PDA

View Full Version : [PEACH] Broken Corpse

Morph Bark
2010-09-13, 03:55 AM
Continuing the series of PrCs based off Commoner Flaws!
Earlier: Pig Master (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168146)!
Start: Chicken Master (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167862)!
And the follow-up after this one: the Tasted (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9361109)!

BROKEN CORPSE
Alternatively: Corpse Master

it'shardtofindafittingpictureforthishelpplease?

What is broken? Broken is something that does not work as it is supposed to. So basically, undead are corpses that are broken. They do things corpses shouldn’t be capable of, like moving.

You’re dead, but you still managed to get into this Prestige Class! You’re awesome!

ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
Flaws: Corpse (Dragon 330, page 87)

Corpse
You are dead.
Benefits: You're dead, but you get an extra feat!

Class Skills
No skills are considered class skills for a Corpse.
Skills Points at Each Level: 1 + Int

Hit Dice: d1

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

0|
--|
--|
--|
--|Barely Sentient

1st|
+0|
+0|
+0|
+0|I Fight With My Brain!, Improvement

2nd|
+0|
+0|
+0|

3rd|
+0|
+0|
+0|

4th|
+0|
+0|
+0|
+0| I Fight With My Brain!, Improvement

5th|
+0|
+0|
+0|

6th|
+0|
+0|
+0|

7th|
+0|
+0|
+0|

8th|
+0|
+0|
+0|
+0|Improvement, You’re Awesome![/table]

Barely Sentient: A Corpse has reawakened itself by pure willpower to stay in the world of the living - or just by pure chance, a random effect of magic or science, perhaps kept alive by a fridge with a degree in Existential Philosophy even. It’s ability scores become Int 3, Wis 1 and Cha 1. It has no Str, Dex or Con to speak of. Its type is still the same as when it was (or would have been) alive, but it isn’t affected by positive energy, nor negative energy. You have hardness 1 as if you were an object (which, actually, you are!). An Animate Dead spell or similar can be used on a Corpse to turn it into an undead. An Animate Objects spell or similar can be used on a Corpse to turn it into a construct. A Raise Dead spell turns all gained Broken Corpse levels into Commoner levels, but can only be used if the Corpse is willing.

I Fight With My Brain!: Besides having already defied the universe by being a living corpse, a Corpse further defies the universe by being capable of two simple actions through the power of his dead intelligence (or what is left of it). At level 1, he can attack anyone within 30 feet of him with a mental shock of power, automatically dealing 1d6+Int bonus damage, as a full-round action. Secondly, he can telekinetically drag himself 5 feet as a full-round action.

At level 2 and every level thereafter, a Corpse’s Int score increases by 1. Also, if a Corpse ever gains Str and Dex scores, he can use his brain as a +1 throwing returning brain. (A brain's weapon statistics are like those of a sap, except with a range of 10 ft.)

Improvement: At every level you can improve an amount of your class features equal to the number of that level (so 1 at level 1, 2 at level 2, etc). You can increase the Corpse’s HD size (d1 -> d2 -> d3 -> d4 -> d6 -> d8 -> d10 -> d12), the amount of skill points per level by 1, increase a save from always +0 to bad or from bad to good, increase BAB from +0 per level to +1/4 per level to +1/2 per level to +3/4 per level to +1 per level, gain a single skill as a class skill, or gain a feat that grants armour/shield/weapon proficiencies.

Additionally, you can improve an ability score by 1, or increase the distance you can drag yourself as a full-round action by 5 ft, or increase the damage your I Fight With My Brain! mental bolt deals by 1d6. However, you cannot increase the distance by more than 5 ft per level in this class or increase the mental bolt's damage by more than 1d6 per level in this class.

Furthermore, at any point in the class’ progression, a Corpse can trade in two Improvements to gain Str 1 and Dex 1 and a base movement speed of 30 ft.

Lastly, a Corpse can also use one Improvement to make his brain deal lethal damage. If he chooses this option, he also gains a +4 bonus to attack rolls if he decided to deal nonlethal damage with his brain.

You’re Awesome!: At level 8, you become awesome! Your Str, Dex, Wis and Cha scores all go up by 1! Now they are 2! 1 + 1 = 2! You can do math, because you’re awesome! (Of course, if you increased any of these scores through your Improvement class feature prior to this, they won't be 2, but will still go up by 1.)

Adaptation
The incredibly low mental ability scores might make it hard to RP a Broken Corpse true to what they should be like: corpses that don't work they way they should. You can rule that awaken undead or awaken construct work on the Broken Corpse, or simply let them start with ability scores of Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 3. This should make a Broken Corpse role-playable for most - though their physical capabilities might still make it a little tough sometimes. Of course, the Int increasements of I Fight With My Brain! should be taken out if this is done.

Lix Lorn
2010-09-13, 05:59 AM
Useless at level 1, and actually decent at level 6? XD

Morph Bark
2010-09-13, 08:10 AM
Exactly. :smallbiggrin:

Magicyop
2010-09-13, 08:20 AM
This cracks me up, especially if I imagine the broken corpse making comments similar to the class features. Great class, I'd say give it more levels though, to the point where it can actually become highly effective.

Can you make it so an option for improvement is adding 1d6 to your mental shock or 5 ft. to your drag distance?

Also, what does the corpse flaw do? Just make you dead?

DaragosKitsune
2010-09-13, 09:14 PM
That is exactly what it does. You get an extra feat, but you are dead.

olelia
2010-09-13, 09:29 PM
Broken image in spoiler :smallfrown:

Temotei
2010-09-13, 09:51 PM
I think that image code should be . It fits better, I think. :smallamused:

Morph Bark
2010-09-14, 02:20 AM
That is exactly what it does. You get an extra feat, but you are dead.

Exactly this, yeah.

Broken image in spoiler :smallfrown:

I think that image code should be . It fits better, I think. :smallamused:

Fixed. :smallbiggrin: Insofar as it can be "fixed" in the sense that there still is no image due to me not having found myself capable enough of finding a picture both appropriate to the topic and not highly disturbing or real rather than the comedic direction I had intended this to go into.

Zhalath
2010-09-16, 09:12 PM
So I can kill people with my brain? Once my Intelligence is massive in this class (cuz it totally will be), I'll be sure to become a psion, for more brain-killing powers.

Also, I'm sure this makes you a hit at parties.

Temotei
2010-09-16, 11:15 PM
How about this (http://members.tripod.com/motomom/CorpseGroom2.jpg)?

DracoDei
2010-09-16, 11:44 PM
How about this (http://members.tripod.com/motomom/CorpseGroom2.jpg)?
Well, he is a bit too nicely dressed for a commoner, but other than that, it looks about right.

Temotei
2010-09-16, 11:52 PM
Well, he is a bit too nicely dressed for a commoner, but other than that, it looks about right.

Perhaps he has a few levels in this class, arbitrarily granting more wealth (WBL).

Morph Bark
2010-09-17, 04:33 AM
So I can kill people with my brain? Once my Intelligence is massive in this class (cuz it totally will be), I'll be sure to become a psion, for more brain-killing powers.

Also, I'm sure this makes you a hit at parties.

Yeah, but remember that at level 1 of this class, your Int is 3. At level 5, it's 7. You will need one of 'em Tomes for +5 inherent Int and some other items to keep up your Psion-ness.

Perhaps he has a few levels in this class, arbitrarily granting more wealth (WBL).

That's, as they say, rich. :smallbiggrin:

Lix Lorn
2010-09-17, 05:53 AM
If It weren't for the Int=3 thing, this would be a PC class. And a FUN one.

Morph Bark
2010-09-17, 10:15 AM
If It weren't for the Int=3 thing, this would be a PC class. And a FUN one.

I can always include the possibility for them to be affected by some sort of awaken spell that takes away the I Fight With My Brain! Int increases (to balance it out of course). Ending up with Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 3 wouldn't be bad for this.

I'm actually still amused why nobody has asked the question on how to get into this PrC in the first place. :smallamused:

Lix Lorn
2010-09-17, 10:21 AM
That'd be epic.

Okay, how do you enter the class? XD

Morph Bark
2010-09-17, 10:55 AM
That'd be epic.

Okay, how do you enter the class? XD

Good question, I don't know. XD

To be perfectly honest, after making the Chicken Master and the Pig Master, I looked over the list of Commoner flaws in Dragon 330 and thought the Corpse flaw would be most hilarious to work with next. I pondered on what would fit for a class for someone who isn't living, undead or construct, but I didn't really think about how one would actually be able to enter it.

It is, of course, possible to enter by simply being raised or resurrected (since you still possess the flaw, you just no longer suffer from it) and just deal with -2 Con for one level and needing to pay off a debt to a Cleric for the first few levels, but once you'd take a level in the class it'd be like "BAM! You now no longer have Str, Dex or Con scores! Your Int, Wis and Cha drop horrendously! HAHAHA!"

Another possibility would be that because you are dead, you rule you have lost a level, thus being level 0, which is impossible so you get a level in something you can get a level in, so instead of a Commoner level you take a level in this. It's paradoxical and works a lot like negative level shenanigans that I've heard about, so I'm not sure if that'd work. XD

The third possibility I can think of is... it was super-magic that made you gain a level, a kind of magic that also works on objects (or at least on corpses).

So... yeah. :smalltongue:

Magicyop
2010-09-17, 05:38 PM
"BAM! You now no longer have Str, Dex or Con scores! Your Int, Wis and Cha drop horrendously! HAHAHA!"

*giggle*. That's hilarious.

firemagehao
2010-09-17, 06:23 PM
This could make a good opponent for low-level PC's.
Nice job, can you do one for the 'delicious' flaw next?

Lix Lorn
2010-09-17, 06:28 PM
Check his signature. He has. XD

Morph Bark
2010-09-17, 06:29 PM

Check his signature. He has. XD

Yeap. After this, the Chicken Master and the Pig Master, I made the Tasted (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168510). I am actually still working on the Tasted, while this one and the other two are prettymuch done.

DracoDei
2010-09-17, 06:33 PM
Regarding class entry: What if you had enough XPs to get your next level, but had not actually trained in commoner. Then you take the flaw (thus dying), then get your first level in this (since it requires even less training than commoner, or even sorcerer).

Actually, he already did (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168510). Editing it in with the other two links at the top might be good though... I know I have a series of undead I have been working on for years, and every time I finish another one, I try my best to go back and edit the links in all the other ones.

firemagehao
2010-09-17, 08:29 PM
I now realize that.
How about one for the weresheep flaw.

Magicyop
2010-09-17, 08:33 PM
I really think you should add the following things to improvement to make it more playable:

-Exchange improvements for ability scores on a 1-1 basis
-Boost damage of mind shock by 1d6
-Increase telekinetic drag distance

Morph Bark
2010-09-18, 03:35 AM
I now realize that.
How about one for the weresheep flaw.

That was one of the flaws I had thoughts of working on next, actually. :smallamused:

I really think you should add the following things to improvement to make it more playable:

-Exchange improvements for ability scores on a 1-1 basis
-Boost damage of mind shock by 1d6
-Increase telekinetic drag distance

Hmmm... that's certainly a good idea. If I do that perhaps I might as well increase the amount of levels to 8.

Magicyop
2010-09-18, 10:34 AM
That was one of the flaws I had thoughts of working on next, actually. :smallamused:

Hmmm... that's certainly a good idea. If I do that perhaps I might as well increase the amount of levels to 8.

Yes, yes, do so! I would actually play this class if you added those things to improvement and added two more levels.

Morph Bark
2010-09-18, 01:12 PM
The changes have been made. Improvement now has an extra paragraph, the class has 8 levels now and You're Awesome! has been moved to level 8.

Magicyop
2010-09-18, 01:21 PM
EXCELLENT! I'm now looking forward to playing this someday.

Because I'm awesome!

Morph Bark
2010-09-18, 06:45 PM
EXCELLENT! I'm now looking forward to playing this someday.

Because I'm awesome!

You will be once you hit level 8!

Urpriest
2010-09-21, 01:43 PM
As an amusing sidenote, the fact that this class grants exponential feats for proficiencies, rather than simply granting proficiencies, makes this an ideal candidate for the uber-cheesy Dark Chaos Shuffle. I do not see this as a negative trait.

Realms of Chaos
2010-09-21, 08:49 PM
As an amusing sidenote, the fact that this class grants exponential feats for proficiencies, rather than simply granting proficiencies, makes this an ideal candidate for the uber-cheesy Dark Chaos Shuffle. I do not see this as a negative trait.

uber-cheesy? What feats would really help a Commoner 1/Broken corpse 8 with 1 Str, 1 Dex, 9 Int, 2 Wis, 2 Cha, 12 hp, no BAB or saving throw bonuses, and a mere 10 skill points? :smallconfused:

I mean, 36 feats is whole lot but you've probably traded too much just to get them.

DracoDei
2010-09-21, 09:17 PM
Cross link (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89268) to a thread that explains what the Dark Chaos Shuffle is (I hadn't heard of it before this).

Fako
2010-09-21, 11:49 PM
I may be missing something, but I don't see anything preventing a character from acquiring the flaw, being revived as a Ghost, and then taking levels in this class... You'd still need an Awaken Undead spell to get decent stats for RP purposes, but you'd have a decent fly speed...

Of course, this brings to mind the idea of having said ghost go to a mage to have his brain augmented with the Ghost Touch enchantment... might be worth it... :smallbiggrin:

Morph Bark
2010-09-22, 05:29 AM
I may be missing something, but I don't see anything preventing a character from acquiring the flaw, being revived as a Ghost, and then taking levels in this class... You'd still need an Awaken Undead spell to get decent stats for RP purposes, but you'd have a decent fly speed...

Of course, this brings to mind the idea of having said ghost go to a mage to have his brain augmented with the Ghost Touch enchantment... might be worth it... :smallbiggrin:

That is certainly a possibility, yes, although if you wanted that as a PC you'd definitely need DM approval since the creation method for ghosts is... well there isn't a surefire way to become one.

You also wouldn't need to worry about a lot of things since you get some spell-like abilities, though you'll still want a Dex score because otherwise you still can't fly.

uber-cheesy? What feats would really help a Commoner 1/Broken corpse 8 with 1 Str, 1 Dex, 9 Int, 2 Wis, 2 Cha, 12 hp, no BAB or saving throw bonuses, and a mere 10 skill points? :smallconfused:

I mean, 36 feats is whole lot but you've probably traded too much just to get them.

A lot of Aberrant feats, mostly of kinds that give greater bonuses if you have more Aberrant feats? Or the same thing for Psionic or Incarnum feats?

Bind Vestige and its improvement feats for a two abilities of a level 3 vestige might be nifty. Add in enough soulmelds to cover the entire body (you'll need Undead Meldshaper, which you can take despite being undead, I think?), perhaps some martial maneuvers that aren't highly Str/Dex/Con dependant (unless you managed to increase those decently enough). If the DM rules that NPC classes get lower WBL than PC classes, get Vow of Poverty and such. Or do that anyway and then Dark Chaos shuffle them away for other things. Get Assassin's Stance (or whatever it was called exactly) and Craven for some Sneak Attack, add in Iaijutsu Focus, Karmic Strike or Robilar's Gambit... sure, you're never going to be as powerful as Tier 3 and higher, but you might get far.

Of course, putting everything in those proficiency feats would just be silly.

EDIT: Plus, of course Urpriest meant that the Dark Chaos shuffle is uber-cheesy, not that using it would make this class into something cheesy.

Cieyrin
2010-09-22, 12:44 PM
That is certainly a possibility, yes, although if you wanted that as a PC you'd definitely need DM approval since the creation method for ghosts is... well there isn't a surefire way to become one.

Not entirely true, given Ghostwalk gives some rather streamlined rules for becoming a ghost quickly and easily. Sure, Eidolon and Eidolancer aren't exactly the same thing as the standard Ghost template but the book is there to make being a ghost player-viable.

Now, while I applaud you for being able to make a PRC at all for this flaw, I do have a couple thoughts about it.

What exact state are you in as a Broken Corpse? You're an object that still has your creature type? It's rather incredibly vague. Plus, do you still get whatever racial features you had or are those gone, too? I'd like to be able to actually invest my skill points into something, since no class skills means everything costs 2 skill points, meaning humans are practically the only one spending their skill points till your Int is high enough to not utterly squash out any points you do get. Yeah, you can get a class skill with Improvement but that's not saying much, honestly.

What are the statistics of your +1 throwing returning brain, once you're able to use it? 1d6 x2 Bludgeoning, perhaps? maybe do nonlethal or somesuch.

Normally there isn't a 1/4 BAB track, so I wonder why that's available as an Improvement when saves go immediately to poor. It just seems to unnecessarily limit your progress. I could say the same for HD, which brings me to whether improvements are retroactive on previous levels, like if you get a bigger HD or more skill points/level or you improve one of your save tracks or BAB, if the previous Broken Corpse levels now have those improvements?

For You're Awesome!, what happens with the Str and Dex point if you didn't invest any Improvements at getting them to not be nonabilities? Are they just squandered?

Finally, why only 8 levels? It's an odd number without any obvious reason, like True Necromancer putting you at exactly 20th at the end of the class. The only reason I can see is b/c your Int is 10 by that level but that seems kinda off to me. Why not make it a full 10 levels? Dark Chaos Shuffles aside, I don't see any reason why you couldn't. Either that or maybe pump it up through 19 levels so you can have a full Commoner 1/Broken Corpse 19 at ECL 20! :smallwink: You might run out of things to Improve by then but I don't see that as that big of a problem, as you're already a BROKEN Corpse, so why not make you actually broken? :smalltongue:

Just my 2 coppers. Take as you will.

Magicyop
2010-09-22, 12:58 PM
Do the math. 19 levels of Broken Corpse and some serious changes would have to be made to improvement. Number of improvements you'd have at that level:

190. Follow my logic here...
Full BaB leaves you with 186.
d12 HD-> 179
Good fort, will, and reflex saves -> 173.

You can, after already having full BAB, d12 HD, and three good saves, convert 173 units into something crazy. Add 20 to each of your 5 stats, now you have at LEAST 22 in everything with no gear, not counting the ups you get every four levels... And still 73 units left!

Get 30 free feats.. and still have 43 left!

Shovel it all into mental shock and you now have an ability which deals 44d6 damage with no save, no spell resistance, and no chance to avoid. Along with your D12 HD, good saves, full bab, 20 in every stat, immunity to positive and negative energy, 30 FREE feats(make that 31, you get one from being a corpse in the first place), hardness 1, and a free +1 throwing returning item.

Yeah... that wouldn't work out. :-P

Speaking of feats, however-- M-Bark, would you consider making some Awesome feats for the Broken Corpse? :smalltongue:

Realms of Chaos
2010-09-22, 01:04 PM
How about this...

Can't Die Properly
Your body isn't fully dead... somehow.
Benefit: If you possess all prerequisites, you may exchange a single commoner class level for a level in broken corpse.

DracoDei
2010-09-22, 01:14 PM
Int 10 is all the reason needed to make it 8 level. 10 levels (or 5 or 3) levels for a PrC is just a meaningless convention to me.

Also, this class is SUPPOSED to be very very weak. That is half the point of the joke.

Magicyop
2010-09-22, 01:40 PM
Int 10 is all the reason needed to make it 8 level. 10 is just a meaningless convention to me.

Also, this class is SUPPOSED to be very very weak. That is half the point of the joke.

10 isn't a meaningless convention... 10 is the base intelligence that a normal person (probably a commoner) would have. By level 8 you have regained pretty much whatever sentience you had before dying.

DracoDei
2010-09-22, 01:47 PM
Sorry, I was unclear... I meant that the 3, 5, or 10 convention for number of levels in a PrC is pretty arbitrary to me. I will try to edit to clarify.

Cieyrin
2010-09-22, 03:23 PM
Do the math. 19 levels of Broken Corpse and some serious changes would have to be made to improvement. Number of improvements you'd have at that level:

d12 HD-> 179

You can, after already having full BAB, d12 HD, and three good saves, convert 173 units into something crazy. Add 20 to each of your 5 stats, now you have at LEAST 22 in everything with no gear, not counting the ups you get every four levels... And still 73 units left!

Shovel it all into mental shock and you now have an ability which deals 44d6 damage with no save, no spell resistance, and no chance to avoid. Along with your D12 HD, good saves, full bab, 20 in every stat, immunity to positive and negative energy, 30 FREE feats(make that 31, you get one from being a corpse in the first place), hardness 1, and a free +1 throwing returning item.

Speaking of feats, however-- M-Bark, would you consider making some Awesome feats for the Broken Corpse? :smalltongue:

Did you notice the smileys from when I mentioned 19 levels to the end of hat paragraph? That wasn't mean to be the serious part of the suggestion. :smalltongue:

But yeah, I don't see where ending the class at 8 levels isn't any more arbitrary when the other Flawed Commoner PRCs are standard at 5.

How about this...

Can't Die Properly
Your body isn't fully dead... somehow.
Benefit: If you possess all prerequisites, you may exchange a single commoner class level for a level in broken corpse.

That feat should be only gainable as the feat gained for having the Corpse flaw. :smalltongue:

Morph Bark
2010-09-22, 04:50 PM
Not entirely true, given Ghostwalk gives some rather streamlined rules for becoming a ghost quickly and easily. Sure, Eidolon and Eidolancer aren't exactly the same thing as the standard Ghost template but the book is there to make being a ghost player-viable.

Given that Ghostwalk is a campaign setting in its own right and the way ghosts work is wildly different from "standard" DnD, this is not really an issue I think I need to address.

Now, while I applaud you for being able to make a PRC at all for this flaw, I do have a couple thoughts about it.

Thanks. Let's see what you got.

What exact state are you in as a Broken Corpse? You're an object that still has your creature type? It's rather incredibly vague. Plus, do you still get whatever racial features you had or are those gone, too?

You count as an object and you still have your creature type from when you are alive, yes. If there is any point where I might best clarify that, I'll go back and do that. You also don't lose racial features by dying - although when you enter this PrC your racial ability modifiers no longer count, of course.

I'd like to be able to actually invest my skill points into something, since no class skills means everything costs 2 skill points, meaning humans are practically the only one spending their skill points till your Int is high enough to not utterly squash out any points you do get. Yeah, you can get a class skill with Improvement but that's not saying much, honestly.

Sure. You can still invest 1 skill point into a cross class skill to get 1/2 rank by RAW, or you can just use your 1st-level improvement to get a single class skill of your choice.

What are the statistics of your +1 throwing returning brain, once you're able to use it? 1d6 x2 Bludgeoning, perhaps? maybe do nonlethal or somesuch.

Technically, it'd count as an improvised weapon, since it isn't made to be a weapon. It'd deal damage as whatever weapon it most closely resembles, so most likely it'd be like a thrown rock, prettymuch like a large sling bullet. Since it is squishy though... yeah, 1d6 x2 bludgeoning nonlethal sounds adequate.

Normally there isn't a 1/4 BAB track, so I wonder why that's available as an Improvement when saves go immediately to poor. It just seems to unnecessarily limit your progress. I could say the same for HD, which brings me to whether improvements are retroactive on previous levels, like if you get a bigger HD or more skill points/level or you improve one of your save tracks or BAB, if the previous Broken Corpse levels now have those improvements?

Normally there also isn't a continuous +0 save progression, 1 skill point per level or a d1 Hit Die, but hey, here we are!

For You're Awesome!, what happens with the Str and Dex point if you didn't invest any Improvements at getting them to not be nonabilities? Are they just squandered?

If by "squandered" you mean "you don't get them" then yeap, prettymuch.

d12 HD-> 179

Heh. :smallamused:

If you'd shove it all into your mental attack and kept a readied action to blast someone... that'd be yowchie too. Yummy cheesy yowchie. People best beware! You're incredibly weak, but as long as you don't move you can kill everyone who comes close!

A possibility...

...but I already also have some anti-feats (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160758) that work really well with this PrC.

Does that count?

But yeah, I don't see where ending the class at 8 levels isn't any more arbitrary when the other Flawed Commoner PRCs are standard at 5.

Because while the others all neatly fit into 5 levels, 5 levels seemed too short to me for this one. That's why I had it at 6 levels before, but that is outside non-standard too. Plus, consider the fact that the other Commoner Flaw PrCs have requirements beyond having the Flaw. My intention was to make it so that if you had a bunch of Commoners with those Flaws all getting into their respective PrCs as early as possible, that once they'd hit the last level of that PrC, they'd be roughly the same level as one another.

Though they'd still all be, what... Tier 5 tops? Low-Tier 4 if they specialize very much? (Admittably only the Broken Corpse can really "specialize", the Chicken Master is much more versatile without needing to choose his options every level and the Tasted is the strongest of the bunch.)

Cieyrin
2010-09-22, 05:41 PM
If you'd shove it all into your mental attack and kept a readied action to blast someone... that'd be yowchie too. Yummy cheesy yowchie. People best beware! You're incredibly weak, but as long as you don't move you can kill everyone who comes close!

Only issue with that is you can't ready full round actions. Learned that the hard way when I had a character with a Sugliin. :smallfrown:

Morph Bark
2010-09-23, 05:37 AM
Only issue with that is you can't ready full round actions. Learned that the hard way when I had a character with a Sugliin. :smallfrown:

Hmmm... how about some ADDITIONAL PSIONS FEATS?

DEAD BRAINS OVER LIVING BRAWN
Prerequisites: I Fight With My Brain! class feature, You're Awesome! class feature, Str 1, Dex 1, Int 9
Benefit: You can use your Int modifier in place of your Str and Dex modifiers on Str- and Dex-based skill checks.

FASTBOLT SPECIAL
Prerequisites: I Fight With My Brain! class feature
Benefit: Your mental shock now only takes a standard action to use.

USE MA FORCE
Benefit: You can, as a free action once per turn, give a +2 bonus on an Int-based check or skill check to an ally within 30 feet. You must have at least 5 ranks in a skill you aid this way.

WHAT A DRAG!
Benefit: Your telekinetic drag now only takes a standard action to use. You can move 5 feet as a standard action! Woo!

WHAT A DRAGRACE!
Prerequisites: I Fight With My Brain! class feature, What A Drag!
Benefit: Your telekinetic drag now only takes a move action to use. You can move 5 feet as a move action! Woo!

Magicyop
2010-09-23, 06:39 AM
Awesome! Does "Dead Brains over Living Brawn" let you substitute int for the purposes of standing up and doing stuff too? Or just skills?

Morph Bark
2010-09-23, 07:43 AM
Awesome! Does "Dead Brains over Living Brawn" let you substitute int for the purposes of standing up and doing stuff too? Or just skills?

I can make it so that it also works on normal Str and Dex checks, but standing up doesn't require a check. :smallwink:

...hm, I just realized that a Gnome Broken Corpse who spends some Improvement on being able to move gets Str 1 and Dex 1... and 30 ft movement speed. Should I change that or just make this PrC a tidbit better for the wee ones? :smalltongue:

Magicyop
2010-09-23, 10:57 AM
I can make it so that it also works on normal Str and Dex checks, but standing up doesn't require a check. :smallwink:

...hm, I just realized that a Gnome Broken Corpse who spends some Improvement on being able to move gets Str 1 and Dex 1... and 30 ft movement speed. Should I change that or just make this PrC a tidbit better for the wee ones? :smalltongue:

Leave the little people alone. :smallwink:

Thugorp
2010-10-05, 05:27 PM
So, here's a question. What happens when it hits, -10h.p.?

or rather my question is, does the class work like this? :

It makes sence, commoners, "die," at 0h.p.(all npcs do) that said, there is no reason to assume that they don't continue to drop to -10(I mean there are lots of reasons to assume they don't but it is never explicitly said). so lets say that a, Broken Corps character died at 0(makes seance so far) and then over the next few minots or so, continued to lose h.p. until it hit -10h.p.(makes somewhat less seance). and then he became a broken corps(MAKES NO SEANCE and I love it). When the carkis gains its first level of Broken Corps, it's h.p. increases to -9, when it gets its second h.p. goes to -8, and so on until 8th. lvl. and -2h.p..

This sort of thing could make seance to me. If that is how it works(and I am asking if it is) if the Broken Corps ever gains enough h.p. so that its total equals 1, does it loose all levels of, Broken Corps, and go back to being what ever it previously was? also, what happens when the living corps's h.p. drops back down all the way to -10 or lower?

If this is not how it works, how does it work? and same questions, what happens when the Broken Corps reaches -10/-11, and what happens when the living corps reaches 1h.p.?

DracoDei
2010-10-05, 05:33 PM
For the record, I always have NPCs and PCs die both work the same as far as death goes.

Thugorp
2010-10-05, 06:05 PM
either way, I still want to know how it works... I mean, it is kind of important isn't it? *to be clear, that was said with a smile on my face, :-D*

Magicyop
2010-10-06, 07:05 AM
either way, I still want to know how it works... I mean, it is kind of important isn't it? *to be clear, that was said with a smile on my face, :-D*

No, not... not really. You take the corpse flaw at character creation, which means you've been dead for who-knows-how-long, so HP isn't important. When I cast Animate Dead in a graveyard, my DM doesn't try to figure out how many negative HP Farmer Joe had when his wife stabbed him with a cheese knife.

This would not die if 0 when played like a player, and many DMs make commoners die at -10 too. If this is an NPC class it doesn't matter, and if it's played by a player, then they would still die at -10.

The hp pool that you have is no longer your health now that you're a Broken Corpse, but rather, the durability until your body is hacked into so many unusable parts that it cannot work. I assume like any non-living creature, after it becomes a Broken Corpse, this dies when it hits 0 hp.

Morph Bark
2010-10-07, 04:10 AM
So, here's a question. What happens when it hits, -10h.p.?

or rather my question is, does the class work like this? :

It makes sence, commoners, "die," at 0h.p.(all npcs do) that said, there is no reason to assume that they don't continue to drop to -10(I mean there are lots of reasons to assume they don't but it is never explicitly said). so lets say that a, Broken Corps character died at 0(makes seance so far) and then over the next few minots or so, continued to lose h.p. until it hit -10h.p.(makes somewhat less seance). and then he became a broken corps(MAKES NO SEANCE and I love it). When the carkis gains its first level of Broken Corps, it's h.p. increases to -9, when it gets its second h.p. goes to -8, and so on until 8th. lvl. and -2h.p..

To me, that doesn't make sense and would make the class pretty much useless, really, as you would still be unconscious and unable to act if you were below 0 hp unless you had the Die Hard feat - too harsh limitations, by far.

No, not... not really. You take the corpse flaw at character creation, which means you've been dead for who-knows-how-long, so HP isn't important. When I cast Animate Dead in a graveyard, my DM doesn't try to figure out how many negative HP Farmer Joe had when his wife stabbed him with a cheese knife.

This would not die if 0 when played like a player, and many DMs make commoners die at -10 too. If this is an NPC class it doesn't matter, and if it's played by a player, then they would still die at -10.

The hp pool that you have is no longer your health now that you're a Broken Corpse, but rather, the durability until your body is hacked into so many unusable parts that it cannot work. I assume like any non-living creature, after it becomes a Broken Corpse, this dies when it hits 0 hp.

Actually, while I'd've agreed with you at first, after thinking about it I came to the conclusion that they'd be destroyed (or re-die) at 0 hp. This is because they lack a Constitution score and as such it would make sense for them to follow the same guidelines as Undead and Constructs. And even if a PC would be Undead they'd die at 0 hp.

Considering the Broken Corpse is somewhat in-between the status of Undead and Construct (since they are considered to be objects that keep their original type they had while alive), they would therefore be destroyed/die at 0 hp.

Magicyop
2010-10-07, 07:02 AM
I assume like any non-living creature, after it becomes a Broken Corpse, this dies when it hits 0 hp.

Actually, while I'd've agreed with you at first, after thinking about it I came to the conclusion that they'd be destroyed (or re-die) at 0 hp. This is because they lack a Constitution score and as such it would make sense for them to follow the same guidelines as Undead and Constructs. And even if a PC would be Undead they'd die at 0 hp.

I underlined the last line of my post for clarity. I wasn't disagreeing with that sentiment. I was saying that the Commoner could probably get to -10 hit points before becoming a broken corpse. I even said that it would die at 0 hp, in my opinion. :smalltongue:

Morph Bark
2010-10-07, 08:20 AM
I underlined the last line of my post for clarity. I wasn't disagreeing with that sentiment. I was saying that the Commoner could probably get to -10 hit points before becoming a broken corpse. I even said that it would die at 0 hp, in my opinion. :smalltongue:

My apologies then. But yes, before becoming a Broken Corpse, a Commoner could get to -10. :smalltongue:

Thugorp
2010-10-08, 06:48 PM
To me, that doesn't make sense and would make the class pretty much useless, really, as you would still be unconscious and unable to act if you were below 0 hp unless you had the Die Hard feat - too harsh limitations, by far.

Considering the Broken Corpse is somewhat in-between the status of Undead and Construct (since they are considered to be objects that keep their original type they had while alive), they would therefore be destroyed/die at 0 hp.

Thank you for the clarificaton. I wanted to be sure, before I suggested it to my players. I mean, I was wondering if you just intended it to be invincible(being dead already, I didn't think getting to 0 or -10 would affect it) Thanks. :-)

THIS IS Hilarious you sir, deserve a cookie. :-D