PDA

View Full Version : The Baatorian Disciple (3.5) PEACH if you would

mrcarter11
2010-09-12, 08:37 PM
Starting off,.. I'm new to homebrew.. Very new. And I thought I'd give it a shot..

The Baatorian Disciple

”Infernal power rages through my body, do you honestly think you possess the ability to defeat me?"
-Gesper Kreaylin, as he prepares to kill a group of inquisitors.

A Baatorian Disciple is a mortal who has learned to gain power from the Archdevil’s themselves. Many, who try to learn this way, are hunted down for their practices. All disciples know they walk a thin line; they must balance spreading the power of devils with advancing their own dark power.

Adventures: A disciple adventures to gain experience and to strengthen their soul. Only once their soul is strong enough may they be granted the dark power that an Archdevil presents them with.

Characteristics: Those who walk this path are generally outsiders in their communities. They are usually well known for following the rules yet something never seems right about them.

Alignment: A Baatorian Disciple gains power from devils. More specifically the Archdevils, as such, to be a disciple you must be LE or within one step of it.

Religion: All most all disciples worship the Archdevil whose mark and brand they wear. Sometimes they choose to worship another, although it isn’t common. Even rarer are those who worship none at all, the only thing less common being one who worships a god of good.

Background: They may be from any area; typically they become loners in later life or teenage years, and then fall into worshiping those of dark power. This means that no one can ever be certain who will follow this path.

Races: Anyone can follow this path, although commonly it is humans. Also commonly found are half-elves who feel disassociate with the world around them and crave the acceptance Infernal beings may grant

Other Classes: A disciple can function with any class with the exception of paladins. This is usually due, to most disciples being hunted at least once in their life by paladins.

Role: A disciple a trained in combat that is what they know. At higher levels, they can offer assistance with ranged spell like abilities.

GAME RULE INFORMATION
Abilities: Commonly the physical abilities are of much more importance. This is due to you commonly being in melee.

Hit Die: D8
Skills: Bluff(Cha), Hide(Dex), Intimidate(Cha), Knowledge (The Planes) (Int), Knowledge (Religion) (Int), Move Silently (Dex), Sense Motive (Wis), Spellcraft (Int), and Use Magical Device (Cha).
Skill Points at 1st Level: (4+Intelligence Modifier) x 4
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4+Intelligence modifier  

Baatorian Disciple
{table=head]Level|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+0|
+2|
+0|
+2|Devil’s Favor, Mark of the Devil

2nd|
+1|
+3|
+0|
+3| Mark of Allegiance

3rd|
+2|
+3|
+1|
+3|

4th|
+3|
+4|
+1|
+4| Avernus Influence

5th|
+3|
+4|
+1|
+4|

6th|
+4|
+5|
+2|
+5| Dis Influence

7th|
+5|
+5|
+2|
+5|

8th|
+6/+1|
+6|
+2|
+6|Minauros Influence

9th|
+6/+1|
+6|
+3|
+6|

10th|
+7/+2|
+7|
+3|
+7|Phlegethos Influence

11th|
+8/+3|
+7|
+3|
+7|

12th|
+9/+4|
+8|
+4|
+8|Stygia Influence

13th|
+9/+4|
+8|
+4|
+8|

14th|
+10/+5|
+9|
+4|
+9|Malbolge Influence

15th|
+11/+6/+1|
+9|
+5|
+9| Improved Evasion

16th|
+12/+7/+2|
+10|
+5|
+10|Maladomini Influence

17th|
+12/+7/+2|
+10|
+5|
+10|

18th|
+13/+8/+3|
+11|
+6|
+11|Cania Influence

19th|
+14/9/+4|
+11|
+6|
+11|

20th|
+15/+10/+5|
+12|
+6|
+12|Nessus Influence, Baatorian Influence[/table]

Class Features
All the following are class features of the Baatorian Disciple.

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: A Baatorian Disciple is proficient with all simple and marital weapons. They are also proficient with light armor, they are not however proficient with shields of any sort.

Devil’s Favor: At level 1, a disciple gains the ability to call upon the most basic of abilities granted to mortals. He gains the Devil’s Favor feat. He does not need to meet the prerequisites.

Mark of the Devil: At level 1, a disciple is branded by devil-kind with their mark. He gains the Brand of the Nine Hells feat. He does not need to meet the prerequisites. The +2 is counted towards all devil-kind. The -2 is counted towards all demon-kind.

Mark of Allegiance: At level 2, a disciple gains the mark of the devil he has sworn allegiance too. He gains the Mark of feat, for whichever devil was chosen for the Brand of the Nine Hells feat.

Avernus Influence: Trained in battle etiquette by Bel, the disciple may draw upon that training in combat. Starting at level 4, once per encounter for the duration of 1 round, the disciple gains a bonus to attack and damage rolls equal to his class level.

Dis Influence: Defense and paranoia are well known characteristics of Dispater, he has taught you to think like he does. Starting at level 6, once per encounter, for a single round you may grant yourself a bonus to your AC equal to your class level. This happens as a free action.

Minauros Influence: You know the power of greed and you know how to instill it with but a touch. Starting at level 8, you can at will make a touch attack, if it succeeds, they must make a Will save (DC=8 + Class Level). If they fail the save, they are overcome with feelings of intense greed. For the next 1d4 rounds attack whoever possesses the most expensive item visible to the touched.

Phlegethos Influence: Spending time in the fiery domain on Phlegothos has taught you to utilize fire like never before. Starting at level 10, you gain the SLA Fireball as the spell, with a number of uses equal to your class level. The effective caster level is also equal to your level.

Stygia Influence: You have been taught the methods to dodge attacks that most never see coming and to be able to minimize the damage from those you can’t dodge. At level 12, you gain the Evasion ability. At level 15, this improves to Improved Evasion.

Malbolge Influence: As the common tactic of her minions, you too have learned how to cause lingering harm to your opponents. Starting at level 14, you may cast Enervation a number of times per day equal to your class level. You may only cast it once per 3 class levels per encounter. So that at level 14 you may cast it 4 times, at level 15 you may cast it 5 times, and at level 18 you may cast it 6 times.

Maladomini Influence: The Lord of Lies knows what it is like to make other fear for their lives in your presence. At level 16, you may as a standard action create an Aura of Fear. Anyone you deem a threat within 10 feet must make a Will Save(DC=15+Cha Mod) or be in fear for 1d2 rounds. You may use this ability a number of times per day equal to ½*Class level. You may once use it once per encounter though.

Cania Influence: You have seen the power of hellfire with your own eyes and now look to use it. Mephistopheles himself has taught you how to. Starting at level 18, you may now at will issue Hellfire from your hands. This deals 1d8 per two class levels and a range of 30 feet. Hellfire burns so hot that fire immunity and resistance don’t take effect against it. Your Hellfire though, is made to target living things; as such you may not use it to ignite combustible materials or to heat weapons and armor.

Nessus Influence: Being in the presence of Asmodeus has shown you how to demand authority at all times. Starting at level 20, you gain the SLA Dominate Monster once per day, per every 5 class levels you have.

Baator Influence: The disciple’s prolonged exposure to Infernal power has corrupted his mortal being. He now becomes an evil outsider, losing his status as a humanoid. This grants him immunity to some things, in return allowing other things to now affect him.

mrcarter11
2010-09-12, 08:38 PM
Massive table fail.. Hm.. Not terribly sure what I did wrong with that..

Zaydos
2010-09-12, 08:44 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10313

Scroll down, in the first post it shows how to make a table (I'd have just copy and pasted that part but I don't know how to do that without accidentally making a table). Will look over the class later when I'm not also making a deity and modifying a MtG deck.

mrcarter11
2010-09-12, 08:50 PM
I leave it at, I hate tables.. I just really do. Now I guess I get to go remake one. Joy..

Xefas
2010-09-12, 08:57 PM
Dunno where you were balancing to, but I think it comes out around Tier 4, putting it around the Barbarian and Fighter when they have access to their Alternate Class Features.

Regardless of power, though, it's rather bland and unexciting.

During the first two levels, you don't get anything interesting. Feats? Everyone gets feats. Bonus feats aren't bad, but when *all* you get is Bonus Feats, there's not much to distinguish you from a moderately talented Commoner.

Everything else is just kind of thrown in randomly. I understand the theme you're going for flavor-wise, but there's no mechanical theme and no representation of the flavor in the mechanics.

At-will, per day, per encounter, and a weird per-day-yet-encounter-limited resources are all represented, but in a clunky, awkward way.

The fluff says "Many, who try to learn this way, are hunted down for their practices. All disciples know they walk a thin line; they must balance spreading the power of devils with advancing their own dark power."

Why are they hunted? Because they can cast Fireball a few times per day? Why must they walk a thin line? There's nothing in the class that gives the idea that there's a balancing act at all.

If you had to pay some sort of price to use your powers, that would be one things. If the price could despoil the land and harm those around you, that would cause you to be hunted. If the price could harm you and things you care about, then that's a reason to walk a thin line.

Honestly, I think the best way to go about this class would be to just homebrew some Warlock Invocations that are low-powered, but have a powerful additional effect if you pay some kind of price that hurts yourself and those around you.

mrcarter11
2010-09-12, 09:18 PM
Um.. You gain powers from devils.. So, remember the reading about the Inquisition.. Well now the cleric's have divine powers and the ones that they are hunting have infernal powers.. You know, like devil powers..

Zaydos
2010-09-12, 09:25 PM
Okay had more time to look over it.

The feats make it front loaded and make an easy Diabolic warrior by dipping 2 levels and then abandoning it for something else. 3 (rather bad) feats over 2 levels, not as good as fighter though the extra skill ranks (and UMD) and good Will save make up for it somewhat.

Beyond that it gets 8 dead levels and it's abilities are for the most part less than stellar.

Avernus Influence is good. +20 to hit and damage for one round (+60 to damage if you power attack away the bonus to hit) is a nice bonus.

Dis's effect is pretty much "You aren't hitting my AC this turn" which is also nice, but make it either an immediate action or note that it is a Free Action that may be used even when it is not your turn.

Minauros Influence: Generally the PCs have more expensive items than the monsters except in boss battles with the treasure trove right there. Also the DC should be 10 + 1/2 class level + a stat not 8 + Class level.

Phlegethos Influence: Fireball is kind of weak by 10th level, but is still useful because of its long range and big AoE. Mostly it's anti-mook though as you lack a means to fly.

Stygia Influence: Evasion... should have come before Lv 12 and they should be getting Improved Evasion at this point.

Malbolge Influence: remove the per-encounter cap. One you shouldn't be using it more than 4/encounter to begin with, and if you are burning through your daily uses let them. Again by this point it's a bit of a weak ability (something available to other classes for 7 levels even if not as often/day).

Maladomini Influence: Again the DC is odd and really low in this case. Also what does be in fear mean, is it shaken or frightened or panicked or cowered? Really I'd just make it a 10-ft radius fear aura that leaves enemies shaken and is usable continuously at-will with a free action to turn on and off (a dread necromancer gets a 5-ft fear aura at Lv 5).

Cania Influence: So this deals damage a little better than an Eldritch Blast but without the Blast Shapes and Eldritch Essences to make the other strong. Full attack is still better.

Nessus Influence: 4/day Dominate Monster. Well at least it's something powerful.

Baator Influence: Throw on that it grants DR X/good and/or silver, immunity to fire, and maybe some other Baatezu based traits.

Final verdict (or tl;dr): It needs more abilities and most of its abilities come too late. The save DCs are also non-standard. As it is you could take out the dead levels, remove the 1st level and make it a PrC instead (making those two feats required to get in).

mrcarter11
2010-09-12, 09:38 PM
Okay.. So first try, I'm pretty terrible at this stuff..

Zaydos
2010-09-12, 10:14 PM
Okay.. So first try, I'm pretty terrible at this stuff..

Wasn't terrible, it just needs more work (which is why we post things on homebrew forums). What balance point are you trying for? Tier 3? Tier 4? As it is it is most likely Tier 5.

mrcarter11
2010-09-12, 10:36 PM
Didn't have any power level in mind. Just wanted to keep it true to the whole Baator theme.

Zaydos
2010-09-12, 10:40 PM
Hmm... well I can think of some abilities (Mettle and Divine Profane Grace) that could be given that make some sense with a warrior of the 9 hells. Also look at the abilities Baatezu get. Perhaps they can gain the ability to Teleport (self and possessions only), or get DR that goes up as they level.

Edit: I can help more if you give me a tier to aim for. Otherwise I'll be balancing them against barbarian and fighter which is my natural place to balance melee types.

Seethyr
2010-09-12, 10:41 PM
I'm a big fan of the flavor of the class. If you want to include more powers, you may want to use names of individual devils. I'm sure someone with a greater grasp on relative strength of powers could tell you what "Bel's Influence" or "Fierna's Influence might do.

mrcarter11
2010-09-12, 10:52 PM
Zay, well I would honestly like it to sit around tier 3, or low 2.. That would be perfect for me.. So balance towards that.. And this originally did have more abilities as in no dead levels.. The dead levels that exist now were filled with other powers related to devil kind, instead of any certain archdevil.. And I posted somewhere else and they said it was too much, so I took it all out.. And that left me with the dead levels..

Seeth, is your name based on a band? Just curious.. And thanks, this was wrote more from flavor of the 9 Planes then anything else.. Wasn't really aiming anywhere for power level.. And the influence features represent part of the Archfiend.. I just named it after their plane instead of them..

Zaydos
2010-09-12, 10:58 PM
Now I'd like to see what abilities you took out, but... let's see.
If it's aimed towards Tier 3 the best comparison is probably the Warblade. Right now it looks like it is aimed at being the same level as a Fighter and toned down from that.

mrcarter11
2010-09-12, 11:02 PM
I can try to find the original word document but don't hold your breath.. That is a lot of stuff to sift through.. Eh, I don't think a fighter would take it.. At any level..

Seethyr
2010-09-13, 12:10 AM
Seeth, is your name based on a band? Just curious.. And thanks, this was wrote more from flavor of the 9 Planes then anything else.. Wasn't really aiming anywhere for power level.. And the influence features represent part of the Archfiend.. I just named it after their plane instead of them..

Certainly was. Long ago I played a mmorpg called Dark Ages of Camelot and tried to use Seether (like the band), but the name was taken so I used the "Y." I liked it and it's stuck ever since.

I definitely would like to see those other abilities by the way. If you find them, I do think this class will look quite good.