PDA

View Full Version : DivX problems

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-09-12, 06:21 PM
I've found I absolutely cannot watch anything with the DivX program despite my downloading it and having used it years back.

When I try to watch one the screen is scratchy and lined and blurred like an old TV set.

Any ideas?

Capt Spanner
2010-09-12, 06:57 PM
Sardonic answer: Don't use propriety formats.

DivX is rubbish anyway (it's an experimental form of DRM built into low-quality format...). If you can find DivX versions you can almost certainly find flash-streamed or mp4/avi/non-propriety formats elsewhere.

Alternatively, your DivX program works fine and you have a rubbish file. By the sounds of it, someone way have captured the video by pointing a cheap camcorder at an old TV.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-09-12, 07:40 PM
I'll just be going through videos online and some use DivX and only DivX it seems.

It's not just some, but every single one, so it's not someone recording a TV.

Jimorian
2010-09-12, 07:51 PM
When you install the DivX codec, your other media players should be able to play it as well. However, standard definition TV will ALWAYS look crappy on a computer monitor, especially when blown to full screen. It looks ok if you're playing it back at the native size of 480 vertical lines NTSC or 525 vertical lines PAL. Especially bad is if whoever converted didn't de-interlace the signal (TV is sent all odd horizontal lines in one pass, then all even lines 2nd pass to complete the picture), which is how you get the picture "separating" during fast motions.

As a codec, DivX is actually considered superior to the MPEG2 of DVDs, but as Capt Spanner mentions, the DRM aspect when it was first introduced was a disaster. Now it's simply another freely available codec for various uses. But really, people should be using more standard video formats these days.

IonDragon
2010-09-12, 08:46 PM
Corrupted codecs?

Did you try VLC? If the file doesn't play with VLC or Media Player Classic and the Combined Community Codec Pack, then it's not a media file. That's my motto.

Haruki-kun
2010-09-13, 10:39 PM
Corrupted codecs?

Did you try VLC? If the file doesn't play with VLC or Media Player Classic and the Combined Community Codec Pack, then it's not a media file. That's my motto.

The Combined Community Codec Pack is usually the best answer for everything. *thumbs up*

Here. (http://www.cccp-project.net/)