PDA

View Full Version : Item Familiar

Charzy
2010-09-11, 11:33 PM
Playing in a campaign at level 1 or 3 soon and I am looking at getting the item familiar feat from the Unearthed Arcana.

I plan to put it on my rapier but it could be risky to invest on an easily stolen/broken piece of equipment.

I know this sounds like too much but, If I have an Item familiar on a rapier with the wand chamber and give it the Cantrips/Orisons special ability It gain access to 0-level spells to a class of my choice (wizard) and put in a wand of Wraithstrike 2nd level wizard spell into the chamber, will my item familiar be able to cast spells from the wand?

Albeit its a full round action to cast the spell from the chamber, If I have the weapon delay until before my turn and have It cast before i start my actions.

I was reading up on the Item familiar and this idea popped into my head.

Thanks Ahead of time. :smallbiggrin:

Dusk Eclipse
2010-09-12, 12:11 AM
Playing in a campaign at level 1 or 3 soon and I am looking at getting the item familiar feat from the Unearthed Arcana.

I plan to put it on my rapier but it could be risky to invest on an easily stolen/broken piece of equipment.

I know this sounds like too much but, If I have an Item familiar on a rapier with the wand chamber and give it the Cantrips/Orisons special ability It gain access to 0-level spells to a class of my choice (wizard) and put in a wand of Wraithstrike 2nd level wizard spell into the chamber, will my item familiar be able to cast spells from the wand?

Albeit its a full round action to cast the spell from the chamber, If I have the weapon delay until before my turn and have It cast before i start my actions.

I was reading up on the Item familiar and this idea popped into my head.

Thanks Ahead of time. :smallbiggrin:

Wait what????? as per the RC casting a spell from a wand (and thus from a Wand Chamber) is the same action as casting the actual spell, so casting from a wand of wraithstrike is also a swift action. (incidentally I love this trick on my TWF)

Charzy
2010-09-12, 12:20 AM
Wait what????? as per the RC casting a spell from a wand (and thus from a Wand Chamber) is the same action as casting the actual spell, so casting from a wand of wraithstrike is also a swift action. (incidentally I love this trick on my TWF)

Ah, my mistake, I just skimmed the Wand chamber stats before the post and saw full round action, that is for changing the wand in place.

But there is no problem with the item familiar casting spells with a wand?:smallsmile:
Oh man this is gonna make my day XD

Dusk Eclipse
2010-09-12, 12:25 AM
I think the item familiar can't activate wands, since you need to be able to manupulate the wand to use it.... maybe for items which can be activated with mental comands.

Hague
2010-09-12, 12:28 AM
Depends. The familiar might be able to do it depending on the wand activation action. Speaking a word? Probably not. Thought trigger? Sure.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-09-12, 12:29 AM
Depends. The familiar might be able to do it depending on the wand activation action. Speaking a word? Probably not. Thought trigger? Sure.

A normal familiar sure (thats why Ravens are great familairs and Imps evenmore so...)

An item familiar that can't maniplate stuff, definetly not

Gavinfoxx
2010-09-12, 12:38 AM
Pay someone with Craft Construct to help create a Homunculi with *your* blood, tied to you, that is also an intelligent item per the intelligent item rules, with a purpose tied to serving you.

That gives you three sources of intelligence for the item, so its all smart and stuff!

Charzy
2010-09-12, 01:24 AM
Well the spell that i want is Wraithstrike, which has Verbal and somatic.

Although the Familiar can cast its own spells without verbal or somatic at no penalty, will it be able to cast a spell that requires through a wand?

And the familiar can gain speech if i invest a point to get it increased sapience.

Gavinfoxx
2010-09-12, 02:15 AM
Like I said! Make it a homunculi with hands and speech and stuff!

Hague
2010-09-12, 02:25 AM
Since the wand chamber is considered part of the rapier, it's in contact with it and so a thought command could work. However, there is still the issue of whether or not your familiar qualifies as having wraithstrike on its spell list. I'm certain it won't have many ranks in Use Magic Device.

Charzy
2010-09-12, 02:45 AM
Homunculus doesn't qualify to be an Item familiar which is the only way it can get the spell list necessary to cast the wand without making a check.

The requirements are
* Have a price of at least 2,000 gp.
* Be usable by the character (if it is a weapon, the character must be proficient with the appropriate category of weapon).
* Have a permanent magical effect that the character can (and knows how to) use.

The only requirement it can fill is the price if you make it 4hd.

Unless there is an Intelligent magic item power that would give it wand use.

And that issue if the Weapon Item familiar could do it is a problem. I could Technically by putting skill points in my item familiar gain a bonus to UMD even though i don't get ranks in it. If i put all my skill points into my item, 8 ranks a level at level 6, 3 levels of having the feat. i could have 8 ranks into any skill check. If i put these into UMD i still doubts i would have the ability to use the skill though.. :\

Reluctance
2010-09-12, 02:45 AM
First, how exactly do you fit a wand into something slimmer than one? But let's assume the magic of refluffing.

The Cantrips ability specifically says that the item only has 0-level spells on its list. Wraithstrike is higher level than that. The item can't use the wand.

(It's not unreasonable to houserule an item lesser property of 10 UMD ranks. 10 ranks in whatever is a common lesser power. It's not 100%, though, and it's still a houserule.)

The weapon doesn't have natural attacks, nor does it wield a weapon of its own. Wraithstrike only targets those. It's pointless to have your gear cast creature-buffing spells on itself.

Finally, the casting time from the wand is a swift action. If you're micromanaging your swifts/immediates to that degree, be prepared for a pissed DM. Especially since item familiars are cheesy on their own. Just use your own danged swift and puncture things repeatedly if that's what strikes your fancy.

FelixG
2010-09-12, 04:43 AM
The handle of the item could contain the wand?

awa
2010-09-13, 11:10 AM
now that you know its a swift action not a regular action do you even need the item spell casting shenanigans?

UserClone
2010-09-13, 11:35 AM
Presumably, the character in question lacks the required UMD ranks.