PDA

View Full Version : Warlock Prcs?

FuryOfMetal
2010-09-12, 03:39 PM
Evening playground. I've been looking around for Prcs that advance warlock invocations (i think they do eldritch blast damage aswell?) but either the list is alot smaller than i thought or i can't find most of them :smallfrown:

So could you help me out by listing ones and advising me to their worth? Thanks in advance :)

Urpriest
2010-09-12, 03:45 PM
First, remember that every prestige class that advances arcane spellcasting also advances invocations (which yes, includes eldrich blast). You just have to be able to qualify for it. Essentially, if the class has a caster level requirement then you can qualify for it with your warlock caster level. If instead it requires a certain level of spells then you can't qualify for it because you don't cast spells.

true_shinken
2010-09-12, 04:10 PM
Just go into Cyran Avenger. It's tasty.

Jallorn
2010-09-12, 04:24 PM
Grab a level of Binder then go Hellfire Warlock.

Then get an odd Con score... seriously.

FuryOfMetal
2010-09-12, 07:52 PM
Ah thanks for specifying that. Yes I'm well aware that i could dip binder for naberius, just i feel like something different so i was looking around for some interesting options. i'll check out Cyran Avenger

Urpriest
2010-09-12, 08:56 PM
Eldrich Disciple is another well-known, but interesting and powerful option. My preference is to use it with Ur-Priest and Hellfire Warlock for the classic Hellfire Ur-Lock build.

gorfnab
2010-09-12, 11:54 PM
The Warlock Information Compilation (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=2915.0) has a fairly decent list of prestige classes that a Warlock can take with a blurb about how they work with Warlock.

FelixG
2010-09-13, 05:28 AM
Grab a level of Binder then go Hellfire Warlock.

Then get an odd Con score... seriously.

-sniff- i smell cheese about :D

i will give ya that it IS a fun combination

FuryOfMetal
2010-09-13, 10:31 AM
Hellfire Ur-lock? I've never come across that one, is there a link to the build somewhere? It'd save people explaining it to me :smallsmile:

I'll be honest, i know my opti-fu isn't great but i never saw how Ur-Priest is really powerful, even though i keep looking at it trying to work it out :smallredface: Could someone please give a quick run down of why it's great?

AslanCross
2010-09-13, 10:40 AM
Hellfire Ur-lock? I've never come across that one, is there a link to the build somewhere? It'd save people explaining it to me :smallsmile:

I'll be honest, i know my opti-fu isn't great but i never saw how Ur-Priest is really powerful, even though i keep looking at it trying to work it out :smallredface: Could someone please give a quick run down of why it's great?

It usually takes 17 levels to get 9th level spells. Ur-Priest accelerates that dramatically due to having an exclusive spell list. (It is easily accessible by Lv 6, and gets 9th level spells by your 9th level in it. This gives you 9th level spells as early as your 14th character level.)

FuryOfMetal
2010-09-13, 12:43 PM
Ah see it's obvious now you point it out. I also never saw the "no access to divine casting" and the other prereqs are all warlock class skills....thanks for pointing it out though :)

Looking at eldritch disciple now....that's a rather powerful combination. Might have to try that sometime. Would you be able to progress hellfire warlock as your invocation class? It seems as though you can.

*writes this down*

aeauseth
2010-09-13, 03:00 PM
I used Cloistered Cleric for Eldritch Glaive Master (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Eldritch_Glaive_Master_(3.5e_Optimized_Character_B uild)). I intentionally didn't go Ur-Priest because of the Evil Alignment. ED also requires to you to select a specific god & associated alignment, which limites your domains. It all starts to get a bit complicated to if you go the ED route make sure you sketch out your build to level 20 (or as high as your likely to play). If your DM isn't pickly about gods & alignment (and neither are you) then the Ur-Priest looks like a winner!

Eldritch Disciple is LOTS of fun to play, always have something to do. Theme wise think anti-hero. Its a combination of Tier1 (Cleric) and Tier 4 (Warlock) so I guess a Tier 2.5? Going glaivelock + DMM probably raises it to a solid Tier 2. Focusing on the Cleric side will give you more flexibility (ie raise your Tier), but Hellfire Warlock is hard to pass up!

gorfnab
2010-09-13, 04:21 PM

Warlock 4/ Binder 1/ Ur-Priest 2/ Eldritch Disciple 10/ Hellfire Warlock 3
Choose the dead God (Bane, Bhaal, Moander, Myrkul, Orcus/Tenebrous would be decent choices) option for Ur-Priest to qualify for Eldritch Disciple.

Warlock
*Detect Magic at will
*Deceive Item
*3 least, 3 lesser, 3 greater, and 1 dark invocations
*Eldritch Blast +8d6
Binder (binding Naberius)
*Disguise Self at will (as a standard action)
*Fast Ability Healing (1/round)
*The ability to use a few untrained skills as if you had a rank in the skill
*Command (once every 5 rounds; 30ft.)
*Take 10 on Diplomacy & Bluff, also can make rushed Diplomacy checks as a standard action without penalty
Ur-Priest
*9th-level Spells (need wis of 19 for 1 9th level spell per day)
*Rebuke Undead
Eldritch Disciple
*4 Gifts of the Divine Patron
*Apply Eldritch Essence Invocations to equal-level spells
*Timeless Body
Hellfire Warlock
*Hellfire Blast +6d6 (Con damage negated by Naberius' fast healing)
*Fire Resistance 10
*Hellfire Infusion (infuse charge-based magic items with a metamagic feat)
*Hellfire Shield +14d6 (Con damage negated by Naberius' fast healing)
Overall
*+13 Bab
Tricks
*Eldritch Glaive + Divine Power

Other Option
Warlock 4/ Binder 1/ Ur-Priest 2/ Chameleon 2/ Eldritch Disciple 8/ Hellfire Warlock 3
Warlock
*Detect Magic at will
*Deceive Item
*3 least invocations, 3 lesser invocations and 3 greater invocations
*Eldritch Blast +7d6
Binder (binding Naberius)
*Disguise Self at will (as a standard action)
*Fast Ability Healing (1/round)
*The ability to use a few untrained skills as if you had a rank in the skill
*Command (once every 5 rounds; 30ft.)
*Take 10 on Diplomacy & Bluff, also can make rushed Diplomacy checks as a standard action without penalty
Ur-Priest
*9th-level Spells (need wis of 28 in order to get 1 9th level spell per day)
*Rebuke Undead
Chameleon
*A bonus feat that be changed at the beginning of every day
*Aptitude Focus( choose from trapfinding & uncanny dodge, arcane spells from any arcane class, proficiency with all martial weapons, divine spells from any divine class, or wild empathy & woodland stride)
Eldritch Disciple
*3 Gifts of the Divine Patron
*Apply Eldritch Essence Invocations to equal-level spells
Hellfire Warlock
*Hellfire Blast +6d6 (Con damage negated by Naberius' fast healing)
*Fire Resistance 10
*Hellfire Infusion (infuse charge-based magic items with a metamagic feat)
*Hellfire Shield +13d6 (Con damage negated by Naberius' fast healing)
Overall
*+13 Bab
Tricks
*Eldritch Glaive + Divine Power

FMArthur
2010-09-13, 04:43 PM
Why are you putting off Hellfire Warlock so late that you will never get to play it? Your fifth-level Binder dip is going to be kind of a waste until 18th level. :smallconfused:

Urpriest
2010-09-13, 05:08 PM
Why are you putting off Hellfire Warlock so late that you will never get to play it? Your fifth-level Binder dip is going to be kind of a waste until 18th level. :smallconfused:

First, you need the Binder dip for the Fort to get in to Ur-Priest. Second, I assume he's listing the levels out of order.

In order, you'd probably take Hellfire Warlock as soon as you can. It will slow your Ur-Priest casting, but since Ur-Priests are a fast-casting PrC all it really does is force you to act like a normal cleric.

gorfnab
2010-09-13, 07:15 PM
First, you need the Binder dip for the Fort to get in to Ur-Priest. Second, I assume he's listing the levels out of order.

In order, you'd probably take Hellfire Warlock as soon as you can. It will slow your Ur-Priest casting, but since Ur-Priests are a fast-casting PrC all it really does is force you to act like a normal cleric.
Correct on all counts.

Actual Build:
Warlock 4/ Binder 1/ Ur-Priest 2/ Eldrtich Disciple 2/ Hellfire Warlock 3/ Eldrtich Disciple 8

FuryOfMetal
2010-09-14, 07:54 AM
I tried to plan the 1-20 route for the build and i came up with

Warlock 1 / Binder 1 / Warlock +3 / Ur Priest 1 / Warlock +3 / Hellfire Warlock 3 / Eldritch disciple 8

I THINK that comes out about right. I tried to juggle getting the skill, saves and feat requirements into the best order. I think it's pretty good as you're like a normal warlock for low level play and at about level 10 it kicks off like normal using Hellfire Warlock but then...oh in comes eldritch disciple!

So feel free to tear down what i came up with :smallbiggrin: I'm sure there's a much better way to do it.

gorfnab
2010-09-14, 01:23 PM
I tried to plan the 1-20 route for the build and i came up with
Warlock 1 / Binder 1 / Warlock +3 / Ur Priest 1 / Warlock +3 / Hellfire Warlock 3 / Eldritch disciple 8

Eldritch Disciple requires Turn/Rebuke Undead and 2nd level divine spells so that means you need 2 levels of Ur-Priest in order to qualify.

Warlock 1/ Binder 1/ Warlock 3/ Ur-Priest 2/ Eldrtich Disciple 2/ Hellfire Warlock 3/ Eldrtich Disciple 8 would probably work best.

FuryOfMetal
2010-09-14, 02:37 PM
Ah my bad, i was trying to juggle all the requirements at once and got confused :smallbiggrin: Regarding ED invocation advancement: it advances both eldritch blast and invocation gain. On those first 2 levels of ED you advance warlock, but when you go back and take the third level you don't have the option to then advance HFW do you? I can't remember.

That's why i tried to gear my build around advancing both Ur-Priest and HFW with the ED advancement. So....just how wrong am i here? :smallcool:

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-09-14, 05:50 PM
Ah my bad, i was trying to juggle all the requirements at once and got confused :smallbiggrin: Regarding ED invocation advancement: it advances both eldritch blast and invocation gain. On those first 2 levels of ED you advance warlock, but when you go back and take the third level you don't have the option to then advance HFW do you? I can't remember.

That's why i tried to gear my build around advancing both Ur-Priest and HFW with the ED advancement. So....just how wrong am i here? :smallcool:

Unfortunately, ED doesn't advance class abilities, just spellcasting. HFW doesn't have spellcasting, it promotes and advances Warlock casting.

To advance HFW, you need something that advances class abilities, which include casting, such as Legacy Champion or Uncanny Trickster.