PDA

View Full Version : Darkath (IC)

Volos
2010-09-13, 02:22 AM
Backgound of Setting
It has been ten thousand years since the creation of Darkath, the world in which you live. New discoveries on Caelin Island have unearthed ruins that date back as far as 100 R.D., over 9,900 years ago. While it has yet to be confirmed, it appears that the ruins may have been a collective temple to all the current deities. The doors have proven impossible to open without damaging the writing upon them. The magic around the ancient temple have been unstable, so there has been no attempt at teleportation as of yet. While the discovery is the source of much conflict in the Lycian League, the rulers of each of the five nations have refused to make any official statements on the ruins. While the historical significance is immeasurable, there are those who would put a price on the ruins. Treasure collectors and pirates alike have set their sights on the ruins, only thinking of the potential riches within.

Clerics of all faiths are declaring the site as condemned in the eyes of their respective fates. There are even some zealots who claim that their gods have given them orders to destroy the ancient ruins of the temple. Both Caelin and Ostia, the only two nations close enough to the island to have sailing ship transportation, have placed heavy restrictions on water traffic. Only those with approved passports are allowed to leave port, though there have been rumors of pirates offering transportation to zealots and others who are against opening the ruins.

Our adventures find themselves in the port city of Theriain, an old dwarven stronghold turned city. To the north of the city lies the great Caelin mountains. It is a two day ride through the mountain pass to the north-east to reach the capital of Caelin, Arigylph. Travel to the west, north, and east is blocked by the two mountains that connect to make the pass to Arigylph. Theriain has expanded since its days as a dwarven stronghold, and it now reaches from the base of the mountains to the shores of the Aventi Gulf. Each of our adventurers has been summoned by a letter.

Map of Darkath (http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/1662/darkath.jpg)

My master has heard of your great skill, and he wishes an audience with you to discuss an assignment. Enclosed is a receipt for transportation that you will present to the local traveler’s guild along with five hundred gold. This is a gift for considering my master’s offer. I assure you, should you accept his assignment, this gift will pale in comparison. Your audience is for the first day of the new month at noon, do not be late.

Your local traveler’s guild would have been expecting you, a coach was already being readied as you arrived with the receipt from the letter. Where ever each of you had come from, the coach took the shortest combinations of roads to take you to the sea side city of Theriain; the north gate district to be exact. As the coach passed through the gate, guards would stop the driver to ask the business of those inside. A paper would be shown to the guards, and the coach would begin to move again.

It was the night before the day of your supposed meeting with the mysterious 'master' mentioned in the letter. The handwriting, paper, ink, even the envelope were all very common. Not a single trait about this letter could be determined to be strange or unquiet in any fashion. How it could be so very ordinary the only thing that you would find strange about it.

The coach would approach the guildhouse for the traveler's guild, coming to a stop just outside of the stables. It would appear that four other similar coaches were there as well, all having seemed to arrive within at least half of an hour of each other. The drivers would busy themselves with the horses while a man wearing a dark red robe approaches.

"I see that you have made it. Your meeting is scheduled for tomorrow, we have rooms available for you across the street at the Old Boar's Inn. Everything is already taken care of, so please, enjoy your rest and do not be late tomorrow."

halfdragon62
2010-09-13, 03:35 AM
Cade inclined himself lazily in his chair, a jug of dark, frothing beer swirling in his hand. He lifted his soil dark eyes to take another look at his surroundings: A tavern common room, warmly lit with haphazardly placed candles and lanterns. various groups huddled around their respective tables, individuals of every shape and size could be seen; at one table was a female halfling, her raven hair tied into various, complex braids. At the same table sat a well built bugbear, his nostrils flaring in challenge as he made eye contact with Cade, who chuckled softly into his mug as he downed another gulp of brew, keeping contact with the bugbear until the brute snorted again, this time in boredom, and then turned back to his meal and beer.

Out of the corner of his eye, Cade made a careful examination of the barkeep; Not the weathered, burly, middle aged tavern owner, but his daughter, a comely woman in her early twenties. A fox-like grin graced Cade's features as he downs the rest of his beer, and wolf-whistles to the barmaid to get her attention, hoping to enjoy himself as best he can before whatever tomorrow would bring.

Ricky S
2010-09-13, 08:20 AM
Zem Blackfeather sits down at the bar with a pint of whatever they served here. She couldn't really be bothered asking what it was as all drinks do the same thing, get you drunk.

She is wearing dark coloured clothes and a black cloak but her mood is quite the opposite of her clothes. Zem smiles as she listens to the music playing in the back ground and the chatter of the patrons of the inn. She felt at home here surrounded by many different people and travellers. With the alcohol already taking effect on her small frame she gets up to talk to some of the other patrons. As she walks around the room she hears a man wolf whistle. Looking in his direction she sees him grinning at the barmaid. She giggles to herself," Boys will be boys." She walks over to him and takes a seat by his side. "I could put in a good word with her if you like?" She says while winking.

Toliudar
2010-09-13, 09:34 AM
The door to the Old Boar's Inn bangs open, and what seems to be an orangutang in a green dress barges in and heads straight to the bar. Once cognitive dissonance passes, it's easier to see that it is in fact a hadozee woman carrying a thick walking stick.

Bala sees that the barmaid is busy making eye contact with , so heads straight to the bar. She sets her stick down as if she plans to be there a while, and plants two leathery hands on the surface of the bar. Bala's face breaks out into a toothy grin.

"A bottle of Ostian red, if you please, whatever year. I feel like celebrating."

Nai_Calus
2010-09-13, 09:51 AM
Celenden cheerfully sings a short song as he crosses the street to the inn. As he enters, finishing his song and muttering to himself that road dust does absolutely nothing for the voice, he notices a familiar figure at the bar and crosses to where Bala sits, his face breaking into a grin as he realises that it is in fact who he thinks it is.

"I am in desperate need of a drink, traveling does absolutely nothing for one's voice. A decent ale will suffice," he tells the barkeeper before turning to Bala.
"Bala? Is that you? By Corellon, the world gets smaller every day! How have you been?"

Might as well roll perform to see how well Cel's singing went. :-P
[roll0] + 11(8 ranks, +3 CHA mod)

Toliudar
2010-09-13, 10:14 AM
Bala's grin widens into a toothy gape.

"Cel, you impudent pup!"

The half-elf is immediately engulfed in a furry bearhug. Bala draws back.

"Cuter'n ever and twice as sweet. Great to see you again. I've just ordered a bottle - you'll join me? Or is this a date?"

A new thought crosses Bala's mind. She reaches into a pocket of her pack, and draws out just the top of a certain invitation, for a moment, before tucking it away again.

"Or is this that kind of date?"

Nai_Calus
2010-09-13, 10:29 AM
"It's that kind, I fear." Celenden replies airily, discreetly flashing the top of his own invitation. "But I'm always happy to join an old friend for a drink." He glances around the common room. "I wonder who else is here because of this."

Toliudar
2010-09-13, 10:32 AM
Bala sets down coins and hands the bottle to Cel. She takes up her stick and the glasses, and heads over to a table.

"Good question. My money's on the big guy with his hood pulled over his face, his back to the wall. Those guys are always a riot. Especially when they're ticklish too."

Volos
2010-09-13, 11:09 AM
The patrons of the Old Boar's Inn seemed less than thrilled with the appearance of five strangers, much less the performance of what appeared to be an unskilled bard. Six copper would be tossed onto the small stage from those who felt somewhat obligated to toss their spare change.

The bottle of Ostian Red would be dated from twenty years prior, 10,015 RD. Two silver challises would be brought along with the bottle and a corkscrew could be seen stuck deep into the cork. No mentioning of payment would be made as the barmaid left to take care of another customer.

Mutterings could be heard from the patrons where they came together in small groups. Rumors would be shared and useless opinions given in turn. While most of it was trivial nonsense tied to some local petty noble or the latest allegations made by one guild against another, there was one topic that was never left along for long. The discovery of the ruins. Most people seemed to be of like mind, assuming that it is some sort of hoax, for how could all the gods be represented in one old temple? Others, however, were convinced that this was some sort of sign, a depiction of the end of days when the gods would fight alongside their people for control of all the planes. Those who held to this opinion were quick to be dismissed by the other patrons as either drunks or over imaginative fools.

Ella
2010-09-13, 11:44 AM
Meisia enters the tavern, her attempts to walk softly ruined by the constant clanking of her armour, a pity that for her greatest desire was to see who was there before making her presense known, she had not come to gamble with old shipmates, pirates and smugglers for the most part.

She could feel her morning star against her back, weighing heavy, like most weights to bear, she would, for the goddess Geshtai, and her disciples who had trained her had never promised an easy life, just one more fulfilling than hauling cargo back in Valparine.

She looked across the room carefully making judgements about who was likely to need her services on ship. She walks towards the unusual group with the expensive wine and pauses to give them a smile "Good evening all, perhaps you would like some company."

Where do I know that Hadozee from? she ponders for a brief moment before grabbing an unoccupied seat.

Toliudar
2010-09-13, 02:46 PM
Bala glances up and goggles briefly.

"Meisia? Well ain't it old home week!"

Nearly vaulting over the table, pausing to steady the bottle of wine as she does so, Bala engulfs the armoured woman in another bear hug. After an only marginally awkward moment in which fur gets caught in a pauldron, she takes a step back.

"Sorry, where are my manners? Meisia, this is Cel. Don't let his good looks fool you; he's as clever a lad as you'd like to meet. Cell, Meisia is the best friend any sailor could ask for, and that's saying a lot."

She drags a third chair over to their table, and gestures for an additional glass.

"Great to see you, darlin! What brings you to Theriain?"

Nai_Calus
2010-09-13, 03:36 PM
"A pleasure to meet you, Meisia," Celenden says, standing and bowing slightly, his silver crescent moon pendant dangling forward as he does so. "My name is Celenden Theleril, but you can just call me Cel for short." He sits and fidgets with his wine. "Dear me, I do fear that the good folk of this tavern got the entirely wrong impression of me when I came in. I'll have to try to rectify that in a bit, I suppose. I'm not usually that poor a performer. The hassles of the road, I expect."

Ella
2010-09-13, 03:58 PM
"I cannot believe its you Bala, what are you doing in a place like this? I myself have recently left a ship of dubious morals, and am trying to decide my next course of action, people to save and a goddess to serve." She smiles at the pair of them.

"I felt your performance was just fine, from what I could hear from outside, but then I do admit to having a rough ear." upon the arrival of her glass she takes a sip of the wine, and grins from ear to ear.

"So here I am, without a crew to care for, and here you are, with another friend of the sea I assume, what adventures are you planning?"

Toliudar
2010-09-13, 04:16 PM
Bala

The Hadozee pauses to sip the wine.

"I am myself freshly arrived, just off the Jaunty this morning. A good enough ship, although I think the navigator got less accurate as they day went on, if you know what I mean."

She tops up Cel's glass.

"And now it seems that both of us are here at the pleasure of the Travellers' Guild, and a tantalizingly mysterious benefactor. And you?"

Ella
2010-09-13, 04:23 PM
"I left behind a vessel, only to find someone interested in me, in a way a little unusual" she pauses for a brief moment "and now I find myself here awaiting some sort of offer, oh how I do wish he had used a less mercenary word like a compensated calling or a compensated commission."

"And now I see a familiar face, if I didn't know better, I would be suspicious that this was some sort of suprise party, but the set up has been far too expensive to celebrate anyone I know." she glances towards the door before continuing "I don't suppose you paused to count the carriages on your way in too, five is a strange number, too many for a full crew but too few just for officers. Do you recognise anyone else here perhaps."

halfdragon62
2010-09-13, 04:42 PM
Cade turns in his seat to look at the small halfling woman now sitting at his side. He chuckles at her words.

Thanks for the offer darling, but I think can do quite well for myself... He trails off, noticing the three newly arrived individuals at the bar; an ape-like humanoid carrying a staff, a half-elf, and a human woman wearing armor, a morningstar at her waist. The half-elf was flashing a letter to his two companions. Cade took a moment to search through his own belongings for the letter he had received. When he had it, he brought it out, read it, and from his seat tried to compare the material of his letter to the half-elf's.

Ah... So this isn't going to be a solitary employment after all...
Meanwhile the barmaid had approached his table, and Cade was struck with an idea. He addresses her You see those three newcomers? Once those three have finished their drinks, bring them each another round on me.After she leaves, Cade turns back to the halfling woman, a thought striking him.I don't suppose that you have a letter like this one? About a job offer? he asks with a grin.

Ricky S
2010-09-13, 07:58 PM
Zem looks shocked,"Why yes I do." She pulls the letter from a pocket in her cloak. "It seems to be fate that we should meet now then. Isn't that always the way. She smiles softly. "Shall we join that group of newcomers. They seem to be carrying the same letters as us. C'mon." Zem gets off her chair and makes her way over to the group not waiting for the man's reply.

"Evening all, sorry to interrupt but I believe we may be working together." Zem holds up her letter as she talks. "My name is Zem Blackfeather. Pleased to meet you." She holds out her small hand to each in turn. "It'll be a pleasure to work with each of you I am sure. May I join you?"

Nai_Calus
2010-09-13, 08:11 PM
"The more the merrier, of course. Please sit down." Celenden says, smiling cheerfully. "Always nice to make new acquaintances. I'm Celenden, this is my friend Bala, and the lady priestess is Meisia, though I'm not certain of what goddess. There are gaps in my religious training when it comes to the gods of humans, I'm afraid, as I worship the Seldarine, the gods of the Elves, and our creator Corellon Larethian in particular. Though I suppose I'm not far off in guessing a goddess of the sea?"

Ricky S
2010-09-13, 08:52 PM
"Thanks." Zem smiles as well and takes a seat with the group. She is particularly intrigued with Bala having never seen a hadozee this close before. "I have never been much of a religious person myself. My lifestyle was too busy to be praying all the time. I used to travel with my family's circus. If I had to choose though, I would probably worship Olidammara seeing as how I love parties."

Toliudar
2010-09-13, 11:40 PM
Bala

Bala grins down at Zem. She was already taking a shine to the blunt-spoken halfling.

"Now me, if I was in a circus, I'd be praying all the freaking time. That's how it is at sea. I remember one guy, he had symbols for every god I ever heard tell of, and a good dozen that I never seen, all strung together on a necklace. First sign of a storm, he'd start rattling off prayer after prayer, one at a time. Funniest thing ever, except the guy is near onto sixty years now. Can't argue with success."

halfdragon62
2010-09-14, 03:52 AM
As Zem jumps up to join the three newcomers, the smile drops from Cade's features. A dark look comes over him, and his eyes glaze over, staring at nothing. He mutters under his breath Fate... Is an ungenerous bedfellow the darkness passes by as Cade returns to the present, and stands to join Zem with their apparent co-workers, his cheerful facade coming back to full bloom as he stands next to the halfling.

Greetings, so we're all here for the same thing I suppose? Well, I'm fine with that, you lot look capable enough for... Whatever our employer has planned for us

Nai_Calus
2010-09-14, 03:36 PM
"I must admit that the few times I've been on the water, I generally tend to continue to entrust myself to Corellon, though I do offer prayers to Deep Sashelas as well. He's the patron of sea elves and our god of the sea." Celenden turns to the newcomer. "Indeed, and you as well. I wonder what requires such secrecy, though? Well, we'll find out in the morning. In the meantime, I fear I must try to redeem myself from my earlier failures, and pray that I don't do even worse this time." He stands to sing, and rest, the loosening of idle chatter and the refreshment of the wine have done wonders for his voice.

Perform: [roll0]

Toliudar
2010-09-14, 05:37 PM
Remembering the young minstrel's skill on previous occasions, Bala leans forward as he takes the stage, eager to hear what new tricks and ditties he's picked up. And she is not disappointed. As he completes the first number, Bala whoops her appreciation, clapping large hands together over her head with enthusiasm.

"Attaboy!"

She turns to Cade, gesturing at a vacant space around the table. She lifts the bottle of wine invitingly, now nearly drained but with a healthy charge still left.

"Join us, Mister, especially if you're part of this weird club that's forming. I figure you were close enough to hear the last round of introductions, but I didn't catch your name."

Volos
2010-09-14, 07:00 PM
While there seems to have been considerable improvement in Celenden's performance, the number of patrons in the tavern have diminished significantly. While the last handful of drunks clap heartily, they have no coin to spare. The barkeep gives the bard a sly smirk, tossing a silver onto the stage.

"Isn't it about time you should retire your voice, son? The crowds will be here come 'morn, I promise you."

The letters, upon comparison, are identical to each other. The paper is not only made of the same material, but it seems the fibers of the parchment are laying in the same patter and cut at the exact same angle. The ink used is of a uniform bluish black coloring, and the letters are identical as well, down to the last accidental drop of ink. Individually the letters were completely ordinary, but now there was a strangeness about them.

Nai_Calus
2010-09-14, 09:14 PM
Celenden smiles and tosses the coin back as he climbs off the stage.

"A matter of professional pride, good sir. I felt the need for a proper performance to soothe my own mind after that decidedly mediocre bit of singing earlier as I crossed here from the stables." He returns to the others and compares notes with them.

"Well now, that is decidedly strange. It's been too long to try to detect magic on them, I fear, since most copying spells aren't going to register a strong enough aura to linger long enough..." He ponders. "To be honest, I've no idea."

Toliudar
2010-09-14, 10:55 PM
The hadozee shrugs, her shoulder-bones rising and falling to an impressive degree.

"Copying a document exactly is a simple enough magic. The real quandary is why anyone would bother. Now, a sensible employer, one who has a reputation to uphold, signs these kinds of things, so that they don't have to pay a premium to act all mysterious. But...the ecceptric clients do tend to pay well."

She finishes her glass of wine, and settles back with a lopsided smile. She turns to Celeden.

"Don't ya listen to him, boy. You were in fine form up there."

halfdragon62
2010-09-15, 12:22 AM
Agreed, that was most enjoyable. I go by the name of Cade, by the way. As for our employer, I don't think it really matters who, what, or why, just as long as they are paying good money for it

Nai_Calus
2010-09-15, 12:53 AM
"Well, it does somewhat matter to me. I do try to avoid working for evil people or evil causes. I also don't do torture or assassinations. The usual, I suppose."

Toliudar
2010-09-15, 01:29 AM
Bala shrugs.

"Well, don't know how to help you there, kid. I guess I could point out that whoever this is musta gone out of their way to pick us, so it wouldn't make sense to pick somebody who wasn't gonna be willing to take on the job. Just wastes everybody's time, right?"

Ricky S
2010-09-15, 07:18 AM
Zem finishes off her pint of beer in a swig. Maybe he is really paranoid. So paranoid in fact that he is afraid someone will find out who he really is and why he wants to hire us. I had an uncle like that once. He thought that pixies were going to steal his shoes so he made metal ones and locked them to his feet. Then one day he tripped on them and fell into a river and drowned. So the moral of the story is, don't trust the pixies... As Zem tells her tale you can clearly tell that she has had a little more to drink than her stature can handle. Alright all, great meeting you but I think I best be off to bed. Zem gets off her chair. See you in the morning!She walks away to her room swaying slightly and humming the tune that Calenden just played.

Nai_Calus
2010-09-15, 11:01 AM
Celenden chuckles as the halfling goes off. "I'll have to remember that one. It has a nice sense of the absurd." He yawns. "I should go to bed too. Alas, unlike full blooded elves, half-elves have to sleep. I'll see you all in the morning." He rises and goes off to bed.

Ella
2010-09-15, 12:39 PM
"I should rest too" Meisia begins "I must wake especially early to make time to prey to the goddess Geshtai before I will be able to be of much use to our employed, that is should I decide to accept whatever mission he has in mind." she stands, and smiles at Bala as she turns to leave she calls back"At least, should I accept I will be sure of good company."

Toliudar
2010-09-15, 01:20 PM
Bala nods as her companions slide away.

"Guess it has been quite a day. Well, Cade, good night. See you at breakfast, I hope."

She winks, and picks up her walking stick again. With a strange swagger, she makes her way up to her appointed room for the evening.

halfdragon62
2010-09-15, 04:11 PM
Cade nods to each of his new companions as they head off to bed. He remains in the common room for a moment longer, wanting to catch another glimpse of the barmaid, but concludes that would be unwise after the barkeeper gives him a suspicious glare. So, downing the last of his drink, Cade leaves his seat and heads for his room like the others.

Volos
2010-09-15, 06:13 PM
The beds of the inn, while somewhat sub-par, were comfortable enough to afford you a restful night's sleep. The sounds of early morning business would have been enough to waken you if you were not already up for your usual morning ritual. Before you could head downstairs to eat breakfast, there was another one of those cloaked fellows from the Traveler's Guild.

"If you would be so kind as to prepare yourself. You are to eat breakfast at the Manor."

After being given as much time as was needed to prepare, you would be gathered outside the Old Boar's Inn. Another coach would be awaiting you, this time taking you to the Silver Hill district, to the south and east of the Northgate district. The ride would be mostly uneventful, ending finally within the walls of a rather large estate. The Manor itself is a large building made of red brick, accented by age and ever advancing vine growth. It is surrounded by tall and sturdy stone walls, gated off by a double portcullis, and an extensive garden covers any open land of the grounds. The five of you would be led from the coach up a walkway into the entrance of the Manor. The man in the dark red robe would pull back his hood, removing the robe completely to reveal a simple black and white suit.

"My master will be having breakfast with you. It is a great honor to dine with both a nobleman and a guildmaster. Let us hope you are capable of the proper etiquette for such a situation."

The man in the suit would lead you down a hallway to the right as he spoke, servants would offer to take your coats or bags if you brought them. The hallway would lead into the dining room, with a rather plump looking human man sitting at the head of the table. He would offer a coy smile as you were seated by the servants on hand.

"Greetings, I am the man who summoned you here. I am sure you have many questions, but first... tell me about you. I know that you all have considerable talents, but I would like to hear firsthand what it is that you can do."

Ella
2010-09-15, 07:08 PM
Meisia takes a seat at the table, she feels light, almost as if she was in water, bouyant, without her armour on. "I am Meisia, a humble cleric of Geshtai, as for my talents, well, like most of us who follow the goddess, I am capable of healing those who are in pain, and able to offer her blessing upon those who require it." she smiles back at their host "was there perhaps anything else you wish you know?"

Toliudar
2010-09-15, 07:39 PM
Bala enjoys the coach ride, having rarely gotten out of the docks and city core districts of the city. She is especially interested to note whatever insignia mark the exterior of the estate. The green dress is clean and freshly pressed, and her fur is well groomed and shiny. This morning, she is joined by a brightly coloured parrot, which alternately perches on her shoulder and on the opposite bench.

Arriving, she unfolds herself from the carriage and lopes into the mansion after the man in the suit. She declines to have her back checked, preferring to keep it with her, but surrenders her walking stick if asked.

"Hi, Boss! I think everybody here knows already, but I'm Bala. Of the Surfdrinker clan. Sailor, scholar and summoner, that's me!"

The hadozee executes an elaborate bow that requires a certain elasticity of limb. She looks around.

"Real nice place, by the way."

Nai_Calus
2010-09-15, 07:56 PM
Celenden stands and offers a formal bow.

"I am Celenden, a wandering minstrel with some talent for magic and lore, and something of an ability to draw out the potential of others. I also have some minor healing abilities, though nothing like that of a cleric."

Volos
2010-09-15, 07:59 PM
The Guildmaster was already enjoying bits of his breakfast as he listened to the introductions of both the human and the hadozee. A laughter would rise up from deep within him as he heard the cheerful nature of the caster. While the other three were still being shown to their chairs, the Guildmaster would speak up.

"One who gives praise to the goddess of sea who guides the lost to safety, yes... I belive your talents will be greatly needed. A lady who understands the arcane secrets of the universe, your knowledge will be invaluable. And a man who knows how to bring out the best in people by inspiring them to new heights of greatness; your skill with the performing arts will not only lift spirits, but bring out the best in your allies. And the rest of you?"

The first course of the breakfast meal would be brought in by servant girls. Each of the guests would be served a plate of roasted hazlenuts and fresh apples with a small strip of bear jerky and a wedge of ripe cheese. Glasses of the finest spring water would be poured individually, garnished with the zest of a green and yellow fruit. The Guildmaster seemed to be halfway through his second portion of the first course already, but even with his great appitite, he managed to eat in a manner fitting for a noble.

halfdragon62
2010-09-16, 01:52 AM
Name's Cade. Cade states evenly. He doesn't trust nobility, and examines the guildmaster's speech and manner carefully (sense motive, shall I roll this, or leave it to you wolfgang? modifier is +11 total)

I've been on a ship on and off for near the last ten years and know my way around essentially any sea vessel. I am fit, strong, fast on my feet, and equally skilled with a bow, sword, or harsh language. Cade manages a sly grin, hiding his distrust.
I've skills as a diplomat, and I tend to have a way with people. As well as the common tongue I am also fluent in elven, goblin, and dwarven. If you're curious about anything else, you're free to ask my mother... Assuming you can find her. Cade chuckles at his own joke, taking a seat at the table.

halfdragon62
2010-09-16, 03:42 AM
sense motive: [roll0]+11

Ricky S
2010-09-16, 06:37 AM
After a rather interesting occurance in her room during the night Zem woke up (with a slight headache) and prepared her belongings and joined the rest of the group.

After the coach ride and with the instruction of preparing for breakfast at the manor Zem took off her armour, bag and belt full of knives and handed them to the servants on her way in. She tried to make her self as appropriate as possible but there was little that could be done about her worn travelling gear.

She informs the guildmaster of her talents. "Well, my name is Zem Blackfeather. I used to perform in my family's circus which allowed me to hone a great many skills. I am especially profficient in throwing knives and I can also perform other tasks that might be expected of a rogue, finding traps and disabling them, opening locks and the like. I can also speak four languages not including common tongue. Zem says all this rather quickly as she is nervous, never having been served such an excellent meal let alone just for breakfast.

While Zem has placed all of her daggers in the care of the servants she has one concealed on her. Sleight of hand [roll0]+2 (for being hidden in a cloak) +7 (disgused dagger)+ 13 (skill) Total = 30

Volos
2010-09-16, 04:52 PM
"Now that we have all been introduced, I will offer my name. I am Lord Liam Nox, Guildmaster of the Traveler's Guild. I am very pleased to have met all of you. So... A sea dog and circus rogue? Quite interesting indeed, the two of you should be able to handle any sticky situation that comes your way. Well then, I beleive you all are who I have sent for. I asked around, you know. I wanted only the best for this assignment."

The Guidmaster clapped his hands together, and suddenly there were two servants setting a place for a sixth guest. From a west facing door came a man wearing a smaller version of the clothing worn by the Guildmaster. His sash had a fewer pieces of metal attached to it, and there was still a fencing belt on his hip, though there was no blade to be seen.

"This is my son, Lord Conner Nox. It is my wish that he travel with you to Caelin Island. He has not the skill of hardened adventurers like yourselves, but I need him to keep an eye on... oh, I am sorry. I forgot that I have yet to explain what it is that I need you to do for me. There has been rumor that a certain ancient temple has been discovered on Caelin Island, I am sure you have heard of it. I need you to go to the Island and to discover a safe path to the ruins. The Traveler's Guild cannot let such an opportunity go to waste."

Bala Surfdrinker Only
The insignia that you had seen marking the estate is that of a walking stick standing at a fork in the road. Either end of the fork goes on past the horizon of the scene depicted. It was the same insignia that adorned the guild house of the Traveler's Guild. The only difference between the two is that the Traveler's Guild version was made with gold and silver whereas the estate had it's made completely of platinum.

Cade Lucien D'Verrix Only
With your understanding of slight mannerisms and certain tells that people give when nervous or lying, you have come to believe that while the Nobleman (or Guildmaster if you prefer) before you has not lied to you... yet. While it is strange that he has asked after you abilities when he has called you here for your great skill. Whatever it is that he is about to ask you to do, you feel that it may be more dangerous than any regular assignment, and that the fat man at the end of the table is asking about your skills to stall for time.

Zem Blackfeather Only
It would appear that no one has noticed the disguised dagger that you have hidden on your person, but no one has bothered to search you for it either. The servants would have seemed uninterested in the number of daggers you had to hand over.

Toliudar
2010-09-16, 04:59 PM
Bala makes no pretense to hide her excitement.

"OOh! I been hearing about that place. That sounds like fun! Er. I'm assuming you've got a ship booked, and have made some kind of arrangements with the authorities to make sure we don't get sunk on our way there?"

halfdragon62
2010-09-16, 05:10 PM
Oh yes, I've heard plenty about this Caelin island, or at least the controversy surrounding it. But tell me, what... Factors are likely to cause problems on this job? Do you happen to know anything about the wildlife? native groups? Any particular dangers we should be aware of?

Cade then turns to Lord Connor Nox.

Also, how much experience do you have, lad? Naturally we would protect you if circumstances came to it, but can you hold your own in a fight?

Ricky S
2010-09-16, 10:32 PM
Wow, I never thought I would be going to those ruins. So they are real. I wasn't sure with so much controversy surrounding their discovery. Do you know if they contain anything of value? Would there be a finder's fee? Zem says this entusiatically. While she does respect the gods she is more interested in the possible wealth that she could find.

Volos
2010-09-17, 01:44 AM
Now that he had sat at the table to the right of his father, Lord Conner's features were easier to make out. His dark brown hair was long, reaching down his back as far as his shoulder blades. The young lord was blessed with hazel eyes that seemed to shift colors even as one looked upon them. While his father was a large man, Conner seemed to be of a healthier build. His features were quite handsome, a stark difference between father and son. The only facial hair that could be seen was a small strap of hair going from the base of his bottom lip to the point of his chin. Conner would respond to Cade kindly, unlike his jester of a father.

"I have been trained in the use of a blade since I was a very young boy. While I am not as proficient in its use as you might be, D'Verrix, I do my best to avoid situations that require use of a blade to resolve. If it comes to that, I'm sure it will be taken care of."

Lord Liam could not help but laugh, which quickly built up to a full scale chuckle. His son's serious tone had struck a funny bone, though there was nothing about what Conner said that a normal person would find funny. The laughter would calm down after the Guildmaster took a large swig from his goblet.

"Well, I am the Guildmaster of the Traveler's Guild. There are some privileges to be had for being the head of such an organization. The ship sets sail this very night. Captain Darkfang's Wyrmwing is the safest registered ship in all of Caelin. I have all the proper papers in order, a notary and registrar will be on hand to help with the finishing touches of your passports. Even those of you who have sailed recently, special permissions are needed to land on the isle. You assignment is simple, once you reach Caelin Island break trail for the ruins. Once you have discovered or made a safe trail, you may return. Although I am in need of a dungeoneer group. If you so wished, you could also do the preliminary exploration of the ruins, once we discover how to enter them. They are very old, after all. We are afraid we may not be able to enter them without damaging the ruins themselves. There is also the matter of how unstable magic becomes within the immediate vicinity of the ruins. The monsters there haven’t had much contact with people, so they may be tame or very feral, we have yet to have a serious run-in with them. All in all, it is a difficult assignment, but I wouldn’t have sent for the best if was going to be easy."

The breakfast plates would be removed for everyone, including Conner. He had hardly touched his food, but he did not complain as the servants arrived to take the plate away. Within moments everyone would be served small stone bowls with what appeared to be balls of snow within them. Each bowl came with a small spoon, and the snow had the distinct scent of mint. The two Lords each took a few small bites, smiling as the snow melted in their mouths.

halfdragon62
2010-09-17, 02:44 AM
Cade seizes up as he hears his surname. His features, once calm and serene, are now tense with surprise and anger. Below the table, Cade unwittingly grips the handle of a light mace at his belt, his knuckles white beneath his gloves. He composes himself as best he can; but the bead of sweat running down the side of his face betrays him.

I... Prefer Cade... If you don't mind. he manages to reply evenly, gulping between words.

Nai_Calus
2010-09-17, 12:48 PM
Celenden nods at Conner.

"I'm sure we'll be able to protect you if it comes to a fight." He smiles cheerfully at the man, delicately eating his own desert.

"So basically just go in and blaze a trail, and investigate if we can find a way in," He says, looking back at Liam. "Sounds simple enough. Perhaps too simple, as life likes to create incredible messes of even the most mundane of situations. Well, I can't say I haven't been curious about this place since the rumors started."

Toliudar
2010-09-17, 06:01 PM
Bala dives enthusiastically into breakfast as the others chat. Eventually, as she comes up for air.

"I don't doubt that by the end of this you'll be teaching us a thing or two, Connor. Look forward to seeing you in action.

"Huh. Mystery, ancient sites, unstable magic, and a trip on the Wyrmwing! What more could a girl ask for?"

Bala tilts her head for a moment, briefly considering her own rhetorical question.

"Well, money, I guess. And salvage rights. How much are you paying for this little jaunt? And do we get to keep what we find, if we manage to locate a way into this temple place?"

I'm not sure what knowledge roll would be appropriate for this, but has Bala heard anything about the Wyrmwing or the captain in her travels?

Ella
2010-09-18, 10:18 AM
Meisia closes her eyes and contemples the wisdom of Geshtai, Do not fight the current, it shall lead you towards your destination. and opens them, sure of her path "I will do my best to assist you in this undertaking, and when you need investigations done within the ruins, I wish to offer my services."

Volos
2010-09-18, 01:54 PM
Both the Lords Nox seem confused by the reaction that Cade has to hearing his surname spoken. The Guildmaster's visage of confusion fades quickly as more questions are asked, returning Liam to his jolly old self. Conner, on the other hand, keeps his concerned look, watching Cade very carefully. His eyes, while not accusatory, are still intense in their determination to observe Cade. Before his father can begin answering questions again, Conner speaks.

"If I have offended you, Cade, trust that it was without knowing that your given name would bring you such displeasure. I will refrain from using it if that is what you wish. Is there anything else I should avoid saying or doing to avoid angering anyone?"

Lord Liam would chuckle to himself, seeing how his son was already handling himself so carefully. He would reach over, smacking Connor over the back with a firm hand. Connor would turn to look at his father, glaring slightly as his serious statement was cut off by a fatherly pat on the back. The Guildmaster would speak, as he was no longer being interrupted by his imprudent son.

"Your payment, as the letter should have mentioned, will be considerable. For making the trail to the ruins accessible and reasonably safe, the Traveler's Guild is willing to offer you either one thousand five hundred gold or seven hundred gold with monthly royalty. You can choose which payment you prefer once the task is complete. As for the ruins, I personally am offering eight hundred gold for finding a way inside. If you explore the ruins, I reserve the right as patron of the salvage group to review every find. I keep what is deemed either of historical value or of personal interest to myself, but each piece that I keep will earn you a sizeable reward. Anything that is of common value; coins, gems, and the like is yours to keep. Is this a fair agreement?"

Toliudar
2010-09-18, 02:55 PM
Bala sets down her fork with a clatter, and rises to extend a big hand in confirmation to Lord Liam.

"Sounds good, Liam. Shake on it?"

halfdragon62
2010-09-18, 04:49 PM
Sounds... Good to me. Sorry for my... outburst... Its been a... a while since my surname has been used in conversation.

Toliudar
2010-09-18, 07:51 PM
Bala turns, the handshake forgotten, intrigued by this new mystery.

"How come? Is it a swear word where you're from or something?"

halfdragon62
2010-09-18, 10:48 PM
D'Verrix was the name of a man who is now dead and forgotten, or so I thought... Cade glances back at the guild master and his son, his initial shock worn away, and his steely calm returned.
my name is Cade, nothing else.

Volos
2010-09-19, 12:30 AM
Connor would remain silent, taking a moment to drink from his wineglass while watching Cade carefully. The young Noble was evaluating the man, trying to see more than what was apparent to the eye. The Guildmaster would reach forward, taking Bala's offered hand and shaking it.

"I'm glad that the deal seems fair to you Miss Surfdrinker, but I think that we all would feel more comfortable with a formal contract. A handshake is a sign of faith, but a contract is an enforceable promise. After all, you wouldn't want to miss out on your possible royalties or salvage terms, now would you?"

Lord Liam would lean back after releasing Bala's hand, folding his hands over his rather large belly. A coy smile would pass over his lips as his right hand would rise up to let loose a resounding snap. At the sound of this snap the bowls of flavored snow would be removed by numerous servants, leaving the table bare. The Lord would slowly rise before beginning to walk toward a door to the east side of the room. Connor would not be far behind, signaling for the group to follow.

halfdragon62
2010-09-19, 02:11 AM
Cade stands and follows Connor, returning his gaze with the cold, calculating expression of a predatory bird evaluating a possible threat.

Ricky S
2010-09-19, 05:25 AM
Your offer is most agreeable. I defiantely accept. I would also like to participate in searching the ruins. I would do that even without the possibility of a reward but with a reward how could I possibly turn it down? So what are we waiting here for? I wish to set sail immediately. Zem looks quite happy as she accepts. She looks at Cade's grim face,Cade you should lighten up, save your serious mood for when we encounter possible danger on our journey. A name is just a name. She gives him a cheesy smile in the hopes it will lighten his mood.

halfdragon62
2010-09-19, 07:37 AM
Cade turns to Zem in surprise, but then closes his eyes, his features softening considerably.

I have heard many stories of the wisdom and simple yet full-proof logic possessed of the halfling race, and it would seem they are justified. Indeed, a name is no more material than a dream, actions make the man, I thank you.

Cade turns back to Lord Connor, and addresses him apologetically.

Forgive my rude bearing, I meant no offense to you or your father, nor do I begrudge you for knowing more than I expected.

Cade extends his hand toward his employer, offering to seal his apology with a handshake.

Toliudar
2010-09-19, 11:09 AM
Bala

Bala shrugs. Gathering her pack from under her chair, she follows the others out after Lord Liam. She slaps Cel on the back as she passes.

"C'mon, kid. You could be the first artist to see the inside of that tomb for a thousand years. Should be good for a few ditties."

Nai_Calus
2010-09-19, 06:03 PM
"Indeed, I'm quite looking forward to it. Nothing like exploring a new and exciting place."

Volos
2010-09-20, 01:51 PM
The room that everyone had entered had a rather large desk with six chairs opposite. Sitting behind the desk was a spectacled Gnome, holding a rather large feather quill. He had been stroking his small goatee until everyone had arrived. He would push a piece of paper across the desk toward them, which appeared to be the very contract that the Guildmaster had spoken of. The contract appeared to be nothing more than a simple agreement between Lord Liam and the party. They were agreeing to receive payment for completing these tasks, and they would not be paid in full until the tasks were complete. If they were to find anything within the ruins, they would have to allow Lord Liam first pick of anything of historical or magical value. Gems, coins, precious metals, minor magical items, and minor artworks would be for the party to keep and/or sell as they saw fit. If there were any items claimed by Lord Liam, the party had a right to offer him a price. For a fair price considering the item's worth, he could refuse to sell. For a payment of one and a half times the fair price of the item, Lord Liam will be bound by this contract to sell. The party may buy one such item from Lord Liam per five found. This includes items bought either for the fair price, or the one and a half times the fair price. In the event that Lord Liam is imprisoned, killed, kidnapped, or otherwise unable to fulfill his obligations in regards to this contract, Lord Conner will replace him and take responsibility for fulfilling his obligations.

"You sign here, here, and here. Lord Liam, I suggest you sign first."

The Guildmaster would sign the contract, offering the pen to Conner, who would also sign. As the pen would be handed to Bala, Conner would approach Cade.

"I do not hold your rudeness against you. You say I knew more than you expected, but it seems that I did not know enough. If I had, I would not have offended you."

Once everyone had signed the contract, the party would be led to the docks via the coach that had brought them here. At the docks they would be ushered onto the Wyrmwing. It would appear that the crew was still below deck, making quite the ruckus. The captain would walk out from his quarters. He was a black scaled Kobold with an oversized bicorne hat. At his side rested a small cutlass and a hand crossbow, both hanging loosely from his belt. He would stand with his arms crossed over his chest, watching the party in complete silence.

Ricky S
2010-09-20, 07:51 PM
I am signing under the premise that there are no legal loopholes or legal fidgey-widgyness as my uncle would say. If there are, I'll be sure to take matters into my own hands to claim anything that is rightfully mine. Just so we're clear. Zem then happily steps forwards to sign the document in an extremely messy handwriting.

Zem walks happily onto the deck of the Wyrmwing she takes in the sights and smells of the ship and eyes the captain. Zem whispers to the group, Boy, he sures looks grim. I hope he doesn't mind having women on board. You know, that superstition and all.

Nai_Calus
2010-09-20, 08:17 PM
Celenden peruses the document for anything amiss in the language, and assuming he finds nothing awry, signs his name in a flowing, elegant hand. He writes his name in Elven script.

Decipher script: [roll0] + 6 modifier(4 ranks, +2 INT mod)

As he approaches the ship and surveys it and his captain, he searches his memory for anything pertinent.

Bardic Knowledge: [roll1] + 7 (5 bard levels, +2 INT mod)

Ella
2010-09-20, 09:31 PM
Meisia signs the document, 'By the grace of Geshtai her humble servent Meisia' with a smile before heading onto the ship. Once up the gangplank she takes a deep breath of the salty sea air and sighs, it never got old, and she never got enough of it, even knowing its effect on armour would never prevent her taking to the waters.

halfdragon62
2010-09-20, 11:13 PM
Cade signs his name after briskly skimming through the contract.

If there are any loopholes or tricks in this then I'll do what is best by me he thinks to himself. When the group arrives at the Wyrmwing Cade approaches the captain and asks about the seaworthiness of the vessel, how many hands are on deck at any time, how battle-worthy they are, locations of tactical weak spots and choke points, as well as any information the captain can provide on what potential dangers the ship may come across during the trip. After he has his questions answered, Cade will want to peruse the vessel personally to "get a feel" for it; examining the different areas of the ship, getting an idea how large it is, what defenses it has at its disposal, and also talking with and asking general questions of some crew members.

Toliudar
2010-09-21, 01:00 PM
Bala

The hadozee gives the contract only a cursory read, and signs with a flourish.

On the way to the docks, Bala asks Meisia and Zem if they'd like to bunk up for the trip.

"I don't usually have problems on board, but some boys are funny about non-boys."

At the Wyrmwing, she reports to the Captain, and lets him know that, although she's a passenger, Bala's an experienced sailor and can lend a hand where he needs. She sees Cade casing the vessel and is intrigued, but says nothing. Her first stop is the galley, to see what kind of provisions have been laid in for the journey.

Volos
2010-09-21, 08:36 PM
The crew of the Wyrmwing were busy with loading different barrels and crates onto the ship. Up on the forecastle there was a pair of large men turning a wheel to draw in the anchor's chain through the hawsepipe. Soon the anchor itself would be seen, a huge weight of steel covered in all manner of algae and other underwater greenery. This ship had been at birth for far too long. The kobold captain would give the group a single look before turning to walk up the steps to the forecastle of the ship. He would stop once at the top of the steps, now addressing the party.

"I am Captain Blackfang, and you lot are being paid to be taken to Caelin Isle on my Wyrmwing. I think the whole business is rubbish!" A cheer would rise up from the crew, as they agreed with their captain on this note. "But it was the only way I could get this poor gal out of dock and back onto the sea, as she so very rightly deserves. Young master Cade, you seem to want to know about my vessel. As Captain I am obligated to inform my crew of such information as it pertains to the defenses of the ship and potential dangers. I could use adventurers who know how to handle themselves on a boat. Even a sturdy sword arm or spellcaster could be of some use. I'll tell you what... you join up with me crew, and I'll give you one hundred gold for the crossing. Each. If this does not suit you, then you will find your quarters on the lower deck level just past the Ship's Office."

Regardless of how they would answer, Blackfang had his own duties to attend to. He took his position on the forecastle, shouting commands to the Boatswain and the Helmsman. They, in turn, shouted orders to the deckhands. Soon the ship would begin pulling out of dock, drifting slowly out to sea.

halfdragon62
2010-09-21, 10:58 PM
Cade watches the captain return to his work.
Hm. Not the most helpful reply... But a job offer ain't bad... Cade approaches the other members of the group.
What do you lot think about joining the crew? We'd have some steady work and patron, and if this new temple is going to become such a hot spot, then there's likely to be a lot of money involved.

Toliudar
2010-09-22, 10:56 AM
Bala doesn't even let the Captain finish before she responds.

"Given the choice between twiddling my thumbs all trip and actually sailing? No question, sign me up, Captain! I got a little magic that can help shore up the hull, and catch some fish for some fresh meat in our soup."

She executes a rather sloppy salute, and turns to the others, smiling, to hear how they respond.

Nai_Calus
2010-09-22, 10:20 PM
"I'm afraid I have no skill with sailing and have only infrequently been at sea and not for long, so I'd be a poor addition to your crew, but I'll volunteer my services as entertainment and inspiration."

Ricky S
2010-09-22, 10:46 PM
Zem offers her services as part of the crew as she is eager to stay on deck where she can see what is happening. I'll offer my assistance as well, although I do not know how much of a help I'll be. I can use rope well enough and tie knots and things which should be helpful on a ship like this. Or maybe I could sit up in the crows nest. I have quite keen eyes.

halfdragon62
2010-09-22, 10:51 PM
Sign me up! It'll be good to work on a ship again!

Ella
2010-09-22, 11:07 PM
"I would enjoy the opportunity to help, in any way I can during the crossing." Meisia responds to the offer.

Volos
2010-09-23, 01:22 AM
The captain gives a fang filled smirk to the group as they accept his offer, he turns to look at someone behind him, nodding his head slightly toward the party. The person nearly trips over himself as he comes down the steps leading from the forecastle to the main deck. He is a handsome blonde man wearing a green vest and black slacks.

"Welcome to the crew, I'm First Mate Huxley. That would make you..." Huxley takes a look at a list that Conner hands to him. He can be heard muttering your names, trying to find a way to pronounce them properly. "...Ship Mage Bala, Windsinger Celenden... umm... Deckhand Zem, Master-at-Arms Cade... and Prelate Meisia. Ship Mage Bala, you are responsible for keeping the ship clear of any natural dangers and to keep her hull intact. If you cannot blast a rocky outcropping out of our way, you best be able to fix the hole it leaves. Windsinger Celenden, it is your job to keep the crew in good spirits. The captain is a bit suspicious, so you will have to play to appease Geshtai if a storm begins to brew. Deckhand Zem, you are in charge of keeping the deck clear of excess rope. Also you will make rounds to check on the riggings. If even one of them is loose, we could be sent off course. Master-at-Arms Cade, I am leaving you to supervise the armory and to keep order among the crew. Don't kill anyone, but feel free to knock some sense into them if need be. And Prelate Meisia, you patron is Geshtai, correct? Good. You will advise the captain as well as aid Mage Bala in the protection of the ship. Most everyone aboard revere the lady of those lost, so you may be sought after for spiritual council as well. If everyone understands their duties, we will be heading out."

In the time it took First Mate Huxley to explain your duties to you, Wyrmwing had already unfurled her sails and begun to catch the first wisps of wind. The port of Theriain was already shrinking in the distance as the open sea grew to encompass all that could be seen. The sun hung overhead, shining its midday light over the crew and the crisp waters of the Lycian Gulf. As peaceful as this moment seemed, each of you were suddenly called upon for your individual duties. The First Mate needed to speak to Bala about her spell selections. The men of the crew were already all humming songs, but none of them could decide on a tune and it was causing some minor tension. The rigging seemed secure, but the captain still shouted for a rigging check. A man built like a bull came up from behind to give a firm, but friendly smack on the back to Cade. He would introduce himself as Ox and ask if the new Master-at-Arms wouldn't be up for a friendly card game after supper. He would explain that it was a great way to get to know the crew. The captain would call on Meisia personally, asking her if they had Geshtai's blessing on this voyage.

halfdragon62
2010-09-23, 02:25 AM
Cade nods slightly to Ox.

After supper, very well. I shall join you then.

Until supper is called, Cade will wander the ship to get a feel for it, helping where he can, and also making what small talk he can with the crew without encouraging them to slack off.

Toliudar
2010-09-23, 01:31 PM
Bala nods, and is happy to check in with the First Mate Huxley about spell selections. After stowing her gear safely below, she does a quick examination of the hull by leaning out over the sides, and asks Huxley for permission to access the crow's nest as needed to keep watch for rocks.

If they want blastiness, Bala will adapt her spell selections to take out a few other spells and stock up on mending (or repair minor damage), acid breath and water breathing, just in case. She's also open to other suggestions, if it seems that he knows what he's talking about with spells.

Nai_Calus
2010-09-24, 12:03 AM
Celenden listens to the discordant humming and plucks from it the likeliest themes and searches his memory for a suitable song. He finds one that he heard several years ago while sailing between port towns with his uncle in order to cut off some land travel, and begins to sing:

"I hear it again, the call of the sea
Pulling once more in my heart
So off once again, happy and free
Following my fav'rite chart

The wind in the sails is music to me
Beautiful as a lover
Tis true you see, this is the life for me
I'd not have any other

The land behind me, the water ahead,
I care not if I e'er go back
For all that I need are stars and the sea
I care not what else I lack"

Alas, he only gets through the first one and a half verses before he trips on a rope and falls halfway down a flight of stairs, before sliding down the rest of it and landing on his face. He pulls himself up and grins sheepishly.

"Well, I did say I've no skill at sailing. Definitely going to have to wait until I get my sea legs about me."

(OOC: Yes, I know the poetry is awful. Alas for Celenden, I am a terrible poet.)

Volos
2010-09-24, 10:14 PM
Seeming satisfied with Cade's answer, Ox would head below deck to deal with some pressing duties involving balancing the cargo in the holds below. While the performance was cut short, a strong hand would be offered to Celenden to help him up. Once he was on his feet, the bard would find six silver in his hand. It appeared that the crew enjoyed what little of his song they were fortunate enough to hear... before the tripping part. The man who helped the half elf up would sigh before sitting on a nearby barrel.

"Your friend is a fool to play with Ox... I still owe him half my wages for this trip, both ways. I just wish I could catch that card shark at his own game..."

First Mate Huxley would express interest in seeing Bala prepare more spells that could aid in repairs to the ship, explaining that the waters close to the island were dangerous. They were still several days out, so for now she would be fine with preparing more offensive spells.

Nai_Calus
2010-09-25, 12:51 PM
Celenden thanks the man as he's helped up.
"Thank you, good sir. Not quite yet used to the ship, I fear. He listens to the comment about the card game and frowns.

"Indeed? How terrible. People who cheat at cards are pathetic. Perhaps I should observe this game and see if I can pick up on what he's doing. If I can figure that out during the voyage and tell you and the rest of the crew, perhaps you can counter his cheating and even drive him to play fairly. I'm not the best in the world at spotting things or judging tells, but I've a little skill at it."

halfdragon62
2010-10-10, 12:11 AM
Once supper has finished, Cade seeks out Ox and any other card players participating in the game, and makes an attempt to get on each player's good side with small talk before the game starts.

diplomacy: [roll0]+9

Volos
2010-10-10, 02:15 AM
Many of the men seemed to warm up to Cade quite easily. They found little about him that the did not like. Many would point out that they felt safer with a trained adventurer on board, and that it had been quite a few voyages since they had a half-decent Master-at-Arms. They would invite Cade to the game, which was held in the map room. Shoving everything off the table, the boys would put down a pack of well used cards. While everyone got ready for the game, anyone was allowed to shuffle the deck. It was a sign of trust, so that no-one could later complain that the deck was stacked. Ox would come in, smiling to anyone who was in attendance.

"Shall we get this thing started? Here are the rules..."

Ox would go on to explain that the goal of the game was to pass your worst cards off to your opponents. Each player would have a chance to choose how many cards would be passed that turn out of your five card hand. The player with the best hand at the end of the round, by poker standards, would win. An interesting exception to the rule, he would note, is if a player manages to collect each of the lowest ranking cards; Ace through five of any suit. This is called drawing Skulls. If this happens, the round ends immediately and each of the losing players would pay double what they wagered. Once the ante was determineed, everyone would pay up. For each value of the ante over the base that you pay, you get to draw an additional card.

Make a Profession (Gambler) check. Five ranks in Bluff gets you a +2 Synergy Bonus to the Check. Five ranks in Sense Motive gets you a +2 Synergy Bonus to the Check. If your check is highest, you have won the round. If your check beats 30, then you have drawn skulls. (With my houserule on a nat 20 skill check adding +10 to your roll, a nat 20 is automatically drawing Skulls)

If the ante was 1sp and you paid an extra 1sp, you can draw an extra card, gaining a +1 bonus to your check. For each time you pay the ante again, you get another +1 bonus to a maximum of +5 with five extra cards.

If you would like to cheat, make a Knowledge (Local) or Profession (Gambler) check. If you beat my DC, you find a way to cheat and you will get a bonus.

The Old man seemed to appreciate Celenden's concern, and thanked him for his trouble. He seemed regretful that he had little to nothing to offer the bard for his help, but he promised to make it up to him somehow before they reached the island.

halfdragon62
2010-10-10, 02:52 AM
Cade wages 2 silver pieces in the first round

profession (gambler): [roll0]+5 (+2 bluff synergy, +2 sense motive synergy, +1 wis modifier)

Volos
2010-10-10, 02:46 PM
The members of the crew who are playing are Ox, Tomas, and Wendt. For the first game Ox deals. Tomas puts down four silver, drawing an extra card. Wendt watches Cade carefully, only putting in the base ante.

Hands
Ox [roll0]

Tomas [roll1]

Wendt [roll2]

Nai_Calus
2010-10-10, 05:56 PM
Celenden lounges around the room, watching the card game. He keeps an eye on Ox's movements.

Spot: [roll0] + 5

Volos
2010-10-10, 06:05 PM
Tomas seemed to be rather confused as to how he could lose. He mutters something about extra cards and the odds before pulling in all the cards to shuffle them. Wendt seemes less than surprised that the round went to Cade. He'd comment on the beginner's luck. The pile of ten silver would be pushed across the table toward Cade. The next ante would also be two silver. Ox would pay six silver, drawing two extra cards. Tomas, seeing more determined to win, would also pay six to draw two extra. Wendt seemed fine with what he had, just paying the ante. He commented that he should let the fools fight this one out. The cards would be dealt out again.

Hands

Ox [roll0]

Tomas [roll1]

Wendt [roll2]

@Celenden
You don't seem to notice any cheating done by Ox... not yet anyways. Roll again for the next hand.

halfdragon62
2010-10-10, 09:44 PM
Cade matches Tomas, and also bids six silver pieces to draw two extra cards.

profession (gambler):[roll0]+7(2 bluff synergy+2 sense motive synergy+2 extra cards+1 wis modifier)

Toliudar
2010-10-11, 10:25 AM
Bala settles in to watch as well, curling up into a furry ball near Cel. She's fascinated by the interplay of chance and skill.

Spot check: [roll0]

Volos
2010-10-11, 12:33 PM
Tomas appears not only surprised by his victory, but somewhat confused as well. He takes the pile of twenty silver, grinning widely. Ox seems to take it in stride, giving Cade a sly smirk from across the table. He would reach deep into his pockets to pull out three gold pieces. Many of the crewmen who gathered to watch the game made quite the fuss from seeing so much money all at once.

"Two month's pay... I'm feeling lucky. Any one else in? How about you, little lady?"

Pointing to Bala with one hand, Ox would drop the single gold piece as the ante, waiting for anyone who was man enough to play with him. Tomas, having won a rather large sum, was staying in with his silver. He would pay ten silver to match the one gold ante, almost giggling as he waited for the cards to be dealt. Wendt pushes his chair back and walks out of the room, muttering something under his breath.

@Celenden & Bala
You have figured out Ox's game. The 'well used deck' is so old that certian cards have marks on them from a few too many weeks of play. The average card just has a dogged ear or a odd stain, but after watching two hands you have caught onto the tells within the marks. You can either call Ox on this, or you can join the next game with a +3 Cheat bonus. If you want to catch him, you'll have to catch him in the middle of the next hand. (after the hands are rolled)

Toliudar
2010-10-11, 12:53 PM
Bala

Bala grins a wide toothy smile, and waves off Ox' offer.

"Nah, thanks, Ox. I don't play cards. It must be easier, though, with the marks on the card faces telling you what's on the other side and all."

halfdragon62
2010-10-11, 02:20 PM
Cade leans back in his chair, pondering the game for a moment.

After a moment, he silently grins, reaches into his pocket, then places five gold pieces on top of the ante.

Life is short, so why don't we live a little?

profession (gambler)[roll0]+9(+4 synergies, +4 extra cards, +1 wis)

halfdragon62
2010-10-11, 02:26 PM
When Cade hears Bala's reply to Ox's offer, his smile drops.

Placing his hand of cards facedown on the table, Cade leans back into his chair and sighs.

Well... That just takes the thrill right out of the game

Nai_Calus
2010-10-11, 04:20 PM
Celenden makes a little 'tsk'ing noise.

"Come, come, cheating like that simply angers the gods. Don't want Olidammara or Erevan Ilesere deciding that it's time for a little bad luck to even out some of the good. Plus it's simply not sporting and angers your fellow players. I heard of a man once who cheated at dice, and one night the dice just completely went against him, no matter what he did. He wound up losing everything that night and then the next morning they found him dead. Terrible business, really. Best to take the wins and losses as they come."

He smiles friendlily.

Volos
2010-10-11, 08:41 PM
Having been caught at his game, and just about to pull in big winnings from the fooled crewmembers and Cade, Ox doesn't seem all that thrilled with being caught. He pushes the table over, blocking everyone but himself and Celedren from the exit. He takes advantage of the confusion of tossed coins and cards to try and run out the door.

"Damn it! I don't need this!"

There would be a small window of opprotunity for the Bard to attempt to stop Ox, but they were on a ship. There really wouldn't be anywhere for him to run right now, and being that he hadn't won a single hand that night no harm had been done... not yet anyways. Tomas would throw down his cards, cursing as he went on about having had just drawn skulls. It may have been, he'd go on to complain, the only chance he would have had to settle his debt.

Nai_Calus
2010-10-11, 09:35 PM
Celenden tries to stop Ox as he leaves.

"Come now, don't be foolish..."

[roll0] +4 oh god the grappling rules *weeps*

Toliudar
2010-10-11, 10:26 PM
Bala makes sure that she's well out of the way of flying tables, chips and Ox.

"Hey, buddy, you invited us to join your game. Now you get pissed off about a little chatter around the table? I'd have expected more from a crewmember of the Wyrmwing."

She hunches well away from the flailing limbs.

Ricky S
2010-10-12, 06:15 AM
While the rest of the party is gambling and such Zem takes it upon herself to get to know the ship better. She runs enthusiastically around checking the ropes and being a bit of a nuisance as she does it.

Volos
2010-10-12, 10:46 PM
In his attempt to grab Ox, Celenden finds himself at the mercy of the skilled sailor's boot. Apparently attempting to get a recently exposed card shark to stop moving is harder than it looks. The kick was hard, but it didn't do any serious damage to Celenden. In his attempted excape, Ox would only get as far as the top of the stairs before the table finished it's flip. Now not only were Cade and Bala free to do as they wished, but the gamblers were already busy picking their coins out of the mess. As she was busy inspecting the rigging of the sails, Zem would see a disgrunted bald man running up from the lower decks. He seemed to be running from something. It was hard not to notice, with all the ruckus he was causing.

@Celenden
You take [roll0] Non-Leathal Damage

When you attempted to grapple you provoked an attack of opprotunity, and he hit you, so the grapple failed. Sorry.

halfdragon62
2010-10-12, 11:16 PM
Oh dear... Well, I suppose we better follow him, and make sure he doesn't do anything rash Cade says before bounding up the stairs to follow Ox.

Toliudar
2010-10-13, 12:01 AM
Bala sees no particular point in following Ox at this moment, so rather takes a moment to gather up his marked deck.

"You okay there, Cel?"

Nai_Calus
2010-10-13, 12:56 AM
"I've been through worse. It'll heal," he says, picking himself up and dusting himself off. "Terrible overreaction, if you ask me. Although it might have been rather more diplomatic not to call him out on it so publicly, Bala. But I certainly understand wanting to out someone like that, indeed, I was watching because one of the other crewmembers mentioned thinking something was amiss and I wanted to see if I could spot what it was and help." He looks sympathetically at Tomas.

"I'm sorry. What kind of debt is this? Perhaps we can help with things."

Volos
2010-10-13, 01:53 AM
Tomas seemed glad that someone cared about his plight, so he immediately started babbling to Celenden and Bala. He would do this while collecting the pile of 20 silver that he had won through the course of the game. Bala would have, after a few moments of careful searching, a deck of marked cards.

"Well it's not just me, ya see... it's a whole bunch of the boys. We all owe serious money to Ox and to loan sharks back on shore. And we though solid land was safe... Anyways, if you really want to help I guess we could set up some way to make Ox square with us. Aside from cards, the only other things he bets on is fights and bones. He is a lucky bones shooter and he can punch as hard as anything I've ever seen... or heard of. But you don't want to catch him with trick dice, then he'd really get mad. A lot of the crew look up to him, so there isn't really much we can do about it."

Cade would catch up to Ox. He was standing near the top of the stairs panting. Being that he was promoted to Master-at-Arms, it was Cade's duty to take care of any disiplinary issues within the crew.

halfdragon62
2010-10-13, 04:16 AM
Cade slows to a walk as he nears Ox, raising his left hand up, palm open, imploringly, but leaving his right hand free.

Ox, come now, don't be a fool. What's to be gained from doing anything rash right now? Why are you running? hm? Where are you running? Overboard? To your credit, you could last for some time out in the ocean, but how long? two days? Maybe three? Would you rather drown out in the wet and cold, starving? Alone? Or would you rather come back downstairs and admit you made a mistake? Surely you wouldn't rather drown than face, what? Paying back those you cheated? Really, Ox? Is that so much more terrible than drowning? Take my advice Ox, from one sailor to another, you don't want to do anything drastic right now.

Diplomacy: [roll0]+13(9 total diplomacy plus synergy from 5 ranks each in sense motive and bluff)