PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Focusing a build around a rock?

Pika...
2010-09-11, 11:02 PM
So I have been having this idea floating around my head for a good long while now.

Basically, I want to bring back to use the oldest of weapons (which is debatable only by the stick!).

So far I am thinking a fighter build?

Any ideas about this?

Gray Mage
2010-09-11, 11:19 PM
How about a Hulking Hurler/War Hulk build?

BobVosh
2010-09-11, 11:23 PM
If you can find the special materials thread, I believe there is a couple rocks that work like metal for weapons.

Go sling?

War Hulk/Hulking Hurler is kinda broken, but if your power level is at that point (9001) you could go for it.

Pika...
2010-09-11, 11:24 PM
How about a Hulking Hurler/War Hulk build?

Good idea...

However, I was hoping to still be like a Kobold/Human/etc doing it.

Kinda looking for effective, yet a bit comical. :smallbiggrin:

Dr.Epic
2010-09-11, 11:25 PM
Just hope your opponent doesn't have paper.:smallbiggrin:

Pika...
2010-09-11, 11:34 PM
Just hope your opponent doesn't have paper.:smallbiggrin:

Then again, anyone with scissors beware. :smallbiggrin:

Anyway, I think I want to go the Melee route.

Would fighter work?

Perhaps the following?:
-Weapon Proficiency (Rock)
-Weapon Specialization (Rock)
-Weapon Focus (Rock)

Also, he will address the rock as "Jim" at all times.

Hague
2010-09-12, 02:41 AM
What about the halfling rock-skipping champion?

Morph Bark
2010-09-12, 03:30 AM
What about the halfling rock-skipping champion?

If not a War Hulking Hurler, this. Yes.

Radar
2010-09-12, 04:17 AM
First thing, that came to my mind was a bard shouting "I wield the power of ROCK!" :smallbiggrin:

If you go with the Rock-skipping Champion, combine it with Master Thrower for more goodies (Palm Throw, Trip Shot, Weak Spot). If there is enough place in the build, add bard levels for Dragonfire Inspiration (and general awesomeness obviously), since you will be making loads of attacks per round.

Greenish
2010-09-12, 06:38 AM
The aforementioned Rock-skipping Champion (http://www.giantitp.com/articles/CsORDNEyp2GRLIhacLj.html).

ScionoftheVoid
2010-09-12, 07:19 AM
How about a "The Big Guy Is With Me" Psicrystal build? Then the rock actually is the focus of the build, the character is only there to buff the rock.

Pika...
2010-09-12, 10:09 AM
LoL...

So many good ideas.

I am going to write up the rock skipper as my next backup. :smallwink:

However, I don't want to lose "Jim" is he issue. I was thinking more on the lines that the guy/girl has a few screws loose as it were, always talking to Jim" and using him as his main/only weapon. Hence I figured a non-throwing build would be better.

Oh!!!

Is it possible to make "Jim" an item familair? :smallbiggrin:

How about a "The Big Guy Is With Me" Psicrystal build? Then the rock actually is the focus of the build, the character is only there to buff the rock.

Another backup Psion on the way.

Hague
2010-09-12, 10:32 AM
Why not just give Jim the returning ability? You can throw him, skip him bouncing him off multiple targets and then throw again immediately.

Trouble is you'd need a masterwork rock to enchant it. I guess you can use Craft (stonecrafter) to polish and decorate Jim with a masterwork component and then imbue it with intelligence.

TurtleKing
2010-09-12, 10:42 AM
I have a question what if the "rock" was an item familar and a psicrystal. If you can acquire a sufficently dense and hard crystal it could possibly survive melee combat. For example a quartz or maybe even a diamond? There are also some metalloids that are used for armor that also classify as crystal.

If going psionic then the Wilder could fit the kind of charatcer you want. This require getting the Psicrystal Affinity at level 1 and item Familiar at level 3.

Could an item be a psicrystal and an item familiar at the same time?

Zaq
2010-09-12, 12:14 PM
I have a question what if the "rock" was an item familar and a psicrystal. If you can acquire a sufficently dense and hard crystal it could possibly survive melee combat. For example a quartz or maybe even a diamond? There are also some metalloids that are used for armor that also classify as crystal.

If going psionic then the Wilder could fit the kind of charatcer you want. This require getting the Psicrystal Affinity at level 1 and item Familiar at level 3.

Could an item be a psicrystal and an item familiar at the same time?

Psicrystals aren't items, they're creatures. So that's not going to work, at least not without some DM intervention.

TurtleKing
2010-09-13, 02:31 AM
Ok well the person who posted this thread is the DM. Wouldn't mind on hearing on what other options he has.

JeminiZero
2010-09-13, 02:58 AM
First thing, that came to my mind was a bard shouting "I wield the power of ROCK!" :smallbiggrin:

<snip>

add bard levels for Dragonfire Inspiration (and general awesomeness obviously)

On a related note, you could simply make a inspiration-based Bard, take ranks in "Perform: Rock Drumming" or something, and then use "Jim" as your instrument of choice. For bonus points, try to have Dragonfire Inspiration deal Sonic damage.

Bulwer
2010-09-13, 07:20 AM
Psicrystals aren't items, they're creatures. So that's not going to work, at least not without some DM intervention.

On the other hand, it's basically an animated rock. What do you get when an animated rock "goes limp"?

A rock.

Actually, here's a pitch for the DM. You take EWP(psicrystal), where it's for a 20ft range increment, 1d4 damage (even for small creatures, as all crystals are the same size category), and can deliver touch attacks for you, because it's still your psicrystal.

I think the feat and the further necessary commitment to throwing balances that pretty well.

Telonius
2010-09-13, 07:28 AM
Druid 16. Be the rock.

Pika...
2010-09-13, 10:51 AM
Ok well the person who posted this thread is the DM. Wouldn't mind on hearing on what other options he has.

Nope. I want to play in someone's game.

TurtleKing
2010-09-13, 11:01 AM
Wait whose game would this be in. Anyone I know?

Pika...
2010-09-13, 11:14 AM
Wait whose game would this be in. Anyone I know?

Not sure. LoL.

Looking for a group to play in as a player in Phili.

Ormagoden
2010-09-13, 12:58 PM
If you can find the special materials thread, I believe there is a couple rocks that work like metal for weapons.

Go sling?

War Hulk/Hulking Hurler is kinda broken, but if your power level is at that point (9001) you could go for it.

But, that's impossible!

Terumitsu
2010-09-13, 01:02 PM
For added giggles, go to the SC and grab a glove with the spell Giant's Throw or something to that likeness

It makes any rock you throw increase size to a boulder (3d6 damage)...

You can likely guess what happens when you apply this potential build with that.

Pika...
2010-09-14, 02:03 AM
Thanks for the help folks (and Turtleking for the personal Skype hep!)!

I decided to go somewhere between melee and ranged. A bit of both worlds basically. :smallbiggrin:

His stats ended up:
Str: 18
Dex: 11
Con: 16
Int: 15
Wis: 8 (Hahahaha!)
Cha: 18!

He will be focusing on the Intimidate and Handle Animal skills. After hitting someone with "Jim" he will be asking things on the lines of "Do you really want to mess with Jim?!", and he will have a few guard and attack dogs at his side.

Race is Human.

He is made as a level five backup character.

His feat tree is as follows:
-Weapon Proficiency: (Rock)
-Power Attack
-Improved Sunder
-Brutal Throw
-item Familiar (A rock called Jim)
-Powerful Throw

His gear is basically Half-Plate, an explorer's outfit, thre waters skins (one with ale, one with wine, one with water), and a winter outfit. Jim is a very high-maintenance friend. :/

Oh, and using the CW table for misc items' damage I figured Jim weighs 55 pounds, hence he does 3d6 damage and has a range increment of 10.ft. He is M.W. quality (that was a hell of a stone-mason!), and I had a Cleric of his deity (Sunnic, the Arcomental Princess of Good Earth Elementals) bless him to have the +1 and Returning
properties. Jim is his best friend...

Well, any ideas/teaks/suggestions before I toss him into my backup characters folder, probably never to be used. :/

edit:
Forgot to mention his name: Rockie the Fighter

For added giggles, go to the SC and grab a glove with the spell Giant's Throw or something to that likeness

It makes any rock you throw increase size to a boulder (3d6 damage)...

You can likely guess what happens when you apply this potential build with that.

SC? Spell Compendium correct? Or do you mean the Magic Item Compendium?