Level: Brd 6, Sor/Wiz 8
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Personal; see text
Target: You; see text
Duration: 1 minute/level; see text
Saving Throw: Will negates; see text
Spell Resistance: Yes

Upon casting this spell, you become so beautiful that even the most level-headed will want a piece of you. Any humanoid within close range (25 + 5 ft./2 levels) that can see you becomes charmed as the spell charm person unless they succeed on a Will saving throw. If a creature is currently being threatened or attacked by you or your allies, however, it receives a +5 bonus on its saving throw. If a subject succeeds on their Will save, they do not need to make any more saving throws against this spell, unless it is cast again. Creatures who fail their save are charmed for 1 day/level.

You may charm a number of creatures whose combined HD do not exceed five times your level.

Latronis
2010-09-12, 07:14 AM
Are you aware of Charm Person, Mass (races of destiny)?

this version is a step up but it's still very similiar.

BUT

getting down to it.... it needs a clause saying something like someone who fails a save cant be affected by the same casting of it again. Else what? everytime they blink they have to resave that's a lot of saves in 20minutes...

AND what happens when you try affect too many HD of humanoids?

some variation of

If there are more potential targets than you can affect, you choose them one at a time until you choose a creature with too many HD.

would be the standard wording

137beth
2010-09-12, 07:30 AM
This is a duration spell, whereas mass charm person effects everyone who is in range on the turn you cast it. If used in a non-combat situation, this allows you to walk through several areas automatically charming everyone who fails their save. That is a LOT more useful for something such as sneaking into a castle without the guards killing you. In short: it is substantially better than mass charm person.

Temotei
2010-09-12, 11:35 AM
getting down to it.... it needs a clause saying something like someone who fails a save cant be affected by the same casting of it again. Else what? everytime they blink they have to resave that's a lot of saves in 20minutes...

I had it in there, but I must have accidentally deleted it when I copy-pasted that 1/day part...I'll put it back in there.

AND what happens when you try affect too many HD of humanoids?

some variation of

If there are more potential targets than you can affect, you choose them one at a time until you choose a creature with too many HD.

would be the standard wording

The reason I didn't put it in there is because you're basically walking around looking pretty, charming those who go past. If you run into the maximum HD, you can't affect anyone else, period. Though, if you walk by someone with too much HD to affect, you can just keep walking and find someone with less to affect, assuming you still have some HD to spare.

On spell level: Mass charm person is 5th level for the sorcerer/wizard and 4th level for the bard. I raised it by three levels for the sorcerer/wizard and two for the bard. I'm thinking that should be enough.

Latronis
2010-09-13, 06:19 AM
Then you need to get rid of the or at least one person regardless of HD thing. That's counter to 'if you run out of HD to charm too bad'

Also it's still a little nichey, in many circumstances you can do just aswell with mass charm for a lesser slot.

Temotei
2010-09-13, 07:10 PM
Then you need to get rid of the or at least one person regardless of HD thing. That's counter to 'if you run out of HD to charm too bad'

Ahh...copy-paste error. :smallsigh:

Also it's still a little nichey, in many circumstances you can do just aswell with mass charm for a lesser slot.

Probably, though this allows a couple more people to be affected, usually. What would you suggest, if anything?

AgentPaper
2010-09-13, 07:19 PM
I'd say, remove the HD limit altogether. It's an 8th level spell, it can be pretty powerful and do things lower level spells can't do. I mean, what're you afraid players are going to do, mesmerize an army? Shouldn't they be able to at that point?

Tetrasodium
2010-09-13, 07:33 PM
I had it in there, but I must have accidentally deleted it when I copy-pasted that 1/day part...I'll put it back in there.

The reason I didn't put it in there is because you're basically walking around looking pretty, charming those who go past. If you run into the maximum HD, you can't affect anyone else, period. Though, if you walk by someone with too much HD to affect, you can just keep walking and find someone with less to affect, assuming you still have some HD to spare.

Targets should get a bonus to save if you are doing anything suspicious or out of place, possibly a big one... this pretty much negates the need for bluff/diplomacy/hide & move silent with your example.

Temotei
2010-09-18, 04:02 PM
I increased the HD limit to five times the caster's level.

Why remove the limit altogether? The "mass" spells have limits, and those are only a level or two below this.

Latronis
2010-09-18, 07:03 PM
cept mass charm (monster) :P