PDA

View Full Version : Gestalt + Barbarian Totems?

MarkusWolfe
2010-09-11, 09:27 PM
Hello everyone.

My university runs a nerd club with multiple campaigns, and I might end up in a Gestalt campaign. So I was thinking about taking 2 barbarian totems at once. The first would be Jaguar (standard barbarian) and the other would be Bear or Boar.....unless there's one that gives 'pounce' that my DM would accept. Thoughts?

Also, where's that guy with all the homebrew totems?

dgnslyr
2010-09-11, 09:33 PM
I don't think you can gestalt the same class twice, even if you use ACFs and variants and whatnot. Spirit Lion Totem Barbarian gives Pounce instead of Fast Movement, and I think it's in CW.

Snake-Aes
2010-09-11, 09:37 PM
I don't think you can gestalt the same class twice, even if you use ACFs and variants and whatnot. Spirit Lion Totem Barbarian gives Pounce instead of Fast Movement, and I think it's in CW.

Complete champion. And gestalt is always different classes. I don't recall if it forbids you from taking levels in a class interchangeably on the "sides"

dgnslyr
2010-09-11, 09:41 PM
Evidently, I need to put more ranks in Autohypnosis. Anyhow, Spirit Lion Totem Barbarian is the only barbarian you'll ever need, because I can't think of anything better than being able to POUNCE. Nearly every melee build can benefit from the ability to use their BAB progression to its fullest.

MarkusWolfe
2010-09-11, 10:53 PM
Just found the guy with Greater Barbarian Totems HERE. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157302)

Looked up Lion, yes, there was pounce. Ooh, and Ferocious Charge too? Sweet, totally fits my play style! Lion's Roar....meh, not really my style. Especially considering it's a standard action. Stalk? I don't really intend to be stealthy, but it might be useful.

He's already got Panther, and it's got the stealth, pounce, climbing but no Ferocious Charge. The only creature that would apply for the 2 parts I want is the tiger, and he's got a right to Stealth and Roar just as much as the lion, so lion is basically my only option.....unless........AHA!

"I know just what I'll do!" Said the Markus with a grin."I'll make myself up a Sabretooth Totem, why that should do the trick!"I'll take the Ferocious Charge and Pounce from the Lion first; so that's the 1st and 5th level abilities. To make this fair, of course, I must only take the abilities this other fellow has used at their respective levels. So he looked over the page, and saw that the Bear and some others had the improved grapple; he also saw that the Scorpion does not roll the normal penalties for using a light weapon if it is a Drow Long Knife "The sabertooth wrestled its prey to the ground and stabbed it in the neck! This should be the 2nd level feat!" So he looked through the light weapons, and decided that a kukri was closed to a saber tooth. "Improved Grapple, and no penalties in using a Kukri while grappling, excellent! Now for the level 3 bonus!" And the Markus looked through the list, not sure what to make of it. He wanted the Tyrannosaurus's Terrible Fang, but that was a level 5. He liked a lot of the charging ones, but if he got another, he might be overpowered. Then an idea came to him. "Bleeding! The Sabretooth had it's victims bleed to death! I shall have it so that on every critical hit, the enemy receives bleeding damage equal to the Strength modifier! Then it will bleed that amount for another turn. Every 3 levels, the bleeding lasts another turn.....yes, combined with the Jaguar, this will carry me even through a Gestalt campaign!" Satisfied, he PMed the user behind the great list of totems with the info on his totem. And that is how the the Markus minmaxed the totems.

On a side note, I find it odd that none of you advised Gestalting with something other than a barbarian for sake of improving reflex and will saves.

dextercorvia
2010-09-11, 11:06 PM
You can mix Spirit Lion Totem ACF with the Wolf Totem Barbarian Variant (or Horse, but Improved Trip is better than Run). None of the others work since you can't trade the same feature away twice. If you were really wanting to get your fast movement anyway, may I recommend taking Wildshape Ranger and/or Fist of the Forest.

Greenish
2010-09-12, 03:08 PM
On a side note, I find it odd that none of you advised Gestalting with something other than a barbarian for sake of improving reflex and will saves.Well, you can't gestalt barbarian with barbarian, as has been pointed out.

If you want to improve other saves with the other half, well, it depends what you want. A swordsage has good ref/will, wis to AC (in light armour), initiative boosts, 6+int skillpoints and a good skill list with little overlap to barbarian's. Oh, and it's a martial adept with the most maneuvers known and access to most disciplines, so that's something.