PDA

View Full Version : Making a gestalt Halfling Rock-Skipping Champion

Bulwer
2010-09-13, 09:59 AM
This is for a 10th-level gestalt game here on the boards, and I was hoping to get some input on what's best for optimizing throwing.

The plan is to make an old (age category) Strongheart Halfling who uses Zen Archery or Insightful Strike to use Wis for attacks.

One side can be full PsyWar, which is handy for lots of things. The other side needs to be full BaB if I want 4 levels of skiprock to start, but I can lose a point without it being a tragedy.

The DM's allowed using Wis to qualify for Manyshot/Greater Manyshot, so precision damage is in.

Two flaws, so I might be able to afford going SA Fighter instead of just dipping Fighter2. Swashbuckler's no good because I can't finesse at range.

Swordsage's Wis-to-damage would be fine if I had the BaB, but I don't.

What are some good full-BaB options to full out the other side? Could I viably go Ardent10 instead and still be able to throw? What about Cleric on one side?

BTW, the Halfling Rock-Skipping Champion (http://www.giantitp.com/articles/CsORDNEyp2GRLIhacLj.html) is a homebrew PrC by the Giant.

Flickerdart
2010-09-13, 10:15 AM
With Manyshot and Skipping penalties, you're going to have to crank to-hit to the max if you want to ever hit anything at all. Looking at the X to Y bonus chart, Shiba Protector gives WIS to-hit on its first level, so grab that. If you can afford to pump CHA, there's a million and one things that add CHA to hit.

A Paladin with Serenity would also work nicely for you - full BAB and smiting with your crazy rocks.

Bulwer
2010-09-13, 11:26 AM
Eh, doesn't matter. Manyshot specifies arrows.

Okay, so here's the progression, assuming full BaB up through 8th level at least:

Fl: Point Blank Shot
Fl: Precise Shot
SH: Rapid Shot
1: Iron Will
PW1: Weapon Focus: Halfling Skiprock
Ftr1: Quick Draw
PW2: Extend Power
Ftr2: Combat Expertise
3: Insightful Strike
PW5: Two-Weapon Fighting
6: Alertness
Ftr6: Manyshot (prereq for Imp.Rapid)
PW8: Improved Critical: Halfling Skiprock
9: Improved Rapid Shot

Ftr6, then I take Rock-Skipping Champion3, which gives me a good portion of the good stuff to start with, then Shiba Protector 1 for Wis to attack, which is a bonus on top of the Wis to attack from Insightful Strike.

Going the TWF route means I can't have an enchanted sling, which means I'm gonna be enhancing the rocks with PsyWar powers, which is fine.

EDIT: Ah, shoot. I shoulda read the class better. Both TWF and Rapid Shot are called out as not working with the skipping feature.

Okay, that's no good. What can I spend my feats on that gets me benefits on that single throw+skips?

Bulwer
2010-09-13, 12:28 PM
Ugh, sorry to double post, but this is a blank page, so to speak.

Assuming I stick with PsyWar10//Ftr6/Skiprock3/Shiba1, this is what remains useful:

Fl: Point Blank Shot
Fl: Precise Shot
SH: Rapid Shot
1: Iron Will
PW1:
Ftr1: Quick Draw
PW2: Extend Power
Ftr2: Weapon Focus: Halfling Skiprock
3: Insightful Strike
PW5:
6: Alertness
Ftr6:
PW8: Improved Critical: Halfling Skiprock
9:

I can have an enchanted sling, though, so that's a perk. +1 Splitting gets me two rocks heading for the same targets with two different rolls.

I'll be slinging rocks with two tricks (probably Bank Shot and Ba-Bump) and two skips 20 feet apart. They'll have a crit range of 19-20, which is a major perk since I'll be rolling six times a turn.

With a Wis of 20 (18+Old age), the first roll will be at +21 (9BaB, 1 enhancement, 1 racial, 2*5 Wisdom, the second at +18, the 3rd at +15.

That's fine, but I'm still only doing 1d3+1 damage per hit. PsyWar helps some, but I'm not even overcoming DR on a lot of stuff.

EDIT: On a full attack, I can do +21/18/15//17/14/11 twice, dealing up to... 48 damage. If I hit everything. Hm.

Radar
2010-09-13, 01:05 PM
With Manyshot and Skipping penalties, you're going to have to crank to-hit to the max if you want to ever hit anything at all. Looking at the X to Y bonus chart, Shiba Protector gives WIS to-hit on its first level, so grab that. If you can afford to pump CHA, there's a million and one things that add CHA to hit.

A Paladin with Serenity would also work nicely for you - full BAB and smiting with your crazy rocks.
That and/or Master Thrower class - among other goodies (like doubling the number of thrown rocks) it lets you make touch attacks instead of regular ones and the only thing you lose is Str bonus to damage.
If one of your teammates decides to play a Bard, then Dragonfire Inspiration will immensly help with your damage output. If you are planning to pump your Cha, then you might consider being a Bard yourself instead of Psychic Warrior (only if, thare won't be anyone to buff you).