PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Would this unbalance the Sublime Way Ranger/ Build stub Critique.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-09-12, 12:24 AM
I wa planning on making a sublime ranger (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19519074/Sublime_Way_Variant_Ranger) for a level 6 game, and I was considering asking my DM if it would be okay giving normal Favored Enemy progression. What do you think about it?

Secondly what do you think of this build

Sublime Ranger 6 With manoubers from the Iron Heart, Tiger Claw and Shadow Hand
Stat Distribution Dex->Con->Int->Wis->Str(no less than 10)->Cha
Feats:
Flaw:The feat from Forgotten Realms that lets you count for as a member of a spellcasting class for the purpose for activating wands and scrolls.
Flaw:Educated
Human* Able Learner
1TWF
2 Shadow Blade (Ranger Bonus Feat)
3 Knowledge Devotio
6 Ironheart Aura
6 Stormguard Ranger (Ranger Bonus Feat)

*Not sure If I am going human....

So what do you think about it?

PId6
2010-09-12, 12:34 AM
I've no problems with using normal Favored Enemy progression on Sublime Ranger. Favored Enemy is more of a flavor ability than anything really that useful in most campaigns anyway, so it shouldn't change power level much if at all.

The feat is Arcane Schooling from PGtF. And yes, that build looks fine, though you'll probably want Weapon Finesse in place of Shadow Blade (take Ironheart Aura as your 2nd level bonus feat). Also, not sure why you're taking Able Learner unless you're intending to multiclass.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-09-12, 12:40 AM
You are right about able learner.... I came up with this build stuff as I was writing the post...^^U and I wrote Able Learner before thinking on Educated.

As for shadow blade and weapon finnesse you are right... If I go human I can take it.

Eitherway, what other race should I consider?

PId6
2010-09-12, 12:42 AM
Whisper Gnome for heavy stealth focus, Strongheart Halfling or Human otherwise. It's really hard to beat bonus feat for most characters.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-09-12, 12:47 AM
I think I'll stick to humans... I usually don't like playing small races....

Hmmm by my reading the sublime ranger doesn't loose the animal companion and in this game we houseruled that Rangers get full AC progression (or at -2 EDL can't remember exactly) so what would be a good animal companion??
I was thinking on a fleshraker for pure power (and awesomeness), but I am not set, so other suggestions?

PId6
2010-09-12, 12:52 AM
If you need flight, Dire Bat or Horrid Bat (ECS) make good flying mounts. Otherwise, Fleshraker is by far the best AC at low-mid levels, so yeah, go with that if available.

See Druid Handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=1354.msg35416#msg35416) for more suggestions.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-09-12, 12:53 AM
hmm Horrid Dire bat sounds interesting...but can you apply Horrid to normal animals? because a horrid fleshraker sound AWESOME...

PId6
2010-09-12, 12:54 AM
No, only dire animals unfortunately. :smallfrown:

On the other hand, Fleshrakers are more than horrid enough. :smalltongue:

Dusk Eclipse
2010-09-12, 12:56 AM
No, only dire animals unfortunately. :smallfrown:

Well there is the Dire Template in the Tomb of Horros... and I believe there was link floating here last week...but I think that would push the Fleshraker companion adjustment into: Baator No! at level6

Dusk Eclipse
2010-09-16, 12:25 PM
ok here is a more fleshed out build

Human Sulbime Ranger 6

Stats 36 point buy :
Str 10
Dex 16
Con 16
Int 16 (the level up bonus from level 4 originally 15)
Wis 14
Cha 8

Feat Progression
Vulnerable: Educated
Shaky/Frail: Arcane Schooling (Wandstrike/nerveskitter wands here I go!!!)
Human: Weapon Finnesse
1 Two-weapon Fighting
2 Shadow Blade
3 Knowledge Devotion
6 Iron Heart Aura
6 Stormguard Warrior.

Favored Enemy
Abarrations (my DM said it was an aberration heavy campaing)
Arcanist (the most broad category I could think of)

Manoubers from Shadow Hand, Iron Heart Tiger Claw:
IL 6
Known 6
1Shadow Blade Technique
1Steel Wind
1Sudden Leap
1 Moment of Perfect Mind (Novice Ring of Diamon Mind)
2Wolf Fang Strike-> Changed into Wall of Blades at level 4
3Shadow Jaunt
4 Wall of Blades
5 Cloak of Deception
6 Iron Hear Surge or Soaring Raptor Strike

Stances:
1 Hunter Sense
2 Child of Shadows.

Any suggestions for manoubers, stances, equipment etc?

PId6
2010-09-16, 03:52 PM
Why 14 Wis? As far as I know, Sublime Ranger has no use for Wis, so you might put those points to better use elsewhere (if you're not using point buy, switching it with Strength can get more damage, though the boost to Spot/Listen from Wis is decent). Also, since skill points aren't retroactive, you should start with that 15 in some other stat besides Int and start Int off with 16, netting you 6 extra skill points.

For maneuvers, that seems a pretty good list. Try to concentrate on Tiger Claw, especially once Dancing Mongoose and Pouncing Charge become available.

For equipment, you're probably best off with just a pair of masterwork daggers or something similar. +1 weapons are bad for their cost, and it's a bit too early to get +2 weapons. Handy Haversack, Belt of Healing, and Anklets of Translocation are, as always, useful. Masterwork Tools of Concentration and Jump are cheap and good. Cloak/Vest of Resistance +1, Amulet of Natural Armor +1, and Ring of Protection +1 are all good for their low prices. Ring of Sustenance can be helpful, especially for noncasters. Least Crystals of Return are only 300 gp each and are very nice in your weapons, giving you the benefits of Quick Draw without having to spend a feat. Stat boosters (Gloves of Dex, Amulet of Con) are expensive, but you'll need them eventually, so if you've nothing else to buy, get those.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-09-16, 07:27 PM
Wis 14 to increase my detection skills, this DM is a fan of ambushes and stuff like that, also since we houserule that one can get more info through the scent ability with Wis checks (or survival I don't remember ATM), and finally it helps to shore my Will save.

Equipment, thanks I had forgotten about the Crystals, MTW tool of concentration might be difficult to justify IG (while some kind of incience or such might help with concentrating, I don't think they would be useable during combat).

I am considering on getting a cape (i think it was a cape) of Desert Wind to get one of the boost that gives 1dx+IL of fire damage, it will help with my Damage output and I can enchant it with resistance or something like that.

PId6
2010-09-16, 11:40 PM
Mwk tools of Concentration could just be a headband to keep sweat out of your eyes and help you focus. It's only +2, so it doesn't have to be fancy.

Burning Blade isn't a bad maneuver to grab, especially if you're TWFing.