PDA

View Full Version : Help me build a mindbender-like PC

Nich_Critic
2010-09-13, 09:40 AM
Ok, so here's the deal.

I'm starting in new campaign shortly. No word on the starting level, so we can assume 1 for now. The setting will have a great deal of social situations, with a fair bit of combat as well. Psions aren't allowed

I want to play a character that controls people's minds. However, I really don't want to play a caster. I hate having to ration my highest level spells. I would rather be able to use my best technique all day long.

I was considering a warlock with the charm invocation. That's a good start, but I can only affect one person at once with it, even while I'm casting it all day. Also, I wouldn't get any more techniques after I get charm, so I would be better off being a sorcerer or beguiler and using their x/day unlimited target charms, and also getting the higher level enchantments. I was going to go mindbender after that, but it's not really worth it for the 4/day suggestion, 4/day charm and 1/day dominate, since I could get all those spells at x/day as a sorcerer without losing any caster levels, and still have uses.

I really wanted to play Complete Scoundrel's psibond agent, on the principle that while I require one power point, none of the abilities use it so I'm not really psionic, but the DM wouldn't go for it. I liked it because the psibond's abilities are all day, with up to 3 (I think) links at a time. I could deal with that.

What I'm looking for is something non-psionic that gets me slightly close to a psibond agent's abilities, that I can cast all day without worrying about spell slots. Is my request even possible, or am I completely screwed?

Prime32
2010-09-13, 09:43 AM
Psions aren't allowedI just have to ask - why not? It's exactly what you're looking for, while being less powerful than a caster.
(Remember, YOU CANNOT SPEND MORE PP ON A POWER THAN YOUR MANIFESTER LEVEL)

EDIT: Wait...

I really wanted to play Complete Scoundrel's psibond agent, on the principle that while I require one power point, none of the abilities use it so I'm not really psionic, but the DM wouldn't go for it. I liked it because the psibond's abilities are all day, with up to 3 (I think) links at a time. I could deal with that.Your DM won't even let you have the Psionic subtype? :smallconfused:

calar
2010-09-13, 09:51 AM
I just have to ask - why not? It's exactly what you're looking for, while being less powerful than a caster.
(Remember, YOU CANNOT SPEND MORE PP ON A POWER THAN YOUR MANIFESTER LEVEL)

Most DMs don't like Psionics for the unbalanced aspect they bring to most campaigns (ie ignoring things like spell resistance and antimagic). The only way having psionics really works at all is if they are fully integrated into the campaign, which is not a priority for most DMs. Its not that uncommon.

Prime32
2010-09-13, 09:52 AM
Most DMs don't like Psionics for the unbalanced aspect they bring to most campaigns (ie ignoring things like spell resistance and antimagic). The only way having psionics really works at all is if they are fully integrated into the campaign, which is not a priority for most DMs. Its not that uncommon.Psionics don't ignore spell resistance and antimagic. :smallconfused: There's an entire section (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicPowersOverview.htm#combiningPsionicAndMagic alEffects) emphasising how they function identically to magic and can be defended against in the same ways.

The default rule for the interaction of psionics and magic is simple: Powers interact with spells and spells interact with powers in the same way a spell or normal spell-like ability interacts with another spell or spell-like ability. This is known as psionics-magic transparency.

Psionics-Magic Transparency
Though not explicitly called out in the spell descriptions or magic item descriptions, spells, spell-like abilities, and magic items that could potentially affect psionics do affect psionics.

Spell resistance is effective against powers, using the same mechanics. Likewise, power resistance is effective against spells, using the same mechanics as spell resistance. If a creature has one kind of resistance, it is assumed to have the other. (The effects have similar ends despite having been brought about by different means.)

All spells that dispel magic have equal effect against powers of the same level using the same mechanics, and vice versa.

The spell detect magic detects powers, their number, and their strength and location within 3 rounds (though a Psicraft check is necessary to identify the discipline of the psionic aura).

Dead magic areas are also dead psionics areas.

dextercorvia
2010-09-13, 09:54 AM
Diplomancer perhaps?

Bard5/DFA1/Mindbender1/Virtuoso10

You can advance your 'all day' invocations with the Mindbender/Virtuoso Casting. Virtuoso gets you Bardic Music advancement, including some mind effecting stuff. Mindbender gets you telepathy. Don't forget Beguiling Influence. You can dip Marshal for +Cha to Cha.

Edit: I forgot to mention that you DFA gives you Dragontouched, so you can take Draconic Heritage Battle to get [Sonic] on your DFI for all of those faithful 'allies' you have influenced.

Nich_Critic
2010-09-13, 10:36 AM
Diplomancer perhaps?

Bard5/DFA1/Mindbender1/Virtuoso10

You can advance your 'all day' invocations with the Mindbender/Virtuoso Casting. Virtuoso gets you Bardic Music advancement, including some mind effecting stuff. Mindbender gets you telepathy. Don't forget Beguiling Influence. You can dip Marshal for +Cha to Cha.

Edit: I forgot to mention that you DFA gives you Dragontouched, so you can take Draconic Heritage Battle to get [Sonic] on your DFI for all of those faithful 'allies' you have influenced.

That looks... Actually rather good :).

As for psionics, it's 1/2 not understanding the system (or wanting to try to), and 1/2 doesn't really like psionic flavor. I think it's a matter of him not wanting to open the floodgates to all sorts of psionic shenanigans later. An outright ban on anything psionic is much easier to enforce then a pseudo-maybe sorta ban.

dextercorvia
2010-09-13, 10:42 AM
Just be careful to not overuse your maxed out diplomacy. It is brokenly powerful as written, so be prepared for your DM to apply heft 'situational' modifiers to every situation. You are better off using your Bardic Music for things that almost certainly will fail the save, and only trying diplomacy in a strictly social encounter.

Person_Man
2010-09-13, 11:07 AM
You can also do a mind controlling Grapple build, thanks to the Chain of Obeisance: +2 Unholy Spiked Chain. If you successfully Pin your enemy in a Grapple, they must make a Will Save or be dominated as per the uber Dominate Monster. Requires True Believer feat and 13 HD. 35,600 gp, Complete Divine pg 94.

Since psionics and Psychic Warrior are out, you could still pull it off with an Incarnum or Binder build.

Shedu Crown or soulmeld bound to crown chakra grants continuous Telepathy. Unicorn Horn and Beast Tamer Circlet soulmelds buffs Wild Empathy and Handle Animal, allowing you to effect the attitudes of Animals and Magical Beasts (plus low Int Aberrations and Dragons with the right magic items). Silvertongue Mask buffs Diplomacy and Bluff. Girillion Arms buffs Grapple.

Naberius vestige to buff Disguise, Bluff, and Diplomacy (a lot) and for fast ability damage healing (to abuse drugs or Vile feats, such as Dark Speech, which is an awesome Fear and Confusion effect). Dantalion for Read Thoughts, Awe of Dantalion (enemies can't attack you for one round, synergizes great with Grapple), and bonus to Knowledge checks. Zagon vestige for Improved Grapple, Constrict, and Grapple size bonus.

Maybe something like Binder 1/Totemist 2/Incarnate 4/Necrocarnate X.