PDA

View Full Version : Craft (fetishes)

Heliomance
2010-09-12, 05:36 AM
From my DMing notes:

Fetishes are trinkets or charms with some small magical effect. Bound as they are into the very fabric of the magic in the world, they don't require a spellcaster to imbue them with power. They simply hold some small amount of magic by virtue of their very existance.*
Making a fetish requires obtaining the constituent parts and making a Craft (fetishes) check. The ingredients, time, and DC are given individually for each fetish.*
Though fetishes do not take up a magic item slot, a wearer can only benefit from up to three fetishes at once - usually, but not always, one around the throat, one around a wrist, and one pinned over the heart. Any more than three and the magics interfere with each other, giving a 50% chance that a fetish will fail to function when called upon.

New item: Traveller's charm (Fetish)
This charm is usually fashioned in the form of a buttonhole, though it needn't be so. It consists of a sprig of speedwell, or Traveller's Joy, together with a Rowan twig, anointed with the juice of a mistletoe berry and bound with silver. Making one requires two hours' work and a successful DC20 Craft (fetishes) check. *In addition to allowing entry to Faerie, wearing this charm provides a +1 enhancement bonus to all saves enhanced by the Endurance feat. **

I'm trying to come up with more fetishes that would be useful. They only want to have minor effects, but little things that the players would want to have.

A quick note about my cosmology, Faerie is a different plane. It can be accessed by simply walking through some doorways, but only if wearing a traveller's charm.

Shademan
2010-09-12, 05:38 AM
well I am dissapointed!
Ahem, anyways, for a high ranking fetish would a voodoo doll work?

Heliomance
2010-09-12, 08:32 PM
Why do my threads never pick up replies?
Bump.

iDM
2010-09-12, 08:42 PM
Pentacle fetish
A silver pentacle steeped in chrysanthemum oil and laid out in a sauna of incense smoke for seven hours, this makes the wearer more receptive to the energies of other worlds. Any creature summoned by the wearer gains one Hit Die or stays for 20% longer, whichever the summoner chooses.
Normally, this requires a DC 20 Craft check to make, but by succeeding on a DC 25 check, the fetish allows the use of both abilities at once.

Bugbeartrap
2010-09-12, 08:43 PM
What sort of effects are you looking for? More RP fluff? Out-of-combat bonuses? I dig the Fairy charm, since I'm on a bit of a fey kick myself right now. Perhaps some stuff from history?

Mayhaps a wolfclaw bracelet? When powered by a drop of blood (take 1 HP dmg) gives a +1 to track.

iDM
2010-09-12, 08:49 PM
Mayhaps a wolfclaw bracelet? When powered by a drop of blood (take 1 HP dmg) gives a +1 to track.

Cool, that's way better than mine.

Heliomance
2010-09-12, 09:33 PM
Ooh, I like both of those.
As for what sort of bonuses I want, probably mostly out of combat. It's meant to be a nice flavourful thing that gives some minor perks, not an extension of the Christmas tree effect.

Fax Celestis
2010-09-12, 10:49 PM
Take a look at the Trophy Collector feat in PHB-II.