PDA

View Full Version : Halfling with a Pebble!

Algerin
2010-09-11, 10:28 PM
The latest OotS comic made me wonder this:

So how would you make a halfling archer/ranged/sling build in 4th edition? Say level 5 starting. What feets and skills?

I played around a little with a halfling shortbow user but Id rather a sling if possible. Any insight? Thanks.

Algerin
2010-09-12, 06:49 AM
Someones got to have a descent build like this in mind.

Gavinfoxx
2010-09-12, 07:28 AM
Why 4th? OotS is 3.5e!

Kurald Galain
2010-09-12, 07:34 AM
Someones got to have a descent build like this in mind.

I'm pretty sure Descent doesn't have halflings or slings. Or pebbles, for that matter.

true_shinken
2010-09-12, 07:44 AM
I'm pretty sure Descent doesn't have halflings or slings. Or pebbles, for that matter.

I lol'ed at this.

Gavinfoxx
2010-09-12, 07:47 AM
Descent had TONS of rocks all over the place, haven't you paid any attention to the level design??

Urpriest
2010-09-12, 09:29 AM
Sling builds are actually quite nice in 4e. You do them as a Cunning Sneak rogue. It's one of the few for which Int is actually worthwhile to keep at a useful level, since the riders on sling powers are pretty nice. There's a paragon path for rogue sling users, and a feat for rogues that makes slings +3 proficiency and high crit.

Urpriest
2010-09-12, 09:59 AM
Here's a (relatively unoptimized) example build:

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Belkar the Ranged, level 5
Halfling, Rogue
Rogue Tactics: Cunning Sneak
Rogue: Sharpshooter Talent
Sharpshooter Talent: Sharpshooter Talent (Sling)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 8, Con 10, Dex 21, Int 15, Wis 10, Cha 13.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 8, Con 10, Dex 18, Int 14, Wis 10, Cha 11.

AC: 20 Fort: 13 Reflex: 20 Will: 14
HP: 42 Surges: 6 Surge Value: 11

TRAINED SKILLS
Stealth +12, Thievery +14, Streetwise +8, Bluff +8, Acrobatics +14, Perception +7

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +4, Diplomacy +3, Dungeoneering +2, Endurance +2, Heal +2, History +4, Insight +2, Intimidate +3, Nature +2, Religion +4, Athletics +1

FEATS
Level 1: Deadeye Slinger
Level 2: Backstabber
Level 4: Weapon Expertise (Sling)

POWERS
Rogue at-will 1: Deft Strike
Rogue at-will 1: Gloaming Cut
Rogue encounter 1: Skip the Rock
Rogue daily 1: Blinding Barrage
Rogue utility 2: Agile Recovery
Rogue encounter 3: Flattening Shot
Rogue daily 5: Go for the Eyes

ITEMS
Adventurer's Kit, Distance Sling +2, Shadowdance Leather Armor +1, Lucky Charm +1, Belt of Vigor (heroic tier)

Algerin
2010-09-12, 11:46 AM
Not a bad build, thank you, he'll make a nice NPC.

Sorry I spelled DECENT wrong. =) Damn grammar nazi.

And 3.5 is history. No longer supported. It was my preferred version but I think people still hanging on to it are living in the past and not wanting to change to 4th for one reason or another. I made the change to 4th and am happy with it so far. Less variety and wiggle room but still has enough lee-way in customization to give me free reign over my campaign.

Thanks for the answers.

Urpriest
2010-09-12, 11:48 AM

Not to accuse you of doing this, but you're aware that in 4e NPCs are not supposed to ever have PC stats, correct?

Kiren
2010-09-12, 11:49 AM
Don't forget about pathfinder.

Also 3.5 IS supported, look around the homebrew threads, you will find new settings.

Algerin
2010-09-14, 07:47 AM
Not to accuse you of doing this, but you're aware that in 4e NPCs are not supposed to ever have PC stats, correct?

I like to bounce various NPC's in and out of the party to make up for anybody that doesn't show up for that game. So they are PC's controlled by me the DM to fill in gaps.

Maralais
2010-09-14, 07:52 AM
And 3.5 is history. No longer supported. It was my preferred version but I think people still hanging on to it are living in the past and not wanting to change to 4th for one reason or another. I made the change to 4th and am happy with it so far. Less variety and wiggle room but still has enough lee-way in customization to give me free reign over my campaign.

Tell that to people who want to play chaotic good or lawful evil characters.

4e still needs a lot of improvement, and a spirit.

Heliomance
2010-09-14, 08:47 AM

Thanks for the answers.

3.5 has community support, that's all that's needed. I don't know exact figures, but I would not be at all surprised to find that more people still play 3.5 than switched to 4ed. Certainly a lot more people on this forum do.

TricksyAndFalse
2010-09-14, 08:53 AM
Tell that to people who want to play chaotic good or lawful evil characters.

PCs can still have the outlooks and perspectives formerly labeled "chaotic good" and "lawful evil". They don't have to appear in the 4E book. If you can imagine a personality, you can roleplay it.

Urpriest
2010-09-14, 07:25 PM
I like to bounce various NPC's in and out of the party to make up for anybody that doesn't show up for that game. So they are PC's controlled by me the DM to fill in gaps.

Ah, DMPCs. Yeah, in that one case using PC stats is perfectly kosher.

mootoall
2010-09-14, 07:47 PM
My problem with 4e is mostly the fact that I have to buy a whole new bunch of books if I want to play it (seriously, not happening,) and the fat that they nerfed, and yes, I am using that referring to something in the real world, the OGL. It makes me angry. Open source is the future. Linux FTW.

cupkeyk
2010-09-14, 08:25 PM
Technically, its spelling not grammar.

Urpriest
2010-09-14, 08:41 PM
Technically, its spelling not grammar.

So you're a word choice nazi? :smallwink:

cupkeyk
2010-09-14, 09:11 PM
The term is syntax nazi :D

Ricky S
2010-09-14, 09:24 PM

Thanks for the answers.

I find that a bit annoying to say that we are living in the past. Why replace something that isn't broken? 4e in my opinion was made for young kids. All the crap about power surges and daily abilities. 1st level is supposed to be dangerous and you are supposed to be weak. I played 4e at Gencon in a short game so everyone could see how it works. I was a lvl one rogue with 27hp! I hated it.

Arbane
2010-09-15, 02:23 AM
I played 4e at Gencon in a short game so everyone could see how it works. I was a lvl one rogue with 27hp! I hated it.

I know this isn't the right thread for it, so I'll just mention how much I dislike Old Skool D&D's base attitude of "Starting PCs are SUPPOSED to suck!" and then leave.

The Glyphstone
2010-09-15, 10:25 AM
Despite it being Edition Wars Wednesday, let's not have this thread turn into a 3.5 vs. 4E argument. Keep the discussion firmly on the OP's question (how to make a halfling sling-user).

tbarrie
2010-09-15, 11:36 AM

The DMG specifically mentioning that you might want to sometimes do so is intended as a trap, I take it?

Urpriest
2010-09-15, 12:04 PM
The DMG specifically mentioning that you might want to sometimes do so is intended as a trap, I take it?

IIRC, you're either talking about a section that refers to NPCs acting as DMPCs, or the one that goes on to describe how PC-like abilities can be grafted on to an NPC chassis. It's been a while since I've looked through the 4e DMG, though, so if you could point out the section I'd have a better idea of what you're referring to.

Tiki Snakes
2010-09-15, 12:08 PM
There is infact a section referring to how to build a 'pc style' NPC, but I'm pretty sure it's still intended to be simplified and streamlined in comparison to building a PC.