PDA

View Full Version : OOTS #746 - The Discussion Thread

The Giant
2010-09-12, 02:29 PM
New comic is up.

JoshuaZ
2010-09-12, 02:32 PM
New comic is up.

Ok. Someone want to explain what the giant hand puppet is referencing?

Istari
2010-09-12, 02:32 PM
Wow, those old guys are hilarious

Agi Hammerthief
2010-09-12, 02:34 PM
oh ooh, for me too please :smallredface:

ze german has no clue vat zat is aboot :smallwink:

SPoD
2010-09-12, 02:34 PM

Kukla, Fran, and Ollie, an influential TV puppet show from the 1950's and 60's. Specifically, that's Ollie, the dragon.

JoshuaZ
2010-09-12, 02:36 PM
Kukla, Fran, and Ollie, an influential TV puppet show from the 1950's and 60's. Specifically, that's Ollie, the dragon.

Thanks. I think I have some vague memory of a puppet dragon called Ollie but it could be memory playing tricks on me (there are some fascinating studies about the sort of things you can get people to remember that are very false.)

Deme
I figured it was from some sort of kid's TV; it had the look.
A great set of jokes overall. I mean, I guess one could argue it's not really advancing anything...but screw that. This is 'stop and smell the funny jokes' time. I'm pretty pleased.

NothingButCake
Ok. Someone want to explain what the giant hand puppet is referencing?It's the MitD.

The Tygre

God bless ye. I laughed anyway, even though I didn't know -what- was going on. Wouldn't be the first time, either.

Agi Hammerthief

gosh, how old are YOU to know that? :smalltongue: :smallbiggrin:
or is it the re-runns on british TV?

Draconi Redfir
i fear less about Ollie and more for the giant guy who'se hand that is. must be a giant liveing under the arena.

Draconi Redfir
2010-09-12, 02:38 PM
just thought of this: (no point in editing my new post as three more will pop up as i write this)
edit: or not

Banjo: god of puppets

Ollie: = a puppet

therefore:

Ollie is a warrior for Banjo!!!!

TerrickTerran
2010-09-12, 02:39 PM
Pokey-men for the win.:smallbiggrin:

Mercenary Pen
2010-09-12, 02:39 PM
must be the giant liveing under the arena.

There, fixed it for you, though I wouldn't have thought living underneath a gladiatorial arena was too good for writing webcomics...

LOTRfan
2010-09-12, 02:41 PM
Do you guys think we'll actually see the Allosaurus? I was sort of hoping we'd see the Diplodocuses in the dinosaur stable strip, but how cool would Roy vs. Allosaurus be?

npc revolution
2010-09-12, 02:44 PM
I'm also among those who don't get the reference.

Crisis21
2010-09-12, 02:45 PM
Do you guys think we'll actually see the Allosaurus? I was sort of hoping we'd see the Diplodocuses in the dinosaur stable strip, but how cool would Roy vs. Allosaurus be?

The world would explode from the awesomeness. *nods*

MammonAzrael
2010-09-12, 02:47 PM
Haha...I don't get the reference, and its still amusing. Love the old dudes.:smallsmile:

And "Do not use the word conscience in a sentence ever again."

There goes that theory of Belkar dying...for the moment at least.

otakuryoga
2010-09-12, 02:49 PM
wow...and i felt old when i used bullwinkles line modified into an inc message in everquest( hey, rocky, watch me pull a %t back to the camp) and no one could give the proper response
or when someone in day of defeat the other day for some reason mentiond savoirfare and i hop on the mic and reply "Savoir Fare eeez evvrywheeerrrrrree!!" and no one had a clue where that was from

but this was beyond even me

John Cribati
2010-09-12, 02:49 PM
W love our Pokey-Men at GITP, don't we.

137beth
2010-09-12, 02:50 PM
Lol, "he's better than me, obviously":smallsmile:

Zore
2010-09-12, 02:52 PM
That was an excellent comic, I really enjoyed every character and joke in it. Specifically I loved the 'pokey-man' and Belkar's "I'm going to wave a pebble around at them for a while." :smallcool:

HUMVEE Driver
2010-09-12, 02:52 PM
{scrubbed}

pflare
2010-09-12, 02:53 PM
Oh geeze. Pokey-men. I laughed

Lycar
2010-09-12, 02:53 PM

From the 60's ? Okay, that was way before I was born and I though *I* was old... what with being at the deep(er) end of the 30's..

Makes one almost feel young angan. :smallbiggrin:

I'm also among those who don't get the reference.

Can help with the Allosaurus (http://www.irregularwebcomic.net/fanart/allo_pres.jpgthe Allosaurus) though.

Lycar

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-09-12, 02:56 PM
Y'know, really a warrior of Roy's level should be able to handle an allosaur even if it was half-again as tough as the Tyrannosaurus.

And geeze, that joke is almost before my parent's time and I'm within a few years of 30 :smallconfused:

However, it is creepy as heck!

The Pilgrim
2010-09-12, 02:57 PM
Roy may be reluctant to execute prisoners in the arena. But Belkar will not be.

Dun, dun, duuun...

Stmr5000
2010-09-12, 02:58 PM
{{Scrubbed}}

teratorn
2010-09-12, 02:59 PM
Outdated? That's a monster that could come from the Banjo Pantheon.

Edit: thanks SPoD, but how did you know that? (just checked your age in the profile).

Mando Knight
2010-09-12, 03:00 PM

Interesting. I thought it was some kind of sock-puppet monster (I mean, look at it. It looks like a sock puppet crossed with a muppet), but didn't realize it predated even Sesame Street.

Zea mays
2010-09-12, 03:00 PM
"Not dying is one of my best skills"

Dang, I should put that on my resume.

Maxios
2010-09-12, 03:10 PM
Huh. I almost want to see if someone is getting eaten or battling the allosaurus. Perhaps that's how belkar is destroyed.

littlekKID
2010-09-12, 03:13 PM
The old guys are funny, I think I'm gonna like those NPCs :smallbiggrin:

Mercenary Pen
2010-09-12, 03:14 PM
Personally, I reckon Rich could easily turn the gladiatorial games into a one on one- Roy vs. Belkar, survivor wins his freedom. Whether he will or not, I have no idea...

LOTRfan
2010-09-12, 03:15 PM
Y'know, really a warrior of Roy's level should be able to handle an allosaur even if it was half-again as tough as the Tyrannosaurus.

Yeah, Allosaurs are only CR 7, but it would still be awesome....

Badgercloak
2010-09-12, 03:17 PM
Ollie! It's Ollie from Kukla, Fran, and Ollie!

Yendor
2010-09-12, 03:17 PM

Dun, dun, duuun...

So how does Roy feel about executing definitely not-innocent prisoners?

chiasaur11
2010-09-12, 03:21 PM
I'm afraid I confused Ollie with Cecil the Sea Serpent.

It's one of my brain's more common filing errors.

MarkusWolfe
2010-09-12, 03:23 PM
i fear less about Ollie and more for the giant guy who'se hand that is. must be a giant liveing under the arena.

I imagine that's more likely to be a titan.

Coidzor
2010-09-12, 03:26 PM
Wow. See, I just thought it was a fraggle.

...I think my parents are old enough to have been around for that...:smallfrown:

MarkusWolfe
2010-09-12, 03:26 PM

Unless it be a FIENDISH Allosaurus, in which case Roy is in for a little trouble.

Dr.Epic
2010-09-12, 03:32 PM

Thank you. I was going to ask the same question. And yes, those guys should have gone with one of those pokey-men.

rewinn
2010-09-12, 03:33 PM
Ollie! It's Ollie from Kukla, Fran, and Ollie!
Technically, an Ollie-saurus.

factotum
2010-09-12, 03:37 PM
So, a joke that only Americans in their 60s or over would understand? Limits the audience somewhat, methinks. :smallwink:

PsychoticPanda
2010-09-12, 03:38 PM
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Wave that pebble Belkar!

:eek: "he's got a PEBBLE!!!"

Ranzunar
2010-09-12, 03:47 PM
If Roy does fight the allosaurus then I bet Elan would feel quite conflicted about who to root for. I mean, best friend or awesome dinosaur is always a tough choice.

RdMarquis
2010-09-12, 03:48 PM
That reference went right over my head, but the guys getting attacked by a hand puppet was hilarious (I kind of imagine there was a really big person in that pit), as well as the old guys behind the times.

Callista
2010-09-12, 03:49 PM
Typical response from Roy--he won't kill innocents, and can probably keep up such a good defensive fight that the audience will fall asleep before he gets any more than a few scratches. It's Belkar who's going to be the wild card here. Belkar's actions, and Roy's responsibility to try to keep a leash on the little sociopath, are going to make this interesting. Roy and Belkar are probably going to end up separated and that gives Belkar free rein to cause whatever carnage he likes.

Roy vs. Belkar? Hmm... Roy probably wins. Belkar's not that optimized, and not as smart as Roy. But if Belkar gets a chance to pull something like he did with Miko and the sake, he might have a shot.

shadowkiller
2010-09-12, 03:53 PM
Unless it be a FIENDISH Allosaurus, in which case Roy is in for a little trouble.

No it would have to be a Half Dragon Allosaurus that might be the illegitimate offspring of the Empress of Blood.

Tirian
2010-09-12, 03:54 PM

...I think my parents are old enough to have been around for that...:smallfrown:

Your parents were probably around for the tail end of KFO when it was about as lame as Shari Lewis' stuff. I'm in my early 40's and had no trouble recognizing it as an Ollie-saurus.

In a nutshell, KFO is the ingenious puppetry show that Jim Henson was watching when he was a teenager and he brought it the rest of the way from wooden marionettes to the sophistication that we see today.

MonkeyBusiness
2010-09-12, 04:01 PM
An Olliesaurus? <shakes head> Now I feel like a dinosaur! :smallmad: Oh well. This monkey will not go gently into that good night. Or those awful re-runs.

But it was hilarious, if only because it was completely unexpected! :smallamused:

- Monkey

Katana_Geldar
2010-09-12, 04:06 PM

I actually thought that was HR Pufnstuf.

Blas_de_Lezo
2010-09-12, 04:07 PM
Thank you Giant! :smallsmile:

LOTRfan
2010-09-12, 04:08 PM
No it would have to be a Half Dragon Allosaurus that might be the illegitimate offspring of the Empress of Blood.

Now that's a disturbing thought...

MarkusWolfe
2010-09-12, 04:09 PM
But if Belkar gets a chance to pull something like he did with Miko and the sake, he might have a shot.

I forget; when did that happen?

HUMVEE Driver
2010-09-12, 04:16 PM
Dammit!

Foiled at last!

MarkusWolfe
2010-09-12, 04:17 PM

Have you looked at that Dragon recently? It's a female, remember? I can't think an Allosaurus, or even a Tyrannosaurus, could force itself onto her, nor could either of them seduce such such a creature. And I don't think dragons have human-level sex drives, so there's no chance she was just really horny and a dinosaur was the only thing around.......

*realizes what he's discussing*:smalleek:

I think I need to get away from the internet for a bit. Maybe go have dinner or something

herrhauptmann
2010-09-12, 04:18 PM
Yeah, Allosaurs are only CR 7, but it would still be awesome....

I think it would take a fiendish dire halfdragon allosaurus to really challenge roy and belkar. I mean, a CR 7, vs a pair of warriors in the teens?
Kukla Fran and Ollie,
Oh my god, save me from product placement ads. And I thought the Camel Cigarette ones in Abbot & Costello show were bad.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZxSbjhBFRs

My first thought honestly, the Luck Dragon from Neverending Story.

edit:

During the trial in Azure City (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0270.html)

blunk
2010-09-12, 04:22 PM
no one could give the proper responseOne could even say that your trick never worked.

NerfTW
2010-09-12, 04:23 PM

Strip 270 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0270.html), during the chase sequence through the palace while the trial was taking place.

Threeshades
2010-09-12, 04:27 PM
I hope we're going to see the Allosaurus.
We've been in this story arc for so long but i haven't seen one dinosaur yet.

Ellen
2010-09-12, 04:43 PM
The creepy thing is Kukla, Fran, and Ollie came up in a conversation less than an hour before I read this (part of an explanation for why someone had a DVD of a Czechoslovakian Cinderella, they'd first seen it on a kid's movie show that was hosted by Kukla, Fran, and Ollie [after the 50's/60's show, I think]).

sgtrocknroll
2010-09-12, 04:48 PM
I picked up on the Ollie-saurus right away, I'm only 44, I'm not THAT old!!!

HR PuffnStuff would be a good one...Or Lockheed from Xmen.

Marnath
2010-09-12, 04:52 PM
And I don't think dragons have human-level sex drives,

The half-dragon template can be applied to ANY living, corporeal creature......everything from human to horse to giant centipede to gelatinous cube....

Wonton
2010-09-12, 04:56 PM
Is Rich a grandparent now? :smallconfused:

Wardog
2010-09-12, 04:59 PM
And I don't think dragons have human-level sex drives,

The half-dragon template can be applied to ANY living, corporeal creature......everything from human to horse to giant centipede to gelatinous cube....

Yeah, dragons seem to beat even humans and orcs in the "breed with just about anything" stakes.

Gwynfrid
2010-09-12, 05:19 PM
Great, great strip, especially because you can enjoy it even if you don't get the exact reference (I'm not from the US so I don't stand a chance). Beautiful, Rich !

MarkusWolfe
2010-09-12, 05:20 PM

Yeah, dragons seem to beat even humans and orcs in the "breed with just about anything" stakes.

Back again.

Was just thinking about that.......the most likely candidate would be a Great Wyrm Black Dragon, as they have the Charm Reptile spell 3/day........

shadowkiller
2010-09-12, 05:25 PM
Have you looked at that Dragon recently? It's a female, remember? I can't think an Allosaurus, or even a Tyrannosaurus, could force itself onto her, nor could either of them seduce such such a creature. And I don't think dragons have human-level sex drives, so there's no chance she was just really horny and a dinosaur was the only thing around.......

*realizes what he's discussing*:smalleek:

I think I need to get away from the internet for a bit. Maybe go have dinner or something

It was meant to be a joke on how some people around here think everyone in this comic is related.

CoffeeIncluded
2010-09-12, 05:32 PM
Aww, I would have liked the Pokey-men. :smalltongue:

Inhuman Bot
2010-09-12, 06:21 PM
I'm just going to say it's a Pikmin reference. :smalltongue:

Calmness
2010-09-12, 06:42 PM
Yeah I wouldn't want to mess with that, either.

shadowxknight
2010-09-12, 06:50 PM
Pokemon is old news.
It's all about Yu-Gi-Oh nowadays. :smallwink:

Nate the Snake
2010-09-12, 06:51 PM
Aww, I would have liked the Pokey-men. :smalltongue:

Me too. :smallbiggrin:

It could happen. They just need a gladiator with levels in paladin or blackguard.

JonestheSpy
2010-09-12, 07:06 PM
You don't have to be that old to know Kookla, Fran, and Ollie - I saw reruns as a kid. Although I suppose you do have to be of a certain age to have watched many reruns at all.

And is there anyone else out there hoping the Allosaurus will somehow reference Irregular Webcomic (http://irregularwebcomic.net/408.html)?

dps
2010-09-12, 07:14 PM
You don't have to be that old to know Kookla, Fran, and Ollie - I saw reruns as a kid. Although I suppose you do have to be of a certain age to have watched many reruns at all.

And is there anyone else out there hoping the Allosaurus will somehow reference Irregular Webcomic (http://irregularwebcomic.net/408.html)?

Yeah, I'm probably about the oldest poster here (born 1962) and Kukla, Fran, and Ollie was technically before even my time--the original run of the show was from 1949-1957. But I remember watching it when I was a little kid, so yeah, reruns.

I figured the reference to being eaten by an Allosaurus was a reference to Sara from Questionable Content.

the_tick_rules
2010-09-12, 07:40 PM
I don't know what that is either, but we're making progress.

Thomar_of_Uointer
2010-09-12, 07:45 PM
Hehe, if Pompei and Durkon get into a summon monster match, I'm sure we'll see some pokey-men.

Even though we already know that all Paladins keep their mounts in pokeballs...

Ephir
2010-09-12, 07:51 PM
Praise the Gods for youtube.

Kukla Fran and Ollie (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEzwaIYN2ZA)

:smallamused:

Hrairoo
2010-09-12, 08:21 PM
haha, this arc is getting more and more awesome! i just hope there's another sw:aotc reference in the arena vs the allosaurus!

permissionmag
2010-09-12, 08:22 PM
So, a joke that only Americans in their 60s or over would understand? Limits the audience somewhat, methinks. :smallwink:

I direct you to the great David Mitchell when it comes to so-called "obscure" references:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjG9JcyLYbw

"It's all about hearing words, ideas, phrases, and references you don't understand; and either working them out from context, asking someone, or looking them up.
I first came across Proust via Monty Python and Wagner via Bugs Bunny. And though that means I'm now always slightly surprised when the singer portraying Brunhilda doesn't break off to gnaw on a carrot, it certainly didn't stop me enjoying the cartoon at the time."

Xorbon
2010-09-12, 08:46 PM
Ha ha! I didn't have to get that puppet reference to find that hilarious! I also liked the Pokey-Men reference, showing that even when they try to be current, they're still off by a number of years. :smallbiggrin:

Deuce
2010-09-12, 08:47 PM

Not that old. Wikipedia has their first run as 1947-1957, but they also hosted a movie show on CBS up to 1978 - Pretty sure that's where my awareness of them comes from.

NerfTW
2010-09-12, 08:58 PM
Well, if we really want to kill the joke dead, the whole point of referencing an extremely old show was to make the joke about grandparents. Getting the reference isn't the punchline of the comic. It's clear to anyone from Roy's reaction that it's an extremely old reference, and sets up the joke about how old the two gladiators are.

JonahFalcon
2010-09-12, 09:25 PM
No one knows whence the dreaded Ollie-saurus came, only that it was fearsome and ate humanoids with an extremely contented yet supremely bored expression. The only being who could control it, the giant Kukla, had vanished. And one could only guess how large the Fran Rex was ... or what manner of being had stuck his hand up the Ollie-saurus.

They still talk about when the land was infested by Topo Gigios, too.

Scarlet Knight
2010-09-12, 09:36 PM
Yeah, I'm probably about the oldest poster here (born 1962) and Kukla, Fran, and Ollie was technically before even my time--the original run of the show was from 1949-1957. But I remember watching it when I was a little kid, so yeah, reruns.

Same boat here, I saw the comic and went "Oh my Lord! It's...it's..what's it's name! BWA!

I just hope the comic runs long enough to make it a running joke with Kermit, then with Barney..

CoffeeIncluded
2010-09-12, 09:38 PM
Yes, but now that they've been introduced and discussed their strategies, they're dead.

Nightfall
2010-09-12, 09:41 PM
Same boat here, I saw the comic and went "Oh my Lord! It's...it's..what's it's name! BWA!

I just hope the comic runs long enough to make it a running joke with Kermit, then with Barney..

No, you're not the oldest here. I was born in 1956 and watched Kukla, Fran and Ollie the first time it came around. KF&O for the win, Giant! I laughed my butt off!

delguidance
2010-09-12, 09:52 PM
If the Ollie is a warrior for Banjo, I'd guess Punch & Judy, and all the muppets would be too, and now I'd like to see them statted out.

Linkavitch
2010-09-12, 09:59 PM
After seeing this comic, I have only one thing to say: LOL! (and I actually mean it!)

tcrudisi
2010-09-12, 10:22 PM
Typical response from Roy--he won't kill innocents, and can probably keep up such a good defensive fight that the audience will fall asleep before he gets any more than a few scratches. It's Belkar who's going to be the wild card here. Belkar's actions, and Roy's responsibility to try to keep a leash on the little sociopath, are going to make this interesting. Roy and Belkar are probably going to end up separated and that gives Belkar free rein to cause whatever carnage he likes.

Roy vs. Belkar? Hmm... Roy probably wins. Belkar's not that optimized, and not as smart as Roy. But if Belkar gets a chance to pull something like he did with Miko and the sake, he might have a shot.

It won't end up as Roy vs. Belkar because Roy is too smart for that, as an above poster mentioned with his ability to survive. It's speculation, but I think that Roy believes he needs Belkar to defeat team evil and save the world from Snarl. So even if Belkar gets out of hand in the arena, he'll try to subdue him, not kill him.

Magothys
2010-09-12, 10:33 PM
Pokey-men :smallconfused:? With the pokey and the men where the guys come out of the thing?

Jarrick
2010-09-12, 10:36 PM
Wow, that is the single most obscure reference I can call to mind in this comic. Well done, Giant. An interesting read, this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kukla,_Fran_and_Ollie

It had a DVD release last year that I'm going to have to look into now. :smalltongue:

Video from youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZxSbjhBFRs

Asthix
2010-09-12, 10:37 PM
Um... yes?

Anyway, I present to you, the newest fanclub itP! (see signature)

captainswift
2010-09-12, 10:41 PM
What's weird is the Bob Clampett cartoon series based on the show. The show was live action with puppets. The toons were, well, cartoons. But Ollie was drawn to look exactly like a puppet. With a big arm and everything.

JonestheSpy
2010-09-12, 10:46 PM
If the Ollie is a warrior for Banjo, I'd guess Punch & Judy, and all the muppets would be too, and now I'd like to see them statted out.

I'm actually pretty sure that Belkar is actually Punch reincaranted as a non-puppet.

Morgan Wick
2010-09-12, 10:55 PM

Dun, dun, duuun...

:belkar:: Look, you lost a level when you came back from the dead AND you probably weren't level grinding during all those months you were gone. Don't you think you could use the XP?
:roy:: I'd feel a lot better about that advice if it weren't coming from you.

I'm apparently not the first whose thoughts turned to Irregular Webcomic, though I am one of the very few...

Prowl
2010-09-12, 11:07 PM
I'm probably twice as old as the average reader here and this was still before my time.

Kish
2010-09-12, 11:36 PM
:belkar:: Look, you lost a level when you came back from the dead AND you probably weren't level grinding during all those months you were gone. Don't you think you could use the XP?

:roy:: I realize you don't pay any attention when someone tells you this, Belkar, but you get XP for defeating foes, not for killing them.
I'd just like to suggest a different line for Roy.

Petrocorus
2010-09-12, 11:57 PM
Yes, but now that they've been introduced and discussed their strategies, they're dead.

Arguably, that possible. Something will happen and one of them will end in the arena.

Maybe Roy will kill someone to save one of them. When he said that he won't kill anyone, i thought his will is to be challenged.

i don't believe in Roy vs Belkar, they know they are the two most powerful, Belkar don't need to kill anyone, and Roy has enough influence on him not to let him kill someone just for the lulz. I don't see Belkar trying to fight Roy.

whitelaughter
2010-09-13, 01:45 AM
Technically, an Ollie-saurus.
oooow.....[whimpers]

Have you looked at that Dragon recently? It's a female, remember? I can't think an Allosaurus, or even a Tyrannosaurus, ... nor could either of them seduce such such a creature.

He Majesty is trying to grow by consumption: so some of that fat is probably beer gut.
I'm guessing that the first time that she staggered through the palace, drunk and horny, was the time that Tarquin decided that they needed a 'stable' of dinosaurs to keep her distracted while tanked.

The only notable thing I remember about the D&D Allosaurus is that it was the only beastie that a Son of Kyuss can turn into a zombie....

Bubbles
2010-09-13, 01:52 AM
I thought that was Cecil the Seasick Seat Serpent until pointed out otherwise here, but is that...

...Ian Starshine, Haley's father, we just met? The old gladiator with the grey beard who is the better at dodging of the two old guys?

factotum
2010-09-13, 01:56 AM
Extremely unlikely to be him--we know that Ian Starshine isn't a grandfather, for a start, and we also know that his hair wasn't all grey when Haley was 16 or thereabouts (8 years ago in the comic's timeframe)--seems unlikely it would have all turned white that quickly.

Oh, and it's a stick figure comic--there's only so many different faces and hairstyles the Giant can include, so somebody looking similar to someone else doesn't mean they're the same person or even related!

Fishman
2010-09-13, 02:00 AM
The half-dragon template can be applied to ANY living, corporeal creature......everything from human to horse to giant centipede to gelatinous cube....What about dragons? Could you apply it twice to dragons because the other half is also dragon? Or maybe get some kind of mongrel dragon?

Bubbles
2010-09-13, 02:09 AM
First,it was the old gladiator with the smaller beard who commented about having a grandchild, not the one with a full beard. Second, you can save that tired old, limited appearances of stick figure schtick for truly wild pie in the sky guesses. Conjecture on when or if we may see Haley's father in this particular story arc is far from out of left field.

willpell
2010-09-13, 02:23 AM
I'm guessing that the first time that she staggered through the palace, drunk and horny, was the time that Tarquin decided that they needed a 'stable' of dinosaurs to keep her distracted while tanked.

I find myself unsurprised that a lot of posts in this thread are getting scrubbed.

I like the Empress idea. Remember, big girls need love too! ("But they gotta pay." --Quagmire)

Tundar
2010-09-13, 02:24 AM
Ask your grandparents. Hehehehe.

Handpuppets seems to be a never ending source of fun in the comic.

Lets see some fraggles too!

Killer Angel
2010-09-13, 02:51 AM
Nothing new for the plot, but the strip is hilarious! :smallbiggrin:

RMS Oceanic
2010-09-13, 03:55 AM
Crazy wacky theory time!

The "Northern-Skinned" White Haired man is:

Ian Starshine

Wibble Fish
2010-09-13, 04:27 AM
I remember playing the Kukla and Ollie board game (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/15718/kukla-and-ollie-game) with my parents (before moving onto things like d&d once I got a bit older).

So somehow, despite not being in the US and growing up during the Muppet era, I actually understood the reference :smalltongue:

Underground
2010-09-13, 04:54 AM
Kukla, Fran, and Ollie, an influential TV puppet show from the 1950's and 60's. Specifically, that's Ollie, the dragon. Whoa whoa whoa HOW old is the Giant, anyway ?

Plus of course, I'm not from the USA, so I dont know this show anyway.

Draxonicar
2010-09-13, 05:08 AM
Belkar using "Conscience" is pretty funny, IMO.

And yay for the olds guys.

LatemYvaeh
2010-09-13, 06:22 AM
See I remember Ollie from the kids show they did in the 70's
They were the host of a Saturday Morning Show tho I do remember my grandfather saying they were funnier when he first saw them in the 50's

factotum
2010-09-13, 06:32 AM
First,it was the old gladiator with the smaller beard who commented about having a grandchild, not the one with a full beard. Second, you can save that tired old, limited appearances of stick figure schtick for truly wild pie in the sky guesses. Conjecture on when or if we may see Haley's father in this particular story arc is far from out of left field.

OK, if that isn't enough evidence:

Roy said that the two of them looked as if they'd been there a long time (presumably because of their age), and neither of them disagreed with him. However, Ian Starshine has only been missing for about two years, which doesn't seem like a long time to me when compared to a human old age!

pjackson
2010-09-13, 06:34 AM
Yeah, I'm probably about the oldest poster here (born 1962)

You youngster :smallsmile:
1959 for me - but being British I never saw the program mentioned. Andy Pandy and the Woodentops were what we got.

GeekDaddy
2010-09-13, 06:59 AM
OLLIE! Too cool! And I love the arm being visible :) Very nice pop culture reference :)

SPoD
2010-09-13, 06:59 AM

Roy said that the two of them looked as if they'd been there a long time (presumably because of their age), and neither of them disagreed with him. However, Ian Starshine has only been missing for about two years, which doesn't seem like a long time to me when compared to a human old age!

The other evidence? Maybe. This idea? No. Here:

The one fact we know about Ian's personality is that he is a consummate near-pathological liar, and that he believes it is not only acceptable but actually necessary to lie to every single person you meet about the details of your life, in order to protect yourself. If that was Ian (and I'm not sure it is, but IF), then he would have no reason to contradict anything Roy said. He's going to let Roy believe whatever he wants to believe, because that's in line with his philosophy.

In fact, if next strip he looks Roy in the eye and says, "My name is Bob Smith, I've never been married, and I've been imprisoned here for ten years," this would STILL would not prove that it wasn't Ian Starshine, because Ian is a liar.

Themrys
2010-09-13, 07:00 AM
My theory is that:

Roy will refuse to kill someone in the arena. They will try to feed him to the Allosaurus, but Elan will be there and rescue him. (Elan hasn't seen the dinosaur stables yet: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0726.html )

Doug Lampert
2010-09-13, 07:27 AM

The show ended in 1957, 7 years before I was born and I got it.

It reran on PBS and the characters were used on CBS well after the show ended it's first run. You can easily get it if you're in your forties.

pendell
2010-09-13, 08:08 AM

QFT. At 39, I'm one of the older Playgrounders, and I didn't get it either.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Themrys
2010-09-13, 08:26 AM

Which is why the title tells you to ask your grandparents. :smalltongue:
That ensures that at least all Americans whose grandparents are still alive do understand the joke.

The MunchKING
2010-09-13, 08:30 AM
Thanks. I think I have some vague memory of a puppet dragon called Ollie but it could be memory playing tricks on me (there are some fascinating studies about the sort of things you can get people to remember that are very false.)

THAT's it. I saw that thing on Match Game.

I'd totally forgotten about that.

The MunchKING
2010-09-13, 08:33 AM

HEY!! I'm old enough to have been around for that!!

Blaznak
2010-09-13, 08:36 AM
I am impressed Rich knew the reference to put it in! Fun!

MarkusWolfe
2010-09-13, 08:57 AM

Animal:
STR 12
CON 12
DEX 16
INT 10
WIS 10
CHA 25 (originally 18 at character creation)

Class: 21 Bard

Skills:
Perform (percussion): 150 (144 rank + 6 CHA bonus)

(did not invest skill points in any other skill)

MarkusWolfe
2010-09-13, 09:02 AM
He Majesty is trying to grow by consumption: so some of that fat is probably beer gut.

Dear Kord, what have I started?

Rev. George
2010-09-13, 09:37 AM

Well the EoB DOES have Dinosaurs...

-+G

DigoDragon
2010-09-13, 09:50 AM

Given her majesty's size, I think they were more a snack than companionship :smallredface:

Swordpriest
2010-09-13, 09:52 AM
If Barney shows up here, then these are truly the End Times. :smalltongue: :smallwink:

factotum
2010-09-13, 10:02 AM
Animal:
INT 10

Not convinced about that, myself--we're talking a character whose entire communications consist of barely-legible screams (mostly of his own name)! :smallamused:

MarkusWolfe
2010-09-13, 10:16 AM
Not convinced about that, myself--we're talking a character whose entire communications consist of barely-legible screams (mostly of his own name)! :smallamused:

Well, those were just for skill points anyways.:smallbiggrin:

Scarlet Knight
2010-09-13, 10:17 AM
Dear Kord, what have I started?

Miss Piggy:
Alignment: CN
STR 14
CON 15
DEX 15
INT 10
WIS 06
CHA 18
Class: 5 Bard / 19 Monk

Skills: High ranks in Bluff , Intimidate, Diplomacy & tumble , a lot less in Perform

Petrocorus
2010-09-13, 11:35 AM
Extremely unlikely to be him--we know that Ian Starshine isn't a grandfather, for a start, and we also know that his hair wasn't all grey when Haley was 16 or thereabouts (8 years ago in the comic's timeframe)--seems unlikely it would have all turned white that quickly.

Well, two years in this kind of jail could perfectly have this effect on his hairs.

Once again, two years in this place is already a long time, even more if you consider the average life expectancy there.

Vectner
2010-09-13, 12:35 PM
Is Rich a grandparent now? :smallconfused:

I thought the same thing when I read this strip. Perhaps he is letting us in on his family.

I recognized Ollie right away, though I was used to seeing him in B&W.

pendell
2010-09-13, 12:55 PM
oooow.....[whimpers]

The only notable thing I remember about the D&D Allosaurus is that it was the only beastie that a Son of Kyuss can turn into a zombie....

It's at times like these that I'm suddenly very, very glad that the Crack Pairings thread, with associated artwork, is permanently locked.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

MarkusWolfe
2010-09-13, 01:59 PM
Miss Piggy:
Alignment: CN
STR 14
CON 15
DEX 15
INT 10
WIS 06
CHA 18
Class: 5 Bard / 19 Monk

Skills: High ranks in Bluff , Intimidate, Diplomacy & tumble , a lot less in Perform

Was actually referring to stable on dinosaurs being on hand for when the queen dragon is drunk and horny.

MarkusWolfe
2010-09-13, 02:00 PM

It's at times like these that I'm suddenly very, very glad that the Crack Pairings thread, with associated artwork, is permanently locked.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

I'm with ya man.

Baywolfe
2010-09-13, 02:22 PM
I'm probably twice as old as the average reader here and this was still before my time.

I'm 54 and I remember K, F & O.

Now I'm waiting for a Soupy Sales reference. Let the pie fight begin!

JonestheSpy
2010-09-13, 03:04 PM
Was actually referring to stable on dinosaurs being on hand for when the queen dragon is drunk and horny.

You do realize that this is not unlike suggesting that a drunk horny human would be happy "visiting the stable" with a gibbon or perhaps a lemur, don't you?

Scarlet Knight
2010-09-13, 03:10 PM

Ooooooh. Never mind. :smallredface:

teratorn
2010-09-13, 03:31 PM
About the identity of the old fighters.

Having Ian here would wrap a potential arc but there's too much already happening in this story arc.

Unless
Belkar ended up fighting Ian and Haley (or Elan) had to finish him off. That would make for a nice way to kill Belkar without getting all the Belkar fans winning for weeks and weeks. Yet I'd rather have Roy finishing Belkar.

If Barney shows up here, then these are truly the End Times. :smalltongue: :smallwink:

That show never aired here but yet I know I should fear that one.

LibraryOgre
2010-09-13, 04:03 PM
The Mod Wonder: Merged the Ollie-saurus thread into this one.

Lateral
2010-09-13, 04:29 PM
Who else thinks that if they send soldiers against Roy, he'll just knock one with a greatsword out, then take it and whoop the other's asses?

otakuryoga
2010-09-13, 04:37 PM
One could even say that your trick never worked.

exactly...most of those who even thought they got it replied with "nothing up my sleeve"

MarkusWolfe
2010-09-13, 05:13 PM
You do realize that this is not unlike suggesting that a drunk horny human would be happy "visiting the stable" with a gibbon or perhaps a lemur, don't you?

Dragons visit the stable with medium sized humanoids every other Tuesday, and sometimes ogres too judging by Enor. These guys have almost as many interspecial offspring as they do pure dragon offspring. I don't think they'd hesitate to get freaky with a dinosaur or 2.

hamishspence
2010-09-13, 05:18 PM
The whole "dragons get freaky with anything" issue has been raised a few times before. Even in WoTC supplements, such as Draconomicon, there are some pretty exotic hybrids.

In Draconomicon, one of the sample black dragons has produced a horde of hybrid offspring- including half-dragon plants- shambling mounds.

Fitzclowningham
2010-09-13, 05:32 PM
Just chiming in to say that I recognized Ollie, and I'm 41. Before cable really took off, there was a lot of recycling of content on TV.

gjp
2010-09-13, 06:29 PM
I feel like the gladiators may be a thinly veiled tribute to Cohen the Barbarian and the Silver Horde.. but Cohen & the Horde would never let themselves get captured without it being in their strategic advantage.

Kish
2010-09-13, 06:33 PM
I feel like the gladiators may be a thinly veiled tribute to Cohen the Barbarian and the Silver Horde..
Aside from the "no, not every old warrior ever is a tribute to one Discworld character who happens to be an old warrior" factor, Rich has said that he doesn't read Pratchett, and deliberately avoids doing so for fear it would influence his writing.

gjp
2010-09-13, 06:40 PM
Aside from the "no, not every old warrior ever is a tribute to one Discworld character who happens to be an old warrior" factor, Rich has said that he doesn't read Pratchett, and deliberately avoids doing so for fear it would influence his writing.

Thanks for clarifying.... the dialogue about how they avoid dying by dodging a lot sorta made me think of the way the old warriors avoid death by not being there when the blows are supposed to strike or something like that..

reading a second time, I can clearly appreciate no similarities between the characters..

JonestheSpy
2010-09-14, 12:04 AM
Dragons visit the stable with medium sized humanoids every other Tuesday, and sometimes ogres too judging by Enor. These guys have almost as many interspecial offspring as they do pure dragon offspring. I don't think they'd hesitate to get freaky with a dinosaur or 2.

Well, except for a few twisted GM creations, most half-dragons have sentient parents on both sides. Mating with animals is still mating with animals - ick.

Sort of like the definition of cannibalism in a world full of sapient races - the relevant part isn't whether it's the same species, it's whether what you're eating can talk.

Scarlet Knight
2010-09-14, 07:49 AM
Well, except for a few twisted GM creations, most half-dragons have sentient parents on both sides. Mating with animals is still mating with animals - ick.

As Willie Nelson once said, if you're gonna' have sex with an animal , make it a horse. If things don't work out, it least you've got a ride home...:smalltongue:

MarkusWolfe
2010-09-14, 08:53 AM
As Willie Nelson once said, if you're gonna' have sex with an animal , make it a horse. If things don't work out, it least you've got a ride home...:smalltongue:

http://www.deviantart.com/download/146911757/TF2_2_Girls_1_Cup_Reaction_by_lkhrizl.jpg

Faramir
2010-09-14, 01:36 PM
No, you're not the oldest here. I was born in 1956 and watched Kukla, Fran and Ollie the first time it came around. KF&O for the win, Giant! I laughed my butt off!

He's not even the second oldest, though you have me beat by 4 years. I see several others have chimed in as well. I also saw it occasionally (I think in reruns) though I would usually turn it off after a short time as I never thought it was any good. But it was part of the zeitgeist of the time in the US.

JohnnyPsycho
2010-09-14, 06:38 PM
Wow, a "Kukla, Fran and Ollie" reference? Sheesh, that's pretty obscure/ancient.

Personally, I would have gone with a "Beany and Cecil" reference...

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z176/drwagner67/2336342078_0dd3b9ffc1_o.gif

Wiffleboy
2010-09-14, 06:43 PM
Wow, a "Kukla, Fran and Ollie" reference? Sheesh, that's pretty obscure/ancient.

Personally, I would have gone with a "Beany and Cecil" reference...

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z176/drwagner67/2336342078_0dd3b9ffc1_o.gif

Oh yea that's way less obsure! :smallwink:

Tobimaro
2010-09-15, 12:03 AM

I happen to agree with the younger prisoner in the last panel. "You get back to me after your first grandchild is born and we'll see how daisy-fresh YOUR pop-culture jokes are, ok?" :smallcool: I still remember some of the jokes that I made at the expense of 80's cartoons, and I would know that those jokes would not be understood by the current audience. Smurfs, anyone? :smallwink:

One more thing. Nice way for those prisoners to survive. Do not get hit. Good advice. :smallsmile:

plsander
2010-09-15, 08:25 AM

Hey - I'm only 44 and I got the reference.

Expand your @#*$& horizons youngun! And get off my lawn!

factotum
2010-09-15, 10:07 AM
Hey - I'm only 44 and I got the reference.

Expand your @#*$& horizons youngun! And get off my lawn!

I'm 40, but not being American is probably a bigger obstacle to me getting it than my age...

Now, if the joke had been about Itsy and Bitsy the spiders, or maybe Fingermouse, I'd have been fine. :smallsmile:

Valifor
2010-09-15, 01:09 PM
I happen to agree with the younger prisoner in the last panel. "You get back to me after your first grandchild is born and we'll see how daisy-fresh YOUR pop-culture jokes are, ok?" :smallcool: I still remember some of the jokes that I made at the expense of 80's cartoons, and I would know that those jokes would not be understood by the current audience. Smurfs, anyone? :smallwink:

One more thing. Nice way for those prisoners to survive. Do not get hit. Good advice. :smallsmile:

hey, i'm only 18 and i fully remember the smurfs! :smallsmile:

now kukla, fran, and ollie, i had never heard of before this strip, that is true :smalltongue:

St Fan
2010-09-15, 02:43 PM
I still remember some of the jokes that I made at the expense of 80's cartoons, and I would know that those jokes would not be understood by the current audience. Smurfs, anyone? :smallwink:

I should point out that any Smurfs reference would much more easily be caught by Europeans readers. You may be aware of the 80s' cartoon, but the comic books are way older than that AND are still ongoing, for that matter. In fact, you'd probably have a very hard time finding any French or Belgian people NOT knowing about them.

Anyway, Rich has already done a Smurfs shout-out (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0147.html) once.

Petrocorus
2010-09-15, 02:56 PM
Anyway, Rich has already done a Smurfs shout-out (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0147.html) once.

I don't see the Smurf reference there?

St Fan
2010-09-15, 03:07 PM
I don't see the Smurf reference there?

"Is it much further, Papa Roach?"

Petrocorus
2010-09-15, 03:26 PM
"Is it much further, Papa Roach?"

OK, got it. I didn't read the roach speech.
And i never read the Smurf in English, so, not sure i would have understood anyway. Papa Smurf is Great Smurf in French.

AtlanteanTroll
2010-09-15, 04:11 PM
Pokey-Men? Hilarious. :smallbiggrin:

St Fan
2010-09-16, 10:48 AM
OK, got it. I didn't read the roach speech.
And i never read the Smurf in English, so, not sure i would have understood anyway. Papa Smurf is Great Smurf in French.

Oui, je suis au courant. Plus précisément, c'est le "Grand Schtroumpf".

Petrocorus
2010-09-16, 11:09 AM
Oui, je suis au courant. Plus précisément, c'est le "Grand Schtroumpf".

J'étais fan quand j'étais gosse, mais c'était il y a... ouf!

Threeshades
2010-09-16, 03:05 PM
Oh yea that's way less obsure! :smallwink:

well at least this one looks familiar to me :smallbiggrin: