PDA

View Full Version : Fight With Your Ears, Feel With Your Heart, Kill With Your Sword (PrC 3.5, P.E.A.C.H)

unosarta
2010-09-11, 09:00 AM
Obligatory (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSTG4Nap3vY) Zatoichi (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyH0lmP4N7Y) links. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faKhlxFpgPk) (Note; Incredibly violent. I would not recommend for anyone viewing in a location where small children or anyone who dislikes violence strongly are located)

Blind Soldier

http://coolvibe.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/11fbc96038706494d9513c6ba1add8c3.jpg

http://coolvibe.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/blindwarrior.jpg
Kuthas Sinsinger

http://coolvibe.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/thedefendor.jpg
Kuthas, before he lost his eyes

”Being blind can be more help that hindrance, sometimes… friend.” –Kuthas Sinsinger, Blind Soldier

Blind Soldiers are the epitome of those who fight using sound and feeling. They are more often than not cliché, but some have redeemed themselves for their seemingly overdone and overdramatic style, often in similarly overdone or overdramatic style. A Blind Soldier focuses on utilizing and using his or her natural or acquired disadvantage in order to survive and even thrive in combat.
Swordsages make great Blind Soldiers, but basically any Martial class can be a Blind Soldiers, even through cross class skills, as long as they have access to the Diamond Mind, Iron Heart or Setting Sun disciplines. Other classes, such as the Fighter, Ranger, or even Rogue can benefit from the Blind Soldier prestige class, but not having maneuvers cuts down on their capabilities, and makes it much harder to qualify.
NPC Blind Soldiers are often warriors for hire, and rarely care for work with other people. They are often solitary, and antisocial. When they do join together with other classes, it is most commonly with martial classes, or classes that they think can “have their back” when they need it.
Hit Die: d10

Requirements
To qualify as a Blind Soldier, a character must fulfill the following criteria.

Base Attack Bonus: +4
Skills: Listen 8 ranks, Balance 8 ranks
Feats: Blind-Fight, Mastery of Blind-Fighting (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9318939&postcount=5)
Maneuvers: Must know 3 Diamond Mind, Iron Heart, or Setting Sun maneuvers
Special Must be blind, or have no eyes. The character may not be able to see at all, or have any ability or magical capability that allows them to see. If they do, they loose any abilities gained from this class until they regain the loss of their sight.

Class Skills
The Blind Soldier's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Martial Lore (Int), Move Silently (Dex), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Sense Motive (Wis), Swim (Str), Tumble (Dex).
Skills Points at Each Level: 4 + int

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+2|
+2|
+0|Blind Fighting, See with Your Ears

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+3|
+0|Supersensitive Hearing +1, Evasion

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+3|
+1|Extraordinary Dodge

4th|
+4|
+4|
+4|
+1|Supersensitive Hearing +2, Melodic Method (Strike)

5th|
+5|
+4|
+4|
+1|Stance of Resonance

6th|
+6/+1|
+5|
+5|
+2|Supersensitive Hearing +3

7th|
+7/+2|
+5|
+5|
+2|Sonorous Strike

8th|
+8/+3|
+6|
+6|
+2|Supersensitive Hearing +4, Elusive

9th|
+9/+4|
+6|
+6|
+3| Improved Evasion

10th|
+10/+5|
+7|
+7|
+3|Extraudial, Supersensitive Hearing +5, Melodic Method (Movement)[/table]

{table=head]Level|Maneuvers Known|Maneuvers Readied|Stances Known

1|1|1|0

2|1|0|0

3|0|0|0

4|0|1|0

5|1|0|1

6|1|0|0

7|0|1|0

8|0|0|0

9|1|0|0

10|1|1|1[/table]

Maneuvers: At 1st, 2nd, 5th, 6th, 9th and 10th levels, The Blind Soldier gain one new maneuver from either Diamond Mind, Iron Heart, or the Setting Sun disciplines. He must a maneuver’s prerequisite in order to learn it. He gains an additional maneuver readied at level 1, and at every three levels there after (4, 7, and 10). He gains a stance known at fifth level, and an additional at tenth level.

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: The Blind Soldier is proficient with all simple, and martial weapons, and light, medium and heavy armor. He does not gain proficiency with shields of any kind.

Blind Fighting (Ex): The Blind Soldier gains a bonus to all attack rolls equal to one fourth of his ranks in the Listen skill (rounded down) plus 2. So, if he had 10 ranks in listen, he would have a bonus of +4 to attack rolls. He may take 10 on the listen skill, even when under extreme distress.

See with Your Ears (Ex): The Blind Soldier may replace any skill that is used in a maneuver of the Diamond Mind, Iron Heart and Setting Sun disciplines with Listen. So, for example, if a Blind Soldier had access to the Action Before Thought maneuver (Diamond Mind), he could use his listen skill instead of his Concentration skill, as a replacement for reflex saves when he used the maneuver.

Supersensitive Hearing (Ex): Starting at level two, the Blind Soldier gains a +1 bonus to all listen and initiative checks. This bonus increases by one at level four, and increases by one every other level after that (+3 at level 6, +4 at 8, +5 at 10).

Evasion (Ex): At 2nd level and higher, a Blind Soldier can avoid even magical and unusual attacks with great agility. If he makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, he instead takes no damage. A helpless rogue does not gain the benefit of evasion.

Extraordinary Dodge (Ex): Starting at level three, the Blind Soldier gains a dodge bonus to Armor Class equal to on fourth of his ranks in the Listen skill (rounded down) plus 4. He also can react to danger before his senses would normally allow him to do so. He retains his Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) even if he is caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker. However, he still loses his Dexterity bonus to AC if immobilized. This functions exactly like Uncanny Dodge, and if the Blind Soldier had Uncanny Dodge before gaining this ability, he gains Improved Uncanny Dodge.

Melodic Method (Ex): Starting at level 4, the Blind Soldier may lose the bonus to armor class he gains from Extraordinary Dodge at any time as an Immediate action, when attacked by an opponent, and initiate a strike as a free action against the attacking opponent. The strike and the opponent’s attack and the strike hit at the same time, although both must still roll to hit. He may only initiate one strike per turn in this way. At level 10, If he would lose his bonus to Armor Class from his Extraordinary Dodge in order to initiate a strike, he may instead move up to his land speed as a free action (losing the bonus to armor in this case is still an Immediate action). The attack that provoked this action still lands, if the roll is successful. If the attack is a trip attempt, the Blind Soldier may still move up to his base land speed, but falls prone at the end of his movement if the trip attempt lands. If it does not, it has no effect.

Stance of Resonance (Ex): Starting at level 5, the Blind Soldier may, as a swift action, get rid of his current stance and assume the Stance of Resonance. While in the Stance of Resonance, the Blind Soldier gains Blindsight, and deals extra damage on each attack equal to one fourth of their ranks in the Listen skill (rounded down) plus 2.

Sonorous Strike (Ex): Starting at level seven, the Blind Soldier can, as a standard action, sacrifice a maneuver and make a melee attack. If the attack hits, he does not deal normal damage. Instead, he makes a Listen check, and his attack deals damage equal to twice that amount. Any modifiers or extra damage he would gain to the attack do not deal extra damage. The subject of the strike must make a fortitude save (DC 10 + ½ of Blind Soldier’s class levels + Wisdom or Intelligence Modifier, whichever is higher), or be deafened for 2d4 rounds.

Improved Evasion (Ex): This ability works like evasion, except that while the Blind Soldier still takes no damage on a successful Reflex saving throw against attacks henceforth he takes only half damage on a failed save. A helpless Blind Soldier does not gain the benefit of improved evasion.

Elusive (Ex): Starting at level 8, as long as the Blind Soldier is not immobile, and has moved at least 20 feet in a round, they cannot be flat footed in that round.

Extraudial (Ex): At level 10, the Blind Soldier can even hear through silence. The Blind Soldier can pierce through a magical silence effect by making a Listen check (DC 10 + Caster Level + Spell Level). This does not dispel the silence effect, but allows the Blind Soldier to hear as normal. If another silence spell is cast, he must make another Listen check (DC 10 + Caster Level + Spell Level).

PLAYING A BLIND SOLDIER
Blind Soldiers are melee combatants that focus on dealing damage or defensive maneuvers, via Extraordinary Dodge and other defensive abilities.
Combat: Most combats start with the initiation of Stance of Resonance, and then the Blind Soldier moves into melee range, and starts initiating strikes. If they feel that they have maneuvers that are not usable against certain opponents, they might convert them into Sonorous Strikes.
Advancement: Most often, characters that enter this class go back to the base class that they entered with, because there are very few classes that actually work similarly to, or even in tandem with, the Blind Soldier. One might be the Eternal Blade prestige class.
Resources: Being a Blind Soldier is not something that really comes with benefits. Blind Soldiers are not trained with another person, they are years of self study and inner-focus, then applied to combat. They often try to overcome their disability enough that they do not have the chance to make friends or allies along the way. Once they have really become Blind Soldiers, they might try to make friends, but it is an alien experience for most.

BLIND SOLDIERS IN THE WORLD
“That old man looks like he should be in front of a fireplace somewhere, not out here, in the middle of a brawl. Wh—wait, is that a sword? But, he is blind! There is no way he could actua—Jim! He just sliced Jim’s arm off! Get away from hi—” The Last words of one Tobias Eliasdaron.

Blind Soldiers are singular and solitary. They are hermit like, and rarely, if ever, interact with civilization more than walking through a town, or to buy some food. They live in desolate places, seeking to hone or finely tune their skills. Those who see them tend to underestimate their ability, and the oldest members of this class are seen as doddering old fools, who carry around swords because they want to pretend they are brave.
Daily Life: Most Blind Soldiers have several intense training routines that they undergo pretty much every day. When they are out adventuring, in order to gain even more skill, or to put their skill to use, they do not necessarily use every single training regimen, but they strive to utilize at least one.
Notables: Kuthas Sinsinger, killer of the cold grave, and the perpetrator of the Massacre at Hound’s Peak, is a wanted criminal in five countries, and one of the most infamous Blind Soldiers. His chief foe, another Blind Soldier, Lilia Galesong, has been chasing him down for decades, leading to a giant game of cat and mouse.
Organizations: There are no active organizations dedicated towards the Blind Soldier class, and Blind Soldiers are pretty much free to enter any organization they please. Although, some organizations are simply not possible, such as thieves or assassin’s guilds, and magical conclaves. But they do make excellent soldiers, and are known as great bodyguards.

NPC Reaction
Most NPCs see the Blind Soldier as a blind person, simply wanting attention by trying to get into fights, or by carrying around a big sword. They think the youngest of Blind Soldiers are simply trying to “overcome” their disability by playing soldier, and the oldest are simply blind old men, who are trying to relive their glory days. This would be anything but the truth.

BLIND SOLDIERS IN THE GAME
Blind Soldiers make ambush attempts generally very hard. They can usually hear the ambush before it comes, warn allies, or just attack the ambush prematurely. Even if the ambush has a spellcaster who is capable of utilizing Silence spells, once the Blind Soldier reaches level 10, they become pretty much useless.
Adaptation: Because Blind Soldiers represent the embodiment of a fighting style, and have no organizations or major roles in a politically minded society besides that of the soldier, they are relatively easy to fit into any campaign, either as an individual, or as a specific group of Blind Soldiers.
Encounters: Encounters with the Blind Soldier class generally are not peaceful. The Blind Soldier might be testing out his or her skills, or they may have been insulted by a party member, but most have a short fuse, and this usually leads to combat. Most Blind Soldiers will fight to the death, and have no qualms with dying in combat. In fact, a couple actively seek death, either for the prejudice and bigoted things that people say against them, or because they have lost one too many comrades in combat, and seek release. They still would want a good fight though, one worthy of killing them.

DracoDei
2010-09-11, 09:31 AM
Haven't even read the class, but I did want to drop by to say that the when I read the first phrase of the title, I was struck by the mental image of an anime style elf... except with even LONGER ears, beating people up with his prehensile pointy ears (maybe even stabbing them with the improbably sharp tips)...

[/Thread derail]

unosarta
2010-09-11, 09:34 AM
Haven't even read the class, but I did want to drop by to say that the when I read the first phrase of the title, I was struck by the mental image of an anime style elf... except with even LONGER ears, beating people up with his prehensile pointy ears (maybe even stabbing them with the improbably sharp tips)...

[/Thread derail]

I must admit, that was an image I also first thought of when I wrote the title.

Evincar
2010-09-11, 09:48 AM
Always wanted to play a blind character, but doing it effectively is pretty hard. This prestige class may help!

Two comments:
I'm not totally up-to-speed with all the D&D books, so a reference of the used books (like, where do maneuvers come from) would be helpful.

Also I'd split some of the abilities into different ones, to make it clearer. I.e. the Extraudial both lets you listen through magical silence and does something to moving as a free action. I'd make those two different abilities, especially because the moving feels like something more complex than the listening part.

Other than that, I'm not one for proposing balances. I'm very interested in where this PrC is going!

unosarta
2010-09-11, 03:25 PM
Always wanted to play a blind character, but doing it effectively is pretty hard. This prestige class may help!
I also created a flaw and a feat for blind characters, in order to give them a little bit more power, here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9318939&postcount=5)

Two comments:
I'm not totally up-to-speed with all the D&D books, so a reference of the used books (like, where do maneuvers come from) would be helpful.
OK.

Also I'd split some of the abilities into different ones, to make it clearer. I.e. the Extraudial both lets you listen through magical silence and does something to moving as a free action. I'd make those two different abilities, especially because the moving feels like something more complex than the listening part.
Yeah, I can do that. And the moving was basically Extraordinary Dodge, but instead of initiating a maneuver, they move up to their move speed. It basically makes it impossible for anyone to full attack the Blind Soldier, unless they have friends who can limit movement. But yeah, I can change it.

[Edit]: ... and updated. Any comments?