PDA

View Full Version : [D&D 3.x] The Sinthar (Monster)

Jergmo
2010-09-13, 02:35 AM
As of late, I've been creating new monsters and working to revamp old ones that I've created. I posted this creature once many moons ago, but I'll not commit Thread Necromancy. I give you, the Sinthar!

Sinthar
Size/Type: Medium Magical Beast
Hit Dice: 6d10+18 (51 hp)
Initiative: +6 (+2 Dex, +4 Improved Initiative)
Speed: 50 ft. (10 squares), Climb 35 ft.
Armor Class: 18 (+2 Dex, +6 natural), touch 12, flat-footed 16
Base Attack/Grapple: +6/+10
Attack: Scythe blade +10 melee (2d4+6)
Full Attack: 2 Scythe blades +10 melee (2d4+6) and bite +8 melee (1d6+2) and 2 claws +8 melee (1d4+2)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Pounce, trip, rake 1d4+2
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision, scent, mimic, fast healing 5
Saves: Fort +8, Ref +7, Will +4
Abilities: Str 19, Dex 14, Con 17, Int 4, Wis 15, Cha 6
Skills: Hide +7*, Jump +20, Listen +12, Spot +12, Survival +2*
Feats: TrackB, Power Attack, Improved Initiative, Multiattack
Environment: Any hills, mountains or underground
Organization: Solitary, pair, or clutch (3-5)
Challenge Rating: 6
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Usually neutral evil
Advancement: 7-9 HD (Medium); 10-18 HD (Large)
Level Adjustment: —

Sinthar, also known as scythebeasts, are vicious, highly adaptable creatures that inhabit mountains, caves and hilly terrain where their carapace may blend in, appearing to be a large rock. A Sinthar is the same size as a very large dog, having four legs ending with claws. Most formidable of the Sinthar's weapons, however, are a pair of scythe-like blades at the ends of an additional pair of limbs that jut out from the creature's shoulders, which are capable of being tucked under its body when it needs to blend in with its surroundings. While the Sinthar cannot regenerate lost limbs, it does repair damage on the cellular level at an alarming rate, its physiology also adapted to be able to survive in a variety of environments.
Along with these advantages, the Sinthar possesses very keen eyesight and hearing, as well as a special organ that allows it to mimic the sounds of creatures that it has encountered and heard. Over time, as additional prey are lured to Sinthar packs, their library of vocalizations becomes more sophisticated. They have been known to lure animals by imitating the sounds of offspring in distress, or in the case of humans in borderland communities, the screams of women and children.

Combat
Sinthar often lie in hiding, blending in with its surroundings in foothills, mountainous terrain and caves. Once a member of the pack discovers suitable prey, they will use their Mimic ability to draw it near, followed by the pack charging the unwitting creature to take advantage of Pounce. Lone Sinthar, when battling with prey that isn't larger than themselves, will often choose to grapple after making a successful trip attack. While maintaining a hold, they will continue to attack with their scythe blades and bite. Sinthar that are badly injured will often retreat from battle, biding their time as their wounds heal thanks to their fast healing.

Mimic (Su): Sinthar have the ability to mimic the vocalizations of various creatures they encounter. This is the equivalent of a ghost sound spell that can be used at will, with a Will save DC equal to (10 + ˝ the Sinthar's HD + the Sinthar's Wis modifier + 4) to recognize that there is something amiss with the mimicked sound. This includes a +4 racial bonus.

Pounce (Ex): If a Sinthar charges, it can make a full attack.

Trip (Ex): A Sinthar that hits with a scythe claw attack can attempt to trip the opponent (+8 check modifier) as a free action without making a touch attack or provoking an attack of opportunity. If the attempt fails, the opponent cannot react to trip the Sinthar. Sinthar receive a +4 racial bonus on trip checks.

Rake (Ex): Attack bonus +8 melee, damage 1d4+2. A Sinthar gains two rake attacks when Pouncing or maintaining a hold on an opponent.

Skills
A Sinthar has a +10 racial bonus on Hide checks in hilly, mountainous and underground terrain, as well as a +8 racial bonus on Climb, Jump, Listen and Spot checks. It can always choose to take 10 on a Climb check, even if rushed or threatened.

*Sinthar receive a +4 bonus on Survival checks when tracking by scent.

Debihuman
2010-09-14, 03:01 PM
Interesting. I think this has too many special abilities for the number of hit dice it has. There is nothing in its ecology that suggest why it should have resistance to cold and fire. I recommend losing that but keeping the fast healing. Using Vorpal Tribble's CR estimator, the CR is actually 8 not 6. Either give it more hit dice or lose the resistances.

Vorpal Tribble’s CR estimator

#1. Divide creature's average HP by 4.5 to 6.5. 4.5 for 5 HD or lower, 5 for 6-10 HD, 5.5 for 11-15 HD, 6 for 16-20 HD., 6.5 for 20-25 HD.

[51/5 = 10]

#2. Add 1 for each five points above 10 its AC is, subtracting 1 for every 5 below. [8]

#3. Add 1 for each special attack (+2 to +5 or more if it has a decent number of spells in its spell-like abilities). [3]

#4. Add 1 for each quality unless you deem it worthy of more. Add 1 for each resistance and 10 points of DR it has, and 2 for each immunity. Subtract 1 for each vulnerability. [3]

#5. Add 1 for every two bonus feats it has. [0]

#6. Divide total by 3. This should be its rough CR.

24/3 = 8 This has a real CR of 8 but with only 6 HD.

Debby

Jergmo
2010-09-15, 12:23 AM
I had it for environmental flexibility. But, it's not important - I'll go for getting rid of 'em.