PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite Race to play?

ExtravagantEvil
2010-09-11, 10:06 AM
I think we all have our tried and true races we play at any occasion possible, or at least ones we think are A. Mechanically great, B. Great Roleplay tools, C. Just cool to us, or hopefully D. an admixture of all 3 of these.

So just list your favorite(s) to play and state why

I'll start this off by saying I'm tied with Dwarves and Warforged.

Dwarves: Mechanics and Roleplay: I did always like the bearded drunk short person idea, and occasionally just taking the dwarven culture fluff to odd ends. Also +2 Con never looks bad.

Warforged: An admixture: I think its awesome never worrying of Old age, sleep, food, or breathing, insta armor, and a robot personality, and constantly reminds me of Isaac Asimovs's work.

Snake-Aes
2010-09-11, 10:26 AM
Changelings are way high on the "cool" and the "handy" side. By far the race that I enjoy roleplaying the most when my characters are the boisterous kind of cunning.

Soranar
2010-09-11, 10:30 AM
strongheart halfling

because being small is always fun

the bonus saves, the attitude , the incredible throwing powers

and there is something oddly satisfying about riding a dog in combat

Elfin
2010-09-11, 10:31 AM
I've always liked playing elves; probably related to my great love of Tolkien.
Unfortunately, it seems that they're known for being "pointy-eared bastards"... and even more unfortunately, all except Snow Elves/Wood Elves have basically terrible stats.

Froogleyboy
2010-09-11, 10:36 AM
I usually play either Elves or Dwarves. They both have terrific flavor, and I hate playing humans. I guess it's because, in my fantasy, I won't be forced to live such a short life

Volthawk
2010-09-11, 10:39 AM
Changelings are way high on the "cool" and the "handy" side. By far the race that I enjoy roleplaying the most when my characters are the boisterous kind of cunning.

Agreed. I quite like kobolds too, I suppose because of the whole draconic slant to them.

Fax Celestis
2010-09-11, 10:46 AM
I like earth dwarves, silverbrow humans, whisper gnomes, d'hin'ni, celadrin, poisondusk lizardfolk, and shifters.

But I love dromites. I love them so much.

LOTRfan
2010-09-11, 10:48 AM
Warforged: Oddly enough, I find it easier to associate with a character like this. Quiet, logical, emotionless (at least I role play it so it looks that way on the surface). :smallconfused:

Halfling: I love Halflings, I don't know why. Perhaps its because I am a Tolkien geek. They are my automatic alternative to human. They are just so cool.

Pterran: I loved dinosaurs when I was a kid, and I guess that sort of carried over. I found these pterodactyl (not exactly dinosaurs, but close enough) people at athas.org and immediately loved them. I mean, their pterodactyls, treehuggers, AND have no LA. Perfect.

Mongoose87
2010-09-11, 10:51 AM
Human, for reasons twofold:

1. I'm addicted to the extra feat and skill points.

2. I'd rather have the character be defined by who they are and what they do than what race they are.

Snake-Aes
2010-09-11, 11:04 AM
Human, for reasons twofold:

1. I'm addicted to the extra feat and skill points.

2. I'd rather have the character be defined by who they are and what they do than what race they are.

Doesn't your reason #1 kinda define humans as "extra feat and skill points", which is what you state to abominate in #2?

Mongoose87
2010-09-11, 11:13 AM
Doesn't your reason #1 kinda define humans as "extra feat and skill points", which is what you state to abominate in #2?

Ummm, no. Fluff-wise, humans are something of a carte blanche - they do everything. So, where an elven barbarian would always be noted as being oddity, unless a wood elf, a human barbarian would be purely defined by how I play the character.

Snake-Aes
2010-09-11, 11:15 AM
That's the thing. the reason you state for playing humans is that they are what they want, which is true for all other races.
In fact, they are defined as the ones that can do whatever they want better than anyone else, so they do have a clearly defined purpose. Though Illumians beat them to that.

Tonal Architect
2010-09-11, 11:20 AM
The Fey'ri. Honestly, they're by far my favorite. Shapeshifting, is one of the nicest abilities a social character can hope to have, allowing for the PC to interact with the party and with NPCs in amazing ways. The SLAs ain't too shabby, either, and the ability to fly is good, too. At last, but not least, I enjoy roleplaying characters who are confortable with evil, while not truly being evil all the way... The Sharess-worshipping Fey'ri I once roleplayed was truly great in this aspect, with plenty of room to manifest his more imoral side in positive ways, while still being viewed in a ambiguous moral light.

Recently, it came to my attention that Human Shade is a nice race to play, too, though mostly for their combat skills. They make good somewhat good thieves, and are for from being as overpowered as I've heard them mentioned as being. Really, my character got knocked out of battle easily as soon as someone had the "brilliant" idea to turn on the lights. He was just a sitting duck, then. In a dark enviroment, though... They're truly astonishing.

Mongoose87
2010-09-11, 11:20 AM
Ok, I'm saying I like humans because there's (mostly) no stereotypical human/non-human character types, so I can play what I want, without relying on those stereotypes to define my character.

You seem to be saying that not having stereotypes is a stereotype, therefore I am doing just that. That seems really silly, to me.

Snake-Aes
2010-09-11, 11:25 AM
Ok, I'm saying I like humans because there's (mostly) no stereotypical human/non-human character types, so I can play what I want, without relying on those stereotypes to define my character.

You seem to be saying that not having stereotypes is a stereotype, therefore I am doing just that. That seems really silly, to me.

Their stereotype is their alleged flexibility of choice. Well, whatever. I think your reasoning is faulty, but I guess we don't work by the same logic.

Knaight
2010-09-11, 11:29 AM
Human, mostly because I avoid D&D like the plague and don't use multiple races frequently. That said, of the D&D races, Warforged are certainly up there, for reasons already mentioned by others.

AtlanteanTroll
2010-09-11, 11:37 AM
Human. I like to play like I am in real life.

pflare
2010-09-11, 11:41 AM
Half-elf. I love to spin a melodramatic backstory of being negected by one (or both) parents

Snake-Aes
2010-09-11, 11:41 AM
Human. I like to play like I am in real life.

A commoner1/expert 2? :p

pflare
2010-09-11, 11:44 AM
Snake-Aes why the human hate?

balistafreak
2010-09-11, 11:46 AM
Lesser Mechanatrix. Because nothing is awesomely awkward as screaming out in pleasure as thousands of volts course through your body, healing you from -9 to max in a single instant.

Snake-Aes
2010-09-11, 11:46 AM

No human hate at all.

Mordokai
2010-09-11, 11:58 AM
Half elves, because they create a beautiful mix of elven grace and human perseverance and I simply adore the flavor. Also, I like the idea of people being equally comfortable in just about any society they enter. Guess a loner in me welcomes a change of pace :smalltongue:

PId6
2010-09-11, 11:59 AM
Lesser Tiefling. I enjoy the flavor of tiefling (though it really should be a template). Lesser Tiefling gets the same great mechanical bonuses and the same flavor all without the annoying level adjustment, and even keeps me from being tempted towards Polymorph shenanigans. What's not to like?

Magic Myrmidon
2010-09-11, 12:00 PM
I'd like to say elf. I mean, I use an elf for probably 75% of my characters. But they certainly don't fit the mechanically great criteria. And I never really use the elf fluff (like nature, superior, etc.) in roleplaying. I just like the more dextrous, less bulky and strong races. And elves are kinda known for that.

Knaight
2010-09-11, 12:00 PM

Somehow I think that had less to do with human, and more to do with the phrase: "I like to play like I am in real life".

rat-morningstar
2010-09-11, 12:09 PM
dwarves

they have beer, beards, axes, beer, and more beards

who could ever resist playing a real man?

Terazul
2010-09-11, 12:13 PM
Changelings. Tibbits. Warforged. Humans w/Templates and calling myself other things, like +Feral and calling it Shifter. Thri-Kreen for shenanigans. The usuals.

B1okHead
2010-09-11, 12:22 PM
Pterran: I loved dinosaurs when I was a kid, and I guess that sort of carried over. I found these pterodactyl (not exactly dinosaurs, but close enough) people at athas.org and immediately loved them. I mean, their pterodactyls, treehuggers, AND have no LA. Perfect.
These guys sound really cool. What book are they from?

Aotrs Commander
2010-09-11, 12:25 PM
Notably in 3.5, almost all of our parties (that I both run for and play in) are human; sometimes even entirely. Equally notably I the one 4E game we played no-one was human. Draw your own conclusions...

Eldan
2010-09-11, 12:28 PM
Let's see... for the lower levels and less monster-friendly games (which is not a criticism, really, different rules for different games) , I enjoy tieflings and changelings. Also other Planetouched, if they fit.
On the higher levels, I like playing all manners of fey. I had a lot of fun as a Pixie Knight once (not the knight class, knight flavour. Honourable, questing warrior). Fey usually make good stealth/magic hybrids, which tend to be my favourite characters anyway.

LOTRfan
2010-09-11, 12:35 PM
These guys sound really cool. What book are they from?

They're not from an official book. They are from athas.org, because they were A major part of the campaign setting. I'm sure they could be adapted to most settings though.

They are in the Dark Sun Player's Handbook (http://www.athas.org/products/ds3) and their version of the Monster Manual, Terrors of Athas (http://www.athas.org/products/toa).

CockroachTeaParty
2010-09-11, 12:37 PM
I play almost exclusively humans. To me, most other races are just humans with particular physical and personality quirks forced upon them. If I'm going to play a non-human, I prefer something decidedly alien. Thri-kreen, warforged (to an extent), illithids...

However, I do enjoy halflings and kenku, because I love sneaky, scoundrel-ish types, and sometimes I like to break out of the human mold.

Still, there's something bad-ass about humans, to me. Sure, they're only going to live eighty years or so, but I'm already a 15th level wizard and I'm only 25. Only took me a few months of solid adventuring. What took you so long, Mr. Elf? You're 145, and you're still only level 3?

Also, Vecna. Apotheosis is always a worthy character goal.

Remmirath
2010-09-11, 02:16 PM
I've always liked playing elves; probably related to my great love of Tolkien.

Same here. Mechanically they're not great in D&D, but they're also not really definitively worse than any other no level adjustment species (save perhaps the human if you're just desperate for an extra feat and skill points), and grey elves are pretty good for some things. I almost never pick what species to play based on mechanics anyhow.

I'll only play elves in campaigns where they aren't strictly adhering to typical D&D elf flavour, though, because I'm not fond of it. Luckily for me, my usual game doesn't do that, and so I have many elven characters.

So, my fallback for other campaigns - Githyanki. I just think they're awesome. Sure, the getting killed off around 16th level thing is a pain, but I find that usually in the games I'm in either they end before then anyhow or they're high enough level it's no longer a problem.

Also, in high enough level campaigns to reasonably support it, dragons. Tarterian, Battle, red, green, brass, black, and Pyroclastic being my usual choices within that.

I tend to play either mages or fighters with the occasional thief, and if I'm not doing one of those I'll sometimes pick a different species. Still, that's rare.

Zaydos
2010-09-11, 02:23 PM
I used to love elves but they were always second place to my favorites:

Dwarves.

Honorable warriors, loyal and true, just and righteous, capable of righteous fury against their enemies, but capable of mercy as well (unless you're an orc or goblin, then you must burn). They're like paladins played well (except for the orc/goblin hate, which is justifiable).

Next is Humans. Partially because in 3.X elves suck and humans are the best, and partially because elf fluff has degenerated with each edition into either "Stuck up snobs" or "Mary Sues"... which might explain why it was the Complete Book of Elves that made me stop liking them as much. Other factors are that there is no predefined way they have to act without being oddities (even flexible is not necessarily a human trait), and also I love skill points and them along with the bonus feat help me mechanically define my character.

Kantolin
2010-09-11, 02:27 PM
Half-orcs!

Half-orcs half-orc half-orcs.

I also like goblins, blues, dwarves, half-elves, and hobgoblins. But nowhere near as much as I like half-orcs - at least half of my characters have been half-orcs.

WarKitty
2010-09-11, 02:39 PM
Catfolk?

http://knight.alphaalec.com/sfd20/catfolk1.gif

:smallbiggrin:

Elfin
2010-09-11, 02:43 PM
Same here. Mechanically they're not great in D&D, but they're also not really definitively worse than any other no level adjustment species (save perhaps the human if you're just desperate for an extra feat and skill points), and grey elves are pretty good for some things.

Elves can make pretty good casters if they have a bonus to a casting stat; however, one of my great disappointments with 3.5 is that, despite its enormous number of elven racial variants, it never came out with a Noldorin-esque elf suitable for melee builds...though snow elf works pretty well, if the evil alignment is waived.
To be honest, if such an elf existed, I'd probably have played a lot more melee builds.

I almost never pick what species to play based on mechanics anyhow.

Nor do I; while I like (practical) optimization in games, race always seemed just too big a choice to make merely for mechanical benefits.
Sadly, though, most elves' penalty to Con is quite hard to ignore.

Zertryx
2010-09-11, 02:59 PM
Defenatly Elves, I've always loved Elves. There fun to play and imo can be pretty versatile, Despite the fact that mechanically their really not suited for certain things, that just makes it more fun to try and make them work.

I like that they have a long life span, There usually "quick like" and best of all you only have to meditate for 4 hours and then your ready to go start adventuring again. (unless your a spell caster of course)

But I usually like to play as rouges or archers, someone whos sneaky, cunning, and sometimes just very flashy with the things they do

Jeffanth
2010-09-11, 03:18 PM
i like playing raptorans. there are interesting effects on society when everyone has wings

oh i also like the wings :smallbiggrin:

Doresain
2010-09-11, 03:37 PM
i normally play humans, but every now and then i mix it up with either goblins, kobolds, changelings and the occasional warforged

also undead...in fact, i think ive played more undead characters than ive played human characters

Toliudar
2010-09-11, 03:40 PM
I tend towards less aggressive characters, and a lot of halflings (especially the LotR inspired version, not so much the dinosaur-riders or the cannibals) or gnomes fit this perfectly.

Conversely, "orc" is also a great chassis on which to build the culture and individual of your choice.

Skaven
2010-09-11, 03:48 PM
Kobolds
Lizardfolk
Centaurs
Minotaurs

I just think they're all kinds of cool.

Optimator
2010-09-11, 04:13 PM
I love playing as Hobgoblins and Humans.

Shademan
2010-09-11, 04:15 PM
ALL of them! seriously, I love playing ALL over the place! No race is safe! NONE!
I mean...I played a BEAR once for crying out malnutrition!

Zaydos
2010-09-11, 04:20 PM
Me I've discovered I love gestalt because it allows me to explore high LA/RHD races.

Examples are:
Were-rhino (human)
Nymph
Ullitharid

Those are just current ones (although I think the were-rhino's game died ;_;).

Shyftir
2010-09-11, 04:32 PM
I've played lots of humans. In fact the vast majority of my character sheets read human, except the occasional dwarf and half-elf.

But honestly, I love Hobgoblins!

I find it fun to play with the concept of "not-really-such-a-monster-after-all." Two of my favorite characters are my Hobgoblin Druid/Rogue, who ran a little show called "Johnny the Druid's Traveling Freak Show" which just so happened to double as an adventuring party. and Nok'tal, my savage Hobgoblin Fighter turned Warblade.

Unfortunately, Hobgoblin just sucks mechanically.

World Eater
2010-09-11, 04:40 PM
Humans. When character concepts come to me, 'non-human race' isn't usually among the traits I have in mind. Even though specifically human isn't either, trying to change it to a different race seems awkward.

Zephyros
2010-09-11, 04:50 PM
Planar bastards all the way :smallbiggrin: Be them Aasimars, Tieflings, Genasis or w/e :smallcool: I usually suggest them to newbies cause it kinda gives them a theme to work on (which isn't highly cliched).

Curmudgeon
2010-09-11, 05:14 PM
I like to play Rogues, and Elves have several things going for them:

You get a DEX bonus.
There are a bunch of different Elf types, so you can pick one that gives you some other useful attribute.
They have an extra 4 hours of free time each night (if you're not wasting it on spellcaster rest), and low-light vision to be able to function then.
The extra time + low-light vision, for a Rogue = PROFIT! (That is, opportunities to put the class skills to use so your character stays way above the average Wealth by Level figures.)

Zore
2010-09-11, 05:14 PM
I like playing either Kobolds, Halflings or Goblins most of the time. Besides them I play a lot of Warforged Scouts, Raptorans and Humans. I like all of them about equally though different campaign settings offer different roleplaying opportunities for each. I'm also a bit partial to Changelings but I never get the chance to play them.

Soranar
2010-09-11, 05:16 PM

You get a DEX bonus.
There are a bunch of different Elf types, so you can pick one that gives you some other useful attribute.
They have an extra 4 hours of free time each night (if you're not wasting it on spellcaster rest), and low-light vision to be able to function then.
The extra time + low-light vision, for a Rogue = PROFIT! (That is, opportunities to put the class skills to use so your character stays way above the average Wealth by Level figures.)

you just gave me a good reason never to accept a warforged rogue in my party (greedy robots, greedy robots everywhere!)

BladeofOblivion
2010-09-11, 06:01 PM
Warforged, Changelings, and Kobolds. All three are awesome, for different reasons.

Awnetu
2010-09-11, 06:23 PM
Minotaurs, Terribly high LA though, and mentioning Half Minotaur gets books thrown. =(

Warforged, Everything about that race is awesome.

and of course Humans, because if I wanna do something, they can do it well. (98% of the time)

BladeofOblivion
2010-09-11, 06:25 PM
Half Minotaur

Do I want to know how that works? The implications are... ...Unpleasant.

Ravens_cry
2010-09-11, 07:12 PM
Think, "that imply very ugly backstory" (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0555.html), but with Minotaurs.
What's worse? Pixies with Titan bloodline, as I have previously remarked. Ouch, just ouch.

FMArthur
2010-09-11, 07:40 PM

Maybe you don't know what the backstory behind the minotaur itself is...

Anyway, my favourite race are elans. Somewhat eerie, a little impersonal, and deceptively durable. Plus immortal. All in all they make for a wonderful base to build a totally mysterious character out of.

Da Beast
2010-09-11, 07:42 PM
My favorite races are Half Elf and Elan. The respective flavors of not really fitting in anywhere and outsider in your own society have always been appealing to me. If not one of those I'm usually an elf or something with fey or celestial blood.

I play almost exclusively humans. To me, most other races are just humans with particular physical and personality quirks forced upon them. If I'm going to play a non-human, I prefer something decidedly alien. Thri-kreen, warforged (to an extent), illithids...

This annoys me too, but more with humans than the other races. I'd like to play a game without humans at all sometime.

I'll only play elves in campaigns where they aren't strictly adhering to typical D&D elf flavour, though, because I'm not fond of it. Luckily for me, my usual game doesn't do that, and so I have many elven characters.

May I suggest Eberron for you? The two elven civilizations are a group of death worshiping necromancers and a nomadic hoard of blood thirsty glory hounds.

BladeofOblivion
2010-09-11, 07:44 PM
Oh, I know. I happen to be an aficionado of Greek Mythology.

It's like 8-bit ranger being a half-elf, quarter Lefain (he knows the prepositions), and a quarter half-orc.

CockroachTeaParty
2010-09-11, 09:45 PM
This annoys me too, but more with humans than the other races. I'd like to play a game without humans at all sometime.

I've tried my hands at mono-racial games before, where everyone plays the same race. I played in an all orc or half-orc game, and it wound up being one of the more memorable, if somewhat goofier, campaigns I ever played in.

I was Shorj Soulmurder, one-eyed cleric of Gruumsh, who believed in always Power Attacking for full, no matter what, trusting that his god would guide his spear. The number of times I actually hit was surprisingly often... He also refused to heal his allies, believing it a sign of weakness.

I've ran a couple short-lived all-mind flayer games, but they died... :(

I've kind of got an idea for an all-dwarf game, but nothing's really struck my muse's chord recently, and for now it impotently stews in my brain. Durr...

AslanCross
2010-09-11, 09:48 PM
Human and warforged.

Curmudgeon
2010-09-11, 09:55 PM
and of course Humans, because if I wanna do something, they can do it well. (98% of the time)
Going out for half the night, every night, for some "opportunistic earning"? I guess that falls in the 2% category. :smallwink:

Kallisti
2010-09-11, 10:04 PM
Somnambul. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1057292&postcount=7)

Also, gnomes of all flavors, changelings, and humans.

Remmirath
2010-09-11, 10:51 PM
Elves can make pretty good casters if they have a bonus to a casting stat; however, one of my great disappointments with 3.5 is that, despite its enormous number of elven racial variants, it never came out with a Noldorin-esque elf suitable for melee builds...though snow elf works pretty well, if the evil alignment is waived.
To be honest, if such an elf existed, I'd probably have played a lot more melee builds.

Yeah. That would've been great. A lot of the elf sub-types are just... odd. You'd think they could've done something like that instead of their apparent 'an elf for every climate!' plan. :smallconfused:

Sadly, though, most elves' penalty to Con is quite hard to ignore.

The con penalty is pretty annoying, all right. It makes less and less of a noticeable difference the higher level you are, but still.

May I suggest Eberron for you? The two elven civilizations are a group of death worshiping necromancers and a nomadic hoard of blood thirsty glory hounds.

Well, I recall that last time I looked through one of the Eberron manuals I wasn't too fond of the setting in general, but maybe I should look into it again. The second ones certainly sound as though they could be interesting.

FelixG
2010-09-12, 05:19 AM
Kobold and Warforged

Jabas
2010-09-12, 06:50 AM
Tyrannosaurus Rex

LOTRfan
2010-09-12, 07:07 AM
Anthropomorphic, awakened, or Bronosaurus Rex rules?

Lateral
2010-09-12, 09:01 AM
For 3.5: Warforged, xephs, half-orcs, dragonborn raptoran liches.

For 4: Warforged, half-orcs, dragonborn, genasi.

EDIT:

it'd be cool to play a halfling inside an orc and then just spring out of its torso like in Alien.

...Can I sig that? That has gotta be one of the funniest things I've ever seen written on a computer screen.

Ravens_cry
2010-09-12, 09:16 AM
All of 'em!
That being said, I find if I am going for a more experimental idea, or a class I am not used to, I go for 'uman.

Vknight
2010-09-12, 08:38 PM
Shardminds they are foreign a being that sticks out. You can't hide the fact your body is made of crystals so rp becomes a really fun experience when the player wants to play a newly born Shardmind. The best experience I had involved the Shardmind deciding that he is an upgraded Warforged referring to him as his weaker sibling.

Bugbeartrap
2010-09-12, 09:38 PM

You get a DEX bonus.

And the smexy ability to find hidden stuff by walking past it.:smallbiggrin:

I've always loved the idea of the noble warrior half-orc, fighting the barbaric stereotype placed upon his kind. I'm also fond of goblins, always unpredictable. I just wish they had better mechanics. I guess it's not easy being green.

truekender
2010-09-12, 09:44 PM
Kender!!! Immune to Fear! Open Lock and Sleight of hand bonuses and able to use them without having any ranks! Bonuses to saves! Small size plus dex bonus! Awesome fluff! Taunting enemies!

Doomboy911
2010-09-12, 09:51 PM
Human for the points.

Dr.Epic
2010-09-12, 09:53 PM
Orcs and halflings, though it'd be cool to play a halfling inside an orc and then just spring out of its torso like in Alien.

AerykVyrion
2010-09-12, 09:53 PM
I absolutely love Half-elves, but I keep finding myself making characters that aren't. Because they're mechanically the worst race out there. :smallfrown:

Da Beast
2010-09-12, 09:55 PM
I absolutely love Half-elves, but I keep finding myself making characters that aren't. Because they're mechanically the worst race out there. :smallfrown:

I give them bonus skill points like a human. Nice balance and appeals to mo love of skills.

Dimers
2010-09-13, 02:21 AM
I prefer Elan. There's so much they don't have to get upset about in-character -- food, sleep, and age, for example, and if you play a class with power points, they're quite resistant to wear-and-tear. That means I don't feel compelled to roleplay mundanity; my character really wouldn't care about trifles and can get on with being a hero!

I like lycanthropes far out of proportion to their mechanical value. The claw/claw/bite is just ... emotionally satisfying.

Since lots of games exclude "weird" stuff for PCs, I usually play a human, because I adore feats and skill points (they make the character feel more personalized).

Seracain
2010-09-13, 03:56 AM
Definitely Thri-kreen. Four armed mantis warriors that never sleep ftw. Second favorite has to go to kobolds. Had a lot of fun with both of those races.

FelixG
2010-09-13, 04:54 AM
Definitely Thri-kreen. Four armed mantis warriors that never sleep ftw. Second favorite has to go to kobolds. Had a lot of fun with both of those races.

The Thri-Kreen would have made my list if they hadn't the awful racial hitdie :(

Greymane
2010-09-13, 06:18 AM
Elan. It's not enough to be ageless and aloof. I need to be there when elves die of old age.

That I'm psionic is just icing on the cake.

LordShotGun
2010-09-13, 06:47 AM
I like to make my character have some dragon blood in their family history and the one time I managed to pull off a half dragon (using a homebrewed racial "class" that can either advance BAB or spellcasting)

So I would have to say half dragon plus half whatever (in the one game I had it was half bronze dragon, half halfling). Roleplay AND game mechanical wise I focused on the dragon half of my character rather then the other side.

bokodasu
2010-09-13, 08:19 AM
I almost always play human or half-orc. And I like gnomes thematically, but somehow they never do what I want mechanically. (I was once in a game where I played a gnome married to another PC's half-orc, but the DM ruled us sterile. BOOOOOOO. I want to be a half-half-orc/half-gnome.)

Esser-Z
2010-09-13, 08:20 AM
Often human. Partially for mechanical stuff, partially 'cause I like dem humies.

Also Genasi, at least in 4e. I really need to look up the 3.x stats for these folk.

Morph Bark
2010-09-13, 08:43 AM
Dragonborn Mongrelfolk. Do want to try sometime. Changelings rock for roleplaying possibilities, especially in combo with Factotum/Chameleon.

I also love the Planetouched races like crazy.

Simba
2010-09-13, 09:23 AM
Theoretically Wemic, but I don't get to play them as they start at level 8 (LA + racial HD 7).

In games here? Human.

Ruinix
2010-09-13, 11:51 AM
is very sad to watch how much forgeted is dragonlance setting snif :(

anyway.

Kenders!!! all the way, i simply love them. so much fun, for rol well u HAVE to poke everyone in every situation, no matter the concecuenses. just plain awesome.

minotaurs there in dragonlance. powerfull and "pirate like" rol.

warforged. construct living. say no more.