PDA

View Full Version : How does Ruse stack up to other RTSes?

Kizara
2010-09-12, 05:43 AM
So, I've been seeing adds for this around lately.

I looked it up, but couldn't find any useful, unbiased info on the game.

So I'm looking for playgrounder's takes on it, and if it's worth anything.

My first reaction is that its a console RTS, so that's auto-fail.

I'm an oldschool RTS vet, having played a lot of what the genre has to offer. I've skipped many recent titles (RA & C&C 4, SupCom 2) because of the watered-down, crappy gameplay and other concerns.

I like a wide variety of RTS games, some much more then others. I probably played Wc3 the longest and most seriously, and am really enjoying SC2 now (nearly diamond! :smallsmile:).

Other big favorities of mine:

Battle for Middle-Earth 2. This game didn't get much of a community, but it was well polished and had surprizing complexity. It's unfortunate that the campaign was pretty weak.

Medieval: Total War 2. This game has its flaws, but man do I love the strategic map combined with the fairly-decent RTS battles.

Sins of a Solar Empire. What a unique gem, a very original take on macro and scale. Although unoriginal, I like the flavor of the factions.

Supreme Commander. Dear god is this game good. I wish I was better at it, as it is I have to settle for enjoying being mediocure. The plotline is comical, but still has a unique and highly enjoyable gameplay.

Anyways, enough of my rambling thoughts of other games, which are present here to give you some prespective of where I come from and what I'd be interested in.

Thus, when you review/comment on Ruse, tell me where you are coming from, and how it stacks up against good, competitive RTS games.

FoeHammer
2010-09-12, 10:45 AM
Why don't you decide for yourself (http://news.bigdownload.com/2010/08/26/download-ruse-demo/)?

Kizara
2010-09-12, 04:02 PM
I heard that there was considerable difference between the demo and the actual game, although I'm not sure about that ethier.

Can anyone confirm/deny?

BRC
2010-09-12, 10:47 PM
I played the Demo a little. As far as I can tell, they've pretty much completely eliminated Micro, the game is almost entirely Macro-based, but the resource system is pretty simplistic.
The Ruse's in question are more like boost to units in an area. You make your units temporarily faster, or less likely to retreat. The whole "Decieve your enemy" thing is, as far as I can tell, just a minor feature (one Ruse involves deploying fake units) that the marketing team decided to base their campaign around.
Now I'm not usually a big fan of Starcraft-style fiddly-bits micro, but the total lack of it in this game made it not as fun for me. It's probably a taste thing, but I felt fairly passive, like all I could do was sit and watch as my units were taken apart. The scale is set very far back too, I don't know, maybe because the last WWII RTS I played was Company of Heroes, but somthing about Ruse bugged me.