PDA

View Full Version : D&D Confidence Tricks.

Scarey Nerd
2010-09-12, 05:48 AM
I am going to be playing a Changeling Rogue in the next month or so, and I intend for part of his backstory to be using his enjoyment at taking on disguises to pull Con Tricks on people. However, I cannot think of many such tricks, other than Salting (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salting_(confidence_trick)), and possibly using the Minor Change Shape to force nobles into compromising positions and blackmailing them.

Any ideas are very welcome :smallsmile:

Ravens_cry
2010-09-12, 10:30 AM
You could use slight of hand for a game of 3 card Monty. If you have (had?) a partner, you could pull the trick seen at the start of The Sting, which involved Bluff AND Slight o' Hand.

Human Paragon 3
2010-09-12, 02:53 PM
You could run the scam from the beginning of Zombieland. A woman is late to catch an airplane (D&D: Coach, or if in Eberon, lightning rail), but she's lost her extremely valuable engagement ring (If you please, magic ring).

She asks a passerby for help (in the movie, it's a gas station attendant, but if you run in in D&D, make sure it's in front of somebody who would have a lot of money. A nobel, merchant or adventurer for instance). I lost my diamond engagement ring (Ring of free movement) It's worth $40,000 (GP), and I need to find it, but I'm going to miss the airplane (carriage) and if I'm late, I'll miss the wedding (correnation)! Oh, thanks for helping me look, but I have to go. If you find it, mail it to me and I'll pay you a reward, $10,000 (gp)!

You leave, then have your accomplice "find" the ring in sight of the mark. Then get the mark to offer to buy it from you, either for the reward (mark is honest) or to sell it themsleves (mark is dishonest). If you are pretending it's a magic ring make sure to cast Magic Auro etc. on it. Of course, the ring is a piece of worthless costume jewelery.

big teej
2010-09-12, 04:51 PM
I am yoinking the ring plot for my dwarf rogue, thankyou much :smallbiggrin:

also, for small scale cons, cheat at cards, rig the dice. sell gullable farmers 'farmland'

or my personal favorite

"I will trade you a box filled with eternal joy and contentment in exchange for t he deed of your boat"

alrighty, here's the deed to me boat

"excellent, the package shall be shipped to your boat first thing in the morning"

but I no longer own said boat

"I'm sorry but no address NO PACKAGE"

nooooooooo