PDA

View Full Version : The Unknowable Riddle (No-Magic 2)

appending_doom
2010-09-12, 02:51 PM
They say there are a million secrets in Linden, that everything worth knowing is stored here.

It cannot be true, now that there is a secret even the masters of magic cannot comprehend.

But the city has an air of age -- it was built, they say, by apprentice mages, and enhanced by their masters, millennia ago. And thus, there is the knowledge that there may be things hidden from view, and that nothing is as it seems.

This must be true of the Arcane College itself, as it appears to be little more than an adamantine tower, smooth as glass as just as impassable. And as dusk moves over the city, those few approaching the College are stopped by an anxious woman in pale gray robes.

"No single person may pass. This is no test, where one will be quizzed until the answer is found. This is a quest we are demanding, and as such, a group must face the Lords together." She does not further explain her words.

FuryOfMetal
2010-09-12, 03:23 PM
Mingling amongst the crowd of people approaching the Arcane College, Althar see's the old woman step out and listens to her speak.

Althar is an unsuspecting gnome of 3'7" and appears to be a scholar in his long brown robes, which is exactly his intention. His shoulder length brown hair is tied into braids with glass beads at the ends. He seems to be like every other gnome in the realm, though a fair amount quieter and less gaudily dressed than most. Infact his only relation to the flamboyant dress code of the gnomes is the small beads in his hair and his enjoyment of small items of jewelry. Any further augmentations to his appearance would draw unwanted attention to himself. However beneath this exterior is an armor of finely crafted gnomish plate armor with a silky blue sheen, offering far more formidable protection than his flowing robes. As he steps out of crowd he adjusts his robes to a more comfortable position and continues to bounce a small ball against the floor

Seeing the confusion amongst the gathered crowd he steps out and addresses the old lady What about small people? May they pass? Besides, I didn't come expecting a test, we're here to ask as many questions as we answer I'm sure. Unless you're an employee of the Academy or have information about our destination or purpose i suggest you explain what you mean.

SilentNight
2010-09-12, 06:44 PM
Kha'Ghaasta
Near the back of the crowd a crest of spines appears, slicing its way through like the dorsal fin of a shark to the protests of people being shoved out of the way. As it nears the front of the crowd, the attached reptilian head emerges, gazing down at the surrounding individuals as he makes it to the front. He wears an outfit of chain-links with wide plate pauldrons over his moss-green scales. Two long-knives hang from his belt but look like child's toys next to his disproportionately large clawed hands, each digit of which wears what appears to be a humanoid vertebrae. Laying eyes on Althar, Kha'Ghaasta remembers what prejudice he held against small-folk and their physical weakness. The Gnome had changed that though, and if the robes were any indication, this one was similarly eldritchly endowed. That was why he had come to the Arcane Academy, to seek power. Towering above Althar, the Lizardfolk hisses at the woman, "I will take any test you put to me woman, but do not impede my entrance, I will speak to the head of the Academy."

FuryOfMetal
2010-09-12, 07:03 PM
Ah Kha'Ghaasta, i was wondering if you'd show up for this. I'm sure you've got this situation handled. Just....go easy on her.

I use detect magic on her and everybody around me.

Prince_Selm
2010-09-12, 07:51 PM
Well, it looks like we have a group now.

Riddle Solved. May we proceed?
says a voice that can't be attributed to anyone in particular.

sciencepanda
2010-09-12, 09:42 PM
A sound of snapping fingers can be heard through the crowd. A tall figure, wearing an enormous feathered cap and a masquerade mask dances his way through the crowd. At closer glance, you can see that he has a dirty-blond goatee, as pointed as the elegantly crafted sword he carries at this side.

"Well hello my friends!" the man shouts, in an overly dramatic and overly familiar voice, "I am sure that your troubles shall soon come to an end, for I, The Papillon Sword, am now here! I am sure we can solve everything through..." he shoots the grey garbed woman a sultry glare, "peaceful discussion."

Malfunctioned
2010-09-13, 02:21 PM
A figure, athletic but more lean than muscular, leaps through the crowd, landing in a position crouched low to the ground before standing revealing himself to the crowd. He isn't exactly tall but is by no means short with a mess of black hair mostly sticking up from his head, his broad shoulders and chest covered in tattoos of mythical creatures in bright red and gold. The only clothing he wears are a pair of loose dark blue trousers and a red sash wrapped around his waist.

"Peaceful discussion? What's the point in that?!?

Bring on the test! I beat anything you give me!"

appending_doom
2010-09-13, 04:19 PM
The woman does not respond to the demands, gazing around placidly at the gawkers and other onlookers, until the five demanding creatures had forced their way closer to her. She stares at them blankly for a moment before smiling.

"So you all are coming to face the Lords together? Five is an unusual number, but I am certain they would make an allowance if you proved you could...cooperate well."

Malfunctioned
2010-09-13, 04:29 PM
"Indeed I have! Of course I would probably struggle to train people such as them, even with talent such as mine."

appending_doom
2010-09-13, 05:09 PM
There is a flicker of expression in the woman's face before she scowls. "There was a time when you would have been no match for even the weakest of the Lords that dwell in the Arcane College," she snaps. "Remember that, and be respectful...if you can even manage to find them."

FuryOfMetal
2010-09-13, 05:19 PM
Whatever it takes for me to reach my goal. Could you please lead us into the Academy Mrs...?

appending_doom
2010-09-14, 05:59 AM
"Lead you?" the woman demands. "The Lords have no use for anyone who needs to be led anywhere. You must find your own way in, all of you or none."

She shrugs and gestures back to the tower, at the base of which is carved the outline of a door, and which sports a smooth opening in its walls six stories up. "It would have been the work of a moment for any true mage to enter, but you'll have to do it the mundane way."

FuryOfMetal
2010-09-14, 06:51 AM
*Snickers at my laptop screen* I chose flee the scene as my 6th level invocation....Dimension Door yes please? I think my range is 400+(40*CL)ft, easily enough for sixth story.

I look up at the opening and smiles to himself. That won't be a problem, I could take you there myself if you'd like? I put out my hand for her to take hold of and if she agrees I use Flee the Scene, teleporting us both up there. I guess I should go offer any of the others my services, be back in a moment though I can only bring two at a time. I Dim. Door back down and start to take any who are willing. So, any takers?

SilentNight
2010-09-14, 09:09 AM
Kha'Ghaasta begrudgingly nods and steps forward, he didn't like relying on the Gnome but he didn't see any other way of getting up there.

sciencepanda
2010-09-14, 02:13 PM
With a twirl, Alastair dances his way over to the woman, and puts an arm on her shoulder.

"Surely," he says with a wink, "You would be willing to give us the tiniest of hints? It would truly make our lives ever so much easier. And I would certainly appreciate it, I will let you know."

Alastair thinks for a moment, and with a grin, he suddenly gets down on one knee in front of the woman.

"Young Lady!" he shouts, possibly far too loudly, "I promise you this! If you are to aid us in our journey, I promise to you." He puts on a heartfelt, mournful look, "When we return, I will make you my bride! Will you aid us, fair lady?"

Bluff: [roll0]
Diplomacy: [roll1]

FuryOfMetal
2010-09-14, 02:20 PM
Althar takes hold of Kha'Ghaasta's wrist and teleports up onto the entrance, depositing him next to the old lady. He then returns down to teleport Alastair, thus facilitating his conversation. I'll go see who else needs a lift. And *pop* he disappears, materialising down back on the bridge. Who else would like to come on this magical journey? You, the arrogant human? Or perhaps you, the charming feline?

FuryOfMetal
2010-09-14, 07:03 PM
Ok so it was just pointed out to me that Flee the Scene is 25ft +5ft/2 levels. So now to salvage what just happened Me, the old lady, Kha'Ghaasta and Alastair are back on the bridge as if nothing ever happened.

So I guess we should break out the rope guys. Althar takes his backpack off his back and begins to search through it's contents. Uh....assuming we pool our rope my contribution will be minimal for now Althar shrugs and mumbles in a fit of embarassment.

So it turns out that after venturing down an alley of failed teleportation the rope has disappeared from my mythweavers sheet. I assume i forgot to add it back on when i was reordering my inventory. I could fiat it on and assume nobody noticed but where would the fun in that be? (and I took Flee the Scene instead of Fell Flight so I could take people with me and on the first chance to use it...the range is far shorter than I thought :smallbiggrin:

Prince_Selm
2010-09-14, 07:24 PM
This is why I prefer to make my own way.
Says the mysterious voice.

ASSUMING THAT NOTHING PREVENTS HIM FROM DOING SO, Senric flies up to the opening and drops his invisibility.

I mean, REALLY!

FuryOfMetal
2010-09-16, 05:10 AM
Althar shouts up to the ledge Hey, Invisible Voice! Could you take a rope up with you next time? Althar paces back and forth Fey, always tricking people in their time of need. Kha'Ghaasta, you're strong right? Think you could throw me up there with a rope?

FuryOfMetal
2010-09-17, 11:07 AM
Maybe if you just through the rope up for the faerie to catch?

SilentNight
2010-09-17, 06:16 PM
OOC
Sorry, was waiting on the DM's details
Kha'Ghaasta withdraws a length of rope from his bag and throws one end up to the faerie.

Just gonna roll an attack, no idea what the penalties/AC are.
[roll0]

appending_doom
2010-09-17, 06:23 PM
Given that targeting a square is usually AC 0, that works getting the rope up.

Prince_Selm
2010-09-17, 09:26 PM
From my limited training as a logician, this plan is doomed to fail!
The pixie yells down, despite catching the rope.
There's nothing to TIE this rope to! And, if you plan to have me hold it, you are sorely mistaken!
He then drops it down.

I'll tell you what! I'll get you guys up here, and someone else takes the next one. Deal?

FuryOfMetal
2010-09-18, 05:49 AM
What do you mean? How will you get us up there? Althar paces around. Kha'Ghaasta! Throw me! It'll be fun :smallbiggrin:

appending_doom
2010-09-18, 05:58 AM
@Prince

You are in a room, 30 feet to a side, empty of any adornments or other signs of habitation. The room is made of stone, although a quick rap on the wall suggests it's been reinforced. There are three heavy wooden doors exiting the room, each with a skull mounted at human eye-level.

There is a sign above all three doors, which reads PICK ONE.

Prince_Selm
2010-09-18, 09:07 AM
Wow. Scary.
The pixie sighs and facepalms.
Suit yourself.

FuryOfMetal
2010-09-21, 05:10 AM
Noticing a door on ground level Althar walks over to the old lady. Where does that door lead? Who says we have to enter like mages, even the current employees don't enter via that top door these days. Althar wanders over to the door and looks for a handle, door bell, secret button or a keyhole.

Hoping that there's some sort of keyhole or any way to see inside.

appending_doom
2010-09-21, 05:15 AM
On closer inspection, the door looks like...well, a painting of a door. There is no visible handle, lock, hinge, or other mechanism. You think there's probably a spell that just opens doors (sometimes it seems like mages were the laziest people in the universe, if they'd actually spend 15 minutes memorizing a spell that opened doors for them), and that's probably what you'd need to get through this door.

That or a really good battering ram.

SilentNight
2010-09-21, 09:12 AM
Kha'Ghaasta approaches the newfound door and steeling himself, attempts to force his way through.

Strength check:[roll0]
If that fails, he'll take 20 for a 25

FuryOfMetal
2010-09-21, 10:53 AM
I'll help you!

Aiding another for +2. And with that roll you'll need it :smalltongue: Damn forum roller!

sciencepanda
2010-09-21, 05:42 PM
"You silly louts," Alastair finally speaks up after a long period of silence, "There is a much more simple method of going about this."

He brandishes his sword with flair, and holds his hand to it, as if in apology. With a sudden swift movement, he cuts the hinges of the door clean off.

My sword is made of adamantine, so this should be doable. I'm unsure if I would have to make a check or not though.

Prince_Selm
2010-09-21, 06:13 PM
Silly creatures, they don't even know how to follow rules...
The pixie mutters to himself. Then he reinstates his invisibility and flies down to the rest of the people.

You're going to hurt yourself. How about I give the lot of you a ride?

sciencepanda
2010-09-21, 06:27 PM
Alastair swings his sword into the door, producing a loud clang, but no other effects. He tries again, with the same results.

"Tsk," he says, "I fear I may have to take you up on your offer. A ride it is."

SilentNight
2010-09-21, 09:21 PM
Giving up just as quickly, Kha'Ghaasta begrudgingly looks in the faerie's general direction and snorts his assent, though skeptical as to how the fey imagined to accomplish said assistance.

FuryOfMetal
2010-09-22, 09:39 AM
I'm not sure how you intend to carry us all, but by all means go ahead if it would speed this thing along. Then turning to the old lady Althar steps forward. Sorry, my lady, but i didn't ask your name earlier, my name is Althar. Also do you have any information as to why we're here or what it is we are to do.

Prince_Selm
2010-09-22, 04:06 PM
Alright. I detest wasting this much effort, but it's safe to say that many of you have skills that I lack. Consider it a compliment.

With a flash of magic, the small creature grows larger and larger, his skin changes to scales, and his translucent wings ascend into giant apendages.
It is the form of a true dragon.

Any takers? Speak now, or forever hold your peace.

FuryOfMetal
2010-09-22, 04:29 PM
Behind Althar comes a noise of bones cracking as they break and reshape, the sound of skin and flesh melting, warping, bubbling and reforming and the triumphant words of the faerie. Althar turns around and

What is going......on wooooaaaaah. I knew you fey had powers that you don't broadcast to others but....that's far more than i was expecting.

Althar steps forward to take the faerie dragon up on it's offer I wish the fey had given me the power to do THAT after their experiments

Man am i jealous of that :smalltongue:

SilentNight
2010-09-22, 08:56 PM
Kha'Ghaasta watches the Fey's transformation appraisingly. Deciding it wasn't illusion, he steps forward to hop aboard with a newfound respect.

sciencepanda
2010-09-23, 07:46 PM
"Quite the amusing trick! May I inquire as to your nature?"

FuryOfMetal
2010-09-23, 08:21 PM
Althar Dimension Doors onto the back of the Fey, appearing inbetween the shoulder blades. Damn i gotta get one of these. he thinks to himself. Though this method saves alot of time and effort, being in contact with the Fey creature sends tingles sparking all through Althar's body, resulting in the twitching of his fingers and toes. Though the Fey gifted him with a great gift in their experiments, their methods left much to be desired. I guess there are still a few kinks I need to work out when interacting with the Fey

Althar's warlock powers came from the Fey tampering with him to unlock the secrets of the gnomes innate SLA's. Fey based warlocks are a nice change to the usual demon/fiend based warlock. Also it just felt right when making the character.

Prince_Selm
2010-09-23, 09:22 PM
Everyone can do this where I come from.
It seems like he's going to continue, but he doesn't.

(I'm going to just say that if anyone hasn't hitched a ride on the dragon express yet, it's assumed they have until they post to contradict me. Is that alright, DM?)

With that, the pixie dragon flies up to the entrance and drops off the passengers.

appending_doom
2010-09-23, 09:55 PM
As the fairy's ability took it into the shape of a dog-sized gold-scaled dragon, large and strong, if unable to carry more than one or two at a time, it takes a few trips to ferry everyone above the ground to the upper room, a mostly-featureless stone room marked by three heavy wooden doors, each with a skull mounted on them, and a sign overarching all of them reading, CHOOSE ONE.

It is an uninspiring sight, but knowing the inhabitants of the tower, another trick awaits.

FuryOfMetal
2010-09-24, 04:41 AM
I check for key holes, secret buttons, trapdoors, doors and I use detect magic.

FuryOfMetal
2010-09-24, 08:11 AM
search: [roll0]

Spellcraft:
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]

Hmm i can't find any obvious method of opening these doors. Maybe there's a riddle of some kind? Or we just have to choose a door and hope...

SilentNight
2010-09-24, 09:12 AM
Kha'Ghaasta investigates the room as best as he can, paying particular attention to the skulls.

Search:[roll0]

sciencepanda
2010-09-24, 11:55 AM
Alastair does as well.

Spot: [roll0]
Search: [roll1]

appending_doom
2010-09-24, 03:48 PM
@Althar

You sense a number of magical auras - the walls are covered with magic, the skulls bear some trace of necromancy, and there are powerful abjurations and evocations set on the door.

@All

You find no hint of secret latches, locks, or other traps. The doors all have simple mechanical knobs, however.

FuryOfMetal
2010-09-24, 04:30 PM
Lol i guess i should tell people. Shame really :smallamused: Also is the old lady with us?

Everybody, don't touch the doors just yet. I'm sensing they're covered in protective magics and it feels....destructive. This could be dangerous, though the atmosphere has already made that apparent. Also the skulls seem to carry a necromantic aura.

Prince_Selm
2010-09-24, 06:01 PM
Search: [roll0]
My spellcraft is untrained.

Protective enchantments on doors? What won't they think of next.

sciencepanda
2010-09-25, 10:00 AM
"How unusual. I have heard of such things, but never seen them in practice before."

Alastair begins prodding the door with his sword, then fiddling with it to see if he can get the enchantment somehow deactivated.

Use Magic Device (Untrained): [roll0]

appending_doom
2010-09-25, 10:07 AM
Alastair

UMD can't actually be used untrained. And what do you mean by 'fiddling'? Do you try to open the door, jimmy the lock, what?

Also, which door?

Prince_Selm
2010-09-25, 03:33 PM
Well, I should point out that my superior senses couldn't detect any kind of PHYSICAL traps.

I'll just hang out here until I'm needed.

With a poof, the annoying humanoid vanishes.

FuryOfMetal
2010-09-27, 12:45 PM
Well that's helpful. Combining our information, I'd say that this is a purely magical trap. That means it's either very very old or the Arcane Academy has been lieing to us. Neither bodes well for us. I guess we experiment.

Althar gestures for everybody to stand back and eldritch blasts 1 of the skulls.

appending_doom
2010-09-27, 04:23 PM
The skull takes the blast with very little physical damage, and it continues to grin emotionlessly at you.

The door shudders at the impact, as if nothing were holding it closed except the latch itself.

Which skull were you shooting?

FuryOfMetal
2010-09-27, 04:49 PM
Um i shoot the left hand door's skull

Althar thinks for a moment, shrugs and goes into his pack. He pulls out a stick of chalk, marks the ground outside the door with a cross. He then throws the chalk at the door for good measure

Assuming that the chalk doesn't explode due to amgical energy or otherwise get vaporised then i'll continue like this:

Tearing off some fabric from the hem of his travelling robes, Althar uses it like a glove to lift the latch without touching it with his skin, then gently nudging the door open.

appending_doom
2010-09-27, 05:28 PM
There is no reaction from the door when it is bombarded with chalk. The door opens easily, with no visible ill effect.

Beyond it is a long hallway of the same stone construction, continuing about 60 feet before curving left and downward. Torches light the hallway at regular intervals.

SilentNight
2010-09-27, 05:57 PM
((An obvious question I know, but based on that we saw outside, should the tower be able to contain the corridor? I'm a little confused as the the arrangement of the doors.))

Kha'Ghaasta steps slowly up to the doorway and peers inside. He appempts to deduce where the hall should lead based on what he saw of the outside of the tower, a good sense of direction was crucial in the swamps. Satisfied he looks to the group. "Thiss seemss as good a choice as any, coming?"

FuryOfMetal
2010-09-28, 09:14 AM
Yes definitely. Kha'Ghaasta, you have a good sense of direction, think you could keep track of our location?

I detect magic again to see if the nature of the magic has changed, rolling spellcraft arbitrarily.
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Prince_Selm
2010-09-30, 05:32 PM
Well, let's try our best to not die, Kay?

Let me handle this.
says no one as some air heads down the hallway checking for traps.

Search: [roll0]

appending_doom
2010-09-30, 06:21 PM
Nothing immediately harms the fairy as he drifts forward.

That may very well be a welcome for others to follow.

@Prince

As you probe the area, you find no obvious traps, just the gentle curving slope of the hallway downward.

FuryOfMetal
2010-09-30, 08:16 PM
Althar, trying to save time and have a little fun, digs through his pack for his bag of bouncy balls. Holding it between forefingger and thumb he creates a tiny elritch blast to propel it down the corridor, setting off any other potential traps further on. He does this whilst chuckling to himself.

appending_doom
2010-09-30, 08:29 PM
The reckless release of an uncontrollable "trap-finder", thankfully, does not spring a trap that transforms the sprite into a slightly flatter or more perforated fairy.

It fairly quickly bounces around the corner and downward, the only noise of its passage the bouncing of it against stone, and not the audible springing of any trap.

FuryOfMetal
2010-09-30, 08:41 PM
Ah, that was lucky. I always like to keep a few of those around. They come in handy so often. With that Althar chases his ball down the corridor until he catches up with it, then waits for the others.

SilentNight
2010-09-30, 10:05 PM
Kha'Ghaasta quickly follows the Gnome and the Faerie down the hall, the absurdity of the situation not lost on him.

Prince_Selm
2010-10-01, 06:06 AM
Watch out where you're aiming those balls!
Senric's eyes involuntarily blink repeatedly, unable to comprehend the logic of his own words.

FuryOfMetal
2010-10-02, 05:25 PM
Collecting his ball, Althar reaches the end of the hall.

And is confronted by an onknown obstacle of some kind. What do i see?

appending_doom
2010-10-02, 10:34 PM
The hall curves downward, taking a few leisurely turns before it ends in a room twice the size of the skull room; another hallway opens into the room - beyond, you can hear the sound of shifting stone and an occasional roar.

At the room's center stands a circle carved into the floor, and at the circle's center an attractive woman with unearthly, pale skin. Directly next to the circle is a complex piece of machinery, something made of metal and bone and crystal, all culminating in a wide platform that could hold several creature's at once. A gaping hole is in the machinery, and while the shape is hard to describe, a little searching reveals that the woman in the circle is holding a metal and crystal item the exact shape of the hole.

She smiles at the group when they arrive.

FuryOfMetal
2010-10-03, 05:27 AM
Hello, how can i help you? Althar, standing 5 feet outside of the circle, offers an open handshake. I'm Althar, pleased to meet you.

Detect magic please [roll0] [roll1][roll2]

appending_doom
2010-10-03, 05:50 AM
@Athar

The circle glows with abjuration magic. Not particularly strong, but it's there. There's another aura overlaying the abjuration, but it doesn't seem to have the shifting colors of any school of magic.

"Rather than sitting here pretending I am a helpful non-player character in the joke of an adventure game that is your life, you could free me from my bondage," the woman in the circle says. "I can definitely promise you won't have much of an opportunity to regret it."

Prince_Selm
2010-10-03, 09:49 AM
Yeah, that's reassuring...
(May the record show that I've been invisible for the last three posts)

appending_doom
2010-10-03, 11:34 AM
@Prince

Nevertheless, the woman inside the circle of arcane diagrams glances in your direction.

FuryOfMetal
2010-10-03, 01:49 PM
Testing for a forcefield of some kind, Althar fires an eldritch blast through the circled area (taking care to miss the female of course). Assuming no force effect stops access and interaction, Althar inspects the circle closely and tentatively pokes the circle once or twice, then looks to his companions.

What is the circle made of? Is it chalk or carved into the ground. Also is she shackled in any way?

Prince_Selm
2010-10-03, 08:11 PM
(I figured as much. :smalltongue:)

Well, if she wasn't hostile before, you're sure doing a bang up job of changing her mind...

appending_doom
2010-10-04, 05:12 AM
She doesn't move, even as the eldritch energy passes close to her head; it actually appears to waver as it moves close to the woman.

The circle is cut into the stone, and it appears to be the only possible barrier between the woman and the rest of the room.

@Everyone

Knowledge (arcana); (religion) might also be an option.

"If you want a proper fight, you're going to have to let me out," she says. "Just trying to kill me while I sit in here isn't going to be any fun at all."

FuryOfMetal
2010-10-04, 09:05 AM
I appologise, I didn't mean any hostility. I was merely testing the nature of your entrapment. Why are you imprisoned?

Knowledge arcana:
Knowledge religion: [roll] 1d20+2

appending_doom
2010-10-06, 07:05 PM
"Because I'm useful here," she replies, waving her hands vaguely. The woman sighs and gives Althar a wistful look. "I'd much prefer being out there. It's no fun in here..."

Althar

If it doesn't have any physical substance, the circle is mostly some sort of ward, meant to keep the woman apart from the rest of you.

Of course, the only things people tend to do that for are fiends.

FuryOfMetal
2010-10-06, 08:00 PM
You see, the only reasons I can find for the all powerful arcane academy in an era where magic ceases to exist would be....few Althar walks casually around the circle The only plausible one would be you have something they want, but why couldn't you just give it to them? But maybe, just maybe, it isn't an item. Maybe it's you? I think that you possess magical power unlike that which originates on this plane. So did they summon you here and bind you or have you been wandering this plane, only to fall into their clutches? He fixes the woman with a piercing stare. Finally, does magic as we knew it still work on the lower planes?!? Satisfied, Althar stands in a powerful stance and stares at the captive.

appending_doom
2010-10-08, 04:33 PM
The woman throws back her head and laughs. "Do you think those shrunken half-mages have the power to break this circle, much less craft it? They keep me here because they cannot get rid of me. And because I have been here nearly as long as the Academy itself." She smirks. "And the Pit? You wonder whether we still have the power denied mortals? There's no reason to share that secret with you, none at all."

FuryOfMetal
2010-10-08, 05:00 PM
Come on now, there's no need to keep things from me. I assume that you do have magic down there, otherwise you'd likely have said no. So why do they keep you here? Why were you first imprisoned?

Prince_Selm
2010-10-08, 07:15 PM
Please, what was your name?
Senric says, his invisible body language lost.
Captain Superball. That seems appropriate, if a tad anacronistic...

Anyway, it's obvious that she's about the most useless being this side of nowhere! She's an ignorant prisoner who knows just enough about this place as you, which seems cursory at best. Frankly, I think a few hundred more years could do wonders for her and your social skills.

FuryOfMetal
2010-10-08, 07:21 PM
So what do you think we should do with her? he says glancing in the general direction of the voice. What if she knows something important?....But then again we'd have no way on knowing the nature of this important information so we couldn't really ask for it. And I'm not to keen on entering that circle, just in case. I concede, I guess she really isn't that useful.

appending_doom
2010-10-08, 07:23 PM
The woman gives the fairy a toothy grin. "Useless? Not quite. Until you reach the piddling mages who run this place, everything is a test, and a trap. And I am the last, unless you know exactly where the Meeting Hall is. That," she says, jerking her head towards the strange contraption, "Is a teleportation circle made by a mad artificer at the dawn of the Academy. The mages thought the best trap was to lay a single missing piece in plain sight, where no one can easily get at it."

She taps the even stranger piece of stone and metal against her arm significantly. "So useless? I think not. You're not going anywhere without my help."

Prince_Selm
2010-10-08, 09:52 PM
Senric chuckled to himself. People always try to help when you tell them that they can't. Basic psychology.

Eh, more than meets the eye... I suppose.

Regardless, I think I'll leave the decision-making to the Captain. It probably wouldn't be too hard to break that circle, though.

appending_doom
2010-10-09, 04:24 AM
"Break it? You don't have to do that; all you have to do is invite me to leave," the woman replies.

Prince_Selm
2010-10-12, 07:47 PM
Eh, I'm faster than her anyway, even if she chooses me over the rest of these chumps.

Well, everyone, doesn't that just seem like a smashing idea? I'm looking for any objections.

Going once...
(I will post "going twice and going three times" tomorrow. The day after, he says it.)

FuryOfMetal
2010-10-12, 08:03 PM
Hmm, go for it. Worst case scenario is she's very powerful and we run. Best? Well we should set up some ground rules. If we release you you have to give us the information required for us to progress on our journey. Also you may not cause harm to anyone in our group. Agreed?

SilentNight
2010-10-12, 10:50 PM
"And that piece if it's necessary for the device," Kha'Ghaasta points with his claw.

FuryOfMetal
2010-10-13, 06:44 AM
Thank you Kha'Ghaasta, I'd forgotten about that.

appending_doom
2010-10-13, 04:17 PM
"Oh, certainly. I wouldn't hurt a fly. And I adore being helpful." The woman tilts her head. "Can I come out, then?"

FuryOfMetal
2010-10-13, 04:41 PM
Brash actions ftw!

Please, come give me the device in your hand, then go back to the plane you came from.

I bet this goes wrong somehow.

appending_doom
2010-10-13, 05:36 PM
The woman steps outside of the circle and looks towards the fairy. "In just a moment. First, I'd like to ask you for a favor. Would you do me a favor?"

@Selm

Make a Will save

Prince_Selm
2010-10-13, 05:47 PM
(The bane of players everywhere.)

Will Save:
[roll0]
NOTICE: Senric has Spell Resistance of 17, if applicable.

EDIT: I'll think about it. How does that sound?

appending_doom
2010-10-13, 06:01 PM
The woman glances at Althar. "What about you? I think you owe me a favor for nearly taking my head off."

@Fury

Will save!

Prince_Selm
2010-10-13, 06:08 PM
(Does Senric receive any sort of indication that something was tried on him?)

Oh, too good for me now? That's nice. REAL nice.

FuryOfMetal
2010-10-13, 06:09 PM
[roll0]
I don't know, I already said it was a non violent gesture. Why should i owe you a favor? Now give us the object and leave

appending_doom
2010-10-13, 06:29 PM
"Or what? I don't like pushy people; they remind me of the people who first stuck me in that circle," the woman says. She glances at the lizardfolk. "I'm sure you can relate."

@Silent

Will save!

Prince_Selm
2010-10-13, 06:38 PM
(I'm assuming that that's a "no", but it's a DC:1 Insight check to tell that SOMETHING is going on here.)

Senric flips a bow out of his pack, flickering into visibility for his allies to see.
Try and Die, bitch.

FuryOfMetal
2010-10-13, 06:50 PM
Summoning the elditch power within him, Althar causes his fingers to light up with a corpescent blue-white light. We've had enough. Stop it with your mind games and leave, or we'll throw you back to that pit of a plane you come from.

I ready an action to attack her if she acts in a hostile manner.

SilentNight
2010-10-13, 11:17 PM
"If they bested you, you lacked power."

Always pick on the meatshield, don't they? :smallsigh:
Will Save:[roll0]

FuryOfMetal
2010-10-14, 05:56 AM
ahhh!!!!!!!

SilentNight
2010-10-14, 09:17 AM
Kha'Ghaasta puts a hand on Althar's shoulder, firmly but not threateningly. "Hold on, she'ss not going to help us at all if we attack her," he says, "hold on and wait."

FuryOfMetal
2010-10-14, 11:39 AM
What's wrong with you! Can't you see what she's doing to us!

Attack! [roll0] Assuming i hit: [roll1]

Nevermind.....though it is a touch attack, we'll see :smallamused:

Prince_Selm
2010-10-14, 11:57 AM
Never get into a Charm war with a pixie.
Senric (still invisible), turns to Kha'Ghaasta and invokes a rarely-used trick.
Dispel Magic: [roll0]
(I'm probably gonna fail. I have to get 11+ Caster Level to dispel anything...)

FuryOfMetal
2010-10-14, 03:01 PM
Did I provoke a suprise round? Meaning we roll initiative now? :smallamused:

FuryOfMetal
2010-10-14, 07:21 PM
[roll0]

Althar. having already fired off a volley of eldritch energy, catches his breath for a moment before engaging.

FuryOfMetal
2010-10-17, 12:06 PM
Eldritch blast touch attack: [roll]/3d6

FuryOfMetal
2010-10-17, 12:08 PM
Damnit messed up my roll, [roll0]

Prince_Selm
2010-10-24, 10:57 AM
Senric readies an action to shoot at the Demon if she tries anything else.

Swift action: Okay, REALLY? We let you out and this is what happens? Can't you just leave and be happy?

SilentNight
2010-10-24, 11:30 AM
Kha'Ghaasta steps in front of Althar and Senric, turning his back to the demoness, still not aggressively but intimidating nonetheless. "She's not harmed you, don't attack her," he says.

FuryOfMetal
2010-10-25, 05:02 AM
Kha'Ghaasta my friend, she's just using you. Sorry but we have to help you.

Next turn I'll throw another Eldritch blast [roll0] [roll1]

appending_doom
2010-10-25, 05:34 AM
The woman is struck with the blast, although the damage doesn't seem too significant. She glowers at the pixie before stalking forward and snatching it out of the air (rather, it looks like she is grabbing at empty air; even if you were a good friend of the pixie, it wouldn't be clear that she was attacking him).

Touch [roll0]
Grapple [roll1]

@fury

If you still want to use eldritch blast, you've got a 50% chance of hitting the pixie with 14 hp

FuryOfMetal
2010-10-27, 07:26 AM
I make a touch attack to grab either one of them and then use Flee The Scene to dim. door to the other side of the room, breaking the grapple.

rolling a 1 hits the woman, 2 hits the pixie? [roll0]

Touch attack? [roll1]

appending_doom
2010-11-03, 06:22 AM
As Althar tries to grab at the woman (or the fairie he can't see), the woman tightens her grip, trying to immobilize her prisoner.

Grapple [roll0]