curse forces him to bath in human blood daily. Also, he strengthens his army by turning the bodies into undead.

About how he was cursed im thinking of him being a former servant of an evil deity. When he turned to good his god wouldn't let him go and cast the curse on him.

But now I gotta explain why he doesn't just kill himself.:smallcool:

EDIT: I actually came up with this: he used to be part of a cult of an evil god. Every week they were to perform sacrifices and share the blood of their preys. This way a ritual cast on the blood would strengthen their loyalty bounds. One day something happened: his daughter was brought by his fellow cultists to be sacrificed and when he would not kill her he repent of his past sins. He tried to save her, but his former blood brothers would not let him. Furious, he managed to kill all of them, yet not in time to save his daughter. In tears, he took her blood away from the altar in a magical vial. When he was about to leave, the corpses of the cultists all spoke in a dark voice with secret words: he was cursed for slaying his brothers. If he wanted his daughter's soul to be released from the evil domains in the afterlife he had a task: he was to perform daily sacrifices, one hundred, for each of his slain brothers and revive them.

EDIT 2: He did kill them all.

akma
2010-09-12, 10:24 AM
But now I gotta explain why he doesn't just kill himself.:smallcool:

Even a good guy might prefer to kill others to save himself then to simply die. Maybe he also added justification to his acts, starting by killing only bad people, and the bad people got less bad as the time past until he lost his moral.

Jogi
2010-09-12, 10:46 AM
Even a good guy might prefer to kill others to save himself then to simply die. Maybe he also added justification to his acts, starting by killing only bad people, and the bad people got less bad as the time past until he lost his moral.

Yes, that can be too. I edit my post ^^ take a look if you can!

EDIT: Now im thinking, he has different goals. He doesn't want to revive his enemies nor continue with all these deaths. He plans to revive his daughter from her blood, and for that he will need a very specific spell. Now a small twist here: the more the PC's stop him from getting his spell he will have revived more of the evil cultists and the larger will be his undead army. Anyway, his plans are:

- Find the spell.
- Revive his daughter.
- Kill whatever cultists have been revived.

Oh, I thought of this:
In his crimsom throne on the bloody marshes
With tears his face washes
When the blood of hundreds he seizes
Then the Bloody Tyrant will cease

akma
2010-09-12, 04:30 PM
the more the PC's stop him from getting his spell he will have revived more of the evil cultists and the larger will be his undead army.

You`ll have to do it a bit carefully so the players wouldn`t feel like you screw them.