PDA

View Full Version : Could someone provide a sample build?

gooddragon1
2010-09-11, 04:21 AM
So, there's no XP penalty for multiclassing in the game I'm in and I'd like to play a stupidly funny build. The idea is that I want to take 1 level in every class with a full BAB progression that also has a good fortitude save (fighter, ranger, paladin, barbarian, etc...). However, core lists only 4 (plus warrior I guess for 5). Can someone propose a build for up to 20 different ones if they exist? I'll even go with prestige classes if needed.

I was thinking:

Fighter 1/Ranger 1/Barbarian 1/Paladin (of freedom maybe might not mess with barbarian but it's okay if it does) 1/Warrior 1/...

It's okay if multiclassing messes up most of the class abilities. I just want to make something funny.

Peregrine
2010-09-11, 04:48 AM
Okay, the SRD has Barbarian, Fighter, Paladin, Ranger... Warrior... Arcane Archer, Blackguard, Duelist, Eldritch Knight, Horizon Walker... that's ten before I need to break out the books and/or CrystalKeep. Although Eldritch Knight and Arcane Archer will be hard to fit in -- or impossible, rather -- without some arcane-casting full-BAB class(es).

Oops, out of time, I'll come back and... well, no doubt find someone's answered in full before me. But I'll come back to the question later anyway. :smallsmile:

playswithfire
2010-09-11, 06:57 AM
Off the top of my head: Duskblade, Knight, Swashbuckler, Samurai, Hexblade, Warblade, Crusader. And, of course, a bunch of prestige classes, but the prereqs might be a problem.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-09-11, 07:32 AM
Ironically, a one level dip in 20 different classes wouldn't have an XP penalty anyway, since you'll never have a two level difference between two classes. The XP penalty only restricts the viable, flavorful builds that they seemingly intended to exist, such as an Ultimate Magus, Sorcadin, Eldritch Disciple, etc. That the silly builds that only take one or two levels in a dozen different classes avoid the XP penalty, while the builds that would actually fit a character background that they even designed prestige classes around would suffer the XP penalty, is just one of many reasons to not use that rule at all. You would probably be better off saving your silly one-level-dips-build for a game that uses XP penalties so you can demonstrate just how silly that rule is.

As for the build itself, I'd probably make it a Dex-based build and be sure to include Swashbuckler to get Weapon Finesse. Use the Wild Shape Ranger (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#ranger) variant to get Fast Movement as the Barbarian class feature at the first level. Definitely use a race that can qualify for the feat Able Learner. I'd go something like this:
Wild Shape Ranger 1/ Swashbuckler 1/ Duskblade 1/ Fighter 1/ Crusader 1/ War Mind 1/ Sanctified Mind 1/ Warblade 1/ Dragon Slayer 1/ Abjurant Champion 1/ Bloodstorm Blade 1/ Master Thrower 1/ Dark Hunter 1/ Occult Slayer 1... I'm running out of steam, but that's the basic idea. Just look through every book you can get your hands on for prestige classes that have full BAB and either no/few feat prerequisites or that require feats you'll already have for another prestige class.

Edit: Come to think of it, you could instead go with a two-level-dips-build, and that still wouldn't ever suffer an XP penalty because no two classes would ever be more than one level apart. In that case, 2nd level abilities like Divine Grace would be something to look at. I'd use standard Ranger in this case, with the Strong Arm fighting style from Dragon 326, which grants Power Attack at the 2nd level. Go ahead and use Barbarian, and definitely use Paladin of Freedom. Wolf Totem Barbarian (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#wolfTotemClassFeatures ) with Knock-Down (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/divineAbilitiesFeats.htm#knockDown) would add quite a bit to the build. Ranger 2/ Wolf Totem Barbarian 2/ Paladin of Freedom 2/ Duskblade 2/ Abjurant Champion 2/ Spellsword 2/ Dragon Slayer 2/ Warblade 2/ Bloodstorm Blade 2/ Crusader 2 would be a complete build, and can even get Aura of Chaos at level 20. A lawful aligned option would be something like Ranger 2/ Paladin 2/ Duskblade 2/ War Mind 2/ Sanctified Mind 2/ (Illithid) Slayer 2/ Abjurant Champion 2/ Spellsword 2/ Warblade 2/ Crusader 2.

DanReiv
2010-09-11, 10:02 AM
Seconded on 2 levels dips (not for all classes tho). Still funny (10+ classes :smalleek: ) but a bit more effective, on the other hand you need a sorc/wiz/wu-jen level to get shield and have an efficient Abjurant Champion.

I'd toss in rogue 2 for lots of starting skills and evasion too.

CE build

Rogue 2/Ranger 2 (wildshape)/Fighter 2 (Dungeoncrasher)/Paladin of Slaughter 2/ Barb 1 (lion totem)/Hexblade 2 /Battle Sorc 1 /Abj Champ 2 /Warblade 2 /Blackguard 2 /Crusader 2.

Almost full BAB, heavy HP, 2xcha to save (3x to will), 3x vs arcane spell (4x if targetting will), rage, pounce, evasion, +6 swift shield & all the ToB stuff. STR/CHA/CON main stat. Pick prereqs, able learner, imp bull rush, knockback and whatever you feel.

Soranar
2010-09-11, 10:10 AM
Too many restrictions for a decent build, you'll be struggling to just find enough classes to work with

good BAB+ good Fort + 1 dip only will be very underwhelming

Peregrine
2010-09-11, 11:08 AM
Okay, how's this? I've taken all the SRD's PC classes and the prestige classes that can be qualified for. That means having to take three levels in most of them, as well as Duelist not having a good Fort save, but this will still be the first actually statted-up build so far posted. :smalltongue:

Still unfinished. Ranger levels come first for maximum skill points. I hope to throw on a name and backstory just for kicks.

NE Medium humanoid (human)
Init +5; Senses darkvision 60 ft.; Listen +1, Spot +1
Aura despair (-2 to enemy saves in 10 ft.), moderate Evil
Languages Common
[hr]
AC 16, touch 16, flat-footed 16 (+3 Dex, +3 dodge); Dodge, Mobility, canny defense, enhanced mobility, trap sense +1, uncanny dodge
hp 131 (20HD; 5d8+3d12+12d10+20)
Immune fatigue (and treat exhaustion as fatigue instead)
Fort +21, Ref +15 (+16 vs. traps), Will +9; dark blessing
[hr]
Speed 40 ft. (8 squares); fast movement
Melee rapier +21 (1d6+1/18-20) and dagger +21 (1d4/18-20); Two-Weapon Fighting, Weapon Finesse
Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
Base Atk +20; Grp +21
Atk Options Cleave, Improved Sunder, Power Attack, favored enemy (humanoid [human]), rebuke undead 5/day (cleric level 1st, +4 check, 2d6+3 HD), smite good 2/day (+2 attack, +3 damage)
Special Actions lay on hands (6hp/day), rage 1/day (6 rounds; +4 Str, +4 Con, +2 Will, -2 AC), wild empathy
Spell-Like Abilities At will—detect good
Blackguard Spells (CL 3rd; save DC 11+level) 1st—magic weapon, summon monster I
[hr]
Abilities Str 13, Dex 16, Con 12, Int 10 (16), Wis 12, Cha 14
SQ poison use
Feats Cleave, EnduranceB, Improved SunderB (Fighter 2), Power AttackB (Fighter 1), TrackB, Two-Weapon FightingB, Weapon FinesseB (human bonus), 6 more
Skills (36+6+6+12+6+12+8 skill points) Hide 5 ranks, Knowledge (geography) 8 ranks (2 of them cc), Knowledge (religion) 5 ranks, Perform (oratory) 3 ranks (all cc), Tumble 5 ranks (all cc), 50 more
Possessions weapons plus headband of intellect +6

gooddragon1
2010-09-11, 04:26 PM
Ironically, a one level dip in 20 different classes wouldn't have an XP penalty anyway, since you'll never have a two level difference between two classes. The XP penalty only restricts the viable, flavorful builds that they seemingly intended to exist, such as an Ultimate Magus, Sorcadin, Eldritch Disciple, etc. That the silly builds that only take one or two levels in a dozen different classes avoid the XP penalty, while the builds that would actually fit a character background that they even designed prestige classes around would suffer the XP penalty, is just one of many reasons to not use that rule at all. You would probably be better off saving your silly one-level-dips-build for a game that uses XP penalties so you can demonstrate just how silly that rule is.

As for the build itself, I'd probably make it a Dex-based build and be sure to include Swashbuckler to get Weapon Finesse. Use the Wild Shape Ranger (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#ranger) variant to get Fast Movement as the Barbarian class feature at the first level. Definitely use a race that can qualify for the feat Able Learner. I'd go something like this:
Wild Shape Ranger 1/ Swashbuckler 1/ Duskblade 1/ Fighter 1/ Crusader 1/ War Mind 1/ Sanctified Mind 1/ Warblade 1/ Dragon Slayer 1/ Abjurant Champion 1/ Bloodstorm Blade 1/ Master Thrower 1/ Dark Hunter 1/ Occult Slayer 1... I'm running out of steam, but that's the basic idea. Just look through every book you can get your hands on for prestige classes that have full BAB and either no/few feat prerequisites or that require feats you'll already have for another prestige class.

Edit: Come to think of it, you could instead go with a two-level-dips-build, and that still wouldn't ever suffer an XP penalty because no two classes would ever be more than one level apart. In that case, 2nd level abilities like Divine Grace would be something to look at. I'd use standard Ranger in this case, with the Strong Arm fighting style from Dragon 326, which grants Power Attack at the 2nd level. Go ahead and use Barbarian, and definitely use Paladin of Freedom. Wolf Totem Barbarian (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#wolfTotemClassFeatures ) with Knock-Down (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/divineAbilitiesFeats.htm#knockDown) would add quite a bit to the build. Ranger 2/ Wolf Totem Barbarian 2/ Paladin of Freedom 2/ Duskblade 2/ Abjurant Champion 2/ Spellsword 2/ Dragon Slayer 2/ Warblade 2/ Bloodstorm Blade 2/ Crusader 2 would be a complete build, and can even get Aura of Chaos at level 20. A lawful aligned option would be something like Ranger 2/ Paladin 2/ Duskblade 2/ War Mind 2/ Sanctified Mind 2/ (Illithid) Slayer 2/ Abjurant Champion 2/ Spellsword 2/ Warblade 2/ Crusader 2.

The 2 level dip sounds interesting, especially the lawful idea... but it looks like you've got 15 on the 1 level dips. I think that should be enough for my purposes for a while. Thanks to everyone though for providing ideas.

Gavinfoxx
2010-09-11, 04:37 PM
http://chet.kindredcircle.org/pdf/DnD3.5Index-Classes-Base.pdf

Go look around there!

Do you want to do this with or without prestige classes?

Here are some prestige classes:

http://chet.kindredcircle.org/pdf/DnD3.5Index-Classes-Prestige.pdf

Note that these pdfs are NOT complete!

Zaydos
2010-09-11, 04:43 PM
Full BAB + Fort:
Ranger, Fighter, Paladin of Freedom, Barbarian, Warrior, Duskblade, Samurai, OA Samurai, Swashbuckler, Soulborn, Warblade, Crusader.
That's 12 levels and from there you can take a lot of PrCs. Not effective in the least but take Pious Templar for its Mettle ability and get Steadfast Determination (Con to Will saves but also no longer fail Fort saves on nat 1s) and you are almost immune to Fort based effects.

gooddragon1
2010-09-11, 05:44 PM
Full BAB + Fort:
Ranger, Fighter, Paladin of Freedom, Barbarian, Warrior, Duskblade, Samurai, OA Samurai, Swashbuckler, Soulborn, Warblade, Crusader.
That's 12 levels and from there you can take a lot of PrCs. Not effective in the least but take Pious Templar for its Mettle ability and get Steadfast Determination (Con to Will saves but also no longer fail Fort saves on nat 1s) and you are almost immune to Fort based effects.

That's very nice. Liking the extra bonuses mentioned a lot. I was only really looking for full bab and fort but any extra synergy is always a good thing.