PDA

View Full Version : Two dead computers. Can I loot it?

Da Pwnzlord
2010-09-12, 03:45 PM
I have a iBook G4 that recently decided to quit working. Despite pressing all the magic combonations of keys that are supposed to make it work again, it doesn't give me any sign of life. It has been replaced.

In a unrelated incident, my aunt decided her Dell desktop was outdated, and replaced it with a nice new MacBook Pro. She says I can have her Dell since she was basically planning on throwing it out. It still functions fine, but for some reason it stopped working with her internet provider. I am much foggier about the specifications of this computer. I only have any familiarity with Macs anyway, so any directions on where to look to find the specs would be appreaciated.

In true D&D fashion, my first thought is to loot the dead. My aunt says that at various times she put extra memory into the Dell to make it run faster. If I were to remove these extra installed memory "things" (what's the proper name?) could they be inserted into another computer to make that computer run faster? What else could I potentially "loot?" The moniter works fine, what can I put that to use? What can I do with the tower(or whatever it's called)? This may be a bad idea, but what would happen if I plugged the tower to the old Dell into the new (but stripped down) Windows laptop I own? (tangent: my dad bought a stripped down, low end laptop that was capable of running windows just so we could)

Second part: What can I do with the dead iBook G4? My mom called a local computer repair guy, and he said it sounded like the motherboard was fried or something, and he's not authorized to make hardware repairs on Macs. I personally scoff in the face of petty "authorization" and wonder what can practically be done. Unless the FBI is going to kick down the door because I'm messing with my broken computer, what can I do? Are there people who would try repairing hardware on a Mac? (who aren't Apple who I think will rip me off) I'm willing to risk the computer giving to some hack because the laptop is borderline trash anyway. If that fails, are there any interesting/valuble components that could be extracted from the cold, dead body of the iBook?

RS14
2010-09-12, 08:27 PM
In true D&D fashion, my first thought is to loot the dead. My aunt says that at various times she put extra memory into the Dell to make it run faster. If I were to remove these extra installed memory "things" (what's the proper name?) could they be inserted into another computer to make that computer run faster? What else could I potentially "loot?" The moniter works fine, what can I put that to use? What can I do with the tower(or whatever it's called)? This may be a bad idea, but what would happen if I plugged the tower to the old Dell into the new (but stripped down) Windows laptop I own? (tangent: my dad bought a stripped down, low end laptop that was capable of running windows just so we could)

RAM sticks, and yes. However, there are various compatability issues, most computers have only a few slots for them, and they may be too small to be of any use. They definitely cannot be used with any laptop.

The monitor can be used with virtually any computer.

You could set up the tower as a server, though the power draw is probably too great to be practical, and you'd probably need to pay your ISP extra for a static IP if you wanted it to be accessable from beyond your local network. A wall-wart is probably more practical, if you wanted to go this route.

IonDragon
2010-09-12, 08:41 PM
Second part: What can I do with the dead iBook G4? My mom called a local computer repair guy, and he said it sounded like the motherboard was fried or something, and he's not authorized to make hardware repairs on Macs. I personally scoff in the face of petty "authorization" and wonder what can practically be done. Unless the FBI is going to kick down the door because I'm messing with my broken computer, what can I do? Are there people who would try repairing hardware on a Mac? (who aren't Apple who I think will rip me off) I'm willing to risk the computer giving to some hack because the laptop is borderline trash anyway. If that fails, are there any interesting/valuble components that could be extracted from the cold, dead body of the iBook?

"not authorized" means he doesn't want to touch it. I too wouldn't want to work on a macbook if it was probably a motherboard issue. There are a few components in that dead mac, though without some training you're unlikely to be able to scavenge them properly.

You can sell the screen and/or screen assembly on eBay for up to $300 (depending), the keyboard for $20, the bit around the keyboard that the touchpad is attached to for $40 or so. I wouldn't sell the RAM, CPU or Motherboard if you don't know if it works unless you make sure that's clear in the add. You'd probably only get around $60-100 for all 3 of those together if you can't tell what works and what doesn't. Don't sell the battery, take it to a recycling center to be disposed of.

There you go, broken computer turned into up to $400.

As for the Dell, find out the fully revised specs as well as model number and I can give you some more information. Though usually with Dell desktops, there's not much demand for parts since you can get a whole new computer for the cost of the repairs.

Runestar
2010-09-13, 07:13 AM
One computer salesman once advised me that I shouldn't mix and match ram of different brands, though I am not sure if he was simply trying to persuade me to pay extra for the upgrade (since it would be slightly cheaper for me to buy the ram outside).

I am pretty much a computer noob here, so I would rather pay that little extra for a piece of mind than tinker with the parts and risk having it bite me in the behind later on. :smalltongue:

Da Pwnzlord
2010-09-13, 10:42 AM
What is a server, and how do I set up one? What do you mean by "power draw"?

BisectedBrioche
2010-09-13, 06:14 PM
What is a server, and how do I set up one? What do you mean by "power draw"?

A server is basically a hub that allows a group of computers to communicate. You can use it to run a website, network, etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Server_(computing)

"Power draw" just means the amount of power (and thus heat it generates and electricity it uses) it needs.

One computer salesman once advised me that I shouldn't mix and match ram of different brands, though I am not sure if he was simply trying to persuade me to pay extra for the upgrade (since it would be slightly cheaper for me to buy the ram outside).

I am pretty much a computer noob here, so I would rather pay that little extra for a piece of mind than tinker with the parts and risk having it bite me in the behind later on. :smalltongue:

He was correct. It's best to use identical sticks of RAM, especially if they're being run in dual or triple channels.

Da Pwnzlord
2010-09-13, 07:33 PM
OK thanks, that was interesting and helpful.

Runestar
2010-09-14, 04:45 AM
He was correct. It's best to use identical sticks of RAM, especially if they're being run in dual or triple channels.

So he was being honest. The context was that I was getting a new comp, and thinking of transferring parts like RAM over to the new PC.

I ended up sticking with the original 2gig ram, which as it turns out, still suffices to this day (the graphics card being my PC's bottleneck when it comes to running games). :smallsmile:

Da Pwnzlord
2010-09-14, 08:28 PM
Okie-dokey.