PDA

View Full Version : Sword of the Sun and Moon [3.5 Item]

Temotei
2010-09-12, 07:54 PM
Dawnfang and Duskfang

Dawnfang and duskfang are actually two swords in one, being dawnfang during the day and duskfang during the night. As if guarding the wielder's hand, two symmetrical serpents rise out of a gemstone set in the cross-guard. The gem is rather large, equivalent to an average human's palm in size, and slightly elongated. Dawnfang has a red-orange gem, while duskfang's is midnight blue. On both ends of the cross-guard are smaller, but otherwise matching gems. In the pommel is yet another set gem, this one perfectly round and just larger than an average human's eyeball. Dawnfang's gem is red. Duskfang's is violet. As if guarding that gem, finger bone-shaped metal covers it like a loosely gripping hand. The thick blade, curving symmetrically out of the serpents, curves more in a sort of wave-like pattern. Just above the serpents, it splits, leaving a gap in the middle of the blade. In the middle, the gap nearly closes, then splits again, this time with sharp, fang-like edges facing each other inside it. At the point of the blade, the fangs stop, and the gap, along with the blade itself, straighten out into two thin, spear-like ends, allowing the sword to deal piercing damage as well as slashing damage.

Dawnfang is a +2 flaming longsword. Duskfang is a +2 frost longsword. From 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., the blade is dawnfang. From 6:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m., the blade is duskfang. At the beginning of those times, the blade goes through its change, healing any damage it took and shaking off any negative effects still affecting it. This has no direct effect on the wielder--just the blade. If the wielder kills at least six enemies using either dawnfang or duskfang in a twelve-hour period, the next incarnation the blade takes on gains the vampiric property as well. These kills must be done with the same weapon in order to gain this property.

Strong evocation, necromancy, and transmutation; CL 13th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, flame blade, flame strike, or fireball, chill metal or ice storm, vampiric touch; price 33,315 gp; 16,815 gp + 1,320 XP.

Lix Lorn
2010-09-13, 02:36 AM
That's pretty cool, I'll give you that.

Morph Bark
2010-09-13, 02:39 AM
Really interesting concept.

How would it interact with a world like this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167851)?

DracoDei
2010-09-13, 04:52 AM
Wow... this is so simple crunch-wise, and so rich fluff-wise... this is what descriptions of magical weapons should be like regardless of their level of mechanical complexity.

One thing I will say is that not everyone has my level of spacial senses to create a mental image out of your words. Keep all the words you have, but PLEASE give us a picture, if only a schematic done in MS Paint, or a crude pencil sketch photographed with a cell-phone... put it in a spoiler if you feel the need to hide the ugliness, but they aren't kidding when they say a picture is worth a thousand words.

Beelzebub1111
2010-09-13, 07:38 AM
I wonder how it would function on Astromundi, (a flat planet with a wall around a sun in the middle, making it constantly dusk)

Volthawk
2010-09-13, 02:05 PM
I like this. Dawnfang/Duskfang is one of the cooler weapons in Oblivion.

Here's a picture of both versions (Dawnfang's on the left, Duskfang's on the right):

http://images.uesp.net//3/33/SI-item-Dawnfang-Duskfang.jpg

DracoDei
2010-09-13, 03:20 PM
Oh... it is from a game, not original... still, good skillz at putting it into words.

arguskos
2010-09-13, 03:22 PM
I was wondering when you'd post those. I recall Marchaud/Vinton and the vampires. Shame that game ate it (much like Title is doing, as we wait for you to post >_>). :smalltongue:

Temotei
2010-09-13, 06:39 PM
Really interesting concept.

How would it interact with a world like this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167851)?

I'd go with one of two routes:

Use time, disregarding actual daylight time and such.
Make it dawnfang on the sun side, and make it duskfang for the night side.

There are probably more solutions, but the first one should work out fairly well.

Wow... this is so simple crunch-wise, and so rich fluff-wise... this is what descriptions of magical weapons should be like regardless of their level of mechanical complexity.

Oh... it is from a game, not original... still, good skillz at putting it into words.

Thanks. :smallbiggrin:

I tried my best on this thing. It works well in almost any setting since it's fairly generic, and the DM can have a bunch of fun describing the blade changing, fluffing the change to the "superior versions," etc. Then the players can have fun ripping their enemies apart with a sweet sword.

I was wondering when you'd post those. I recall Marchaud/Vinton and the vampires. Shame that game ate it (much like Title is doing, as we wait for you to post >_>). :smalltongue:

I still have fun with the game, despite its problems. I thought it was a little better with a mod or two, though (especially the ones that gave retroactive health gain and leveling up without sleeping, because I always thought that was annoying).

I'll post in [Title] tonight. :smalltongue: Maybe. I have an important paper to write.