PDA

View Full Version : (GURPS) Dealing with insane reaction modifiers

Ilmryn
2010-09-11, 11:05 AM
How do you deal with a character with a reaction modifier of +16/+14? According to the basic rules, any NPC would simply want to ally with them...

Yuki Akuma
2010-09-11, 11:06 AM
Circumstancial penalties?

Alternatively, let them play the damn character they want to play and come up with some other sort of conflict.

Knaight
2010-09-11, 11:12 AM
Any NPC who doesn't already have a cause to hate them anyways. This just means they are relatively safe from lackeys, and probably don't have to put up with much from passers by in a city.

The Big Dice
2010-09-11, 04:13 PM
Someone who hasn't met them face to face might not be affected by insane reaction modifiers. Someone with cause to dislike them won't be affected by them either.

Just because you're good looking and charming doesn'tmean I'm going to like you or be nice to you if you steal my car / wife / dog. Or kill someone I feel should be avenged, or any of a hundred other possibilities tha don't have anything to do with reaction modifiers.

Fouredged Sword
2010-09-11, 04:34 PM
"I am sorry my friend. It is nothing personal, but buisness you know. Anyway, I just want to let you know that this doesn't mean I don't like you.."

Blam!

Bucky
2010-09-11, 10:25 PM
First and foremost, Reaction rolls aren't used if a reaction is predetermined (by RAW at least). In-game, that means anyone who is determined to hate the PC before they meet will continue to do so after reaction would otherwise be rolled.

A super-reaction shouldn't stop an NPC from following their Duty, or affect non-intelligent enemies. It could be nullified if the NPC doesn't notice some of the modifiers (e.g. Reputation or Status), or if the PC doesn't have a chance to bring them to bear (e.g. Voice). Finally, a PC can throw away a good reaction if they behave poorly. If they do so routinely they might eventually acquire a negative reputation as a con artist.

Beyond that, if stacking +Reaction advantages gets too far out of hand, you could make the character roleplay into each of them, or else lose some of them.

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-09-11, 10:27 PM
Alternatively, you could use the reaction bonuses as a major problem...

Think of the swarms of rabid fans, desperately pleading with this person for their autograph... always... and then the negative publicity when they follow this person into dangerous areas and get themselves killed...

PersonMan
2010-09-12, 05:20 AM
I'm the person with the insane reaction modifiers. It comes from Very Beautiful and boatloads of Charisma. It's a school-based campaign, so we won't be going into any really dangerous areas and the like.

Shademan
2010-09-12, 05:36 AM
I had a character once that was offended by beauty. then again, he was kind of a psycho...
" I will enjoy destroying that face of yours"