PDA

View Full Version : More computer issues!

shadow_archmagi
2010-09-11, 08:56 AM
Okay, so, this is wierd.

I was going to play Worms Reloaded but I decided I wanted to record the match. I remembered that my past syncing difficulties in FRAPS had been caused by having my speakers and my mic recording at different sampling levels, so I changed my speakers to match my mic. That caused all sound to cut out; I guess that warning about "APPLICATIONS MAY NOT WORK CORRECTLY" was more than just a warning. So I told it to restart. It asked if I wanted to give programs a chance to shut down; I said "**** it, force restart" because I wasn't running anything I really needed saved.

When it reboots, it asks for my password and I give it my password same as always. Only now my desktop is gone. And a lot of my icons. IE is pinned to taskbar. Uh oh.

So, immediately, I ask myself "Why is Starcraft 2 gleaming and happy on my desktop, while Worms Reloaded is nowhere to be seen? What is this madness?"

So I open my recycle bin and the things I threw away yesterday are still in there. Upon closer inspection, it seems that only profile-related things are gone: My Pictures, My Videos, My Documents, My Downloads.

My Downloads. Oh god. Oh GOD. In a fit of denial, I order the computer to search for the first file I know to be in my downloads: Blade Runner. The search... finds it. I open it. Plays fine.

Apparently all my files still exist in C:\Users\Peter\downloads

Isn't that where I am? I click "my downloads" and drop a file in, and then hit properties to see where the file is.

C:\Users\TEMP\downloads

what is this I don't even

Rawhide
2010-09-11, 09:05 AM
Have you tried restarting the computer?

...restarting again, I mean.

Zeofar
2010-09-11, 09:06 AM
Well, to begin with, if something is in your recycle bin, you can put it back. Just click Shift+Delete the things you DON'T want, and click "restore all" (you may need to right click on the recycle bin icon). Is is possible that the things in the recycle bin are shortcuts? Did you run a "desktop cleanup wizard"?

CrimsonAngel
2010-09-11, 09:07 AM
Have you been watching dirty videos? :smallconfused::smalltongue:

shadow_archmagi
2010-09-11, 09:09 AM

No. That's what the laptop is for.

Well, to begin with, if something is in your recycle bin, you can put it back. Just click Shift+Delete the things you DON'T want, and click "restore all" (you may need to right click on the recycle bin icon). Its possible that the things in the recycle bin are shortcuts? Did you run a "desktop cleanup wizard"?

No, the things in the bin are some old FRAPs videos I realized I didn't need anymore since I'd already added them to youtube. I only mentioned them because it was odd that things from YESTERDAY were intact while much older files were missing.

Have you tried restarting the computer?

...restarting again, I mean.

Too scared. Its a 170 GB folder that I can't regain while at college.

Rawhide
2010-09-11, 09:12 AM
Too scared. Its a 170 GB folder that I can't regain while at college.

If it's what I think it is, it should help fix the problem. If it isn't, no harm done.

shadow_archmagi
2010-09-11, 09:13 AM
If it's what I think it is, it will fix the problem. If it isn't, no harm done.

O.K.

but I'm murdering XP and Thanatos if this goes bad, just so you know.

xp194
2010-09-11, 09:14 AM
O.K.

D-:

But I like my spine!

Rawhide
2010-09-11, 09:15 AM
O.K.

XP?
XP uses "Documents and Settings" not "Users". Are you sure you don't have Vista or 7?

Ok, xp194...

shadow_archmagi
2010-09-11, 09:18 AM
XP?
XP uses "Documents and Settings" not "Users". Are you sure you don't have Vista or 7?

Ok, xp194...

SUCCESS!

Oh man, this is the best feeling

It's like waking up to discover your underwear is all cold and sweaty and awful and then finding a clean pair and it's soft and warm and comforting.

xp194
2010-09-11, 09:20 AM
XP?

Ok, xp194...

Yeh, I get that a lot.

Ironically I use Vista.

And Yay it worked I can keep my spine!

shadow_archmagi
2010-09-11, 09:22 AM
CELEBRATION TIME (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7movKfyTBII&ob=av3e)

Rawhide
2010-09-11, 09:25 AM
Ok, this is what I think happened.

System processes and applications occasionally maintain connections to registry keys in the user profile after a user logs off. In those cases the user session is prevented from completely ending.
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7security/thread/2f1e40ee-2a8f-4ebe-8df2-b857cd873f66

When you force quit those applications, they did not get a chance to close their connections to the registry hive. Thus, when you restarted, it was unable to open the profile and created a TEMP one.

CrimsonAngel
2010-09-11, 09:30 AM
Ok, this is what I think happened.

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7security/thread/2f1e40ee-2a8f-4ebe-8df2-b857cd873f66

When you force quit those applications, they did not get a chance to close their connections to the registry hive. Thus, when you restarted, it was unable to open the profile and created a TEMP one.

Oh hey, you're a candle jack in the play-

Runestar
2010-09-13, 07:24 AM

Now that you mention it, I have noticed that certain "questionable" videos in my download folder tend to get deleted after some time (duration varies). Conversely, everything else stashed in another super-secret folder is untouched.

Not sure if this is some coding inherent in the downloaded file, or the result of my dad's policing. :smalltongue:

wxdruid
2010-09-14, 06:47 PM
Hopefully nobody minds if I ask my computer related question here rather than starting another computer question thread.

The desktop we have, has a virus or something. I can barely get it to do anything.

I have run avast and malwarebytes and malwarebytes found ~309 objects infected. I had it delete them. Restarted the computer, still the same problem. The registry files seem to have problems and a pop up window in the start bar comes up every few seconds saying "Windows reports that computer is infected. Antivirus software helps protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. Click here for the scan your system might be at risk now."

Then another window pops up in the middle of the screen asking if I want to start my antivirus. I click no and the process repeats itself.

I can't open very much (task manager, add/delete programs, system restore, etc) and now I can't get CDs to run in the disc drive.

Errors that have shown up: ipodservice.exe, mshta.exe, rundll32.exe, taskmgr.exe, verclsid.exe, rstrui.exe

IE windows randomly pop up going to websites that I never go to.

The desktop runs Windows XP Home Edition.

Runestar
2010-09-14, 07:22 PM
Seems like some scammer is trying to trick you into paying for the virus to be removed.

Try AVG. You want have to download it onto a thumbdrive from another PC and run it from there, if your computer is proving especially sluggish.

wxdruid
2010-09-14, 07:47 PM
Yeah, I've figured out it's Security Suite idiocy. Somehow, catlover got it on there since I don't regularly use that computer. I put it in safe mode and am running malwarebytes again. *sigh*

Perhaps tomorrow I'll try avg after I wake up. :smallsigh:

peterpaulrubens
2010-09-14, 07:47 PM
Hello, Conficker Worm (http://news.cnet.com/conficker-also-installs-fake-antivirus-software/).

Scroll to the bottom for a removal guide.

wxdruid
2010-09-14, 09:13 PM
The picture for the security scam looks similar, same background...

I downloaded the programs and saved them to disc. I'll try that long list of instructions when I have the time.